Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Other than a video clip from a certain podcast, Coach Mike was not seen today like I predicted; however, both sons were mentioned ("MySonJay's show The Doctors is filmed where Soul Train used to be" at the beginning, followed later on by "MySonJordan is also a musician.")

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Other than a video clip from a certain podcast, Coach Mike was not seen today like I predicted; however, both sons were mentioned ("MySonJay's show The Doctors is filmed where Soul Train used to be" at the beginning, followed later on by "MySonJordan is also a musician.")

And that was HOW MANY YEARS AGO?  Guess what--the civil war was probably fought on the property where I now reside.

• LOL 5

OMG, why did the woman with agoraphobia decide to have more babies with her illness so out of control?  I really have to wonder about her husband, too.  I'm very sorry for her, but I just don't understand.

Of course, her situation is perfect for "Dr. on Demand."  More and more it seems he chooses his guests based on which of his products (including "Coach" Mike) he can plug.

• Love 5

If she never leaves the house then make-up, nice clothes, fake lashes, penciled on brows, eyeliner, painted fingernails would not be necessary. So apparently she got all dolled up for Dr. Phil and Mysonjay (and us, the viewers). How very thoughtful of her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

OMG, why did the woman with agoraphobia decide to have more babies with her illness so out of control?  I really have to wonder about her husband, too.  I'm very sorry for her, but I just don't understand.

Of course, her situation is perfect for "Dr. on Demand."  More and more it seems he chooses his guests based on which of his products (including "Coach" Mike) he can plug.

Then there was the second story with a woman who refurbished vacant houses for domestic  violence victims that turned into a pimping session for the When Georgia Smiled app and Kristen Bell's Hello Bello products for babies that MySonJay has a part of (or else it probably wouldn't be mentioned on the show at all).

On the bright side, we'll be getting a catfish two-part episode on Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Then there was the second story with a woman who refurbished vacant houses for domestic  violence victims that turned into a pimping session for the When Georgia Smiled app and Kristen Bell's Hello Bello products for babies that MySonJay has a part of (or else it probably wouldn't be mentioned on the show at all).

On the bright side, we'll be getting a catfish two-part episode on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Yes, I saw that and was even more disgusted by the whole episode.  

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Thanks for the info! Dr. Phil catfish shows are the only time I watch!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I like the catfish shows, Facebook liars and people who think their married to celebrities.

And these are celebrities (like Tyler Perry) who need to borrow money.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Next week: Catfish, drunk parents in denial and another "ripped from the headlines" story.

5/13: M.I.A., Drunk and in Denial: Worst Grandmother of the Year?

Nikki and Paige claim their mother, Leigh, is an alcoholic who has "gone missing" at least 40 times, abandoned them as teens in a foreclosed home without electricity or running water, and is drunk around her grandchildren. (Originally scheduled to air on February 27th)

5/14: My Family Thinks I'm Being Scammed -- I Love Louise: Help Me Bring Her Home From Berlin!

Ralph says he is eager to meet his beautiful online girlfriend, "Louise," who has been stuck overseas in Berlin for more than eight months; he has done everything he can think of to help her get home and has spent more than $150,000 doing so.

5/15: Finding Louise: Love Scam or Real Love?

Dr. Phil continues his global investigation to help unite Ralph with his online girlfriend, "Louise," who has been stuck in Berlin for the past eight months, and takes a deeper look at the German government letters that Ralph says she received.

5/16: Meddling Daughters or Drunk, Predator Dad in Denial?

Lying about jobs, acting inappropriately with young women, getting DUIs and being passed out drunk -- that's how Brittany, Brandi and Brooklyn describe their father, Lance, and confront him.

5/17: Impostor Poses as Missing Boy: Where Is the Real Timmothy Pitzen?

Six-year-old Timmothy Pitzen's mother took him on a road trip, then committed suicide, leaving behind a note saying Timmothy was safe and would never be found; years later, an impostor told police he was Timmothy, whose father and aunt speak out.

• Love 1

Definitely will watch the catfish episodes.  Actually will probably watch all of them mentioned, although the drunk/drugged etc episodes I usually FF through.

Surely the person that thought she would die if she left her house and had kids like a litter of puppies went to the hospital to deliver?  Or had prenatal checkups?  Maybe mysonjay's Dr. on Demand does video check ups and deliveries?

On Dave Ramsey podcast yesterday a young lady (early 20s) was trying to get her "boyfriend" to the U.S.  I think she said he was from the Philippines but I need to check on that.  He could not speak English and she had seen him 4 times.  She said they were getting married.   It's amazing how women/men fall for this.  He did attempt to warn her.

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Surely the person that thought she would die if she left her house and had kids like a litter of puppies went to the hospital to deliver?  Or had prenatal checkups?  Maybe mysonjay's Dr. on Demand does video check ups and deliveries?

Dr. on Demand CC: "Hold your phone lower, ma'am … another 6" lower … now insert your home speculum so I can see how dilated your cervix is … "

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Surely the person that thought she would die if she left her house and had kids like a litter of puppies went to the hospital to deliver?  Or had prenatal checkups?

She had said at the beginning that she only left the house to see a doctor when she was ready to give birth, so no checkups whatsoever (which sounds a little like child neglect to me).

• Love 1

I'm not even bothering to watch Dr. Phil these days.  Even the catfish episodes don't tempt me like they used to.

It's all the same.  No matter the dire issue or crazy guest it's all the same. And so tightly controlled so Phil doesn't look foolish.  It often seems like he's reading from a prompter or receiving info in his ear mic.  He goes blank for seconds at a time.

And I really wish the guests weren't all 'tarted' up for the show.  It makes it seem even more fake than it is.

The show needs a complete new revamp and different chairs for the guests too.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

I'm not even bothering to watch Dr. Phil these days.  Even the catfish episodes don't tempt me like they used to.

It's all the same.  No matter the dire issue or crazy guest it's all the same. And so tightly controlled so Phil doesn't look foolish.  It often seems like he's reading from a prompter or receiving info in his ear mic.  He goes blank for seconds at a time.

And I really wish the guests weren't all 'tarted' up for the show.  It makes it seem even more fake than it is.

The show needs a complete new revamp and different chairs for the guests too.

And a different host.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love the catfish shows for selfish reasons -- it gives me life to see these foolish men and women sit there and tell Phil how they love and trust the person that is emptying their bank account.  Today we meet Ralph, who is a 70+ widower who sent over $150K within 5 months time to his "GF" in Berlin.  This man has never spoken to his GF - they only text or email.  He only mumbled lamely when Phil asked him why he didn't arrange to Skype and other things to confirm the GF even exists.  This was a love scam and one where the scammer tells that they have a huge payday coming to them, which kept the catfishee thinking they would recoup their money AND gain a partner in the end.  So deep in denial... I love it.

ADDED:  I was watching as I typed this; just found out it's a 2-parter.  Tom'w they send detective to Germany to try and track the GF down.

Edited by patty1h
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Watching this episode now.  This man seems very nice and there must be dozens of women in close proximity that would love to spend time with him.  Hell, I would even though he is a little out of my age range.  But looking at the pictures they have of this ‘woman’ he is clearly looking to fish out of his own pond.  Just like a man, wanting the younger ones.  And now he doesn’t have enough money to attract a gold digger in his own area.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, Lifesabeach said:

Watching this episode now.  This man seems very nice and there must be dozens of women in close proximity that would love to spend time with him.  Hell, I would even though he is a little out of my age range.  But looking at the pictures they have of this ‘woman’ he is clearly looking to fish out of his own pond.  Just like a man, wanting the younger ones.  And now he doesn’t have enough money to attract a gold digger in his own area.  

Now he doesn't have enough money to attract ANYONE. Not even another catfisher!

• Love 4

Usually I laugh at the catfish episodes, but I actually genuinely felt bad for this guy. I do think it takes a certain level of stupid to feed into this. I mean seriously, I understand the feeling of being lonely, but sending hundreds of thousands of dollars to someone you've never even spoken to on the phone? I don't think there are any viable excuses for that. But I felt bad for him because he wasn't just some creep looking for a younger woman. He was married for 51 years and all he knows is being married and having a companion and he seemed genuinely clueless about how anyone could be a scammer. The fact that he has no money left is sad but I guess you reap what you sow and he had to learn the hard way unfortunately.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm convinced that the catfish victims they show are so deluded, that even though the love object is shown to be a fraud, that the victim would sent even more money if they could.   

There is one from several years ago, where the adult daughter brought her mother on the show, after mom had sent every penny she owned to the catfish.     Dr. Phil, and his minions showed everything about the person was fake, that the photo and the story were faked, and the woman claimed she believed he was a fake.   However, I bet she was sending whatever was left before she hit the parking lot.   

The look on her daughter's face was classic, when the woman admitted virtually every penny was gone, and she would need somewhere to live in her retirement.   Since she sold the family house and sent all of the money to her boyfriend.  My guess is mom is living somewhere besides the guest room at the daughter's house.      I doubt very few of the catfish victims stop sending money, unless they find another catfish to steal from them.    I think a lot of these people are so lonely they'll believe anything.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

What was also sad was his unawareness (or unwillingness to admit) regarding how much he had sent her.  He has pretty much sent her all of the money has has.  His only remaining significant asset might be his house/car.

His kids need to get title to BOTH.  Now.  

• Love 3
(edited)

This fellow, like Dennis, does not seem like a stupid person, and it's interesting (terribly sad) how his loneliness overcame every kind of sense he surely had had for the last several decades.  The signs were all there (starting with the requests for money, but after that the principal one to me was the pile of letters from the "German government" written in English and demanding US dollars).    

As with earlier episodes, I'm always thinking of the days after the taping -- when day in & day out for months they have at least had texts coming in saying "I miss you My Love", "How are you Honey" ..  some indication that there's somebody out there who loves you ..  and now not only is that person proven to be fictional, but there's a great gap of no loving affirmations every day.  That must be awfully hard.  

As said above, this seems like such a nice man, and essentially a smart one.   Poor guy.   I hope Dennis, in addition to his family, stays in touch and gives him some support.

Edited by Chippings
spelling
  • Love 5

Did anyone catch the look on Plastic Robin’s face at the end of the show? She was fuming! For a second there, I thought her fillers were going to melt. How dare Phillp hawk another “skin care” line other than hers!!! Even her Botox mouth was in a frown.  

• Love 3

Ooohhh, oooohhhh, oooohhh. I knew this would  be sad.   But he wasn’t shocked or even surprised.  Me thinks these may have been actors, felt that way the longer it went on.  But that would be a good thing because I will say it again, he seems like a really nice man.

And Thanks Oldcrone!  I had to sit thru 10-12 iminutes of the bs about the  nonrobin product for winkles to see the cold look from R to P.

But it was worth it❣️  Her mouth was twisting in a not too natural manner. 😈

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Oldcrone said:

Did anyone catch the look on Plastic Robin’s face at the end of the show? She was fuming! For a second there, I thought her fillers were going to melt. How dare Phillp hawk another “skin care” line other than hers!!! Even her Botox mouth was in a frown.  

I changed channels before the skin care segment. Sorry I missed it since it wasn't Robin's products! 😁 

I don't think these were actors on the catfish episode. Unfortunately there are so many lonely people out there (young but mostly old) desperate to fill a void in their heart and life so they fall for anything. 

Dr. Phil used to be part owner of Match.com (IIRC) so why not find some potential dates for these older folks who are the victims of a catfishing scam?

I know most of these folks are broke after giving away their money but Phil should be able to come up with suitable dates for these people. 

• Love 1

Sent this text to my daughter right after the show was over (hubby and I are 78 and 72):

"This is a TOTALLY SERIOUS request. Dad and I have been watching ANOTHER elderly catfish victim on Dr. Phil. If the day comes when one of us is alone, PLEASE log into our bank accounts once a week or so to make sure that we are not sending large amounts of money to someone who is stuck in Germany or Nigeria. It's hard to believe that people are this stupid, but we see so much of it that we have to believe it happens. BUT NOT TO US!!!"

She sent back a "Like" icon . . . she'll be watching.

Parenthetically (it's great to be old and still able to mess with people a little), I put this on my Facebook yesterday.

"Is this a lie I'm going to have to answer for?

Phone rings. It's those people from the "Auto Service Warranty Department" who want me to renew the warranty on our car (and they named the make and model).

Me: "Oh, we don't have that car any more."

Her: "Oh. What kind of car do you have now?"

Me: "We're up in years, so our kids took away our car keys."

Her: "Oh, you don't have a car at all? I'm sorry. We'll take you off our list."

If THIS works, I'll let you know. Nothing else has!!!!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I felt so bad for the catfish gent.  He seemed to take it well.  I'd be fuming - all that hard earned money gone to a bunch of scammers.  They be bleeping like crazy if it had been me.

I found Phil's comment interesting - the scammers leave in the spelling and grammar mistakes as a test to see if the victim is lonely and desperate enough to overlook.

It  boggles my mind that this is still going on as we speak despite all the warnings.  An elderly lady on our local TV news received a call from her 'grandson' who was in dire trouble and she was told to wire money to a name.  Which she did right away. TWICE in fact.  Before phoning her daughter and learning her grandson was just fine.  Why wouldn't she phone her daughter right away?  It boggles the mind.  She said she panicked and was instructed to wire the money immediately .

• Love 1
(edited)

The grandchild scam has morphed into a phony attorney or doctor calling the grandparent, saying your grandchild is sick/in jail/kidnapped, and the first thing the grandparent says is the child's name.     After that they use the name the victim said, and start spinning their phony story.     

The most ridiculous part of the people getting scammed, is that the older ones admit they've given every cent, and more to these scammers, and now expect someone to finance their retirement.    I may be a b-word, but my mother impoverishes herself to pay some scammer everything, or finances my loser siblings until she's broke, then I'm not fixing that.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

About five years ago my nonagenarian MIL got the grandchild scam call, but didn't bite. If it happened today, I don't think she'd know it's a scam. But she 1) doesn't hear the phone ring 2) usually has a caretaker around and 3) wouldn't know how to wire money, access bank accounts or acquire gift cards.

While loneliness may be the driving force in ignoring red flags in these catfish cases, greed also plays a part. "I have millions in the US, so we can live in luxury after you get me out of this jam...." 

• Love 2
(edited)

Next week: two two-part episodes and yet another true crime story.

5/20: I Think My Husband Is Cheating, and I Have Proof

Angie has installed surveillance cameras all around her home, and after watching hours of footage, she says she sees images of her husband with someone else and hears a woman's voice; Dr. Phil sees the video; the reputed "other woman" speaks out.

5/21: Angie's Demands: DNA Test, a Polygraph or a Confession: Is Joe Cheating?

Joe says his wife, Angie, won't let him out of her sight, because she's convinced herself that he's having an affair with a 21-year-old friend of their daughter; Angie wants him to take DNA and polygraph tests to prove his innocence.

5/22: Violent, Angry and on the Edge: My Daughter Wants Me Dead

Donna says her adult daughter, Brittany, is explosively violent and angry, and she is terrified that she one day will follow through on her threats to kill her family; footage taken at their hotel may shine a light on why the family is on the show.

5/23: A Hostile Hotel Showdown: Can Brittany Be Helped?

Donna and her ex-husband, Steven, say their adult daughter, Brittany, is violent, angry and out of control; an explosive confrontation in their hotel; life coach Mike Bayer discusses his session with Brittany.

5/24: A Daughter's Brutal Murder; Her Father's Quest for Justice

Lindsay was a 24-year-old real estate agent when she was targeted and brutally murdered; her father thinks police are covering up who killed her; a woman uses DNA ancestry websites to help solve seemingly unsolvable cold cases -- all from her couch.

Edited by iHateAmpersands
Added description for Friday's episode
(edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 2:27 AM, Pondlass1 said:

Why didn’t he just suggest he fly to Germany and give her the money?

That would’ve ended it right away.  Poor foolish man.

This is the part I never get with these catfish episodes. If you loved them so much, you’d just get on the plane. 

I mean, they say they’ve been shot or are in legal trouble. If it were a real loved one, you’d go even if they told you not to bother, even if they said it would be dangerous. I mean, especially in this case. This is Germany we’re talking about. It’s statistically safer to be there than wherever he lives in the US.

Damn it, don’t just stand alone at the airport like a kicked puppy. Go rescue your fake girlfriend yourself. And a ticket to Germany would have been way cheaper.

I think on a subconscious level they know it’s fake. That’s why they never go.

On another point, as someone else mentioned, I laughed so much at the ‘German Government’ letters he provided. Ouch. That was painful to even look at. That’s one of the richest most sophisticated countries on the planet we’re talking about. They aren’t going to send weird money menace letters with tacky logos all in English with $$$$ all over. The fake was leaking out of the TV screen. I mean seriously. It’s like his awareness of what Germany is like stopped in 1953. Poor guy.

Edited by Lebanna

I had a scammer come after me several years ago.  I started out believing his b.s., but the situation changed when he asked me for money and I said no because I didn't have any.  He told me to borrow it and send it to him.  I remained adamant.  By this time I was smelling a rat.  Whenever he messaged me after that, I didn't answer. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Delusional woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her... he needs to dump her suspicious ass before she kills somebody.

Actually, I'd also watch for hubby to flip out.  I know from experience that constantly being accused of cheating when you're not will make you feel insane.

• Love 4

I had a male friend whose wife was on Adderall and she was doing this same kind of thing. He is disabled and in a wheelchair but she constantly accused him of cheating and all kinds of shit. She ended up quitting her job as an RN to stay at home to keep an eye on him. Which is probably a good thing considering she was strung out on Adderall. I am no longer friends with him because he just wanted to complain and never addressed the problem . I called it as soon as I saw the preview. Why is her doctor still prescribing that shit for her? She is maddening and hard headed. Her husband must be a saint to have stayed with her.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Adderal addiction, I didn't see that one coming. Dr Sophy was savage and I loved it.

Times like this I love Dr. Sophy!

Also still trying to figure out what is wrong with Dr. P's neck.

Guaranteed future episode--on news yesterday--lady goes to get free clothes--murdered and baby cut out of her.

• Love 1

I wanted Dr. Phil to pull out one of his old time sayings for the husband: If you have to serve a lifetime sentence I wouldn't serve it here. Adderal Addict was really invested in her delusions. At some point, you have to save yourself and walk away.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Showthyme said:

I wanted Dr. Phil to pull out one of his old time sayings for the husband: If you have to serve a lifetime sentence I wouldn't serve it here. Adderal Addict was really invested in her delusions. At some point, you have to save yourself and walk away.

I can't put my finger on it, but husband seemed "off".  He made some odd faces, and was pretty nonchalant about everything.  Don't know, but my hinky meter was pinging.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was watching the show today with Brittney, the aggressive daughter, who berates her mother and wrestles with hotel security and sees nothing wrong with her actions.   My head started to pound from watching this chick and her dead eyes.  She seems beyond help.  I feel for her parents, that they feel duty bound to take care of their child but if she was my daughter and was violent and unpredictable like that, I'd take her for a ride to another state, hand her a bag of clothes and say 'it was nice knowing you".   Then I'd move.

• Love 7