Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Well, we know where Michael got his wienie tendencies: from Sonny, who obviously was thinking that he is as much to blame for not returning to Port Charles sooner as Nina is, but of course Sonny doesn't have the guts to admit it.

Why hasn't Gladys been fired from Deception? She obviously is a terrible employee. I really like the actor, but Gladys is so grating and obnoxious.

I'm enjoying watching the scales fall from Willow's eyes as she finally realizes Michael isn't Mr. Perfectly Perfect. She has no idea who he is.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm enjoying watching the scales fall from Willow's eyes as she finally realizes Michael isn't Mr. Perfectly Perfect. She has no idea who he is.

It's so funny, I was anguishing over them ruining Chase so they could prop Michael during the triangle, but Chase escaped without a scratch, and their letting Michael be an a-hole all on his own. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny, who obviously was thinking that he is as much to blame for not returning to Port Charles sooner as Nina is, but of course Sonny doesn't have the guts to admit it.

LOL yeah. it was very small the fart acting there. I hope @Cheyanne11 is right and it actually does come out and has a ripple effect

7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

He asked Chase to find out the truth.  He didn't create the situation that led to Chase's grief, he didn't lie to Chase. If Edward regretted cutting Jimmy Lee out of his will and wanted to change it to include him, that information should come tolight.

no he didn't create the situation but he (Like BLQ) used said situation to his advantage. the whole thing was basically. "hey why go and get upset with them, where you can really make them pay by ....."  I've never been against Austin trying to figure out the truth. I just don't think he was all right in how he did it and being all indignant now that everyone wasn't all. "Oh, okay!!!" because he was suing them rubs me the wrong way. maybe that's not how it's supposed to be played - but that's how it comes off across (as well as the paper work never stated "and I am gonna put JL into my will and give him oodles of stocks. that's an assumption) - like i said he could have been suing for a Jar of Pickles. but it's as Joey would say is a moo point. i think at the end of the day Austin is going to end up with some anyway, i think they really just wanted to have some BLQ v Austin with BLQ2-Maxie in the middle drama

10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

LOL that AJ's alcoholism made him an inferior creature who didn't deserve to have a relationship with his son but Sonny's BPAD gets him all sorts of free passes.

Right? people sure love to hand wave crap sonny does because of his bipolar, but AJ's alcoholism pssff. still is being used as reasons why Carly was allowed to crap all over the guy

• Love 1

"Kelly's believes in giving offenders second chances." Hee. Good for Cam for making Spencer grovel for the job at Kelly's.

Aiden is the best. And I love Chase's genuine enthusiasm for Aiden's 7-layer bars.

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I wish that Brook Lynn would tell Gladys "Publish and be damned."  The only thing I like about this is how OTT Gladys is in her blackmail.

I know. Show some moral fiber, people. The truth always comes out anyway, might as well be in control of when and how. That said, I enjoyed the hilariously dramatic music sting when Gladys played the recording.

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

he didn't create the situation but he (Like BLQ) used said situation to his advantage. the whole thing was basically. "hey why go and get upset with them, where you can really make them pay by ....." 

Austin always told Chase it was up to him if he wanted to snoop around Edward's study. Brook Lynn forced Austin to choose between his career and his possible ELQ shares. The situations are not comparable, IMO.

"We need you before Chase blows us all up! He's got a match!" Hee again.

• Love 5

If Michael thinks that Nina's case is the "high profile" case that will win the Pennsylvania AG's election he is dumber than I thought. Michael follow this text flowchart - did someone die? did someone embezzle money? did someone blackmail someone (REAL blackmail, that is)? did someone steal something valuable? If none of these happened, then the chances that this is a high profile case that everyone in Pennsylvania will care about are very low. 

One possibility that could help it become high profile (and you won't like this, Michael) is if they really emphasize Sonny's criminal enterprises and talk about how this woman managed to hoodwink the hood. :-)

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I hope Michael familiarizes himself with "bribery" and "extortion" because those can be actual crimes (which he has participated in) as opposed to "identity fraud" which doesn't meet any actual definition of a crime except in Soap Opera-ville.

Exactly, and all Sonny has to do to end this is meet with that DA and tell him he's going to plaster this all over the PA newspapers unless he drops the the case.  This is such an easy out for Sonny, but they'll drag this on. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, statsgirl said:

On a slight plus side, I think MB's expression in the courtroom was slightly confused and upset when Carly and Michael were sneering as if he was thinking "These are the people I'm related to?".

Omg the smug, superior faces were driving me insane!  Carly, looking so proud that her son is bribing an elected official, and Michael, well I don’t think there is anyone with a face more punchable.  Sonny did look kind of disgusted with them, so that’s something.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

It is interesting that Michael made the bribe through ELQ, because that could get good if this gets press and Ned gets involved, but i don't know if the show is willing to go there with Michael.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The show really insists on contrasting Michael and Chase, don't they?

Is it me or is the Violet actress still as big as she was when she first joined the show and it also feels like she's been missing her two front teeth for a really long time.

Shut up, Willow! And shut up, Sasha with the whole Michael is just being a Q and a Corinthos all at once as if it justifies being a complete doucheturd. I could have done without the Willow/Sasha scenes. Girls, in the words of the eternal Maya Angelou, when someone shows you who they are, believe them. 

And can it with the outrage, Michael. CD's acting choices are terrible. 

So Gladys is going to blackmail BLQ over Valentin not being the father so that she can run a bill and Wyndham's? Also, saying that Carly is not as bad as Gladys? Yeah, she is and trash knows trash. Just put Gladys back in Carly's orbit so that she can just read her for filth. She was good at it, so put her to good use.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I could have done without the Willow/Sasha scenes.

I didn't like most of the substance of the scenes, but I like seeing women being supportive of one another. And I thought Sasha pointing out that being able to argue is the sign of a strong relationship was decent, in that you feel secure enough in the relationship that you can disagree with your partner. Willow and Michael have no conflict, so they are beyond boring. At least this gives them a bit of conflict, as stupid as it is.

I just wish it wasn't all about Michael, whose attempts to be some sort of mover and shaker is always, always laughable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

If Michael thinks that Nina's case is the "high profile" case that will win the Pennsylvania AG's election he is dumber than I thought. Michael follow this text flowchart - did someone die? did someone embezzle money? did someone blackmail someone (REAL blackmail, that is)? did someone steal something valuable? If none of these happened, then the chances that this is a high profile case that everyone in Pennsylvania will care about are very low. 

One possibility that could help it become high profile (and you won't like this, Michael) is if they really emphasize Sonny's criminal enterprises and talk about how this woman managed to hoodwink the hood. :-)

And, as a result, the "hood" was able to live a crime-free life for NINE MONTHS!!!!

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

LOL that AJ's alcoholism made him an inferior creature who didn't deserve to have a relationship with his son but Sonny's BPAD gets him all sorts of free passes.

The show should start treading more lightly with this one. The view about addicts are starting to change and some drugs have either been decriminalized or able to be sold for recreational use. The recent Billie Holiday movie was based on part of a book that gives a negative look on the drug war and different ways of gov'ts to deal with addiction. Reading the book, there is little to wonder why AJ continually lapsed into addiction when he was back in Port Charles, and it was incredibly cruel that Carly would make plans to drive AJ to go back into drunkness. Now there is a degree of personal responsibility when it comes to drug and alcohol use, but addicts often need a huge amount of support and positivity to beat back the condition. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 7
46 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I didn't like most of the substance of the scenes, but I like seeing women being supportive of one another.

Sure. Women being supportive of each other is always a great sight. I think we all had to suffer through watching women being catty to women (or Carly being catty to other women), but the convo being about Michael is most certainly not my cup of tea.

I wish Willow wasn't having the talk with someone who finds it hard to find any flaws in flawless Michael.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Is it me or is the Violet actress still as big as she was when she first joined the show and it also feels like she's been missing her two front teeth for

No me too, I said out loud "wow she is so little", Where was Finn living before and why did he move? Why are there weird propellers on the wall?

53 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Also, saying that Carly is not as bad as Gladys? Yeah, she is and trash knows trash. Just put Gladys back in Carly's orbit so that she can just read her for filth. She was good at it, so put her to good us

Carly would be no treat as a MIL either, the only saving grace is she has an *alleged* small child of her own to be concerned about so she shouldn't be over a hovering around Wiley every second.

• Love 4

I'm not feeling Austin's manbun.  Or him being indignant (but I started why here).  Also shut up.  You tried to weaponize Chase's grief to get ahead.  So just...shut up.

Well said @Daisy.  Not that I'm ever siding against an Amanda Setton character, especially when her hair is on point.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I get that that DA is power-hungry, but how does he think this "identity fraud" (tm Michael the Milquetoast) is winnable?   Because no matter how many times Michael and his shrew mother smugly claim Nina broke the law...she didn't.  

Speaking of, I don't think Carly has ever looked prouder of her oldest than when she saw he had bribed the DA.  Chip off the old block.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I get that that DA is power-hungry, but how does he think this "identity fraud" (tm Michael the Milquetoast) is winnable?   Because no matter how many times Michael and his shrew mother smugly claim Nina broke the law...she didn't.  

Speaking of, I don't think Carly has ever looked prouder of her oldest than when she saw he had bribed the DA.  Chip off the old block.

Good thing for Michael that it was only Carly and Sonny who overheard him actually mention the money he'll be donating to the DAs campaign in return for having Nina arrested. If anyone else overheard that, they might get the impression that Michael was bribing the DA, and that might lead to an investigation into Michael's business. Instead, mob-mama got to see how her son has advanced to political corruption. Yay?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

If anyone else overheard that, they might get the impression that Michael was bribing the DA, and that might lead to an investigation into Michael's business.

They made a point of having Sonny bring that up, and Michael said he ran the campaign donation past his lawyers to make sure everything was legal.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Brook Lyn, you can rationalize all you want, but in your heart you know that Chase is right and you only used the lame HIPPA violation to manipulate Austin, not because you actually care about medical ethics. (I doubt most of the characters would know ethical behavior if it bit them in the behind)

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

They made a point of having Sonny bring that up, and Michael said he ran the campaign donation past his lawyers to make sure everything was legal.

"Nina is the one who's wrong here, not me" - Michael seems so sure that this is a binary situation and it isn't.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I like Brook Lynn but her lip thing annoys me. It’s a horrible acting tick that someone should have told her to knock it off. LOL!!!

Gladys is so grating and annoying. I guess I understand the plot device for Brandon & Sasha but she annoys me to end. Also, I think she would actually kill her own grandchild to get ahead. There isn’t anything redeeming about the character. I don’t even think she likes Brandon. Odd character. IMO!!!!

I like Finn’s apartment. I just didn’t know he was into airplanes. It’s either that or he’s just into propellers. It’s very Pottery Barn for Men. LOL!!!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I like Finn’s apartment. I just didn’t know he was into airplanes. It’s either that or he’s just into propellers. It’s very Pottery Barn for Men. LOL!!!!!

It's like Willow's gatehouse, only hers is full of windmill blades.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

He shouldn’t have even been able to get an indictment. The fact that he did means  this county in PA is in an alternate universe where simply not telling someone their name (not even lying about it) is criminal. 

I won’t hold my breath but Liz talking about her dad so much makes me think they may finally deal with his abandonment in some way. But probably won’t happen since she’s only on once a month. 

• Love 3

Michael whining how Nina broke the law to 2 mobsters who broke how many is rich.

Spencer as a waiter? Hahahaha. Surprised though he gave in so fast to sink below him. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

The show should start treading more lightly with this one. The view about addicts are starting to change and some drugs have either been decriminalized or able to be sold for recreational use.

That's going to be hard since the show has justified the criminal behaviour of Sonny and Carly, the show's "heroes", by AJ being an alcoholic and therefore toxic to Michael as a father.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The donation itself may be legal. But as soon as the DA arrested the grandmother of Michael's son, a good reporter could connect the donation to the arrest so close afterwards and run with it.

• Love 7
On 10/25/2021 at 3:04 PM, Daisy said:

yeah that's true. 

It could have been done as a lawsuit.  If a plaintiff’s attorney could establish causality, it would probably be easy to establish a fairly high number on damages.  But GH writers appear to be largely ignorant and uninterested in basing courtroom storylines in anything approaching reality.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

Man, the smirk cannot be wiped off Carly's face soon enough. Sadly, this plan is Michaels so it won't backfire nearly enough. 

The truth about Sonny's total disinterest in finding his real identity, and his 'relationship' with Nina should come out. Nina should be exonerated and Carly should be devastated 

The big bad mobster should become a laughingstock. The kingpin happy to live life as a busboy. His fellow mobsters should start sending gifts of flannel shirts to the house. 

Michaels actions should be blamed for Sonny losing the respect of his associates. And Willow should start to question who Michael is. But Michael can never be wrong, so none of that will happen. 

If I wrote this show, Michael would be portrayed as the depressing spoiled dolt that he is. To the point of dark comedy.  He would be buffoonish,y failing left and right while the Q’s and the Corinthi delusional praised him, and…….  oh wait, that’s what happens now.  Except he’s treated seriously.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:00 PM, Daisy said:

actually. this cracks me up. She refused to have a relationship with him until he found out who he was and even then, Mike is like, No i'm good i don't wanna. So even while Nina was becoming Mike's life and his world and whatever - he still didn't care about anyone but himself to do the one thing Nina asked him to do so they could be together. as Mike and Nina. 

How anyone finds this man romantic or anything blows my mind. 

It must be the dimples.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Artsda said:

Spencer as a waiter

Called it!  I did love Cam's "we here at Kelly's believe in giving second chances" line.  WL delivered it with just the right amount of delight at the situation.

If Michael loses Willow because of this stupid storyline, it might decrease my rage a millimeter--but I'm doubtful that will happen because the show gives themselves a hernia making sure no Corinthii are ever the loser.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

a good reporter

Too bad Girl Reporter is in a coma and Jackie Templeton is AWOL. Oh—you're serious? 

2 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

If Michael loses Willow because of this stupid storyline, it might decrease my rage a millimeter--but I'm doubtful that will happen because the show gives themselves a hernia making sure no Corinthii are ever the loser.

It will be Willow's fault for not realizing that Michael always has the best interests of the family in mind, and how dare she question that. Michael will still come out the winner.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It will be Willow's fault for not realizing that Michael always has the best interests of the family in mind, and how dare she question that. Michael will still come out the winner.

I can already picture the scene where Carly marches over to the gatehouse and gives Willow a stern talking-to about how "Michael would do anything--ANYTHING--for his family, and you need to see that that's exactly what he did."  

Also, someone mentioned yesterday (or Monday) about how LW plays Carly with zero nuance and I couldn't agree more.  Every scene is played like a bully.

• Love 16

I like the acting choices Mo and LW had in the courthouse hallway. Felt very familiar as a parent -- trying to act supportive of your offspring while not entirely convinced it was the smartest choice.

And, more importantly, the "WTF is your deal?" vibes between Sonny and Carly -- highlighting that they don't get why the other is reacting to this arrest and Michael's role in it the same way, but trying not to show it in front of the "kid."

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Also, someone mentioned yesterday (or Monday) about how LW plays Carly with zero nuance and I couldn't agree more.  Every scene is played like a bully.

I’ve long thought they can she only believably play smug or a bully and that they write to her strengths which is why Carly is the way she is. Even her Cassie on GL was a smug, unlikeable heroine and it wasn’t due to how she was written. I would root for the villains over her character 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I’ve long thought they can she only believably play smug or a bully and that they write to her strengths which is why Carly is the way she is. Even her Cassie on GL was a smug, unlikeable heroine and it wasn’t due to how she was written. I would root for the villains over her character 

Oh really, I didn't know this.  I never saw her in anything else.  This explains a lot.

• Love 2

Today's notes:

Nina learn how to make coffee at home or something. 

Joss. shut up. 

Willow and Michael. So basically again Willow was upset because she couldn't agree with Michael. whatever. Also. NINA DID NOT COMMIT ANY CRIME. also if Nina has to be held responsible for her crimes, please for the love of god, Jason, Carly and Sonny too.

Guy in the hat - creepy, Portia get a clue

Joss shut up.  SHUT UP. Like... yeah Spencer should be clapped on the head when he pouts esp that he's not seeing his acts, but for God sakes, be a friend. Cam ribbed him but didn't rub it in. You were just freaking gleeful about it. Does Joss even have a job?

Ava... teee. heee. heee. Rub it in, rub it in. 

Frosted hair Molly - not feeling it

And this is why  - even though I'm not a big Nina fan- what she's saying you'd never hear come out of the Corinthii - is making me team Nina in all of this.

oh for god sakes. Michael proposed. 

i forsee a carly temper tantrum tomorrow.

• Love 8

I hate passive-aggressiveness like Willow's: "Oh, anything I do isn't as important as what you do, you big important man" (paraphrased). Good grief. And news flash: You don't have to blindly agree with the family on everything. Have the courage of your own convictions. And do a bit of research on fraud and identity theft while you're at it.

52 minutes ago, Daisy said:

SHAWN WAS LOCKED UP FOR COVERING FOR SONNY. THE END. 

Why does the show keep insisting Shawn is some victim of a racist judicial system? Neither Sonny nor Jason put any pressure on him to plead guilty. It was all Shawn's dumbass idea of loyalty or whatever. GAH.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I hate passive-aggressiveness like Willow's: "Oh, anything I do isn't as important as what you do, you big important man" (paraphrased). Good grief. And news flash: You don't have to blindly agree with the family on everything. Have the courage of your own convictions. And do a bit of research on fraud and identity theft while you're at it.

Why does the show keep insisting Shawn is some victim of a racist judicial system? Neither Sonny nor Jason put any pressure on him to plead guilty. It was all Shawn's dumbass idea of loyalty or whatever. GAH.

Which, in a sense, makes her a poor, untypical Q woman, because even by marriage, birth or adoption, they are rarely the type to "go along to get along." 

• Useful 1

The salient point, Alexis, is that Shaun showed up there to murder Drew. Anyone in any way connected with the Corinthos group gets absolved any  kind of criminality. Shaun pleaded guilty to protect Sonny, not because of Nik.

Although kudos to MC, who looked very much like Spencer trying to show that he didn't do anything wrong. Tree, apple.

I know enough about study techniques to know that studying in a coffee shop is not the best place to actually learn stuff.

When Joss started mouthing off to Nina again, I wanted her to say "All right Joss, I heard you the first times" and then I wanted Jax to do some parenting and tell Joss to shut up.

Did Joss ever have a job?  Any job at all? Joss telling Spencer to get over himself? 🤣🤣🤣

Carly takes the Kit Kats from Avery's Hallowe'en stash? Yeah, she's totally someone who would take candy from a baby. Much more her style than using her wealth to buy her own.

Why is Carly praising Sonny for being a genius businessman because Ava was so efficient over the sale?

Also, has it occurred to anyone that Phyllis is a nurse? Lenny was the barkeep. Why not hire her at GH instead of buying her a (gastro)pub?

So Michael proposes because he screwed up and wants to be in Willow's good graces? Nice manipulation there, Corinthos.

12 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Nina learn how to make coffee at home or something.

How does Crimson not have a coffee maker? Don't they serve coffee to people who come in for meetings?  When I had just a room, I still had a coffee maker.

At least pick up a coffee from the Starbucks around the corner.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Which, in a sense, makes her a poor, untypical Q woman, because even by marriage, birth or adoption, they are rarely the type to "go along to get along." 

But she isn't a Quartermaine; she's a fucking Corinthos. That's the name the SLS goes by; he went back to it after changing it to Quartermaine when we had the brief minute of him learning how Mooby became his daddeeee when Sean Kanan returned in 2012? 2013?

So she's a typical Corinthos wife.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
Just now, statsgirl said:

When Joss started mouthing off to Nina again, I wanted her to say "All right Joss, I heard you the first times" and then I wanted Jax to do some parenting and tell Joss to shut up.

And really, to slag Nina for making bail when Sonny and Jason do that ALL THE TIME? Shut up, Joss. Nina has every right to be anyone she wants, though I do think she's an idiot to go to the MetroCourt. Why poke the bear in its own den?

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

And really, to slag Nina for making bail when Sonny and Jason do that ALL THE TIME? Shut up, Joss. Nina has every right to be anyone she wants, though I do think she's an idiot to go to the MetroCourt. Why poke the bear in its own den?

well she did say she was going to work. but really just like. i dunno work at home for a while. but then also to be fair. had Nina gone to kelly's first, and Joss was going there to study (ahuh), Joss would have still thrown a tantrum about getting coffee at Kelly so Nina can't win either way

to which i stand to my first point
just start making coffee at home.

• Love 2

I'm starting to think Nina's problem is that she is honestly acknowledging what she did and not making excuses for her actions, other than telling Carly once that she reacted because of Carly's phone call.

And the Corinthos crew (and Joss) just don't know how to handle that.

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Ava... teee. heee. heee. Rub it in, rub it in. 

That is a bear that should be poked everywhere, all the time. I had to laugh they had Carly immediately go to custody. Is someone feeling threatened?

"Knowing how hard we fought to be together..." I'm sorry, Willow, what? You and Michael were handed each other on a platter, first by the idiotic MoC and then by lying to Chase who decided to gracefully bow out. That's hardly fighting hard. The writing for these two is so bad. Any "drama" is laughably manufactured.

1 minute ago, Pingaponga said:

And the Corinthos crew (and Joss) just don't know how to handle that.

It's fun to see them sputter and not know what to do when Nina agrees with them that she was wrong. It's hard to rail on someone who isn't fighting back. Ha!

• Love 12