Type keyword(s) to search

Season 36 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

The new Jeopardy! season is almost upon us and a new FJ contest to go along with it. The Season 35 contest was lots of fun for all players -- at least that's what I was told! I hope everyone from S35 will be back to play S36, and new players are welcome and encouraged to participate. There will be prizes awarded at the end of the season for a variety of winners, so if you score high, low or somewhere in between, your chances of bringing home a prize are excellent. Plus, it's FREE!

And asterisks are back! As before, I will keep track of FJ TS clues. If you know the answer to a FJ clue that stumps all three players, you'll get an asterisk for that day. And qualify for more prizes at the end of the season. It's a win win!

FJ clues will be posted weekly, so even if you miss a day or two, you can catch up here. Then post your score for the week. I will give it a "heart" once it's been recorded. Remember, this is all for fun. No finger pointing allowed! Discussion of FJ clues and answers is allowed though.** I hope to see lots of familiar and new avatars here, starting next week. Questions? Just ask!

**Please: No comments or FJ discussion until the week's clues are posted and scores are posted. Late players thank you!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Woo hoo!  I have one small request, though -- can this be an answer-free space?  If I miss a day for some reason, it would be nice to come here at the end of the week and test myself without being spoiled.

If not, I'll just avoid this thread until I've caught up somewhere else (or excuse myself from the contest for that week).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Woo hoo!  I have one small request, though -- can this be an answer-free space?  If I miss a day for some reason, it would be nice to come here at the end of the week and test myself without being spoiled.

I agree with that emotion. I typically post the questions Friday night or Saturday. I don't say anything about the clues/answers until after that, but I see your point. If you come on Sunday to find the clues, you can be spoiled by any posts. That's mostly my fault since I started posting FJ comments here after the Season 35 thread turned so ugly that I could no longer tolerate the hate and left there. Maybe the S36 thread people will be nicer this season. One can only hope.

@opus, you are already in the lead for one of the prizes. Good for you!

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

(or excuse myself from the contest for that week).

Sorry. That is not allowed and will not be tolerated by the Contest Captain.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Yes, we can confine our amusing/whiny comments/excuses about how we almost got Moby Dick to the Season 36 thread and just give our score in this thread.

I look forward to the new season and the new contest🙂

• Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Season 35 contest was lots of fun for all players -- at least that's what I was told!

We lied!!

;-)

4 hours ago, opus said:

0/5

(I figure, why wait?)

Someone needs to practice their daily affirmations!

im smart enough stuart smalley GIF by Saturday Night Live

And gosh darnit, people like you!

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

This season: A special prize for Avatars Without Pants. Two contestants so far ...

Well, I do like prizes!

8 minutes ago, Driad said:

My avatar has no pants, nor any place to wear them. :-)

Back off! 

That prize has my name on it!

;-)

• LOL 3
12 minutes ago, Driad said:

Your avatar has no body. That's a different category entirely! The "Floating Head" avatar.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's mostly my fault since I started posting FJ comments here after the Season 35 thread turned so ugly that I could no longer tolerate the hate and left there.

I'm having trouble remembering any ugliness. Do you mean comments about some of the contestants?

8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My avatar has no pants, too!  But I might change it up (to another one with no pants) for the new season.

Yes! New season, new penguin. I mean, avatar.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My avatar has pants and sunglasses!

You, PW, are in a class by yourself. In more ways than one! You are in the Too Cool For School Avatar division.

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm a pantsless starling. Just saying.

I didn't mean to overlook you. You are IN!

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm having trouble remembering any ugliness. Do you mean comments about some of the contestants?

All I can say is GFY! if you missed it. I wish I had.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Driad said:

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My avatar has no pants, too!  But I might change it up (to another one with no pants) for the new season.

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My avatar has pants and sunglasses!

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm a pantsless starling. Just saying.

<shakes head>

Now look what you started, saber.

I had a dream last night that they replaced the interview portion with a talent portion. Alex was very impressed with the contestant who sang and played the guitar. Ha!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, lb60 said:

I had a dream last night that they replaced the interview portion with a talent portion. Alex was very impressed with the contestant who sang and played the guitar. Ha!!

Hey @lb60, I found a photograph from your Jeopardy dream. I guess he can sing, too.

james-holzhauer-guitarGuy.thumb.jpg.ef99430693bdd15bf3a0940a50489aeb.jpg

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Hey @lb60, I found a photograph from your Jeopardy dream nightmare. I guess he can sing, too.

james-holzhauer-guitarGuy.thumb.jpg.ef99430693bdd15bf3a0940a50489aeb.jpg

Fixed that for ya.

Also,

UGH!  Why you gotta be like that, saber?  I thought we were friends.

<sniffles>

;-)

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Yay!  I’m in!  No avatar, though.

No pants, either. So there's that.

18 minutes ago, lb60 said:

UGH!  Why you gotta be like that, saber?  I thought we were friends.

I tease ya cuz I luvs ya. And I award myself this for that dream graphic:

likes.jpg.7e885d7149d0e3608977bffb55e2fd68.jpg

• Love 4

Hah! I went and changed my avatar. No pants, now. I'm annoyed, though, cause PTV cropped it so you can't tell what a spectacular tree that is. It's on the Schoodic Peninsula in Maine - part of Acadia National Park. OMG. If the winters weren't so brutal, I'd want to live there.

I took the pic on a cloudy, foggy, drizzly day. Didn't really interfere with anything I wanted to do and I got some nice, atmospheric photos. But of all 364 pics that I took in the 3 weeks I was gone, this one's my favorite.

And I'm back in time for Jeopardy!'s new season! They waited for me.  😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hah! I went and changed my avatar. No pants, now.

The Pantsless Avatar group is growing. No sunglasses either, PW, so good bye Too Cool For School Hugh Mongus. We hardly knew ye.

Do you have a blog for your vaca PW? I enjoyed my vicarious trip with you on your other journeys.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

New season, new penguin!  This guy (or girl -- kinda hard to tell) is an Adelie.

It's a fresh start on your way to winning Contest 36! GFY! (Me likee.)

I guess it's just Driad and me in the Floating Head Avatar group.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, saber5055 said:

Do you have a blog for your vaca PW? I enjoyed my vicarious trip with you on your other journeys.

Not yet. I spent most of yesterday trying to reconcile my expenses with the credit card account. And doing laundry. I hope I remember to watch J! tonight. I'm SO out of the habit. Gone for 3 weeks, on my way to work this AM, I had forgotten where all the potholes are.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Hi everybody. I've been a long-time lurker and enjoy everyone's posts. I've taken the Jeopardy test and hope to get accepted to try out one day. I read about this contest last year and it looks like it would be fun to play so I got the nerve to sign up and hope to join the fun. I'm looking forward to the new season. My other favorite shows are cooking shows.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Hi everybody. I've been a long-time lurker and enjoy everyone's posts. I've taken the Jeopardy test and hope to get accepted to try out one day. I read about this contest last year and it looks like it would be fun to play so I got the nerve to sign up and hope to join the fun. I'm looking forward to the new season. My other favorite shows are cooking shows.

Welcome PBNJAY! Been watching the Great British Baking show on Netflix - it's a vacation away from the turmoil of every day life. Good luck on the test.

Looking forward to Jeopardy tonight got me through my nerves for my routine colonoscopy today. (tmi?)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I read about this contest last year and it looks like it would be fun to play so I got the nerve to sign up and hope to join the fun. I'm looking forward to the new season.

Welcome @PBnJay! I'm glad you will join the contest, it was great fun last season. At least I had fun since my meager scores were never posted ... until the very end anyway. I hope more new players will join in, along with all you OLD TIMERS in this thread! BTW, your avatar is too cute ... and pantsless, too!

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Looking forward to Jeopardy tonight got me through my nerves for my routine colonoscopy today. (tmi?)

LOL! Well, not that it's funny. I hope your test came out negative. Crossing fingers. I won't go into my own TMI but I've had two of those, one as an asleep "regular" and one as an awake radiography. The regular one gave me an appreciation for propofol (which was a TS on Jeopardy!) and the x-ray one made me glad I went through all of those years of art school so I'm not shy.

• LOL 1

I'm in as soon as I get my TV situation taken care of - new flooring went in, furniture was moved, wires were disconnected, now it's not working. Of course.

Pants on my avatar would just be silly.

Edited by helpmerhonda
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Should we keep track of asterisks this season?  (Asterisk means all 3 contestants got FJ wrong but we got it right.)

Yes to keeping track of asterisks. There will be prizes for that category. Start today!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Hi everybody. 

Welcome! Cute avatar.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

.....along with all you OLD TIMERS in this thread!

Who you calling old?

Negative thinking: 0 for 1.

Positive thinking: I'm (currently) tied for first place with a bunch of other people.

<shakes fist>

I will get a prize this season!!

• Love 3

Hi All! I had fun watching you all play from April on and am glad to be able to join in this season! Not a great start but then again, I'm tied with a bunch of people! I knew it was Goliath but had no idea the town he was from...even after the answer was revealed.

Guess I join the "no pants group"!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL! Well, not that it's funny. I hope your test came out negative. Crossing fingers. I won't go into my own TMI but I've had two of those, one as an asleep "regular" and one as an awake radiography. The regular one gave me an appreciation for propofol (which was a TS on Jeopardy!) and the x-ray one made me glad I went through all of those years of art school so I'm not shy.

All's well, thank you. I must admit, when the sedation nurse said it would be propofol, the first thing I thought of was Michael Jackson. I don't remember if he was in the clue, though.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I'm not in this content because I know my limits, but can I just say, anyone who answered with any variation of goliathvile/goliathtown should get extra asterisks or some new kind of points.

Yes, definitely join us!

I'm ready for my extra points @saber5055 😛

Edited by Toothbrush
On 9/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I'm not in this content because I know my limits, but can I just say, anyone who answered with any variation of goliathvile/goliathtown should get extra asterisks or some new kind of points.

2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I'm ready for my extra points @saber5055

Hey, I'm good with any scores anyone wants to post. Want to count Golliathtown/ville? I'm good with that.

So far this week I'm tied with Opus, who posted his score for this week last week.

• LOL 2
On 9/10/2019 at 10:06 PM, saber5055 said:

Oh, come on @SoMuchTV, get in the contest. I'm running the thing and am the biggest dolt in this thread. Plus there are PRIZES! Real ones! And not just for the brainiacs. You could surprise yourself and win something.

Well so far this week I'm 1 for 4 ( yay Beatles) which would apparently put me in a tie for the lead, but I'm afraid my attention span wouldn't hold up. We'll see. Assuming you'll accept retroactive honor system entries.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Assuming you'll accept retroactive honor system entries.

Yes, late entries are accepted. I post the clues from each week here so late comers can play catch up. Everyone is always welcome to play, but it has to be from week one to be eligible for contest prizes. I'm hoping to answer today's clue so I'll be tied with you for the week.