Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I can sort of accept where MB might want to have the chance to play a different character after all these years. But, just like Sonny, now that Smike is being challenged, he has pretty much morphed back into Sonny anyway. Whatever.

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I really hate plot point writing. I guess Jason is into Carly now. Wow. I knew she secretly loved him, but Jason has NEVER secretly loved Carly. He got over her the moment she slept w/Sonny, and he NEVER looked back. I guess these two need to really be in love to maximize the drama for Sonny's return!  Whatever. 🙄

exactly. Jason saw Carly/Sony together and he systematically killed that love.  but now it's like. "yeah i can dig it." since like two days ago because before he was still concerned about Brit. 

22 minutes ago, lala2 said:

Jax was great today! I loved everything he said to Nina. I also love the looks he gave. At one point, he looked at Nina like she was a crazy moron! There is no excuse for what Nina did. I still think the better story would have been Nina telling Sonny who he was and Sonny CHOOSING to not go back to his old life, but that's just me. 

That could never happen, because then Sonny would be wrong. Honestly that would have been a perfect story. Nina doesn't say anything the first few days, hedging her bets. then she goes look i know who you are. and he either stops her, or he hears it and goes coool i don't care. but then he'd have to deal with the consequences of those actions. now Nina gets to be all alone on the blame train because she knew and never said (regardless of Mike saying countless times he doesn't care because his stupid family never looked for him)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Also count me in as one who shipped Jarly back in the beginning. SJB and SB had a combustible chemistry. But now? Nahhhhhh. No way. 

Right there with you. I would have happily given a limb for a Jarly kiss 20 years ago (and probably even today if SJB was still in the role). But LW's Carly bears no resemblance to Sarah's. There is nothing underneath that constant snarl. 

• Love 7

I have to give LW her due. She goes for it in her scenes. But fuck my life, who is she blackmailing for this? The only thing that's left on her wish list is to make Michael Jason's son.

I'm going to blow my brains out (no, I'm not) if we're headed for a triangle with her, Jason and Sonny. Nobody needs it. Nobody.

The writers remembered that Jordan has one kidney. And it seems like we might be headed for a triangle there. 

Ingo is a completely hateful putz. I have zero patience for people like him, but his work over the past two days has been really good. 

It's good to see that Mike is no smarter than Sonny. Hey, Mike! Your girlfriend is lying to you. 

Nina is going to get mowed down for this. If Jax who is anti-Sonny on a good day doesn't understand what she did, then Carly and Jason and everyone connected to them won't either. 

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

have to give LW her due. She goes for it in her scenes. But fuck my life, who is she blackmailing for this? The only thing that's left on her wish list is to make Michael Jason's son.

I'm so annoyed/resentful of the queen bee getting her every whim catered to, even if it makes no sense/not for a good storyline.  

• Love 16
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, god, they're going to do a Leo-is-on-the-spectrum story, aren't they? They have no business do anything like this, considering how poorly they write these.

I actually appreciated that they had Austin spell out that there is nothing wrong with communicating in non traditional ways. I don't know why they danced around the words "spectrum" and "autistic", but him saying as a doctor that even if his suspicions are correct there is nothing wrong with Leo was actually wonderful.

If they are going to go there, I hope they have an autistic person (or persons) to consult on this storyline or it will probably go to shit with a quickness.

Edited by VioletMarx
  • Love 14

I can't believe that Jason loves Carly so much that he would actually fight for her when Sonny comes back. He won't be sad at all, like with Britt, he'll be "oh Sonny's back, OK let's forget about these last few days". Well that is the way it should be....

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I feel like the abrupt shift to legitimately pursuing Jason/Carly is because Mo preferred being paired with Nina, and based off the length of time we've spent in Nixon Falls, the show will trip over themselves to accommodate Mo's requests. 

And LW's. She's wanted to be paired with Steve for a while now. And of course she's the reason we're still stuck with Peter. 😒 Stop running (and ruining) the show, LW.

• Love 17
37 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

All the interested parties have flat out asked her if Curtis is the father and I guess she’s just lied to their faces??  That’s ridiculous.

it legit comes off as they writers changed their mind and decided to do this and now Portia looks like a stupid lying liar who lies. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I'm so annoyed/resentful of the queen bee getting her every whim catered to, even if it makes no sense/not for a good storyline.  

Same. She can fuck the hell off. 

25 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

If they are going to go there, I hope they have an autistic person (or persons) to consult on this storyline or it will probably go to shit with a quickness.

Maura has a son who is autistic. She very much knows about it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

it legit comes off as they writers changed their mind and decided to do this and now Portia looks like a stupid lying liar who lies. 

I 100% think that's what's happening.  Another character made to look stupid.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, god, they're going to do a Leo-is-on-the-spectrum story, aren't they?

But if they're going there, why not come right out and say it.  Austin tap danced around it and Ned was forced to read between the lines.  Why couldn't the writers used the words, autism or asperbergers or whichever one were about to get.  It was just odd and having RoHo, who's playing Austin a little off to begin with just made it worst.  

4 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Did Mike not notice or care that Jax basically said Nina knows who he really is?

That wasn't how Jax worded it.  He said, "You're not Mike and Nina knows it", which just means Nina knows he has nother identity, not necessarily that NIna know that identity.  Becuase that would be 100 times worse.  

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Maura has a son who is autistic. She very much knows about it.

But Maura is not a writer on the show and her character isn't even in this storyline. I meant they should hire a consultant and pay them to vet what they do, especially as they would be one of the first to address it from a childhood diagnosis.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I 100% think that's what's happening.  Another character made to look stupid.

for "drama" like hell. like it was said everyone asked her and it was like "no - it's taggerts" Curtis nearly died, Portia/Trina were almost killed, and it never felt like it needed to come out, but now it's this secret that she has to share? like kick rocks, show

17 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

it gets on my nerves how basically the argument is "well people are afraid she'll go." LET HER GO. We've had 4 Carly's i'm pretty sure if you needed , you could find another one. If you are that afraid you'll lose a huge chunk of fan base because you tell MB/LW/SB no - then here is a tip: Write great soap - and people will watch.  but you are writing HORRIBLE SOAP to keep 3 people happy and it's obvious in the ratings like come on now

22 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Did Mike not notice or care that Jax basically said Nina knows who he really is?

he noticed. and that was basically his whole flash back, like stuff Jax said vs. things Nina said, and then he kissed his watch and threw it away. like i said. Nina deserves everything coming to her, but Sonny deserves equal much poo throw at him because his only argument was "you didn't come lookin' for me, and I don't have the sense god gave a flea to think "ya know maybe they think i'm dead." so i just stayed here. He had agency and he decided to do poop all with it 

• Love 8

Jax knocked it out of the park again today.  I think the most poignant thing he brought up is the horrible chain of events that have played out in Port Charles since Sonny's supposed death, which could have been prevented if Nina told the truth from the get go.  My big question is when the dust settles, outside of being ostracized, does Nina face any legal ramifications for her lies? 

The show was doing a good job keeping Carly and Jason in the friend zone and completely threw it out the window today with that kiss.  They shouldn't have gone there.

Does it really matter if Jax, Nina and Sonny, or any combination there of, prevents the wedding from going off?  Damn thing won't be legal anyways!

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, BlueMax said:

Jax knocked it out of the park again today.  I think the most poignant thing he brought up is the horrible chain of events that have played out in Port Charles since Sonny's supposed death, which could have been prevented if Nina told the truth from the get go.  My big question is when the dust settles, outside of being ostracized, does Nina face any legal ramifications for her lies? 

The show was doing a good job keeping Carly and Jason in the friend zone and completely threw it out the window today with that kiss.  They shouldn't have gone there.

Does it really matter if Jax, Nina and Sonny, or any combination there of, prevents the wedding from going off?  Damn thing won't be legal anyways!

I don't know I can't think of what Nina legally did wrong. lot of morally things wrong but legally i can't think off the top of my head. 

Honestly most of the terrible chain of events happened because Carly wanted to big queen bee finally. She was told not to go. She went. she strutted. she wanted to play with the big boys. that's the consequence.

the biggest regret i have is Ms Woo not taking everyone out. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, ffwbe said:

I would find Jason fighting for Carly to be the most unrealistic of this story considering he has never fought for any woman. He’s easily the most passive love interest on this show. 

1,000,000% THIS!

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I would find Jason fighting for Carly to be the most unrealistic of this story considering he has never fought for any woman. He’s easily the most passive love interest on this show. 

He is. He puts the burden on the women all the time. Well if you want to get married, then let's get married, if you don't want to get married, then we won't. 

Passive is one thing, but I find that he comes off uninterested most of the time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

regardless of Mike saying countless times he doesn't care because his stupid family never looked for him

It's so pissant. "They didn't look for me* so I don't care about them." What are you, five?

* Narrator: they did.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It's so pissant. "They didn't look for me* so I don't care about them." What are you, five?

* Narrator: they did.

it is. people are using that as a defense for Mike and I am like no. That's not an excuse. It's like you said, is he five? I would hope that if i lost my memory I would want to find out who i was, where i came from, where my people is at. It takes three seconds. Go to the police, tell them you have no memory, run your prints. (if you aren't in the system), go to to the hospital, maybe there's something they can do.  Have an alert bulletin. 

He's like "nah, y'all. all the owness is on them, so i want to fall in love with the first blonde woman i saw even though i have dreams about this other blonde woman and I know i had to be married coz i had rings." 

How Nina fell in love with Mike is so stupid. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Is LW really worth all this bullshit TPTB shovels out? She isnt even the best Carly on the show (still say Tamara and she actually had chemistry with Jason and Sonny).

You are willing the ratings to suck so hard to appease her? For what? So she doesnt leave with her Broadway boyfriend?

• Love 19
56 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Anyone ever see this Pete Davidson character on SNL? This is Jason with every woman ever.

Chad

• LOL 13
9 minutes ago, Cheetara1986 said:

Is LW really worth all this bullshit TPTB shovels out? She isnt even the best Carly on the show (still say Tamara and she actually had chemistry with Jason and Sonny).

You are willing the ratings to suck so hard to appease her? For what? So she doesnt leave with her Broadway boyfriend?

i think they don't want to lose their dedicated fanbase so they do whatever MB/LW/SB wants. which ultimately hurts the show. so i mean what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Tamara was my favourite Carly, buti liked SJB's a lot too honestly I think when Tamara left they were hoping they could bring her back, but then LW settled in after the third one sneezed and you missed it apperance. they shoulda just killed her off. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Daisy said:

there is no way the Jason that I know and loathe would stick his tongue voluntarily down Carly's throat unless he had amnesia. Again. 

Well…they did kiss with their mouths closed so I guess there’s that…🤮

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, VioletMarx said:

Anyone ever see this Pete Davidson character on SNL? This is Jason with every woman ever.

Chad

LOL, that IS Jason. 

I also rolled my eyes/take exception to the "you were my first friend who didn't know me before" narrative.  They were fuck buddies, that's it.  Any time Carly tried to find out anything about him--including HIS NAME--he shut her down.  So miss me, writers, with this rewrite.

I can't with this "Mike and Sonny are two different people" that Nina was yammering about today.  They are not.  Mike is exactly like Sonny, just without an organization to back up his anger.  Jax needs to just flat-out tell him who he is, then go back to PC and tell Jason and Carly where he is.  I'm over this Nixon Falls exile (so said we all).

Leo on the spectrum: man, why was Austin dancing around the words today?  If they're going to do the story, DO the story. 

Maxie and BLQ: the friendship I never knew I kind of wanted.  Amanda Sutton and Kirsten work well together.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Wouldn't it though?  Carly had Sonny legally declared dead, to stabilize the business.  So wouldn't her marriage to Jason still 'legally' count?  

did she? I know i was screaming forthem to do it so the agreement Ava/Sonny had was null and that way Sonny had to beg to see his daughter but i never knew if it actually took or not

41 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

LOL, that IS Jason. 

I also rolled my eyes/take exception to the "you were my first friend who didn't know me before" narrative.  They were fuck buddies, that's it.  Any time Carly tried to find out anything about him--including HIS NAME--he shut her down.  So miss me, writers, with this rewrite.

I can't with this "Mike and Sonny are two different people" that Nina was yammering about today.  They are not.  Mike is exactly like Sonny, just without an organization to back up his anger.  Jax needs to just flat-out tell him who he is, then go back to PC and tell Jason and Carly where he is.  I'm over this Nixon Falls exile (so said we all).

Leo on the spectrum: man, why was Austin dancing around the words today?  If they're going to do the story, DO the story. 

Maxie and BLQ: the friendship I never knew I kind of wanted.  Amanda Sutton and Kirsten work well together.

ALL of this

The show is writing like a good chunk of fan base hasn't seen past last year or something. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ffwbe said:

This is why I find him to be such a complete bore for the past, oh 20 years or so. 

But man would I have loved a true Jason/Carly kiss back in the day. He and SJB had some sparkling chemistry even though I always felt like he looked down on her. A triangle with these two and Sonny would be hilarious, and so ludicrous that I almost want to see it. But no Jason would just step aside and then some other woman like Britt, who deserves better, would be waiting there to gratefully accept being his second or third choice. 

Edited by racked
  • Love 5

Nina's argument of "this is Mike, he shouldn't have to be bothered with Sonny's life" is just crap. If he wants to stay Mike, fine. But he has to clean up Sonny's mess first.

39 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I think that whoever wrote it thought that a parent would freak out being told that his child was on the spectrum. It's often the opposite, that the parent is relieved to have a diagnosis, but  it's too early for Austin to give one yet. There's a lot of testing to be done first.

I did like Austin repeatedly saying that each child is different and that's all right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Cheetara1986 said:

She's not. They should let her go and try to steal back Tamara or someone else.

This Jarly rewrite would have been more believable with anyone but LW.

Jax was great.

• Love 9

Tamara Braun's performance as Kim Nero was just brutal for me.  You can talk about how the writing of the character left a lot to be desired, but from her constant coffee cup holding and slipping her hands in her back pockets during every episode, made me want to reach through the TV and smack her upside the head. 

You can criticize the Carly character all you want, but Laura Wright is a hell of an actress and in my opinion runs circles around TB.  Just my opinion of course, but I think you would be hard pressed to find three better performers on this show that outclass her acting abilities.

• Love 6
On 9/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well I know all I need to know-heading off to the BARGE again.

Eh, I think it's just pretzel twisting poorly written melodrama to create angst for the wedding day-month. 

On 9/7/2021 at 11:11 PM, tessaray said:

And ftr Show, I will never buy Jason with real romantic feelings for this Carly.  Never. Not ever. 

Totally agree. SB gives off an annoyed brotherly vibe when acting with LW's Carly. 

On 9/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, mostlylurking said:

Just pushing himself on Nina after all the shit he kept from her in service to Carly of all people.  It wasn’t his place.

It is his place as a father trying to protect his daughter. She is his top priority. He is rightly angry that someone from a Mob family tried to intimidate Josslyn. He also knows that Josslyn (unfortunately) loves and misses her stepfather. NIna's lies and "relationship with Mike" absolutely impacts Josslyn's life. 

7 hours ago, JNavarro said:

"Right...heeya".  I'm sure that was finely crafted to represent deep psychological angst.  Method acting at its finest, ya'll.  

Not even close!  I remember my cousin's daughter sounding like that to announce my arrival or another relative's ..... when she was 3 years old. 

6 hours ago, Linny said:

Jason catching feelings is beyond abrupt and contrary to what we've seen unfold. And you know this is only happening because we're at the precipice of Mike learning his true identity as Sonny, which makes the whole thing even shittier. Who needs authentic storytelling when you can have manufactured drama, right?

And it speaks volumes that Carly had to ask if Jason was telling her the truth about his feelings or if he was telling her what she wanted to hear. The fact that she'll never be able to distinguish between those two viewpoints with Jason is exactly why they shouldn't be a couple.

You put it perfectly. In their scenes today, I found it interesting that SB didn't act with Jason having light in his eyes, a little smile or any show of emotion whatsoever in saying those lines or (IMO) awkwardly leaning in for a kiss. I've seen him show more warmth in a few minutes with Monica or even when Jake visited him in the PC jail. it came off like he was telling Carly what she needed to hear because she was in a "vulnerable moment" when he knows they need to get married for her safety. He has flat out said many times he put Carly first because she's Michael's mother.  He didn't need to "justify" it. 

I thought leaving out any mentions of Robin or Elizabeth as they re-hashed very old history was glaring and insulting; the Show working this hard to make us believe in J&C tells me all I need to know about their lack of creativity. Yes Carly, Jason shut you out as he was falling in love with Robin. You had revenge sex with Sonny because you thought Jason was romantically involved with Elizabeth, and then Jason left town

There scenes today make me think of how the Show retconned Luke cheating on Laura with Holly to establish Ethan's existence (when Gearly wanted a son not played by GV) and more recently when Cam was upset at Zander's grave, never acknowledging he used to think of Lucky Spencer as "Daddy."

1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

They were fuck buddies, that's it.  Any time Carly tried to find out anything about him--including HIS NAME--he shut her down.  So miss me, writers, with this rewrite.

Absolutely!!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

There scenes today make me think of how the Show retconned Luke cheating on Laura with Holly to establish Ethan's existence (when Gearly wanted a son not played by GV) and more recently when Cam was upset at Zander's grave, never acknowledging he used to think of Lucky Spencer as "Daddy."

which A: the show should have told Geary no, and suck it. and B: we all watched that Cam totally though Lucky as Daddy.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, VioletMarx said:

But Maura is not a writer on the show and her character isn't even in this storyline. I meant they should hire a consultant and pay them to vet what they do, especially as they would be one of the first to address it from a childhood diagnosis.

Good luck on that.

7 hours ago, Daisy said:

the biggest regret i have is Ms Woo not taking everyone out. 

Team Ms Woo

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BlueMax said:

Tamara Braun's performance as Kim Nero was just brutal for me.  You can talk about how the writing of the character left a lot to be desired, but from her constant coffee cup holding and slipping her hands in her back pockets during every episode, made me want to reach through the TV and smack her upside the head. 

You can criticize the Carly character all you want, but Laura Wright is a hell of an actress and in my opinion runs circles around TB.  Just my opinion of course, but I think you would be hard pressed to find three better performers on this show that outclass her acting abilities.

Genie Francis, Finola Hughes, Maura West, Nancy Lee Grahn, Kathleen Gati, Dominic Zamprogna, Jon Lindstrom.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

LW commits to her script, I will give her that. Occasionally she portrays layers and a vulnerability but most of the time she comes off as a possessive soccer mom. Even now with Jason, I'm not really getting the vulnerable/hopefulness of finally, maybe, having Jason in love with her at last.

In contrast, Maura West, Kathleen Gati and Jon Lindstrom flip between villain, humour and passion with ease.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17

Yeah, the 'Jason could be in love with Carly' is some grade A fanfiction bullshit. 

And did anyone else notice SMike got to call out Jax for 'betraying' Nina... That alone should have caused a few Sonny flashbacks. (Sigh... So much barware, so little smashing) 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, BlueMax said:

Maura, Finola, Nancy Lee . . . Becky, Epiphany, BLQ, Maxie . . . shall I continue?

1 minute ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Maura, Finola, Nancy Lee, Genie, Kimberly . . . Becky, Epiphany, BLQ, Maxie . . . shall I continue?

• Love 1

Sonny is usually the reason everyone is in danger  - but now, he is needed in PC!   But then, he does not remember who he is, so how can he carry out Sonny's beneficial effect in PC?  LOL.  

The usual amnesiac story usually has the characters forgetting the amnesiac doesn't remember them, and so does not miss them, love them, and so on.  

But then, he can still make his super duper special awesome sauce.  He remembers that.  

• Love 1