Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

S04.E01: Spring Break Forever

Recommended Posts

Quote

Panic spreads through Neptune when a bomb goes off during spring break. Veronica and Keith are hired by the wealthy family of one victim injured in the bombing to find out who is responsible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah to HULU from dropping this a week early. And thank you to all the VM Gods and Kristen Bell for Logan (and Jason Dohring) being shirtless so quickly. 

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was so excited to see this available already!  

Just to get this out of the way early - I hate the theme song. Hate it. I don’t like Chrissy Hynde (or whatever her name is) and just think that version is all wrong. 

Poor Logan. That was pretty harsh if Veronica to so soundly turn down the proposal. I haven’t seen the rest of the episodes yet, but I’m thinking she’ll change her mind. Probably in the last episode. 

During that scene in the motel office I had such a feeling of dread knowing the bomb is going to go off and knowing those people were going to die. 

I’m really worried about Keith and his memory loss. That PT was the absolute WORST. 

Wowza Logan shirtless. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Wallace has a nice woman and a cute kid! Logan suggested staying with them longer for Cards Against Humanity! Patton Oswalt! I don't think shirtless Jason Dohring has ever looked better. It's like they never left and yet so much is different. I loved Logan's proposal. And referencing Occam's Razor. They called him a Naval Intelligence Officer this time. They only stated pilot in the movie right? Damn that seems so appropriate for him. Our girl has had such an influence on him.

Oh, god Keith with the memory loss. Including saying the car accident was 2013. Movie was 2014 but didn't it take place in 2016? It's probably just a production mistake, but I'd rather believe it's a clue than believe Rob made a mistake.

I like the new mystery. New damaged teenager seems fine. Can't understand why Big Dick is taken seriously. I enjoyed seeing Simone from The Good Place and Dawnn Lewis. I like that Kristen and Rob are recruiting people from their other projects.

I think Krysten Ritter told the cast how awesome her Jessica Jones credits were and they copied them. They were pretty visuals that fit the darker elements of the show. Don't like the new cover. If they wanted a slow dreamy version they could do better. At least use Dandy Warhols part two. Or the Alejandro Escoveda cover from the movie. All other versions are better and I didn't mind this cover when I first heard it. I just didn't like it in context. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I’m just loving it so far! It feels much more like the show than the movie did if that makes sense. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I was glad to see Wallace. Something I read made me think he wasn't going to be back, so I'm happy that wasn't true.

I don't like Keith keeping his medical situation a secret from Veronica.

I know I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think Dohring looks grotesque-- did he have his face filed down to look like a robot triangle, instead of a human visage? I'm not a fan of him and Veronica together, and every scene he's in or where their relationship is references makes me sick. Move the hell on, show! If you need angst, at least make it interesting and not so repetitive. It's like Veronica has regressed. And Dohring still needs to get the marbles out of his mouth and learn to speak intelligibly.

I also think the "no f word" storyline is stupid.

But I still liked the episode overall. It has the right tone and I'm interested in the investigations.

I agree the new theme song is a fail. It just sounds to me like slow motion, no energy. Like someone fell asleep leaning on a vinyl record, causing it to spin too slow. Boring. No tension, no energy, no excitement. Just draining.

I thought a 30 year old Weevil was going to jump out of the trunk. Glad it wasn't him, but hoping to see him soon.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I know I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think Dohring looks grotesque-- did he have his face filed down to look like a robot triangle, instead of a human visage? I'm not a fan of him and Veronica together, and every scene he's in or where their relationship is references makes me sick.

I was a 'day one' VM watcher and I always disliked both the character of Logan, and Dohring as an actor. I checked out of iZombie when he turned up there and quickly got shirtless. I remember at the time it looked like they'd bolted someone else's overly-swole arms onto his body. I usually don't let one particular actor/character stop me from watching a show I like, but based on all the 'shirtless Logan' comments so far, guessing this new season isn't for me. 

Edit: based on some other info, decided to take a look. Really happy with the quality of the writing in episode one. Sometimes RT’s quirk can feel a little forced when it’s coming out of an actor’s mouth. This feels pretty polished—they got me invested in the bar owner, and the father/daughter hotel characters right away.

Edited by kieyra
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Whimsy said:

That PT was the absolute WORST. 

They didn't give us a good look at him, but according to the subtitles that was Corny.

I'm so happy the show is back!

  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

They didn't give us a good look at him, but according to the subtitles that was Corny.

I'm so happy the show is back!

I had the subtitles on too, so I checked imdb and that is Corny. I can't imagine anyone catching that w/o the subtitles.

Share this post


Link to post

As a fan of Cards Against Humanity, I enjoyed the shout out to the game, but you can't play that game with only four people. Well you can but it won't be any fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I know I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think Dohring looks grotesque-- did he have his face filed down to look like a robot triangle, instead of a human visage? I'm not a fan of him and Veronica together, and every scene he's in or where their relationship is references makes me sick. Move the hell on, show! If you need angst, at least make it interesting and not so repetitive. It's like Veronica has regressed. And Dohring still needs to get the marbles out of his mouth and learn to speak intelligibly.

Agree. Well, sort of agree. Their relationship doesn't make me sick, but I do think it's very tired and, like you say, a regression on Veronica's part. I wonder if Rob Thomas is afraid of pissing off the very, er, enthusiastic LoVe fanbase. I hope that's unfair - I've only seen this first episode - maybe there will be something new here. I really hope they don't go the route of making Veronica not wanting to get married and have kids a problem to be fixed. It makes sense if they break up over wanting different things, but Veronica has very Iegitimate reasons to feel the way she does.

And I'll be a little bitchy and admit that my first thought on seeing Dohring was, "wow, he's really showing his age in the face."

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode a lot. The mystery is intriguing enough. Patton Oswalt is always a selling point.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

My show is back no complaints from. 

Don't care about the theme. It's pretty brief anyway.

I love spending time in this world. I've realized that with all the media I love it's always that way. I love spending time in the world and with the characters. I don't spend much time nitpicking. I can call out flaws and I do. They just don't overrule my enjoyment.

Glad to see Wallace. It always makes me kind of sad that he was never snatched up for anything else. He's not the best actor out there but he has natural way about him. 

I will never fully understand the love for Logan or Dohring. I don't think he's really a good actor and in character he was too much a dick for too long for me to ever fully trust or invest in him. I believe he has changed but I don't ship him with anyone. In the same way I never ever was down with Buffy and Spike. Chemistry be damned.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Holy shit, I'm so glad this is back! I was so impressed with the first episode. As a Logan fan, the entire, "Hey, blue shorts!" scene had me rolling. I found his physical appearance in the movie a bit odd, probably because we first saw him in a uniform that didn't fit properly, but either I'm used to it now, or he's filled out more evenly, because: Yowza.

I like the changes they've made, particularly the new chief of police! This show will be very different with someone in charge of the police department who seems AT LEAST minimally competent! I think it will open up some interesting PI vs police dynamics that the original run of the show suppressed by making Mars Investigations the only functional investigating agency in Neptune.

The "cuss" thing is dumb, but hopefully they will scale it back a bit so it's not as annoying. It's too bad Hulu wouldn't let them swear, but I don't think lampshading it was the answer. Just not swearing would have been fine. The absence of f-bombs is less intrusive than the presence of "cuss."

And as for the theme song, ugh. I love the new opening credits! But the song isn't great. That's not a knock on the singer, I just think it's an impossible task. I agree with the decision to not use the original song. As much as I adore it, it is a high school song, that perfectly suited the tone and setting of the show when it was set in high school, and now it's no longer a good fit. HOWEVER, I don't think any cover of it will ever be right for the show now, as a theme song (apart from the acoustic cover from the movie which was perfect for that moment, but would be weird as a theme song). Even the lyrics don't really fit anymore. As much as I liked the credit sequence, I wish they would give up on trying to make the old song new again, and just use a quick title card instead of a whole opening credits sequence, so they wouldn't need a song at all. Just like with the "cussing," I feel like the absence of the song would be less intrusive than the presence of yet another not-quite-right cover version that will set fans' teeth on edge.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Cuss this is good! I never knew how much I missed this show. Do I remember wrong or was the movie not nearly this good?

On 7/20/2019 at 12:58 AM, Whimsy said:

During that scene in the motel office I had such a feeling of dread knowing the bomb is going to go off and knowing those people were going to die. 

Were you spoiled or did you just know? It was so obviously telegraphed that a bomb was going to go off and the scene went on and on, that I went from dread to impatience to slight annoyance. I guess in hindsight, you could have known from the opening scene, but I didn't think about that in the moment. There was just so much mundane stuff in the scene, that I knew it could only end with a bomb going off.

21 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Wallace has a nice woman and a cute kid!

Also he looks fiiiiine.

47 minutes ago, Slovenly Muse said:

The "cuss" thing is dumb, but hopefully they will scale it back a bit so it's not as annoying. It's too bad Hulu wouldn't let them swear, but I don't think lampshading it was the answer. Just not swearing would have been fine. The absence of f-bombs is less intrusive than the presence of "cuss."

Well, what I got from the Comic Con Conan interview was that the scripts were already written when Hulu told them "make it PG13" (which is a baffling move for a show with this much rape, child rape and murder) and he said "cuss it" and rather than rewrite the scenes, just replaced the word. I personally like it. It feels like the kind of dumb shit veronica and her father would do.

51 minutes ago, Slovenly Muse said:

HOWEVER, I don't think any cover of it will ever be right for the show now, as a theme song (apart from the acoustic cover from the movie which was perfect for that moment, but would be weird as a theme song). Even the lyrics don't really fit anymore. As much as I liked the credit sequence, I wish they would give up on trying to make the old song new again, and just use a quick title card instead of a whole opening credits sequence, so they wouldn't need a song at all.

I think it might have worked if they'd had just the instrumental version of the old song in a new arrangement. But yeah, the lyrics don't really fit anymore and they don't fit that new style of intro.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Miles said:

Were you spoiled or did you just know? It was so obviously telegraphed that a bomb was going to go off and the scene went on and on, that I went from dread to impatience to slight annoyance. I guess in hindsight, you could have known from the opening scene, but I didn't think about that in the moment. There was just so much mundane stuff in the scene, that I knew it could only end with a bomb going off.

I knew from the opening scene. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

>eah that makes sense. I kinda only remembered that scene while writing. Guess I should have edited myself at that point, but I have to say, this episode made me kinda giddy.

Share this post


Link to post

I actually like Dohring as an actor but I agree that he looks weird. He looked fine when he was on The Originals so I don't know what's up.

Good start to the show. I love how stuff you love can come back now and we barely even blink about it anymore! I said it over in the media thread already but I hate the new theme song. Somebody gave it a big shot of Valium in the ass.

Knew Veronica would not take that proposal well. Keith's "Bye Felicia" was so funny. I love that the girl from The Good Place is on the show. She's awesome already. No wonder Veronica is smitten. Wallace is looking fine. Cliff! And Eliza Coupe. On to the next episode.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Man this was a such a great episode. It captures the core of the show but with a natural progression. The writing was tight, the characterisation was good. I'm so happy after the bleh of the movie.

1 hour ago, Miles said:

Do I remember wrong or was the movie not nearly this good?

You do not remember wrong. But those who never saw it might wonder why Veronica and Logan are back together and he's in military intelligence. I found him suddenly being a pilot in the film more jarring than any revelation in this.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, Whimsy said:

Poor Logan. That was pretty harsh if Veronica to so soundly turn down the proposal.

Since she's probably made it clear from day one she has no interest in marriage, I'm more annoyed that he went through with a full proposal knowing that. Some people don't want to get married. 

21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I know I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think Dohring looks grotesque-- did he have his face filed down to look like a robot triangle, instead of a human visage? I'm not a fan of him and Veronica together, and every scene he's in or where their relationship is references makes me sick.

I hate Dohring's appearance as well, I thought he looked awful in iZombie and I'd rather he keep his shirt on frankly, but I always thought the show did a good job of selling Logan's character progression and they always loved each other so I have no problem with them being together. 

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

like the changes they've made, particularly the new chief of police! This show will be very different with someone in charge of the police department who seems AT LEAST minimally competent! I think it will open up some interesting PI vs police dynamics that the original run of the show suppressed by making Mars Investigations the only functional investigating agency in Neptune.

Interesting that it is an actual chief of police and not a sheriff. I guess the dream of Woody Goodman to make Neptune a real city actually happened at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

I agree with the decision to not use the original song. As much as I adore it, it is a high school song, that perfectly suited the tone and setting of the show when it was set in high school, and now it's no longer a good fit. HOWEVER, I don't think any cover of it will ever be right for the show now, as a theme song (apart from the acoustic cover from the movie which was perfect for that moment, but would be weird as a theme song). Even the lyrics don't really fit anymore.

That's a really good point. Maybe they need a new song, or just no song. Not all shows have songs anymore!

3 hours ago, Miles said:

I think it might have worked if they'd had just the instrumental version of the old song in a new arrangement.

I sort of like this idea, but reserve the right to hate it later if they try it and it doesn't come out well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fiftyninth said:

I don’t see anything wrong or weird about Jason Dohring’s appearance. He looks like adult Logan. 

Briefly, teen Logan didn’t look completely jacked on steroids. (Which is, along with some thinning of his face with age, what’s making his head look too small for his body.)

That said, I’m being a bit of a hypocrite, since I defend actresses who get plastic surgery, so this will be my last post on the subject.

Edited by kieyra
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I have missed this show so much! Overall, I enjoyed this episode, especially considering how much ground they had to cover in less than an hour - catch us up on the main characters, introduce new ones, set up the overarching mystery for the season.

I wasn't a fan of the new theme song when I heard it in that video they released a few weeks ago, but I didn't mind it as much when combined with the visuals of the new opening credits. I associate the Dandy Warhols version with the show so much that any change would never be good enough.

So far I really like the one of the new season. This might sound super nitpicky, but as someone who lived in both San Diego and LA, I could really see the difference between S1-S3 and the movie. It wasn't just the locations but the tone. I know I'm only one episode in, but this episode felt more similar to the San Diego vibe of the original tv show than the movie.

On a related note, the chyron said that the two guys in the car were in Tijuana, 80 miles south of Neptune. That would put Neptune around Dana Point/San Clemente aka Orange County, not San Diego. Oceanside is the northernmost coastal city in San Diego County (the area between Oceanside and Orange County is Camp Pendleton - the only thing between the two are rest stops, a few campgrounds, and beaches, but no actual houses or cities).

Even though I loved LoVe back in the day (mostly because Duncan was such a bore), I honestly would have been fine without any relationship stuff this season if Jason Dohring hadn't been able to come back for any reason. It's not a knock on him as an actor or Logan as a character either. I am just happy to see Keith and Veronica solving cases. Anything else is just extra. But knowing that Logan was back, thanks for getting him shirtless right away, show.

I was not surprised to hear that Veronica isn't interested in getting married, but I felt bad for Logan when she ran away so quickly that she would have left behind a poof of smoke if she were a cartoon character.

I love that Wallace is happily married with an adorable baby!

I know the actor who plays Alex as Paul from So You Think You Can Dance. I had no idea he'd gotten into acting so it was nice to see him pop up. The actress who plays Jillian looked so familiar to me, but I didn't recognize any of the three projects listed on her IMDB page so I guess she just looks like someone familiar to me.

I loved the first case with Eliza Coupe (Jane from Happy Endings). It was brief but funny - and lucrative! Good for Veronica for upping her rate once she found out that Karsyn turned down her ex-husband's piddling offer of $90k/month alimony. How can a person live with so little money?

I have loved seeing so many Veronica Mars actors pop up on iZombie so now it's fun to see some of the iZombie actors show up on Veronica Mars! The girl playing Matty (the motel owner's daughter) was Isobel (the girl with Freylich's on iZombie). And yay for Dawnn Lewis! She was Mama Leone on iZombie, but I remember her as Jaleesa from A Different World.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:58 PM, Whimsy said:

That PT was the absolute WORST. 

17 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

They didn't give us a good look at him, but according to the subtitles that was Corny.

It was definitely Corny because I heard Keith call him by his name during his PT session. I'm surprised that Corny made it through PT school. He didn't seem the most studious guy back in high school.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

23 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So far I really like the one of the new season. This might sound super nitpicky, but as someone who lived in both San Diego and LA, I could really see the difference between S1-S3 and the movie. It wasn't just the locations but the tone. I know I'm only one episode in, but this episode felt more similar to the San Diego vibe of the original tv show than the movie.

Yeah, the movie was filmed in Louisiana but it looks like Hulu is giving them the budget to film in San Diego/Los Angeles and it really adds to the show.

I thought Logan's face looked kind of weird but then I realized it's probably just aging and carrying way too little body fat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I thought Logan's face looked kind of weird but then I realized it's probably just aging and carrying way too little body fat.

A man needs to carry an astonishingly tiny amount of body fat in order to have 6 pack abs (usually under 8%). And sometimes that just really won't suit a person's facial bone structure. Tbh, I suspect that's possibly true for most people as we age and that men in their late 30s onwards who have 6 packs and beautiful full faces are the exceptions.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, kieyra said:

Briefly, teen Logan didn’t look completely jacked on steroids. (Which is, along with some thinning of his face with age, what’s making his head look too small for his body.)

That said, I’m being a bit of a hypocrite, since I defend actresses who get plastic surgery, so this will be my last post on the subject.

Dohring seems to be an gentleman organic farmer with bee hives and chickens. He has also made comments to the effect that he hasn’t had a piece of candy in years. And he has time for an avocation. i’m willing to believe that it is natural. 

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've always hated Dohring as an actor. Just shut your mouth already. He looks like he has a constant nasal obstruction. Agree with the poster above - he's the kind of person who has to chose between a 6 pack and his face. He clearly choose the 6 pack.

I'm okay with it so far. Don't care for the new theme song at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Fiftyninth said:

I don’t see anything wrong or weird about Jason Dohring’s appearance. He looks like adult Logan. 

It struck me at some point that he strongly resembles Noah Wylie from ER with this particular haircut and lower lighting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sara416 said:

It struck me at some point that he strongly resembles Noah Wylie from ER with this particular haircut and lower lighting. 

Although there were two, perhaps three, tomes when he really had a look, one he often had as a teen, and it surprised me. Some was the dropped jaw, mouth breAthing thing. Anyway I figured ot was deliberate. 

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

he's the kind of person who has to chose between a 6 pack and his face. He clearly choose the 6 pack.

There’s a similar saying about how once women get past a certain age, they have to choose between their faces or their asses (well, bodies). I didn’t really get it when I was younger but I see it now. I guess when you’re young, you have enough collagen to keep your face and skin looking youthful but as you get older, if you have very low body fat then your skin starts to look less dewy and more haggard. 

But it doesn’t seem out of character that Logan started working out somewhere between graduation and the reunion. I can see him channeling his energy into working out almost obsessively to deal with the stress, trauma, and boredom. I can see him keeping it up in the military, especially when he was stationed overseas. Working out is a pretty common pastime that allows you to be in a room with other people without having to socialize and I can see how that would appeal to Logan.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There’s a similar saying about how once women get past a certain age, they have to choose between their faces or their asses (well, bodies). I didn’t really get it when I was younger but I see it now. I guess when you’re young, you have enough collagen to keep your face and skin looking youthful but as you get older, if you have very low body fat then your skin starts to look less dewy and more haggard. 

But it doesn’t seem out of character that Logan started working out somewhere between graduation and the reunion. I can see him channeling his energy into working out almost obsessively to deal with the stress, trauma, and boredom. I can see him keeping it up in the military, especially when he was stationed overseas. Working out is a pretty common pastime that allows you to be in a room with other people without having to socialize and I can see how that would appeal to Logan.

And it can be a substitute for other addictive behavior, like drinking.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Affogato said:

And it can be a substitute for other addictive behavior, like drinking.

Wasn't Logan stationed on an aircraft carrier at the time of the movie. Aren't US Navy ships dry. Can't see Logan taking part in a ton of group activities, nor watching a ton of tv, so that kind of leaves working out or reading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Wasn't Logan stationed on an aircraft carrier at the time of the movie. Aren't US Navy ships dry. Can't see Logan taking part in a ton of group activities, nor watching a ton of tv, so that kind of leaves working out or reading.

I think that would have been one of the draws. But also he spent time not on the carrier. 

Share this post


Link to post

Between "cuss" and "Holy mortherforking shirtballs,' one has to wonder whether KB just sits around throwing F-bombs at people just because she can. 

I also have to admit that I found our little Veronica's talking about hand jobs and cumming first a little disquieting. If someone takes that and dubs it over Anna in Frozen 2, Disney is going to be pissed.  

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

The actress and character are fully grown women, and hopefully KB isn’t beholden to Disney over the content of her other projects.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We made it marshmallows! Season four baby! Not to get all mushy or to over share, but VMars was my first real fandom, at least online fandom, and it kind of grew up with me. I was fifteen when they show started, just a bit younger than Veronica, and while we had VERY different high school experiences, that show and that character got me through a lot of growing pains, and as she grew and overcame her many, MANY obstacles, I felt like I could overcome mine as well. And like I said, this was my first real  fandom experience, as I would come to know it. The first fanfic I ever read was a Logan/Veronica fic, the first time I found TWOP (which would one day lead me here!) was when I was looking for people to talk VMars with,  it was the first show I owned on DVD, the first show I bought merchandise for, I donated to the movie kickstarter and was there on opening day, it showed me that you could truly love and be passionate about something like this, and it was alright, and you could find a community that loved what you loved. So I admit that I am a bit nervous about this, I am thrilled to be back in Neptune, but I REALLY dont want this to retroactively hurt the story that I loved, and take Veronica's hard earned happy ending from her totally. I dont mind if we have more struggles, or a bittersweet endings like at the end of season three, but I hope I wont end this wishing this season never happened. 

Anyway, enough of that, I really dont care for the new version of the song, its weird and down beat and I dont like it. The look of the credits is good, but the version itself is just boring.

The story itself has promise, the mad bomber mixed with good old Neptune class strife (with Big Dick back again!) in the in the pot as well. Of course it turns out that one victim was the fiance of a super rich and politically connected family, and another one has family connections with the Mexican mob! Of course, because Neptune, the bombing wont have anything to do with any of them and their backstories, its just that everyone, even passers by, around there have wild secrets and backstories. 

Damn, Veronica saying no to Logan's proposal seemed pretty cold. Even if she isn't into marriage (which is her prerogative) maybe dont just awkwardly say no no no then run away. Of course Veronica has never been a great communicator, so its not exactly out of character, but come on lady! I admit I still love Logan/Veronica, despite their many, MANY issues and baggage. They were my first major ship, you never forget your first love!

Wallace! I was worried he wouldn't be around,m but he shows up, with an awesome wife cute kid, and looking NIIIICE!

Oh Keith.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't recognize Dohring at all. For a while I thought they had replaced the actor. Then I heard his vocal mannerisms and squinted and figured out it was him. I watched all the seasons and the movie but he looked so facially different. But I'm willing to chalk up the differences to what I call the "Neville Longbottom/Matthew Lewis" effect. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/21/2019 at 6:57 AM, Affogato said:

Dohring seems to be an gentleman organic farmer with bee hives and chickens. He has also made comments to the effect that he hasn’t had a piece of candy in years. And he has time for an avocation. i’m willing to believe that it is natural. 

Pretty sure he can't take steroids in his "religion".  I think it's natural. 

19 hours ago, whiporee said:

Between "cuss" and "Holy mortherforking shirtballs,' one has to wonder whether KB just sits around throwing F-bombs at people just because she can. 

I also have to admit that I found our little Veronica's talking about hand jobs and cumming first a little disquieting. If someone takes that and dubs it over Anna in Frozen 2, Disney is going to be pissed.  

I mean, season 1 had her talking about rim jobs, so it's nothing new. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I really hope that Veronica not wanting to get married is a "fix it" thing. In the originally written/DVD version of the pilot, Veronica's very first lines are, "I'm never getting married.."

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, Whimsy said:

Just to get this out of the way early - I hate the theme song. Hate it. I don’t like Chrissy Hynde (or whatever her name is) and just think that version is all wrong. 

Yes! I wanted to hear the original so badly. 

That said, I loved this episode, particularly from about halfway through. It was like returning to a world I used to live in. 

Cliff was wonderful! I had a giant smile on my face for his whole segment. Hilarious! "When I don't know what to do next, I sue someone.", (Paraphrasing) 

I have a feeling of dread and sadness for Keith. He's falling behind, falling apart. As a Canadian I gasped at the idea that a CAT scan, free here, could cost, $2,000 for someone WITH INSURANCE! 

I'm not crazy about the cartel stuff and really hope it doesn't get too gruesome. 

I absolutely loved Kirby in the Good Place and love her here. She should be in every TV show. 

Excited to continue my binge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/21/2019 at 12:58 AM, kieyra said:

Briefly, teen Logan didn’t look completely jacked on steroids. (Which is, along with some thinning of his face with age, what’s making his head look too small for his body.)

I noticed in season one that Jason has a small head compared to so many actors. Typically, TV actors have rather large heads and smaller shoulders. It just looks better. Hence the whole "lollipop head" thing for actresses. 

The more muscular Jason gets, the more pronounced this is, and the more disproportionate he looks. But that's on camera. I suspect if we saw him IRL we'd think he looked amazing. (Or not. Just speculating.) 

I felt very sad for him when Veronica rejected his proposal. But it's not like he couldn't have seen that coming. 

It may be an UO but I'm very happy with the whole cuss thing. Lately, I keep turning off shows after hearing the F word 18 times in 14 sentences, used as a verb, noun adjective, adverb you name it. I find it offensive and tedious. 

Can someone please remind who Corny was in the original series? 

Edited by Melina22
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I have a feeling of dread and sadness for Keith. He's falling behind, falling apart. As a Canadian I gasped at the idea that a CAT scan, free here, could cost, $2,000 for someone WITH INSURANCE! 

Oh jeez, I hope not because I just found out today that I have to have one. Yeah, I feel for Keith too. I understand it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am trying to savor this season and resisting the urge to binge.  A few comments: yes, Logan does have that stark face look that often comes with having no body fat.  I think Courtney Cox had this too in CougarTown.  But the scene between them was pretty racy (enough that I had to quickly shut the tv when my little wandered down after bedtime).  In general, I've always been a Logan fan mostly due to his wit- though I have to handwave all his psychotic jackassery (remember the Bum Fights and episode one where he pretty much threatened Veronica). 

As for "Big Dick", I can see a town like Neptune just handwaving his jailtime while still holding fast to the class distinctions for Veronica/Keith.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/21/2019 at 3:12 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It was definitely Corny because I heard Keith call him by his name during his PT session. I'm surprised that Corny made it through PT school. He didn't seem the most studious guy back in high school.

I totally missed this. I'm not sure if I like it, because I found that whole sequence incredibly sad, while Corny usually brought a lighter tone with him. Corny aside though, I liked the element of exploring Keith's health problems. This grind of the indifference of poor care, the struggle and pain of trying to recuperate from an injury. And the indignity of getting older. It was kind of dark, but seemed fitting in tone to what the series aims for, etc.

I was very happy to be back with Veronica and the rest of Neptune with this ep. It wasn't mind blowing for me, but very pleased to catch up with some of my favorite characters. Not so sure about the cartel folks, but willing to find out where it goes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't need them to say the f-word, but I thought the whole thing with saying "cuss" all the time was the kind of thing that could have been cut entirely. Just drop the "bet" or make it one they could actually do something with. That's what editing is for.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

don't need them to say the f-word, but I thought the whole thing with saying "cuss" all the time was the kind of thing that could have been cut entirely.

So far I seem to be the only one who finds it funny. I love all the running jokes between the two of them and this is just one more. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

So far I seem to be the only one who finds it funny. I love all the running jokes between the two of them and this is just one more. 

You're not the only one. I thought it was funny.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't think it was, like, hilarious, but it was cute and didn't bother me. It feels like something Keith and Veronica would do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size