Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E10: Eddie Murphy/Lizzo

• Start Topic

I'm hoping they do a take on Eddie's role in Dreamgirls with Lizzo in the Effie role. She's about to break out in a rousing rendition of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" but stops and switches to one of Lizzo's own "forget you, who needs you, I'm too hot for this" anthems.

• Love 7

I am really excited for this episode. I torn between seeing Mr. Robinson, buckwheat or James Brown hot up. 

I'm excited for a new character or sketch from Eddie and I hope they let him give a lot of input. 

I wonder if Joe Piscopo will show up.

Edited by Thinbalina
  • Love 4

Is Vegas giving odds on who will do cameos?

Piscopo has to be the odds on favorite and, let's face it, I am sure he is available! Maybe a Dan Aykroyd spoof of Trading Places, which is a Christmas movie, after all.Teh Hanks/Mr. Rogers/Mr. Robinson would be inspired!

• Love 1

I was so excited for Eddie, one of the best, maybe THE best SNL member.. he and Phil Hartmann tie.  I was hoping for throwback skits and for once I’m not disappointed.

I will say I still think the writing is not very good, so the shots don’t quite hit.  But Eddie is still so good.

• Love 14

Wow.

I was typing out how we're witnessing a great moment in SNL history, and as I was typing it, Cecily Strong was fake barfing red wine everywhere.  Christ.

Anyways.  Aside from her and Pete, this has been a fantastic episode.  Really funny.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

The only thing I didn't get was the gray wig. But the rest was perfect!

That threw me off as well because either way, Eddie is the same age as the character he's playing. There was no reason to age him further.

• Love 2

I tuned back in after sporadic viewing just to see Eddie, hoping to see throwbacks, and it did not disappoint. From Mr. Robinson, to Gumby, to Buckwheat, it was like being reunited with old friends. Never mind the last time I remembered them, I was in ELEMENTARY school. (Yes, I'm old!)

Was the writing the best? Debatable. But Eddie gave 120% and that was more than good enough for me.

With that said, I got my Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood skit!  😄 Just wish the gray wig took a hike, as I said. The rest was as great as I remembered!

• Love 11

Well 90 minutes actually goes FAST when you're having fun!

I thought it was fantastic and actually lived up to the hype. It will live on my DVR forever.

It absolutely killed me that Gumby has no use for Che.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 21

All in all, a pretty damn good show.  I thought it got a little weaker as it went on.  While I love Cecily's Judge Pirro and Colin was great, people puking kinda grosses me out.  Otherwise, I was laughing all through Update.  I'm so glad Gumby was there! And Lizzo was great.  A fun show. 

No ice skating again this year... still, Happy Holidays everyone!

• Love 6

Hey Pete was even in the building with Larry David present! Must be the power of Eddie Murphy. Alec even stayed through the goodbyes, so you know it was a big deal.

Speaking of Pete, he really is going to rehab again? He works my nerves but I still worry about him.

I thought the Cold Open was mostly fun, big ol pile everything and everyone in mess that it was. I still had no idea who Pelosi was until Alec(Trump) said her name. That impression is seriously off. I assume Woody Harrelson couldn't make it this week because he did another live episode of All in the Family. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 11

In my masochistic way, I don't think I've ever missed an SNL since it started, and I can say without hesitation that this was the best show in YEARS. I'd give my eye teeth to be at the post show shindig tonight.

• Love 20

Yeah, I'm not feeling this show. I get they wanted to use Eddie's old characters, but let's be honest, sketches that are literally pushing 40 years old just feels lazy. The Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood at least got an updated twist, but the others were just kind of stale and a bit cringey IMO. 

I could have done without seeing Lizzo's ass in the second song, although I will say this was the first time in a long time I actually watched both the musical numbers. 

I didn't realize Pete was struggling again. I hope he can get the help he needs. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Hey Pete was even in the building with Larry David present! Must be the power of Eddie Murphy. Alec even stayed through the goodbyes, so you know it was a big deal.

They're not missing that after party. Also explains why Usher was at the goodnights.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Oh yeah, even if it was petty, I laughed at the Bill Cosby dig in the monologue. I never knew how much of that feud was real, but Eddie totally won. 

He talks about it in Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.  An absolutely fantastic, riveting episode.  Eddie is just so….. at peace and calm and cool. 

52 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

We return January 25th with Adam Driver. I hope Matt The Radar Technician comes back.

Wow.  I read that placard as Adam Sandler like the first 3 times I looked at it.  My brain reads things however it wants to.

Ego:  Why can't I marry him?  Is it because he's white?

Eddie (at absolute full volume, eyes open wide):   YEEEEEEESSSS

I knew the joke was coming but hahaha omg amazing.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16
48 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

And then Cecily as Judge Pirro had to follow all that, but I thought she didn't disappoint. I don't think I've seen Colin breaking so hard in ages. Did she say "Merry fucking Christmas" at the end?!

I heard her say "I'm Gumby, damn it," but I know I missed some stuff. 

That bear-killing-the-elves sketch was so strange; loved Eddie as the witness. "GIRL THEY DEAD." 

This mostly lived up to my expectations. I don't like Colin and Che's year-end jokes, though. I did laugh at Pete Davidson saying he had $30k on him and how could Colin not; "What if Scarlett wants to go to lunch?"

• Love 13

My verdict: loved it! Eddie Murphy was brilliant. It wasn't "perfect," but what some of the sketches lacked in substance they more than made up for with style. As if seeing the virtual Murderers' Row of Black standup comedy in the opening monologue wasn't awesome enough, Murphy's dragging Bill Cosby was priceless. Who's "America's Dad" now, Billy?

Seeing Mister Robinson, Buckwheat, Velvet Jones & Gumby brought back great memories.  Reboots of "Celebrity Hot Tub" & "White Like Me" would have been even better, but it was still fun to watch. Even "WU" was funny,mostly because of Gumby & the racist joke swap.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 17

Cold open: I knew they'd have to do something with the debate, and with Trump being impeached, even though I didn't especially want to see either of these at the moment (in the case of Trumpwin, pretty much never). 10 minutes way at least 5 minutes too long, but at least they combined the two ideas together. There were some decent lines and performances - Maya as Kamala is always a delight, I was happy to see Jason Sudeikis again (even if he doesn't quite fit Biden anymore, he still has such a vitality when he's on the stage), and the bit where Trump confronted the debate participants was probably the best material Trumpwin's had in a few years. This just wasn't for me though, and it felt very greatest-hits-ish. 

Monologue: This was where I could first tell Eddie was going to have a bit of a rough time getting back into the live performance aspect (it's been 35 years after all) - I liked his intro (and there's some irony in him being on that stage joking about Bill Cosby when he wouldn't do the same for the 40th), but having Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, and Tracy Morgan (second cameo of the season - he's had more airtime this season than he did in some of his years as a cast member!) as an assist made sense. The Joe Piscopo jab was a bit unnecessary but wasn't too mean. I'm glad Kenan also got his place up there - he's certainly earned it. 

Mr. Robinson: The ideas everyone had about Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers would have been fun to see materialize. I liked the gentrification aspects of the sketch, as so much of Mr. Robinson was always about social commentary. The part where his son wanted to meet him didn't quite work for me.

Baking: They did this last year with Don Cheadle, but this one worked a little better for me, Cheadle's cake, which was meant to be terrifying, looked OK, so the joke was lost. Eddie's cake was genuinely disturbing. There was also a good joke from Kyle and his Cinderella penis castle - her going there when she's worn out from the balls. 

Holiday Wishes: I don't mind that this repeated the idea of last year (the Matt Damon Christmas pre-tape), as the concept is pretty broad and they didn't repeat any of the scenes they had last year. This one had some unique beats, like their anger over Ego marrying a white man (Mikey Day, ever-charmingly nebbishy in his husband roles). When they were yelling right in front of him, I laughed. I was surprised to see Maya again, until I remembered Ego is the only black woman in the cast. Leslie Jones (whom I'm surprised didn't cameo) would have had that type of role. This is the second time this season Maya has returned and been slotted into extra roles. I haven't seen a female alum used this way since Jan Hooks. Jan Hooks is, for me, the very best, so it's a credit to Maya that she now has the same type of position. 

Masked Singer: Probably the most unabashedly sentimental piece of the night, rather than anything comedic. Buckwheat started out as being very sweet and silly, then over time became bitter. It's somehow fitting that his last appearance (presumably) was mostly an endearing sendoff. 

Update: At first my thoughts were of the jokes being on the weak side, then Gumby showed up. This was pure adrenaline, the sloppy mess that the night needed. Absolute fun. I loved that they seemed to have no idea what he was going to say and that Eddie couldn't keep a straight face. Pete's commentary was probably the best he's had in a few years, even if I'm wary of how much of his personal life continues to bleed over into the show and into our lives. It's somehow fitting that he has one of the last commentaries of the decade, given how much his story has dominated the last 6 seasons. The Che and Jost joke swap was fun, even if it was a bit tamer than past seasons. I didn't really want to see Pirro again, because it was already perfect, but fortunately this was still hilarious, especially when she began spitting wine all over Colin. I've never seen Colin so relaxed as he was in this Update - I think if he was able to be so goofy more often, then he might not be as polarizing as he is. Anyway, this Update had the crazy energy SNL always needs more of, along with the experimentation and unpredictability. A great way to close out the decade, and a reminder that, even though I think it's probably time for a change soon, Update is still in pretty decent health. 

Black Jeopardy: I have to admit, much to my shame, that Velvet Jones was probably my favorite Eddie character. I just didn't expect them to bring him back for 2019. Surprisingly, I thought they managed to thread that particular needle by confronting him and then getting into bits like his pushing "empowered" voices like "Instagram ho." There were some good lines as the sketch went along, but there were a lot of timing errors and line flubs. I hope SNL will put the dress version of this on Youtube as I think this one would have been a little better with less fumbling. 

(the lengthy gap in the episode around this point makes me hope we'll have some Cut For Time pieces)

Elves: I had mixed feelings about the premise, because underneath the usual "Mikey Day tells us about wacky happenings" sketch I felt like this was a somewhat questionable parody of shootings and other real-life tragedies, but fortunately Eddie put on the same fire he had when he was in the cast and powered right through everything he was given to do. 

Final Thoughts: It's not the same of course, but in the goodnights I couldn't help thinking of last season when Adam Sandler hosted. The stage nearly buckled from the sheer history, with the cast in tears at a legend returning, and Chris Farley being honored. This time around, another legend returned, and we were allowed a moment of sheer joy. 35 years had passed, and somehow, for any stumbles or anxieties on the night, Eddie Murphy had come back and had found the live performer in him again. You could see the exhilaration on his face at finding that man again, and that he'd made it through the night. And it felt like we were there with him, in his triumph. It was one of those moments where the show's 40 years were a blessing rather than a burden, and it made me glad that I watched. 

The show has its share of problems, but when that spark is there, suddenly everything matters so much less. Eddie brought the spark, and Scarlett's episode also had a real life and warmth to it. As a result these two episodes, and David Harbour's, have been my favorites of the season. If SNL can keep the heart its regained the last few weeks, then it will go a long way toward putting the show in a good place as it begins a new decade.  

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Holiday Baking Championships: It's the same sketch from the Don Cheadle episode, but I don't care. Ugly cakes are always funny. Eddie Murphy baking an ugly Sonic The Hedgehog cake is the BEST. I never knew I needed this. The cake having human teeth was definitely a slam at the original movie design. And then came the pink penis castle cake.

The funniest part of that sketch was when Eddie accidentally said “shit” then put his hand over his mouth in an OOPS! motion. I don’t think I would’ve noticed till he did that. 

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Was the writing the best? Debatable. But Eddie gave 120% and that was more than good enough for me.

Yes , Eddie always goes all in with his work. That’s probably why he has 10 kids. ba-dum-ching!

But I loved the show, mostly because of his nostalgic characters. Buckwheat always makes me laugh out loud, and I’d forgotten how funny though offensive Velvet Jones is.

26 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

Seeing Mister Robinson, Buckwheat, Velvet Jones & Gumby brought back great memories.  Reboots of "Celebrity Hot Tub" & "White Like Me" would have been even better, but it was still fun to watch. Even "WU" was funny,mostly because of Gumby & the racist joke swap.

What I would’ve loved to see was a reunion of Eddie and Joe Piscopo doing a Stevie Wonder/Sinatra duet. And how terrible am I that I had to google Joe Piscopo to make sure he wasn’t dead?

• Love 12

My favorite moment in the episode was during the Holiday Baking Championship skit when Eddie says "We can still win this shit" to his ugly cake which actually did look like shit.  You see him pause and then cover his mouth and Alex is smiling as he throws the fake show to break.

There were other very funny moments but I am a sucker for those slip ups. 

Speaking of the Holiday Baking Championship skit, it's clear that Aidy was trying to do Nancy Fuller.  And Echo was doing Lorraine Pascal.  That would mean Beck was supposed to be Duff and yet they didn't put him in a bald cap so he didn't come off as any real judge. 

I liked Lizzo's performances because I actually knew both songs.  That's rare these days on this show for me.

I probably have terrible taste but I kind of love when Colin and Che write their awful jokes for one another.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 12

Seeing Dave Chappelle and Eddie Murphy together makes me miss Charlie Murphy so much. I know Eddie loved him dearly. 

Anyway it was a fantastic show! Eddie is legendary. 

ETA: I love how they all lost it during the live update with Gumby. “Trailer boy” 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

Final Thoughts: It's not the same of course, but in the goodnights I couldn't help thinking of last season when Adam Sandler hosted. The stage nearly buckled from the sheer history, with the cast in tears at a legend returning, and Chris Farley being honored. This time around, another legend returned, and we were allowed a moment of sheer joy. 35 years had passed, and somehow, for any stumbles or anxieties on the night, Eddie Murphy had come back and had found the live performer in him again. You could see the exhilaration on his face at finding that man again, and that he'd made it through the night. And it felt like we were there with him, in his triumph. It was one of those moments where the show's 40 years were a blessing rather than a burden, and it made me glad that I watched. 

The show has its share of problems, but when that spark is there, suddenly everything matters so much less. Eddie brought the spark, and Scarlett's episode also had a real life and warmth to it. As a result these two episodes, and David Harbour's, have been my favorites of the season. If SNL can keep the heart its regained the last few weeks, then it will go a long way toward putting the show in a good place as it begins a new decade.  

This x 1000. It's been a while since I was laughing so hard and so consistently throughout an episode. Even the cold open seemed to benefit from having all these legends in the house. I loved Maya/Kamala crashing the debate. I didn't recognize "Tulsi" at first -- Cecily's just so good as Melania, and then later on, as Judge Jeanine.

I also totally agree about Colin being so much looser, and as a result, WU being that much livelier. I like the jabs that Che takes at him, and then in this WU with Gumby giving it to Che. (Poor Pokey, though!)

I was howling at Mr. Robinson's neighborhood. A big shoutout to the director/camera people for that segment. Mr. Robinson's turning his face beatifically to the camera always cracks me up, especially when followed by his bellowing at the door.

@OpalNightstream, your post had me doubled over. I think the rest of this week will have me singing that and the other songs.

Lizzo was the perfect guest for this episode. I loved that she had dancers with a wide range of body types, and she just filled the stage with joy.

Haha I even laughed at the closed captioning, which quickly changed Eddie's line to "We can win this thing!" If I can find those busted teeth party favors, I may be making some Sonic the Hedgehog cupcakes.....

Edited by Kaiju Ballet
I'm Gumby, dammit!
  • Love 13

Best episode of the season! Eddie had me from the minute he dragged Bill Cosby with "who's America's dad now?!" 

Mr. Robinson, Gumby, and the holiday family skit were all epic, but the North Pole skit at the end stuck the landing perfectly. "It don't matter what my name is!"

Thank you, Eddie. You've still got it.

• Love 15

I think I laughed more in this episode than I did the rest of the season combined. Buckwheat doing Respect alone had me rolling.

I don’t know if many of the skits ended abruptly or what, but the crowd didn’t quite seem to know when they were over. Very hesitant.

Also I just discovered Lizzo a month or two ago and I liked both of her performances tonight.

All in all a great way to head into Christmas week. I’ve been critical all season, so I’m giving props where due... thank you, SNL.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, vb68 said:

Hey Pete was even in the building with Larry David present! Must be the power of Eddie Murphy.

No disrepect to Eddie but I think it's more that it's the holiday season. The Airing of Grievances is over and now is the time for Feats of (Emotional) Strength.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Wonder if that first outfit Lizzo wore was custom made for her? Those looked like Gucci colors. Whatever, she is a gorgeous woman.

Seeing Dave Chappelle and Eddie Murphy together makes me miss Charlie Murphy so much. I know Eddie loved him dearly.    

Oh that's the connection! At first I was like, "Wait, was Dave Chappelle ever on SNL?" Charlie Murphy completely skipped my mind.

Great show to finish out the year and the 2010s.

• Love 6