Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Okay, who is that camp counselor kid related to that we're forced to endure his wooden performance ?

MVP of today's show is the day player in the bar who kept drinking  and was the only person ( other than Joss and Trina) that didn't take part in the brawl. 😆

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
(edited)

Seriously, why does Cody exist right now?  Nothing against the actor, I liked him ok on OLTL, but it’s just unnecessary.  We have so many current storylines moving at a snails pace, dropped and picked up again months later so we no longer care, why add a new character to the mix??

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, Daisy said:

at the end of the day - even if they weren't in a committed relationship - Violet + the boys are cousins, which makes Finn a quasi-uncle of sorts.  so i'd argue he'd want to bond/have a relationship with them regardless  for that score. 

and considering that their actual uncle gives zero poops about them and we don't have Lucky.... shrug

And that would be fine if the writers framed it like that but they're not, they're framing it coming from the angle of Finn being Liz's boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

This whole in the woods thing makes no sense whatsoever. Why are "doctor" Austin and "executive" Maxie suddenly camp counselors?

Maxie is on the emergency help list which they said regardless if your child is participating or not - you help. Austin i don't remember them explaining why but. i am sure he's just volunteering too.. Georgie isn't there at all. she's at a sleepover. 

8 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Does Cody not have a legitimate beef, in that he was hired to do a job for a fee and Zelda isn't paying him the full amount he is owed?

Cody is bitching that Zelda isn't covering 500 dollars worth of incidentals that he charged to the hotel (an amount that is MINDBOGGLING to anyone). usually incidentals is something decided on both parties up front and is clear in the contract. it's either fully covered, not covered at all - or covered up to a point. Everytime Cody mentions he spent 500 dollars everyone is like the eff? 

10 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

And if I hear one more time, by either Carly or Willow, how poor Michael was attacked on the stand, when A), they attacked Nina first and B) no one attacked him, all they did was ask about his own violent past. It was Scotty's literal job to throw MIchael under the bus on the stand. UGGGHHHHH.

BUT BY NINA'S ORDERS booohooo hooo

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

And that would be fine if the writers framed it like that but they're not, they're framing it coming from the angle of Finn being Liz's boyfriend.

i honestly don't know. i mean - they are connected that way and even though this is the relationship they sped up (unlike CLQ) he wanted to get to know  the boys irregardless. I think it would be even scuzzier if it was like "oh liz is gone, peace y'all" 

it might not even be a 60-40% split - but for me i do think being an uncle of some sorts is also behind some of this. but it's this show and it's poop writing so who knows what.

I like Sonny/Nina and think they have chemistry but tbh, I think their writing is terrible. There’s very little movement and Sonny comes off like he’s treating her like the backup option when he and Carly are already over. Ironically it’s the opposite of Carly/Drew for me because they get the better dialogue like they are this deep potential couple who gets each other but their chemistry is nonexistent and they give off overly enthusiastic TV host energy in their scenes together. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Cody is bitching that Zelda isn't covering 500 dollars worth of incidentals that he charged to the hotel

But it still doesn't make sense to me.  If Zelda hired him to parachute into the pool for, let's say, $2000, then that's what he should have been paid.  The full $2000 that was owed him.   If after the fact, he racked up $500 dollars worth of hotel stuff, than that's between him and the hotel not Zelda. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

If after the fact, he racked up $500 dollars worth of hotel stuff, than that's between him and the hotel not Zelda. 

I believe what they said yesterday was the contract stated she would pay him $2,000 and also pay for his hotel room *less incidentals.*  So when she went to pay the hotel bill, it was $500 the contract amount, so she deducted it from his paycheck.

Wyatt is the Pioneer (!?) who found Peter in the cabin when Obrecht had him tied up and was torturing him. He pops up occasionally, I think he found Scott in the woods when he was thrown out of the plane by Victor's goons. Knowing how Frank hires people, I wonder if he's played by someone's son.

Georgie was at a sleepover but Maxie is apparently on the Pioneer parent list and got called in to help out with the sleepover, and Austin has secretly been a counsellor all this time since he loves the woods so much. But I can't figure out what Finn is doing there though, normally outside people (Finn, Gregory, Violet, Cam and Jake) are not allowed at camp outs.

25 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Does Cody not have a legitimate beef, in that he was hired to do a job for a fee and Zelda isn't paying him the full amount he is owed?

He spent $500 on hotel amenities above and beyond what was in his contract and and billed it to her. She wants her money back.

Cody is supposed to be saving up to buy a ranch but he blows $500 and then blackmails Spinelli to get into a high stakes card game. Way to go, spendthrift. Can someone tell me why I'm supposed to be rooting for him?

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Why are "doctor" Austin and "executive" Maxie suddenly camp counselors?

Austin enjoys hiking and the outdoors so it makes sense to me that he might want to volunteer his time for this organization.  Maxie.... not so much except parents have to help out when your kid is involved.

I missed today but doesn't sound like much happened.

Anyone else enjoying the new response emoji selection??

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

Okay, who is that camp counselor kid related to that we're forced to endure his wooden performance ?

There is actually a literal answer to this! He played RoHo's son on OLTL.  It was kind of sweet to see two of his son-figures singing together.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

All that time, money and resources wasted on that ridiculous bar fight scene. Usually these scenes are used to introduce a new chevaleresque character but we’re not adding a 150th actor to the mix, are we?

Will Rory be the hero? I could not care less.

Where is Anna? Victor? I hope CS didn’t suffer from an operation setback.

(edited)
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Wyatt is the Pioneer (!?) who found Peter in the cabin when Obrecht had him tied up and was torturing him. He pops up occasionally, I think he found Scott in the woods when he was thrown out of the plane by Victor's goons. 

Wyatt shows up whenever someone is in the woods. So they need to stop going into the woods.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 16

I would rather watch Chase be a bachelor eating cereal for dinner and yelling at the game versus him following Brooklyn around giving her wounded moonpie faces. Speaking of Brooklyn, for God's sake girl, you are not Taylor Swift, write some new damn songs! 

I hate Joss, but she was cracking me up with her screwball comedy faces during the fight. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

The Joss/Trina scenes were so stupid.  "Oh, that's Essy.  Now, in great detail, describe everything you did for her." - could they be less obvious?

My cup of don't care is now spilling over with this stupid Spinelli story. 

Today it was a struggle to pay attention.

“Medical strides have come a long way”? Yes, Curtis, they have. And I think they strode all over your script.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:37 PM, rur said:

A point is coming pretty soon when the lisp will no longer be cute 

That point sped past about 3 years ago. 
I will never understand this show’s preoccupation with precocious moppets. Michael the scamp, Spencer the arrogant turd, la petite princesse Charlotte— all annoying. Violet is no better. Why is Elizabeth the only person on this show who can raise normal kids?

On 6/14/2022 at 8:25 PM, TeeVee329 said:

It's odd, in the periodic moments when the show breaks up Sonny and Carly or has them at odds, I'm usually on Carly's side of things, even if it's just because I think Laura Wright's the better actor.  It's so weird to be leaning more towards Sonny in their current conflict.

I’m right there with you in Bizarro World. I have spent many years defending or excusing Carly’s behavior, mostly due to my lingering love of the character Sarah Brown created (as well as an appreciation for Laura Wright’s talent), but lately this show has been doing its best to make me despise her. 

At the same time, I’m gaining a new appreciation for Sonny, a character I have loathed for many years. It’s all topsy-turvy. I guess I should blame Nina?

14 hours ago, Daisy said:

La Melos? lol 

I read it as Lame!os. That seemed like a better fit. And for their lame!o Hulu ad, they enlist a bare-chested Chase? Maybe it works for some, but I was just embarrassed for Josh Swickard.

I don’t even know what to say about that cornball campfire singalong. Also embarrassing. And as for the Stalker in the Woods… I was so hoping it would turn out to be Spinelli in a hockey mask, embracing the inner psycho we’ve always suspected him to be, and the episode would end in a bloodbath. Anything to make this show interesting again. 

PS- the more I learn about Commander Cody, the more I pre-hate him. Do better, Writers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 6/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, Daisy said:
On 6/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, jacourt said:

So who was spying on Maxie and austin?  I hope it’s not peter. 

he is most sincerely dead. 

Or, as Trelaine from ST:TOS once said: "Dead, Dead, Dead."

Btw, does anyone know where NLG is these days?  Not that there has been anything of significance going on with Alexis's character for quite some time. Is there something going on with the actor?

14 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

MVP of today's show is the day player in the bar who kept drinking  and was the only person ( other than Joss and Trina) that didn't take part in the brawl. 😆

That guy sitting at the bar had me in stitches.  He was the best part of the episode.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Could someone explain that weird cereal box? The guy on it looked familiar- is this another advert-in-Show like when they were all Gaga for delicious Hershey’s syrup?

Also, that was a bizarre song to sing at a camp singalong.  A lot of random nonsense today, though I am always appreciative of Shirtless Chase.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Btw, does anyone know where NLG is these days? 

She had back surgery which is why we had a temp for the Harmony stuff.  then was back at work briefly before she got Covid and was out again.  They may not have needed a temp for the second break since there doesn't seem to be any story for her now that Harmony is dead and Carly has a piece of every single storyline pie.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Could someone explain that weird cereal box? The guy on it looked familiar- is this another advert-in-Show like when they were all Gaga for delicious Hershey’s syrup?

I was just coming on here to post about that as well!  The weirdest thing happened last night too there was a commercial for Hulu and it had the same exact cereal box!  I think that guy is a basketball player but it was just weird that it came up on a Hulu commercial and GH both in the same day.

31 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I was just coming on here to post about that as well!  The weirdest thing happened last night too there was a commercial for Hulu and it had the same exact cereal box!  I think that guy is a basketball player but it was just weird that it came up on a Hulu commercial and GH both in the same day.

LaMello Ball plays for the Charlotte Hornets and is shilling for Hulu-which I believe is owned by ABC.

• Useful 7
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

“Medical strides have come a long way”? Yes, Curtis, they have. And I think they strode all over your script.

I love how he's telling that to TJ, a doctor. I'm sure that was news to him.

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

They may not have needed a temp for the second break since there doesn't seem to be any story for her now that Harmony is dead and Carly has a piece of every single storyline pie.  

I wonder if they stuck Carly in some of those stories so they wouldn't have to hire a temp. Not that Alexis would make much more sense in any of them.

45 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

it was just weird that it came up on a Hulu commercial and GH both in the same day.

That's synergy!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2022 at 10:19 PM, ffwbe said:

I think Carly’s laser focus on Nina and the Sonny/Nina relationship is contributing to that. Sonny has pretty much moved on by now and he only brings up his issues with Michael. Carly hasn’t been doing much lately except obsessing over Nina and occasionally getting thrown into a SL that has nothing to do with her. Like even if she was the true wronged party (and there’s some debate to that being true), it just makes her look petty and bitter that she can’t move on from this and has a meltdown every time she sees them together. While I’m not a fan of Carly, I know a few people that are and they hate that they haven’t moved her out of Sonny/Nina’s orbit and given her a storyline of her own. 

Carly does NOT need her own storyline (what happened to Mob Boss?) but rather Carly needs A VACATION!  Jeez, Louise!  Does she have to be in every darn story?  Make it stop.  Having said that, if someone arrests her for insider trading, I'll cheer!

Edited by KayVeeTeeVee
  • Applause 4
  • Love 8

Yesterday's show:

• Chase's cereal - a blatant Hulu placement? Maybe it is just me, but I didn't expect Chase to be sitting in the dark, eating cereal for dinner while watching some game. 
  • Who goes to a pool at night and takes off his shirt if he isn't going to swim? It isn't like he's going to get a tan. Chase looks good, but that was gratuitous (and silly).
  • What kind of a "sleazy" bar was that? 
    • Joss & Trina are from out of town - did their fake IDs still say they were from PC?
    • If you can't get in on your fake ID, just admit that you want to buy sketchy stuff and the bouncer / owner will say, "Oh, ok, that's the guy over there".
    • Asking for a phone, Joss has a long list of requirements, and she talks to the underground seller as if she's at Best Buy. If he doesn't have what she wants will she threaten to speak to the manager?
    • Why would they expect a sleazy under the counter phone seller to share info about Esme with them? 
  • Agree about the campfire sing-along - don't you usually start with something easy that everyone knows? Also, the idea is to get everyone involved, that's why rounds like "Row Your Boat" are popular.  This was more like a concert. 
  • High stakes poker game? A hundred dollars is a lot for me, but I'd expect Ms. Wu's clients typically come up with a little more cash. I doubt $100.00 would last one hand.
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

High stakes poker game? A hundred dollars is a lot for me, but I'd expect Ms. Wu's clients typically come up with a little more cash. I doubt $100.00 would last one hand.

Cody had a wad of cash, likely the result of blackmailing Spinelli. That $100 bill was indicate there were more, I think. I'd expect a high-ish buy-in, though. Maybe $1,000 to start? It has to be high enough for Curtis to want to (reluctantly) host the game.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

GH is preempted by the January 6 hearings.

Today's episode will be shown tomorrow per the show's Twitter feed

In regards to Nancy Lee Grahn's absence, a promo this week showed her so maybe we'll see her this week

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Wyatt is the Pioneer (!?) who found Peter in the cabin when Obrecht had him tied up and was torturing him. He pops up occasionally, I think he found Scott in the woods when he was thrown out of the plane by Victor's goons. Knowing how Frank hires people, I wonder if he's played by someone's son.

Wyatt's other appearance (between finding Peter in the cabin and finding Scott in the woods) was as a patient at the hospital. He needed to have some operation (tonsils?) and he was scared about it, and Peter gave him a pep talk about bravery.

They really seemed all in for a while with trying to make Peter happen as a sympathetic character. It's weird having this recurring kid on once in a while to bring back memories of it, since his early appearances were largely to facilitate it. 

On GH kids: Yeah, I'm still finding every scene with Violet overdone and cloying. and there are So. Many. of Them. I'd never wish anything really bad on an actual kid, but a huge growth spurt (making all the talk about tea pawties too ridiculous even for Frank's GH to continue) can't come soon enough.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

I’ve come to the conclusion that nuJordan isn’t cutting it. I don’t know if it’s because they aren’t writing for her, showing her or she just isn’t tough or edgy enough for the role. I’m watching an interview with Michael Morgan on The Locher Room and really think GH should have snapped her up in between her roles on Y&R. Jordan Ashford Is almost to pretty for the role. She looks like she should be working at Deception than a police commissioner. If they don’t start writing for her I don’t see her lasting in the role for much longer. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 7

I  am so over the tea parties with  stuffed animals and fake tea. At 8, Aiden was a master baker.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I will never understand this show’s preoccupation with precocious moppets. Michael the scamp, Spencer the arrogant turd, la petite princesse Charlotte— all annoying. Violet is no better. Why is Elizabeth the only person on this show who can raise normal kids?

She's not a starring player.

5 hours ago, KittyQ said:
  • A high stakes poker game? A hundred dollars is a lot for me, but I'd expect Ms. Wu's clients typically come up with a little more cash. I doubt $100.00 would last one hand.

$1,000 at the least to buy in although if they are serious about it being an 3xclusive game $5,000 or $10,000 makes more sense.

I remember when Jax took V to Monte Carlo to win some serious money. Good times.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that nuJordan isn’t cutting it. I don’t know if it’s because they aren’t writing for her, showing her or she just isn’t tough or edgy enough for the role. I’m watching an interview with Michael Morgan on The Locher Room and really think GH should have snapped her up in between her roles on Y&R. Jordan Ashford Is almost to pretty for the role. She looks like she should be working at Deception than a police commissioner. If they don’t start writing for her I don’t see her lasting in the role for much longer. 

I totally agree. I don’t know if she’s a decent actress or not but the way she’s played the role of the PC head cop is leaving me cold. She’s not the least believable, not nearly tough enough and just too …. something not there.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I remember when Jax took V to Monte Carlo to win some serious money. Good times.

Ah, V... I always wanted them together. Now I can't even remember what she looked like.

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

She’s not the least believable, not nearly tough enough and just too …. something not there.

That something is a personality. I don't think I've ever seen a character so lacking in personality. The writers haven't given her a lot to work with, but any competent actress could imbue her scenes with something beyond stiffness. Jordan is a character seriously in need of a recast, if we must have her at all.

• Like 9
  • Love 2

On the shallow end, Carly needs to set the dial on the spray tan back a few levels. She's literally orange on my TV. I thought it was just the lighting but everyone else looked normal except Carly. As Ray from Schitt's Creek once said of Patrick when he had a similar tanning mishap, "[She] looks like one of those people who have a skin condition from eating too many carrots."

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, MarciNJ said:

"pre-hate" - LOL!!!  Must use this phrase!

Pre-hating comes in especially handy for reality TV shows. I regularly pre-hate Survivor contestants, for example, after reading their bios.

5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that nuJordan isn’t cutting it. 

What took you so long? 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

On the shallow end, Carly needs to set the dial on the spray tan back a few levels. She's literally orange on my TV.

(George Costanza voice) "She's like a carrot!" 

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that nuJordan isn’t cutting it. I don’t know if it’s because they aren’t writing for her, showing her or she just isn’t tough or edgy enough for the role.

I think it's a combination of all of these. Ever since Sonny and the mob became the star of the show, the police commissioner, no matter who's in the role, has been defanged so Sonny always wins. It doesn't help that Tanisha Harper is kind of wooden and gets terrible writing.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/15/2022 at 5:45 PM, TVbitch said:

I hate Joss, but she was cracking me up with her screwball comedy faces during the fight. 

It was funny. I think it was the first time EM didn't annoy me by just being onscreen.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:56 AM, sas616 said:

That guy sitting at the bar had me in stitches.  He was the best part of the episode.

Too bad we can't have him instead of Cody. They wouldn't even need to give him lines.

I know it's not quite the same but the dive bar made me miss Coleman.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:57 AM, KittyQ said:
  • What kind of a "sleazy" bar was that? 
    • Joss & Trina are from out of town - did their fake IDs still say they were from PC?
    • If you can't get in on your fake ID, just admit that you want to buy sketchy stuff and the bouncer / owner will say, "Oh, ok, that's the guy over there".
    • Asking for a phone, Joss has a long list of requirements, and she talks to the underground seller as if she's at Best Buy. If he doesn't have what she wants will she threaten to speak to the manager?
    • Why would they expect a sleazy under the counter phone seller to share info about Esme with them? 

To be fair, she craftily (heh) showed Esme's picture only to reference the kind of phone she wanted. 🤦‍♀️

Yeah, that scene was cringey. But at least we're getting some movement on the stupid phone.

Eta: continuing to enjoy the Jason-free era. If SB was still hogging a huge part of the budget, Jason would have met the phone entrepreneur on the docks, strong-armed him for the Esme info and it would have been done in 30 seconds.

• Love 3

I find it funny how the photos they show on GH are exactly what the character is wearing that day.  Esme's photo on Joss' phone, the Nic/Esme couple photo in Esme's bedroom at Windemere. 

• LOL 4

Listening to Nina explain what Scott's plan was - that was a bad plan. It's not even in retrospect.  Scott should have simply pointed out everyone in that kid's life has some kin of criminal record, and has done bad things, yet still are allowed to be in his life, and Nina - who legit cooperated with everything the dipsticks wanted - was being held to different/unfair standard and the kid was being weaponized against her. 

Sonny and Nina... are so sweet. MB must really like playing with Cynthia. He's so humanized. (there are still sonny issues but still).

So basically Carly's big thing about being free is that Sonny didn't rush over to his brat son who wants nothing to do with him to comfort him, where said brat would have thrown  fit in open court, and pushed him away anyway. shut up Carly. not everything is about you and your bratty children. 

*sigh*. Ni Hao is not Korean. It's annyeong - (informal) (haseyo) - formalized. come on show, it's as easy as typing in "how to say hello in Korean." (i mean i lived there so I knew this right off the bat).

Joss is stupid to bring Trina to a place where she could have been arrested, and Trina was stupid to go. and Rory was insane to go for it. 

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Arresting everyone they throw a punch on soaps is boring. but Chase was stupid. BLQ was stupid. They are stupid together.  This is stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Kudos to CamMat and his dedication to his training program, but the ogling camera is gross. Would they do that to a woman? Probably not, so don't do it to a man. 

I didn't like Chase lounging around shirtless at night at the pool, either. 

• Love 5