Type keyword(s) to search

Season 36 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

So much for "want to do better this season".

You are only a few points off, and the season is young! There is plenty of time left for you to kick your own *ss. And win a prize*!

*Carrot on stick.

5 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Week 8:  four of five, no asterisk.  I'm a lay leader in my church, but I couldn't come up with Pentecost to save my soul.  I hang my head in shame!

I can't tell you how much better that makes me feel. So instead of shame, feel good that you're making some of us feel better. 🙂

• Love 3

WEEK 9 — NO asterisk - ToC week 1
41. Ancient History. According to Herodotus, a messenger was sent 150 miles from Athens to Sparta, just before this 490 B.C. battle.
42. The 50 States. In 1840 this New England state was home to 24 of the 100 most populous U.S. urban places; now, its capital is its only one in the top 100.
43. 20th Century America. In 1939, turned down by 2 local theaters, Howard University was able to get an outdoor venue for this singer’s yearly concert.
44. 20th Century Art. A derisive description of the shape of the houses in the 1908 painting “Houses at l’Estaque” gave this art style its name.
45. Literary Characters. From an 1894 work, his name literally translates to “Tiger King.”

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Driad said:

Thursday I guessed Dada as a derisive name for an art style. Friday I was sure it was from "Jungle Book" but didn't know character names.

Dada was an excellent guess, so Good For You. As for Friday, I thought the same as you. I've never read The Jungle Book but saw the Disney film. I didn't realize the tiger had an official name, so I answered "The tiger from The Jungle Book that tried to kill Mogli."

Fail.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Dada was an excellent guess, so Good For You.

Do you listen to Says You on public radio? Great game for word nerds. The original host, Richard Sher, would sometimes say "That's a great answer! It's wrong, but it's great!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Do you listen to Says You on public radio? Great game for word nerds. The original host, Richard Sher, would sometimes say "That's a great answer! It's wrong, but it's great!"

I have not heard of that show, so thanks for the link. And of course it airs all over the place, even in Montana (!), but only one station in Illinois, at U of I. None in Iowa. But the archive page is fabulous. I just listened to the President's Day episode. Talk about an hour packed with smarts, plus really funny people too. I'll be listening as I work from now on. THANKS!

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

it airs all over the place, even in Montana (!), but only one station in Illinois

Many radio stations also stream on line, so geography doesn't matter much. 

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Driad said:

I haven't heard of it either, but I bookmarked it and will be listening. Thanks.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

But since I also said Dada for Cubism and the Tiger from Jungle Book for Friday's FJ, I am hoping to bask in @saber5055' s approval based on the responses above.

While Dada is a really good answer ... it's wrong, but a great answer (TM Says You!), I'm giving you Tiger from Jungle Book. So your score is recorded as 3/5. Yeay for you!

@suebee12, I hope you are feeling better and on the mend. Stay well!

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Driad said:

Does that apply to me too?  Just couldn't remember his name.

Yes! Your score is now 4/5. Anyone else who knew it was the Jungle Book tiger but didn't count it, let me know and I will update your score. I'll even accept Chaka Khan  from certain players.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1