Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Yacht-Pocalypse Now

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The crew tries to redeem themselves with returning charter guests after Ashton cancels a beach picnic which throws the entire boat into complete chaos. Rhylee and Ashton continue to butt heads while Tanner and Simone contemplate their relationship. Brian takes Courtney out on a date and is surprised by her reaction. The entire crew goes out to Patong for an explosive night out. After an intense night of drinking, emotions reach a new high causing Kate to make a dramatic decision.

Airs December 23, 2019.

Kate will be back.  Ashton can go any time. 

"Smashton" was just itching to fight with Kate after assaulting her - again.  Too bad the van window didn't break.

Ashton is right about the knots, but is a terrible teacher and manager.  Blowing Riley off, then yelling at her is not going to create the outcome he wants.  You shouldn't lie to your mom on TV either.  The boys get more dickish every week.

No Kate, you are not the only one who works.

That soup looked horrible.  Good they finally fixed the fan after the cloud experience.

That "date" was a dud.  What time and effort did you put in Brian?  Calling for a cart?  He gets whinier  every week.

Phuket looks extremely wild.  

• Love 20

Between this show and Real Howives of Dallas, I've heard the term ping pong show more than I have ever had my whole 62 years of life.  Oh, and got to hear the word donkey show also. I'm with Courtney and would not have left on my own either.  

Kevin, your meals did not look that good.  Even Master Pearson got bored and acted up.   I would never think of eating Greek food  (or Italian) while on a Yacht in Thailand.

• Love 19

Just how big of a bottle of vodka did they get at the club?  I have a 1.75L around the house for holiday gatherings, and it looks tiny by comparison.  They all (save for maybe Courtney) need to slow down drinking that much in that heat.

Ashton's behavior--both the outburst and the unwanted kissing--in the cab was, IMO, worse that that dipshit deckie who got booted off by Eddie (remember--the crew went to a little island for an overnight stay and Eddie tossed his ass to the curb either that night or the next morning).  That guy was disrespectful, but we didn't see him physically go after much smaller crewmates.

It seemed like there was something edited out of the exchange about mothers in the cab.  First, the guys are making light of Tanner's mom, then Kate asks how Ashton's mom is, and he loses his shit.  But later on, in the crew mess, she implies she was trying to take up for Tanner & stop the guys from mocking his mother.  I wonder if that did happen (it didn't on screen).  But in any event, Ashton was a complete asshole and out of line.  Unless Kate called Ashon's mother a cock-juggling whore (TM Joao), he has no reason to go off the rails over a casual aside mentioning his mother.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I was disappointed with Kate tonight, too.  She is usually better than this.  I don’t think we’ve seen her this drunk so often on the show as we are this season.

So this isn't based on Thailand, but the conditions are/were similar. The last time we were in sub-Saharan Africa in the rainy season one of my brothers joked that he never slept, but passed out every night because he was too tired from sweating all day in 95% humidity. So it's really hot. She's drinking. Sweating a ton. She's getting super dehydrated because alcohol is also a dehydrant. We get drünk messy Kate. 

Additionally, our anti-malaria meds turned us into paranoid psychopaths. I wonder if they made the crew take anti-malaria medication. Mefloquine aka Lariam can cause serious neuro-psych side effects. It used to be the default anti-malaria med for the US military until a bunch of soldiers who kept reporting very similar symptoms came back and murdered their families. Could be PTSD, but my little brother while on Lariam TRASHED the house after getting the lowest score in Scrabble. My eldest brother was taking the same trip with his family. You have to get on the meds before you leave. I was on the phone with my sister-in-law and she's yelling at her 12 year old "Why are you acting like a lunatic? I have to punish you 5 times a day." I asked if they were taking Lariam. They were. I recommended that they switch the 12 year old to something else. They did and in about 2 weeks he was much better.

• Useful 21
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, msblossom said:

Ashton should be fired. He has no business ever being cast on this show again and that includes the reunion. 

I can't wait to see them at the reunion, because I want to see them defend this behavior to Captain Lee, and watch him rip them apart.  This is not going to end well for Ashton.  I hope that he gets a one way ticket from Lee's Travel Agency, but I think since there are only two charters left, it won't be happening.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, njbchlover said:
16 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

You raise very good points, and I think I have to agree with you.  On the other hand, if I were Kate, I think I would have been banging on Captain Lee's door and demanding that he have Ashton removed from the ship, not the other way around.  Kate leaving just gave Ashton what he wanted - she gave him the upper hand-now, he can say what a big man he is because he "won".  

Actually I probably would have done that too. I would hate letting Ashton win because I’m very petty. I do wish someone had gone with her to talk to the captain if that was what she wanted to do. I don’t know that the female crew realizes the extent of his rage. On Twitter (you guys I swear I get real news from legitimate sources & use twitter for bravo & dog pictures) it was mentioned Kate didn’t want to tell the captain (per a podcast) so she didn’t get preferential treatment. I don’t know that alcohol wasn’t more of a factor in that over perceived reactions. Thank you for answering so nicely-I always like to hear how other people would handle situations! 

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

So this isn't based on Thailand, but the conditions are/were similar. The last time we were in sub-Saharan Africa in the rainy season one of my brothers joked that he never slept, but passed out every night because he was too tired from sweating all day in 95% humidity. So it's really hot. She's drinking. Sweating a ton. She's getting super dehydrated because alcohol is also a dehydrant. We get drünk messy Kate. 

Additionally, our anti-malaria meds turned us into paranoid psychopaths. I wonder if they made the crew take anti-malaria medication. Mefloquine aka Lariam can cause serious neuro-psych side effects. It used to be the default anti-malaria med for the US military until a bunch of soldiers who kept reporting very similar symptoms came back and murdered their families. Could be PTSD, but my little brother while on Lariam TRASHED the house after getting the lowest score in Scrabble. My eldest brother was taking the same trip with his family. You have to get on the meds before you leave. I was on the phone with my sister-in-law and she's yelling at her 12 year old "Why are you acting like a lunatic? I have to punish you 5 times a day." I asked if they were taking Lariam. They were. I recommended that they switch the 12 year old to something else. They did and in about 2 weeks he was much better.

Well, that makes a lot of sense with regard to the dehydration and alcohol hitting so quickly.

I don't know if the crew was required to take anti-malaria meds, but it is not a standard requirement for travel to Thailand as it is for Africa.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

Actually I probably would have done that too. I would hate letting Ashton win because I’m very petty. I do wish someone had gone with her to talk to the captain if that was what she wanted to do. I don’t know that the female crew realizes the extent of his rage. On Twitter (you guys I swear I get real news from legitimate sources & use twitter for bravo & dog pictures) it was mentioned Kate didn’t want to tell the captain (per a podcast) so she didn’t get preferential treatment. I don’t know that alcohol wasn’t more of a factor in that over perceived reactions. Thank you for answering so nicely-I always like to hear how other people would handle situations! 

I know that Rhylee tried to talk to Kate, but Kate was not having it.  I'm pretty sure Rhylee even asked her if she wanted to speak to Lee, and I think Kate said no.  I'm assuming that alcohol did play into those decisions by Kate.

It also would not surprise me in the least that Kate did not want to speak to Captain Lee because every one (well, the guys, anyway) think that Kate gets preferential treatment, and if she did go to the Captain, that would also have played into more dislike of her on their part, so Kate was sort of in a lose-lose situation.  Leaving the ship was probably the best thing.  Quitting and storming out, saying "Find a new chief stew" was not such a good look, however.  That, I will chalk up to liquor.

Thank you for your kind words!  I, too, love reading other people's opinions and thoughts - it often makes me see things differently and I sometimes change my opinions because of it!  🙂 

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 17

Watching people get raging drunk, nasty and volatile is not my idea of good tv viewing. 

Even when not drunk the way that they treat and talk to and about each and their charter "guests" is purely unprofessional.

Yes, I understand that the show is character scripted from the crew to the guests but this has gone too far and has gotten truly nasty and beyond the pale.

Even the guests are bad at this point, most of them are return bad actors. 

Who in their right minds would want to be filmed for this floating turd?

My best guess is that Bravo pays for the off season yacht rental, "crew" salaries, and the "tip" just to keep this dead duck of a show going.

Bon Voyage Below Deck!

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

On Twitter (you guys I swear I get real news from legitimate sources & use twitter for bravo & dog pictures) it was mentioned Kate didn’t want to tell the captain (per a podcast) so she didn’t get preferential treatment

If anyone of these boysclub assholes was a real man with any type of moral compass, they would have gone to the captain regarding Ashton"s behavior. But none of them have much of a brain or any integrity.

Hearing that Ashwipe and Tanner said Kate deserved what she got is very troubling. I thought most rational people realize what a disgusting statement that was by now. And I assume they were sober when they said it on the aftershow.

• Love 24
28 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I can't wait to see them at the reunion, because I want to see them defend this behavior to Captain Lee, and watch him rip them apart.  This is not going to end well for Ashton.  I hope that he gets a one way ticket from Lee's Travel Agency, but I think since there are only two charters left, it won't be happening.

I think you’re right.

Telling Captain Lee what went down in the van is one thing, but viewing the show footage is damning. That was a lot of rage and actually very dangerous and psychotic. Ashton has nothing to say in his defense. The best he can do is own it without excuses, apologize, and get into therapy. I don’t think he will. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

It seemed like there was something edited out of the exchange about mothers in the cab.  First, the guys are making light of Tanner's mom, then Kate asks how Ashton's mom is, and he loses his shit.  But later on, in the crew mess, she implies she was trying to take up for Tanner & stop the guys from mocking his mother.  I wonder if that did happen (it didn't on screen).  But in any event, Ashton was a complete asshole and out of line.  Unless Kate called Ashon's mother a cock-juggling whore (TM Joao), he has no reason to go off the rails over a casual aside mentioning his mother.

From what I could make of it, Ashton was making fun of Tanner about his constant calls with his mom.  Kate was still shaking from Ashton's second sexual assault, and asked him what his mom would think of him.  Later on in the galley, he went off about how everyone on the deck crew makes fun of Tanner and his mom, and Kate said that while that isn't a great management style, it wasn't her point; she was asking whether Ashton's mom would consider him a gentleman.

• Love 12

This is my first season of seeing Ashton, so I have to ask you guys if there is some backstory that I don’t know about regarding his mom? In this episode, he mentioned having issues with both of his parents in the past, but also said that he is closer to them both now more than ever. 

Of course I’m team Kate in the van situation, but I’m just wondering if he’s that much of an incel, or if there’s something I don’t know about Ashton’s mom and that Kate hit a nerve with him that she knew about? Not that his reaction was acceptable either way (he’s terrifying). 

• Love 4

I hate the brus so much.

Did Rhylee not try to do the fucking knot? Wtf is Ashtons dbag deal. Of course he will be happy at whatever his bru Tanner does. 

I can’t handle their jerking each other off about their being upset. All the guys are misogynistic pricks I’m so over them.

Smashton isn’t funny or cute it’s gross. Be a normal fucking drunk loser.

Ashton tries to force a kiss again on Kate. Then gets all mad cause she won’t kiss him back. He gets all mad causs she says one mild comment about his mom but it’s not about that it’s about her denying him. Like he’s a psycho getting all punchy. Ashton is disgusting. Tanner is disgusting. I would feel uncomfortable if I was Kate too. Drunk misogynistic dbags.

• Love 18

Ashton needs to be fired and I wouldn’t be sorry to see Tanner go. It’s a bad show when Kevin is the least gross guy in the episode.

I can only conclude that the only boats Rhylee has ever been around are bathtub toys. Every boater I know from sailors to tugboat captains to people who occasionally fish on a lake in rowboats can tie a fucking bowline. It’s one of the easiest knots to learn and everyone on the deck crew should be able to tie it blindfolded and drunk.

Rhylee, shut up and tie the damn bowline.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, SimonSeymour said:

Of course I’m team Kate in the van situation, but I’m just wondering if he’s that much of an incel, or if there’s something I don’t know about Ashton’s mom and that Kate hit a nerve with him that she knew about? Not that his reaction was acceptable either way (he’s terrifying). 

From what I recall, the only comment he has made about his mom was earlier in the episode-I don’t think he ever brought up his family last year. I absolutely loved him last season. I thought he was so sweet with Patrick Swayze eyes & thought he actually treated Laura (the stew he had a fling with) with respect (especially compared to Tyler & Rhylee). I have no idea why he is so angry this season. 

Brian is on social media apologizing to Kate & explaining to the general public that he didn’t know how bad the situation in the van was & that he went to bed as soon as they got home. I’ll give him a pass because he does seem decent, until the next episode. 

• Love 14

Courtney stopped just short of stating that the scripted date was not welcome. She didn't want to go but production made her do it. Like the others, she's exhausted and burned out.

I still think Kate is laying traps for Ashton, and the dumb fuck is staggering right in to them. He's easily manipulated into rage. I think the alcohol lowered her inhibitions and she poked the bear with that comment about his mom (I agree we may not have seen all of the conversation), knowing he'd react like a lunatic. 

Kevin redeemed himself by being sober and smart enough to intervene. I agree that Kate was at risk for physical violence without that intervention. She didn't want to deal with the idiot bros any further, suspected production would let her get a hotel room, and went off and had a good night's sleep. Drama delivered. Hopefully Ashton will be gone for good.

I had hopes for this season, given that the stews were mostly getting along. I hate watching Mean Girl Kate, and we've had a break from that.  But the asshole bros have ruined it for me.

How desperate for money is Valor's owner to be associated with this show? It's trash.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jmcd44 said:

From what I recall, the only comment he has made about his mom was earlier in the episode-I don’t think he ever brought up his family last year. I absolutely loved him last season. I thought he was so sweet with Patrick Swayze eyes & thought he actually treated Laura (the stew he had a fling with) with respect (especially compared to Tyler & Rhylee). I have no idea why he is so angry this season. 

Brian is on social media apologizing to Kate & explaining to the general public that he didn’t know how bad the situation in the van was & that he went to bed as soon as they got home. I’ll give him a pass because he does seem decent, until the next episode. 

I guess they aren't allowed to comment on social media until after the episode airs.  Anyone know if Ashton and Tanner have Twitter accounts?  I'd love to see if they're getting ripped a new one.

And I'm down with Kate leaving the boat.  Let Ashton the pig and Tanner the ass explain to Capt. Lee why there is no chief stew onboard the next day.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

One of Ashton's problems -- and there are many -- is that he doesn't know how to be a boss, and maybe he doesn't want to be a boss. He wants to be one of the boys. When Brian came to Ashton and suggested firing Rhylee, a good manager would have shut that down immediately.

Edited by bencr
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, njbchlover said:

It also would not surprise me in the least that Kate did not want to speak to Captain Lee because every one (well, the guys, anyway) think that Kate gets preferential treatment, and if she did go to the Captain, that would also have played into more dislike of her on their part, so Kate was sort of in a lose-lose situation.  Leaving the ship was probably the best thing.  Quitting and storming out, saying "Find a new chief stew" was not such a good look, however.  That, I will chalk up to liquor.

I actually  I did think it was a good look. Deck crew, if everyone hates me,   fine I will leave and you can find someone else who will solve all your problems in an efficient manner and handle the guests with grace and good humor.  Bravo.

And we all know she will be back. They should not forget that Kate is the pinwheel on this show that is paying them well to travel and collect tips.

• Love 14
40 minutes ago, bencr said:

One of Ashton's problems -- and there are many -- is that he doesn't know how to be a boss, and maybe he doesn't want to be a boss.

Yes.  Regarding the knots -- why wouldn't he go over the preferred knots as part of orientation to the boat, like at the beginning?  I can see why maybe Rhylee might need to be coached in that particular knot since she just joined, but Tanner has gone all this time not knowing how to tie the preferred knot?   And Ashton's "coaching" consisted of demanding they tie the knot in front of him?  What about demonstrating?

To be a boss, you have to put aside any desire to be friends with your subordinates.  You might develop a working friendship with them, but that can't be part of your management style (let alone mocking one of your subordinate's moms).

And that's to say nothing about the rage-aholic, misogynistic environment on this boat.  If Survivor with Feely Dan and this season of BD are any indication, it's scary times for women.

• Love 19

Pretty much all of the drama associated with this show can be boiled down to one thing; alcohol, and the abuse of it.  I don't say that to excuse abusive behavior.

I've said before that the thing about reality television, at least most of it, is that abuses are allowed to happen and fester in the interest of "good television".  Going back to MTV and The Real World franchise, alcohol abuse is rampant, particularly in Bravo shows.  I'm truly surprised that Bravo, Andy Cohen, et al, haven't had their britches sued off of them, no matter what contracts these participants may sign.  

I am completely bored with the formulaic nature of Below Deck particularly; meet crew, meet asshold charter guests, bitch about charter guests, fuck up the food, crew goes out and abuses alcohol to the point of stupor, exploit and harrass women (sometimes men), repeat.  

This will be my last season (perhaps episode) of Below Deck.  I've whittled down to one RHO franchise (New York), but it too is growing mold.  

• Love 6

I will say this:  those charter guests were very gracious, and the kids were exceptional.

I am starting to think that Courtney is fond of Brian, but is maybe keeping him close as a shield against the other assholes who might try to hit on her.  He is, after all, the only pseudo-gentleman on the crew.

And does Tanner really think that breaking it off with Simone in order to "have fun" which seems to mean try to hook up with her boss, is a good idea?  is he really that dumb?  Plus, does he really think he's all that?  Like he can take his pick of women and Simone is the only thing standing in his way? 

Between Ashton and Tanner, it seems that BD has staffed the crew with god's gifts to women.  <<snark>>

• Love 13

Also, how mean is it to make Tanner's mom the butt of the deck crew jokes knowing that it will be aired? That's so hurtful & disrespectful, the poor woman can't change her voice. I wonder how she felt watching that?

On the other hand, someone merely asks about Ashton's mom and it's an attack on his family?  Great "leadership", Ashton.

Edited to add:  Apparently, Ashton issued an apology...via an instagram story which will expire in less than 24 hours, which IMHO accurately represents his sincerity. 

I for one hope that this event follows him and causes long-term career repercussions. 

Edited by snarts
Info on Ashton's apology
  • Love 20

I learned to tie a bowline in Brownies in the second grade...the rabbit runs around the tree and down the hole.  It’s not difficult.  Square knot: right over left and left over right, makes a knot healthy and tight.  Maybe I should apply to be bosun...

• LOL 14
  • Love 8

I think part of Ashton’s problem (besides the booze issues) is that he’s not getting enough (any?) sex. Kate not kissing him was the last straw, so he directed his anger towards her. He needs help or he will always be an abusive partner when his needs aren’t being met. He could care less about a woman’s needs. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, MartyQui said:

I learned to tie a bowline in Brownies in the second grade...the rabbit runs around the tree and down the hole.  It’s not difficult.  Square knot: right over left and left over right, makes a knot healthy and tight.  Maybe I should apply to be bosun...

makes a knot neat and tidy and tight!  😉  

25 minutes ago, DeeplyShallow said:

If he was truly sorry and aware of how horrendous his behavior was, it wouldn’t be a 24 hr story that goes away. Additionally, he spends 95% of the time talking about himself to make him seem contrite and sympathetic. Bullshit. A real apology to Kate would have been “Kate, the way I treated you was horrible and unacceptable. I should never have put you in such an uncomfortable and danger situation & I take full responsibility for my actions, as nothing that you did warranted any of this. I will continue to work on myself and work to better understand how my actions and inactions affect those around me.”

I hate that Douchebro. Sorry. Douchebrü.

Asshole. 

Unless he’s deleting negative comments on IG, I have not seen anyone addressing his behavior on the show. It’s sad that people continue to feed his enormous ego. 

• Love 4