Type keyword(s) to search

Season 36 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 1 — ONE asterisk *
*1. Biblical Archaeology. A site excavated since 1899, Tell es-Safi has been identified as this Philistine city, home to a giant warrior. * 
2. 1960s TV History. The 1967 finale of “The Fugitive” drew in 78 million viewers, surpassing the 73 million who tuned into this show Sunday, Feb. 9, 1964.
3. Children’s Books. The original title of this 1900 classic included a gem; another working title mentioned a Plains state.
4. American Museums. President Johnson signed a law that added 2 words to the name of this museum established in 1946, D.C.’s most popular.
5. Presidential Candidates. This is the most recent presidential election year when both major pres. candidates were residents of the same state.

45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@opus, your new Season 36 look is a good one and suits you well. Me likee!

Is it noticeable he's wearing an Alex Trebek shirt? I know it's there, but it still seems blurry to me.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

3/5. Was hoping for better but it's the first week, I'll work into it, right? Right?

Sure you will. I tell myself that every week. It's bound to happen. Eventually! lol

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, opus said:

Is it noticeable he's wearing an Alex Trebek shirt? I know it's there, but it still seems blurry to me.

To me, it's noticeable that there's *something* on his shirt, but unless/until I clicked through to your profile, it's hard for me to tell what it is.  I feel that way about my penguin, too -- hard to tell what it is when it's so tiny.

3 hours ago, opus said:

I saw you were wearing someone on your new T but didn't know who it was. Now that I looked at your profile, it's obviously Trebek. I also like your snappy red bow tie. It's very Buzzy. Approval granted!

1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I ended up bailing out at the end of last season in the final month—sorry for not keeping up! 

Thank goodness you showed up @Sharpie66. I was worried you up and died or something. Don't do that to poor saber again!

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

To me, it's noticeable that there's *something* on his shirt, but unless/until I clicked through to your profile, it's hard for me to tell what it is.  I feel that way about my penguin, too -- hard to tell what it is when it's so tiny.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I saw you were wearing someone on your new T but didn't know who it was. Now that I looked at your profile, it's obviously Trebek. I also like your snappy red bow tie. It's very Buzzy. Approval granted!

Ok, based on this feedback I’m going to go with “Meh, close enough “. If someone later on can’t tell but wants to know then they can always ask 🤔

Edited by opus
  • LOL 1

No asterisk for me, I said Goliathville! I didn't immediately catch on to what the asterisks were for last year, so didn't keep track of them for the entire season, but will be this year. But I missed out on picking one up on the first day (kind of like when a Mets pitcher gives up a hit to the game's first batter and I think, well, not going to be seeing a no-hitter today...)! 

• Love 1

Whew! Between vacation, a family  event, hurricane Dorian, and overtime due to Dorian, I have only just caught up with Jeopardy! And for what? 2/5, no * 

Jk, jk... 2 is perfectly respectable, and I see that asterisk was pretty elusive 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Got you in @Fex. Glad to add you AND your new identity. Two was a respectable week. I hope Dorian didn't hurt you too much.

As for you, @Good Queen Jane ...

gift-horse.jpg.6d012d7efdc1f2bb4b9ec89460a0f08b.jpg

Really?  You posted an image with an its/it's error?  (Sorry, but if there's anyplace I could gripe about that, I figure it's here.)

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Really?  You posted an image with an its/it's error?  (Sorry, but if there's anyplace I could gripe about that, I figure it's here.)

I fixed it and this time posted it large enough so even my antique eyes could read it.

Hopefully, this cures your case of vapors.

You're welcome.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I started last season but had to abandon ship partway through.  I'm hoping to make it to the bitter end this season, and with a 0/5 first week, I'm off to a spectacular start.

No pants on my avatar-less avatar (I don't even know how to put one up - sad, I know).  Speaking of which, shouldn't PBnJay get double credit for being pantsless twice in one avatar?

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, Brookside said:

Speaking of which, shouldn't PBnJay get double credit for being pantsless twice in one avatar?

You are in and recorded, Brookside. And so far you are tied with ... ME! Hope you can tough it out for the entire season this time. I'm rooting for you!

LOL about @PBnJay's pants. Or non-pants. I watched The Lego Movie (maybe that's why I answered Legos for FJ yesterday), and the most popular tv show in Legoland is "Where Are My Pants!" I felt show writers were reading here, even though that movie was made some years ago. There is such a thing as time travel, right?

Honey, where are my pants?

Edited by saber5055
Time travel yes, proofreading no.
  • Love 2

WEEK 2 — TWO asterisks **
6. European Authors. When he didn’t win the inaugural 1901 Nobel Prize, 42 of his peers apologized to him, calling him “the most revered patriarch of today’s literature.”
 * 7. National Anthems. With lyrics by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier, it debuted on June 24, 1880, at a celebration of St. Jean Baptiste Day.  *
8. The 1940s. This nickname for a history-changing weapon of 1945 came from a character in “The Maltese Falcon.”
9. Toys & Games. Invented in 1974 as a model to teach 3-D problems, it became one of the bestselling toys of all time.
 * 10. U.S. Currency. In 1929 Alexander Hamilton became the new face of the $10 bill, replacing this foe of his legacy, who got moved to another denomination.

• Love 1