Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Walking A Tight Rope

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SevenCostanza said:

How much longer was Jihoon going to wait before he started looking for a job and his own apartment?  You're 30 time to grow up.

I wonder why his parents didn't tell him to get a job asap and start saving money so he is ready when Deavon and baby Jihoon arrive. Seems they are too easy on him which is why he is the loser he is at age 30. Oh, and leave the dog with the parents, please. 

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I wonder why his parents didn't tell him to get a job asap and start saving money so he is ready when Deavon and baby Jihoon arrive. Seems they are too easy on him which is why he is the loser he is at age 30. Oh, and leave the dog with the parents, please. 

I agree. When you are not financially able to support yourself and your child, then, you aren't likely to have sufficient funds to pay for a pet, such as vet bills. If Jihoon does what he needs to do, I don't think he'll have the time, money and energy that a pet requires. Babies don't know a pet is around. So, it's really for the parent. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

When Corey’s relationship inevitably implodes he will regret wasting his time in Ecuador and being away from his family, before and after his fathers death. My thoughts were he should get home ASAP to be there for his mother. Such a terrible thing to lose a parent when both are at such a young age (the father being 62 is young in my opinion, and Corey is young). 

He should have been close by, either single or with a normal girlfriend, instead of in South America being comforted by the Ecuadorian skank who conned him out of $40K and made him the joke of her village.  Now he's paying a pretty high price for reality tv fame, and his father's passing will always be tainted by the surreal weirdness Corey let himself be caught up in.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Deavan picked the WRONG Asian man to get involved with. Jihoon is literally a 30 year old childish man, just as his parents said. 

And as he himself said!

11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I sort of love that Jihoon's parents called him on his bullshit.

Jihoon: Deavan doesn't want to live here.

Mom: Because it's too small for us, an unemployed 30 year old man, his wife, and two children?

Jihoon: Uhh, yes.

Mom: You have to get your own house. You have a family now.

Even better was his translation for Deavan:  She said to get the fuck out.

2 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I wonder what Deavan was more annoyed by:  Jihoon's inability to do anything or the bad dye job he gave himself?

So it's not just me puzzling over that hair color?  It's the same inartful result that older men get when covering gray--looks like they just pour mercurochrome over their heads.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Kid said:

Tiffany’s doubting her decisions!😂😂😂 Actually, she’s becoming more of the problem than he is. Girl needs an Al-Anon meeting!

This is the couple I have the least interest in.  Tiffany has become Ronald's probation officer and his main emotion is resentment.  That's just a guaranteed fail, and the two of them are unpleasant to watch.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Lesia said:
2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

My guess on sumit is that his parents arranged a marriage for him that is supposed to happen in the future. They are harassing him to come home because he is supposed to be going through engagement activities or something. It doesn’t really make sense for him to already be married even though that thought did cross my mind. 

BINGO!! this has to be it.

If he were already married, he couldn't be travelling between the homes, like Mrs. Doubtfire on her dates (s).  Too risky and suspicious.  I think this is it!

Yes, I also doubt he is already married.  How desperate for TLC money would you have to be to not only let your husband go have sex with another woman but have her announce it to the entire TV viewing public.  Most people would not willingly sign up for that particular humiliation.  It could be that the REAL reason he brought Jenny over is so he can get out of the arranged marriage.  It could be too big of a hurdle for her to accept that he did this with Jenny.  He is delaying marrying Jenny for so long (I mean seriously, why a ring ceremony instead of a wedding) he's probably hoping her visa runs out and she has to return to the US - at which point he will have gotten rid of both the arranged wife and Jenny.

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Because they are huge enablers of their son Jihoon and that's what you get..trouble, trouble, trouble.

49 minutes ago, Kid said:

Tiffany’s doubting her decisions!😂😂😂 Actually, she’s becoming more of the problem than he is. Girl needs an Al-Anon meeting!

Tiffany's what we used to call "all talk and no show".  The only thing she has going for her right now is her son.  What a sweet boy.  I'm in love with him.

• Love 5

On to more annoying couples...

Sumit needs to grow a pair, and Jenny's sour-faced daughter-in-law looks like she had to be dragged to India and can't wait to leave.

Pole's insecurity over Kreeny chatting with men is stupid, since none of them are dumb enough to uproot their lives to go live in the Amazon with a poor and destitute baby mommy.  Only Pole has that level of commitment desperation.

Apparently Jihoon has a younger brother who opted out of being on the show, and who apparently is successfully living on his own. I can just imagine the "why can't you be like your brother" conversations with his parents.

Edited by Dobian
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, Dobian said:

On to more annoying couples...

Apparently Jihoon has a younger brother who opted out of being on the show, and who apparently is successfully living on his own. I can just imagine the "why can't you be like your brother" conversations with his parents.

I remember when jihoons parents were visiting Vegas and mother jihoon made a comment that made me think that she thought he should be learning more English so he could move to the US.  

It would make sense, especially if they have another child who they can look to as they get older. 

29 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

So basically Tiffany chose Ronald because she loves being the martyr.

Absolutely, in that way this situation probably works out great for her....constant and consistent opportunities for victimhood.

• Love 9

These are some things that I would like to see based on last night's episode:

1. Ceasar's documentation proving.....ooops. deleted as on wrong thread.

2.  Jihoon's most recent 12 months of paystubs that show that he has been employed.  I'm not sure what he means when he keeps saying legal work.  Or is it illegal work?  Was he working legally or was he working in a legal office. I'm confused.

3. Confirmation from the court that Paul was really granted right to stay in the country.

4. Submit's phone records. Who's he really talking to?

I don't care about Ronald.  I suppose he wouldn't have any proof that he's attending support group meetings. A meeting a day for the first year, right? lol

I suppose none of these characters, are ever asked to provide proof of their contentions. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I’m so glad Evilyn encouraged him not to skip the funeral and pretend his dad was just far away. She may have done it just to get him out of her ratty hair for a while, but it was the right thing nonetheless. Corey would regret it the rest of his life if he missed that opportunity to honor his dad.

I didn't want to go to my dad's funeral, it made it seem too real.   A pastor told us that grief is not an emotion you can stuff and it will go away.  It will come back out someday, as strong as it was.  He said you just have to go through it, at some point or another.

Edited by lh25
spelling
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I felt sorry for Corey. Poor dude can't catch a break. Here's to hoping he breaks it off in the US. 

My guess is, he'll feel compelled to because, otherwise, his mother is left alone in remote Washington State.  Not really sure how that wouldn't happen.  He's not going to leave his mom without some kind of presence for support.  Totally appropriate.

And no, I haven't seen any spoilers - this is just the right thing to do.

ETA:  I can somewhat sympathize with the nature of his loss:  I was living in CT when my dad died from injuries in a car accident in PA.  We couldn't get there in time, so I said goodbye on the phone.  He'd been in a coma throughout the night, but died about an hour after the phone call.  I don't want to think it was just a coincidence.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 2

I was the queen of finding men who suffered the Peter Pan Syndrome, but even a childish and immature as they were, they were still mostly able to function as adults.There's something about Jihoon that doesn't sit right with me. He had all that time to prepare and did absolutely nothing (including, it seems, cleaning his bedroom). Is he just one of those procrastinators who thinks that if they ignore the problem it will go away? I actually like him better than her, and his parents better than any of them, but he's not taken responsibility for anything so far. 

This is what happens when you get knocked up by someone you don't know. My husband and I actuallygot pregnant fairly early on in our relationship, about 8 months into it, but we lived together, spent a lot of time together, and worked on our relationship during the pregnancy. What Devean and Jihoon did was much worse than what others on the show are doing-like everyone else, they think they're madly in love with each other via text and Skype, but this time around they added a child to the mix. Not cool, dudes. Not cool. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

What happened to that slim pretty young girl in a sundress that walked down to the harbour to meet germaphobe Pole?  

Seems like a lifetime ago 

I think I may be the only one here who still likes Karine. I feel sorry for her. I know that she is accountable for her own actions and decisions, but I still have a soft spot for her. I live in a poor part of the country, and it's a conservative area, but if I got knocked up and then found that the relationship just wasn't a good fit or that we hated each other, I'd still have other opportunities available to me. We may be poor, but we don't have to rely on outsiders to come in and "save" us. I get the feeling that as disappointing as Pole is, Karine feels locked in. She's from a small village that's a couple of rungs down from my mostly welfare recipient county, she's attractive (well, not now) but not so beautiful that men are going to be knocking down her door to sweep her and her baby away, she doesn't seem to have many skills, etc. I could see her thinking, in the beginning, that Paul wasn't what she expected but at least he cared about her and was going to help her get "out" so she could put up with whatever she had to. But then, as time went on, Paul revealed that he's totally unhinged. (We saw it from the beginning, but I've come to believe that either we're all a bunch of psychics or geniuses or the folks on the show are being fed lead poison by Sharp.)Now girlfriend is pudgy, negative, and has a baby on the way. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Yeah, for someone who thought they had to get a child seat for the car to wait until past time to get to airport to then get the seat, all the while knowing you are late, knowing the circumstances........and taking time to pickup a pet.....boggles the mind. No sense of responsibility or priorities.  I can't even print what I would likely have said to him.  We don't know how late he was....perhaps it was 5 minutes and not an hour.  It really makes me wonder if he is dealing with more than immaturity.  At any rate, Deaven needs to get some sleep and really survey the situation.  I might return home to regroup.  It may not be a workable situation. If things continue to be so chaotic, this love may falter.  I recall hearing an analogy about how a relationship works.  You ask yourself who is doing the rowing.  It may be that Jihoon is not the rowing kind of guy. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, for someone who thought they had to get a child seat for the car to wait until past time to get to airport to then get the seat, all the while knowing you are late, knowing the circumstances........and taking time to pickup a pet.....boggles the mind. No sense of responsibility or priorities.  I can't even print what I would likely have said to him.  We don't know how late he was....perhaps it was 5 minutes and not an hour.  It really makes me wonder if he is dealing with more than immaturity.  At any rate, Deaven needs to get some sleep and really survey the situation.  I might return home to regroup.  It may not be a workable situation. If things continue to be so chaotic, this love may falter.  I recall hearing an analogy about how a relationship works.  You ask yourself who is doing the rowing.  It may be that Jihoon is not the rowing kind of guy. 

I don't want to generalize or stereotype an entire culture, but I've had many friends from South Korea and I've traveled there. While some of my Korean gal pals do sometimes seem younger than me, they're more childLIKE and not childISH. They like cuddly stuffed animals, cartoon purses, and Disney animation but they're also very responsible, respectful of their elders (I can't imagine one of them springing a wife and baby on their family), and very good students who are focused on goal setting. I did a "man on the street" quiz with my Korean friends over this episode and they're as flummoxed as us. 

Fakery wise, I strongly believe that a lot of what Corey/Evelin and Darcey/Tom do is for the cameras-kind of a heightened reality of themselves. But I think Devean and Jihoon are completely real (I also think Jenny is, too, but word's still out on Some Meat). Devean didn't fake that travel weary, frizzled hair, frustrated "get me to a bed NOW" look. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I need to create a spreadsheet called "Who Has a Secret?"  so I can keep track of all the secrets that are to be revealed among all the franchises. It's ridiculous.

I completely agree!  Just with Sumit alone, I've counted at least 3 secrets he's revealed/about to reveal.  Good Lord, man!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

What happened to that slim pretty young girl in a sundress that walked down to the harbour to meet germaphobe Pole?  

She’s still got the video clips of her dancing around in her daisy dukes, ass cheeks hanging out , that she can post and try to snag another desperate guy into sending her some money. Sounds like she already has a fish on the hook sending her care packages (allegedly the son of mom’s friend). She’ll survive. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Pole is a germaphobe???  And he lives in that slum????   Amazing what a piece of ass can motivate you to do.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

These are some things that I would like to see based on last night's episode:

1. Ceasar's documentation proving that he has actually spent $40,000. on this ideal woman.

2.  Jihoon's most recent 12 months of paystubs that show that he has been employed.  I'm not sure what he means when he keeps saying legal work.  Or is it illegal work?  Was he working legally or was he working in a legal office. I'm confused.

3. Confirmation from the court that Paul was really granted right to stay in the country.

4. Submit's phone records. Who's he really talking to?

I don't care about Ronald.  I suppose he wouldn't have any proof that he's attending support group meetings. A meeting a day for the first year, right? lol

I suppose none of these characters, are ever asked to provide proof of their contentions. 

Why ask for proof???      They’re in  love!!!! asking for proof would mean they don’t trust the love of their life!! It’s insulting! They would never lie!!

• LOL 8
2 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Talking about Jihoon being a few fries short of a Happy Meal, I worry about Jenny as well. I'm not saying that all 60 year old women need to act the same, and need to come across as old ladies, but in many cases she comes across as a pre-teen and it's kind of weird. 

Example:

- She accepts random friend request from someone with model looks and immediately trusts that it's the dude in the picture. 

- Guy starts writing her right away and uses all kinds of cliches-none of them personalized- and she never once questions why a guy like that would be contacting an average looking woman working an average kind of job-a woman nearly old enough to be his grandmother. 

- Most of us in this situation would be like, er, dude, fuck off. Not Jenny. Her reaction was to respond with, "You're just a player." Her first response was NOT to question his identity or why he'd be writing someone of her age when he's obviously younger and Instagram pretty, but to accuse him of being a "player"? 

Basically, she had zero trouble accepting that a guy like that would be flirting extensively with a woman like her-her problem with the issue lay in the fact that he was probably just looking for some booty? Unreal. 

Most of these Americans on this show seem to fall into the same category. I know we've discussed it before, but it continues to bug me. You guys are average, at best, looking dudes with cramped housing and small paychecks yet you STILL believe that you not only deserve a supermodel but have no trouble believing that said supermodel loves you back? 

And how can these people claim to be "in love" when the extent of their conversations are:

I love you baby, only you. 

Can't wait to see you, my husband. 

Miss you so much baby! emoji,emoji,emoji

Yeah, it is weird.  And to think.....TLC takes this weird stuff and spins it into a love story!  I wonder if the cameraman and sound guy who are filming ever just get so tickled that they can't stop laughing.  I mean, it's beyond crazy, imo. How do sane people hold it together?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Am I the only one that stopped watching The Other Way ever since Before the 90 Days came out? I watched I think the first three or four episodes of this, but after Before the 90 Days came out, this became boring. Paul and Karine are HORRIBLE and everyone else are just bland. Which surprises me, because usually I love travel shows. 

I think they made a mistake putting this on the same season timeline as Before the 90 Days. I still come on this forum to follow the cast members journeys and read the snark because you guys are awesome, but the cast has bored me.  Maybe if Before the 90 Days wasn’t on currently, I would continue to watch The Other Way.

Also confession, I never watch any of the Happily Ever After shows. Or any of the follow up shows to the reality shows I watch. For instance, Love After Lock Up. I think they had a Life after Lock Up? But once I’ve seen the couples initially, I’m pretty much done with them and I get bored of them if their story drags out too far.  With the exception of Darcy, but only because she has a new love interest. As much as I like Jesse, I find Tom highly entertaining and he brings a fresh outlook to her storyline. 

Anyway, I know we’re probably not supposed to post about other shows here, but I just think TLC shot themselves in the foot with running this show during the same time as “Before”. But I feel I don’t need to even watch this show anymore. I can come here and y’all’s comments are better than watching the show itself! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

With all due respect, someone should probably tell Jenny’s daughter that coming out as a lesbian and disobeying your Indian parents are not in the same category.  Not even close.

I don't think she was necessarily equating them, but used the analogy as why he needs to stand up to his parents and live his truth -- if that means loving Jenny.  I also took this as her huge dose of skepticism that he really can't stand up to his parents and there's something else he's hiding.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I need to create a spreadsheet called "Who Has a Secret?"  so I can keep track of all the secrets that are to be revealed among all the franchises. It's ridiculous.

Someone remind me why Deavan is moving to Korea rather than Jihoon coming to the US. Deavan has a job, Jihoon does not (well he just got a shitty job) and  a place to live that doesn't involve sleeping on the floor. And he speaks a bit of English while Deavan speaks no Korean. Is there an issue with Jihoon coming to the US?

Pole is such a baby man. Rather than trying to figure his shit out, and despite fact that his residency request was approved, he wants to jump on a plane cuz Kareeny won't talk to him, despite the fact that he is about to have a kid to support. I wonder if he is trying to run away from actually getting a job. 

I have no patience for Tiffany at this point. 

I think next week reveals Jihoon did something illegal which could prevent him obtaining a good job and entry into the USA..

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I don't want to generalize or stereotype an entire culture, but I've had many friends from South Korea and I've traveled there. While some of my Korean gal pals do sometimes seem younger than me, they're more childLIKE and not childISH. They like cuddly stuffed animals, cartoon purses, and Disney animation but they're also very responsible, respectful of their elders (I can't imagine one of them springing a wife and baby on their family), and very good students who are focused on goal setting. I did a "man on the street" quiz with my Korean friends over this episode and they're as flummoxed as us. 

I have to agree, I think most Korean families would be dying of shame with a son like Jihoon.  He seems slightly off...I think mother Jihoon is not just wishing but praying Deavan takes him back to the US.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Bunnyette said:

I have to agree, I think most Korean families would be dying of shame with a son like Jihoon.  He seems slightly off...I think mother Jihoon is not just wishing but praying Deavan takes him back to the US.

Maybe Mother Jihoon and Mother Paul should set up a joint GFM to help raise enough money to keep their sons abroad. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

Wow, it is a thing of beauty to witness devans best laid plans turn to dust.  Taeyang is beautiful and I'm glad he has a wonderful set of grandparents. 

Devan was envisioning a life of being taken care of in Korea.  Now she is cramped into a tiny apartment, but it's good to know that her commitment to being a consummate complainer and wet rag remains strong in spite of these setbacks.  

There is only so much she will be able to motivate jihoon through nagging.  He will likely not be on the.corporate path that will allow her to live the life she thinks she deserves.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Kid said:

I don’t think that Jenny’s daughter-in-law is fooled by Sumit one teeny tiny little bit!!  Jenny needs a healthy dose of that skepticism!

Jenny is 60 years old and was happily letting her daughter and her wife fight her battles.....with her boyfriend.  She should be mortified.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

Jihoon & Deaven at the airport, "blah, blah, it's so real, blah..." Jihoon, " I didn't understand a word she said, but yeah, it's real." 

Both Tiffany & Deaven now have two children with underperforming dads. When does reality hit these thots? Just sad.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, b2H said:

My guess is, he'll feel compelled to because, otherwise, his mother is left alone in remote Washington State.  Not really sure how that wouldn't happen.  He's not going to leave his mom without some kind of presence for support.  Totally appropriate.

Corey lived on a family compound.  I’m not sure why people think his mother would be all alone when he has siblings who are there.  Considering that Corey was weeping in a fetal position with his mother having to clutch his hand while he got his Ecuador immunizations, I’m not sure how much support he would be to her.

• LOL 12
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And least we forget when he did arrive at the airport late it with the dog in tow he also managed to buy the wrong size car seat for an infant!

He reminds me of Paul and what Paul's mother said about him.  His brain is like a computer without all the wires connected!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Kid said:

Pole is a germaphobe???  And he lives in that slum????   Amazing what a piece of ass can motivate you to do.

I'll bet Paul's amazing in bed!!!!  Gives me chills just thinking about that coupling!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bunnyette said:

I wonder if jihoons parents might be a little slow?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1