Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Spring Break Forever

• Start Topic

Veronica Mars was my first entry into fandom, in part due to Veronica and Logan as a couple. They just clicked: 2 damaged kids who found love amid all the garbage. Yes, their relationship started off as toxic but it steadily improved, largely due to Logan. He wrestled with his personal demons in the first 2 seasons but his desire to be better, quick wit and huge capacity for love kept drawing her back in. For Veronica, he was someone who understands and loves her for who she is. They're like magnets. I want to see these 2 crazy kids work it out! But I'll admit, I'm worried about that this time around. I don't think Rob Thomas has known what to do with Logan since they stopped making him the villain.

• Love 6

Add me to the list who hated the theme song change. I queued this up all hyped to hear it, and then what?!? That dreary remake? Oh no. And I like Chrissy Hines, but no. Just no. I had the cd from the tv show a million years ago, but I feel like downloading the original just to hear it.

I must be in the minority, but I think Jason Dohring looks great. And I will always love LoVe. And Keith. And Wallace. And the rest of the Oh Niners.......

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I must be in the minority, but I think Jason Dohring looks great. And I will always love LoVe. And Keith. And Wallace. And the rest of the Oh Niners.......

I think JD looks great too. Not sure what everyone else is seeing lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I'm so excited to be diving into this! I had a huge project I couldn't afford the distractions from, and couldn't watch earlier and it was driving me crazy!

I liked the pilot. It gave me good reason to believe that this season will have a strong mystery arc and tight writing. There was a lot of exposition to get out of the way, even so, I found myself surprised when the hour was over.

Loved seeing Alanna Ubach! She's such a versatile actress that she pops up in random places all the time, and I'm always delighted. 😊

• Love 1

They might have overdone it just a bit, but i liked it. It really makes for a nice running theme w/ Veronica/Kristen. They adopted frak from Battlestar Galactica(along w/ a slew of other BSG references)and used it throughout season 3, Kristen is forced to say fork as a running gag on The Good Place, so it just fits to me. I might have liked it more of they had just gone ahead and used one of those substitutes. Implying that Veronica and Keith watch The Good Place, starring Kristen Bell, would be the most meta joke ever.

• Love 2

As excited as I was about the new season, it took a while for me to start watching it and I’m not binging. Part of me wanted to leave the series in my memories.

I will probably always love Logan, but the way they tried to make him look sexy in the movie and now, just doesn’t work for me. For me though, it wouldn’t be Veronica Mars without him.

I had forgotten though how Veronica treats him like crap, which I’m sad to see coming from my all time favourite character. 

I do like the new police chief and the bar owner and was happy to see that Wallace grew up into a fine man with good life and an adorable son. Glad we’ll see him in more episodes.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, possibilities said:

I was glad to see Wallace. Something I read made me think he wasn't going to be back, so I'm happy that wasn't true.

I don't like Keith keeping his medical situation a secret from Veronica.

I know I'm the only one who feels this way, but I think Dohring looks grotesque-- did he have his face filed down to look like a robot triangle, instead of a human visage? I'm not a fan of him and Veronica together, and every scene he's in or where their relationship is references makes me sick. Move the hell on, show! If you need angst, at least make it interesting and not so repetitive. It's like Veronica has regressed. And Dohring still needs to get the marbles out of his mouth and learn to speak intelligibly.

I also think the "no f word" storyline is stupid.

But I still liked the episode overall. It has the right tone and I'm interested in the investigations.

I agree the new theme song is a fail. It just sounds to me like slow motion, no energy. Like someone fell asleep leaning on a vinyl record, causing it to spin too slow. Boring. No tension, no energy, no excitement. Just draining.

I thought a 30 year old Weevil was going to jump out of the trunk. Glad it wasn't him, but hoping to see him soon.

I thought Dohring's face was weird - and wasn't sure it was him. I stopped watching iZombie a few seasons ago - but after he was on - and don't remember his face as being so very narrow. But I very much approved of his risen from the sea look.

I, too, though Weevil would be coming out of that trunk. Glad it wasn't, all things considered.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, Melina22 said:

So far I seem to be the only one who finds it funny. I love all the running jokes between the two of them and this is just one more. 

I'm a potty mouth from a long line of potty mouths (and raised two of my own potty mouths), so I found it kind of amusing and refreshing.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:13 PM, Desperado said:

I will probably always love Logan, but the way they tried to make him look sexy in the movie and now, just doesn’t work for me. For me though, it wouldn’t be Veronica Mars without him.

I had forgotten though how Veronica treats him like crap, which I’m sad to see coming from my all time favourite character.

LoVe is one of my all-time treasured ships, but I somehow never thought of Logan as all that sexy? To Veronica, sure, but not to me. I wouldn't fantasy about old Logan or this Logan, but dudes, I really love him with Veronica.

• Love 3

I am not a fan of the LoVe reconnection.  I never thought that was a healthy relationship, and I'd prefer them to both be in normal healthy relationships at this point in life.  That being said, damn, they have chemistry! 

I like the "cuss" bet, because it seems really natural to the characters.  My only quibble is that I keep expecting Eleanor, oops, I mean Veronica, to say Fork. 

And, I'm sorry, I don't buy the "we had to make it PG-13".  Nothing about that "hey blue shorts" conversation was PG-13. 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:15 AM, kieyra said:

I was a 'day one' VM watcher and I always disliked both the character of Logan, and Dohring as an actor.

I never watched Veronica Mars but when I saw the *season 4 after all these years*, I wanted to watch - because of Rico, mostly - and I am right there with you. Don't like the character before and after, and I agree with Possibilities that he looks strange.

As for the actor I think he is weak. Then I checked him out and found out he is a scientologist, which makes me go Ugh every time I see him on screen.

• Love 2

Guys, I love this show. Like really love it. Forgot how much I adore it until I binged the first three seasons and movie again over the last month or so in anticipation of the new season.

That said, I'm nervous. I'm a long-time passenger on the LoVe ship... if they take back the happy ending for these two, I will be enraged.

Despite that, I'm so excited to have this show back. No Weevil or Dick (Jr) yet, but I can't wait to see them. The mystery seems promising, Veronica and her dad still have their banter (although I, like many of you I see, could do with the "cussing" thing- it's distracting and too much of a Good Place reference), as do Veronica and Logan. I loved their beach reunion- and the reunion right afterwards! Thank God for lighter censors! 

Do we really think Veronica and all of her spy instincts wouldn't have figured out where Logan travels to though? She can't leave anything unsolved, although I guess prying into military secrets crosses a line? I dunno.

Two complaints: Hate the new theme- like so much. I'd have rather they reused the season 3 theme if they really didn't want to go back to the original (but the original is best).

And also, Veronica always had such a cute/punk rock style back in the day, and I really didn't care for how they dressed her in the movie or in this first episode. It was especially jarring when she was in conservative pajamas while Logan was walking around shirtless, and even moreso when she walked out onto a beach full of half naked spring breakers wearing pants and a jacket. I thought she must have been sweltering with all those clothes on. Distracting.

• Love 2

So the ring was just floating around loose in a pocket of the duffle bag?

It also took me a minute to really recognize JD, his face definitely got thinner.

Mystery looks good, but you have to wonder/worry for who's going to get whacked by the Mexican mob that's actually innocent.

Keith's PT reminds me a bit of mine.  3-4 people doing their exercises alone while being monitored by one person, who spends most of the time entering data into the computer.  But that's what insurance pays for, and high co-pays too.

I tried to watch this but (a) too much gratuitous language, and (b) why the hell is Veronica back in Neptune, which has now become Potterville on steroids?  I prefer the memory of the near-perfect season 1.  Every step since then, IMO, has been worse.

Finally got the DVDs and I'm unspoiled.  Here we go:

• Could give two shits about the new version of the song - the original wasn't that great to begin with and the hokey James Bond-ish visuals are cheesy at best
  • More bullshit Logan fanservice.  They showed them banging.  Are you shippers happy now? Jeebus.
  • Veronica is devolving.  Wow.  Sensing some deep-seated regret/anger issues.
  • Poor Keith.
  • The story is interesting - I like the character of the hotel owner's daughter.

I watched this, very fast, when it came out. Haven't watched it since then. Now may drop Hulu, so watching it again. I'm liking it so far and maybe finding it more rewatchable than any other Veronica Mars shows. Go figure.

This time around I liked the song and the credits around it. I wasn't thinking about the original when it came on. Now will watch the credits for the rest of the episodes. I probably just let go of preconceived expectations. It seems less nostalgic than the original, but more fatalistic. In the credits Keith is partway between drowning and deified (halo) and Logan is shadowed and a little blurry. Hmmm.

Love "Dahmer loves Snausages".  Dahmer's a sweetheart. The video they watch is reminiscent of the footage of Logan and Carrie in the kitchen as seen in the movie. I think that draws some sort of parallel. Vinny and Veronica? Or just Veronica is still doing the same thing with 09ers in their blandly but expensive decorated houses? Maybe a bit of both.  This is our introduction to Veronica at this time and Veronica is certainly an asshole.

Veronica is so out of place, in her sweater and jacket and pants and boots, around the spring break crowd. There is something about the lighting of the scene that seems odd for the way the scene is sold, as a surprising, happy event. Her banter with the women, and the banter with Logan, seems forced. She has such a sad look when Logan is hugging her to him and picking her up in the apartment, then she leans into his shoulder as he carries her to the bedroom. The words of the song behind them during the scene are in part "When the memory leaves you somewhere you can't make it home."