Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: What is our goal with this dialogue?

We aim to foster a kinder, more inclusive community. Suggesting extreme actions, even against fictional characters, detracts from this objective. Please focus on constructive and respectful discussions. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, wake me if Jason ever DOESN'T react like that. That has been his M.O. for a quarter of a century now...

For all of Steve Burton's talk about not wanting to play boring, goody goody Jason Q, he has been doing the same storylines for the last two decades. I get it: he want screen time and screen time of = job security, or it gives a better chance at it, but even Tony Geary wanted a challenge ever once in a while.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Also, can it please be a new day so my girl can change out of that turtleneck, thanks.

I'm with you there. I didn't mind it the first day, but it's been like a week. Not in show time, but in our time which as far as I'm concerned is the only thing that matters. It also doesn't make sense while everyone else is wearing varying degrees of clothing according to the temperature.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2021 at 12:20 AM, ByaNose said:

The think the writers are keeping Peter on with more storyline to fu@k with Tristin Rogers. There is no other explanation. Wes Ramsey is like the Eveready Bunny. He goes on and on and on. I just can’t believe how many lives he has. Now, he has a machine gun and shoots scruff  with abs Drew. Peter not even in Maxie’s orbit right now so you know he’s going to be on a few more moths. It’s simply insane. 

I'm a long time watcher but I only watch when Laura, Anna and Robert are on so I don't know what's going on but that's okay.  Is Wes Ramsey any relation to Bert Ramsey? That would be so tie it all together awesome.

13 hours ago, seasons said:

The scenes with Anna, Robert and Mr Sheffield talking together!

They could read the dictionary and it would be awesome.

You and I think alike!  So Mr. Sheffield shtupped Helena? I can't.  I just can't forget that ultra horrid storyline Woman in White when the necrotic Helena (and I loved her) produced a 20 daughter outta nowhere.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, TessHarding2 said:

I'm a long time watcher but I only watch when Laura, Anna and Robert are on so I don't know what's going on but that's okay.  Is Wes Ramsey any relation to Bert Ramsey? That would be so tie it all together awesome.

No, Wes Ramsey is the name of the actor playing (apparently useless? Have not watched in forever, myself!) Peter, and whom Tristan Rogers sort of ragged on a few months back. Ramsey is also real-life boyfriend of Laura Wright (Carly).

8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

If Drew is faking why not just put a bullet in Peter's head?! NOW! Why do they need to go on a road trip first?!

It’s plausible that Drew wants to make sure Liesl gets to safety first, since Peter is a weasel who inexplicably always has the upper hand. 

• Useful 3
11 hours ago, nilyank said:

So is Nikolas in league with Victor and Peter? He was acting super sketchy when he called the bartender and said he heard about the trouble that is there.

There was an opening in the "scapegoat/written into a corner" spot since Julian died NINE months ago.  "The role of Julian Jerome, deadbeat dad, to blame for everything, is now being played by Nikolas Cassadine"  

10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

a compound that is supposedly surrounded by WSB agents. 

If all the agents are as bad as the one babysitting Sante, Peter and company could hang out with all of them and no one would realize he's the bad guy or what to do with him.  

11 hours ago, Artsda said:

So Valentine is an heir.

But he has no claim to Windemere or the Cassadine fortune.  That went through Mikkos's line to Nik then to Spencer and any other child Nik might have.  It's like the royals.  William's line is the one to the king's chair.  Harry has no claim to it , unless a bunch of people ahead of him die.  

But then again, apparently Austin has claim to the Q fortune because Edward doodled on a piece of paper that one time, so who knows.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

But he has no claim to Windemere or the Cassadine fortune.  That went through Mikkos's line to Nik then to Spencer and any other child Nik might have.  It's like the royals.  William's line is the one to the king's chair.  Harry has no claim to it , unless a bunch of people ahead of him die.  

But then again, apparently Austin has claim to the Q fortune because Edward doodled on a piece of paper that one time, so who knows.  

Money isn't the same thing as a title or throne.  Money is usually split up amongst airs.  Otherwise, I guess MIchael would have the entire Q fortune since Alan was the oldest, AJ is oldest and Michael his oldest.  Although, if everyone has to be legitimate, it's going to get messy with the Qs.  Alan was legit as was AJ, but Michael was not. Neither is Jason, so I guess Tracy would be next in line.  So, Ned has it all as of right now.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Artsda said:

Jason reaction to someone not being dead is funny. He doesn't bat an eye in shock.

To be fair, he spent half the episode explaining to Curtis the mundane process of legally coming back to life, since he's encountered it so many times, so suddenly learning that the dead twin brother he couldn't care less about wasn't actually dead, but now is probably totes dead again, is just a whole lot of nonsense he doesn't want to deal with. Had the prospect of getting back into Britt's pants been off the table, there's no way he'd be interested in going to Greece to figure this out. I do wonder if he's calling Monica in the preview, since she's the only person who actually cares about Drew. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Money is usually split up amongst airs. 

But was Mikkos an heir to the fortune or did it originate with him?  If Mikkos/Victor's dad was the "owner" so to speak, of the Cassadine fortune, than yes, it would be divided between Mikkos and Victor and their subsequent heirs.  But if Mikkos made the fortune than Victor gets no piece of the pie and neither does Valentin. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, absnow54 said:
17 hours ago, Artsda said:

To be fair, he spent half the episode explaining to Curtis the mundane process of legally coming back to life, since he's encountered it so many times,

I’ll admit that made me laugh pretty hard. They had rando guy staring down Curtis and then they cut to Jason explaining escrows to an unsuspecting Curtis.  Heh. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 5

For Valentin, it may also be knowing that he is part of the family more than the money itself since he seems to be able to acquire that on his own. I remember how upset he was when the (inexplicable) DNA test showed that he was not a Cassadine.

There may also be a minor title in there somewhere. The show doesn't appear to have a clue how the Princely titles are passed on even to illegitimate children so why shouldn't Valentin be a Count?

There was a rare moment of humour from Jason yesterday as he told Curtis that the only person happy about the undeath paperwork was Dianevwho was charging Sonny big bucks for it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

But was Mikkos an heir to the fortune or did it originate with him?  If Mikkos/Victor's dad was the "owner" so to speak, of the Cassadine fortune, than yes, it would be divided between Mikkos and Victor and their subsequent heirs.  But if Mikkos made the fortune than Victor gets no piece of the pie and neither does Valentin. 

I have no idea.  I was just pointing out that fortune and kingdoms are not equivalencies.

27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Money isn't the same thing as a title or throne.  Money is usually split up amongst airs.  Otherwise, I guess MIchael would have the entire Q fortune since Alan was the oldest, AJ is oldest and Michael his oldest.  Although, if everyone has to be legitimate, it's going to get messy with the Qs.  Alan was legit as was AJ, but Michael was not. Neither is Jason, so I guess Tracy would be next in line.  So, Ned has it all as of right now.

It depends, and hopefully someone more well versed in these things pipes in. The Cassadine's follow old traditions where the first born male heir inherits the title and fortune. There's no splitting up the Crown when the Queen dies. Prince Charles will inherit everything and support his siblings and their families as he sees fit. (Although the Queen has "gifted" plenty to her children and grandchildren in her lifetime for them to live comfortably.)

The Quartermaines are "new money" where it's more common that all children receive equal pieces of the pie. "Heirs" are more a symbolic term for who becomes the family patriarch. but that doesn't mean they are entitled to more money than a sibling. Unless you're Tracy, and get yourself disinherited. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I’ll admit that made me laugh pretty hard. They had rando guy staring down Curtis and then they cut to Jason explaining escrows to an unsuspecting Curtis. Heh. 

I was actually disappointed that they turned it into an actual scene afterwards with quips about Dianne making lots of money off it. I think it would have been funnier if we only heard that snippet of the conversation that Rando was overhearing so that we'd know that the legalities were being taken care of off screen, but also, that it's totally boring and not worth anyone's time. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I believe that the title of Cassadine Prince and control of the fortune goes is passed directly to the eldest son of the Prince.  So from Mikkos to Stavros to Nikolas (there was conflict over this between Stefan and Helena before Niklas became of age) and next to Spencer.

• Love 1

Let me preface this by saying this is Soapland so anything goes.

However. Since it tries to follow some traditions, with Valentin being born while Helena was married to Mikkos, technically, he is legally Mikkos' son. DNA, SchmeeNA.

But the show introduced us to Mikkos Cassadine, and Victor during the Ice Princess storyline, so I'm going with the money started with him. But then Show kept saying they came from royalty, so "TRADITION", money goes from Mikkos, to Stefan to Nikolas to URGH, Spencer, etc., etc.

JINX!  @drtslim!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The eldest male child gets all only if the estate is entailed, an old-fashioned way to ensure that there is enough money to keep the properties going. Otherwise the person making the will  can divide his estate any way he wishes. 

In terms of the Royal Family, the money-making estates owned by the Crown will go to Charles to deal with for his lifetime. The Queen's personal property, money and jewellery, can go to whoever she wishes to give it to.

The show makes up stuff as it goes along. But inheritance should not be the same to illegitimate children as it is to legitimate ones. In England, the appellate 'Fitz' was added to show an illegitimate son e.g. Fitzroy showing an illegitimate son of the king.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Regardless of how the Cassadine family dynamics play out, I’m sure they’ll use this as an excuse for Valentin to try to usurp Nikolas. No, he doesn’t have a legitimate claim to anything as Victor’s kid but otherwise, what’s the point of making him a Cassadine again unless they just did it because they didn’t want to change his name? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So, since they won't kill Peter because whatever, my new wild spec is that Peter will somehow be in cahoots with Ryan and Sezme to create a triumvirate of Eeeeeeeeevil.  /eyeroll

I'm here for Anna and Valentine.  And Britt, who is awesome in almost all her scenes.  Even Jason perks up and offers an iota of emotion when she's around.

Usually I love RFS, but of late he's been grating on me.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

No, he doesn’t have a legitimate claim to anything as Victor’s kid but otherwise, what’s the point of making him a Cassadine again unless they just did it because they didn’t want to change his name? 

If anything, it's to make Victor more relevant, since his only ties to the canvas are Nikolas and Liesl, and as a secondary villain to Robert and Anna.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

i read that as drooled and i laughed harder than i should have. 

It hit me why this bothers me. (beacuse obviously it's not written well). Why is Austin assuming that his father would have gotten ELQ shares? All that paper states is that Edward was considering putting him in the will. Alan was dead, and Tracy got a jar of relish so why assume that "Jimmy Lee's piece of the pie and the seat at the Q table." would have been anything more than a jar of relish. 

So clearly, what Austin is fighting for is his piece of the Quartermaine pie because the grandkids or however that stupid proviso Edward included that if you are a Q you get something, would include him. and he keeps saying "nuh nuh not me. this is just for dad." so if it's just for dad. seriously, give him a jar of relish (because legit that's what the children got), and move on from this story now. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

So clearly, what Austin is fighting for is his piece of the Quartermaine pie because the grandkids or however that stupid proviso Edward included that if you are a Q you get something, would include him. and he keeps saying "nuh nuh not me. this is just for dad." so if it's just for dad. seriously, give him a jar of relish (because legit that's what the children got), and move on from this story now. 

And it's weird to me that Ned and BLQ are so adamant that Austin deserves nothing, when they kept their inheritance, even after Tracy was cut out. Edward was hard on his children, but was always very generous to his grandchildren (except, maybe, for AJ.)

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

And it's weird to me that Ned and BLQ are so adamant that Austin deserves nothing, when they kept their inheritance, even after Tracy was cut out. Edward was hard on his children, but was always very generous to his grandchildren (except, maybe, for AJ.)

and i think deep down he was hard on AJ because he wanted AJ to take over and he thought that was the way to do it (not learning from Alan. i said ages before, it was really a nice sins of the father kind of thing - Edward preferred Alan and was hard on him, never acknowledging that Tracy had the brains for Business. Alan preferred Jason because he wanted to go into medicine (like him) not business - and Edward preferred Jason because he had Lila's colouring - not realizing that AJ (like Tracy) had the knack for business). 

I know a lot of people here are team Austin. I would have been more on his side but he came to town, and basically went "boom, i want what's mine." and then very Q'ily manipulated the situation - whilst going. YOU QUARTERMAINES (which is now my new pet peeve on this show), and holding himself above everyone else. I think i would have been way more sympathetic had he introduced himself, got to know the family, try to figure out what went wrong between him and his dad, realized (naturally) that Edward had intended to do it (but got sick like the day before or something), and then fight for Jimmy Lee and himself. because of right now. I'm supposed to root for a man who couldn't pick up the phone (coz pride) and call his father and go "so. what up dad? what gives?) , come to the funeral, let people know about his son, but then die and go "why didn't I get to be all Q'y." yeah no. doesn't fly w/me. 

• Love 2

Willow is such a peabrain if she thinks that Michael donating to a politician's campaign is genius business move.

No Michael, Donna isn't going to be upset about Grandpa Mike because she's too young to remember him. You two nitwits deserve each other. But he really  is Carly's son. They are despicable people. And he's lying to Willow now.

Nice swerve to let us know that Olivia's uncle may not have been neurotypical either. I thought that they were going to blame it all on Julian.

I get the feeling that Hatman is terminal, he's so adamant about family.

LOL at Carly "So you're taking Jason away from us." She doesn't share her men for any reason.

Was Curtis an addict? Then why is he drinking?

I agree with Finn that it's time he and Elizabeth stopped acting like high school students. But it's not even nine months (!) since her husband died.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Willow is such a peabrain if she thinks that Michael donating to a politician's campaign is genius business move.

no, Willow is just a peabrain. :D

1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

And he's lying to Willow now.

about what? i fell asleep.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

about what? i fell asleep.

Wise move. Willow convinced Michael not to pursue Nina in court and just let things work out. Then he did a quid pro quo with the guy he's donating the money to by telling him that Nina is getting away without being charged for a crime she committed. Edward would be proud.

But what crime did she commit? Is it illegal to not tell Sonny who he is when he's saying "I don't want to know"? Carly's children are as petty as she is.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Wise move. Willow convinced Michael not to pursue Nina in court and just let 5h8ngs work out. Then he did a quid pro quo with the guy he's donating the money to by telling him that Nina is getting away without being charged for a crime she committed. Edwardwould be proud.

But what crime did she commit? Is it illegal to not tell Sonny who he is when he's saying "I don't want to know"? Carly's children are as petty as she is.

thanks - 
I can't even with these people.  and like I said Nina is too good (even w/her screw ups) because i would be clapping this truth across the face of Joss, Michael and Carly every single chance i got.

and it just pisses me off that he's okay with the fact that Sonny and Carly were responsible with AJ's murder but Nina must pay because she kept quiet that Sonny was alive? kick rocks, show.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

No Michael, Donna isn't going to be upset about Grandpa Mike because she's too young to remember him.

I thought he said it was Avery that asked?  That would at least make more sense, Donna was just a baby when Mike died, she likely doesn’t even remember Sonny let alone Mike.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I get the feeling that Hatman is terminal, he's so adamant about family.

Deadbeats always return to the scene of the crime when they're terminal and looking for absolution from the families they've abandoned. 

That said, didn't we just finish with a storyline like that with Mike and Sonny? Do we have to go on this merry-go-round again? Like figure out a different storyline, you lazy mofos. I'd love to be paid what they get paid to be a hack. It's like the dream job. I can pretend to be a writer too.

Willow and Michael are still puke inducing. The way they slobber all over each other is still gross. Yes, he's smart, and yes, she's smart, blah blah blah. WE GET IT!

And Michael is now flexing his rich kid muscles with political donations as long as they serve his purpose. What is the AG going to prosecute Nina for? Is he going to prosecute her for being a liar in the great State of Pennsylvania? The only thing I can see coming back to bite her in the ass is her knowledge that Peter was in the state and not saying anything about it. 

When Drew comes back, does Michael get to keep working at Aurora as CEO or does he get downgraded to the mail room, or the coffee runner which the role he should have within any company anyway. I'd like a large unicorn latte with extra pillow foam, non fat, non soya, extra glitter, extra hot and get a hair cut while you're at it. 

Anyway, STFU, Michael and keep lying to your boring girlfriend. Great relationships are after all built on lies. Everyone knows that.

Carly will forever be a possessive bitch. I like how she gifted Jason to Britt and how she is hating that he is taking off with her for Greece. I was half-expecting that she would wanna tag along. But if she did, there'd be no one to sneer at Nina. 

• Love 10

I see that they’re going to use Nina as a way to give Millow “angst”. They’re so dull and flavorless that their scenes give me nothing. Since I can’t hope to be rid of them, can we just leave them to group scenes because someone needs to have a personality to carry them 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Willow convinced Michael not to pursue Nina in court and just let things work out. Then he did a quid pro quo with the guy he's donating the money to by telling him that Nina is getting away without being charged for a crime she committed. Edward would be proud.

OMG, LYING TO A PERSON IS NOT A CRIME!  If it were, Carly would've gotten the electric chair 20 years ago.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • LOL 10
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

OMG, LYING TO A PERSON IS NOT A CRIME!  If it were, Carly would've gotten the electric chair 20 years ago.

I’m not understanding this either!  Super shitty, yes.  Crime, no.  Those would be the things Sonny and Jason (and Carly) commit on the regular and never get punished for.  

56 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I also was confused by this for a very long time, but we see him drinking on many occasions so I guess his addiction didn’t involve alcohol.  Drugs I guess?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The lighting seemed extra bad today. Everyone looked muddy.

5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

They'll call it fraud with absolutely no understanding of the legal definition of the word.

Spare me Olivia's stubbornness about getting Leo properly diagnosed. Information is power, lady! I do like that Ned isn't pushing things.

What's the point of the Porsche? As far as I know, you can't drive to Greece. Though this is GH, where no one cares about geography.

OMG, Willow and Michael are dull. Just mind-numbingly boring.

Neka has amazing arms.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I also was confused by this for a very long time, but we see him drinking on many occasions so I guess his addiction didn’t involve alcohol.  Drugs I guess?

IIRC there was at least one or more conversations between Curtis and Jordan about him being a former addict. But the context seemed to be drugs and not alcohol.

The gentleman in the Pork Pie hat is SO Curtis's father. I suspected it a couple of days ago, but today's episode pretty much nailed it.

• Love 3

Now I want Britt to drive to Greece. It makes as much sense as Sam being involved in the investigation . I also want Carly to know about it and her head to explode.

I thought people in drug recovery had to avoid alcohol too. But this is TFGH.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Now I want Britt to drive to Greece. It makes as much sense as Sam being involved in the investigation . I also want Carly to know about it and her head to explode.

I thought people in drug recovery had to avoid alcohol too. But this is TFGH.

they do.  I know you're a greys fan like me (wave) but i don't know if you watched Private Practice. Amelia's relapse into Oxy started with her taking an accidental sip of champagne, and then simply having a beer, then getting drunk, and then.... full on drug orgies again.

from what i gather no addictive behaviour at all. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Curtis was addicted to cocaine. A lot of former addicts do stay away from all drugs and alcohol IRL but this show tends to play a little more fast and loose with it especially with all of the former drug addicts drinking. Though they did have Alexis mention her alcohol addiction last year to Portia so she would prescribe her a non-narcotic pain med so it might depend on who is writing it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

RE: Cassadine Title/Money

This was a big storyline for Nikolas and Stefan in the 90s. Here's what I remember of how it works. Get a snack, it's long.

The Cassadines were Russian nobility that fled to Greece during/after the Russian Revolution (apparently Mikkos' father and aunt hid in the back of a wagon to cross the Ural Mountains). Fun fact: "prince" in Tsarist Russia was not actually a royal title, but a noble one. It would be roughly equivalent to an English duke, I believe. So the Cassadines aren't actually royal, though they're probably related to royalty, given how inbred aristocracies are.

Anyway, the title (and wealth tied to the title, in the late 90s this was described as being in the billions) passed down from eldest son to eldest son. In the absence of an eldest son to inherit - and it should be pointed out that this means a legitimate eldest son - the title disappears and the estate can be divided among any who can claim Cassadine heritage, of which there are plenty. (Stefan embezzled several million dollars from the estate to put in secret accounts, so that Nikolas wouldn't be "poor" after it was revealed that he was actually Stefan's son, before that was retconned.)

So, according to these very specific rules, Valentin can't inherit the title or the estate entailed to it, neither can Spencer, as both are illegitimate. Mikkos' will is meaningless, he couldn't change how the succession worked on a whim. Unless and until Nikolas has a legitimate male heir*, the title ends with him. When Nikolas was "dead," a lot more Cassadines than Valentine should have crawled out of the woodwork to claim a piece of the pie. That could have been a story for Spencer - to have Alexis try to argue that as Nikolas' biological and legal son, he is Nikolas' heir, and that the notion of legitimacy as being conceived/born in wedlock is archaic (which it certainly is, but of course so are inherited titles. Let's not even get into the sexism of it all).

*Personally, my favorite story-that-never-happened included the return of Nikolas' first wife Lydia, and her secret son to claim the title and money away from Spencer.

ANYWAY. Recent storylines have muddled this beyond belief and it annoys me to a probably ridiculous degree. Entailments can be broken so that the bulk of wealth no longer follows the title, but that's a legal process and I don't remember any specific mention of it.

So...yeah.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Useful 9
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Then he did a quid pro quo with the guy he's donating the money to by telling him that Nina is getting away without being charged for a crime she committed. Edward would be proud.

Um, Michael, if you want Nina to be prosecuted for this "crime", why hasn't Sonny/Mike or anyone else reported it to the police? AFAIK, they have just been going around whining about it, but does Michael expect the police/DA/Atty General to use their psychic powers to be aware that Nina committed this "crime"? Which BTW isn't a crime at all. A lapse in judgement, I think, but as far as I can tell, Nina didn't take advantage of "Mike" in any way, financial or sexual, she didn't defraud him, didn't keep him from looking for his past, didn't restrain him from going anywhere. (I think she did discourage him from going to Port Charles, but Mike was hardly a pushover).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

What's the point of the Porsche? As far as I know, you can't drive to Greece.

Didn't you hear? The Port Charles worm hole just installed a new high -speed lane!!

• LOL 9

Carly: "I really wish I could've known Mike."

Me: You do.  He's exactly like Sonny except he wore flannel and that cowboy hat you keep shooting dirty looks at. 

Michael is such a whiny little baby. 

Carly's "I hear you're taking Jason away from us" to Britt was so passive-aggressive.  It's funny how it's barely ok for anyone other than her or Sonny to ask Jason for help...and by funny I mean predictable and territorial and dysfunctional. 

I really like Curtis and Nina's friendship.  It's impressive that the platonic chemistry held firm even when MS left and CW stepped in. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

RE: Cassadine Title/Money

This was a big storyline for Nikolas and Stefan in the 90s. Here's what I remember of how it works. Get a snack, it's long.

The Cassadines were Russian nobility that fled to Greece during/after the Russian Revolution (apparently Mikkos' father and aunt hid in the back of a wagon to cross the Ural Mountains). Fun fact: "prince" in Tsarist Russia was not actually a royal title, but a noble one. It would be roughly equivalent to an English duke, I believe. So the Cassadines aren't actually royal, though they're probably related to royalty, given how inbred aristocracies are.

Anyway, the title (and wealth tied to the title, in the late 90s this was described as being in the billions) passed down from eldest son to eldest son. In the absence of an eldest son to inherit - and it should be pointed out that this means a legitimate eldest son - the title disappears and the estate can be divided among any who can claim Cassadine heritage, of which there are plenty. (Stefan embezzled several million dollars from the estate to put in secret accounts, so that Nikolas wouldn't be "poor" after it was revealed that he was actually Stefan's son, before that was retconned.)

So, according to these very specific rules, Valentin can't inherit the title or the estate entailed to it, neither can Spencer, as both are illegitimate. Mikkos' will is meaningless, he couldn't change how the succession worked on a whim. Unless and until Nikolas has a legitimate male heir*, the title ends with him. When Nikolas was "dead," a lot more Cassadines than Valentine should have crawled out of the woodwork to claim a piece of the pie. That could have been a story for Spencer - to have Alexis try to argue that as Nikolas' biological and legal son, he is Nikolas' heir, and that the notion of legitimacy as being conceived/born in wedlock is archaic (which it certainly is, but of course so are inherited titles. Let's not even get into the sexism of it all).

*Personally, my favorite story-that-never-happened included the return of Nikolas' first wife Lydia, and her secret son to claim the title and money away from Spencer.

ANYWAY. Recent storylines have muddled this beyond belief and it annoys me to a probably ridiculous degree. Entailments can be broken so that the bulk of wealth no longer follows the title, but that's a legal process and I don't remember any specific mention of it.

So...yeah.

There was some double talk about why Nikolas was considered to be legitimate even though Laura was legally married to Luke when Stavros forced her to marry him. Bigamy anyone? Since Laura's marriage to Luke did not take place in the Greek or Russian Orthodox church, Stavros claimed that her marriage was not recognized so he could legally marry Laura. Which is ridiculous because even if Laura could be married in the Church despite previous marriages/divorce to Scott, they would still recognize that they could not marry someone who was legally wed to someone else.

What Victor can do to mess with Nikolas is dispute his legitimacy and go after the Cassidine title/money for himself because he would be next in line as all of Mikkos legitimate children died with out having any legitmate children.

Also Valentin was born to Helena when she was still married to Mikkos. Even though he wasn't biologically Valentin's father, he could be legally

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I really like Curtis and Nina's friendship.  It's impressive that the platonic chemistry held firm even when MS left and CW stepped in. 

I hope it stays that way. She seemed to be holding his hand a lot today. I have no interest in seeing him torn between two women.

• Love 2

Can someone please tell me what charges Michael thinks Nina will be brought up on? 

Can't wait for Nina's day in court when she points out "hey "Mike" once said if he had family they'd find him and made no effort to look for them, either."

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Spare me Olivia's stubbornness about getting Leo properly diagnosed. Information is power, lady! I do like that Ned isn't pushing things.

And her conflating the Q's wealth with getting a child diagnosed--I just...shut up, Olivia.

Just now, Gigi43 said:

Can someone please tell me what charges Michael thinks Nina will be brought up on? 

Being a big old meanie?

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

They'll invent something. After all, Nina has known ALL along that Sonny was alive. I mean she kept him from his family for NINE months. 

There's a CCTV somewhere that shows her standing on the bridge with Sonny. She's the one who shoved him the water. 

So attempted murder, I think? That tracks, no?

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

they do.  I know you're a greys fan like me (wave) but i don't know if you watched Private Practice. Amelia's relapse into Oxy started with her taking an accidental sip of champagne, and then simply having a beer, then getting drunk, and then.... full on drug orgies again.

Going even farther back to ER, I remember the outrage on the board when Carter, a drug addict, was shown drinking.

20 minutes ago, nilyank said:

There was some double talk about why Nikolas was considered to be legitimate even though Laura was legally married to Luke when Stavros forced her to marry him. Bigamy anyone? Since Laura's marriage to Luke did not take place in the Greek or Russian Orthodox church, Stavros claimed that her marriage was not recognized so he could legally marry Laura. Which is ridiculous because even if Laura could be married in the Church despite previous marriages/divorce to Scott, they would still recognize that they could not marry someone who was legally wed to someone else.

Kind of twisty but I remember when a Catholic friend of mine wanted to marry a man who had been married twice before, once in a church and again at City Hall. The Church insisted that his church marriage be annulled before they would let her marry him in a church. They didn't care about the second one because it was just a civil ceremony, i.e. not recognized.

3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

very soon she will have been standing on the bridge when he was chasing Julian. She's the one who shoved him into the river.

Now I'm expecting that from Carly or Joss.

It seemed to me that Jason couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Love 3

i am just quickly going through the day's show

1: sonny is all "i still can't take this in." in regards to Jason and Carly having feelings for one another and gonna have s-e-x on their wedding night but yet doesn't tell his wife that he was gonna have s-e-x with the woman he fell in love with (so hard that he once again didn't want anything from his past getting in the way HIS WORDS). okay there show. Also when Carly is all "I hear you are taking Jason away from us." I would have paid good money if Britt said "don't worry i'll return your doggie when i'm done with him, well and fed."  that or "well you did say you were giving him to me Carly, change your mind?"

2: Oh look. another doctor not related to the Q's are saying that leo should see a peds neurologist and Olivia is pissy. Shut up Olivia. like 98 times. I love  how Ned's look was I can't believe this crap. And sticking your head in the sand and ignoring medical advice also does the child disservice, Olivia. I will admit I don't know much about Autism/On the Spectrum - but i would assume it would also help people interact with Leo better and Leo interact with the world, and still allowing to be his awesome self, right?

3: Millowtonin - Willow was making sense, and this just pisses me off (and this is why as much as Esme and her very clearly psychopathy ways are interesting (until the show ruins it) and she willl mess up Joss's life (pls) - , this is where not having anyone on the show remembering AJ as more as "having problems' really hurts. Everyone is GUH Nina Lied without not one person saying "If you hadn't been there to begin with.." Everyone is all GUH Nina Lied without bringing up the fact that Sonny has done worse. and for Willow to go "how are we going to address Nina in Wiley's life." and Michael is making the same moves that his mom made against his actual father - it pisses me off because it's being painted as right. (I mean hell at least have Monica point out how Michael's forced removal from Q land really destroyed Alan and her). 

• Love 5

Yes to Jeff Webber! Especially if he is played Richard Dean Anderson. 

No to boring Curtis' dad story. 

The only way Michael will be interesting to me is if he pulls favors to get Nina in legal trouble but then Sonny ends up testifying for Nina while Carly's head explodes. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8