Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Next week: Hate crime hoaxes, sex trafficking and a violent son or two.

2/25: Edge of Insanity: I Believe I Have a Second Schizophrenic Child

Susan and Michael, parents of schizophrenic Janni, return to the show at odds over their 11-year-old son, Bodhi, who Susan is convinced is schizophrenic as well; Michael thinks Susan's quest for a diagnosis will harm their son.

2/26: A Second Schizophrenic Child or a Misdiagnosing Mom: Can Bodhi Be Helped?

Dr. Phil continues his discussion with exes Michael and Susan about the care of 11-year-old Bodhi, who Susan insists is dealing with schizophrenia, just like their 16-year-old daughter, Janni.

2/27: The Controversy Over Hate Crimes

No description available on Zap2It, but very clearly going to be about the Jussie Smollett case.

2/28: The Most Enabling Mother in America?

Amy says her 20-year-old son, Jai, is a "rageaholic ticking time bomb" and worries he's on the verge of seriously hurting someone, especially since he recently purchased a semi-automatic rifle.

3/1: Sex Trafficking Survivor Demands Answers From Her Therapist Mother

As a teenager, Savannah was involved in prostitution and was eventually kidnapped and sex trafficked; she believes her adoptive mother, Andrea, should have done more to protect her.

Gotta admit, am excited to see the crazy mom with the 2 kids who are prob schizophrenic. Been half following her for years, saw her on a TLC special a long time ago. I get her kids have major medical problems, but she seems like a nut job to me. Shil used to really go after these parents and he's kind of stopped doing that lately. From the preview it looks like he may rip her a new one

• Love 6

Reading the more lengthy description of Thursday's episode and seeing what the guy looks like (pretty much what I expected), I suspect it's going to be another show to add to the "waste of time" list.

20 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Gotta admit, am excited to see the crazy mom with the 2 kids who are prob schizophrenic. Been half following her for years, saw her on a TLC special a long time ago. I get her kids have major medical problems, but she seems like a nut job to me. Shil used to really go after these parents and he's kind of stopped doing that lately. From the preview it looks like he may rip her a new one 

I've been looking around for a bit and apparently she's a lot crazier than anybody who remembers this story could imagine (no links because the ones I'd like to post go against the board rules, but they should come up easy in a Google search).

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I watched this episode and found it really pretty tragic - I remember the first episode about five years ago, when they were trying to save their marriage because otherwise they thought the kids’ lives would be ruined and their mental states would get worse.

So yeah, that worked. It was sad to see that everything they feared has pretty much come true. At least the girl isn’t any worse, seemingly.

Also, last time wasn’t it the dad who was previewing his book about the daughter? 

I also watched the show today about the mom/divorced dad with the two schizo/autistic children. Some one needs to tape up that mother’s mouth. She won’t listen to anything anyone tells her but at least we won’t have to hear her spouting off about her superior knowledge about the mental health system, how wrong everyone else is, how stupid all of these doctors are, etc, etc. My mind is boggled even more by the fact that she found a SECOND man to marry her and take on those children. I thought Dr. Phil was going to knock her out of her chair after the video of her asking her autistic/schizo child if he needed meds. HUH? She needs to be locked away from those children.

• Love 19

She kept bringing up school shooters who are mentally ill.  It almost seems like she wants her son to do something like that just so she can say "I told you so!"  She was so enjoying the attention and wanting to educate the world about mental illness.  I think her kids might be better off in a group home environment where they would get care from professionals.  (But then the mom would lose all the money she gets for them, so that won't happen.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

This episode didn't disappoint at all.  I remember this couple from way back.  I always thought that woman was a nut job bound and determined to make something, anything, wrong with her kids.  That girl was on so many drugs it was crazy. I  remember he and she each had one of the kids and moved into a different apartment so the girl wouldn't harm the other one.   The seemed to appear to get along then.  

I have utmost empathy for her situation--it certainly isn't the life a new mom dreams of.   However, if I had to deal with her every day I'd move 1800 miles away too.  Except I wouldn't take another chance on a second marriage.

• Love 8

That mom was batshit crazy, but the dad was bothering me the whole time because he really has no idea what goes on in those kids' day to day lives , as he's never around. Both of your kids have severe problems and he moved across the country to start a new family. He really was in no position to talk unless he was willing to move closer and offer for the kids to live with him. Like I said, I know the mother is absolutely nuts and thinks she knows it all, but at least she stayed around for those kids and living like that 24/7 is no picnic.

• Love 7

The station in my area that airs Dr. Phub started airing stand alone commercials for his podcast in the afternoon during commercial breaks for other shows that they air. It started last month. Did this start for anyone else around the same time?

• Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 11:17 AM, OpalNightstream said:

Has it ever been determined if the guests are sometimes actors? Because some of the behaviors they show are over the top (ie the drunk young parents from yesterday’s show). I’ve seen plenty of drunk people but these two were moaning and flailing around like the living dead. 

I'm a little late to the party here, but YESSSSS!!! This show was waaaaay over acted.   The way they were rolling around and moaning is not the way drunk people act.   Me and my sis were watching and we both think that was scripted....or at least they were told to over act.  We couldn't stop laughing?!  That show was embarrassing af

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

That mom was batshit crazy, but the dad was bothering me the whole time because he really has no idea what goes on in those kids' day to day lives , as he's never around. Both of your kids have severe problems and he moved across the country to start a new family. He really was in no position to talk unless he was willing to move closer and offer for the kids to live with him. Like I said, I know the mother is absolutely nuts and thinks she knows it all, but at least she stayed around for those kids and living like that 24/7 is no picnic.

I think the father nailed it when he opined that the mother might have Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy.  She was w-a-a-a-a-y too invested in publicizing her kids' "illnesses."

• Love 10

My mind is boggled even more by the fact that she found a SECOND man to marry her and take on those children. 

And he almost seemed reasonable and sane.  Of course he must be completely nuts to marry this lunatic woman.  I'd pay good money to see him on a show with a reputable psychiatrist (that rules out another appearance on Dr. Phil) who could figure out why on earth he chose to marry that nutcase mother.  

Edited by kit.kat343
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

The station in my area that airs Dr. Phub started airing stand alone commercials for his podcast in the afternoon during commercial breaks for other shows that they air. It started last month. Did this start for anyone else around the same time?

Yes they started here ~1 month ago.  Luckily I record the show so I can FFFFFwd through them.  

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, kit.kat343 said:

And he almost seemed reasonable and sane.  

Cory did SEEM (relatively) sane on the show. I've been following this family off-and-on for years, though -- and pretty closely in recent months. I watched many of their videos before the YouTube channel was taken down, and Cory (who, as he said on Dr. Phil, was the one who actually posted the videos) frequently commented; his comments were nearly always derisive, snarky, and arrogant. More than once he blatantly lied (such as trying to say B was sitting on a closed toilet seat in that terrible bathroom video, when the lid was noticeably up). His ex-wife and biological daughter have also both spoken out about him; I'm not sure what all I'm allowed to link to, but I think their comments can be easily found with a Google search (the daughter's include some pretty telling screenshots of text messages from Cory himself, which pertained to this Dr. Phil appearance).

Anyhow, what's really sad is watching the videos of the kids when they were younger; compared to the more recent ones, it's very evident that both have declined after all the meds, especially Bodhi (who used to be MUCH more vocal).

I wonder if Dr. Phil knows that they're still posting videos of the kids -- just not on YouTube.

Edited by kickedinthehead
  • Useful 2
On 2/20/2019 at 5:31 PM, Showthyme said:

I don't see it as making money off of the blood of the victims. How does one move on after learning that their beloved father is a serial killer?

My parents committed a crime and went to jail for it. Nothing "big." I have to disclose the sins of my parents every time that I fill out a juror form. I am an upstanding citizen but feel shame.

At least his wife divorced him. Unlike Ruth Madoff who stood by Bernie until she learned that he cheated on her. 

Actually there are multiple ways of moving on IMHO:

• Therapy.
  • Keeping a journal of your feelings.
  • Becoming an advocate for victms' rights.
  • Starting and participating in support groups for the families of murderers/serial killers to help them cope with their trauma and any guilt -- completely undeserved if they had no knowledge of their family member's crimes -- they may harbor.
  • Probably many more.

I don't believe in any way that either she or you should feel any shame for something you didn't do or participate in. That would be patently unfair.

However, I do stand by what I said previously. No one is buying this book to read about her recollections about Dennis Rader great husband and dad, veteran, boy scout troop leader, president of his church congregation and all around hard working good guy. They will be buying this book because he killed a dozen people in the most perverted and violent ways possible. There is absolutely no way to separate their murders from any profits she may reap from the selling of this book.

• Love 1
On 2/26/2019 at 6:31 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I can't help thinking that if the genders were reversed, the mother would be blasted for leaving and the dad applauded for just doing his best.  She is a fruitcake but she's at least in the same time zone.  If you care about your kids and think she is so horrible then sue for custody or at least see them once in a while.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, kit.kat343 said:

And he almost seemed reasonable and sane.  Of course he must be completely nuts to marry this lunatic woman.  I'd pay good money to see him on a show with a reputable psychiatrist (that rules out another appearance on Dr. Phil) who could figure out why on earth he chose to marry that nutcase mother.  

There is more to this guy than was shown on the show surely.  He is invested somehow just not sure how.  Maybe from the money the youtube video brings in.  He cannot be normal because most men run as fast as they can when a woman with young children mentions commitment.  I do not believe she is going to butt out.  I actually enjoyed Dr. Sophie telling her she had a bigger problem than her children.  She is such a right fighter.  I wonder if they could put her in one of those treatment centers for a few weeks.  

I subscribed to Dr. P's podcast and unsubscribed after one day.  I have zero in common with any celebrities and do not care what their opinion about anything is.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Looks like today's show about hate crimes is going to be pre-empted.

ETA: It's on now where I live so I guess that hearing didn't last as long as I thought it would be.

That was one of Phil's worst shows ever.

Instead of guests that could rationally shed some light on this type of behavior, we had politically motivated cartoon characters arguing as if they were the living embodiment of memes.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

That was one of Phil's worst shows ever.

Instead of guests that could rationally shed some light on this type of behavior, we had politically motivated cartoon characters arguing as if they were the living embodiment of memes.

That Sally Cohn has one of the most annoying voices I have ever heard . 

Too bad for Philip he couldn’t brag about being the ONLY person Jussie would do an interview with , as he has in the past . 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

And out of all the people that have had hate crimes committed against them to put on the show, they choose a woman who wasn't 100% truthful to the cops when she reported it to them.

• Love 4

Next week is apparently Groundhog Week on Dr. Phil:

3/4: Reunion Gone Wrong?

Dan says that since his wife, Lorie, reunited with her now 26-year-old son two years ago, their entire family life has been shattered; he believes they have an inappropriate relationship, and the young man has violent outbursts.

3/5:  ???

???

3/6: Save My Beautiful Daughters* From Their Narcissistic Father

Jessica says her soon-to-be ex-husband, Mike, is a narcissist who controls everything in her and their teen daughters' lives, especially the finances; Mike says Jessica is brainwashing the young women to hate him.

3/7: I Swiped Right on My Quadriplegic Boyfriend

Bailey became quadriplegic 11 years ago in a childhood racing accident; girlfriend Harley says she is exhausted being his full-time caregiver; he says he constantly feels resentment from her for taking on that role and he feels like a burden.

3/8: Lies, Betrayal and Custody: It's Been 2 Years Since We've Seen Our Daughter

Kimberly says she had so choice but to obtain guardianship of her then-6-year-old niece because the child's parents were neglectful drug addicts with a history of arrests; they want her back, despite currently living in a homeless shelter.

*What the world does them being "beautiful" have to do with anything?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

What is with that baby products line he was promoting?  I thought it strange he would have a 15 min segment on it.

Since he's all about promoting stuff that is involved with him and his family, I'm going to guess he's going to be a grandfather again.

Thursday's episode "I Swiped Right on My Quadriplegic Boyfriend" has been replaced with the following:

The One Who Survived

Jennifer Asbenson, author of "The Girl in the Treehouse," tells the chilling details of how she escaped serial killer Andrew Urdiales and why she was chosen as his victim.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

What’s with the random motorcycle behind him? What the hell is this new setup?

I think that is where he does his podcast?   I thought it was interesting when the pretend "spontaneous" meeting took place with those 3 staff members.  It looked as if there were several bowls of snacks on his desk for him, including a bowl of Fritos.   Too bad one of the staff didn't try to pilfer one of them.  That would have been entertaining it and of itself.

That was a creepy episode.  I can see why the kids are afraid of the 27 year old.  He has no plans to let his momma go no matter what she says.  Reminds me of that TV movie where the famous writer fell in love, married and then isolated her in his house.  Her sis came to visit and he killed her.  

• Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 2:31 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

Next week is apparently Groundhog Week on Dr. Phil:

*What the world does them being "beautiful" have to do with anything?

Because this show has become the national enquirer of tv. All sensationalized. “Dr” phil should be embarrassed by what he has become. 

• Love 1

I don’t think  that mom had a romantic interest in her son. I think she feels a lot of guilt and in some way she still thinks of him as a child. I understand he is autistic and may have difficulty controlling his emotions but he also seems too desperate for a mom and family. I think her husband and kids are right to be worried but also have some jealousy because she is spending less time with them.

I think finding your birth parents/kids stories don’t always turn out as happy as portrayed on tv shows. When you are meeting up with a stranger, even if they are related by blood you have to be cautious.

1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t think  that mom had a romantic interest in her son. I think she feels a lot of guilt and in some way she still thinks of him as a child. I understand he is autistic and may have difficulty controlling his emotions but he also seems too desperate for a mom and family. I think her husband and kids are right to be worried but also have some jealousy because she is spending less time with them.

I think finding your birth parents/kids stories don’t always turn out as happy as portrayed on tv shows. When you are meeting up with a stranger, even if they are related by blood you have to be cautious.

The Mom was weird. I'm sorry but sleeping in the same bed with your 20 something son is really off the charts...the way she responded to questions was just strange. She seemed very immature and clueless. On the Asperger's scale I would say her son was a 6 on the scale from 1 to 10. I have a family member with Asperger's and he is a 3 on the scale...Dr. Phil was spot on with his treatment plan for the son. If he continues on this path of violent outbursts he will end up in jail or prison. I don't see this family, besides the mom, fully embracing John regardless of any progress he might make. It will take a lot of family therapy to change their feelings about him.

And you're right...these reunions with birth mothers and their kids that were adopted often times turns out to be a disaster...the great singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell met her daughter who was given up for adoption when Joni was an art student and was living in poverty in Toronto. Her daughter was in her early 20's they met and had a young son. At first it was joyous and they moved into Joni's home in LA...but then things went south. Her daughter was resentful and angry...they fought over how the daughter did or did not discipline her son and other things. Joni began to feel as though the only reason her daughter had sought to find her was to cash in on her fortune. The relationship ended after the police were called for a domestic dispute. Her daughter moved out and went back to Canada. They don't communicate anymore. Sometimes it's better to leave things alone.

• Love 3

Today's show just reinforced how much of a psychotic POS Chris Watts is. I don't know if I'll watch the interview with his wife's parents and brother on Monday.

As for tomorrow's show, the daughters are nowhere near as beautiful as the title would like you to believe.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Today's show just reinforced how much of a psychotic POS Chris Watts is. I don't know if I'll watch the interview with his wife's parents and brother on Monday.

Phil says (referring to Chris Watts)...."we all know he's rotting in prison."  Um no Phil.....Chris is NOT rotting. He's got a bed, a toilet and 3 meals each day.

And he's probably in some special "protective custody" section of the prison so none of the other inmates can give him what he deserves.

• Love 4

Yes, years ago it was "known" that pedophiles/child killers were beaten or beaten to death by other inmates who detest child killers.

However, (and anyone who has better knowledge of this than I do please correct me) current information shows that pedophiles/child killers are placed in a special part/ward of the prison so they are not harmed by other inmates who want to kill them. This may be something that is not standard procedure in all U.S. prisons but it is in some. Again, I'm not an expert so i could be wrong.

• Love 2

Today's "beautiful daughters" were brainwashed by their lazy entitled mother. Dad appeared to be a rough type, and no big prize either. But somehow the mother made my blood boil. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe her conviction that she's perfect and doing everything perfectly?

• Love 8

My issue with her, if she is so broke, why isn't she working, the kids are not little.  He may be a dead beat dad, but to sit and whine, I can't pay my bills while sitting on her ass--get a job and the girls can help, it's called life

• Love 8

In regard to the Chris Watts episode, I thought it was in poor taste for Phil to have the memorial video at the end while playing In The Arms of the Angels. These victims are not Phil’s loved ones or friends. It just seemed exploitive.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 2:00 PM, AZChristian said:

Let's all watch for "mysonJay" to open a motorcycle dealership. 

He doesn't have one of those (yet), but today's show reveals that he has a company that sells healthy food items (more about this in the "rest of the family" thread).

Edited by iHateAmpersands

I also was appalled at the mother.  There are plenty of single moms out there who used to be stay at home moms but they got out there and helped provide for their children.  Plus the enmeshment with her children was appalling.

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Today's "beautiful daughters" were brainwashed by their lazy entitled mother. Dad appeared to be a rough type, and no big prize either. But somehow the mother made my blood boil. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe her conviction that she's perfect and doing everything perfectly?

So, I wasn't the only one screaming at the TV "GET A JOB" at mom?  

Edited by chlban
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
40 minutes ago, chlban said:

So, I wasn't the only one screaming at the TV "GET A JOB" at mom?  

Also - wouldn't the mom have to get a job or something when her youngest turns 18, and the child support is likely to be reduced since no longer a minor? Or is there specific "alimony" in place for the mom that's not tied to child support - I may have missed that. In any case, it seemed like the dad was not able to pay currently in any case due to being unemployed and having some mental issues (that wasn't super clear either). Weird episode!

Then at the end instead of spending more time with them, we got to see DP hawk yet another business of his son's - I'm sure the smoothies are nice, but how exactly are they meant to replace dinner/pizza in this situation? 

• Love 3

Dr Phil BINGO alert, we got a “mysonjay” And Coach Mike!

That mother was something else.  Everything was about her and she couldn’t believe that she’s doing anything wrong at all.   She also makes stay at home moms look bad.

I feel sorry for the girls.  They are going to need counseling to break free of her craycrayness, and the “Dad” is worthless.

• Love 4
On 3/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, Mrs Shibbles said:

Dr Phil BINGO alert, we got a “mysonjay” And Coach Mike!

No way!!!! I missed the Daily Double? Can I raise you one with a Robin McGraw skincare ad for the Trifecta?

So today's episode: anyone else think they've seen Danielle on the Internet website "The Faces of Meth"? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1