Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: So Long, Marianne

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, evansmom10 said:

And he's talking to random strangers on the internet about it before his own spouse. LOL. Death knell!!

If they're people he works out with, I wouldn't say they are random strangers. But I agree he shouldn't be dumping his marital woes on them instead of talking to his wife.

On the police taking Rebecca "home"...assuming this is the same cabin they used to go to when the kids were young, she may have remembered the address. Alzheimer's, at least, typically affects short-term memory first. I would think some other forms of dementia do as well. It's not that far in the future so she's probably still in a relatively early stage.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

If they're people he works out with, I wouldn't say they are random strangers. But I agree he shouldn't be dumping his marital woes on them instead of talking to his wife.

On the police taking Rebecca "home"...assuming this is the same cabin they used to go to when the kids were young, she may have remembered the address. Alzheimer's, at least, typically affects short-term memory first. I would think some other forms of dementia do as well. It's not that far in the future so she's probably still in a relatively early stage.

Sorry part of a longer joke, I didn't link it well. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

While I don't know where Kevin's cabin is located, It does look to be out there and probably near a smaller town.  A town where everyone would know that the "Manny" Kevin Pearson has moved into.  They would all know where Kevin lives because they are nosy benches who want the tea as it were.  We see the cops look at Rebecca's California drivers license and remark that she is a long way from LA.  It's not too far of a stretch for the officers to figure out where Rebecca's son lives.  

Perhaps Kevin bought a cabin near Uncle Nicky and gave up the trailer.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought that she might wind up back in Pittsburgh at the site of the burned-down family home,  because that is the address she'd most likely recall.

I was expecting that to be the twist too. But I think the cabin was a better twist.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, nixgirl28 said:

I was expecting that to be the twist too. But I think the cabin was a better twist.

I thought so too but then she'd been in 2 other homes since then and it wasn't her home anymore. Glad it was cabin also. Nice they knew what many would think too. 😉

17 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

ETA:  Sorry to be redundant.  I see the question has been answered multiple times already.

Thank you to everyone for the responses.  I absolutely hate seafood.  I find the smell to be very off-putting, so that's why I was unsure about the shrimp.  I don't eat it.

Also, I agree with all of those who love Kevin and Tess scenes.

I'm wondering if Kevin's finance could be the woman with the red hair.

10 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

So grown up baby Jack is blind but can walk to the table with a platter full of shrimp, and place it on the table with ease? That did not look realistic to me at all.  

That doesn't surprise me.  Lucy and Jack appear to be having a dinner party at their home---a place where Jack is very comfortable.  I'm sure he knows the exact number of steps (or some other reference cue) that it takes to walk to the table.  I'm sure that he knows where the doorway is in his own kitchen, and he does possess some sight.  He's also strong enough to balance a tray full of food.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, evansmom10 said:

And he's talking to random strangers on the internet about it before his own spouse. LOL. Death knell!!

3 HOURS AGO, JKL845 SAID:

Uh-oh, trouble in paradise. How dare you not waiting until she could be there to watch you eat. You know how important it is!

JKL845 and EVANSMOM10: Not to worry. 
First off, my wife is the one who made the joke about my not waiting.  We both laughed and I told her I was going to post her comment.

Secondly, "he" is not talking to random strangers.  We're both women.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

Thank you to everyone for the responses.  I absolutely hate seafood.  I find the smell to be very off-putting, so that's why I was unsure about the shrimp.  I don't eat it.

Solidarity, my friend! Other than the very occasional tuna sandwich (I have to really be in the mood for it, and only if I or my mom makes it, because she knows the right ratio of mayo-celery-onion [little, lots, and some, respectively], and with lots of lettuce...basically I need crunchy stuff to distract me from the fishness) I don't eat seafood and can't stand the smell of cooked fish.

Random thought...do people with young Jack's level of sight (light and shadows and not much else) ever get headaches from eye strain? Or are their eyes just adjusted to what they're used to seeing and don't "try" (like when I take my glasses off for too long...I can see well enough without them but I start feeling it after a few minutes). I'm assuming the latter, given how our brains adapt to stuff, but it crossed my mind.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, greekmom said:

I really don't get it.  I have had 2 children and they are WAY overdoing the importance of seeing baby Jack actually eat his first solid food. Plus first solid foods babies eat isn't avacados or jar baby food but cereal with breast or formula milk.  Then they move onto tasting mushed fruits, veggies and meat.  Seriously, both Toby and Kate are making a WAY big deal out of this.  What happens when baby Jack walks for the first time which is an important milestone.  A marching band and cake? 

Actually, some pediatricians now reccomend kids start with vegetables and fruits rather than cereals.  My guy started with mushy zucchini and carrots. 

• Love 2

I'm just very curious about how we got Kate and Toby on a plane with their blind infant and not get any scenes from how that happened. Were they in first class? How did Kate slide in to a window seat?I feel like the show skipped an opportunity there. That said, Kate seeing Toby's phone was good. It was low-key but effective. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, marceline said:

I'm just very curious about how we got Kate and Toby on a plane with their blind infant and not get any scenes from how that happened. Were they in first class? How did Kate slide in to a window seat?I feel like the show skipped an opportunity there. That said, Kate seeing Toby's phone was good. It was low-key but effective. 

This is true.  TLC programs on obese people frequently portrays the perils of obese passengers on commercial airlines.  And, it would be a huge deal for Kate. Definitely two seats if economy, perhaps in first class too.  And, I do not believe that she would be able to use the restroom on the plane....so, I'd think she would be more focused on those things than bursting Toby's bubble. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, marceline said:

Were they in first class? How did Kate slide in to a window seat?I feel like the show skipped an opportunity there. T

It appeared that they had a row of three seats for the two of them (since Jack would be an infant-on-lap). She probably needed to book two seats for herself.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

So mark me down as someone who is totally confused by Rebecca's decision to go see a 3 1/2 hour movie alone on Thanksgiving! If she wanted to do that, why wouldn't her husband go with her? Did she walk there? If she wanted to get away from Randall, why didn't she just take a walk around the block or go lay down in her room? Just seemed very extra of her.

I noticed that when they showed that she left her phone behind in the grocery store, she was getting a call from Randall. Wonder if that means it's only Kevin who is not speaking to him. 

I actually thought Tess might end up posting Kevin as her celebrity crush :)

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

So mark me down as someone who is totally confused by Rebecca's decision to go see a 3 1/2 hour movie alone on Thanksgiving! If she wanted to do that, why wouldn't her husband go with her? Did she walk there? If she wanted to get away from Randall, why didn't she just take a walk around the block or go lay down in her room? Just seemed very extra of her.

I noticed that when they showed that she left her phone behind in the grocery store, she was getting a call from Randall. Wonder if that means it's only Kevin who is not speaking to him. 

I actually thought Tess might end up posting Kevin as her celebrity crush 🙂

Maybe Miguel hates De Niro. 

• LOL 6

She probably needed to book two seats for herself.

Kate booked two seats for herself when she flew to Randall's for the first Thanksgiving we saw. She was walking down the aisle and the lady in the window seat gave her a snotty look. She said "don't worry, I bought both these seats." Then the flight attendant arrived with her seat-belt extender. Kate has the flying thing down to a science. She is very pragmatic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Blackie said:

Why on earth would she want to go to a movie when all that company was coming, especially that cute baby.

She lives near Kate, and sees baby Jack all the time, and Tess is busy being a teenager. She could certainly spend time with Annie, but I think she really wanted to get away from Randall.

This isn't even showing at the regular movie chains, at least not here in Canada. So unless they have a specialty theatre in walking distance.  For me, I would have to go to downtown Toronto, and first book tickets online, which we tried to do and the system wasn't working. 

It's showing right now in my town, which isn't a big city.

Have you seen the show "What We Do in the Shadows"?  The vampires were looking for virgins and one place they thought would be good was a crossfit gym, because all they do there is talk about crossfit!!

Yes!  Great reference!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Re:Jack’s first avocado from Gregory, Kate cut the avocado, so to me, she gave permission to Gregory to give it to Jack, rather than try the banana he’d rejected earlier.

Didn't she think she was cutting it for Gregory to eat? I sure did.

20 hours ago, Jillybean said:

In the flash-forward to the 40th birthday, she somehow wandered far away to find a bakery and ended up buying roses instead, before treating herself to some Chinese food and being driven back to the cabin by the police officer. She must have known the location of the cabin, or somehow someone found the phone number there. My question is: wouldn't Rebecca know Miguel's phone number, even if she needs to refer to her phone for other numbers? She referred to not knowing "my son's" (Kevin's, as it turned out) number because it was stored in her lost phone. There are certain numbers I know without needing to refer to my phone, but maybe that's part of her dementia.

I stopped learning phone numbers when I got a cell phone. I used to know everyone's landlines when I had to actually dial them, but the only cellphone number I know by heart is my own.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It really does seem like Randall may disagree with the course of treatment with Rebecca and that's where the falling out occurs. 

19 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I am in the camp who thinks that the rift between kevin and Randall is caused by disagreement over their mother's care.  I note that, in the long-game flash forward, her deathbed was in Kevin's house, not in a care center. Then again, they could have placed her in a care facility and she came home to family to die

I agree that's the most likely scenario, that Randall can't defer to Miguel making decisions for Rebecca,  and Kevin sides with Miguel. 

A far less likely option is that Kevin's pregnant fiance is Shauna. That would not sit well with Randall.

18 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Aren't hot dogs and cheese also part of the Pearson Thanksgiving tradition?  I could've sworn Russell Randall referenced hot dogs when he went into the kitchen.

Yes, from the Pilgrim Rick episode when the car broke down and the family wound up in a creepy cabin and the only food Jack could buy was hot dogs and American cheese, to add to their stash of saltines:

"So, we are going to skewer our hot dogs and then we’re going to roast them in an open furnace flame. And once they get all toasty and warm, we’re going to wrap them in cheese and then roll it in crushed up crackers. Thanksgiving cheese dogs."

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Zero260 said:

The producers goofed on this one. Rebecca is shown wearing fall clothing including a trench coat, and the man she mistook for William was wearing a heavy fall sweater. Yet supposedly this took place nine months ahead in August 2020 per the date on the police report Kate signed. But that’s ok, I loved the twist, and didn’t think about it until later anyway. 

But the 40th birthday get together is at the Poconos cottage, right?  It's pretty chilly up in the Poconos by Labor Day weekend, which is when the B3's birthday is. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

We established that it was back in PA, not LA, when the cops commented how far from home (LA) she was and she said she was out here visiting family.  Why was Kate in PA?  Was it just for their b-day? If they are in PA, why wasn't Nicky at the party? (Wait, where is Nicky's trailer?  Close to Philly or hours away?) 

The cabin is in the Poconos  -which is in far NE Pennsylvania people and where Uncle Nicky lives is waaayyyyyy western PA, like bordering Ohio. Probably at least 5-6 hours away. 

Honestly, given that they are in the Poconos at Labor Day, the trench doesn't alarm me. What does is that there's supposedly a park and a walkable Chinese place somewhere close to a cabin in the Poconos. My family has one and trust me, you don't walk anywhere but to your neighbors' houses. At least where our cabin is, anyway, but the Poconos is pretty folksy. 

I went back to watch some missed scenes from last night and noticed that when Rebecca is in the Chinese restaurant panicking about losing her phone, she says she needs to call "her son". This show uses a lot of subtle ambiguity to throw off the viewer. Since Randall had been calling her frequently during the Philly Thanksgiving day out, they want us to think she's looking to call Randall when she gets lost at the Chinese restaurant. Really, she's in the Poconos somewhere trying to get to the cabin where Kate & Kevin are celebrating. We find out that Kevin (maybe everyone?) isn't talking to Randall. 

I think that when Rebecca is saying she needs to call her son, she's actually talking about Kevin. 

Edited by HollyGoLitely333
Condensing accidental multiple posts.
  • Love 5

I went back to watch some missed scenes from last night and noticed that when Rebecca is in the Chinese restaurant panicking about losing her phone, she says she needs to call "her son". This show uses a lot of subtle ambiguity to throw off the viewer. Since Randall had been calling her frequently during the Philly Thanksgiving day out, they want us to think she's looking to call Randall when she gets lost at the Chinese restaurant. Really, she's in the Poconos somewhere trying to get to the cabin where Kate & Kevin are celebrating. We find out that Kevin (maybe everyone?) isn't talking to Randall. 

I think that when Rebecca is saying she needs to call her son, she's actually talking about Kevin. 

• Love 3
On 11/20/2019 at 1:04 AM, chocolatine said:

It looks like Kevin is living somewhere rural and East Coast-y in the nine-month flash-forward. Madison is very much an LA girl, and present-day Kevin is also based there, so if Madison was the baby mama, they would most likely have stayed LA, especially with Kate/Toby and Rebecca/Miguel nearby. I think the flash-forward is in Bradford, PA, and the baby mama is Cassidy. Cassidy wouldn't want to move too far away from her older son.

So present-day Rebecca told Randall she would see a doctor, and if she did, I would assume she got a diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimers. Yet, nine months later, with the disease presumably progressing, her husband and children let her wander off by herself in an unfamiliar place? Without even putting a smartwatch on her wrist in case she misplaces her phone, or putting notes with everyone's phone numbers and addresses in her purse? 

BigMig45! 😂

I noticed that Randall is now driving a Volvo instead of the $140k paid-for-in-cash Mercedes he used to be so fond of. I guess that was supposed to be another symbol of the "downsizing".

On Twitter they had a close up of the police report with a stamp saying "Bethlehem Pennsylvania Police Department" about an hour and a half or so north of Philadelphia. I now live squarely between the two. 

I wondered if it was the Pocono home? The one they went up to sell on the season one episode The Trip. I guess one could say the Poconos begin just north of Bethlehem? 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

Within all the commentary about this episode, your neutropenia jumped out at me. I never heard of that. I looked it up. BROS402 I hope all goes well for you. And Happy Thanksgiving.

I should be okay - getting blood draws every 2-4 weeks to see when my second line chemo will start up, but this cancer won't kill me. It doesn't typically kill people. It's a chronic leukemia that can't form tumors, so I at least have that going for me. You have a happy Thanksgiving too.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Google told me 2 hours and 8 minutes from Alpine to Philly (but that might have been factoring then-current traffic and I don't remember what time it was when I looked the other day). Never taken the Turnpike on Thanksgiving, but we take the Parkway to Manchester and that's never fun (or there's another way without too much traffic but more deer); takes about an hour.

I set google maps to just a random weekday and leaving at like 12 PM - and what I said is what it gave me, unless Maps decided to mess with me 😛

We take the Parkway up to 129 (Something near there) and then go south on the Turnpike from there to get down to Cherry Hill - it's always going South that takes the most. I guess people aren't heading into NYC on Thanksgiving at noon? 😛

Edited by bros402
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was mystified by this and think it was a production goof. Why were there two different houses?

4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It's showing right now in my town, which isn't a big city.

What is showing?

15 hours ago, Jillybean said:
18 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's hard for me to care about any marital problem between Kate and Toby when Kate is such an underwritten character and I feel like the writers are doing a 180 on Toby's character.  Why is Kate alone with Jack all the time--Is it because Toby is obsessed with Crossfit and prioritizes that over his marriage?  Is it because Kate does not want to leave Jack?  Is Toby giving Kate the opportunity to leave the house for a few hours on an Saturday to spend time on her herself?  Is Kate still friends with Madison?  What kind of support system does Kate actually have?

The writers aren't doing the work for this storyline to make any sense.  It's almost like they decided "well Rebecca and Jack had marital problems in season 2, Randall and Beth in season 3, so for Season 4 it's Kate and Toby's turn."  

On another note, Griffin Dunne is killing it.  

Kate's alone a lot because Toby works full-time and Kate's a SAHM.

What on earth is SAHM?

On 11/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, sigmaforce86 said:

There are going to be a lot of WTF reactions to the future plot with that 9 month time jump near the end but for me the biggest was the quickest moment - Kate signed that police form with the last name Pearson.  In just nine months?  That is huge, very much need to know what the deal is going to be with that.

I don't get it at all, and I'm in the TV business. There were two different houses, two different plots, it seems to have been a massive production error.

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I'm wondering if Kevin's finance could be the woman with the red hair.

I hope not,  she was such a pushy fan girl type, wanting to jump in bed with Kevin the minute she saw his muscles.  I want Kevin to thunderbolt over a nice woman and then pursue her the way his father did over his mother.  This show needs more romance and less sadness!

5 hours ago, HollyGoLitely333 said:

That's what I was thinking. Poor Rebecca, she really should have phone numbers on a bracelet or necklace as well as tucked into her purse.  Of course she might forget she's not speaking to Randall and call him, which would be good. I just hate the not speaking business.  Both of my brothers and my father were prone to that.  One brother hadn't spoken to my father in thirty years and didn't go to either of my parents funerals because of that.  Then by the time he himself died he and my other brother weren't speaking and there was no funeral at all.  I wont go along with such childish behavior and just pick up the phone and call them all (even after they've said awful things to me) and talk about the other ones like they still care (which I know they do.) 

It made for some skimpy Christmas dinners at my house when each one refused to come if the other was coming and it looks like the Pearsons are headed that way. I can not imagine anything Randall will do that will deserve being shut out of the birthday celebration.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I agree that's the most likely scenario,  that Randall can't defer to Miguel making decisions for Rebecca,  and Kevin sides with Miguel. 

That could very well be.  Although let's face it, Miguel isn't keeping close enough tabs on Rebecca if she is wandering Bethlehem, PA alone.  Luckily she encountered kind people and the police got her home.  We get silver alerts in my area kind of frequently and it doesn't always end well. 

32 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

It made for some skimpy Christmas dinners at my house when each one refused to come if the other was coming and it looks like the Pearsons are headed that way. I can not imagine anything Randall will do that will deserve being shut out of the birthday celebration.

It will make for some high Pearson drama at some point, but in the end we know that he seems to be on easy enough terms with the family when they meet at Rebecca's death bed.  In that flashforward we did not see him interact with the absent Kate or Kevin, but he did ask his nephew where Kevin was and greeted Toby warmly.  Randall being Randall, he might show up at the cabin birthday celebration unannounced. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She lives near Kate, and sees baby Jack all the time, and Tess is busy being a teenager. She could certainly spend time with Annie,

That Baby is so damn cute, I wouldn't miss a second with him even if I lived in the same town, no Grandma I know would. They could have had her go for a walk or something with Annie (also the cutest and under used) and then they get lost or something, or Annie could even realize that something is up with Grandma. I guess that wouldn't work out with the fakeout they were setting up. Have her play a little card game with Annie, this was the first sign with my MIL, she couldn't grasp the concept of a very easy card game, and then just go for a walk. Sorry still can't get over going to the movie thing, almost as bad as Rebecca tromping around the city after William a short time after giving birth to triplets.  Sometimes these writers just get it wrong.

Edited by Blackie
eta and spacing
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

It will make for some high Pearson drama at some point, but in the end we know that he seems to be on easy enough terms with the family when they meet at Rebecca's death bed.  I

Was Miguel there?  I just remember it was Nikki sitting at her bed.

Didnt she think she was cutting it for Gregory to eat? I sure did.

Yep.

I stopped learning phone numbers when I got a cell phone. I used to know everyone's landlines when I had to actually dial them, but the only cellphone number I know by heart is my own.

I know my own cell phone and my parents' landline (which is the same number since we moved into that house when I was 2 years old). That's about it. I don't even know my own landline.

6 hours ago, bros402 said:

We take the Parkway up to 129 (Something near there) and then go south on the Turnpike from there to get down to Cherry Hill - it's always going South that takes the most. I guess people aren't heading into NYC on Thanksgiving at noon? 😛

Had to google which exit 129 is; that's near my where brother lives. I'm a bit south from there.

9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Didnt she think she was cutting it for Gregory to eat? I sure did.

Yes, she was cutting Gregory's avocados for him because he couldn't. There was no indication that the baby had anything to do with it until Gregory announced that he was giving a piece of his avocado to Jack.

And then Kate dismissively said something like, "He's not going to eat it." That would strongly suggest that she wasn't cutting it for Jack.

8 hours ago, HollyGoLitely333 said:

But the 40th birthday get together is at the Poconos cottage, right?  It's pretty chilly up in the Poconos by Labor Day weekend, which is when the B3's birthday is. 

Bethlehem isn't up in the mountains, though. It isn't even in the Poconos. My sister went to college a town over, and in late August, when the Big Three's birthday is, there was definitely never anyone dressed in trench coats.

(The city of Bethlehem actually bought some land in the Poconos recently, but that's a publicly owned reservoir.)

• Love 3
On 11/19/2019 at 10:47 PM, Diana Berry said:

I think Kevin will get with Kate’s friend... the cute blonde.  She already knows the family and their quirks and she wasn’t star struck by Kevin

Ooh, nice one, Diana Berry.  Interesting guess.  And since Madison is played by Caitlin Thompson who just happens to be the real life wife of This is Us' show writer and creator Dan Fogelman, I could totally see this happening.  Merely because of this fact. 

Yes, Kevin, Uncle Nicky is cute.  And so are you.  And the two of you together are cuteness overload.

To the posters using Russell Randall, I ❤️ you.  It's killing me every time.  😂

• Love 7

Couple of things:
1. The phone that confused Rebecca left in the grocery store said "Randall" as they showed it sitting at the check-out. So, when Kevin said "we're not speaking" I think he was referring to him or him and Kate and not necessarily Rebecca.

2. We have been known to split up over the course of TGiving Day, but no way Grandma goes off by herself or isn't with some major portion of the crew. I know that it was for the big plot twist, but it was not true to life OR this show.

3. Seriously, where was Miguel at the cabin?

4. The scenes with Nicky and Jack were wonderful and the actors playing Nicky, both Michael Angarano (who was young William Miller in Almost Famous) and particular Griffin Dunne are killing it and I mean killing it. Tough to top Nicky's line about looking like a Viagra ad.

5. Dallas did tie San Francisco 24-24 on Thanksgiving day 1969.

6. Kevin having a pregnant fiance 9 months after Thanksgiving makes me very concerned that it is Cassidy. I really, really thought he was going to leave her be and let her heal with her family, but this timeline is getting awfully condensed. Otherwise, it is someone else we know and I really, really hope he leaves Sophie alone.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, AriAu said:

3. Seriously, where was Miguel at the cabin?

Miguel was at the cabin when the police escorted Rebecca back.  While Kate was signing the paperwork, he was sitting with Rebecca on the couch holding hands.  He looked just as shaken as Rebecca about what happened.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I don't see why it's so much more realistic that Cassidy would be the fiance and not someone he met soon after Thanksgiving.  It would only be a difference of knowing Cassidy a few months longer than the second woman.  If he dated the new woman for nine months and she is three months (most common morning sickness month) pregnant at the birthday party he might have proposed after they found out she was pregnant.  That all seems pretty normal to me.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Otherwise, it is someone else we know and I really, really hope he leaves Sophie alone.

The only one I hope it's not more than Sophie is Zoe who magically changed her mind about having babies. Not a big fan of Madison either. I'd be okay with someone new, or with Cassidy if she and her husband both realized they were just two different people than the high-school sweethearts they were.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Miguel was at the cabin when the police escorted Rebecca back.  While Kate was signing the paperwork, he was sitting with Rebecca on the couch holding hands.  He looked just as shaken as Rebecca about what happened.  

I just watched this scene again. When Rebecca comes in, she says 'I hope I didn't ruin your whole party', which suggests it had already happened. Kevin says they had been 'calling non-stop', but really, if she was gone that long, would they not have been out looking for her themselves?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I just watched this scene again. When Rebecca comes in, she says 'I hope I didn't ruin your whole party', which suggests it had already happened. Kevin says they had been 'calling non-stop', but really, if she was gone that long, would they not have been out looking for her themselves?

I would assume one of them was while someone stayed back at the cabin.  We were not shown any of that because of the misdirection the writers chose to do in this episode.  We were only shown scenes of Rebecca in August 2020 and not the rest of the family.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would assume one of them was while someone stayed back at the cabin.  We were not shown any of that because of the misdirection the writers chose to do in this episode.  We were only shown scenes of Rebecca in August 2020 and not the rest of the family.

Maybe, but considering Russell Randall wasn't there, I'd expect that at least one of her children or her husband would be out there looking, especially with this family. ETA: and they were all three there when the police brought her home.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Maybe, but considering Russell Randall wasn't there, I'd expect that at least one of her children or her husband would be out there looking, especially with this family.

Yes to this.  The cabin is in a woodsy area, she was on foot, right?  Must have been some walk to an area with what looked like a town square, a grocery store and Chinese restaurant.  Lots of places to start looking.  Plus woods.  I'd say one person at the cabin, the rest out looking.  Calling non-stop, not enough, there's a reason she's not answering. These people may all be in a lot of denial (minus Randall, but he might have kept the secret for awhile).

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Yes to this.  The cabin is in a woodsy area, she was on foot, right?  Must have been some walk to an area with what looked like a town square, a grocery store and Chinese restaurant.

I recall that when the family was at the cabin before, Jack and Kate walked to the ice cream parlor, so it's not far from civilization.

• Love 7

So, I'm hoping that the reason Kevin said they're not talking is that Randall is having some major health crisis like a heart issue that really freaks Rebecca out, whereas when they say they're not speaking, she just lectures a bit about being better siblings.