Type keyword(s) to search

Season 36 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 17 • Dec. 30 — NO asterisk
76. 1950s People. In a New Yorker profile, he said, “Where I like it is out west in Wyoming, Montana, & Idaho, & I like Cuba & Paris.”
77. Business & Innovation. Stuck with 260 tons of unused turkey in late 1953, this co. ordered aluminum trays & sold 10 million units of a new item in 1954.
78. Single-Named Performers. The last single-named actress to win an Oscar was this woman who won for her supporting role in “Precious.” Mo’Niqu
80. Scientists. About 100 years before Darwin, this naturalist put orangutans & humans in a group with the Latin name “Homo.”
81. Constitutional Amendments. Until a 1913 amendment allowed this, 1/3 of U.S. government revenue came from liquor.

• Love 1

4/5.  I'm no good at popular culture.

In the early days of the income tax, (I read,) basically only high income people had to pay, so some folks bragged that they were so rich that they had to pay income tax. How times have changed.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Driad said:

In the early days of the income tax, (I read,) basically only high income people had to pay, so some folks bragged that they were so rich that they had to pay income tax. How times have changed.

And all the poor people were forced to eat lobsters, so plentiful that they were considered junk food. Those were great days to be poor!

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

poor people were forced to eat lobsters

Prisoners, in particular, got lots of lobsters.  Probably little or no butter, though.  Besides being plentiful, lobsters had a bad reputation as bottom feeders.

• Love 1

WEEK 18 • Jan. 6 — NO asterisk
82. 1960s Novels. This book defines its own title as “concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers… was the process of a rational mind.”
83. International Sports Stars. Now with over 185 million followers, he surpassed Selena Gomez in 2018 to become the most followed person on Instagram.
84. European History. It took the French Army until 1995 to declare him innocent, 101 years after he was convicted of treason.
85. Law Enforcement. In 1892 Francisca Rojas became the world’s first person convicted on the basis of this kind of evidence.
86. Constitutions of the World. This country’s 1979 constitution forbids amendments altering its official ideology or religion.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I am going to be away next week (US Figure Skating Championships in Greensboro) so I won't be able to post my next two weeks' scores until January 28. I didn't want you to worry.

Thank you, Your Majesty, for letting us know. Yes, I do worry about ya'll when someone disappears, like our long-lost @Toothbrush. Still waiting for @Fex and @Minaboo to report before I name this week's unofficial winner.

Will we see you on teevee like last year when your group wore blue sweaters and sat in the second row (if I remember correctly)?

• Love 1
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Will we see you on teevee like last year when your group wore blue sweaters and sat in the second row (if I remember correctly)?

Yes, although what we wear are sparkly blue scarves. We should be in the first two rows this year, opposite the judges. I'll wave to you. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yes, although what we wear are sparkly blue scarves. We should be in the first two rows this year, opposite the judges. I'll wave to you. 

I knew it was blue "something." So exciting! I'll watch for you; that will be me waving back. Have fun!