Type keyword(s) to search

Season 36 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I knew ALL of this week's FJs.... and I got 2 out of 5. I very recently read about the apartheid blacklist, and this album in particular, but just couldn't come up with it on Wednesday. 

Last night, I guessed the correct answer when Alex revealed the category, but forgot about when it came time to answer. Get your act together, Fex!!

(edited)
2 hours ago, Fex said:

I very recently read about the apartheid blacklist, and this album in particular, but just couldn't come up with it on Wednesday. 

I guess Graceland was Before Your Time. SAD. (ha ha!)

2 hours ago, Fex said:

Last night, I guessed the correct answer when Alex revealed the category, but forgot about when it came time to answer.

I hate when that happens.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

Week 5: 2 for 5.

Keep it up and you will win First Prize For Consistency. Amazing! I was in competition with you but ruined my Consistency Streak by actually being able to answer a FJ last week. So you now stand alone in the category!

• LOL 1
On 10/12/2019 at 11:38 PM, saber5055 said:

Keep it up and you will win First Prize For Consistency. Amazing! I was in competition with you but ruined my Consistency Streak by actually being able to answer a FJ last week. So you now stand alone in the category!

I was actually going to suggest a new prize category. lol

We might also want to consider least improved (aka, person who got dumber!).

I'm bound and determined to win a prize this time. :-)

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, j5cochran said:

That's assuming that East India Company is an acceptable answer!

It's a correct answer according to this contest's rules (which I make up).

12 hours ago, lb60 said:

We might also want to consider least improved (aka, person who got dumber!).

That would be me. It's like all my brain cells died off during the summer. I've never been more stupid in my life.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Now I feel badly posting 5/5. Really!

Never feel bad about posting 5/5 - unless you didn't really get 5 out of 5. This is a competition - even if it is just for fun, and some of us (like me) are just competing against ourselves because we know we're mid-pack at best. 🙂

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Never feel bad about posting 5/5 - unless you didn't really get 5 out of 5.

I did get 5. Last week was up my alley. But I felt bad posting after reading Saber5055 was losing brain cells. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, PBnJay said:
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Never feel bad about posting 5/5 - unless you didn't really get 5 out of 5.

I did get 5. Last week was up my alley. But I felt bad posting after reading Saber5055 was losing brain cells. 

I should have been clear that I totally believed you got 5, because I do (and did). It was a tease that may have fallen flat. Your concern for Saber speaks very well of you. 🙂

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, lb60 said:

Awww, that's what we love about you. ;-)

Hugs back at you, @lb60, you pantsless bear.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Your concern for Saber speaks very well of you.

It's nice to know someone cares, as I become more feeble by the day.

• Love 3

WEEK 6 — ONE asterisk *
26. Chemical Symbol Wordplay, Fittingly, the symbols for the 4 elements in sodium citrate, which can make cheese melt easier, spell this 5-letter food.
27. 20th Century American Women. In her only kids’ book, she says, “There was Rose. Rose was her name & would she have been Rose if her name had not been Rose.”
28. World Leaders. This man who ruled from 1949 to 1976 was sometimes called “the Red Sun.”
29. Movie Soundtracks. The soundtrack of this 2018 film has “Material Girl” & “Money (That’s What I Want)” in Chinese in English.
* 30. The Postcolonial World. This African nation left the British Commonwealth in 2003 over sanctions on its undemocratic government; in 2018 it applied to rejoin. *

Clue 29 was copied directly from TheJeopardyFan.com. It was so confusing to me, were the songs in English AND Chinese or in Chinese and not in English. Made it impossible for me to answer. I assume the clue appeared correctly on the show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Clue 29 was copied directly from TheJeopardyFan.com. It was so confusing to me, were the songs in English AND Chinese or in Chinese and not in English.

On J! Archive, it reads, "The soundtrack of this 2018 film has "Material Girl" & "Money (That's What I Want)" in Chinese & English" so I think that's correct, and not the way TheJeopardyFan.com has it.  OK, just checked, and TheJeopardyFan.com has it with the "&" and not "in," so it's been corrected now. 

• Love 1

2/5, again. Wednesday was an instaget; I wondered about the spelling, so decided I'd just write 'Mao' if I was on the show and hope it was accepted, which it was. Thursday took a little thought, but came to me. It doesn't help that I haven't gone to the movies in years. If it was a pre-21st century movie, I'd have known it much quicker!

• LOL 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

On J! Archive, it reads, "The soundtrack of this 2018 film has "Material Girl" & "Money (That's What I Want)" in Chinese & English" so I think that's correct,

Thanks Zoey. When I read the clue, I was so WTH? that I almost posted a message to Andy on TJFan site about a misprint but decided it didn't matter. I get FJ there early each day and it ruined my chance of getting the answer. I wonder if I would have gotten the answer if the clue had been correct since that movie has been talked about almost non-stop since it came out. (Yeah, I'm a pop-culture person!)

18 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I wondered about the spelling, so decided I'd just write 'Mao' if I was on the show and hope it was accepted, which it was.

I went with the full name and knew I would be ruled incorrect based on poor spelling, the show is so freaky about extra letters even when phonetically spelled. Then the one contestant got away with just "Mao" and I was all, goshdarnit, why didn't I think of that. I can't decide whether to give myself a plus for that day or not.

Edited by saber5055

I just got all caught up for the past few weeks. Results: 3/5, 4/5 (one *), and 1/5. 

Only got Crazy Rich Asians this week—best rom/com I have seen since When Harry Met Sally. I am considering getting the soundtrack, the music is that good. They even have a Chinese cover of “Yellow” by Coldplay!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks Zoey. When I read the clue, I was so WTH? that I almost posted a message to Andy on TJFan site about a misprint but decided it didn't matter. I get FJ there early each day and it ruined my chance of getting the answer. I wonder if I would have gotten the answer if the clue had been correct since that movie has been talked about almost non-stop since it came out. (Yeah, I'm a pop-culture person!)

I went with the full name and knew I would be ruled incorrect based on poor spelling, the show is so freaky about extra letters even when phonetically spelled. Then the one contestant got away with just "Mao" and I was all, goshdarnit, why didn't I think of that. I can't decide whether to give myself a plus for that day or not.

Heck yeah.  If I can get a win for Friday's FJ, then you absolutely get a plus for Mao!

• LOL 1

4/5, with the asterisk! Friday was a guess that I blurted out so quickly, I wonder if I had the information stuffed in some corner of my brain, and it wasn't a guess at all.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Week 6: 3 for 5.

Congratulations on ruining your MOST CONSISTENT PRIZE. *sigh* What am I going to do with you @lb60?

I've been remiss in not mentioning @Fex's new face lift, which happened a while back. I hardly recognize you any more!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1