Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E10: Eddie Murphy/Lizzo

• Start Topic

On 12/22/2019 at 1:44 AM, vb68 said:

Oh yeah, even if it was petty, I laughed at the Bill Cosby dig in the monologue. I never knew how much of that feud was real, but Eddie totally won. 

His Bill Cosby bit in Raw is one my most favorite comedy bits of all time. I've seen it a bajillion times and it still kills me. I'm glad Eddie made a comment about him.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:54 AM, GoldenGirl90 said:

Seeing Dave Chappelle and Eddie Murphy together makes me miss Charlie Murphy so much. I know Eddie loved him dearly.

Me too!

18 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I thought Buckwheat was killed!

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a3d6e27f1e0fa5dee56

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a9157bbe27892a5e4b1

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a9e2bb21fd5818c10b7

I was 11 when this aired and it blew my little kid mind away and introduced me to Eddie Murphy. Wasn't often I would be up that late to watch so this was a real introduction to the kind of comedy I'd come to love. I remember it so vividly so I was tickled pink to see Buckwheat alive and well.

Awesome ep! I cannot recall the last time I laughed out loud at SNL. Eddie Murphy still has it and I cannot wait for the new Coming to America movie. I hope he'll return to host again.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

They were both at Northwestern, I believe, and had a little improv group in Chicago before they were asked to join snl at the same time.  

Their older son also attended Northwestern and played on the basketball team.  I was in Evanston a few years ago, walking to a restaurant, and saw this very tall, pale, vaguely familiar-looking man across the street, followed by a very short dark-haired woman.  Took me a moment to realize it was Brad and Julia.  I assumed they were in town to see their son.

11 hours ago, kib said:

I think there are a lot of comedians, perhaps more so in the black community but for anyone practicing the art, that will look at the riff with some sense of relief that Murphy just made it OK to go after Cosby.

It didn't feel to me like Murphy was "going after" Cosby -- it was a pretty mild, truth-based joke, IMO.  Amy Poehler and Tina Fey were much harsher at the Golden Globes almost 5 years ago.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Also Eddie Murphy's joke was pretty gentle. 

But Bill Cosby is just wrong. Eddie Murphy got his fame when he was 19 on SNL in the early 80s. Bill Cosby's show didn't start running until 1984. I'm pretty sure Eddie would have been a star with or without Bill Cosby.

Anyway back to topic: I had forgotten how infectious Eddie Murphy's giggle is. At 2:46 here it just makes me happy.

Not wanting to defend BC, but he had comedy albums and tours from the late 60's onward.  

My siblings and I loved them.  

So sad now. 

Plus Richard Pryor was an early giant influence on many comics.

They opened doors for Black comics and actors, but talent keeps you in the room where it all happens. Eddie is wonderfully funny and just likable. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 7

NBC's Instagram has this. As I said, really goes to show that ppl dont change. The mannerisms and expressions are exactly the same. 

I think Eddie and Bill Cosby are/were very different comics. Eddie has always been the goofy comic, willing to do anything for a laugh. Like even things like Shrek you could hear the goofiness in the inflections. Bill Cosby is more of a straight man stand up comic. 

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:54 AM, GoldenGirl90 said:

ETA: I love how they all lost it during the live update with Gumby. “Trailer boy”

For me, it was Gumby calling Colin 'Headshot'.....don't know why, but that had me ki-king for a good 5 minutes and kept chuckling about it long after the show. 

I know it was a monologue but Eddie seemed pleasantly surprised at seeing Tracy, Chris and especially that fool Dave.  Bill Cosby joke was funny af. 

Only disappointment was Joe Piscopo not being on, that would have been epic.

Black Jeopardy would have been hilarious if Eddie had done his Shabazz K. Morton character instead of Velvet Jones, who is a 2 minute character at best.  Shabazz would have blown the roof off the sucka!

Check him out talking about Black History Minute:

I liked the Mr. Robinson's sketch but figured the wig was due to Mr. Robinson finally becoming old.  Loved him yelling at the neighbors for exactly what they excused him of, stealing their television!

The Masked Singer bit was funny but all I could think of was the fact that Buckwheat had been killed all those years ago....who could forget "Oh Mr. Wheat?" followed by gunshots, lol.

Home for the Holidays was hysterical, especially at the end when the white dude called Eddie 'Dad' and Eddie squinted his eyes...you know he was about to go off.

The Elf sketch was good, Eddie did sound like Donkey didn't he?

Finally, Lizzo?  LIZZO!  Claude have mercy, she was GOD!  First of all, loved that outfit when she did Truth Hurts.  And as a big girl I loved seeing a couple of heavy dancers, who along with Lizzo did...not...break a sweat!  The guitar girl was funky and I loved her hair.  Good as Hell was on fire, the lyrics smacked me in the face.  Best SNL performance ever!

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

It didn't feel to me like Murphy was "going after" Cosby -- it was a pretty mild, truth-based joke, IMO.  Amy Poehler and Tina Fey were much harsher at the Golden Globes almost 5 years ago.

Agreed, it was pretty mild but it had the same effect as if Mickey Mantle publicly pissed on Joe DiMaggio's grave (that is if Joltin' Joe had been a convicted sex offender)

Edited by kib
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

For me, it was Gumby calling Colin 'Headshot'.....don't know why, but that had me ki-king for a good 5 minutes and kept chuckling about it long after the show. 

"Headshot" was hilarious, too! I was cracking up the whole time. Then when he said he wasn't leaving and Colin lost it again! 😂 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

Their older son also attended Northwestern and played on the basketball team.  I was in Evanston a few years ago, walking to a restaurant, and saw this very tall, pale, vaguely familiar-looking man across the street, followed by a very short dark-haired woman.  Took me a moment to realize it was Brad and Julia.  I assumed they were in town to see their son.

They came to as many games as they could and their son rarely played.  {heart}

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

I know it was a monologue but Eddie seemed pleasantly surprised at seeing Tracy, Chris and especially that fool Dave.  Bill Cosby joke was funny af. 

Black Jeopardy would have been hilarious if Eddie had done his Shabazz K. Morton character instead of Velvet Jones, who is a 2 minute character at best.  Shabazz would have blown the roof off the sucka!

"So I messed up, SO WHAT?"

"Keep Smilin'!" when Eddie flubbed again and audience laughed.

I was rollin' here.

• Love 3

I have no idea where to put these, I was tempted to put them in Classic, but since they pertain to this episode...

A number of alum attended the show. 

Finesse Mitchell (03-06) has several photos on his Instagram. 

Robin Duke (cast member from 81-84...frequently the "ho" in the Velvet Jones sketches).

Jay Pharoah was also there (I think he was on an Instagram story - I don't know if there are any photos of him around).

I didn't realize until today that apparently some people were choosing not to show Kenan as part of the group on the stage in the monologue, which led to this tweet:

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

This was a legendary episode--a nice mix of callbacks, going in new directions ("My name is not important!") and mixes, like Black Jeopardy! with Velvet Jones.

How he spends his free time is not my business, but wherever you go, good luck, Pete Davidson.  (If anyone reading this needs to hear it, you matter too, and help is worth getting.)

It's amazing how Kenan Thompson stays humble after being so good in so many things for so long. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah everyone!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I didn't realize until today that apparently some people were choosing not to show Kenan as part of the group on the stage in the monologue, which led to this tweet:

I saw so many hateful comments on social media about Kenan. Some people were cropping him out of the picture or saying he didn’t deserve to be there. Well, adults who were coming-of-age in the 90s like myself would care to differ with that assessment. Kenan & Kel and All That bring back fond memories for me and countless others. In addition to his many years on SNL, I’d say he’s done quite well for himself. I know you’re not saying that in your post, I’m just going on a tangent right now for the people who are saying it.

Ya done well, Kenan.

/rant over lol

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • Love 13

I don't really get the hoopla over this Kenan thing.  So many people , including myself, posted the picture of the 4 comedians in real time, as we were watching the show, before Kenan even got onstage.

So then somebody decided to make a viral tweet about everyone disrespecting Kenan.  Sigh.

I'm too old to have grown up with Kenan.  I grew up with Dave, Chris, and Tracy saying their biggest influence was Eddie (and Richard Pryor).  Tracy Morgan is very clear that his 3 idols in life are Eddie, Bruce Lee, and Evil Knievel.  If I have that right.  Dave obviously had a close relationship with Charlie Murphy who was an integral part on his show.  And Chris obviously starred in Boomerang when he was super young.

What connection do I know of between Kenan and Eddie?  I just don't have that connection.  Yes, Kenan is an incredibly long running and black cast member of SNL, I just don't have any nostalgia or huge heroism towards him.  Meanwhile I do for the other 3.  It's not a jab at him at all.  One cannot dictate to another person who their influences or idols are or should be.  It's not even personal like that. Nobody in the world hates Kenan Thompson.  

Anyway:

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Are they feuding? Enquiring minds want to know.

Pete dated LD's daughter, Cazzie David, right before Pete dated Ariana Grande.

Pete is in a couple episodes of Tan France's Youtube show.  I think it's called "Dressing Funny".  In the first,  Pete is specifically getting advice from Tan on impressing his girlfriend's family, who is actually Larry David and family.

• Useful 3

Eddie was......EDDIE, especially as he got more comfortable, which happened right about as Buckwheat gave his final "O Tay"........and clearly carried through Gumby and right through that great final skit. Eddie yelling like that is NEVER not funny.

I LOVED that while he brought back the characters, he did fresh and interesting material and not just a  re-do of an existing skit. And I've been been gigling about "all the tinga nadies" since it aired.

It didn't feel to me like Murphy was "going after" Cosby -- it was a pretty mild, truth-based joke, IMO.  Amy Poehler and Tina Fey were much harsher at the Golden Globes almost 5 years ago.

I absolutely agree. He could have been much tougher and "who is America's Dad now" is just about the perfect way to sum up where we are today....an involved dad vs an incarcerated rapist.

By the way, Eddie had a chance to be much tougher back at the 40th anniversary and decided NOT to kick Cosby really hard....and in fact that is why he wasn't in any sketches that night. https://www.gq.com/story/eddie-murphy-snl-40-explanation

And one other historical (I think) fact is that while Eddie "did" James Brown a couple of times, the "Celerbrity Hot Tub" bit only happened once. It was hysterical, but I am NOT shocked he didnt do it again. Now I AM shocked that we didnt get the Stevie Wonder Experience, but hey, anything they did would have been a parody or complete redoing of the same sketch.

In the category of "what if"...I wish they would have started the cold open and half way through, maybe right after Maya did her Kamala, Lorne Michaels had walked out and stopped it and said something like...."ok, that's enough of this, we have Eddie here" or something like that.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, AriAu said:

In the category of "what if"...I wish they would have started the cold open and half way through, maybe right after Maya did her Kamala, Lorne Michaels had walked out and stopped it and said something like...."ok, that's enough of this, we have Eddie here" or something like that.

I kept trying to think of who they could have had Eddie play in the cold open.  I guess Obama, which would had been something for sure, but not surprised that there was probably no way he'd want to do THAT.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone. Thanks to everyone, especially the regular posters, who make this thread such a wonderful place. 🙂

• Love 5
On 12/24/2019 at 12:27 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Eddie Murphy and Lizzo was the best Christmas present SNL could have given us this year! To all the tinga nadies--

2139026163_ScreenShot2019-12-23at4_09_42PM.png.2a3c7177be9efc2886ef1b565b347cb1.png

I think the best part was he was able to sing the rest of the song in Spanish which made me laugh harder.

• Love 6

If you want a much harder sketch on Bill Cosby, Eddie already did it over 30 years ago. On SNL.

Bill Cosby is giving little kids beer. Holy shit at the sketch. Eddie captures Bill Cosby's mannerisms so well while adding a layer of inappropriateness and creepiness that I suspect was already industry talk back then. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I can't get that song out of my head either!  It will be "all the tinga nadies" to me from now on.  

And his little hand turns just slayed me, heehee! (Sidenote: He has really nice looking skin! I wish my hands looked that good, heh!) I don't know which made me laugh harder, "Tinga Nadies" or "Aneese Nameena!" I just love Buckwheat and Eddie Murphy looked like he had a blast bringing him and his other old characters back!

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

Black Jeopardy: Velvet Jones on Black Jeopardy!! Out of all of his characters, I'm not too shocked that he aged the worst (but that seems to be the point). Kind of a dud, sadly. I think it was because Eddie kept flubbing and it threw off the timing. The ads were great, especially "Put Some Water In It."

That was the only sketch which I thought was not so good.  It wasn't terrible, but I think Black Jeopardy peaked with the Tom Hanks episode, and it's been kind of downhill since then.

But otherwise, yeah, Eddie Murphy coming back was great.  I loved, loved, loved the North Pole sketch at the end; that's usually where the worst sketch of the show ends up, but it was actually one of the best for a change.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:25 AM, possibilities said:

I don't know what it is about Lizzo, but I love her. Doesn't matter what the song is, or the outfit, or the dancing, Lizzo being there is enough, whatever she's doing, and I'm happy.

I didn't think I'd ever heard anything by Lizzo, but turns out I hear that second song on the radio all the time.  I just didn't know it was Lizzo.  Not sure if I liked the first song or not, but it wasn't boring.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

The Masked Singer bit was funny but all I could think of was the fact that Buckwheat had been killed all those years ago....who could forget "Oh Mr. Wheat?" followed by gunshots, lol.

Ass Dan died in every sketch he appeared in (I wanna say six?)

• LOL 2
On 12/24/2019 at 12:27 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Eddie Murphy and Lizzo was the best Christmas present SNL could have given us this year! To all the tinga nadies--

2139026163_ScreenShot2019-12-23at4_09_42PM.png.2a3c7177be9efc2886ef1b565b347cb1.png

I also loved "Aneese Nameena" because he sang, "próspero año y felicidad,"

Edited by LakeLover
  • LOL 2

This was on again last night. I didn't remember the opening from the first time and got sucked into watching it before I deleted it. Also did not remember Alec Baldwin as Trump wearing hoop earrings and then quickly taking them off once he got to the podium as if someone was maybe signaling him to do so. At first I thought it was part of the skit. Very strange.

2 hours ago, msrachelj said:

This was on again last night. I didn't remember the opening from the first time and got sucked into watching it before I deleted it. 

I only checked to see which show this was and who was hosting it, but I also ended up watching most of it.  It was surprising how much better this episode was than most.

"Don't go near that dog.  He funny".

I watched the entire opening and didn’t realize it was a repeat until the show announced Eddie Murphy. That’s how repetitive and bland these political cold openings have become, at least for me. 

• Love 3
On 12/26/2019 at 8:30 PM, ChitChat said:

I can't get that song out of my head either!  It will be "all the tinga nadies" to me from now on.  

Kind of like whenever I hear "Once....twice...Three Times a Lady," on some oldies station, I have ALWAYS sung it, "Unce....tice....Fee times a Mady..." since the 80's. Every single time. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

I needed to mention this: one of the "prizes" on Black Jeopardy was "Put Some Water In It."  My Haitian mom has been saying this A LOT lately when I'm about to clean out my smoothie cup or toss out a salad bottle. 

• Love 1
On 2/16/2020 at 10:31 AM, msrachelj said:

This was on again last night. I didn't remember the opening from the first time and got sucked into watching it before I deleted it. Also did not remember Alec Baldwin as Trump wearing hoop earrings and then quickly taking them off once he got to the podium as if someone was maybe signaling him to do so. At first I thought it was part of the skit. Very strange.

It was a send-up of Dr. Phil and his "famous" guest Danielle Abrogli (??) the "Catch me outside how bout dat" girl.  I wish I didn't know any of this, but Alec was pretending to be backstage, and then I think he even said the "catch me outside" bit while taking off his earrings... as one does before a fight.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/21/2019 at 11:50 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve gotta say, I’m a little disappointed to see both Mr Robinson and Black Jeopardy without a cameo from Tom Hanks, but otherwise I’m enjoying it. 

They Should Not Have Tom Hanks On Black Jeopardy ! This Is Eddie's Big Moment So Velvet Jones Is On Black Jeopardy ! You Don't Have Kenan Saying you're All Right Doug ! You Have Kenan Saying Please Don't Use The Word Ho And Velvet Jones With His Book Ass For Cash ! ! IT Doesn't Go Together To Have Mister Rodgers And Mister Robinson ! ! Eddie Would Say No, I Don't Have Your TV And Tom Would Say That's Not Very Nice And Eddie Would Say I Don't Care Whether That's Nice ! !

On 12/22/2019 at 12:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: We open with the Democrat Debate...which I missed because I was watching Star Wars. "Just like The Bachelor, the longer it goes the less diverse it gets." So true. So good to see not only Rachel Dratch and Larry David back, but Fred Armisen back as Bloomerg, and Jason Sudeikis(!!) back as Biden. And Maya coming back as Kamala. I'm gonna miss her. And then it turned into Maury with Alec as Trump being backstage the whole time, I really liked that. Eh, it was the Christmas show, I'm guessing this is where they're sticking the cameos. A appreciated the quick change for Kate to become Nancy Pelosi at the end. 

Monologue: Eddie already killing it before he even said a word. No pressure to do well, man. Tracy Morgan, Chris Rock, and Dave Chappelle showing up were just icing on the cake. 

"Who the hell was that?"
"Joe Piscopo."

Shots fired.

Mister Robinson's Neighborhood: Mister Robinson's Neighborhood was gentrified, this is already great. Everything about this was great. From staying around thanks to Squatter's Rights, being accused of stealing TVs (which he totally did) to 23 and Me, everything was pitch perfect.

Holiday Baking Championships: It's the same sketch from the Don Cheadle episode, but I don't care. Ugly cakes are always funny. Eddie Murphy baking an ugly Sonic The Hedgehog cake is the BEST. I never knew I needed this. The cake having human teeth was definitely a slam at the original movie design. And then came the pink penis castle cake.

Home For The Holidays: Maya Rudolph AND Eddie Murphy in the same sketch?! YES. This was a lot like the Mother's Day sketches, but I really enjoyed this one.

The Masked Singer: Finally, this gets taken down a peg. Well, that was one way to get Buckwheat in the episode. I was hoping it'd be him, and when the words on the screen confirmed it I was so happy. It was good to know he survived getting shot.

WU: Yeah, the news got super weird this week. Trump got impeached, and all he could talk about was toilets. And then GUMBY shows up, dammit! Yes! I loved seeing him again.

"Pokey is in a dog food factory for all I care!" Shots fired.

Even Pete came in and was great. Yeah, he knew he had to follow Gumby. Waiting around for Tosh to retire was my favorite bit. He pretty much said he was going to rehab, right? Good on him.

The surprise jokes were great. Opening with the Mayor Joke for Colin was the best, but outright REFUSING to read his last joke was even better. I caught "Harriet Tubman" on it.

And then Cecily as Judge Pirro had to follow all that, but I thought she didn't disappoint. I don't think I've seen Colin breaking so hard in ages. Did she say "Merry fucking Christmas" at the end?!

Black Jeopardy: Velvet Jones on Black Jeopardy!! Out of all of his characters, I'm not too shocked that he aged the worst (but that seems to be the point). Kind of a dud, sadly. I think it was because Eddie kept flubbing and it threw off the timing. The ads were great, especially "Put Some Water In It."

North Pole News: Eddie Murphy going nuts is always great. He was using his donkey voice for that one.

Eddie Murphy putting 110% in is what we all needed tonight. He knew he had sky high expectations and I'd say he pulled it off. A great host can elevate lousy material (see: Hanks, Tom) Lizzo was great, too. I just know that Update going off the rails got at least one sketch cut. But if Gumby wants to stop the show, you let him. I hope he comes back sooner than 30 years.

We return January 25th with Adam Driver. I hope Matt The Radar Technician comes back.

I know you meant to say Mike Bloomberg ! Maybe, We will see Jim Carrey Next Week And see how he does as Joe Biden ! I STILL Wish Jason Would be Joe Biden ! Well, We will see Maya In Two OR Three Weeks because of the Vice President Debate ! I Thought That Was SO Neat how They Repeated This Episode With Eddie And Chris Rock was in The Monologue And Next Week Chris Rock WILL Be The Host On The New Season Of Saturday Night Live ! Maybe, That Is Why Lorne Decided To Have Chris Rock Be The First Host OF The New Season OF Saturday Night Live ! They Gave Eddie A TV In Trading Places And Said That The TV Was His ! I Did Not See Shrek So I did Not Know that Eddie Was Doing The Voice OF The Donkey In That Skit !  I Do Know That Eddie Was The Voice OF the Donkey In Shrek And That Mike Myers Was Shrek ! !

On 12/22/2019 at 12:06 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I tuned back in after sporadic viewing just to see Eddie, hoping to see throwbacks, and it did not disappoint. From Mr. Robinson, to Gumby, to Buckwheat, it was like being reunited with old friends. Never mind the last time I remembered them, I was in ELEMENTARY school. (Yes, I'm old!)

Was the writing the best? Debatable. But Eddie gave 120% and that was more than good enough for me.

With that said, I got my Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood skit!  😄 Just wish the gray wig took a hike, as I said. The rest was as great as I remembered!

I Think You Are About FIFTY, But I Was Out OF College So I Was SIXTY EIGHT Last December In 2019 So I AM Older Than You ! !

On 12/22/2019 at 12:29 AM, Mommaj said:

In my masochistic way, I don't think I've ever missed an SNL since it started, and I can say without hesitation that this was the best show in YEARS. I'd give my eye teeth to be at the post show shindig tonight.

I Think There Are Other Very Good Shows ! There Was Adam Driver And My Personal Favorite was John Mulaney ! Even That Phoebe Show Was Very Good ! ! !

On 12/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, Fostersmom said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling this show. I get they wanted to use Eddie's old characters, but let's be honest, sketches that are literally pushing 40 years old just feels lazy. The Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood at least got an updated twist, but the others were just kind of stale and a bit cringey IMO. 

I could have done without seeing Lizzo's ass in the second song, although I will say this was the first time in a long time I actually watched both the musical numbers. 

I didn't realize Pete was struggling again. I hope he can get the help he needs.

Eddie Talked about The Instagram Ho And They Absolutely Did NOT Have That In The 1980's ! They Absolutely Did NOT Have The Masked Singer Back In The 1980's !

As much as I loved how Eddie shared his monologue with Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan Dave Chappelle and Kenan, part of me expected him to open the show parading around with Lizzo to "Party All the Time."

I actually would have loved to see that, but this was better.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:01 AM, ChitChat said:

I can't remember the last time I watched SNL, but seeing that Eddie Murphy was going to host, well, I had to tune in!  My favorite sketches were the Masked Singer and Home for the Holidays (which hit a little close to home in some aspects!)

I was hoping for a James Brown hot tub sketch, but I was happy with the characters they did bring back.  As others have said, they needed to keep it fresh with new sketches.  I thought it was one of SNL's better nights.  Bravo to Eddie Murphy!  

Okay, back to my corner of the world.  I'm sure it'll be a long time before I tune back in to SNL.  There's only a handful of guest hosts that can get me to tune into this show anymore. 

Hello Chit Chat. You REALLY Need To Watch John Mulaney When He Hosts ! That Has David Byrnes Who Was With Talking Heads ! This Time, David Byrnes Is With Many Dancers And They Have A Show On Broadway ! ! This Is In March OR The End Of February, But John Mulaney Is There To Promote March ! That Was A Joke In His Monologue ! That Is An Extremely Hilarious Monologue ! They Have A Sketch About Sushi AT The Airport Which Is LaGuardia Which Has A Bad Reputation I Think ! The Talking Heads Have A Hit Song Called The Road To Nowhere, But David Brynes Sings In The Sushi Sketch On The Plane To Nowhere ! They Do A Mixture OF Several Musicals And Kate Is Auntie Orphan Annie ! There Is NO Musical Guest Like David Brynes And These Dancers That Have Different Musical Instruments And They Dance All Over The Stage !

On 12/22/2019 at 3:45 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, Buckwheat is part immortal.

OTAY !

On 12/22/2019 at 9:04 PM, heatherchandler said:

They were both at Northwestern, I believe, and had a little improv group in Chicago before they were asked to join snl at the same time.  

They Were Also With Gary Kroeger !

On 12/22/2019 at 10:10 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Also Eddie Murphy's joke was pretty gentle. 

But Bill Cosby is just wrong. Eddie Murphy got his fame when he was 19 on SNL in the early 80s. Bill Cosby's show didn't start running until 1984. I'm pretty sure Eddie would have been a star with or without Bill Cosby.

Anyway back to topic: I had forgotten how infectious Eddie Murphy's giggle is. At 2:46 here it just makes me happy.

Actually, Bill Cosby Was On Ed Sullivan And May Have Been On Johnny Carson's Tonight Show ! ! Bill Cosby Had A TV Show And I Think He Was A Teacher Named Chet ! Later, Bill Cosby Got His Emmy Playing In I Spy With Robert Culp ! THEN, He Got His Show Where He Was Cliff Huxtable I Think In 1984 When Eddie LEFT Saturday Night Live ! I DO Think Eddie Would Have STILL Had His Successful Movies ! By The Way, I Thought Eddie Should Have Won The Academy Award For Dream Girls !

On 12/23/2019 at 8:50 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I haven't watched this show in YEARS. But when Eddie was on Colbert's show recently and said he was going to be hosting again? I was SO EXCITED.

And Eddie DID.NOT.DISSAPOINT! The cherry on the sundae of this episode would have been to see Joe Piscopo show up. But it was SUBLIME without him.

"Girl, THEY DEAD!" had me 🤣🤣 along with "It doesn't matter who I am!" or was it What my name is! But Buckwheat TOPS the list. Mr. Robinson, a veryclose second! And Gumby!!!!!

Eddie Said IT Doesn't Matter What MY Name Is, But, He May Have Also Said IT Doesn't Matter Who I Am ! !

On 12/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

I liked the Mr. Robinson's sketch but figured the wig was due to Mr. Robinson finally becoming old.  Loved him yelling at the neighbors for exactly what they excused him of, stealing their television!

Home for the Holidays was hysterical, especially at the end when the white dude called Eddie 'Dad' and Eddie squinted his eyes...you know he was about to go off.

The Elf sketch was good, Eddie did sound like Donkey didn't he?

Finally, Lizzo?  LIZZO!  Claude have mercy, she was GOD!  First of all, loved that outfit when she did Truth Hurts.  And as a big girl I loved seeing a couple of heavy dancers, who along with Lizzo did...not...break a sweat!  The guitar girl was funky and I loved her hair.  Good as Hell was on fire, the lyrics smacked me in the face.  Best SNL performance ever!

NO, David Brynes With His Dancers WERE The Best Performance Ever ! !

• LOL 1
  • Love 1