Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Walking A Tight Rope

• Start Topic

On 9/7/2019 at 11:11 AM, HelloOutThere said:

I’m 35 and a gay man who spent the first 20 years of my life in the closet. Early on while still in the closet, the only way I could meet other guys was on the Internet. This was in the late ‘90s — think AOL dial up days. Given the tech at the time you were lucky to get a single photo of someone given the lack of digital cameras, etc. It was easy to fall in love (more like lust) with an idea of someone. 

Let’s just say I learned about “catfishing” decades ago.  Meeting in person was a disappointment 99% of the time. (Man I could tell some stories!)

As tech matured and photos became more prevalent, then apps like Grindr (ugh) came on scene, I realized that even with photos, PEOPLE STILL LIE. The latest innovation - filters - has made it even worse. 

It’s been fascinating seeing the general straight population migrate to online dating and dealing with catfish, falling in love with obviously fake profiles, etc. It’s like “welcome to my entire ‘dating’ life from 1998 to 2005!”

I say all this to make this point: I find meeting in person, organically, is still the best way to meet people. There is something about a person’s energy and aura that does not come across in online profiles, no matter how accurate. On the rare occasions I do meet someone online, I always try to meet ASAP to see if there is a connection. ASAP as in that day or the next day. 

Carrying on for weeks, months, or YEARS online without meeting a person is so crazy and juvenile to me. And we have 60 year olds getting scammed right and left. It’s nuts. 

On topic for the episode: remember “The Shining” and how Shelley Duvall was a hot ass crazy mess who looked like shit the entire movie and was constantly hysterical and just so strange looking? Deaven reminds me of her in that movie SO MUCH. She and Jihoon should have their honeymoon at the Overlook hotel! Devil spawn Drascilla would fit right in!

I’m 45 and started using personal ads in 1992 to date. Met my husband that way 3 years later. Never dated the conventional way. 

The personals were at the back of your local free paper. I used the Miami New Times. You paid per minute to leave a message on an ad you liked, or paid 15 bucks for your own add. I dated like 5 times per week. The majority were decent people, and surprisingly, I found about 3 out of every 5 to be attractive. It was a lot of fun and really worked. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 9/9/2019 at 7:48 PM, DVDFreaker said:

Now Paul can shut up about asking Karine to take a DNA test

Because he's the only blue-eyed white guy in the region?   That's almost as good as the kid on "Unexpected" who saw "his" daughter on the ultrasound and immediately KNEW he was the father because she has his nose.  At least the kid is only 18.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 9/6/2019 at 6:56 AM, brilliantbreakfast said:

It constantly amazes me how susceptible and desperate many women in their 60s are.  I know one who was still in her unhappy marriage when she fell for a scam.  The minute she sent me the photo of the guy I knew it was a scam.  They always say they're in the military, for one.  But she insisted she'd background-checked him and prattled on and on about how she was going to move across the country to be with him.  Then a few months later she told me she'd been scammed.

TLC is missing the boat.  These scams happen TOO OFTEN in the United States, but there are enough of those pathetic souls to start an "I WAS SCAMMED" franchise on TLC.  At least the ladies (almost always ladies) could earn some of that lost (gifted) money.  

• Love 1
On 9/3/2019 at 1:25 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

At least there won’t be any fights about who is going to wake up at night to feed the baby. EVERYONE will be awake, except for Doggie Jihoon, who will quickly realize that playing second fiddle to a baby human sucks. 

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😆😆😆👍

• Love 1