Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Walking A Tight Rope

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, RealReality said:

Jenny is 60 years old and was happily letting her daughter and her wife fight her battles.....with her boyfriend.  She should be mortified.

Jenny has no sense!  That's why her daughter is fighting her battles.  I would guess Jenny has had a lifetime of bad choices hence sleeping in daughters guest room and going to India with her life savings of $6,000 to meet a man like Sumit with secrets!

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I wonder if jihoons parents might be a little slow?

Slow to push their overgrown baby bird out of the nest, maybe.

I think if Jihoon were the same age as Deavan, it might be easier to buy the argument that he was an unwitting mark whom she duped into becoming an instadad. He has been an adult for over 10 years now, what has he been doing other than running up credit cards and swiping on Tinder?

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I think if Jihoon were the same age as Deavan, it might be easier to buy the argument that he was an unwitting mark whom she duped into becoming an instadad. He has been an adult for over 10 years now, what has he been doing other than running up credit cards and swiping on Tinder?

I guess I still can't get over the raw bacon scene in my mind and visual?  Who does that???

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Spike said:

Jenny looks even worse after it comes out it took her months to accept her daughter as a lesbian.

I saw that dinner story ending differently..

I thought the daughter was going to say "I finally worked up the nerve to talk to my mom about it and she was so supportive, that's why you should talk to your parents" but instead she was like "Listen Sumit my mom is not only an unattractive idiot but also kind of a bigot who almost cut off her own kid, but that's neither here nor there: you should talk to your parents about my mom and then worst case they never talk to you again, NBD."

• Love 24
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not being sarcastic, but what is Submit so afraid of? Are we talking about the loss of a foot, eye, public shunning, disinheritance, or worse? Just not sure.

Shame is still a pretty powerful thing, in many places.  To be shamed and shunned is something many will try to avoid.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I wonder if jihoons parents might be a little slow?

no- i think they are just quiet, demure people, maybe a bit overwhelmed with the show, the cameras, the filming, the language.  their underperforming son...

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
7 minutes ago, Lesia said:

Shame is still a pretty powerful thing, in many places.  To be shamed and shunned is something many will try to avoid.

Oh, I know.  It can be devastating in some cultures, as the person may never find their place in society again. It calls to the mind the Amish and how they practice shunning.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I saw that dinner story ending differently..

I thought the daughter was going to say "I finally worked up the nerve to talk to my mom about it and she was so supportive, that's why you should talk to your parents" but instead she was like "Listen Sumit my mom is not only an unattractive idiot but also kind of a bigot who almost cut off her own kid, but that's neither here nor there: you should talk to your parents about my mom and then worst case they never talk to you again, NBD."

And Jenny can’t use the pretext that she won’t have grandchildren because she does have them.  Revolting.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I guess I still can't get over the raw bacon scene in my mind and visual?  Who does that???

I can vouch that American bacon is not a thing worldwide (sadly, because it's fucking delicious).  When my very own 90-day fiance came here from Austria with his best man for our wedding, they both asked me why I was cooking and or burning the bacon and yes, they both said it should be eaten raw.  I was appalled.  They were both pretty educated and widely traveled men, so go figure.  I was thinking they were used to prosciutto or other similar meats...anyway, neither of them were slow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Spike said:

Jenny looks even worse after it comes out it took her months to accept her daughter as a lesbian. It’s nothing immoral, criminal, or disgusting.  She was born that way.  You however make a buffoon of yourself by choosing to pursue a dumpy much younger mama’s boy halfway across the world.  Maybe your daughter should be lauded for accepting you.

Preach!!

• Love 9
10 hours ago, John M said:

I think I was most annoyed by Deavon’s lack of self-awareness, you live with your parents with a feral child, you did not give of a partnership track at a white shoe law firm, you maybe worked part-time at an underperforming Payless, where is YOUR savings, and YOUR apartment.

Thank you.  She is giving up an "amazing job" and is living with her parents (rent free I presume) so she should have a lot saved up from this fantastic job she is constantly whining about giving up. 

Mysteriously, the subject of jihoon moving here has never even come up.  Which I would expect in light of this fantastic job that Devan should have been reluctant to give up. 

I think jihoons parents want him to move to the US. 

2 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

He is, as he said....a childish man.  

He was the wrong mark. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Dobian said:

This is the couple I have the least interest in.  Tiffany has become Ronald's probation officer and his main emotion is resentment.  That's just a guaranteed fail, and the two of them are unpleasant to watch.

Something about the whole Tiffany/Ronald thing was really bugging me.  He said he wanted to go buy a car part and the store would be closing soon, but he had to wait because Tiffany was doing her hair and make-up. WTF!! Who does their hair and make-up to go to a car parts store?  If she was really concerned about where he would go and what he would do, couldn't she have just waited in the car while he went and bought the part if she was so concerned about her appearance?  Then, when she said she forgot her wallet she said they could still go.  Why would you still go to a store to buy something if you can't buy anything? 

I think they were going to go somewhere she didn't want to go (like out with the friends she doesn't approve of), and she sabotaged it by being late and "forgetting" her wallet.  Can't buy drinks, etc. if you have no money - you can only visit - hence Ronald's seemingly disproportionate anger (who gets THAT pissed over a car part?) 

I find it hard to believe she is keeping ALL the money and he couldn't even buy a drink or snack while out - she probably has him on an allowance.  If he was serious about ONLY going for a car part, that was the perfect way to prove he was trying to earn her trust.  She could have given him X amount of money and he could have returned with the part and the receipt.  You can't trust someone won't fail unless you give them the opportunity to do so and they don't.

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, nr65000 said:

I can vouch that American bacon is not a thing worldwide (sadly, because it's fucking delicious).  When my very own 90-day fiance came here from Austria with his best man for our wedding, they both asked me why I was cooking and or burning the bacon and yes, they both said it should be eaten raw.  I was appalled.  They were both pretty educated and widely traveled men, so go figure.  I was thinking they were used to prosciutto or other similar meats...anyway, neither of them were slow.

Raw bacon just sounds unpalatable....with bacon I've seen there are like strips of raw fat.  Who wants to eat that????,

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Something about the whole Tiffany/Ronald thing was really bugging me.  He said he wanted to go buy a car part and the store would be closing soon, but he had to wait because Tiffany was doing her hair and make-up. WTF!! Who does their hair and make-up to go to a car parts store?  If she was really concerned about where he would go and what he would do, couldn't she have just waited in the car while he went and bought the part if she was so concerned about her appearance?  Then, when she said she forgot her wallet she said they could still go.  Why would you still go to a store to buy something if you can't buy anything? 

I think they were going to go somewhere she didn't want to go (like out with the friends she doesn't approve of), and she sabotaged it by being late and "forgetting" her wallet.  Can't buy drinks, etc. if you have no money - you can only visit - hence Ronald's seemingly disproportionate anger (who gets THAT pissed over a car part?) 

I find it hard to believe she is keeping ALL the money and he couldn't even buy a drink or snack while out - she probably has him on an allowance.  If he was serious about ONLY going for a car part, that was the perfect way to prove he was trying to earn her trust.  She could have given him X amount of money and he could have returned with the part and the receipt.  You can't trust someone won't fail unless you give them the opportunity to do so and they don't.

I absolutely call bullshit on her forgetting her purse/wallet.  She didn't seem at all rattled or surprised that it happened. 

I think that has happened to me like once when I decided to use a purse I normally don't use and forgot to change my wallet over.  When I realized what had happened I was nervous as hell because I had no money and no ID.

• Love 11

I'm sorry but I can not give up my belief that Corey is gay, he reads like every gay person I know. Even his interaction with Evilen after his dad died felt like a homosexual and their gal pal.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Tiffany should have done more research about addicts before deciding to marry, move and get impregnated by one.  You can't control the addict to steer away from his addiction.  He really can't go to the store by himself with his own money?  Let me know how that works out for you in a few years Tiffany. 

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Tiffany should have done more research about addicts before deciding to marry, move and get impregnated by one.  You can't control the addict to steer away from his addiction.  He really can't go to the store by himself with his own money?  Let me know how that works out for you in a few years Tiffany. 

She says she cannot trust him with money, okay that may be proof they are not ready for a relationship, Alanon tells people not to look in the trash can for the bottles because you know they are in there...Tiffany cannot constantly be policing him. 

At some point one of them might get a job (I say might because no one on this show seems to have a job) and you can't be with them every second of the day so learn to let go and when you draw a line in the sand, mean it because otherwise you are an enabler.

• Love 15
54 minutes ago, John M said:

Have none of these people ever heard of birth control? I'm just amazed at how blithely they treat getting pregnant when their lives are so far from being in order.

Tiffany, infuriatingly and proudly admitted that they started trying to get pregnant as soon as they were married.  And they were married when he was a mere eight days out of rehab.....but you know....she didn't want to "wait forever" 

🙄

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 9/3/2019 at 9:59 AM, PinkFlamingo said:

When Corey’s relationship inevitably implodes he will regret wasting his time in Ecuador and being away from his family, before and after his fathers death. My thoughts were he should get home ASAP to be there for his mother. Such a terrible thing to lose a parent when both are at such a young age (the father being 62 is young in my opinion, and Corey is young). 

Corey sat there robotically delivering his lines almost in shock and I’m like just send him home for God sake. He has a lot to sort through, not being there before an unexpected death is going to mess with his head. Poor guy. 

He's going to need intensive therapy because even if this relationship was true love and lasted a lifetime, he'll feel guilt being so far away when it happened.  And given that Evelin has no use for Corey except for his bank account, he's going to feel that much worse when the relationship ends.  Of course, no one could have ever predicted his dad would pass away at such a young age, but it won't matter.  He'll guilt himself for chasing reality TV fame and a woman that doesn't want him.

• Love 4

Jihoon didnt have time to get a job but he had time to dye his hair.  If I had a dollar for every time Tiffany said it's not gonna work because (insert reason) and yet stays I'd be rich.   Can you imagine the amount of time it's gonna take to watch Ronald 24/7 with a newborn.   I'm tired just thinking about it.  Anytime my husband, daughter and I talk about Jenny we call her "That Jenny?"  It will never not be funny.   Daugther in law Jenn was the real MVP of this episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

Just how mentally exhausting it must be treating your spouse like a poorly behaved child. I have no idea what my husband spends money on or where he is when I'm at work because I TRUST HIM, like the foundation of any healthy relationship.

If you can't trust your husband to go to the auto parts store with his debit card and buy wiper blades or whatever, WTF are you doing?

• Love 21
On 9/3/2019 at 9:24 AM, PinkFlamingo said:

My guess on sumit is that his parents arranged a marriage for him that is supposed to happen in the future. They are harassing him to come home because he is supposed to be going through engagement activities or something. It doesn’t really make sense for him to already be married even though that thought did cross my mind.  

Ha!! maybe he had to get home for the actual wedding?   I don't know,  nothing about him makes much sense. 

Jenny needs to watch the episode on Michael Landon on "Autopsy," because one of the  guests is Karen Grassle, his co-star in "Little House on the Prairie."  She looks like she has had work done on her face, but she also wore a scarf to cover her neck.  Jenny needs to wear a scarf like Karen Grassle if she is trying to pass herself off as younger than an auntie/granny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

A few thoughts on the couples:

Paul & Karine- she's adorable, Paul's a wacko. 

Jenny & Sumit- odd, odd, odd.  He's not a bad looking guy.  Is he really attracted to Jenny?  This really must be staged.

Laura & Aladin- I don't see the attraction either way.

Tiffany & Ronald- No interest in these two- I don't watch when they're on.

Corey & Evelin-  He won't last in that primitive "apartment" in that primitive village.  Let's get real.

Deavan & Jihoon- Poor girl just flew for 24 hours (assuming she changed planes somewhere) with a baby, only to end up in a studio apartment with his parents.  Girl needed a shower and a good night's sleep.  I shudder to imagine the bathing options available (or not) to her.

• Love 4

Just reading this today.  Tiffany could be in a lot of danger in South Africa.  I hope it's ok to bring this over. 

'The death toll from sweeping anti-immigrant riots in Johannesburg suburbs rose to five on Tuesday as police attempted to restore order with rubber bullets.

Large sections of Africa’s largest and wealthiest city were deserted as tens of thousands of workers, commuters and school children stayed home to avoid violence directed at ‘foreigners’ from other parts of Africa.'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/five-dead-mobs-burn-down-160644260.html

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, John M said:

Just how mentally exhausting it must be treating your spouse like a poorly behaved child. I have no idea what my husband spends money on or where he is when I'm at work because I TRUST HIM, like the foundation of any healthy relationship.

If you can't trust your husband to go to the auto parts store with his debit card and buy wiper blades or whatever, WTF are you doing?

My parents have been somewhat successfully married nearly 40 years.  They keep separate accounts but have joint assets.  They fight about many things, money is never one of them. 

I cannot fathom what their life is supposed to look like?  One of them has to work, is he given an allowance or just not allowed to have any money?  All this babysitting sounds so exhausting and I'll bet Daniel has and has earned more financial freedom.  

5 hours ago, mamadrama said:

My husband, for one. He grew up eating his bacon that way.

Is it fully raw?  With all the marbled white far strips?  Has he tried it cooked?  If so, does he prefer it raw or cooked?  The white strip of fat just looks.....less than tasty.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

My parents have been somewhat successfully married nearly 40 years.  They keep separate accounts but have joint assets.  They fight about many things, money is never one of them. 

I cannot fathom what their life is supposed to look like?  One of them has to work, is he given an allowance or just not allowed to have any money?  All this babysitting sounds so exhausting and I'll bet Daniel has and has earned more financial freedom.  

Is it fully raw?  With all the marbled white far strips?  Has he tried it cooked?  If so, does he prefer it raw or cooked?  The white strip of fat just looks.....less than tasty.  

He takes it out of the refrigerator and puts it into a pre-heated skillet set on "low". He gives it 10 seconds on each side, just enough to take the chill off. I've also seen him just eat it without any heat at all. He can't eat it cooked or warmed all the way through. 

• Useful 2
18 hours ago, John M said:

Have none of these people ever heard of birth control? I'm just amazed at how blithely they treat getting pregnant when their lives are so far from being in order.

None of these people have ever painted themselves as people who make good life decisions. 

We don't really know what their lives were like pre 90 Day shows but something tells all of us that there were more than a few bad life choices that had been made that got them to the place they are in now and we get to watch the culmination of those shitty choices play out!

I am not sure why they choose to celebrate the fact that they are pregnant, have no place to live and no money let alone having no health insurance...we can only hope that the next generation will be smarter than their parents.

Stay in school.

• Love 13
20 hours ago, RealReality said:

I absolutely call bullshit on her forgetting her purse/wallet.  She didn't seem at all rattled or surprised that it happened. 

I think that has happened to me like once when I decided to use a purse I normally don't use and forgot to change my wallet over.  When I realized what had happened I was nervous as hell because I had no money and no ID.

I was only half-assed watching and have since deleted the episode, but I could swear that Tiffany pulled a quick shit-eating *grin* when she revealed she had left her purse. It was quick, maybe a little longer than a microexpression, but that smile made the scene read as all kinds of faked up bullshit to me.

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
20 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Tiffany wouldn't dream of being seen without makeup, any more than she would go somewhere without a cold shoulder top.

I saw a photo of her taken during her current pregnancy. If her pregnancy with Daniel was anything like this one, she HAD to know. Not believing she "didn't know!" at all.

I had a friend in high school who got pregnant. She got bigger and bigger, everyone of course was asking, and she denied, denied, right up to the end. Not saying it doesn't happen, but most of the time I believe it's just denial elevated.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

My husband, for one. He grew up eating his bacon that way.

Is he German?  Eastern European?  I had a lady buy me some thinly sliced raw bacon from a local deli shop....along with dark pumpernickel bread and mustard it’s soooooooooo delicious.  The bacon kind of melts even though it’s raw.

She seemed to indicate she only eats it this way when she can get it sliced from a bulk piece.  I think grocery store bacon would be too thick.  I’m not a bacon fan but this version was great.

• Useful 2

Does Jihoon have a criminal record in Korea?  I know he seems to live in the sticks but menial jobs are pretty plentiful in Asia.  Real jobs that is.  Do we need to add him to the “I have a secret” list?

Also when he calls his sons name why does he say it in an exaggerated romcom Separated from your One True Love voice?  It made sense when he watched the birth over a cell phone.  But he’s doing it when he sees the baby in person.  Taeyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuung!

13 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Is he German?  Eastern European?  I had a lady buy me some thinly sliced raw bacon from a local deli shop....along with dark pumpernickel bread and mustard it’s soooooooooo delicious.  The bacon kind of melts even though it’s raw.

She seemed to indicate she only eats it this way when she can get it sliced from a bulk piece.  I think grocery store bacon would be too thick.  I’m not a bacon fan but this version was great.

You just be an amazing person if people are just buying you bacon sandwiches 🤣

Maybe the thin sliced is the trick, I'm thinking of normal thick cut bacon with the giant fat strip and oh boy

• LOL 5
7 minutes ago, RealReality said:

You just be an amazing person if people are just buying you bacon sandwiches 🤣

Maybe the thin sliced is the trick, I'm thinking of normal thick cut bacon with the giant fat strip and oh boy

I am kind of amazing bwahahahahahahaha!  And those Eastern European aunties love to share!  I’m still kind of wondering when she dropped by my house lol...it was a passing conversation of Foods from the Homeland but hey, glad she did.

I prefer my bacon crisp to almost burned if I have to eat it.  But room temp fat can be delicious.  I think we Americans just associate with those gloopy strips out of the package....not real appetizing.  Go find yourself a deli with fresh bacon?  Work on yourself, babe.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, John M said:

That is a wonderfully blunt question. 

Tiffany is one of those women who thinks she can change her man.

Ha ha jokes on her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I am kind of amazing bwahahahahahahaha!  And those Eastern European aunties love to share!  I’m still kind of wondering when she dropped by my house lol...it was a passing conversation of Foods from the Homeland but hey, glad she did.

I prefer my bacon crisp to almost burned if I have to eat it.  But room temp fat can be delicious.  I think we Americans just associate with those gloopy strips out of the package....not real appetizing.  Go find yourself a deli with fresh bacon?  Work on yourself, babe.

True, I won't stop until I'm getting mystery bacon sandwiches at my door!!

Yeah, I'm a crispy bacon person myself.  But I'd try the sandwich you describe.  I'm not sure if there is an eastern European community in NorCal where I could find this sandwich.

6 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

That is a wonderfully blunt question. 

Tiffany is one of those women who thinks she can change her man.

Ha ha jokes on her.

Im not even sure that deep down she really believes that. 

Superficially sure, but she couldn't give him $20 and get back a receipt?  

I think it's like someone above said, she just likes being a martyr and a nag. 

Poor her, married to an addict eight days out of rehab.  Poor her, having to drag herself and Daniel to another country.  Poor her, Ronald ignores her and humps a keg.  Poor her, Ronald yelled at her for forgetting her purse because apparently they couldn't go to the store until a minute before they closed. 

If you focus on how much of a shitheel Ronald is, you won't take a good hard look at Tiffany.  

And Ronald being a shitheel addict gives her so many opportunities to be a nag and then a martyr.  

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Poor her, married to an addict eight days out of rehab.  Poor her, having to drag herself and Daniel to another country.  Poor her, Ronald ignores her and humps a keg.  Poor her, Ronald yelled at her for forgetting her purse because apparently they couldn't go to the store until a minute before they closed. 

If you focus on how much of a shitheel Ronald is, you won't take a good hard look at Tiffany.  

And Ronald being a shitheel addict gives her so many opportunities to be a nag and then a martyr.  

I can see your point but nag is not a word I would use to describe her, martyr yes.

The much put upon Tiffany might not even want Ronald to get better, she may want to say that she has tried everything to try to help him but poor Tiffany just couldn't make it work after she gave up everything to be with him.

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Yeah she should focus some of her energy on weight loss.  If she is that heavy in her 20s we can only imagine what her 40s and 50s will look like.

• Love 6

Was out of town, so finally got around to watching this episode.

Ji-buffoon & Goth Geisha Girl - what in the world were they talking about for months and months before she came to S. Korea? They should have been discussing living arrangements, money, checklists of things for him to do/to get/to buy in order to be ready for her arrival. Instead, there's car seat mix-ups and surprise, surprise, we're livin' with the 'rents for months on end she gets blindsided with. Don't these people communicate at all? I'm not a fan of Goth Geisha Girl by any means, but she should've found out what she was in for exactly before she boarded that plane. What a sh*t stirrer Ji-buffoon is -  for him to tell his parents she doesn't want to be living there with them? Colossal boo-boo. They're going to love the grandbaby but her, not so much.

Sue-Meat and Mrs. Magoo - why does Jenny sit there grinning & blinking like a fool behind those giant unflattering glasses and let her daughter do the dirty work for her? Jenny should be asking Sue-Meat the hard questions and insist on getting a straight answer, not the daughter.  Who would be content to sit alone in an apartment in a foreign country while their SO (who has no job) flits off to parts unknown for days on end.

Raw-nold and Tiffster - they're both so dysfunctional. If they're like this now in the honeymoon phase, how's it going to be later on in this ill-conceived (no pun intended) marriage? She's acting like his warden and that's going to get old quick. And Raw-nold is going to be pushing back big time, as we already witnessed in their verbal altercation. And I did see her smirk when she told him she didn't bring her purse. What woman doesn't take a purse with her when she leaves the house? That was either deliberate on her part or it was staged by TLC to provide drama.

Every one of these chicks should pack their bags and split. But I guess the lure of TLC money is too much to resist for these losers.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Yeah she should focus some of her energy on weight loss.  If she is that heavy in her 20s we can only imagine what her 40s and 50s will look like.

She should focus that energy on her son!  Or building her makeup business!  Or finding a decent non addicted guy who likes bigger women!  Or therapy!  

There are a million things she could be doing besides chasing low grade addict dick to another continent.  

• Love 16
58 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Every one of these chicks should pack their bags and split. But I guess the lure of TLC money is too much to resist for these losers.

How much money could they possibly be paid?  If you think about the cluster fuck your life will have to become in order to participate in this shit I doubt TLC is paying enough to cover the tab. I doubt they pay enough to even be able to fix the mess you would have if you wanted to go home.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I am not sure why they choose to celebrate the fact that they are pregnant, have no place to live and no money let alone having no health insurance..

because they have the potential of being Reality TV Stars and getting paid to be idiots. 

• Love 6