Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Okay, I understand the term in context, but what are the origins of "tock"?

i'm not really sure how it originated. but basically with the baby storylines you've got

Ticks - baby survives.
Tocks - baby dies

so good/bad/good/bad, tick/tock hehe

the show has had so many ticks though (like the only other tock they've had was with willow) so it's kinda time since there are a lotta babies. (truthfully Louise shoulda been one too)

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

IIRC, Jason and Britt each saw a card Peter to control Drew when they were all in the wine cellar together, and they briefly talked about it before Peter moved Britt. Or something equally stupid as that. It's all so dumb.

Jason saw the card that controls Drew and Britt saw the card that breaks the control and they both heard the "stand down" or whatever. That's why I was wondering if Jason told her which card she needs to steal next, since Mr. Clean seems incredibly stupid and also blind if he didn't keep an eye on their interaction. I hate these sorts of plot points.

I hate it even more that they retconned this storyline so much to try and make Peter into this Machiavellian smarty type asshat that him paying someone to pretend that Drew's plane was brought down when he had the failsafe all along makes him look like the dumbest dumb that ever dumbed. Which he is.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

the show has had so many ticks though (like the only other tock they've had was with willow) so it's kinda time since there are a lotta babies. (truthfully Louise shoulda been one too)

Does Brook Lynn's fake pregnancy count as a tock?

27 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

A living soap opera baby is a tick?? As in, a bloodsucking parasite?

Yeah, I guess that tracks.

Ha! It's actually "tick, tock," meaning the live and dead babies alternate like the ticking of a clock, but that was pretty funny!

ETA: ....or you totally knew that already and that was part of the joke, ignore me.

Edited by Melgaypet
On 11/15/2021 at 3:33 PM, statsgirl said:

I won't forgive Portia for her Corinthos ass-kissing but at least she saw through Esme even if she can't see through Carly and Sonny.

It's starting to crack me up at the growing number of people who meet Esme for the first time and almost immediately say that she's trouble

• Love 7
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's all so dumb.

Truer words were seldom spoken.

I remember how I cheered when I thought that he was finally dead last May. We never did get an explanation for how he got out of the freezer and did it without vital signs and no one noticing.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Truer words were seldom spoken.

I remember how I cheered when I thought that he was finally dead last May. We never did get an explanation for how he got out of the freezer and did it without vital signs and no one noticing.

Lorenzo Alcazar came along and used his superpulse finding powers and sent him to that superspecial doctor in South America or wherever.

• LOL 3
46 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Ha! It's actually "tick, tock," meaning the live and dead babies alternate like the ticking of a clock, but that was pretty funny!

ETA: ....or you totally knew that already and that was part of the joke, ignore me.

No, I actually had no idea. I was aware of the term “tock”, but without context. Thanks for explaining.

But seriously, if “tick tock” refers to babies’ alternating outcomes, and “tocks” are the dead ones, then shouldn’t the live ones be ticks?

I’m sticking to it. It just makes sense to me, on multiple levels.

1 minute ago, 30 Helens said:

But seriously, if “tick tock” refers to babies’ alternating outcomes, and “tocks” are the dead ones, then shouldn’t the live ones be ticks?

the live ones are ticks.

Today's notes: 

hahaha Willow sees Nina and instead of you know. turning around and walking away she stands there with her mouth opening like she peed her pants. Wiley screams grandma and runs to Nina and once again Willow looks like she pees her pants. it pleases me LOL. Willow just shut up. Willow SHUT. UP. You screwed Michael behind your husband's back, and Chase forgave you. Find some grace, cow. 

Everytime we've seen Charlie's- full and busy. Phylis takes over for one day - NOT full and busy. teehee. 

That moment Gladys was all caring with Sasha just shows she can be a great person. just dump all the whole... getting stuff for nothing (and as predicted. she thinks that BLQ locked them in)

Hey Carly. how do you think Monica feels seeing you all the time? Cow. 

Olivia hears all the signs about kids with Autism Spectrum and she's all oh i was scared, we need to talk. (and Ned is being the awesomenest awesome he already is. deal with this situation and still divorce Olivia).

Carly sees Nina hugging their grandson so she's all. activate hoard mode.

• Love 7

OMG! Is Willow about to get a taste of the real Carly? You know, not the smiley, giggly one, but the Cujo foaming at the mouth instead? Because of that's the case, then please, let her see what Carly is really like. Also, I really hate you, Carly. I'm glad these characters are not real people. Phyllis should start charging for therapy. I think the only reason Carly went to see her was so that she can bitch and moan about Nina. 

It seems like it's finally starting to sink into Olivia's thick skull that her son needs help. It's funny though that Dante didn't even flinch or have a reaction to Ned talking about reading up on people on the spectrum. Does he know about any of the stuff that's been going on with his brother and his mother? DZ is also looking really good. 

Gladys was really good with Sasha. This is the potential the character has when the writers clean her up and allow her to be normal and not some loudmouth grifter. Then she went right back to being her obnoxious self. But I knew she would accuse BL of locking her up. 

The Alexis/Sonny scenes were good.

The Brando actor is not a bad looking man, but he looks like the Grinch when he smiles for some reason.

Yes, Esme, making out with your boyfriend in front of the girl HE is crushing on works real well. What is this? High school? Actually forget I asked.

I'm sort of surprised that there wasn't more urgency on Ava's part to find Leo. That's her dead brother's son. Oh, he was walking down the street on the sidewalk, by himself, in the dark, but he was 100% fine. Cheerio! The fuck, Ava! That's your nephew!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Everytime we've seen Charlie's- full and busy. Phylis takes over for one day - NOT full and busy. teehee. 

LOL. I guess we now know why the Tan-O did so poorly. Phyllis has no idea how to manage a bar. And still no mention of how Kristina feels about it. Nice parenting there, Sonny.

I'm so sick of access to stupid Wiley being used as punishment or reward. It's gross. What Nina did to Sonny (which wasn't illegal!) has nothing to do with her relationship with that stupid kid.

2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm sort of surprised that there wasn't more urgency on Ava's part to find Leo. That's her dead brother's son. Oh, he was walking down the street on the sidewalk, by himself, in the dark, but he was 100% fine. Cheerio! The fuck, Ava! That's your nephew!

I think she figured there were enough people looking for Leo she wasn't needed. Also, someone had to stay in the gallery just in case. Ava is the logical person. Plus, Dante was there and put out an amber alert. Ava isn't needed. I'm fine with her level of participation.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think she figured there were enough people looking for Leo she wasn't needed. Also, someone had to stay in the gallery just in case. Ava is the logical person. Plus, Dante was there and put out an amber alert. Ava isn't needed. I'm fine with her level of participation.

You're giving the writers too much credit. I'm pretty sure they forgot she and Leo are elated.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Gladys was really good with Sasha. This is the potential the character has when the writers clean her up and allow her to be normal and not some loudmouth grifter. Then she went right back to being her obnoxious self. But I knew she would accuse BL of locking her up. 

Yes I really liked how she handled Sasha and tried to keep her calm while inwardly she was obviously freaking out. She was also good with the little Brando pep talk.

26 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think she was trying to reassure Olivia that Leo hadn’t been abducted or something. She did run into the back room to check the security footage so I think she was concerned. How ridiculous that Brooklyn and Olivia didn’t find Gladys and Sasha though, so much for checking every inch of the gallery. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

How ridiculous that Brooklyn and Olivia didn’t find Gladys and Sasha though, so much for checking every inch of the gallery. 

BLQ did check the backroom and she knew Leo wasn't there. they never went back to double check.

27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm so sick of access to stupid Wiley being used as punishment or reward. It's gross. What Nina did to Sonny (which wasn't illegal!) has nothing to do with her relationship with that stupid kid.

THANK YOU!!!! I hate everything to do w/Wiley, and I hate all the false drama around him.  "If Nelle gets custody, she will kill Wiley." "If Nina gets to see Wiley, he will implode and die." 🙄

Just stop! No one cares about Wiley! That brat will be fine if he sees Nina.  But this is what the Corinthos cult does - steal and prevent access to children! They make me so sick! 

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think Ava was trying to reassure Olivia.  If Leo was walking down the street by himself it meant Leo had not been taken by anyone, and was most likely still in the neighborhood.   

• Love 6

Carly, maybe Phyllis wants to live close to work.  Commuting is the pits. Carly's bright smile to Phyllis screamed "I'm going to replace Nina in your life."

Leo showed Brook Lynn pictures of sea creatures. Then he disappears in the direction of the docks. Oh, where could he be??? This is not rocket science people, you don't need to have done the reading first. But thanks for the PSA.

Leo goes to look for an octopus in the dark.  I blame the photographs. I said yesterday that the pictures would have been better if the backgrounds weren't all black.

Maxie tells Austin not to badmouth Brook Lynn to her. Phyllis says nothing when Carly badmouths Nina to her. Maxie is a better friend to her frenemy than Phyllis is to Nina, the woman who is her supposed good friend and who offered to pay for Lenny's cancer treatment.

Why is Wylie in daycare at the hospital when he has two parents and a nanny?

I am so sick of Nina being tortured because people missed Sony. It's boring, ad that's the cardinal sin of a TV shw.

"You've en charged in Pennsylvania and the court will decide your punishment." Uh, Willow, she has has to be proved guilty first. Just because the Corinthos clan is yelling "Guilty!" doesn't mean that she is. Also, you can't blame Nina for keeping Wylie's grandfather from him when you and Michael are happily keeping Wylie's grandmother from him. The entitlement is strong.

36 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Sonny ditched his daughter running the bar for this. Is the point to make Charlie's a tax write-off?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

she thinks that BLQ locked them in)

and 

56 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

But I knew she would accuse BL of locking her up. 

But it makes sense.  BLQ came to the door, saw Gladys in there then left.  Then Gladys tries the door and it's wedged shut.  The logical conclusion would be that BLQ did it and not that there is a sociopathic psycho with an unatural vendetta in the other room.  Had BLQ not come to the door, than I would think Gladys is dumb for blaming her, but she did, so it makes some sense.  

31 minutes ago, Daisy said:

they never went back to double check.

but if a kid is missing wouldn't you double check and triple check every nook and crany of that building?  I mean, it was a plot point for Brando to find them and for Gladys to find out that they were deliberately locked in but still.    

Color me surprised that Brando finally decided that Sasha had been in the bathroom for 89098 hours and he should check on her and heard Gladys yelling.  Also color me shocked that Ava was allowed to check security footage, tht they didn't need to call in Spinelli with his constant keyboard pounding to do it.  

Carly's logic makes no sense to me.  "Ive known Sonny for decades, but now I don't know who he was for the past 9 months....."  You also didn't know him from birth to age 30 and yet manage to survive just fine.  What the hell.  Methinks Carly's just pissed because her precious Sonny isn't the blood thirsty jerkoff that he was NINE MONTHS ago, you know, when he ran after a bleeding and dying Julian and allowed him to fall to his death.  

Edited by perkie1968
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Maxie tells Austin not to badmouth Brook Lynn to her. Phyllis says nothing when Carly badmouths Nina to her. Maxie is a better friend to her frenemy than Phyllis is to Nina, the woman who is her supposed good friend and who offered to pay for Lenny's cancer treatment.

We watched NINE months of Phyllis pushing Nina at Smike while knowing he was married. Will we ever see her accepting any responsibility or voicing any guilt (to someone, anyone) for that?

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Daisy said:

i'm not really sure how it originated. but basically with the baby storylines you've got

Ticks - baby survives.
Tocks - baby dies

so good/bad/good/bad, tick/tock hehe

When that term first started getting used, only around half of soap pregnancies resulted in living children. Miscarriage and stillborn SLs were fairly common, especially among lead characters. It’s been rare since FV took over the show. Think we’ve only had Sabrina/Patrick’s kid and Willow’s, which pre-dated her onscreen arrival. 

• Useful 2

Willow, exactly what price is everyone paying? Sonny is back, he's fine, he's in charge of the business, he can see his children (the ones he remembers he has). Nina is persona non grata. Seems to me she's is the only one who's suffering here.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Methinks Carly's just pissed because her precious Sonny isn't the blood thirsty jerkoff that he was NINE MONTHS ago, you know, when he ran after a bleeding and dying Julian and allowed him to fall to his death.  

that's exactly what it is. Several times since Sonny's been back, Carly's made a pointof saying 'I love it when you are in business mode." "I find it a turn on when he's like that'. Emphasizing that's what she loves. The power, the danger etc etc (aka the typical mob moll).  Ever since he's come back. he's quieter etc, he's not raging around, wanting to kill people (cept Nikolas), and it's throwing her off.

Plus you know "Well i was gonna screw Jason after 20 years, and we LOVE EACH OTHER, but he's gone now" so she can't have Jason to have her count to ten.  

9 minutes ago, rur said:

We watched NINE months of Phyllis pushing Nina at Smike while knowing he was married. Will we ever see her accepting any responsibility or voicing any guilt (to someone, anyone) for that?

of course not. She's a Corinthii by Proxy nothing can be her fault. Notice. that she too is not mentioning (and defending) her friend that, Mike never made an effort to know about his past? that's vital-key information and everyone is all husha husha about it. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

ha ha! Phyllis runs meditation bars - nice and quiet with no one to bother you.

• LOL 4

If nothing else, I expected Phyllis to ask Carly if she'd discussed all of this with Sonny, because Carly hasn't really done anything except rail about how Nina was OMG TEH EVUL for keeping Sonny away from her. Carly has never asked Sonny outright if he searched for his family or tried to figure out who he was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

If nothing else, I expected Phyllis to ask Carly if she'd discussed all of this with Sonny, because Carly hasn't really done anything except rail about how Nina was OMG TEH EVUL for keeping Sonny away from her. Carly has never asked Sonny outright if he searched for his family or tried to figure out who he was.

I think she doesn't want to know, that's why she hasn't talked to Sonny about it. She seems very uninterested in hearing any of his NF experiences or feelings.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Willow, exactly what price is everyone paying?

<snark> Having to listen to Carly and Michael go on and on and on about how evil Nina is and how much she deserves to be in prison for her (non) crimes. Unlike Shawn, who was in prison for something he didn't do and not for all the many, many criminal things he DID do. </snark>

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I think she doesn't want to know, that's why she hasn't talked to Sonny about it. She seems very uninterested in hearing any of his NF experiences or feelings.

I agree, which makes it that much more aggravating. But typical Carly to not want to hear what she doesn't want to hear. That way it's someone else's fault.

I know it's too much ask that the next time Carly goes off on Nina, Nina unloads everything.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

of course she doesn't want to know. it's easier to blame nina. because if she starts asking questions. she might not like the answers

1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

I know it's too much ask that the next time Carly goes off on Nina, Nina unloads everything.

the dream. pls make it tomorrow. 

• Love 8

It makes sense to Gladys that she thinks Brook Lynn locked them in because Gladys is not exactly a far thinker, but why would BL endanger Sasha, who is not only the face of Deception but a partner.

2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Carly's logic makes no sense to me.  "Ive known Sonny for decades, but now I don't know who he was for the past 9 months....."  You also didn't know him from birth to age 30 and yet manage to survive just fine.  What the hell.  Methinks Carly's just pissed because her precious Sonny isn't the blood thirsty jerkoff that he was NINE MONTHS ago, you know, when he ran after a bleeding and dying Julian and allowed him to fall to his death.  

Carly not only hoards children, she hoards her men. She told Brenda back in the day that she owned Sonny, Jason and Jax.

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Ever since he's come back. he's quieter etc, he's not raging around, wanting to kill people (cept Nikolas), and it's throwing her off.

He's not her Sonny any more.  He's even countermanding her vengeance against Nina. Every time she tells someone that Sonny wants her to let it go, it's like she's sucking o a lemon.

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Carly has never asked Sonny outright if he searched for his family or tried to figure out who he was.

It would not occur to Carly that Sonny wouldn't move heaven and earth to get back to her. And to be fair, if you listen to Sonny, he did and it's all Nina's fault and none of his own.

• Love 2

Unintentionally funny moment of the day: During the search for Leo, Spencer mentions a nearby ice cream stand as a possible place to look. 

Trina ( super serious) Kids love ice cream, let's go. 

I don't know why they needed to include that, but it seriously cracked me up. 

I can't believe Carly tried badmouthing Nina to Phyllis. 

And if Esme is the reason Gladys spills the Bailey paternity secret... Well, that would be a genuinely good soap twist. One schemer inadvertently blowing up somebody else's plot. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

He's not her Sonny any more.  He's even countermanding her vengeance against Nina. Every time she tells someone that Sonny wants her to let it go, it's like she's sucking o a lemon.

and the thing is. I'm supposed to feel sorry for Carly. (and Michael et al here) and I always said like. Carly has a right to be mad. But this show loves to leave itself wide open for the clapbacks. 

Nina's first reaction when she saw Sonny was to call Carly. Carly's first reaction was to rip her head off because someone mentioned that Nina could sue for custody of Wiley. (I wanna say Ava). But Nina never mentioned it. I don't think it even crossed her mind. but Carly is acting like a shrew wanting to tear Nina's head off over speculation, and even then Nina's like. "shut up and listen." Carly said no. and continued threatening Nina. 

Where is that flashback? Where is the thought from Carly that due to Carly's attack first nature, it cost her six months

Nina admits that yeah a part of it deep down was probably because of Nelle. Carly doesn't even stop and think (In a down moment). I brought this on myself sort of, I was willing to keep that secret forever, and I never thought how it would impact Nina not knowing. No. she doubles down and goes screw you and screw your kid. 

and even take the NINA aspect out of it. She did this to Nikolas (nothing). She's done it to AJ. (nothing). and not even a this is what it must have felt for AJ/Monica/Alan when i did this with Michael
Nothin.  yet still i'm supposed to feel sorry for Carly. who is  walking around pouty lipped going "I don't know who my mobster murdering husband is anymore." and being a total cow to someone who quite frankly does have the right to be a total cow back to her. 

• Love 17

Carly can't let something go?  1997 called and said "hey, you still around?"  And I see by the previews she's going to first light into Willow and then Nina for daring to *gasp* let Wiley see his grandmother.  Because as much as Carly wants to keep Wiley all to herself, Nina's his grandmother, too--and clearly Wiley WANTS to hang with Nina.  Honestly, I hope Nina tortures Carly with 'what happened in Nixon Falls' just to drive that bully crazy..

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Why is Wylie in daycare at the hospital when he has two parents and a nanny?

That was so weird. Just have Willow go out with the nanny in tow. Or have Willow take Wiley out with BLQ2 and one of her 10 nannies if they need a rando to watch Wiley offscreen for a scene. 

• Love 4

Olivia is the worst parent, she's spent all this time hating everything Ned and Austin said instead of looking into things and getting Leo diagnosed. 

She is lucky Ned was doing what she would not because she was too biased and bigot to her son being different.

• Love 5

The boy playing Wiley looks scared out of his mind. It’s funny how some kids at his age (not many…because he looks really young) can act and others are moved around by the adult actors. I can’t imagine he had much to say about doing this. I blame the parents. I remember one of the Joss’s before she was aged was terrified looking and just death stared everyone before she was replaced. LOL!!! It takes a special child with talent to act at 3, 4 or 5 years old. Also, LC is an awful actress when she has to become hysterical which is most of the time. When she’s calm and just acting with TR and WK she’s much better. 

• Love 3

Today's Notes:

Carly is legit calling the police... for Nina spending time with her grandson. Every time these people start getting on her, is  more I really want Nina to sue for custody. 

Holy crap. Carly goes "did Nina follow you here?" and WILLOW GOES "Well that didn't occur to me." Nina is disgusted (as am I). Then it's pointed out that Wiley was happy to see his gramma and Carly goes basically who cares. next time you see him walk away. (that's right. when her grandson goes "HI NANA" just ignore him that will do wonders). Willow basically says that's not your choice to make and bitch face is activated. (haha on both sides lol)

Again. Carly Nina didn't say Willow wasn't his mommy. She said she was his other mommy's mommy. 

now Carly threatens Nina in front of Sonny and instead of Sonny actually doing the right thing, he chickens out. (again)

Everytime this cow opens her mouth, i legit want Monica to fly in and rage at her. Or someone. she needs some truth clapping in the highest order. 

BLQ quasi tells Valentine the truth. (she's still protecting Maxie which is kind of sweet). Valentine kinda broke my heart when he said BLQ wouldn't have done that for some damned stock though

Valentine's heart is broken and now he is getting maaaaad. (BLQ is breaking my heart too., this is really sweet)

YOU SHOT THE WRONG PERSON JASON.  FOR. GOD. SAKES.

Maxie is clapping Austin with some hard truths. finally. that's all i've been saying. (and he said in hindsight he was wrong so. i can start to like him now). 

• Love 6

So those Valentin/BLQ scenes were really good. The scenes between Maxie and Austin were good.

I have nothing but apathy for the Sasha/Brando baby sl. And please don't name your kid whatever name that was that I scrubbed from my memory right away. Just name it Mug and be done with it.

Also, show, Mike was not some saint. Thanks.

I thought the Greece sl felt out of place in this episode. 

And of course, Carly screeching at anyone who happens to be standing across from her. At least Willow showed some backbone. But way to lay on thick with the guilt, Cujo. No one will explain to me why I'm supposed to root for Carly.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 10
18 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

At least Willow showed some backbone.

barely. like when Carly snapped "did you even call Michael." Willow's response should have been, "For what? to see if I should yank Wiley away from his grandmother?" That clap back came so fast that it should be crystal clear that Carly doesn't "see" Willow as Wiley's mother anymore than Nelle. that's Michael's kid and WIllow is basically the nanny so if she steps out of line Carly can do whatever she wants to Willow

(of which i don't care because i don't like Willow)

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

barely. like when Carly snapped "did you even call Michael." Willow's response should have been, "For what? to see if I should yank Wiley away from his grandmother?" That clap back came so fast that it should be crystal clear that Carly doesn't "see" Willow as Wiley's mother anymore than Nelle. that's Michael's kid and WIllow is basically the nanny so if she steps out of line Carly can do whatever she wants to Willow.

Of course Carly doesn't see Willow as Wiley's mother. Carly sees Willow as someone she can push over and bully.

• Love 5