Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E03: Whacktivity Competition #1; Nominations #1

Message added by Lady Calypso

Quick reminder to keep any live feeds spoilers out of all episode threads. That includes any hints or about things going on outside of the episode threads. Thanks! 

• Start Topic

As last season I'll be commenting on Moonbeam's outfits.  Episode one the little pink number was cute and flattering.  A little youthful for a 40 something lady but..ok.

Then we have the flowered something that you can easily purchase out of any Penny's' Catalog.

I believe the budget has gone way down since Mr. Moonbeam is no longer running the show.

I also noticed Julie introduces herself as Julie Chen Moonbeam but the credits show Julie Chen so there's that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Damn, I would have hated that challenge if I had to participate. I have a sensitive nose so I don't think I could do that challenge. I'd definitely lose.

So, Ovi wins the power. I like the potential in the power more than I thought. 

Kathryn is annoying. Kathryn can go.

I do love Cliff. I wanted him to win the power.

Some things were definitely established in this episode. That alliance of eight is going to fail so, so hard, isn't it? Do large alliances ever make it far? I am more intrigued to seeing the little factions within the Eight. 

• Love 4

Kat talks herself on the block, she can go any time.  And of course the old guy gets nominated, too. 

I liked his DR.  He has no real choice about being a "pawn" and knows it.

Self proclaimed "bitch" Kat is in the same spot.  Christie isn;t selling this well, but it doesn't really matter.

Gr8ful.  Ew gross!  Gag me with a fork.  Lovestruck Tommy's crush wants him in the gang, for now.

Ovi gets good intel and stupidly blabs to one of the 8.  He should have talked to to the top of the boot order he heard.

Whacktivity!  Hey Jessica!  Careful what you wish for!

1 out of 5 gets some power each week for 3 weeks.  Hmmmm.

The critters are cute!  This is hilarious!  I hate stinky stuff, but  I love when they torture the hamsters.

Production is really over doing the special effects this year.

So Ovi wins.  He can cancel one week;s noms? wow.  I missed the details.  Then the gang gaslights him with a phony alliance.  Ouch!  Did he spill that he won?

Christie is really bugging me.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Gr8ful.  Ew gross!  Gag me with a fork. 

The Hateful Eight would had been a much better choice. Almost clever, even.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Production is really over doing the special effects this year.

Whoever has their hand on the 'whack' sound effect is on that thing like a door to door salesman with epilepsy. Dude, chill!!

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Damn, I would have hated that challenge if I had to participate. I have a sensitive nose so I don't think I could do that challenge. I'd definitely lose.

Oh I am sooo with you on that one. Just watching them sniff all those piles of stuff was making me nauseous!! Worst BB comp evarrr. I mean I lived two flights up above a door and with my windows closed I could tell if someone was on the landing outside smoking... I would have definitely passed out, like Kat was saying/feeling.

Man there was a lot of foot in mouth disease going around tonight. Have we ever had some "form" an alliance when the other people were already in an alliance?

Also I refuse to type out the eight alliance's "name" not gunna do it... but who knows maybe by next week it will be the Enligh10'd alliance. That thing is growing like the blob, consuming more people every day!

I also think I have contracted some kind of communicable disease just watching the promos for Love Island. Gads.

Edited by Wandering Snark
I am the master of the typo ;-)
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, IndyMischa said:

How the f do four people from an eight person alliance land on the same comp??! (That was rhetorical; it's because they're stupid.)

Agreed. They have a numeral in their name but can't do basic math. Get an EVEN amount of people signed up for EACH comp. Duh.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Agreed. They have a numeral in their name but can't do basic math. Get an EVEN amount of people signed up for EACH comp. Duh.

Maybe they wanted to pack one comp to increase the odds of the alliance getting the power that week. 

I'm Gr8ful that these big early-season alliances rarely last for very long.  I know I should be anticip8ing the alliance continuing to prosper (as the four women in it are my four pics for the Fantasy Game), but honestly I can't w8 for it to disintegr8.

(If you feel the need to retali8, I understand.)

Christy was stupid to try to snow Kat like that.  It's not as if Kat and Cliff are never going to talk and realize that you're lying to one of them, and perhaps be able to use that to damage you in the house.  Just nominate her and talk to her later on.

I miss the Wheel of Keys so very much.  And "Who wants to see my HoH room?"  Sigh.

It's good that Ovi has an five-person alliance that's roughly 80% solid.  It's his bad luck that number means the other four are already allied, and he doesn't know it.

I can just imagine being the PA who has to take care of the bobcat, the fox, and the coyote, waiting to collect enough samples from each of them.  Probably some unlucky unpaid intern, at that.

If they're going to have Cliff making those "hog" puns in the DR, they might want to tell us at some point that his name is "Cliff Hogg III".  Otherwise, it's just not kosher.

I don't know why neither Cliff nor Kat tried to talk Christy out of nominating them by hinting that they might have the power.  Or if they did, I don't know why the editors didn't show that.

So if there are only three Whacktivity comps, does this mean we can pencil in the traditional early-season endurance HoH for Week 4?  With Julie telling us to tune in on Sunday to see the result?  I can take this once or twice; I just hope they don't make a fetish of it as they have in recent seasons.

"FamFive" isn't exactly a gr8 alliance name, either.  (Or is that "Fam5"?  I didn't see the graphic.)

Seriously, how does someone know which animals' urine has a distinct enough smell to be used in the competition?  That's a skill set I wouldn't think to list on my application…

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I wouldn't have done well at that WhOmp because I'd be completely distracted by the cuteness of the raccoon, skunk, opossum, and porcupine. (Cliff rises in my estimation for having a pet skunk named Oreo.) Can we trade some of the HGs out for the forest critters, a la John Oliver's LWT Supreme Court?

• Love 10
(edited)

One other thing I just remembered... Jessica... this is the FIRST nomination and you're not even close to being nominated yourself or even having a 'friend' nominated either, but you're crying after the nominations? WTF? That doesn't speak well for your chances for the long run...

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I have watched this show from season 1 episode 1 and I think I have never missed an episode (thx, whoever invented the DVR!) I am not exaggerating when I say I think tonight’s show was the most boring one I’ve ever seen.  I know so often these Sunday shows are filler but it must have been a half hour just of that annoying smell completion.  Awful. There must be something else they could have shown. Didn’t Christie get an HOH basket?  Give me something

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Rbonnie said:

I have watched this show from season 1 episode 1 and I think I have never missed an episode (thx, whoever invented the DVR!) I am not exaggerating when I say I think tonight’s show was the most boring one I’ve ever seen.  I know so often these Sunday shows are filler but it must have been a half hour just of that annoying smell completion.  Awful. There must be something else they could have shown. Didn’t Christie get an HOH basket?  Give me something

Well, I haven't every single episode, but I have watched every season, and I'm having a hard time getting into this one. Maybe it's because they start so early now, BB never started until after July 4th in the early days. It's not really the start date, but by starting so early it seem like the show drags on forever by the end, when you really are just ready for it to be over.

Tonight's episode didn't really show anything new, just different people who think, after the game being on for a week, that they've got everything under control and know ( right now !) which  final 8 people they will be up against for the half  mil. Then the inevitable clever alliance name ! Jeez, they get dumber every year. And the "Oh, you are just a pawn !" nonsense. By the time all the tropes are trotted out, I want to punch a nun, I'm so tired of it ll.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this crap.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The first thing I thought during the competition (after, as others noted, aggravating myself by castigating the 8s for not spreading their competitors around) was that there was no way that California's employee-friendly labor laws would have allowed the show to make someone throw up, so the "vomit" sign would never get used. 

I was surprised that some, if not most, of the competitors smelled all 3 and then ran out. I would have been doing it one at a time. 

• Love 4
(edited)

So I got up super early and decided to eat my bacon and eggs watching last night's episode. Poor planning on my part, to put it mildly. Fried eggs and fox urine are a bad combo. 

What on earth was Kat's whole "I'm high" segment about? I'm assuming she was hyperventilating from sniffing too much. 

I was happy Ovi got the nightmare power, so he can guarantee his safety, but then I realized that if they decide to backdoor him, his power is useless. Am I right? (Not rhetorical.)

Edited by Melina22
  • LOL 2

It looks like the power has to be used after the nomination ceremony but before the POV.  But, who knows?  They can always expect-the-unexpected it and come up with whatever rules they want.

On another note, I don't really think durian is commonly found in American camp grounds.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I wouldn't have done well at that WhOmp because I'd be completely distracted by the cuteness of the raccoon, skunk, opossum, and porcupine.

But were they actually out there with all of them, because it looked like the wildlife shots were edited in to me.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure the skunk and 2 raccoons (trash pandas 😁😁) were there in cages. I'm assuming the animals didn't object to the gross smells. They probably made them hungry. 

1 hour ago, amazingracefan said:

But were they actually out there with all of them, because it looked like the wildlife shots were edited in to me.

Cliff was startled by and mentioned the skunk. So that was there.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Mystery said:

there was no way that California's employee-friendly labor laws would have allowed the show to make someone throw up, so the "vomit" sign would never get used. 

I worked 3 summers in a flavor factory and the company had a fragrance factory across the street.

There are chemical combinations which can match almost any natural fragrance/flavor.  Some were really bad.  The fish flavors were kept in a separate "stink room".  Coffee flavor smelled like dead skunk.  Meat flavors were disgusting.  I found a new career 🙂 

They didn't need the actual natural stuff to create the odors.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Fried eggs and fox urine are a bad combo. 

No wonder my restaurant failed!  Where were you when I needed you, Melina22?  Sheesh.

37 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Coffee flavor smelled like dead skunk.

So…par for the course, then.  Right?

(Sorry, "java junkies".  Coffee's never appealed to me.  The odor almost makes me ill.)

2 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

Did they explain why Jackson is now Miche/Micky?

Last episode, not this one.  Jackson's going by his surname of "Michie" to avoid confusion with Jack, who DR'ed that this was proof of his something-ness.  "I'm the most-jacked 'Jack' there is."  Okay, then.

Jackson's not the first HG to do this.  Bryan Ollie was known as "Ollie" throughout BB10 to avoid confusion with Brian "1000 alliances and still first out" Hart, although I think that may have been production-imposed.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I miss the Wheel of Keys so very much.  And "Who wants to see my HoH room?"  Sigh.

Same here.  The wheel provided an extra level of strategy...i.e., having an alliance member pull their key out last, or to make someone sweat, etc.  I will never understand why they took that away.  The two-key format is not that much of a time-saver. 

And yes, at LEAST give us the initial "HOH Room" segment so we can get a good look at the room!  I liked seeing the family photos and what kind of food they receive in their basket from home.  I could've done with about a minute less of the "Kathryn is high" segment for a look at the HOH room.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

I will never understand why they took [the Wheel of Keys] away.

Blame "Fan-Favorite" Battle of the Block;  with the Wheel, there was no way to tell which of the HsoH had nominated which HGs.  And then they got addicted to the Bluetooth reveals and decided that the Wheel was too clunky, anyway.

Which, you can make a new Wheel, guys.  And you could have everybody up on the Bluetooth and then make the pictures vanish as the Keys are pulled, eventually leaving only two pictures, which then go full-screen, staring the victims in their own faces, as it were.    Yes, it would take a little bit of technical skill, but I can't think it's too difficult. Sigh.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Not liking Christy...nope nope nope. Irked me how she thinks it's cute to use the word grateful while talking in a group with Ovi. That's mean girl shit right there. Her and 'taking souls' dude are my most unliked of a seemingly very unlikable cast. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I think the same thing every Nom Ceremony. BRING BACK THE WHEEL!!!

11 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Seriously, how does someone know which animals' urine has a distinct enough smell to be used in the competition?  That's a skill set I wouldn't think to list on my application…

. If I were a betting man, I would say that the smells they were smelling were NOT the actual items such as Coyote Urine, etc but most likely made up smells.  But that's just my skepticism shining through.

10 hours ago, Rbonnie said:

I agree, theses first three episodes have been so vanilla it almost makes me not want to watch the feeds at my desk every day.

Who am I kidding, the feeds are ALWAYS on in my office!!! 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lamima said:

Not liking Christy...nope nope nope. Irked me how she thinks it's cute to use the word grateful while talking in a group with Ovi. That's mean girl shit right there. 

Thank you! I don’t dislike Christie (yet) but that really bugged me too. Jack also piled on by saying something about being filled with gratitude. 🙄 It’s not their fault that Ovi came to them (without first finding out who was actually in the 8....duh) but they went out of their way to make him look extra stupid. He seems like a nice kid and he clearly isn’t working against them so was that really necessary?

I refuse to call Jackson “Michie” because it’s stupid and so is he.

• Love 11
(edited)
8 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I was happy Ovi got the nightmare power, so he can guarantee his safety, but then I realized that if they decide to backdoor him, his power is useless. Am I right? (Not rhetorical.)

You are totally right.  They said it had to be used the NIGHT of (i.e., the night right after) the nominations.  So way before both the veto competition and the veto power ceremony the latter of which may (or not) end with a replacement nomination.

They also said it saved BOTH nominees for the entire week, not just one.  And entire week means that they can't be backdoored either.

So it really doesn't make any sense to use it unless you are an original nominee because TWO people are safe so the number of available replacement nominees (and veto replacement people) really shrinks to dangerous levels.  Especially since the power can be used as late as the 6th nomination.

Or maybe a HOH could even use it since it is in secret and you just tell BB in the DR you want it activated that night.  So no one should know the HOH did it ... nor expect it ever.  Like at about that 6th week and you want to start turning on a stronger member of your own alliance you could make it look like an outlier on the block sabotaged your HOH and you are now forced by lack of numbers to put up one or two of your own.

No one else using it would ever make sense though since you aren't protected by the mere use of it.  Only if you were one of the original nominees that gets protection through it's use or already have protection as the HOH and you want to use it in some hidden, evil, back-stabbing plot scenario. 

I'd love the latter but then poor Ovi is only allied (he thinks) with people who are already allied in an alliance he is not part of, sigh.

8 hours ago, MrHufflepuff said:

On another note, I don't really think durian is commonly found in American camp grounds.

What is "durian?"  And should I really want to know?

Edited by green
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, green said:

What is "durian?"  And should I really want to know?

Durian is a fruit that's common in southeast Asia. Apparently, it smells godawful, and it's so strong, it's often banned in some public spaces. I've never smelled it, but some people say it's delicious. I don't know, I pulled this description from wikipedia:

"...pulp is the edible part, and its consistence and flavour are indescribable. A rich custard highly flavoured with almonds gives the best general idea of it, but there are occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream-cheese, onion-sauce, sherry-wine, and other incongruous dishes."

That's a no from me, dawg.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I agree with those who found this episode painfully boring. There isn't anything visually interesting about a sniffing contest, ya know? I also thought the "wildlife" was edited in. At no time were any of the players in the same shot as the animals. We saw them "react" to the skunk but the skunk was never in the same shot. Either it was caged or a stuffed skunk, with a live skunk edited in.

Also agree the "Nightmare Power" is largely useless unless Ovi is nominated outright. Nine times out of ten, the intended target is backdoored rather than nominated outright. 

It's good that Ovi has an five-person alliance that's roughly 80% solid.  It's his bad luck that number means the other four are already allied, and he doesn't know it.

Isn't he supposed to be a super fan of this show? You would think any player who is clearly cast as the season's designated "nerd" would know right off he's not in the main alliance of popular kids and try to put something together with the other outliers, like the old guy and the girl with the fuschia hair. Don't go straight to the alpha males and bikini models and expect to be part of their clique.  

I can just imagine being the PA who has to take care of the bobcat, the fox, and the coyote, waiting to collect enough samples from each of them.  Probably some unlucky unpaid intern, at that.

They make canned urine smells for hunting.

lol the announcer really went at his job with some gusto at the end of the episode.

BIG BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

He's been doing that for at least two seasons now. It drives me nuts. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think the BB announcer is upset that the super annoying narrator for Ancient Aliens gets much more attention these days.  Even the BB guy doesn't want to lose out to that stupid show.

But please don't copy his patter as in out of breath "astonishment and revelation" style: 

"IF Jackson is really a lego then does that mean he has super powers?  And IF so does that mean he is secretly an agent from Planet Legoland.  And does that mean Einstein was right that it is all "relative" and that Kat is an actual feline?"

Edited by green
  • LOL 1
18 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Isn't he supposed to be a super fan of this show? You would think any player who is clearly cast as the season's designated "nerd" would know right off he's not in the main alliance of popular kids and try to put something together with the other outliers, like the old guy and the girl with the fuschia hair. Don't go straight to the alpha males and bikini models and expect to be part of their clique.  

We know that Ovi is the token (male) nerd, but I'm not at all sure he knows that...

• LOL 5
11 minutes ago, green said:

So it really doesn't make any sense to use it unless you are an original nominee

Original noms are exactly - and only - whom the Power directly affects.

11 minutes ago, green said:

because TWO people are safe so the number of available replacement nominees (and veto replacement people) really shrinks to dangerous levels.  Especially since the power can be used as late as the 6th nomination.

The strength of this Power increases as the game progresses.  Week after week, the general trend of the game is to reveal alliances - so the farther the Power Holder gets into the game time-wise, the more likely they are to get put OTB opposite a (perceived or actual) ally.  If the PH and a true ally are original noms, then deploying the Power (a) guarantees both immunity for the coming week, and (b) depending upon the remaining pool of nom options, may even force the HoH to cannibalize one or more members of the HoH’s own alliance.

in other words: it’s not a bad Power - but yes, it is totally ineffectual against a renom/BD play.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I agree with those who found this episode painfully boring. There isn't anything visually interesting about a sniffing contest, ya know? I also thought the "wildlife" was edited in

The 'wildlife' was definitely edited in.

I've often said I'm not addicted to watching seasons of Big Brother. I watched last season because I thought it was interesting.

Not so with this season, so far. I agree with IMONREY. That was painfully boring. Just watched it, and as much as I usually hate taking naps, I wanna thank Big Brother for the 2 hours I just got after I watched the episode.

I'm not saying 'I'm OUT!' yet, but it better pick up.

3 hours ago, xKHANx said:

. If I were a betting man, I would say that the smells they were smelling were NOT the actual items such as Coyote Urine, etc but most likely made up smells.  But that's just my skepticism shining through.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. Just like those Beanboozled jellybeans that taste like vomit or sweat.

I also think the animals were edited in.

2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

It’s not their fault that Ovi came to them (without first finding out who was actually in the 8....duh) 

I would think Ovi would be smarter than that! And he also didn't notice that Jack was in the bed with Nick and Tommy while they were talking about their "8" alliance.

(edited)

The sad thing is I found the Whackadoodle Smellathon the best part because I spent the whole time trying to figure out what "durian" was.  (Thanks, ilovebeaarthur, for cluing me in).  So it stuck with me.

I already can't remember anything else about the episode except Ovi doing sadly dumb stuff.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Lamima said:

Not liking Christy...nope nope nope. Irked me how she thinks it's cute to use the word grateful while talking in a group with Ovi. That's mean girl shit right there. Her and 'taking souls' dude are my most unliked of a seemingly very unlikable cast. 

Agreed!  She comes from my area of the world, always a plus when rooting,  plus she seemed so friendly the first episode or two but then she showed a real nasty streak. Her little inside joke of are you thankful or are you grateful, I found that really annoying and really telling. Girl’s a sneaky bitch.  It was just a way to draw a circle around her cool people alliance and to make fun of the dupes who were unknowingly outside that circle.  So I'm done with her already, and I thought I world be rooting for her to go far.  Silly me, and my first impressions 

• Love 10

OK. Missed the first episode, saw the next two and realized:

The entire point of this season is the rehabilitation of Mrs. Julie Chen SerialHarrasserRapist and by extension, her husband, Mr. Julie Chen SerialHarrasserRapist. 

Everything's so WHOLESOME all of a sudden! No more over-the-top decadent glam themes -- instead, it's that most wholesome of American leisure activities, CAMPING! Not even glamping! And instead of crazy over-the-top costumes for the challenges, we have camp t-shirts and shorts! How sweet! How wholesome! How utterly un-Big Brother!

No more crazy racist or fascist-cult-forming contestants! No, just fun-loving wholesome all-American folks out for a summer of wholesome all-American fun! And oh, did we mention it's wholesome? Well, it is!

Welcome to G-rated Big Brother! Safe for the whole family (as long as your wives, sisters or daughters don't get too close to Mr. Julie Chen SerialHarasserRapist).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Rbonnie said:

Me too and I was sooo disappointed in last night's episode!  I had to ff through the sniff challenge!  That was bad.  Especially the closeups.  Omg!

I remember the see my hoh room,  watching one cookfish in foil, one eating English muffins and my favorite food was watching Rachael freeze grapes and drop them in her wine glass!

This season is trying too hard!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 3

There were definitely some animals there, in cages, and others were edited in. 

How fun would it be to use the new power to take down two people who are totally unrelated to you? Of course you'd be taking the chance that you get put up. But the two of them would look so duplicitous, especially if one was an "in" person who had agreed to be put up as a decoy. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Gummo said:

OK. Missed the first episode, saw the next two and realized:

The entire point of this season is the rehabilitation of Mrs. Julie Chen SerialHarrasserRapist and by extension, her husband, Mr. Julie Chen SerialHarrasserRapist. 

Everything's so WHOLESOME all of a sudden! No more over-the-top decadent glam themes -- instead, it's that most wholesome of American leisure activities, CAMPING! Not even glamping! And instead of crazy over-the-top costumes for the challenges, we have camp t-shirts and shorts! How sweet! How wholesome! How utterly un-Big Brother!

No more crazy racist or fascist-cult-forming contestants! No, just fun-loving wholesome all-American folks out for a summer of wholesome all-American fun! And oh, did we mention it's wholesome? Well, it is!

Welcome to G-rated Big Brother! Safe for the whole family (as long as your wives, sisters or daughters don't get too close to Mr. Julie Chen SerialHarasserRapist).

If it looks G-Rated so far it won't be for long.  There is only so much editors can do to make 20-something, preening, self-absorbed airheads full of themselves look wholesome.  Because this cast is the exact same cardboard cut-out type of cast they have always had on since Grodner took over.  So I don't see anything wholesome about them at all.  Just the same old same old.

Edited by green
  • Love 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Dislike everyone but Cliff & he won’t last long.

Just watching now, and of course I hate everyone already except the old guy and Ovi. 8 person alliance? Jeebus. 

...and Kemmi, I like her. But I haven’t finished this boring epi. 

Edited by JD5166
  • Love 2