Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Sam wants to show her parole officer that she’s an excellent mother? How does she plan to do that when she hasn’t spent more than 10 minutes with her kids since Jason returned? Does she even remember their names?

• Love 9
4 hours ago, bannana said:

That is exactly what I thought!  What a waste of a fabulous look; dress, hair and makeup!

If it was real, we heard a splash.  So who do we think will rescue her? Nikolas?

She also screamed. I’ll also echo how STOOPID it was for him to throw her over, since he didn’t get the answer he wanted. So what now? Does this maroon think the codicil will “die” with her?🙄🙄🙄

4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

And, she really was drinking too much. LOL!!!

She only had two martinis.

I wish this show would STOP making Laura STOOOPID. The shock and continued disbelief that Boris could be alive. It’s gotten BEYOND RIDICULOUS.

And mind your own bidnez, Sasha! She should have just given the paper to Nina without looking at it. Just why is she so invested in Nina marrying a guy who lied and deceived her? Because he did it out of luuuurve?

I just 😂😂🤣🤣 at how empty the room was where the guests were supposed to sit! 

And is Nina not going to style her hair? And WHY!? Whywhywhy does Jax keep acting like she’s some damsel that needs to be rescued?? BLECH.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

I get irrational anxiety on a show when the main female character is supposed to get married or go to a fancy ball, and is out rushing around mere minutes before the big event.

I always feel like these must be written by male writers who have no idea the LAYERS of prep that it takes to be in fancy dress, hair and makeup. Hell, even a butch hero would probably want to at least jump in the shower. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Valentin doesn't want the codicil made public because then Nikolas gets the Cassadine estate. He would be happy if Ava died and the codicil was buried forever.

Now that Laura suspects that Nik is still alive, I hope she comes down hard on him for hiding that he was alive. A lot of people suffered, from Spencer to Laura and Lulu,l now to idiot Charlotte.

The funniest part of the episode was Obrecht trying to get Jax to fund her study because it was too outre for American communities (aka didn't pass the ethics review) but maybe Australians aren't so picky.

15 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Sam wants to show her parole officer that she’s an excellent mother? How does she plan to do that when she hasn’t spent more than 10 minutes with her kids since Jason returned? Does she even remember their names?

Luckily the names are written on the stockings over the fireplace.

4 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I know this show likes to think Sonny/Carly and Jason/Sam are these awesome, root-worthy pairings (and I know they both still have their fans) but there absolutely no stakes in any of their dramatic scenes.

Nothing ever changes with them because they have a fanbase that will not accept anything but True Love Through the Trials for them.  And because neither MB nor SBu will accept playing a flawed character so it's always the women who have to give in.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes, just as if you have sex, you know that you may have a baby.  That was my whole point.

Again, proving my point.

The difference is that a ONS is just that, one night. Sonny and Jason, on the other hand, commit dangerous and illegal acts multiple times a day, every day. Each time they do, they are saying "I don't care if what I do hurts my children.'

• Love 3

Sonny to Carly: why didn’t you come to me the night you found out? Why couldn’t you trust me with the truth?

me to Sonny: that’s a rhetorical question, right?

oh and Carly? Sonny has been breaking the law since he was 17 years old. His list of crimes (including murder) is so long it could fill the entire Eastern seaboard. So stop harping on Dev as if that’s the only thing Sonny has ever done wrong.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

This is why no matter what they try like putting Scout and Danny in the Christmas episode anything JaSam and kids will always miss the mark.  It's just not believable that Sam cares remotely about her children.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Aww, are Sam and Jason breaking up? Say it ain't so! [/sarcasm]

I groaned loudly enough at this idiocy that my mom asked what was going on, hee.

5 hours ago, Linny said:

Both MW and JPS did a great job with making that scene truly menacing and not cartoonish. 

Considering Valentin's (and Wyndemere's) history with parapets, I was disappointed Ava so willingly went up with Colonel Tad Parker. She should have at least been able to throw her martini in Valentin's face, even if it would be a complete waste of a good drink.

1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

Does she even remember their names?

Do they remember Sam is their mother?

47 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

So stop harping on Dev as if that’s the only thing Sonny has ever done wrong.

Carly specifically mentioned Dev because Jax knows the whole scam and could drop the dime on Sonny if he chose to. It's supposed to be mutually assured destruction, except Sonny is an idiot and thinks he'll always prevail. (If it were anyone but Jax, I'd say he would, but in this case, there's a tiny bit more suspense. Ingo is around for a while this time.)

• Love 5

Come on Ava! What painting is going to be at the very top of a parapet ...outside? And you should have told Valentin that if you die there are instructions in place for the codicil to be released! Valentin maybe should have checked on the impressive survival rates of Wyndemere falls. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I wish this show would STOP making Laura STOOOID. The shock and continued disbelief that Boris could be alive. It’s gotten BEYOND RIDICULOUS.

Laura should have figured this out ages ago.  After all, both she, her mother, Leslie, AND her other son have come back from the dead.  It's sort of a rite of passage in that family.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

Laura should have figured this out ages ago.  After all, both she, her mother, Leslie, AND her other son have come back from the dead.  It's sort of a rite of passage in that family.

Seriously. I'm like, Laura, girl, most of the people you know have come back from the dead, including you. A little less shock and disbelief, if you please, especially since a body was never found.

I also hope Laura finds time to rip her little prince a new one, no matter how glad she must be that he's alive. I remember the first time he faked his death, she was pretty pissed when she wormed the truth from Spencer, though I don't remember if she ever confronted Nik himself before he was for-realsies-except-not dead. She should also remind him of how hurt and angry he was when she faked her own death when he was a teenager and how devastated they all were when Helena faked Lucky's death.

• Love 4

Sam's suspicious because her parole officer wants to have their first visit AND she got the e-vite to Shiloh's memorial on the same day.  THE TWO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER!  It's like saying "I needed to get gas in my car today and I'm out of milk--WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?"  Shut up, Sam, and go prove what a great Mom you are by immediately letting your P.O. know your kids are, yet again, at their grandmother's.  You're Mom of the Year material, for sure.

Sonny is not only a big baby with his "why didn't you tell me?/You don't trust me!" quiver chin at Carly, but he's a giant hypocrite.  He breaks the law every day, but what, because he was born in this country that's fine? 

I know Ava's going to end up being fine, but dammit, now I can't look at how fabulous she looked! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Not to mention three of her husbands, her grandson, her daughter (kinda), a couple arch-nemeses, and probably countless connections like Carly, Ava, Roy Deluca and Jason Morgan.   

4 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I remember the first time he faked his death, she was pretty pissed when she wormed the truth from Spencer, though I don't remember if she ever confronted Nik himself before he was for-realsies-except-not dead. 

I think she had a little time to light into him on the island just before he "died" again, but by that time TC had exited, so it wasn't as memorable. 

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I noticed the parole officer used their xmas stockings to remind herself of their names.  Kind of like Sam does.

• LOL 5
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just 😂😂🤣🤣 at how empty the room was where the guests were supposed to sit! 

And if Nina was so late, where actually were the other guests? Like Maxie and Peter?

6 hours ago, bannana said:

I noticed the parole officer used their xmas stockings to remind herself of their names.  Kind of like Sam does.

They've done a real hatchet job on Sam.

Sam: I want to be the best mother, I wanna show I can be the best mother, best mother blah blah blah

Parole officer: Where are the kids?

Sam: At their grandmother's.

Me: . . . 

Yesterday was the first show I watched since before Christmas, so I missed whatever scenes she might have had with her "children."

This shit makes me miss Drew even more. They did not show him all that often with Scout, but at least, I knew he lived at the mansion and was a more hands on parent than Sam. 

• Love 9

You know, I never knew that if you're on parole, you're not allowed to drink alcohol. Or is this a GH thing? Just as having your parole officer, who is a CIVILIAN, not a cop in uniform (though I'm not sure if this PO was in uniform), come to your place of residence. It's the PAROLEE, who has to REPORT to the Parole Officer in their place of business.

But of course this FAKAKTA show treats it like Sam's place is being investigated as a home inspection by CPS to make sure she's a good mother. Give me a FUCKING BREAK.🙄

And I couldn't care less so I'm not going to look it up to see if any of what I said is true or not. I'm just going by the many years of watching better cop shows/dramas/movies.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You know, I never knew that if you're on parole, you're not allowed to drink alcohol. Or is this a GH thing?

It depends on the terms of your parole. I don't know about for Sam, but if you're out on parole for DUI or something else you did while drunk, it's pretty standard.

• Love 1

And I couldn't care less so I'm not going to look it up to see if any of what I said is true or not. I'm just going by the many years of watching better cop shows/dramas/movies.

If Orange is the New Black got it right (Piper visiting her parole officer, not the other way around) than I think you, and not the show, got it right. And I everything I know about parolees comes from TV,  but Sam probably can't be a PI because  possessing a fire arm is a parole violation, so I'm guessing living with a hit man is a no-no. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You know, I never knew that if you're on parole, you're not allowed to drink alcohol. Or is this a GH thing? Just as having your parole officer, who is a CIVILIAN, not a cop in uniform (though I'm not sure if this PO was in uniform), come to your place of residence. It's the PAROLEE, who has to REPORT to the Parole Officer in their place of business.

But of course this FAKAKTA show treats it like Sam's place is being investigated as a home inspection by CPS to make sure she's a good mother. Give me a FUCKING BREAK.🙄

Per a legal site, abstaining for alcohol and drugs and submitting to residence searches at any time are both conditions of parole.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
Just now, Cheyanne11 said:

submitting to residence searches at any time

That seems logical to me. I'd think the PO would want to make sure the parolee wasn't lying about their situation, as well as get a feel for how they live. And of course here is was so Sam was reminded what her children's names are, hee.

I don't need to see Sam with her kids all the time (I think the kid actors aren't that great), but it would be nice to hear she spends an afternoon with them every so often. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Valentin maybe should have checked on the impressive survival rates of Wyndemere falls. 

Seriously. I think the only person that method has ever taken out is Katherine Bell, and even that required a practice run. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I'm just now catching up from the holidays but I have to comment on Jane Elliott, she is looking SO Fabulous!  I could only hope to look as good as she does.  The hair is amazing.  Love her, and Tracy.

Sorry to be shallow, and I am not body shaming at all but I really hate the way wardrobe is dressing Brooklyn.  The pleated skirts and large sweaters are shapeless and dumpy looking.  It's not flattering.

Can someone explain Gladys to me?  I stopped watching for a short while.  I she actually related to Sonny and Mike?  Does she know what's going on with Dev?

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Can someone explain Gladys to me?  I stopped watching for a short while.  I she actually related to Sonny and Mike?  Does she know what's going on with Dev?

Gladys Corbin is a relative being paid by Sonny to say that Dev is her dead son's (Brando?) child. 

More here Gladys

• Love 1

I don’t know how it is in the US, but in Canada, parole officers are designated as peace officers. Community parole officers meet regularly with their clients; at the office, at the parolee’s home and work, and even sometimes at a coffee shop (after a residence and workplace check have been done). So the show actually got something right. For once. 

2 minutes ago, Nifer said:

That was an AWESOME cliffhanger!!! I figured either Nicholas or Ava were going to pop in at the last moment but wasn't expecting both. So much soapy fun!!

I was hopeful that they would burst in for a cliffhanger, and I'm glad I wasn't disappointed. I'm sad that Laura *still* didn't suspect Nikolas could be alive. That was a genuinely shocked look I saw, mixed with the tears. 

I kept thinking, Nina is looking around at the what, 10 guests?, as she walked slowly down the aisle and didn't notice/wasn't concerned not to see Ava?! After they've been plotting together and Nina knows Valentin sees Ava as a potential threat? 

Brook is such an immature brat.

Shut up:

Michael. You and Ned are not close and the Qs sure as shit are not worse about the lying than your Corinthos fam. You really are a SLS as @GHScorpiosRule has pointed out. 

Jason and Sam. He is, in fact, a felon as his attorney pointed out and the drama/Sam's tears about breaking up for the kids' sake so Sam doesn't go back to prison....GAG.  Hey Sam, the man you claimed to love and married just a couple years ago was not a felon and you had a happy home. Just sayin.' But...you didn't want to wear a skirt. So there's that.

• Love 5

That last scene with wet Nicholas carried wet Ava into the wedding before Nina said “I do” was priceless. I don’t like Lulu’s hair at all but that dress she was wearing was gorgeous on her. I love GF but she’s dressed so “old lady” and frumpy all of the time. She may not be tall, slender and young but those wardrobe people can make her look a hell of a lot better! And dear God, do something with her hair!!

I would die happy if I never, ever had to see Sam and Jason again for the rest of eternity. DO NOT CARE.

• Love 12

I didn't think this show could shock me, but color me shocked.

I was expecting Ava to walk in all wet and stop the wedding, but I did not expect Nikolas at all to be the one walking in soaking wet carrying her to interrupt the wedding.

Also, how many times must we listen to Val and Nina exchange vows? Enough already, show!

I can't believe Diane has to spell it out for JaSam that they have to be parents first. This stupid story arc is going to be even worst than the one that just ended. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I can't believe Diane has to spell it out for JaSam that they have to be parents first.

Diane is at least the third person who's told them that. Do there have to be legal consequences for that to sink in? The answer is seemingly yes. Good lord.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I can't believe Diane has to spell it out for JaSam that they have to be parents first. This stupid story arc is going to be even worst than the one that just ended. 

But props to the writers for having Diane say what everyone here has been saying -- that Sonny's actions consistently endanger his children.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

That last scene with wet Nicholas carried wet Ava into the wedding before Nina said “I do” was priceless. I don’t like Lulu’s hair at all but that dress she was wearing was gorgeous on her. I love GF but she’s dressed so “old lady” and frumpy all of the time. She may not be tall, slender and young but those wardrobe people can make her look a hell of a lot better! And dear God, do something with her hair!!

I would die happy if I never, ever had to see Sam and Jason again for the rest of eternity. DO NOT CARE.

This show and each regime that she has worked under since her return in 1994 has done this to Genie! Are they afraid her beauty and grace will outshine the SheBeast? As we've seen and I know, Genie is still a very beautiful woman. I don't understand why she Show continuously hides that. They did the same to Kimberly McCullough. Bastards.

And what? Did Nina change her mind about humiliating Valentin? Or was she about to dump him at the altar when Boris showed up with Ava?

• Love 1

Making a splashy "back from the dead" entrance, interrupting Nina and Valentin's wedding, AND rescuing Ava in one fell swoop? *chef's kiss* AMAZING. Thank you, Nikolas, for finally making your return worth the while. 

Although I do have to wonder about the logistics of him being in the right place at the right time to save Ava. I kinda hope he's been skulking around the island right under Valentin's nose while he's been "missing," saw Ava go flying, and decided "fuck it, it's go time." And as excited as I am for the ignition of this Cassadine family feud, Nikolas REALLY better make it a priority to hug his mama and apologize for the grief she's been through. She's owed it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Well done show. That was a glorious cliffhanger.

Why stop at complaining about the governess, china tea set and pony, Lulu?  You live in  a one family multi-bedroom house and Spencer goes to an expensive French boarding school. Go full on communist while you're at it.

3 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Jason and Sam. He is, in fact, a felon as his attorney pointed out and the drama/Sam's tears about breaking up for the kids' sake so Sam doesn't go back to prison....GAG.  Hey Sam, the man you claimed to love and married just a couple years ago was not a felon and you had a happy home. Just sayin.' But...you didn't want to wear a skirt. So there's that.

But Jason is only a felon because he wanted to save Michael. St. Jasus forever.

I was honestly surprised that Diane said that she has always thought that Sonny's children have paid for his decisions. Also, first time I've heard of it from her.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Diane's speech about how Sonny's CHOICES have harmed every one of his children did not go far enough.  She should have told Sam that HER CHOICE of living a mob life with Jason is harming her children.  Sam chose Jason and the mob over Drew and her children and going to prison and being on parole is the consequence of her actions.  

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I didn't think this show could shock me, but color me shocked.

I was expecting Ava to walk in all wet and stop the wedding, but I did not expect Nikolas at all to be the one walking in soaking wet carrying her to interrupt the wedding.

Me too!   And I try to read all the spoilers out there, but I did not see this coming!   I thought for sure that Ava would show up at the parlor door like a drowned rat right at the moment the question was asked about anyone having objections.    I don't know how they kept the Nik reveal under wraps, but they sure did.   I love it!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

That Sonny bought!

He didn't buy it. Someone had the house under contract first and Sonny arranged for the other buyer to relinquish it without telling them.

13 minutes ago, ulkis said:
25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

That Sonny bought!

He didn't buy it. Someone had the house under contract first and Sonny arranged for the other buyer to relinquish it without telling them.

Oh, right. I knew he played a big role in Dante and Lulu getting that house, though. And I think you mean "arranged," LOL.

• LOL 1

Jax showed today what a good and decent man he is.  He hates Valentine with the fire of 1000 suns and is working to bring him down.  Lesser men (Sonny and Jason) would have relished watching Nina destroy Valentine at the altar.  However, Jax thought about Nina's plan would affect her and Charlotte and tried to talk Nina into the long term consequences if she did this in front of Charlotte.  He has no connection to Charlotte but he is thinking of how to protect this little girl.  I wish some of the parents in Port Charles would put their children first....(Sonny, Carly, Jason and Sam).  

• Love 12

Just echoing what everyone else was saying about looking forward to Ava bursting in, and then finding what happened being even better! I am looking forward to finding out whether Ava was planning to do some kind of reveal with Nicolas, with Nina, or both, because they all seemed to have some kind of plan.

I have to admit that I expected for JaSam to be the couple that got hitched on NYE -- that being married would make the probation problem go away, Green Card style. 

LOVED the cliffhanger-y ending!  It was awesome!  I had hoped that would happen, but didn't have any faith that it would.

It's too bad Charlotte didn't see her father shoving Ava off the parapet, though. It would have been an interesting twist to the "papa-in-the-bestest" belief that Charlotte has.

How is it that Lulu is completely fine with Spencer living in the huge house with servants and horses and everything, but is upset that her daughter is living in such lavish circumstances? That wasn't just because she thinks Valentin is awful.

But the Jason-Sam-have-to-be-apart thing? First of all, didn't we have something similar several years ago with Maxie and Nathan? It was boring then, it will be no less boring now. And Jason walked out without taking any clothing with him? I know he doesn't have a lot of variety in his wardrobe, but odds are he has more than 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of socks and 1 pair of shoes.

• Love 2