Type keyword(s) to search

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

• Start Topic

(edited)

I've been over Tom Cruise for awhile now, but damn if this didn't bring the nostalgia. Flashback to slumber parties where we would rewind the VHS over and over for the volleyball scene. I'm in.

Edited by calliope1975
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

I definitely thought it was ridiculous when they announced plans for this, and yet I definitely will be going to see it. The music in the trailer straight up gave me chills.

This is exactly how I felt.

1 Year Ago - Tom posts a picture indicating filming is going to start: "Oh goody, another unecessary continuation/remake"

Today - Tom introduces a whole damn trailer at Comic-Con: "Uhhhh, how long do I have to wait to see this?"

Dammit, Tom. You've suckered me! There's still a good chance this will be a ridiculous movie, but the trailer is impressive! I wish Tom had convinced Doug Liman to direct this, but I get why that would be a tougher sell. To be fair to Joe Kosinski, his only dud was the one film he did with Cruse Oblivion. Tron: Legacy and Only the Brave were both great films!

I know Val is supposed to appear, but I am truly hoping we get cameos from Tom Skerrit, Michael Ironside, and James Tolkan. I figure Meg Ryan will be there since her son is present. I doubt Kelly McGillis shows up.

• Love 3

Dang that was good. No matter what you think about Tom Cruise I always feel like he tries to insure a good product. So I definitely want to see this. 

For his signature role I think he will insist on a decent product. 

• Love 5

Do they have fighter pilots over 50?

Would they even have the female cast members back on?

Or they're going to set him up with someone 25 years younger as the love interest?

• Love 3

I don’t know how I feel about this. It looks good but I have a negative reaction every time I see Tom Cruise. I don’t think I’ve watched a movie with him in it since the couch jumping. 

29 minutes ago, scrb said:

Yes. There was a 66 year old fighter pilot who retired last year. 

36 minutes ago, scrb said:

Or they're going to set him up with someone 25 years younger as the love interest?

In Hollywood the men get older and their love interests usually stay the same age. 

7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Jennifer Connelly is the top-billed female. She age-appropriate, but who knows if there's even going to be a love interest?

Either of those options would be a refreshing change. 

Top Gun is my favorite movie ever.

I saw it 10 times in the movie theater.  I was 10 years old when it came out.  It was the first time I ever saw french kissing on screen.  I told my mom if a man ever stuck his tongue in my mouth I'd bite it off.

Times have changed.

I flipped out like a fangirl when I saw this today.  I will definitely be going.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

The original movie was part of my youth. I remember going to it on a first date with a guy that was a sweet part of my teen years. However, since then I’ve learned about Scientology and I can’t watch Cruise without thinking about the fact that he’s a top dog in that cult and is aware of the horrors that go on yet still lives the high life and grins like a crazy man through interviews. Nope. Can’t watch him. The music definitely has a nostalgic pull but I'm just going to stick with the memories from a movie I loved when I was young and innocent. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, scrb said:

Would they even have the female cast members back on?

I can answer those:

No, but Cruise can't accept the fact he's growing old.

Not a chance, unless they're playing the love interest's mother.

At least twenty five years younger. Possibly thirty.

Honestly, for a follow up to Top Gun over thirty years later, all moviemaking logic stipulates that it should be about the son of Maverick, following a similar path to his father but finding redemption and reuniting his family.

• Love 4

Nostalgia factor among people in their mid 40s and older seems pretty powerful factor in popular culture.

Thats why you have all these movie reboots and people happily dole out hundreds of dollars to see musicians in their sixties and seventies on tour.

I can understand the fondness for shows, movies and music we associate with our coming of age but no reason not to have some critical standards.

Artists who were on the rise decades ago were driven, more hungry.  Now they’re trading on name and nostalgia.

Now their fans have more money but are much more lenient because of. nostalgia 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Dammit, Tom. You've suckered me! There's still a good chance this will be a ridiculous movie, but the trailer is impressive!

SAME! I think the only movie of his I've seen post-couch jumping on Oprah was his HILARIOUS turn as that overweight, balding, sleazeball in Tropic Thunder. But dammit, that trailer got me. Plus, it seems his commanding officer is Catheter Cowboy*!

14 hours ago, scrb said:

14 hours ago, Dani said:

Yes. There was a 66 year old fighter pilot who retired last year. 

6 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

No, but Cruise can't accept the fact he's growing old.

See Dani's reply above, that yes, there are fighter pilots over 50. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, scrb said:

Nostalgia factor among people in their mid 40s and older seems pretty powerful factor in popular culture.

Thats why you have all these movie reboots and people happily dole out hundreds of dollars to see musicians in their sixties and seventies on tour.

I can understand the fondness for shows, movies and music we associate with our coming of age but no reason not to have some critical standards.

Artists who were on the rise decades ago were driven, more hungry.  Now they’re trading on name and nostalgia.

Now their fans have more money but are much more lenient because of. nostalgia 

Speaking for myself, that's not true. I actually am not a fan of all these reboots/remakes. But this movie isn't a reboot or a remake. It's a sequel. And as I loved the original, and I think I read that the character of Harmon Rabb, Junior from JAG (played by David James Elliott) was probably based on Maverick, the fighter pilot aspect, and the rest from A Few Good Men, I want to see what this movie has to offer.

20 things you never knew of Top Gun

Let me say that I was shocked that Scott Baio was ever considered the Maverick role. Had he starred in this movie and not do the Charles in Charge series, this movie would not have been greenlighted for a sequel. Trust me, I seen some of his films like Foxes and Bugsy Malone. He was never a good actor. All the other actors in those films outshines Baio's acting. What makes it work for Tom was that he is able to be equal to other characters and have chemistry with them. With Baio, I don't think you would see that. I could have imagined the negative reviews coming had Baio been in it. It would have been just Chachi playing a pilot. The funny thing he regretted turning the role, but this would have been a stain on both actors' career. Tom just made it happen.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Let me say that I was shocked that Scott Baio was ever considered the Maverick role. Had he starred in this movie and not do the Charles in Charge series, this movie would not have been greenlighted for a sequel. 

You have not Scott Baio's "winner" movie - Zapped. 

I won't be checking out the sequel to Top Gun as I cannot stand Cruise and the whole Scientology thing. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, greekmom said:

You have not Scott Baio's "winner" movie - Zapped. 

I won't be checking out the sequel to Top Gun as I cannot stand Cruise and the whole Scientology thing. 

I believe I saw Zapped! a long time ago on HBO. So I do remember that.

17 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

This is exactly how I felt.

1 Year Ago - Tom posts a picture indicating filming is going to start: "Oh goody, another unecessary continuation/remake"

Today - Tom introduces a whole damn trailer at Comic-Con: "Uhhhh, how long do I have to wait to see this?"

It opens tonight, right?!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, BooBear said:

Dang that was good. No matter what you think about Tom Cruise I always feel like he tries to insure a good product. So I definitely want to see this. 

For his signature role I think he will insist on a decent product. 

That's why I can put aside my feelings about his personal life--when he accepts a role, he totally commits to it. 

I loved this movie as a kid and wasn't sure about this one.  Maybe nostalgia would have sucked me in, but after that trailer?  I want to see it for the flying sequences alone!  The photography looks amazing. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved this movie as a kid and wasn't sure about this one.  Maybe nostalgia would have sucked me in, but after that trailer?  I want to see it for the flying sequences alone!  The photography looks amazing. 

I'm kind of bummed I'm not excited by that trailer like most of you are.  (I watched it again after reading the thread, thinking Jeez, what did I miss? and whatever it is I'm still missing it.)  While not normally my type of film, I've seen Top Gun umpteen times - in fact, it was just on TV again two nights ago and, as always, I left it on in the background and made sure to be in the room for certain scenes. 

Hearing about a sequel made me think eh, whatever.  Watching the trailer made me think: eh, whatever.  I have no idea what it's about, other than Maverick flying around, so simply hearing the familiar score isn't enough to entice me.  Maybe as more comes out, we'll see.  But at this point, it's something I'd watch out of curiosity when it makes its way to TV. 

• Love 4

I liked the first one, but this doesn't really do much for me.  Plausibility aside, 33 years and he's still a captain?  That's just kind of depressing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I feel like I can't decide if this trailer is bad-ass or depressing. Like most of you, Top Gun was a fixture in my youth and I'll always have a soft spot for Maverick and Co. However, there's something kind of sad about a guy spinning his wheels for 30+ years and not advancing. I wonder how they're going to explain that? 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

I remember enjoying this when it first came out. I even saw it with my dad (we didn't hang much then) but watching the new trailer, I had to stop and remind myself that this was a sequel and not a remake because so many of the scenes are the same. I hope for the sake of those who go see it (I'm undecided at the moment) that it's a new story and not the same story beats updated.

• Love 1

I was obsessed with this movie as a teenager. Every time I went to sleep over at my friend's house we would watch it. My love of Top Gun even made me watch Pensacola Wings of Gold for the flying and because it reminded me of Top Gun. I'm so excited for this movie, it's crazy. 

• Love 1

I really liked Top Gun when I was a kid.  I watched it a few years ago and thought it didn't really hold up that well.  But maybe its one of those things that it was just such a big deal that it can't live up to memory.

My reaction to the trailer was that it was pathetic and sad.  I guess I somehow got it in my head that Maverick would have taken over Top Gun as an instructor.  The idea that he's basically stagnated and can't get promoted and won't retire and is reliving all the iconic moments from his youth is just depressing. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3
On 8/1/2019 at 7:22 PM, ParadoxLost said:

The idea that he's basically stagnated and can't get promoted and won't retire and is reliving all the iconic moments from his youth is just depressing.

His plane retired before he did.

• LOL 2
On 8/1/2019 at 10:22 PM, ParadoxLost said:

My reaction to the trailer was that it was pathetic and sad.  I guess I somehow got it in my head that Maverick would have taken over Top Gun as an instructor.  The idea that he's basically stagnated and can't get promoted and won't retire and is reliving all the iconic moments from his youth is just depressing

Same plus I just kept thinking he'd never qualify or be allowed to actually be a fighter pilot at his age.  They'd have him behind a desk because a 50+ year does not have the vision, health, reflexes required for combat. 

Not to mention, this just highlights what an arrogant, selfish asshole Maverick always was. He's still putting himself ahead of everything and everyone, instead of serving his country where he's best suited still wants the glory shit.

My other thought was is this even still a thing? I mean we're living in the world of Drone Warfare but, Top Gun is still a thing?

Of course this was a 2 minute trailer and who knows what the is really about but, I have no interest in watching that's for sure.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

My other thought was is this even still a thing? I mean we're living in the world of Drone Warfare but, Top Gun is still a thing?

Drones will probably be this movies' version of Iceman.  Maverick will prove that he can out fly the machine.

Other things that I thought about during the trailer.

"only man to shoot down three enemy fighters in the last forty years"  what about that makes him better than other pilots?  If that's the measure of the skills of pilots in the military,  Maverick hasn't done anything notable since the last movie.

I too am thirty four years older than I used to be, but I still thought (because he annoys me) that Cruise must be thrilled to have the natural face lifting effect of riding a motorcycle without a helmet..

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Of course this was a 2 minute trailer and who knows what the is really about but, I have no interest in watching that's for sure.

Its possible that they just crammed every nod to the original into the trailer and its not what the trailer makes it seem to be.  But wow, the trailer is making it seem like a desperate attempt by Cruise to reclaim his youth by remaking the film that catapulted him to the top of the A list.

There is probably an interesting movie in Maverick having to transition to another life and letting the next generation (or technology) do the job.  I just don't get the feeling they are making that movie.

They probably should have done this movie ten years ago when Goose's kid was in his mid twenties instead of his mid thirties.  But since Maverick is still mentoring Goose's son,, everyone will likely act like they are ten years younger than they are.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:36 AM, ParadoxLost said:

Drones will probably be this movies' version of Iceman.  Maverick will prove that he can out fly the machine.

Other things that I thought about during the trailer.

"only man to shoot down three enemy fighters in the last forty years"  what about that makes him better than other pilots?  If that's the measure of the skills of pilots in the military,  Maverick hasn't done anything notable since the last movie.

I

In fighter pilot lingo, since the First World War yes it does. Maverick is what they all hope to be, the top of the pyramid in The Right Stuff speak. But given the lack or aerial combat and targets  there will probably never be an actual ace ( 5 aircraft shot down) again.

As to Captain Mitchell's probable accomplishments he probably went as far as an active flight status Naval Aviator is able to the commander of an air wing.And maybe a tour in the job of Viper, the commander of the Fighter Weapons School The only thing left is the Captain of an aircraft carrier.

I think that Maverick's TV son Harm Rabb of JAG is also among that club of mutiple aerial victory F-14 pilots who has been a Captain for 15 years before showing up as the executive officer, second in command, of an aircraft carrier on NCIS:LA

43 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Another trailer:

It's still doing nothing for me, other than a little fun spotting the nods to the first film.  (And getting exercise rolling my eyes that this time the motorcycle shot looks like he has his daughter wrapped around him.)

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's still doing nothing for me, other than a little fun spotting the nods to the first film.  (And getting exercise rolling my eyes that this time the motorcycle shot looks like he has his daughter wrapped around him.)

Hey, at least Jennifer Connelly is closer to his own age!

I like that to show Miles Teller is Goose(Anthony Edwards)' son is he also has a mustache!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Hey, at least Jennifer Connelly is closer to his own age!

I didn't even realize that's who that is; she looked younger to me, and I figured they were going down the usual road of a nearly 50-year-old guy with woman barely pushing 30.  Okay, good, there's not much of an age difference between Maverick and his love interest, then (assuming the characters are the same general ages as the actors).

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't even realize that's who that is; she looked younger to me, and I figured they were going down the usual road of a nearly 50-year-old guy with woman barely pushing 30.  Okay, good, there's not much of an age difference between Maverick and his love interest, then (assuming the characters are the same general ages as the actors).

It is a weird pose for a 49 year old woman to make I grant you that. That part's probably the point after they fall in loooooove.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's still doing nothing for me, other than a little fun spotting the nods to the first film. 

I thought the trailer was a vast improvement over the first one.   I've moved from skipping it entirely to probably watching it once it make its way to a TV/streaming service.

It still has a smell to it.  It reeks of

- Someone having no impulse control with the advances in movie making technology when planning out the flying sequences.  

- Both Cruise and Maverik having a hard time adjusting to the idea that a 57 year old doesn't behave the same way as a 24 year old.

• Love 1

Speculation time. I would bet that in the first trailer when Maverick is low over the desert and pulls hard vertical that he again broke the hard deck. Only now since he is the Captain getting a mission ready the lesson to his students he blew through was "there are no rules in combat"

On 12/16/2019 at 12:51 PM, Just Here said:

A full view of Maverick's hangar (1:40 mark):

2019-12-16_12-37-39.thumb.png.d268640028ced22770c0bc41b82f6314.png

That's Tom Cruise's personal P-51 Mustang. A classic from WWII. If I were a billionaire, I'd buy one too.

The motorcycle scene really annoys me. When you are in your twenties/thirties riding without a helmet can seem kind of cool, as stupid as it may be. But by the time you reach forty plus, most people realize that they are mortal.

6 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That's Tom Cruise's personal P-51 Mustang. A classic from WWII. If I were a billionaire, I'd buy one too.

The motorcycle scene really annoys me. When you are in your twenties/thirties riding without a helmet can seem kind of cool, as stupid as it may be. But by the time you reach forty plus, most people realize that they are mortal.

I remember that our commanding General at Fort Riley ordered the wearing of helmets and reflective vest. On or off base. In uniform or civilian clothes. Now Kansas has a children's helmet law. Back when the original Top Gun came out we were saying that the Navy Admirals probably had similar orders while Maverick was breaking California's law.