Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Rip City Dicks

• Start Topic

In hopes of becoming a certified private investigator, Dex seeks mentorship from veteran PI Artie Banks. Meanwhile, Hoffman grows suspicious of Grey after evidence proves that he has a connection to a victim in his case.

Airing Wednesday, October 9, 2019.

11 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I'm not familiar with the source material, so I don't know if Banks portrayal is an accurate rendition or not, but I must admit that the show tricked me into believing he would be serving as a mentor role to Dex.  The double cross caught me completely off guard.  Nicely played, show.

I don't think he exists in the comics.  Dex in the comics is a, more or less, experienced PI.

I figured Artie was up to something as soon as he took the phone and said he’d handle everything from there. I’m glad Dex smashed that tacky, expensive vase. I love that her mixed tape knew exactly the song she needed to hear at the end. The tape is like another character itself. 

I know Hoffman is doing his job, but him using Dex against Grey during the interrogation really rubbed me the wrong way, and I’m glad Grey told him to leave Dex out of it. 

Also, I’m super curious now about what happened with Dex and Ansel’s parents. 

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I'm not familiar with the source material, so I don't know if Banks portrayal is an accurate rendition or not, but I must admit that the show tricked me into believing he would be serving as a mentor role to Dex.  The double cross caught me completely off guard.  Nicely played, show.

Yes. This episode is an example of why I avoid spoilers unless it’s a show I don’t like enough to watch.

I’m glad the doublecross caught me by surprise but still made sense, especially when Donal Logue’s character reminded us/Dex of hints he had dropped.

I just hope the show doesn’t go to too dark —like DL’s Gotham, which is why I abandoned it. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7

It could have been fun to see Artie as Dex's mentor but I guess that would also make things really easy for her, and the show, if she had him as a partner all season. So it does make sense why he ended up betraying her. Plus, I like that he's an excellent PI but through his nefarious methods and his goal to just earn money, rather than helping people out. It adds a shade to grey to the line of work that Dex will be a part of. Unlike cops or detectives, money IS a great incentive to keep being a PI.

But still, the way they handled the double cross took me by surprise. 

The mix tape stuff is still on point. I like that the songs kind of reflect the tone that the particular episode, or even scene, is going for. And as cheesy as the ending was with Dex and the mother, it still kind of worked with the music. 

So, we'll be getting a Grey vs Hoffman subplot, I see, with Dex in the middle. I don't even have a particular side that I'm rooting for...but Grey is a more interesting character with deeper motivations, so I guess I'm kind of on his side? Sure, he's shady and will, no doubt, bring trouble into Dex's life, but he has a real interesting backstory. Meanwhile, Hoffman is played by a great actor, but there's not a lot behind the character. There needs to be more explored with him in order for me to like him.

Otherwise, this has quickly became my favourite new show of the season, finally surpassing Prodigal Son. Hopefully we see this show live another season because, as of right now, I am all in. 

• Love 18
36 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It could have been fun to see Artie as Dex's mentor but I guess that would also make things really easy for her, and the show, if she had him as a partner all season. So it does make sense why he ended up betraying her. Plus, I like that he's an excellent PI but through his nefarious methods and his goal to just earn money, rather than helping people out. It adds a shade to grey to the line of work that Dex will be a part of. Unlike cops or detectives, money IS a great incentive to keep being a PI.

But still, the way they handled the double cross took me by surprise. 

The mix tape stuff is still on point. I like that the songs kind of reflect the tone that the particular episode, or even scene, is going for. And as cheesy as the ending was with Dex and the mother, it still kind of worked with the music. 

So, we'll be getting a Grey vs Hoffman subplot, I see, with Dex in the middle. I don't even have a particular side that I'm rooting for...but Grey is a more interesting character with deeper motivations, so I guess I'm kind of on his side? Sure, he's shady and will, no doubt, bring trouble into Dex's life, but he has a real interesting backstory. Meanwhile, Hoffman is played by a great actor, but there's not a lot behind the character. There needs to be more explored with him in order for me to like him.

Otherwise, this has quickly became my favourite new show of the season, finally surpassing Prodigal Son. Hopefully we see this show live another season because, as of right now, I am all in. 

What you said about the Hoffman character is exactly what I was afraid would happen. I was worried he would be underdeveloped, repressed, and neglected which happens with a lot of black male characters. Michael Ealy is too good for that so I hope i'm wrong. The writers need to flesh him out and put his background out there. But one thing I will say is he definitely has chemistry with Dex so that's a plus.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 10

I stopped rooting for Hoffman when he commanded Dex to show up for his dinner, after she said no. That was really disgusting to me. I'm disappointed that they've made him such a shallow and obnoxious character. It's a waste of Ealy's talent. The two of the manipulating each other could have been amusing, but his gross chauvanism made it just sickening instead. Dex hooking up with him anyway was in character for her, but I don't like him anymore.

Count me as another one who didn't see the double cross coming. I guess if you care, like Dex, you forget to have your guard all the way up, sometimes. It's surprising, because usually she is quite defended.

The lieutenant needs more to do than be snarky and wise. She's enjoyable, but not a real character yet. Please don't waste Manheim, show!

I like this show way more than I think I should. I don't know why, exactly. But I really look forward to it.

Bad Alibi really is a terrible name for a bar. Also, the decor doesn't look like I'd expect a bar with that name to look. It's not a dive!

• Love 8

It probably takes writers most of a year to see what works and what doesn't with respect to the actors and the characters (if they are basing the characters off of something previously written or real people).

The first few episodes of the show are supposed to draw you in with the main character(s) and given some time the rest will get fleshed out if the writers, actors, and show runner are any good. Even if you have not seen the first few episodes you probably know most of the actors from other work they were good in (I do anyway which is rare for me) so there is great potential there that can be tapped if the show runner is good enough to get there before viewers get bored and ratings get too low.

Private detectives tend to do some shady work and generally don't make that much money unless they are dishonest so seeing somebody with expensive cars and office furnishings in that business pretty much tells you they are crooked. They even went so far as saying he was a cop for 16? years and quit for no known reason to do PI work so there is some kind of interesting back story they can use to show how somebody who probably did a decent honest job as a cop ended up going the other direction.

I do find it rather stupid that criminals holding some higher ups money didn't think that somebody would be coming for it sooner rather then later and to hold onto it. Even if the owner is doing 6 life terms back to back that cash is leverage for them in prison to be used as needed on the outside where that person still has friends or partners in crime. While the bar might be profitable it can't be that profitable if all the money you have to show for it is $8K in a safe when the whole place was financed with somebody elses cash. No way you can pay your $250K principle back with interest to mobsters in any reasonable time let alone your dead partners $250K on top of it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mommalib said:

What you said about the Hoffman character is exactly what I was afraid would happen. I was worried he would be underdeveloped, repressed, and neglected which happens with a lot of black male characters. Michael Ealy is too good for that so I hope i'm wrong. The writers need to flesh him out and put his background out there. But one thing I will say is he definitely has chemistry with Dex so that's a plus.

I'd like him to not look so smug about his seduction powers, that annoyed me this episode. 

Loving the tape deck most of all.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Kelda Feegle said:

What you said about the Hoffman character is exactly what I was afraid would happen. I was worried he would be underdeveloped, repressed, and neglected which happens with a lot of black male characters.

I think we'll get there - there was a hint last episode about a dead brother (?) or something.  I'm just not keen on a multiple season arc on stories (like Beckett's mom on Castle....was SO over it by the time it all was resolved).  

I don't know anything about the comics, but I do hope Dex is going to get more competent when it comes to investigating.  I took Camryn's advice to Dex last episode about Dex having good instincts, but needing proper training to be a round about way of telling Dex she could be a good investigator.

• Love 1

I'd totally watch a tv show called Rip City Dicks.  That was a fun call back to those 70s cop shows. Add me to the list of people who are disappointed that Donal Logue won't be around as Dex's mentor all season.  His betrayal caught me by surprise, I was as shocked as Dex.  I wonder how she'll earn her required PI apprentice hours now. 

15 hours ago, phalange said:

I know Hoffman is doing his job, but him using Dex against Grey during the interrogation really rubbed me the wrong way, and I’m glad Grey told him to leave Dex out of it. 

Yeah, that rubbed me the wrong way too.  And it doesn't help that Hoffman still comes off as this blank spot in the show.  I personally don't see sexual chemistry between him and Dex so that's a no-go for me too.  Truthfully, I don't necessarily see sexual chemistry between Dex and Grey either but I do see a bond there AND he's a more interesting character so far.

14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

This and Prodigal Son are my two favorite new shows this season.  

Edited by rove4
grammar
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I stopped rooting for Hoffman when he commanded Dex to show up for his dinner, after she said no. That was really disgusting to me. I'm disappointed that they've made him such a shallow and obnoxious character. It's a waste of Ealy's talent. The two of the manipulating each other could have been amusing, but his gross chauvanism made it just sickening instead. Dex hooking up with him anyway was in character for her, but I don't like him anymore.

It also made me a bit uncomfortable that Artie also told Dex to go on the date with Hoffman to use him for information, despite the fact that she was trying to turn him down. Plus, Hoffman wasn't subtle in his attempts to use her on their "date". Asking about Grey the entire time would get anyone to become suspicious right off the bat. 

However, Dex is still an adult who chose to play the same game as Artie and Hoffman. I just wish she hadn't let Hoffman's seduction techniques work on her. She did insist that she was choosing to have sex with Hoffman in that moment because she was horny, and I do tend to believe her. But, y'know, Hoffman deciding to use her for sex was a bit gross. He couldn't get info out of her, so he'd get sex instead. 

• Love 2

I've never liked Donal Logue, as he seems to play the exact same character, over and over.  Though half the time he's a supposed good-at-heart disheveled, rough, street guy and the other half he's a evil-at-heart disheveled, rough, street guy. 

I hope he doesn't last for too many episodes.  I'm loving Colbie's antics though. She's doing great as the lead.  

And I loved the 70's PI intro.  The clothes, hair, etc. were all totally on point!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

No Donal Logue! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! I figured that something might happen so that he wouldn't be Dex’s constant mentor (as they would make things a bit too easy for her) but I didnt see the betrayal coming at all. Thats cold, especially playing into Dex’s parent issues with his dad story, but probably realistic. PIs work for money and do engage in some sketchy stuff, I guess this is just taking that to its logical extreme. 

In the Hoffman vs. Grey fight, I am pretty much on Grey's side, even if Hoffman is the one investigating a murder and Grey is clearly hiding stuff. Probably because Hoffman using Dex to get to Grey and trying to be sneaky investigating him really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe if we get to know him better I will be more up to rooting for him, but right now it does kind of seem like he is looking hard at Grey just because Grey was in prison, even if, as far as he knew, the connection with the dead guy was tangential at most, and Grey really seems to be trying to leave crime behind and start over. 

Come one Dex, eat the dinner if your stuck in a mutual interrogation date! Yeah that was weird, neither of them really seemed to want to be on the date, but they kind of got pressured into it by their respective bosses/fake mentors. 

The mix tape is still one of my favorite parts of the show, I love how it seems to fit into what ever scene is happening, ad cheesy as it can be. 

I would totally watch Rip City Dicks, it really nailed 70s cop/PI shows.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

She did insist that she was choosing to have sex with Hoffman in that moment because she was horny, and I do tend to believe her. But, y'know, Hoffman deciding to use her for sex was a bit gross. He couldn't get info out of her, so he'd get sex instead. 

I think you hit the nail on the head as to why their encounter came off as skeezy to me rather than hot.  It almost seems impersonal on both their parts, like a sex doll would serve the purpose just as well.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, phalange said:

I figured Artie was up to something as soon as he took the phone and said he’d handle everything from there. I’m glad Dex smashed that tacky, expensive vase.

I'm not sure why we would assume he told the truth about how expensive the vase was if he lied about everything else.

I love Cobie Smulders and Michael Ealy together.  The characters are both adults who know exactly what the other person is up to, and both flat out admitted it, so I don't get anything skeevy from this whatsoever.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The mix tape is still one of my favorite parts of the show, I love how it seems to fit into what ever scene is happening, ad cheesy as it can be.

I, too, love the mix tape.  We're getting into suspension of disbelief for me because there have been some GREAT tunes on the mix tape...BUT, if you know about tapes and ever made one for your bff of your boyfriend, you know that we're running perilously close to capacity on that sucker.  No way can they have enough music for a whole season!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I, too, love the mix tape.  We're getting into suspension of disbelief for me because there have been some GREAT tunes on the mix tape...BUT, if you know about tapes and ever made one for your bff of your boyfriend, you know that we're running perilously close to capacity on that sucker.  No way can they have enough music for a whole season! 

I think that is the point, the mixtape is a semi-sentient member of the cast dispensing infallible wisdom through song. If it was a malfuntioning MP3 player, nobody would think twice. I like it, it adds a bit of humor to the background music since the cast can hear it as well and sometimes they are moved to sing along or be inspired by it.

• Love 11

It annoyed me that the detective ordered her to his home for dinner. I was also hoping that Donal Logue would be a permanent cast member, but of course not.

If we're going for detective versus best friend, I'm on the side of the best friend. I HATE love triangles. Loathe them. I don't want a series-long feud between the two. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Anela said:

I was also hoping that Donal Logue would be a permanent cast member, but of course not.

Are we sure Donal Logue isn't going to at least be a continuing guest star?

2 hours ago, Anela said:

I HATE love triangles. Loathe them.

Nobody hates love triangles more than I do. 🤬

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm not sure why we would assume he told the truth about how expensive the vase was if he lied about everything else.

I love Cobie Smulders and Michael Ealy together.  The characters are both adults who know exactly what the other person is up to, and both flat out admitted it, so I don't get anything skeevy from this whatsoever.

Yeah I don't know how people get to a conclusion of skeevy. They are clearly mutually attracted to each other. And for the people trying to side with Grey isn't a little to early for that?

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mommalib said:

Yeah I don't know how people get to a conclusion of skeevy. They are clearly mutually attracted to each other. And for the people trying to side with Grey isn't a little to early for that?

Best friend of six years, versus someone ordering her around. I don't like to be ordered around, and wouldn't have gone. Personal preferences. 

• Love 6

Why can't a woman and man just be friends? I think the show would have worked just fine without the additional..."they slept together once," issue.  I like the show, but oddly I am not loving the lead that much. It is like she is trying too hard. 

I agree they both know what they want. I also think we are so conditioned to "romance" on these shows that people want more of that....but that is not the kind of relationship they have right now. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Anela said:

I was also hoping that Donal Logue would be a permanent cast member, but of course not.

I was liking the idea of him sticking around to help Dex, but with the turn around at the end, I wouldn't mind him popping up as a guest star in an episode or two just to be a thorn in her side from time to time.

The vibe of this episode felt different.  Starting with the weird daydream 70's opening sequence.  Dex seem almost subdued this episode compared to how we've seen her previously.  I was actually surprised she was so open with the girl about her brother(?) and the speech at the end was a little much. 

Sex with the cop didn't bother me since it was clear there were no feelings behind it.  She was using him, he was using her, they both knew it. meh 

I must have not been paying attention because I had no idea that Stumptown was the name of the city until it was mentioned in this episode.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Mecca said:

had no idea that Stumptown was the name of the city until it was mentioned in this episode.  

It’s a nickname for Portland, as is Rip City. Portland has no shortage of nicknames.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I agree they definitely need to spend some time on Michael Ealy's character soon.  They are relying on the stoic "good" guy stereotype a lot, and to me with mixed results.  The interrogation scene between Grey and Hoffman would have had a lot more weight if we'd really connected to both characters.  I agree that Camryn Manheim also needs more to do.

I enjoyed the twists and turns with Artie.  I thought he was laying it on a little thick in places trying to bond with Dex, and then dismissed it as a rushed character introduction.  I liked the idea of him as a mentor but almost equally like the idea of him as a nemesis. 

I did think the final "I Got the Power" bit was a little over the top, even for this show.  But I would like to see Dex hit back.  (Aside: that digital footage of the creep in the elevator must exist in more than one place.  Surely the new love interest kept a copy for herself.  I can buy Artie trying to sell his copy as the only one, but the guy would be a sucker to believe it.)

Does Jake Johnson look like Oscar Isaac to anyone else?

13 hours ago, VartanFan said:

there was a hint last episode about a dead brother (?) or something.

I think it was a dead partner.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Best friend of six years, versus someone ordering her around. I don't like to be ordered around, and wouldn't have gone. Personal preferences. 

Ordering her around? That's your gripe? Never mind that Grey is clearly shady is will likely put Dex at risk down the line. But I guess that doesn't matter.

• Love 1

At least Dex didn't get her head beaten this episode.  I was starting to worry about TBI.

I could see Artie making another appearance somewhere, just so Dex can outsmart him and get some revenge.

How is it that the back window of Artie's car can get shot out by a rifle but the front window is untouched?

11 hours ago, VartanFan said:

No way can they have enough music for a whole season!  

The mixtape will finally eject at the end of the season, and Dex will coincidentally find one while on a case, or at a flea market; something.  She'll plug that one in and it will get stuck too.  And away we go..

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

The mixtape will finally eject at the end of the season, and Dex will coincidentally find one while on a case, or at a flea market; something.  She'll plug that one in and it will get stuck too.  And away we go..

Which is just one of the many reasons why I hate it. I hate when shows use a toss away gimmick that has a time a finite time limit to it. I find this particularly annoying because while we only hear the songs when it’s important to the plot, she has to turn it on, she is should never be surprised by what song comes on because she is in her car a lot more than when we see her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s a nickname for Portland, as is Rip City. Portland has no shortage of nicknames.

Many rarely used nicknames.  Rose City is more common.  I've lived 3 hours away and had an uncle who lived there for 85 years and friends down there and have never heard of Stumptown as a nickname.  I've a feeling that whoever named the original story used Google, not locals, to come up with the name.

55 minutes ago, TWP said:

Many rarely used nicknames.  Rose City is more common.  I've lived 3 hours away and had an uncle who lived there for 85 years and friends down there and have never heard of Stumptown as a nickname.  I've a feeling that whoever named the original story used Google, not locals, to come up with the name.

Stumptown has iterally been around the same amount of time as City of Roses but is arguably currently more famous because of the popular hipster coffee chain started in Portland Stumptown and the Trailblazers sometimes even wear jerseys with Rip City on them and frequently use the # so tons of actual people from Portland are familiar with the names long before the show. Many businesses in Portland have those names or twists on versions of both these names much more so than the City of Roses.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Anela said:

She went because she needed something from him too.  For me it's not a competition between the two.  I agree, why can't they simply be friends?  I like Dex's chemistry with Hoffman.

11 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I agree that Camryn Manheim also needs more to do.

I really didn't like her smugness in episode 1, but now it's so unbearably over the top I'm trying to find it funny.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She went because she needed something from him too.  For me it's not a competition between the two.  I agree, why can't they simply be friends?  I like Dex's chemistry with Hoffman.

Despite it being seen as a love triangle, because it's two men and a woman, I see it as I said it: best friend versus someone she had sex with. They aren't married, and I did say, "personal preferences" if we're getting into our own reactions. She let him know she was there to "just get off" but she still responded to an order. 

17 hours ago, mommalib said:

Ordering her around? That's your gripe? Never mind that Grey is clearly shady is will likely put Dex at risk down the line. But I guess that doesn't matter.

If people can gripe about a mix tape, then they can certainly take issue with a man not taking the first "no" for an answer and continuing to press her to submit to his will. lol

Now, this was clearly a case of two people using each other - not terribly attractive in my book either - so it worked for the story's purpose but it's not a good message to hint that "well, boys, no doesn't really mean no. " *wink*wink*

And I don't think Grey is shady.  He's trying to turn his life around, seems to have been a solid and dependable friend (more stable than Dex, for sure).  He's found his past coming back to haunt him and he's trying to solve it on his own without bringing it to his best friend's doorstep.  Misguided, but not shady in my book. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

If people can gripe about a mix tape, then they can certainly take issue with a man not taking the first "no" for an answer and continuing to press her to submit to his will. lol

Now, this was clearly a case of two people using each other - not terribly attractive in my book either - so it worked for the story's purpose but it's not a good message to hint that "well, boys, no doesn't really mean no. " *wink*wink*

And I don't think Grey is shady.  He's trying to turn his life around, seems to have been a solid and dependable friend (more stable than Dex, for sure).  He's found his past coming back to haunt him and he's trying to solve it on his own without bringing it to his best friend's doorstep.  Misguided, but not shady in my book. 

Thank you! That's it, exactly. A guy tried to pull that shit with me once - I spent time with family instead. Nothing about that scene was sexy to me.

I agree with what you said about Grey, too. 

I do wonder why my personal preference when it comes to someone's behaviour, was such an issue. Especially when I agreed with a couple of people who posted the other night, like this one:

I stopped rooting for Hoffman when he commanded Dex to show up for his dinner, after she said no. That was really disgusting to me.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
On 10/9/2019 at 8:17 PM, Bulldog said:

Unfortunately, my high hopes for this "Whiskey Cavalier" replacement were dashed slightly when they brought on Donal Logue.  I hate the roles he plays.  He always plays a nasty, devious, unwashed character.  I hated him in "Blade", and I was TOTALLY turned off when he played the sex partner of Sarah Shahi on the TV series, "Life".  Talk about Beauty and the Beast.  Ugh.

I'll keep watching, if only for having Cobie Smulders on my screen.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rove4 said:

Submit to his will? You trying to hard. And yes they are using each other which is mutual. Obviously Dex has her issues and we don't know a lot about Hoffman yet but i'm sure we will find out he has some too, then maybe you will have a more sympathetic view.

If you want to call Grey misguided fine but at the very least he has a shady past.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I really didn't like her smugness in episode 1, but now it's so unbearably over the top I'm trying to find it funny.

I think that Dex and Grey making the decision to stay friends after their hook up in the past was refreshing and I hope it stays that way. From a romance/sexual standpoint I think her chemistry is with Hoffman. I don't want a triangle.

• Love 2

It would be funny if they had Dex "training" with a revolving cast of PI's.  A new one each week, shades of the Murphy Brown ever-changing secretary.  They could probably get some great guest stars.  

1500 hours is about 10 months full time, so they could stretch that into the first season, possibly to the 2nd.  The she's on her own after she's licensed.  More hilarity ensues.  

• Love 12
On 10/10/2019 at 1:27 AM, possibilities said:

Bad Alibi really is a terrible name for a bar. Also, the decor doesn't look like I'd expect a bar with that name to look. It's not a dive!

The name is kind of dumb although my biggest concern is that the bar charges $16 for a drink. Is that actually a legitimate price for a drink in a bar like that in a place like Portland?

On 10/10/2019 at 11:40 AM, leighdear said:

And I loved the 70's PI intro.  The clothes, hair, etc. were all totally on point!

Cobie's hood slide at the end of that sequence was amazing.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:40 AM, leighdear said:

I've never liked Donal Logue, as he seems to play the exact same character, over and over.  Though half the time he's a supposed good-at-heart disheveled, rough, street guy and the other half he's a evil-at-heart disheveled, rough, street guy. 

It's weird earlier in his career it was mostly slacker deadbeat type characters, the cops for awhile. Now this is kind of a mix of both.

• Love 2

Late to the party, so I keep it short: Loved the 70s show opening. Did not see the betrayal coming. I guess Artie will become some sort of nemesis for Dex who goes down at the end of the season. Fine by me. Do not care about Hoffman and Grey - they're both okay but I wish the show would dial the whole potential love triangle aspect back a bit - at least until it has a better grip on the characters, especially Hoffman. 

As for the mix tape: I stick to my initial theory that it will keep working way beyond what's technically possible - providing the perfect soundtrack to Dex's life withoout anyone ever noticing. Together with the car it will become its own character (like SPN's Baby). Also: I wish I had a magical mix tape for myself. 

Two things that stuck out to me: Dex's flashback in the middle of a shooting and how it was written - it happened but if Artie noticed he did not talk about (of course by now we know that's because he's a massive jerk) and Dex just ignored it once it was over. And I'm with Artie on this: who the hell calls their child after a cough syrup???

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

And I'm with Artie on this: who the hell calls their child after a cough syrup???

Actually, dexedrine is not a cough syrup, it's an amphetamine (upper). I'm pretty sure he was thinking of dextromethorphan, which is a cough syrup.  (Although, who names their kid after an amphetamine?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Loved the Rip City Dicks sequence at the beginning of the episode. I would definitely watch that show!

As much as I didn't like Artie's inevitable dick move, it wasn't surprising. He made it pretty clear right after they met with the blonde girlfriend that his motivation was to make money from these cases. I did like Artie and Dex working together so my main disappointment is that we won't get more of that dynamic, but the situation did show Dex exactly what Artie pointed out to her which is that the fundamental difference between them is that she still cares and wants to do the right thing. All he wants to do is get paid.

Man, Grey is in for $500K now so he is definitely screwed.

• Love 1

Artie was never going to be Dex's mentor past this one case.  She made a deal with him to help him out with this one and he would sign off on all of her hours.  I found that hard to buy because Hoffman and CM's character (don't remember her name) will know she couldn't have possibly completed the hours so fast. 

On 10/11/2019 at 11:14 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The name is kind of dumb although my biggest concern is that the bar charges $16 for a drink. Is that actually a legitimate price for a drink in a bar like that in a place like Portland?

Cobie's hood slide at the end of that sequence was amazing.

It's weird earlier in his career it was mostly slacker deadbeat type characters, the cops for awhile. Now this is kind of a mix of both.

I've never been to Portland, so I can't say if that's actually the going rate for a drink but I took that scene as Grey totally messing with Hoffman and charging a ridiculous amount. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I've never been to Portland, so I can't say if that's actually the going rate for a drink but I took that scene as Grey totally messing with Hoffman and charging a ridiculous amount. 

I agree he was supposed to be overcharging him, but I don't think it was by an insane amount for a Manhattan. $16 would definitely be expensive for a cocktail in Portland. You'd pay $10-$13 at a decent place, maybe less at a non-cocktail bar (hard to tell how good or divey Grey's place is supposed to be). 

• Love 1