Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

Police chief Jo Evans plunges her family into a mystery when she discovers a young girl the night of an inexplicable plane crash in her quiet northeastern town and decides to protect her. Benny Gallagher, an investigative reporter, intrudes into Jo’s inquiry with his own take on the shadowy evidence.

Original air date: September 24, 2019

I tuned in because I met someone who saw some of the beach scenes filming (actually done at Island Beach State Park in New Jersey, pretty sure the nearby Barnegat Lighthouse was digitally inserted in the first shot, too). I liked it, especially the main cop. Will be tuning in again.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

I am always tepidly excited for the networks next attempt to recreate Lost, so I was definitely planning on checking this out. I liked it a lot, I thought it was a really strong pilot without a lot of the obvious pilot pitfalls. Its setting up an interesting mystery, has a really strong cast and I am already interested to see where this is going. It reminds me right away of Manifest (also involving a mysterious plane incident) but is already quite a bit more interesting. Shows like this can go off the rails pretty quickly, but I am cautiously optimistic. Allison Tolman is a great lead, and the supporting cast is really solid too, from TV vets like Clancy Brown to the little girl playing Piper, who is quite engaging and can go from creepy to cute really convincingly. 

I wonder what happened between the sheriff and her ex? They seem to still get along pretty well and even her dad still likes him. Love triangle with him and British reporter? I like that she has a kind of folksy Columbo/Fargo way of solving cases and interrogating people, like asking the fake parents to see pictures of their kid.

That last scene was really creepy, I swear I thought she was going to cut her own face off and reveal an alien face or something.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Tolman's innate likeability makes her the perfect lead here.  She is definitely up to the challenge of carrying the show

Yes. Exactly.  

3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Was I the only one who thought that Piper was going to use the box cutter to peel back her face and reveal some alien life form?

I too was imagining a lizard face reveal à la V, but stress cutting also crossed my mind. 😕

I hope Piper cutting out the tracking device (?) doesn’t mean there will be routine gore. I’m just not up for that kind of stuff anymore.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Long story short, this town apparently has significant power issues -- and massive magnetic issues.

So many other things in the Sheriff's bedroom should have moved other than that paper clip in a magnetic field that strong.  Just saying.

Magnetic event followed by a plane crash -- how is this not Lost ?  Did Desmond forget to input the numbers on time ..... again ?
Shouldn't there have been more plane pieces on the beach ?

Seriously, they let this kid go home with the Sheriff ?  Where are family and children's services ?  Hell, the NTSB showed up in no time.  Or did they ?

Oh, noesss, she's gone ?  Shouldn't someone be asking how this magical child escaped from 2nd or 3rd story room of a hospital with 1 door ?
Did the sheriff call off the Amber Alert and the marine unit after discovering the kid was in her police vehicle ?  Apparently not, so as not to tip off the Faux NTSB.

This show just got measurably better with the presence of Clancy Brown.

Sheriff Mom is a divorced single mother with childhood abandonment issues, ex-firefighter father with cancer, mysterious symbols on the TV -- wow, this show is checking all the boxes.

There's no way that plane would have been carted away overnight.  Did they find the body of the pilot ? Or pilots ?

And we meet Benny on the beach -- at least the props guys got his UK Driving license reasonably correct -- he's a private investigator from London.
Was he in the area last night BEFORE the plane crashed ?

Homeland Security research facility on an isolated island not far away, that is apparently big enough to have an airstrip big enough for a medium-size private jet.  That's not suspicious at all.  Possibly related to the weird aurora on the night of the crash.

Looks like the real NTSB raked up the beach after they were done excavating the plane remnants because most of the tracks in the sand were gone.

How did Donald Faison ever hook up with sheriff Marge Gunderson ?

So, a full day has gone by -- is the local police for still searching for Piper ?  Coincidentally, that's just the time the Piper's "parents" show up.  And they're pretty sure they would need some identification to claim their child.  Wow, that's a huge tipoff that these are not her real parents.  But Sheriff Marge takes it up a notch to see "Olivia's photos on the phone.

And magically, there are more power issues and Piper's "parents" have disappeared.  Apparently 'they' have transporter technology from Star Trek.

Now the beach house has power issues, but in this case someone just cut the power line..  And Piper appears to cause another electro-magnetic event in the basement.

This kid is basically Bruce Willis from Unbreakable -- heck, she even kept her toque on after the mysterious "crash" where the red SUV flipped over.

Sheriff Jo has great reflexes -- because her police vehicle was braking BEFORE the red SUV flipped into the air.
Other interesting note -- the red SUV was speeding down the road yet dead stopped and flipped over.  Even the debris stopped dead in its tracks instead of being flung forward by momentum.

I'm thinking Benny works for whoever "they" are and is running a long con on the chief -- that would make him the Sawyer of this show, all he needs to do now is starting giving out cute nicknames.  But Jo gives Benny the weird credit card shaped thing that they pulled off the dead body of the driver of the red SUV anyway since she doesn't know "who to trust".

The chief is really over confident in throwing out those 'evers' and 'nevers' to Piper -- if Piper wasn't constantly being hunted by "them" we wouldn't have much of a show.

Why isn't Jo bringing up more of the weirdness surrounding this kid ?  Because there is a lot of weirdness around Piper.

Ooooh, the glowing bead Piper removed from her neck has the same funky moving pattern as she saw on the TV.  Coincidence ?  I think not.
Without stitches or a band aid, how did she get her neck to stop bleeding ?  Watch the NTSB start digging up the sewers next episode, tracking that bead.

Combine Lost with Fargo and add a dash of Believe (the short-lived NBC show about a kid with seemingly magical powers on the run from a mysterious government agency), and you get Emergence.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9

I liked the show well enough to tune in again next week.  I don't understand the sheriff going back to her house after running to the beach house in the middle of the night.  Why does she feel safe enough to go back there - the "bad guys" could come back, you know.

One thing that I kept focusing during the pilot is that the sheriff's front door has a huge glass pane in the middle of it; I was tensing for the men in black to kick that in when they inevitably came for Piper.  There's always next week.

• Love 6

I really liked Piper's bed fitted into the Pentagon (5-sided) window. That would open up the rest of the room to be a large play area. The only problem would be the bed would get really cold in the winter.

29 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So, a full day has gone by -- is the local police for still searching for Piper ?  Coincidentally, that's just the time the Piper's "parents" show up.  And they're pretty sure they would need some identification to claim their child.  Wow, that's a huge tipoff that these are not her real parents.  But Sheriff Marge takes it up a notch to see "Olivia's photos on the phone.

I am pretty sure they had Olivia/Piper's Passport to prove she was their child. Although why would any American bring a passport on a camping trip, if the campsite is inside the U.S.A.

Haha, Piper lost her marbles!

Piper is a little Magneto? A "Mag-squito"?

• Love 7
12 hours ago, stealinghome said:

this show feels like it knows what it wants to be (which may be a Stranger Things knockoff but we'll see), while I'm still not sure Manifest has quite figured that out....

I hope that's the case that it has a plan and knows what it is doing. I feel like too many sci-fi shows THINK they have a plan but don't and then just start throwing everything they have until the show goes completely tits up. 

• Love 6

OK but where did Piper's beautifully decorated bedroom come from? Was it Mia's room and mom kicked her out? Does she just have a spare little girl's room in case one shows up? I was so distracted wondering about this that it took me out of the scene whenever it was shown. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I really liked this episode and actually stopped doing other things to give it my full attention. That seldom happens! I very much liked the Marge Gunderson cop, finally, a lead who looks like a normal person. The little girl was good too, I believed her acting all the way, no snark needed for her.

I didn't watch any of the shows referenced by other posters, except Lost. But I'm not thinking everyone on this show is dead (yet), so I don't see the comparison.

I missed the first 10 minutes (This Is Us ran long) so didn't see the crash or the discovery of Piper, but I guess that wasn't needed. The cop's right-hand man looked too young and was obviously (to me) not trustworthy. He looked familiar, turned out he was on Nightshift. (RIP) His was the only character I didn't find believable, the actor didn't fit the role iMO. All the other actors are new to me and were perfect.

The only thing I questioned was, no one noticed all the stuff flying around in the basement? Like the washing machine taking off across the room was normal, no need to comment on that? Okay then I guess.

I also wondered why Marge didn't go up the stairs to confront the intruder. She had a gun, warned the intruder she did, yet they all bailed out of the basement window? In real life, people get shot and killed by cops while sitting in their own apartments minding their own business. A tv perp should have been shot/killed on the spot. Or maybe the show wasn't ready yet for more people to vanish into thin air.

I'm glad the show was good, and I'm okay with overlooking some of the crazy based on the quality of the cast and acting. See ya'll next week!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Shouldn't there have been more plane pieces on the beach ?

...There's no way that plane would have been carted away overnight.  Did they find the body of the pilot ? Or pilots ?

It was a weather balloon, right? 😉

1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

I hope that's the case that it has a plan and knows what it is doing. I feel like too many sci-fi shows THINK they have a plan but don't and then just start throwing everything they have until the show goes completely tits up. 

Well put. Too bad the scifi/genre show producers don't seem to be getting the message. But it's not just them, or even just producers. It's a long-standing problem that goes back as far as traveling hucksters selling snake oil with, in this type of case, the writers or their reps doing the snake oil selling. 

Or, sometimes it's disagreements among the producers, networks, writers, et al.

Anyway, I'll give it another shot when I can unless something better turns up, but I'm not sucked in at this point.

Of course, shows that do suck us in (like Lost) seem to do it when we're not looking, if y'all know what I mean (around the virtual water cooler).

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I very much liked the Marge Gunderson cop, finally, a lead who looks like a normal person.

I don't necessarily object to the "sexy high heels and heavy makeup" type of female detective, but it is nice to see a variety.

Jo is obviously very sharp and clever in her approach to work, but I hope she gets over her slightly hesitant way of speaking and becomes more forceful as chief of police. If it's true that managerial styles trickle down, her sergeant also came off as a bit diffident and insecure. I agree that he's going to turn out to be some kind of rat.

It's a show with supernatural elements so I'm prepared to suspend disbelief, but the scenes with the intruder at the beach house were very badly handled from a tactical police standpoint.

All in all, this is my favorite pilot of the week so far.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, 2727 said:

It's a show with supernatural elements so I'm prepared to suspend disbelief, but the scenes with the intruder at the beach house were very badly handled from a tactical police standpoint.

I'm choosing to believe she made poor choices because she wanted to make sure her family was safe and couldn't get caught in the cross-fire, because otherwise I agree. She's the chief of police for goodness sake. I'm sure there would have been a better way to handle the situation than she did. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

OK but where did Piper's beautifully decorated bedroom come from? Was it Mia's room and mom kicked her out? Does she just have a spare little girl's room in case one shows up? I was so distracted wondering about this that it took me out of the scene whenever it was shown. 

I was guessing that Jo moved back home with her father after her divorce. Depending on how many rooms/children Jo's father had, it might be an old unused room.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was guessing that Jo moved back home with her father after her divorce. Depending on how many rooms/children Jo's father had, it might be an old unused room.

Maybe. When she started telling Piper about how something sad happened when she was her age, I was thinking she might say that she had a sister who vanished and this was her room. This also led me to thinking about how Piper looks a lot like a younger version of Jo to me, maybe a stretch but I was wondering if that could be of any significance.

• Love 8

I enjoyed the pilot, but am totally lost when it comes to all the Lost comparisons.  I hope it doesn't go that way, because Lost was a total shitshow from start to finish (I should know, I watched every episode, becoming more bitter and jaded as each episode unfolded).

I'll stay tuned, but if they pull out a polar bear, smoke monster, Darva or purgatory switcheroo, I am OUT.

• LOL 9
  • Love 11

I was going to say that (for me) this is probably one of the best pilots I've seen since Sleepy Hollow (RIP), but maybe I'm being influenced by the presence of Sheriff Corbin (Clancy Brown). Gulp, we know how that one turned out....

Very likeable cast, a big upgrade from Manifest and Passage last season (which share many plot elements and tropes with Emergence).

I have to say, the title is BAD. It's way too easy to read as 'Emergency', and in general, I'm just tired of these Marvel-type one word names.

• Love 14
50 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I'll stay tuned, but if they pull out a polar bear, smoke monster, Darva or purgatory switcheroo, I am OUT.

LOL! I hear you. Those are six years of my life I want back. The ratings for this one are fractional straight out of the starting gate so the show may never get a chance to get there.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

This show scared the ever-loving crap out of me.  Which is fun sometimes. 

The chief of police lady is great.  The character has a sense of humour and a great spidey-sense.  Oh, please don't kill off poor old grandpa.  I thought when they were all trying to get out of the basement window, he'd be left behind and grabbed by the aliens or whatever the hell the evil presence turns out to be.  Now I'm guessing that maybe the little girl will somehow miraculously cure him of his illness with her special powers.

I'll tune in again, as long as we get some well thought-out plots.  I don't mind suspending disbelief a bit in the name of a nice bit of fantasy with these types of shows, but good writing is what will keep me coming back.

Seriously - if I ran into that little girl in the dark somewhere, I'd run screaming in the other direction.  Brrrrrrr.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was thinking Jo said that was her old room. I guess the house is big enough that it wasn't needed until Piper showed up. That, plus it was probably plenty cold in winter and Dad might have shut the heat off to that attic unused room.

I didn't see anything creepy or scary about the little Piper girl at all. She has an innocent look to her IMO.

While @walnutqueen might be out, I'd be good with Lost's Desmond showing up every once in a while.

7 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

So many other things in the Sheriff's bedroom should have moved other than that paper clip in a magnetic field that strong.  Just saying.

It's Selective Magnetism! I think we'd better get used to it on this show.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I can't help comparing this to Manifest from last season and think this show is ahead. The central kid character isn't as annoying and this show feels like it knows what it wants to be (which may be a Stranger Things knockoff but we'll see), while I'm still not sure Manifest has quite figured that out....

With a cast consisting of Alison Tolman, Clancy Brown, Donald Faison, and Owain Yeoman from the Mentalist, it's already starting way ahead right out of the gate. Heck, it could BE Manifest and still be tons better. But I think it's a pretty solid start with an excellent cast.

18 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Was I the only one who thought that Piper was going to use the box cutter to peel back her face and reveal some alien life form?    

Nope. I was already cringing.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It was a weather balloon, right? 😉

Nah, it's the 21st Century - we've upgraded to Drones. 😉

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I figured it was her old room. What a cool room, or at least window and window seat.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Ooooh, the glowing bead Piper removed from her neck has the same funky moving pattern as she saw on the TV.  Coincidence ?  I think not.
Without stitches or a band aid, how did she get her neck to stop bleeding ?  Watch the NTSB start digging up the sewers next episode, tracking that bead.

I thought she may be some kind of healer, or have healing powers. She didn't have a scratch on her after the car crash, and was likely on that plane. Although, then I'm not sure why she'd need to take her hair down to cover up the mark.

I really liked this, but it did feel a lot like some other show I watched recently. There was one where people washed up from the beach mysteriously, and there was a kid by herself, shady government people, and good hearted cops. It did not last long.

• Love 4

F*** Disney/ABC. (One and the same). It took them less two minutes to stick in a plug for one of the limbs of their gigantic ‘tree of greed’.  Toy story.

just started to watch but I am in because I am a fan of Allison.  I loved her in Downward Dog.  Still have all the episodes on my DVR. 🐕

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Not sure I'm hooked, but as long as there isn't something else pulling me away from that time slot, I'll keep watching. 

My first thought was I hope at some point the cast Donna Champlin (Paula from Crazy Ex- Girlfriend) as Jo's sister.  They really do have a strong resemblance. 

My second thought was, yeah!  Clancy Brown!  Please let him survive past the first few episodes.  (Damn you Sleepy Hollow.)  And give him lots and lots of lines.  I love that man's voice.  He did get out of the basement, right?

Other random thoughts:

So disappointed there wasn't a Charmed reference to naming the kid Piper.  Jo's the right age to have been a fan of the original. 

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought Piper picked up the tv remote.  I was a little lost when she pulled out the box cutter from her pocket. 

I'm liking Donald Faison in a non-comedic role. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought she may be some kind of healer, or have healing powers. She didn't have a scratch on her after the car crash, and was likely on that plane. Although, then I'm not sure why she'd need to take her hair down to cover up the mark.

I think healing is one of several powers she possesses. The way she declared that the cancer drugs were not working on the grandfather makes me think she can sense illness and treat it. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I really liked this, but it did feel a lot like some other show I watched recently. There was one where people washed up from the beach mysteriously, and there was a kid by herself, shady government people, and good hearted cops. It did not last long.

Sidebar: You're thinking of the 'The Crossing', which only lasted 11 episodes.

End Sidebar

30 minutes ago, laprin said:

I think healing is one of several powers she possesses. The way she declared that the cancer drugs were not working on the grandfather makes me think she can sense illness and treat it. 

So far we've seen electro-magnetic control, control of water, telekinetic ability (flipping that SUV), healing power and/or invincible power (like Bruce Willis in 'Unbreakable'), and possible medical sensitivity.

Hopefully she doesn't end up with so many powers that a new plot-convenient power pops up every week.  Because that would get old quickly.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

Maybe. When she started telling Piper about how something sad happened when she was her age, I was thinking she might say that she had a sister who vanished and this was her room. This also led me to thinking about how Piper looks a lot like a younger version of Jo to me, maybe a stretch but I was wondering if that could be of any significance.

I TOTALLY thought the same. I’m wondering if she is a time-traveling relative of Jo’s somehow, because the show (IMO) really played up the resemblance between them.

56 minutes ago, laprin said:

Same. At some point you just KNOW he’s going to have a medical emergency and she’s going to heal him...and miraculously the cancer will significantly recede too.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lifesabeach said:

F*** Disney/ABC. (One and the same). It took them less two minutes to stick in a plug for one of the limbs of their gigantic ‘tree of greed’.  Toy story.

just started to watch but I am in because I am a fan of Allison.  I loved her in Downward Dog.  Still have all the episodes on my DVR. 🐕

Huh.  Didn't really think of that until you pointed it out.  I was thinking Police Chief mom was going to suggest "Jessie" for her name.

Just gonna say, if that bugs you, don't watch the latest episode of The Goldbergs.  Or pretty much any ABC sitcom ever 🙂

I was looking for this thread in 'Genre' and was surprised to find it here.

I'm with the rest of you are will turn in for one or two more.  There were definitely a few hand wavey moments, but on the whole it was engaging.  I came for Alison Tolman, and Clancy Brown is a good bonus.  (I also watched a bit of Sleepy Hollow and got awfully nervous for him in the basement scene.)  The similarities between this character and Tolman's Fargo character, Molly Solverson, are hard to ignore. 

8 hours ago, 2727 said:

Jo is obviously very sharp and clever in her approach to work, but I hope she gets over her slightly hesitant way of speaking and becomes more forceful as chief of police.

In the few moments of normal procedural before the scifi kicked in she was authoritative and measured, so part of this may be the response to the unknown. 

Though, one of the tenets of the Marge Gunderson school of management is speak softly and catch them off guard.  The best moment of that in this episode was when she asked to see pictures of Piper on the "father's" phone. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

My second thought was, yeah!  Clancy Brown!  Please let him survive past the first few episodes.  (Damn you Sleepy Hollow.)  And give him lots and lots of lines.  I love that man's voice.  He did get out of the basement, right?

I did not remember him from Sleepy Hollow!  I just think of him as - that guy - he looks like a slightly older Jon Stewart - where do I know him from? (Goldbergs & Schooled, I guess.)  But my daughter, who grew up on Nick/etc. animated series, recognized the voice.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I TOTALLY thought the same. I’m wondering if she is a time-traveling relative of Jo’s somehow, because the show (IMO) really played up the resemblance between them.

Hey, that made me suppose that Jo's mom left/vanished because she was abducted by aliens and Piper is Jo's alien sister come back to earth.

Well, it worked (sort of) for The X Files.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I did not remember him from Sleepy Hollow!  I just think of him as - that guy - he looks like a slightly older Jon Stewart - where do I know him from? (Goldbergs & Schooled, I guess.)  But my daughter, who grew up on Nick/etc. animated series, recognized the voice.

Sidebar:  It is unreal how much voice work Clancy Brown has done for animated TV shows.  And amongst many other things, he also played the Kurgan in the first 'Highlander' movie way back in 1986 and Sgt. Zim in 'Starship Troopers'.

End Sidebar

It will be curious to see what happens when the local townsfolk all learn that Jo is harboring a child survivor of the 'drone' crash.  Because that info will get out in a small town like Southold out on Long Island.

Another thing I noticed on re-watch -- in the background sky at night, you don't see individual stars or the moon, but you can actually see the Milky Way.  That has to mean something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Kurgan!

I, too, thought it was a solid pilot and will be back for more.  I did feel shades of Manifest, although I couldn't recall the name of that show until I came here and read the comments. I liked the beginning of this one better. I also like that Chief Jo looks rather ordinary and not some glam queen. Seems more "real".

On 9/24/2019 at 10:42 PM, Bulldog said:

Apparently not, including me.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

I thought there might be a connection when Piper almost immediately decided she was trustworthy and would not leave her side. 

I wasn't as thrilled with it as others. I thought the middle part dragged and I can just see this show spinning its wheels on any plot development.  I am sooo tired of that kind of thing. Ah la Manifest. 

I did enjoy Jo outsmarting the "parents" with old school simplicity of asking to see the phone. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was scrolling through IMDB to find the first show I noticed him in, and man does the man have a boat load of credits. Anyway, it was in a short lived series called "Earth2," which I liked and thought (back in 1994) that he was pretty hot. He was also in Shawshank Redemption that year - but I didn't see it until a number of years later.

• Love 6

In for Alison Tolman and what I hope is a great story.  Clancy Brown and Donald Faison are bonuses! Enjoyed the premiere, but have some concerns as there should have been more of a freak out in that basement scene from the ex-husband, and then the removal of the "bubble" seemed kind of cliched, but we shall see. 

Fingers crossed for a great series.  Also, loved the house they live in. 

• Love 6

So this is awfully Stranger Things, with a little girl with powers abandoned and cared for by a police chief. I find it really weird how much she is choosing to prioritize this little girl more than her own biological child, and how much that biological child is in love  with her too so I'm going to assume one of her powers is to make everyone prioritize her above all other things and that she's a Bad Seed evil little girl. I least I hope so. God let's do something really fresh. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Technically, if Piper let the marble roll down the sink it would get stuck in the U-bend and remain in the house. Whoever is looking for her could still find the house. She should have plopped it in the toilet.

Excellent point. I'd just assumed that it would enter the wastewater flow into Peconic Bay, but you're probably right about the U-bend. I'm sure that in the show, this will not be the case and the tracker will be gone.

Of course, the not-NTSB folks would be watching the police chief's house and would know that Piper is back there anyway.

• Love 4