Type keyword(s) to search

Season 36 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

On 10/20/2019 at 1:53 PM, saber5055 said:

I've been remiss in not mentioning @Fex's new face lift, which happened a while back. I hardly recognize you any more!

Ooh, I'm pleased you noticed! It's a castle in Wales, and I even took the picture myself. Typically, my trivia skills are far greater than my photography skills....

• Love 4
On 10/22/2019 at 7:55 PM, Fex said:

Ooh, I'm pleased you noticed! It's a castle in Wales, and I even took the picture myself. Typically, my trivia skills are far greater than my photography skills....

Thanks for clarifying! I had looked closer a while back to see what it was and THOUGHT if was castle turrets (or whatever they are called). Glad to know I was sort of correct. Lucky you having been to Wales. I can only go there vicariously through your avatar, if you don't mind me trespassing. (And your photo skillz are just fine!)

• Love 1

WEEK 7 — THREE asterisks ***
* 31. U.S. Cities. Named for the ore once mined there, this city at an altitude of 10,152 feet is home to the National Mining Hall of Fame & Museum.  *
32. Female Music Superstars. With more than 30 top 10 albums since 1963, this singer-actress ranks no. 1 among the Billboard 200’s Greatest Women Artists of All Time.
*33. 1930s Novel Characters. Prior to a murder in a 1934 book, he says he hasn’t been a detective since 1927 & that his wife inherited a lumber mill.  *
*34. The History of France. This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to “travail, famille, patrie”—”work, family, fatherland.” *
35. British History. In 2018 Parliament Square got its first statue of a woman, Millicent Fawcett, a founding member of the London Society for Women’s this.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Looks like someone, me, might be starting a new streak!

Not to put the pressure on, but get three more 3s in a row and you'll have raised the bar and set a new standard in Contest Consistency.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Not to put the pressure on, but get three more 3s in a row and you'll have raised the bar and set a new standard in Contest Consistency.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Okay, probably not, but I always say, it's good to have a goal.

• LOL 2

2/5

As for Nick and Nora Charles, I am unofficially giving myself half a point.  I “knew” the answer, just couldn’t come up with the names in time. Sometimes it takes a long time to retrieve names from the files in my brain. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Minaboo said:

As for Nick and Nora Charles, I am unofficially giving myself half a point.  I “knew” the answer, just couldn’t come up with the names in time. Sometimes it takes a long time to retrieve names from the files in my brain. 

Boy, if I could add up all my half-points.... 😄

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
(edited)
On 10/27/2019 at 2:07 AM, Minaboo said:

As for Nick and Nora Charles, I am unofficially giving myself half a point.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:13 AM, peeayebee said:

Boy, if I could add up all my half-points

Go ahead and give yourself a full point for all those half points. I did for Mao and I won't even put here how I mangled the spelling of the rest of his name, and I did again for "right to vote" even though the answer was suffrage.

Of course, my weekly totals look like computers conversing in binary so I'm not exactly a threat to anyone.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Driad said:

If "Who was the husband in the Thin Man series?" counts, 5/5, 3*.  Otherwise 4/5. 2*.

@Driad my friend, I asked the Contest Commander and was told it counts. Your score is 5+3*. Anyone else, feel free to update your one-half points to a full one and I'll fix on the tally sheet.

That was week 7. Tomorrow starts week 8. Ugh. Time is flying even if I'm not.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2019 at 3:40 PM, saber5055 said:
On 10/27/2019 at 3:17 PM, Driad said:

If "Who was the husband in the Thin Man series?" counts, 5/5, 3*.  Otherwise 4/5. 2*.

@Driad my friend, I asked the Contest Commander and was told it counts. Your score is 5+3*. Anyone else, feel free to update your one-half points to a full one and I'll fix on the tally sheet

Yay! My updated score is now 3/5, 1*

• Love 2
On 10/30/2019 at 4:25 PM, helpmerhonda said:

I mean, 1 of 5, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Yes, it absolutely DOES matter. Prizes will be awarded this season a bit differently than the last, so everyone, including you, are in contention. Keep up the good fight!

WEEK 8 — ONE asterisk *
36. 19th Century America. Before its official opening on May 24, 1883 Emily Roebling became the first person to cross it in a carriage.
37. 1950s Cinema. Objects of attention in this suspenseful film include a digging dog, a scantily clad dancer & a possible murderer.
38. World Capitals. In 1865 this city named for an early 19th century British hero became a British colonial capital. Wellington,
39. Novelists. In a 1952 novel, he wrote, “But there were dry years too, & they put a terror on the valley. The water came in a thirty-year cycle.”
* 40. Religion. This denomination takes its name from the day, as told in the New Testament, when the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles.*

• Love 1