Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

Malcom Bright knows how killers think and how their minds work, because his father, Dr. Martin Whilty, was one of the most notorious serial killers, called "The Surgeon." Alongside his longtime mentor, Gil Arroyo, and detectives Dani Powell and JT Tarmel, he helps the NYPD solve crimes by profiling killers, while also dealing with a manipulative mother, Jessica Whilty, an annoyingly normal sister, Ainsley Whilty and a homicidal father still looking to bond with his prodigal son.

Series premiere, airing Monday, September 23, 2019, on Fox.

Just finished watching this - I like it! Tom Payne is excellent and I enjoyed the other characters. I know there has been worry about Michael Sheen going over the top from previews, but I thought he was fairly (not totally, mind you!) restrained in this. It's full of actors I enjoy, and I'm in for the long haul, I think!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I loved it!

Unfortunately, that means that it's doomed...

As for Michael Sheen being restrained, that's somewhat hilarious when taken in context!

Edited by Sile
  • LOL 15
  • Love 7

I’m a big fan of profiling shows, of crime procedurals, and Michael Sheen, so this should’ve been a winner for me. Unfortunately, it wasn’t. 

Frankly, after watching the pilot, the only reason I wanted to see another episode was Michael Sheen and since I think the inclusion of his character in future episodes will become a more obvious reach as the show progresses, that’s not very promising. I understand that’s the “unique” hook for this show, but as charismatic as I did find Sheen, I think this kind of hook might hamper the show if the rest of the show isn’t compelling enough.

And that was my main problem. The energy of the show AND Tom Payne felt very off to me.  There was this unearned frenetic pacing and in Payne’s performance, which hugely lacked in the charisma department. Like when Bright gives his emotional confessional about who his father is, it felt rushed and like it shouldn’t have happened just yet. Payne plays up tics with his face and hands and his body, but it’s very affected, and I wish it played smoother. I kept wanting more of a Spencer Reid energy, awkward and intelligent and obviously traumatized. Payne’s Bright was too exaggerated to me and came off forced.

Speaking of trauma, a young child is allowed to have Starling/Lecter-like interview sessions with his serial killer dad? I get it once Bright was older, but I wondered how and where that was permitted when he was still a child. 

There were some super close camera moments, it was overly scored to the point of it sounding like a bad horror movie, and by the end of the episode, Bright actually calls himself “Prodigal Son” out loud, but it’s a pilot and most pilots are a mess. Maybe it’ll find it’s footing and charisma as it settles in. Like I said, I want to come back for Sheen, but I hope I’ll want to come back for the rest of the show in the future. I mean, Lou Diamond Phillips is right there! 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 13
On 9/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, saoirse said:

I know there has been worry about Michael Sheen going over the top from previews, but I thought he was fairly (not totally, mind you!) restrained in this. It's full of actors I enjoy, and I'm in for the long haul, I think!

I see what you did there. And yes, he did not go full Underworld.

So I imagine there will be two sets of crimes, random psychos and acolytes of The Surgeon.

This looks like a lot of fun and I enjoyed it.   I like Malcom and the unreliableness of his past and if he is like his father or the cop who he saved.   Plus the family dynamic is interesting as well.   I like Bethany Young and she was  a hoot  in this.   I am in for at least a few more episodes.

i don’t expect this to be realistic at all especially with a kid spending time with his serial killer dad but I just shrug that off a necessary part of the shows DNA.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Why did The Surgeon have such a prison cell/office?  Because of fees from Saudi patients he had treated in the past?  And he was allowed to keep his patient files?  Does this make any sense?  I could only see something like this happening (minus the former patient files) if he were actually consulting for the FBI and recreating his office was the condition he had set.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 21

Ok, so I'll admit that this originally intrigued me only because it's from the creator of the much short-lived and very recent favourite of mine, Deception. So, hearing about this show absolutely got me to tune in and be interested.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but....I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this pilot. I think it has some very interesting elements to it. Maybe not anything really unique, but there's still something that could be refreshing, with Malcolm being the son of a serial killer and seeming to show some tendencies himself.

I also love that they revealed his secret pretty much immediately. 

I think Tom Payne did a good job with what he was given. I thought he portrayed the erraticness of Malcolm. 

I mean, I need to give it a couple of more episodes, but I think I'm in it for the long haul...as long as it's not cancelled as fast as Deception was! 

• Love 9

It is hard to get the character and chemistry down for a pilot. 

I like how he just hacked that guys arm off instead of trying to defuse the bomb. If he got it with one chop it can be re attached, a few chops and forget about it. Makes me kind of wonder how somebody who just got booted from the FBI with cause would not get shown the door at the NYPD for that little trick.

17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Why did The Surgeon have such a prison cell/office?  Because of fees from Saudi patients he had treated in the past?  And he was allowed to keep his patient files?  Does this make any sense?  I could only see something like this happening (minus the former patient files) if he were actually consulting for the FBI and recreating his office was the condition he had set.

I think they were saying he treats important people now while in jail and his reward is a nice office in the prison and not money. In this day and age all his assets would have gone to the families of the people he killed because of lawsuits and anything he could possible earn (book deals etc) would be snagged as well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
Just now, UnknownK said:
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think they were saying he treats important people now while in jail and his reward is a nice office in the prison and not money. In this day and age all his assets would have gone to the families of the people he killed because of lawsuits and anything he could possible earn (book deals etc) would be snagged as well.

So the warden is presumably accepting bribes from rich inmates (or funneled through The Surgeon) to let The Surgeon treat said inmates?  Still seems unlikely, even for a TV show (that isn't meant to be a fantasy.)

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So the warden is presumably accepting bribes from rich inmates (or funneled through The Surgeon) to let The Surgeon treat said inmates?  Still seems unlikely, even for a TV show (that isn't meant to be a fantasy.)

More of a consultant and not the actual doctor which is why he has all those books around. Patients must come to see him with the consultations which is why he has that metal chain connected to the wall when people are around and how that killer ripped his notes out of the notebook.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

b-sound.jpg

A short take- I think this episode really tried too hard to make things creepy and show just how badly Malcolm Bright is affected by his demons. Of particular note, Michael Sheen had his moments where he was particularly over the top, and some of those "childhood" scenes were pretty redundant.

...but, there's an excellent cast here, and one that works very well together. Right off the bat each character has nuances and depth that tells me they could all be very interesting and there's a lot of nice, rich dynamics the show could explore if they wanted to go there.

There's the nucleus for a show that could really be a hit, especially one that can prove with Criminal Minds on the way out that serial killers can still capture the attention of a wide audience.

They just have to make sure they understand to keep things simple and grounded and let the story do its job. No need for over-the-top theatrics or gimmicks are needed for this show to work.

One final note- Malcolm Bright reminded me a lot of CM's Spencer Reid, albeit without the social awkwardness. I'd been saying for years that I thought Reid deserves his own show- if this takes off, in a roundabout kind of way I just may get that.

We'll see how it goes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, UnknownK said:

More of a consultant and not the actual doctor which is why he has all those books around. Patients must come to see him with the consultations which is why he has that metal chain connected to the wall when people are around and how that killer ripped his notes out of the notebook.

I thought the killer was The Surgeon's patient before The Surgeon went to jail, which is why I didn't understand how he had patient files from so long ago.  Did we hear that the copycat killer had been in jail?  I really don't think that a civilian dom would be allowed to visit a prisoner for a consultation.

• Love 4

I thought the description sounded somewhat intriguing but the pilot, at least, was so dark.  And I'm not talking about subject matter (although that too of course) but in look and even atmosphere it just felt heavy in a way that just wasn't all that intriguing to me. 

I might take a look at another episode but it disappointed me.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He made a point of telling Malcolm that he treated people of dubious means.     I am guessing that the cell is used to show that even a decade later he has more influence then he should because of his wealth, intelligence and privilege.  

Of course it would probably not happen in real life but it does work in the universe.  This man of means murders a bunch of people and even after he is caught nothing much actually changes for him. 

Oh yeah I meant to add that I really liked the family dynamic.   Mom looked like an overprotective flake in the beginning breaking into Malcolm’s home and offered him a pharmacy’s worth of drugs but a few scenes later when Malcolm was talking about The Surgeons murders in such clinical terms she knew all their names.  Plus reporter sister who was too young to remember dad but still has a job that might put her on the same trail as Malcolm.  The family dynamic looks as interesting as the police stuff.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Okay, I really liked it.  Michael Sheen was clearly enjoying his "Hannibal Lecter" act.  It must be a really fun part to play.  Tom Payne, who I hadn't seen before, did a pretty good job for a pilot.  Lots of room to watch him grow.  I mean, he's just off-putting enough that I really can't tell which father figure is going to win him in the end.  The smile when he raised his axe was very creepy, like he enjoyed the opportunity to cut off someone's arm.  It's also interesting that his memories of the past aren't exactly reliable.  Of course, I'm always here for more Lou Diamond Phillips on my screen. 

My only issue is the writing.  Cop Daddy (Phillips) already had three bodies before he calls in Bright/Malcolm (Payne).  Three bodies with three identical bruises on the arm and phone records that indicate that all three went to the same BDSM guy.  Doesn't take a genius profiler to see that the BDSM guy needs to be interviewed.  Or that some of his other clients might be in danger.  The cops seemed fairly competent.  Now, this may just be a pilot issue.  Plots could get stronger, or maybe a better explanation as to why this brilliant profiler needs to work with the cops. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kirkola said:

Okay, I really liked it.  Michael Sheen was clearly enjoying his "Hannibal Lecter" act.  It must be a really fun part to play.  Tom Payne, who I hadn't seen before, did a pretty good job for a pilot.  Lots of room to watch him grow.  I mean, he's just off-putting enough that I really can't tell which father figure is going to win him in the end.  The smile when he raised his axe was very creepy, like he enjoyed the opportunity to cut off someone's arm.  It's also interesting that his memories of the past aren't exactly reliable.  Of course, I'm always here for more Lou Diamond Phillips on my screen.

My only issue is the writing.  Cop Daddy (Phillips) already had three bodies before he calls in Bright/Malcolm (Payne).  Three bodies with three identical bruises on the arm and phone records that indicate that all three went to the same BDSM guy.  Doesn't take a genius profiler to see that the BDSM guy needs to be interviewed.  Or that some of his other clients might be in danger.  The cops seemed fairly competent.  Now, this may just be a pilot issue.  Plots could get stronger, or maybe a better explanation as to why this brilliant profiler needs to work with the cops.

I usually give a new show a few episodes before I give up on it. The unreliable narrator bit I kind of like. Has a few new shows I'm trying.

• Love 1

Nothing is truly original anymore.  I don’t mind really as long as the writing is good and the story is entertaining.  

There was an unpopular storyline on Criminal Minds after the show fired two of its female leads to save money and hired another female....anywhoo the story itself was interesting if the show had gone anywhere with it but it didn’t (not that it had any time to mind you).  The daughter of a serial killer becomes a profiler.  

This also has a lot of Dexter and the under-watched tv version of Hannibal.   In that you are never completely sure whose story to trust or who to root for really.

This has all the bones for a really good show.  If it can keep it going long run.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

So in the Prodigal Son universe, a little boy can have dark brown eyes and then they become pale blue in adulthood, huh.

I liked 'Jesus' on The Walking Dead, but not sure I buy him as this 'severely disturbed yet high functioning' guy. And while I'm enjoying Sheen's rug chewing, not sure I'll sustain that interest over 20 (or whatever) episodes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, nokat said:

I felt like it was a Dexter wannabe. Watched because I'm a fan of Michael Sheen. Remember on Dexter, his Dad was a psycho, and kept appearing in episodes.

There was also an episode on L & O: Criminal Intent where Bobby Goren found out that his biological father (Roy Scheider) was a soon-to-be-executed serial killer.  This knowledge continued to hang over him, and made him wonder if he was like his father.

At least the sister didn't turn out to be the 4th intended victim (which is what I was anticipating before we found out about the age/ S & M requirements.)  I'm sure that's coming, though.  If The Surgeon doesn't feel particularly bonded with his daughter, perhaps he'll use her safety as a bargaining tool against his son, at some point.  He also doesn't seem too fond of his ex-wife. . . .

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

At least the sister didn't turn out to be the 4th intended victim (which is what I was anticipating before we found out about the age/ S & M requirements.)  I'm sure that's coming, though.  If The Surgeon doesn't feel particularly bonded with his daughter, perhaps he'll use her safety as a bargaining tool against his son, at some point.  He also doesn't seem too fond of his ex-wife. . . .

I suspect that there is a general element of misogyny to serial killers.  Women only being good as property or trophies for them to collect.  And in this case, the Serial Killer Dad only had an interest in grooming his son.  His daughter is far less important.  And I suspect that in future episodes, we're going to see that Bright/Malcolm was a larger part of Serial Killer Dad's previous crimes.  At least, that's what the "next time on..." seemed to hint at.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, kirkola said:

I suspect that there is a general element of misogyny to serial killers.  Women only being good as property or trophies for them to collect.  And in this case, the Serial Killer Dad only had an interest in grooming his son.  His daughter is far less important.  And I suspect that in future episodes, we're going to see that Bright/Malcolm was a larger part of Serial Killer Dad's previous crimes.  At least, that's what the "next time on..." seemed to hint at.

Which is definitely interesting, because who knows if Malcolm's sister also had the tendencies that their father has. It would certainly be interesting to study the entire family. His sister (Ainsley, I had to look it up) could very well be just as dangerous and they don't even know it. Prodigal Dad may have been grooming the wrong child. Although, it does seem like Malcolm is going to turn out more like his dad than he'd like. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Ooh, I don't know whether to give this show a try. Ever since Freaks and Geeks was canceled after the first season I'm loathe to try new shows until they get established. But I really like Tom Payne and Michael Sheen. WhatdoIdo?????

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I really thought I'd like this, but for some reason, I just didn't.    Pass.  

I felt that way too.  Great cast - but dang, Tom Payne was chewing the scenery.  I am hoping it tones down, being this was the pilot.  I found myself so bored, every time he did something stupid or annoying I yelled "JESUS!".    I may or may not have annoyed the heck out of hubby.

Kept expecting Sheen to mince about, grab a glass of wine, and generally act like Aziraphale  (he owned that role - if you have not watched Good Omens...  check it out, it is just a delightful, fun, treat).

I simply adore Bellamy Young beyond words, but even she fell flat to me.   She can be such a badass, she was just...  meh.

Dipping into the shallow end of the pool:  Damn, LDP is looking good.  He is aging very, very nicely.  

I will tune in for another few episodes - and may even re-watch this one another time.  Sometimes mood makes a big difference. 

15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I mean, I need to give it a couple of more episodes, but I think I'm in it for the long haul...as long as it's not cancelled as fast as Deception was! 

Sniffle.   Deception.   

Edited by Stella Rose
  • Love 2

This had a lot of issues that a lot of pilots have (going super hard on the gimmick, show trying to find its directorial tone, actors are still trying to find their characters) but I still enjoyed it and I think it has a lot of potential. Michael Sheen is always great, and the rest of the cast is really good too. I know that a lot of people were worried that Michael Sheen would go super over the top, but I thought he was suitably creepy here without being too obviously "muahahah" about everything. I mean, I saw him in the Twilight sequels, and he will never top how hammy he was in those! "Heloooooooo Bellllaaaa"

Some of the "I understand how killers think" crime scheme reenacting while Malcolm flaps his arms around did come across as pretty ridiculous, probably because I've seen scenes like it a million times. But Tom Payne is quite good, so I think he pulls it off pretty well.

I like the backstory with little Malcolm finding one of his dads victims and him calling the cops, and his evil bio dad and his good surrogate dad who he met the night his dad was arrested (who he also saved) as the kind of angel and devil on his shoulders. Its very thematic, and there is some unreliable narrator things happening in the flashback to keep the surprises coming. The whole family dynamic with his mom and sister seems interesting in general. I kind of wonder, with everyone so worried that Malcolm will turn out like his father, that his sister will is actually the one with serial killer tendencies that is following in her fathers footsteps. 

The super nice cell/study that killer dad has is certainly...a lot, I guess he has his rich clients or former clients paying the warden off, but that is a bit much. The show in general had a few "thats a bit much" moments, like the over the top lighting and the whole "His Prodigal Son" speech, but thats something that can be worked on as the series goes on. I hope that it lasts long enough to live up to its potential though!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

Didn't like it as much as I thought I would - it just got more and more unrealistic as the show went on (ie, that ridiculous cell/office, not one of those competent cops getting the BDSM angle, that completely inappropriate name "Bright" that Malcolm/Tom picked for himself, that a cop would instantly believe a little boy that a well-known surgeon was going to kill him for some unknown reason) but I'm willing to give it some time since this is the pilot.

My favorite thing:  VIC - very important cadaver. 

• Love 3

At the end of the first episode I thought "well, I think I liked that".  I'm still not completely sure, but I will watch the next episode. 

There were some things that stood out - I'm partial to Sheen and absolutely loved his scene-chewing.  Lou Diamond Philips cemented his place with his role on Psych, so even though I wasn't super impressed with his scenes he gets a pass.  I liked Payne, but I do hope he settles in a little better as the show goes on.  A pilot is often uneven, so I'm willing to see what happens in a couple more episodes.

And while I liked the mother well enough, I found it distracting that she appears so young - too young to be Malcolm's mother.  And then there's the sister.  I cannot take her seriously as some intrepid reporter, so that was also a distraction.    I like the female cop, and am open on the male cop.  It'll take a little more than we saw of him to decide if he's going to just be the stock character opposed to the civilian consultant. 

I do think there will be more layers exposed for Malcolm.  I don't know if it was script or just actor, but the exultant look on his face when he came out of the building after chopping of the guys hand was creepy. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

His sister (Ainsley, I had to look it up) could very well be just as dangerous and they don't even know it.

I feel like that would be a waste of Halston Sage in that it would be a storyline they'd use only because "they had nothing for her to do". I'm sure she'd do well as "the more evil one all along" but that kind of story is great for an exit arc and nothing more.

I'd rather have Ainsley also fight her demons but also be in more control of them. She can act like Malcolm's "guardian angel" much like Gil does, helping Malcolm stay grounded. We could also find out she took up crime reporting because she is interested in learning more about herself.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This also has a lot of Dexter and the under-watched tv version of Hannibal.   In that you are never completely sure whose story to trust or who to root for really.

The first thing I thought of was the Hugh Dancy character in TVs Hannibal. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

Kept expecting Sheen to mince about, grab a glass of wine, and generally act like Aziraphale  (he owned that role - if you have not watched Good Omens...  check it out, it is just a delightful, fun, treat).

That was sooooo good. It's probably why I gave this show a try.

Tennant and Sheen together. So good.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, nokat said:

I felt like it was a Dexter wannabe. Watched because I'm a fan of Michael Sheen. Remember on Dexter, his Dad was a psycho, and kept appearing in episodes.

Off topic, but Dexter’s adoptive dad, Harry, was who always appeared to him and he was a cop, not a psycho. Harry tried to help Dexter make space for his murderous tendencies, while also maintaining a normal passing life. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
On 9/23/2019 at 9:05 PM, Chaos Theory said:

This looks like a lot of fun and I enjoyed it.   I like Malcom and the unreliableness of his past and if he is like his father or the cop who he saved.   Plus the family dynamic is interesting as well.   I like Bethany Young and she was  a hoot  in this.   I am in for at least a few more episodes.

i don’t expect this to be realistic at all especially with a kid spending time with his serial killer dad but I just shrug that off a necessary part of the shows DNA.   

Well, I have to ignore all the unrealistic parts to enjoy this show. 😅 Given how Hollywood doesn't portray prisons realistically, Malcolm still could have pulled off a Clarice by going to visit his father in prison where he would actually be. Given how high profile the case was and the FBI background checks. There would be no need to change his last name since the department would already know who he is. Also his sister (who's a reporter?) and his mother who still hangs out with NYC's other finest never moved or changed their names. They still live in NYC. People would know who he is. You're (not actually you)  telling me if he didn't reveal it to the killer. Nobody working for the NYPD outside of LDP would know who he actually is? And he doesn't officially work for them yet so he wouldn't even be allowed at any crime scene or anywhere near the case. But these shows always break every rule in the very episode. lol I wonder if mama was involved because these shows always use flashbacks to expose some kind of big secret doing sweeps. Malcolm will have childhood flashback after flashback which will reveal some huge twist as the season goes on. Of course he and AP going to totally bang before the season's over because the trope says so unless TPTB shocks us and doesn't go there. Based on her comments about her ex she's heterosexual or bisexual, so the trope has a 98% chance of happening. Malcolm is easy on the eyes but I would be afraid to have sex with his ass. He looks like he'd bite you  or something that goes beyond normal fun sexual behavior. 😬

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

Of course he and AP going to totally bang before the season's over because the trope says so unless TPTB shocks us and doesn't go there. Based on her comments about her ex she's heterosexual or bisexual, so the trope has a 98% chance of happening. Malcolm is easy on the eyes but I would be afraid to have sex with his ass. He looks like he'd bite you  or something that goes beyond normal fun sexual behavior. 😬

He does have those restraints attached to his bed 😉

I like this so far, will definitely watch the next few episodes. I LOL'd when Michael Sheen said "I'm a vegan now and I haven't seen your mother in 20 years."

Edited by MaggieG
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2019 at 12:11 PM, Stella Rose said:

Good Omens is in my top three books of all-time and Michael Sheen is my favorite actor.  So, match made in heaven, right?

Oddly enough, no.  I never even watched the last episode.  I really disliked Frances McDormand's narration, as she just didn't seem to hit the required dryness (someone like Emma Thompson would have hit a home run, I think).  But I think it might have been more that nothing could live up to what has been in my head while reading it dozens of time over the years.

I can't fault the leads, though.  Michael Sheen was remotely what I'd pictured as Aziraphale, but he was the angel I never knew I wanted until I got it.  I also loved Tennant, even though I've never seen Doctor Who.

7 hours ago, MaggieG said:

He does have those restraints attached to his bed 😉

I like this so far, will definitely watch the next few episodes. I LOL'd when Michael Sheen said "I'm a vegan now and I haven't seen your mother in 20 years."

In a show full of great lines, this was one of my favorites.  And, really, could anybody else pull that off like Michael Sheen did?  (Yes, I'm an unabashed Sheen fangirl, I've loved him since I first saw him in a bit part in Mary Reilly).

But I think the best line was his mom breezily and casually informing him that "I had Luisa change your sheets and wipe down your restraints".

• Love 6

I think Tom Payne is(and looks) way too old to be playing the son of Michael Sheen and Bellamy Young. I mean, at least Sheen looks kinda older, so I can say he's mid 50's, but Bellamy Young looks like she could be playing Tom Payne's older sister, not his mom. The 13 year difference is way more obvious between them then the 14 year old difference between Sheen and Payne. I guess we're supposed to think "She's rich, she had some GREAT work done so she looks twenty to thirty years younger than she is" because...yeah I don' buy it.  

But I don't buy a lot of what Payne is bringing to this role. I'd much rather watch a Young/Sheen centric show. 

• Love 6
On 9/25/2019 at 2:26 AM, Simba122504 said:

Well, I have to ignore all the unrealistic parts to enjoy this show.

I think that has to be the standard for pretty much all shows, lol.  

Me at the start of the show:  Why does he wear those crazy ass restraints to sleep?

Me halfway through the show:  Ohhhhhhh-kay, now I get it. 

Must make for interesting sleepovers. 

• LOL 2
On 9/24/2019 at 3:53 PM, tennisgurl said:

Some of the "I understand how killers think" crime scheme reenacting while Malcolm flaps his arms around did come across as pretty ridiculous, probably because I've seen scenes like it a million times. But Tom Payne is quite good, so I think he pulls it off pretty well.

Shawn did it better on Psych, but that's just my opinion. 

I really enjoyed the Pilot. The dad is creepy without being mustache-twirling evil. The son is also creepy in his own way-- and very interesting. Can't wait to see how the season unfolds. 

Lou Diamond Phillips (why can't I remember any of the characters' names?) is always a joy to behold. I'm hoping he'll eventually reveal his own secrets/demons/struggles and isn't just a boring good-guy cop. Like, what happened to his wife? Or is she alive and I misheard that conversation?

I liked the female cop -- Aurora Perrineau. At first I thought actor Harold Perrineau had a youngish wife, but I looked it up, and that's her dad. Man, I'm old. 

But other than her, the female characters are not well-written so far. The daughter looks like a frightened deer most of the time. It's hard to imagine her as an experienced journalist, but I'll still give her a chance. And I always enjoy Bellamy, but I can't figure out if she's supposed to be crazy, high, playing a role to hide her grief and horror, or all of the above. 

And the only thing about watching network TV in real time is that now I have to wait a friggin week for a new episode. I'll have to remember what patience feels like.

• Love 7
On 9/24/2019 at 12:53 PM, tennisgurl said:

This had a lot of issues that a lot of pilots have (going super hard on the gimmick, show trying to find its directorial tone, actors are still trying to find their characters) but I still enjoyed it and I think it has a lot of potential. 

Agreed - it definitely had the feel of a pilot, but pulled me in enough that I plan to keep watching for now.  I think procedurals get a bit of a bad rep - I enjoy a good procedural now and then, and this one has a weird energy to it (mostly brought by the two leads) that sets it apart a bit.  I am not expecting it to be the next "Hannibal" (a very high bar!), but so far it is the only new show early into the fall season that I have any on-going interest in. Of course, this is Fox, so there is a good chance they will screw it up somehow....

• Love 2
On 9/23/2019 at 10:22 PM, UnknownK said:

I like how he just hacked that guys arm off instead of trying to defuse the bomb. If he got it with one chop it can be re attached, a few chops and forget about it. Makes me kind of wonder how somebody who just got booted from the FBI with cause would not get shown the door at the NYPD for that little trick.

Yeah, that came straight from the Jack Bauer playbook, on "24".  

It's like they dropped the names of a bunch of super-dramatic & creepy shows & movies in a hat & mixed them all up into a psycho-hash.  Nothing original or unique. 

And Michael Sheen looks like every second, he's on the edge of breaking out into hysterical shrieks. 

Not for me at all.  One less new show to keep track of.  

• Love 2
On 9/24/2019 at 7:29 AM, Chaos Theory said:

He made a point of telling Malcolm that he treated people of dubious means.    

I have to (love) and quote you just for your use of the word 'dubious'.  One of my top ten most loved yet strangely underutilized words.

• Love 1