Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E10: Eddie Murphy/Lizzo

• Start Topic

I caught some of this episode and generally liked it. Though I will say that the cake thing I didn't like the first time and still not really a fan of it. And I think they could have done so much more with doing a parody of the mask singer. Like make fun of how ridiculous the judges are or have any costume they wanted.

I did like the be my neighbor sketch and the family dinner as that is a family gathering everyone can relate too.  I also liked the cold opening. I saw that actual debate and enjoyed the actual references like when Bernie got asked about diversity and he started talking about global warming (While I like Bernie a lot, it was funny to see Larry David's take on that) and how the guy who played Andrew Yang was just really serious.  Anyhow, a pretty good show from what I saw.

I just watched an old Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood with Eddie's from last night and its remarkable how 30 years he hasn't changed. His face and body has visibly aged but his persona hasn't. The mannerisms are exactly the same as are the way he giggles with joy saying those lines.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

This is the second year in a row that the year-end/Christmas episode hasn't concluded on the skating rink at Rockefeller Center. Any idea why? I always loved that.

I have no opinion on the episode. . . because I fell asleep and missed everything!

Edited by Camille

I can't remember the last time I watched SNL, but seeing that Eddie Murphy was going to host, well, I had to tune in!  My favorite sketches were the Masked Singer and Home for the Holidays (which hit a little close to home in some aspects!)

I was hoping for a James Brown hot tub sketch, but I was happy with the characters they did bring back.  As others have said, they needed to keep it fresh with new sketches.  I thought it was one of SNL's better nights.  Bravo to Eddie Murphy!  

Okay, back to my corner of the world.  I'm sure it'll be a long time before I tune back in to SNL.  There's only a handful of guest hosts that can get me to tune into this show anymore. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Wow, Larry David. Am I the only that noticed that he didn't even acknowledged Lizzo's presence when she is either trying to hug or speak to other cast members during the goodbyes?

Larry and Jerry are very notoriously not huggers.

I hate forced hugging too.  I missed the Larry Lizzo moment, and now I'm sad.  Then again, I kept the episode on my DVR like many people here.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wonder if that first outfit Lizzo wore was custom made for her? Those looked like Gucci colors. Whatever, she is a gorgeous woman.

Oh that's the connection! At first I was like, "Wait, was Dave Chappelle ever on SNL?" Charlie Murphy completely skipped my mind.

Great show to finish out the year and the 2010s.

Yes definitely Gucci.

Chappelle has definitely hosted.  But Eddie wasn't around.  Eddie said he came to the 40th anniversary though.

Gumby! Buckwheat! Mr Robinson dealing with gentrification! 

He came back to the greatest hits but the last sketch had me rolling.  And his crack towards Bill Cosby could not have been more perfect. 

As said, definitely the loosest Update in a while. Colin was about to hit the floor when Gumby said he was planning to stay. 

Welcome Home Mr Murphy. Come back for Coming To America 2 and bring Leslie Jones with you!

• Love 12

This episode did not disappoint us. We howled from the monologue to the end. Colin is adorable and I enjoyed his reaction to the "wine" splashing him and clothing. Pete has a place in my heart - maybe it's the mom in me - and I always wish him well.

Eddie Freaking Murphy was phenomenal.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, LakeLover said:

This episode did not disappoint us. We howled from the monologue to the end. Colin is adorable and I enjoyed his reaction to the "wine" splashing him and clothing. Pete has a place in my heart - maybe it's the mom in me - and I always wish him well.

Eddie Freaking Murphy was phenomenal.

I really worry about Pete. I hope the joke about going to rehab wasn’t a joke. 

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I liked the Aidy/Lizzo cut sketch, but the other one was terrible in every possible way and I'm very glad it got cut.

I agree, and I feel like Kenan has done umpteen versions of that same sketch anyway. I didn't like shoehorning Eddie into that one.  I wish they had Kenan mention it in the monologue with Eddie responding no, they tried and it was awful.

Not surprisingly, last night had the highest ratings in two and a half years. They will rerun this episode to death, and then we will see the various clips in Christmas Specials and the like for years to come.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

For you youngsters, that is Brad Hall giving the Weekend Update story on the apparent demise of Buckwheat.  He's the husband of Julia Dreyfus-Hall.  I'm not sure where they met, but they were both on SNL for a season or two in the mid-80s.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

As for the not hugging thing, I thought Larry David's OCD about hugging was well known? 

As for Pete Davidsen, I'm actually glad he made the appearance. Even if it was a bit awkward. But I thought Colin reading the tweets was nice. I hope he is doing okay. He looked real fragile.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 1

I'm almost suprised (but pleased) that they did so many classic characters with Eddie Murphy, after they've declined to do so recently with other multiple-time hosts.  Murphy coming back is a big deal though. 

The jab at Cosby was interesting, but that whole Bill Cosby situation just makes me sad.

Liked Seeing Maya Rudolph back.  At least Rachel Dratch got a cheer this time, helps to put her on as the first guest. 

I love the Buckwheat stuff, but I've always been a little surprised that they do it, because it seems like the kind of thing that some people would find offensive.   I even used to think that when they did it originally.  And when they rebooted the Little Rascals film.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Thalia said:

For you youngsters, that is Brad Hall giving the Weekend Update story on the apparent demise of Buckwheat.  He's the husband of Julia Dreyfus-Hall.  I'm not sure where they met, but they were both on SNL for a season or two in the mid-80s.  

You mean Julia Louis-Dreyfus, right?  I've never seen/heard her use the name Hall professionally.

I'm not sure that having 10 children with 5 different women is exactly Father of the Year material, but it's nice that they were all in the audience last night.  I thought the show struck a pretty good balance between Murphy's classic characters and newer material.  Buckwheat was my personal favorite of the evening.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Mommaj said:

In my masochistic way, I don't think I've ever missed an SNL since it started

Funny you say that, I've seen every episode too.  Kind of sad in a way lol.

I have to admit I only knew that second Lizzo song because it was in a commercial.  I hear a lot of music through commercials these days.  I liked the dancers in the second song also - not fat exactly, but thick.  Normal looking bodies on TV, lol.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I didn't realize Pete was struggling again. I hope he can get the help he needs. 

8 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

I really worry about Pete. I hope the joke about going to rehab wasn’t a joke. 

Are we sure he's going to rehab? He has borderline personality disorder, so he may be spending time in an institution getting his meds adjusted. It's somewhat common for those who can afford it, and is similar to rehab in some ways. Everyone I know with BPD has done at least a week of inpatient observation. 

Either way, I hope he returns happy and healthy after this month long break. He deserves some peace of mind.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Thalia said:

They were both at Northwestern, I believe, and had a little improv group in Chicago before they were asked to join snl at the same time.  

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Camille said:

This is the second year in a row that the year-end/Christmas episode hasn't concluded on the skating rink at Rockefeller Center. Any idea why? I always loved that.

I have no opinion on the episode. . . because I fell asleep and missed everything!

I think they only do the skating a few times a decade. I wish they had this year, to close out the '10s...maybe with so many cameos they were afraid the ice would crack. 

39 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

They were both at Northwestern, I believe, and had a little improv group in Chicago before they were asked to join snl at the same time.  

They were in the Practical Theater Company, along with Paul Barrosse and Gary Kroeger. Gary, Julia and Brad were put in the cast while Paul was a writer. I put Gary's recent blog entry about Eddie in the classic forum. Here is a video about the troupe from not long before they joined SNL.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, blueray said:

I caught some of this episode and generally liked it. Though I will say that the cake thing I didn't like the first time and still not really a fan of it. And I think they could have done so much more with doing a parody of the mask singer. Like make fun of how ridiculous the judges are or have any costume they wanted.

I did like the be my neighbor sketch and the family dinner as that is a family gathering everyone can relate too.  I also liked the cold opening. I saw that actual debate and enjoyed the actual references like when Bernie got asked about diversity and he started talking about global warming (While I like Bernie a lot, it was funny to see Larry David's take on that) and how the guy who played Andrew Yang was just really serious.  Anyhow, a pretty good show from what I saw.

It seems like SNL doesn't do aggressive parodies these days, outside of reality TV, but your idea would have been fun. I think when PWB hosted they had a sketch cut from dress rehearsal where the masked singer turned out to be R Kelly. This one seemed to be done more of a tribute to Eddie and to Buckwheat. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed Eddie Murphy so much. It was fun to go back to his old characters--it's been so long that they're not tired. Mister Robinson—that really brought me back. And Gumby—I never really appreciated it then, but as an adult now I just marvel at Murphy's versatility.

Which leads me to Kenan. I loved seeing him on that stage with Tracy and Chris. He looked a little sheepish, and his humility does him credit. It was interesting because Tracy and Chris (and Chapelle) are edgy, like Eddie (more so than Kenan). But I realized that Kenan and Eddie share a real versatility—they can both get on stage and do pretty much anything.

Re: Pete: Last week (I think), he made a joke about getting high, which surprised me because I thought he had gotten sober. Reading up on it now apparently he started smoking and drinking again after getting diagnosed as bipolar. This week, his Update appearance wasn't really funny to me, just concerning.

To see someone struggle with addiction and/or mental illness in such a public way is challenging. In some ways I think that he needs to get the hell out of the spotlight. But I also worry about what Pete's life would be like without this job and success. (I mean, I don't *worry,* but as a viewer it does make me think.)

Pete's comedy doesn't do much for me but as a human I root for him to be well.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, ahisma said:

Wow. BC is letting all the ugly out in public now. His sanctimonious tone while spewing so much poison shows how truly deluded he really is.

Also Eddie Murphy's joke was pretty gentle. 

But Bill Cosby is just wrong. Eddie Murphy got his fame when he was 19 on SNL in the early 80s. Bill Cosby's show didn't start running until 1984. I'm pretty sure Eddie would have been a star with or without Bill Cosby.

Anyway back to topic: I had forgotten how infectious Eddie Murphy's giggle is. At 2:46 here it just makes me happy.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

think they only do the skating a few times a decade. I wish they had this year, to close out the '

I was under the impression that it was standard procedure for the Christmas episode, according to this "behind the scenes" bit:

8 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

Re: Pete: Last week (I think), he made a joke about getting high, which surprised me because I thought he had gotten sober. Reading up on it now apparently he started smoking and drinking again after getting diagnosed as bipolar. This week, his Update appearance wasn't really funny to me, just concerning.

He has borderline personality disorder (like Rebecca Bunch on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), not bipolar. I was under the impression in the past when he's mentioned being sober/not using "drugs" anymore...he was excluding marijuana from those statements because he basically considers it medication. 

He looked healthier to me on this episode than he has recently. His demeanor still makes me worry about him, but he looked physically less...fragile I guess might be the word I'm looking for?

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

He looked healthier to me on this episode than he has recently. 

Yes, the first thing I noticed was that the dark circles under his eyes were much less noticeable than they have been in the recent past. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

But Bill Cosby is just wrong. Eddie Murphy got his fame when he was 19 on SNL in the early 80s. Bill Cosby's show didn't start running until 1984. I'm pretty sure Eddie would have been a star with or without Bill Cosby.

This is not in any way a defense of Bill Cosby since he's the scum of the earth, but he was the first African-American to be the lead in a network TV show...in 1965 in "I Spy".  So way before "The Cosby Show" in the '80s he was really famous. 

That said, your point about Eddie Murphy becoming a star with or without Cosby is spot on. 

• Love 13
59 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Why was Alec Baldwin/Trump wearing earrings?

He took them off.  I think he was doing the 80s-type move of removing big and dangly earrings before getting into a fight.  But it never quite reached that level of hysteria. 

59 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Also Eddie Murphy's joke was pretty gentle. 

But Bill Cosby is just wrong. Eddie Murphy got his fame when he was 19 on SNL in the early 80s. Bill Cosby's show didn't start running until 1984. I'm pretty sure Eddie would have been a star with or without Bill Cosby

As @ebk57 rightly pointed out, Cosby was pretty huge even before The Cosby Show for a long time but I don't think he can take claim for Eddie's success.  Eddie's path was his own and even if there were no Cosby blazing trails, Richard Pryor was out there doing work for the benefit of those who came after him.

But as much of a loon and garbage person Cosby is, to be fair, it was his publicist who put out this statement and I doubt it came from Cosby's cell.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm almost suprised (but pleased) that they did so many classic characters with Eddie Murphy, after they've declined to do so recently with other multiple-time hosts.  Murphy coming back is a big deal though. 

The jab at Cosby was interesting, but that whole Bill Cosby situation just makes me sad.

Liked Seeing Maya Rudolph back.  At least Rachel Dratch got a cheer this time, helps to put her on as the first guest. 

I love the Buckwheat stuff, but I've always been a little surprised that they do it, because it seems like the kind of thing that some people would find offensive.   I even used to think that when they did it originally.  And when they rebooted the Little Rascals film.

I think there are a lot of comedians, perhaps more so in the black community but for anyone practicing the art, that will look at the riff with some sense of relief that Murphy just made it OK to go after Cosby. With both barrels if need be. Cosby's power and influence, which was considerable and yet already severely damaged was just rendered into a million glittery bits of cosmic dust. *poof*

That was an important moment and one when the clip is shown 20 years from now will be recognized as such at least in terms of comedic integrity. Hopefully the clip will be run as part of a double-feature along with Hannibal Buress.  

Edited by kib
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Are we sure he's going to rehab? He has borderline personality disorder, so he may be spending time in an institution getting his meds adjusted. It's somewhat common for those who can afford it, and is similar to rehab in some ways. Everyone I know with BPD has done at least a week of inpatient observation. 

Either way, I hope he returns happy and healthy after this month long break. He deserves some peace of mind.

Whenever he’s going, if he’s going anywhere at all, I wish him the best.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, kib said:

I think there are a lot of comedians, perhaps more so in the black community but for anyone practicing the art, that will look at the riff with some sense of relief that Murphy just made it OK to go after Cosby. With both barrels if need be. Cosby's power and influence, which was considerable and yet already severely damaged was just rendered into a million glittery bits of cosmic dust. *poof*

That was an important moment and one when the clip is shown 20 years from now will be recognized as such at least in terms of comedic integrity. Hopefully the clip will be run as part of a double-feature along with Hannibal Buress.  

I’m part of the black community and that’s exactly how I look at it. Personally I’m glad he made a Cosby joke.

• Love 12
On 12/22/2019 at 1:34 AM, Fostersmom said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling this show. I get they wanted to use Eddie's old characters, but let's be honest, sketches that are literally pushing 40 years old just feels lazy. The Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood at least got an updated twist, but the others were just kind of stale and a bit cringey IMO. 

I could have done without seeing Lizzo's ass in the second song, although I will say this was the first time in a long time I actually watched both the musical numbers. 

I didn't realize Pete was struggling again. I hope he can get the help he needs. 

Lizzo’s ass.  Yes, I agree.  

Edited by msrachelj
Edit
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ahisma said:

He was “speaking on behalf of Mr. Cosby.” Either he committed gross malpractice in making up the statement completely and releasing it to the public, or he committed gross malpractice in representing Mr. Cosby’s thoughts accurately in the statement and releasing it to the public. I lean towards the latter, as they remind me of Rudy Giuliani and his most famous client...

The words, syntax, etc sound very much like Bill Cosby. The massive entitlement as well. SO this might be a case of "the lawyer knows the client so well he can sound exactly like the client" or Bill Cosby could have watch TV on Saturday and called up his lawyer.

• Love 4

Oh, cry me a river, Bill Cosby. I don't give two sh*ts about your feelings. 

Regarding the show (please don't stone me!), I thought Eddie was enthusiastic and fun, but I am a little too young to have seen his original run (I'm 37, so I'm not a baby), and kind of wish it hadn't been such a rehash of old characters. I especially didn't get Gumby. Yes, I have seen the actual Gumby Claymation show. 

Lizzo seemed THRILLED to be there and holy moly, what a talent. I adore her and her message. 

Edited by librarianbeck
  • Love 6

I haven't watched this show in YEARS. But when Eddie was on Colbert's show recently and said he was going to be hosting again? I was SO EXCITED.

And Eddie DID.NOT.DISSAPOINT! The cherry on the sundae of this episode would have been to see Joe Piscopo show up. But it was SUBLIME without him.

"Girl, THEY DEAD!" had me 🤣🤣 along with "It doesn't matter who I am!" or was it What my name is! But Buckwheat TOPS the list. Mr. Robinson, a veryclose second! And Gumby!!!!!

• Love 9
On 12/22/2019 at 6:35 AM, Robert Lynch said:

Wow, Larry David. Am I the only that noticed that he didn't even acknowledged Lizzo's presence when she is either trying to hug or speak to other cast members during the goodbyes?

I saw that and just thought 1) they don't really know each other and 2) Larry was on a mad dash to Maya where he complimented the shit out of her.  He was "director Larry" at that point, so I'm not going to be mad at him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/22/2019 at 12:08 AM, opus said:

FD17BADF-3979-410E-9A42-E25EFD3B2EF4.jpeg

I think that was all part of Michael Che's joke right? 

fun fact about the cue cards that I learned on Howard Stern...he was interviewing Seth Meyer, Seth uses cue cards (so does Fallon) because that's how they were brought up.  The owner of the cue card company (Eddie) I believe, still works on SNL.  All of his employees has to learn how to write like him so not to "confuse" (my word) the talent.  I thought that was pretty cool.  🙂

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Why was Alec Baldwin/Trump wearing earrings?

It's a reference to that little girl who went viral for saying "cash me outside how bout dat (catch me outside how about that)" on Dr. Phil's show.

image.png.bb8e51a976a86f057ec62019cd4b8395.png

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Oh! and The "Home for the Holidays" skit also had me laughing non-stop. With Eddie and Maya, etc., saying all these lovey-dovey things, and when they flashed back, you had Eddie and Maya yelling and fighting that was oh so hilarious. Especially the ones with Eddie and Maya fighting about why the dinner had to be at their house/being all racist toward their daughter's boyfriend, with the "no offense" because he was sitting right there! To Eddie telling his son to go away and then yelling for him to come back because he couldn't figure out the gadgetwhatzit.🤣🤣🤣

Eddie Murphy is just a GEM.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

It's a reference to that little girl who went viral for saying "cash me outside how bout dat (catch me outside how about that)" on Dr. Phil's show.

image.png.bb8e51a976a86f057ec62019cd4b8395.png

how is that a reference to her?  did "trump" say "catch me outside"?  I think it was in reference to women pulling off their earring before they get in fist fight.  

• Love 1
On 12/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

how is that a reference to her?  did "trump" say "catch me outside"?  I think it was in reference to women pulling off their earring before they get in fist fight.  

He said, "Impeach me outside, OK. Impeach me outside!" Alec Baldwin also wore similar bamboo earrings as Bregoli, which is why I linked the photo of her on the show. Of course, it's also a reference to girls preparing to fight by taking their earrings off.

'Impeach me outside' is a play on words from the phrase made famous by the 'cash me ousside girl' Danielle Bregoli, aka Bhad Bhabie, who became a social media sensation after making the comment during an appearance on Dr Phil in 2016.

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

He said, "Impeach me outside, OK. Impeach me outside!" Alec Baldwin also wore similar bamboo earrings to Bregoli, which is why I linked the photo of her on the show. Of course, it's also a reference to girls preparing to fight by taking their earrings off.

'Impeach me outside' is a play on words from the phrase made famous by the 'cash me ousside girl' Danielle Bregoli, aka Bhad Bhabie, who became a social media sensation after making the comment during an appearance on Dr Phil in 2016.

I didn't hear it....you are 100% correct.  Sorry to have doubted you.....

• Love 2