Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Annymin said:

The cameramen must have loved giving us the parting shot of the back of Pedro carrying his wife piggyback up the stairs.  That big ole white shorted ass of Chantel bouncing .....haha Haha!

I had to chuckle at that, too, but I did think Pedro was very, very sweet to his goofy-ass wife.  There are many men who would not have been (or even had the ability to be!) as comforting as he was.  That last shot of him carrying her up the stairs was surprisingly genuine and heartfelt for a TLC show.  Someone on production must have just watched a Nicholas Sparks movie or something.

I'll say it again: This family would function completely differently without that she-beast of a mother.

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

I'll say it again: This family would function completely differently without that she-beast of a mother.

Man, she-beast is accurate.  She is the worst.  So rude, so awful.  I think Father Chantel seems to be a decent, man.  I do not understand why he puts up with this monster of a wife.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, nr65000 said:
1 hour ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Man, she-beast is accurate.  She is the worst.  So rude, so awful.  I think Father Chantel seems to be a decent, man.  I do not understand why he puts up with this monster of a wife.  

At some point she simply took is balls and he hasn't gotten them back.  I don't doubt for a minute that the ONLY way he got to have any relationship with his kids at all was to put up with her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

MotherChantel and FatherChantel have been together a LONG TIME-he’s used to her pronouncements.  Like him the best in her family.  Sorry for Winter who was Put On Blast with Jah.  That was not cool.  Likely she would have accepted his lying, but couldn’t do it in front of Thousands ..... I wish her and Jah -and however many kiddies- well.

Nicole and MotherPedro are just acting out for the cameras.  They got their marching orders from  Central Casting, and they did the best they could with the script.  There were obvious moments when MotherPedro was going OFF, then a minute later was Super Calm.  Duly noted!

Even Chantel was so measured in so many scenes - when in the first season, she just dumbly flew off the handle at everything.  Clearly, she was coached this season, and I am not going to hate on that because she Needed Some Coaching (have you heard MotherChantel?  No usable wisdom there.). 

LOVED the scene of Pedro carrying Chantel up the stairs.  He spoils her as best he can, and I love it!

I want FamilyPedro to come to the US and live with FamilyChantel.  I’ll pop the popcorn!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

t. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but this spin off should have finished filming by the time  the reunion,

Man dates are crazy, but it's possible.  It could be that by the time the reunion was going on, the FC had started filming.

ETA: I think they were showing ads for FC already (during the reunion)

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

I had to chuckle at that, too, but I did think Pedro was very, very sweet to his goofy-ass wife.  There are many men who would not have been (or even had the ability to be!) as comforting as he was.  That last shot of him carrying her up the stairs was surprisingly genuine and heartfelt for a TLC show.  Someone on production must have just watched a Nicholas Sparks movie or something.

I thought the same thing. I forced myself to watch this show and almost gave up a few times, but that scene got to me in a good way. It felt truthful and genuine, and I loved how sweet and comforting Pedro was to Chantel.

If we're to believe this show, Pedro and Chantel both have toxic families. I  think there's a lot of truth mixed with a lot of acting, but I DO believe the Coraima/Chantel stuff was mostly real. I would never try to get my brother to hook-up with a friend just because he was having marital issues. I am far from perfect and far from a prude, but I love my family, and that includes my in-laws, even when we're all human and imperfect. Never would I show that kind of disrespect.

• Love 7

Recap - Episode 8

Tased and Confused

or

Catfight at the D.R. Corral

Here we are at the Season (and Series?) Finale. I must confess, when I first heard of this show, I had doubts. Was there enough here to justify a spin-off? Pedro and Chantel are a rather bland couple. The only potential conflict was between the in-laws. Could a hearty meal be made out of such a thin gruel? I'm not ashamed to admit it, I was right. There wasn't enough to justify a series. But, on to last night's show.

We start with the families taking separate vans to visit the Grandma Pedro. In a TH, Momma C says they agreed to go "under certain conditions". She insisted on separate vans "In case we need to leave abruptly because I don't like and I do not prefer being under anyone's, anyone's control. We do what we want. When we want...How we want." It's unclear whether "where we want" is also a condition.

In her TH, Mama P says that she is glad they are taking two vans, because she can't bear the thought of a five hour car ride with TFC. I hear you, Mama P, I hear you. On the ride, she ponders all the rude things that TFC might do.

Meanwhile, TFC learns from Chowder that Piquant hasn't seen his grandma in two years. "You mean he's been in the DR slinging girls around, and didn't see his grandma?" River inquires. TFC makes further disparaging remarks about Porcelain. Cinderblock remarks that she's arranged a sit-down with Pertinent and Coraima (of lap dance fame) to establish her proprietary rights over Persona. At some point, TFC harasses Winter about the Jah situation, but she doesn't want to talk about it.

We get to see the dance again, during a TH with Canoli and Momma C, and will see it again later. Canoodle wants Priaprism to "make it clear to a ho" that she should back off. Momma C says that so far, he hasn't made it clear to the ho. 

In his van, Proctor preps TFP on how to behave. In their van, TFC is having second thoughts. Rinkydink and Momma C vow not to get out of the van if they see something they don't like. Momma C says "I will not eat the food." " But you don't even know what it is" says Clarion. "I don't care what it is." Chamber implores her not to be rude. Momma C replies "I don't give a damn how it looks. I can do and say whatever I want. I have nothing to lose." Tact is her middle name.

First to arrive, Pentagram is happy to see his grandma and family, but worried about what TFC will do. I can't imagine why.

TFC has brought presents for Grandma P, a nice gesture. Momma C compliments her, sounding like a alien who has been told what to say, without really understanding what she is saying. 

Porque offers TFC food, which Momma C rejects, saying that they just had a big breakfast. In a TH, Provisional calls them out on this, wondering how they could still be full six hours after breakfast. Momma and Papa C relent to the extent of accepting rice with soup (no meat) on it. In a TH, Momma C demonstrates how she will pretend to eat it, and then does so at dinner with all the realism of a 1950s animatronic at a second rate amusement park.

Momma guesses that TFC can sit down with everyone else while they eat. Rintintin and Winter don't seem to have a problem chowing down. Not eating is Momma C 's choice, she declares in a TH. "I am here as a free agent in this planet [so maybe she really is an alien]. And my choice is not to eat a chicken foot." She ignores the other chicken, the beef, and the pork, probably because it would jeopardize her free agent status if she ate it. Changling thinks TFC were being good sports by pretending to take part in the meal.

After dinner, Provender gives TFC the grand tour. Ringo is frightened when he sees...a snake? a puma? a chupacabra? No, he is frightened by turkeys. Yes, turkeys. Oh, the irony! We learn that when he was a wee bairn, the family would threaten him with a red-eyed, black puppet of a bird, "The Dirty Bird". He was taunted with chants of "River, you better listen, The Dirty Bird is in the closet", leaving him with a lifetime bird phobia. That explains so, so much.

Clunker thinks progress has been made, as does Piston. TFC declines an offer to spend the night. A 12 hour round trip ride in a van is so much more pleasant. The next morning, Protractor and Compass say goodbye. Nicole and Probe exchange a brother/sister hug that is much more restrained than usual. No sign of sexual tension this time, either because Chamois is there, or because the tension has been resolved.

The only thing left to be done is to face off with lap dancer. 

Portent, Clue, Nympho, and Coraima (lapper) meet for lunch. Cocaine taking off from work for this. Is this a real thing? Do husbands and wives meet with someone that the wife suspects is, or wants to be, cheating with her husband? Naiad and Coaxial seem as confused as I am about this. So does Purveyor, for that matter.

Chantal asks Coraima how to pronounce her name. Coraima keeps saying "Co-ray-ma" and Chantel keeps saying "Co-ree-ma". This goes on for a while until Chantel gives up, saying she can't pronounce it because she speaks English (huh?). I'm not sure if this is some kind of dig by Chantel, or just incompetence. Most likely, it's the latter. Chantel is dressed to the nines, or maybe the sixty-nines, in short-shorts and a blouse that allows full access to her breasts. Co-conspirator has on a yellow dress, the same color as Caliber's blouse, an ominous portent.

Chantel wants Chattel to disappear, and the only way that can happen is to confront her. Is that clear? Makes sense, right? This is how Pinterest can prove he's trustworthy. Because a cheater would never lie, right? And his girlfriend would never go along with it, am I right?

This is supposed to be Pester's time to talk, but Chapter keeps interrupting.

After some more conversation that clears up nothing, Condom says she has to get back to work. Chantel says she knows that she must be in a hurry to get back to her street corner to earn money (ouch!). I don't know why, but I'm reminded of the old saying, "People who live in glass bordellos shouldn't throw vibrators." That may not be the exact quote.

Conversion starts mocking Chantel's hair extensions and fake eyelashes. This is too much for Character, who throws her drink in Convertible's face (a 90DF trope at this point). Poignant stops Convoy from throwing her lunch at her in retaliation, and everyone leaves the restaurant.

Outside, Camphor is in tears. Portmanteau consoles her, and we have a happy ending with Constable riding Pringle piggy-back up some stairs.

And there you have it. So much remains untold. What's happening with River's rap career, and why didn't he rap the theme song? Will Winter and Jah reconcile? Will Momma C ever give in and eat chicken feet? Will Chantel's breasts get even larger? Will we ever get to meet The Dirty Bird? Will Mama P and Sister P make it to the US? We may never know.

Edited by Gobi
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5

Hasn't this show provided a bit too much information on a possible scam?

They all* comment at one time or another that Pedro married an American girl so he could get citizenship and bring his mother and sister to the USofA.  Shouldn't that immediately disqualify his application(s)?  Surely there are workers in various agencies who are anxious to blow a whistle.

Including Family Pedro.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

Hasn't this show provided a bit too much information on a possible scam?

They all* comment at one time or another that Pedro married an American girl so he could get citizenship and bring his mother and sister to the USofA.  Shouldn't that immediately disqualify his application(s)?  Surely there are workers in various agencies who are anxious to blow a whistle.

Including Family Pedro.

Nope, you have to fulfill certain requirements to prove you have a legitimate marriage.  The government only cares if you lie on your application.  They do not care if you are really in love with your spouse.

• Love 5
On 9/10/2019 at 12:25 PM, Gobi said:

Outside, Camphor is in tears. Portmanteau consoles her, and we have a happy ending with Constable riding Pringle piggy-back up some stairs.

I wish I could understand a word of this, but I can't tell who these people are.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BoomerRumor said:

I wish I could understand a word of this, but I can't tell who these people are.

It goes by the first initial of their real names. Pringle is Pedro, etc. Every name beginning with P is Pedro and so on (exceptions for Coraima and Chantel).

Edited by Gobi
  • Love 2

There have been an overwhelming amount of negative reviews about this show, from people either denying they watched, saying they watched but didn't like it, and the people admitting to watching it saying it needed to be just a two hour special instead of a season of HEA and a spin-off. I keep seeing that ratings are bad but I really don't think TLC is going to have a problem with them.

With sMothered, the first episode made it into the Top 25 of the evening ratings but fell completely off the charts that showed Top 50.  I decided to gather the remaining ratings, for a total of seven. Is that it? I'm including the first post I made and adding the rest below:

On 8/20/2019 at 3:57 PM, Christina said:

Also, I saw a tweet that said The Family Chantel wasn't doing real well in the ratings and since I was posting the question here, I decided to go track them down and post them. I think TLC will be fine with the ratings. I'm adding The Other Way for comparison. This weeks hasn't updated yet.

July 22, 2019

90 Day Fiance: The Other Way 9:00 pm = 1,621,000

The Family Chantel 10:00 pm = 1,527,000

July 29, 2019

90 Day Fiance: The Other Way 9:00 pm  = 1,780,000

The Family Chantel 10:00 pm = 1,386,000

August 5, 2019

90 Day Fiance: The Other Way 9:00 pm  = 1,801,000

The Family Chantel 10:00 pm = 1,472,000

August 12, 2019

90 Day Fiance: The Other Way 9:00 pm  = 1,983,000

The Family Chantel 10:00 pm = 1,543,000

August 19, 2019 - (Preseason Football started tonight, too)

90 Day Fiance: The Other Way 9:00 pm  = 2,146,000

The Family Chantel 10:00 pm = 1.637,000

August 26, 2019 - (MTV Video Music Awards also aired)

90 Day Fiance: The Other Way 9:00 pm  = 2,147,000

The Family Chantel 10:00 pm = 1,624,000

September 9, 2019

90 Day Fiance: The Other Way 9:00 pm  = 2,231,000

The Family Chantel 10:00 pm = 1,622,000

Hurricane Dorian began to wreak havoc around September 4, and I think there should be another episode between the last two dates above, but I don't see it so maybe there isn't another episode.

In any event, I didn't watch this season and if there is another season, i won't be watching it, either. These ratings are probably fine for TLC as long as the families don't demand too much money and we all know they are all willing to make fools of themselves, so maybe the script will improve since the feedback has been overwhelmingly, "This Again????"

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

There is a trick...when FC comes on right after 90DF Before or whatever main 90DF and if I keep the cable box on TLC, the cable company reports to TLC that I watched it (FC).

I've wondered about changing to a new channel so they don't add me to the "viewers"...but mostly I haven't' bothered.  So as your numbers go like 1.6M for the 90DF-x dropping to 1.5M for FC...not sure how much of the 1.5M were empty chairs.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Useful 4

Just watching the way Pedro acts around his family, Obed,  and his sister's friend in DR tells me that Chantel's mom is on target about Pedro. Also, you have to wonder about a guy who claims to care about his grandma, but somehow was too busy partying to go see her when he was last in DR. Moms are usually vilified, until they are proven right. 

• Love 1
On 9/23/2019 at 11:23 PM, MadamChanel said:

Just watching the way Pedro acts around his family, Obed,  and his sister's friend in DR tells me that Chantel's mom is on target about Pedro. Also, you have to wonder about a guy who claims to care about his grandma, but somehow was too busy partying to go see her when he was last in DR. Moms are usually vilified, until they are proven right. 

True, but grandma didn't look too deathly. Maybe it's really just her arthritis getting worse.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, MadamChanel said:

I think Grandma's situation was motivated by a plot point. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Pedro did visit his gran during the first visit but they it didn't suit the narrative. 

This family and all their drama just seems like serious frauding.

Spoiler

Wonder if we will ever hear about Chantel's semester abroad she was posting all over instagram. 

Edited by watchingtvaddict
Added a spoiler.
  • Love 1

I just have to say this...Aren't they both absolutely gorgeous? Lord amighty I just can't help ogling over Chantal and I can see where she gets her looks from. It's a good looking family no doubt. Chantal is truly a beaut looks-wise and figure. I'd hit it.

Now about Chantal and Pedro. I have mixed feelings. Most times I think she's too good for him. Other times I can understand his point of view and frustration with the family. Although it's natural for them to be concerned with his intentions (I mean lots of times I get the feeling it was just to get to the great ole USA and a green card) there's been too much interfering and inquisition....but then again if I was in their shoes I could understand why the need. But he's needs to try and get along better with them nevertheless.

The sister's visit. That was a hot mess. Oh gorm man you mean Pedro's sister couldn't be more respectful to Chantal? From the get go I thought she was much too disrespectful from refusing to sleep on the couch to her blatant disrespect of Chantal. And yes I believe what Chantal said of her what she did and said while she was leaving the house.

......And let us not forget about the famous fight at the dinner. Oh gorm man Pedro. You lost some serious points there. Not the way to get on the good side of the family. That was some karate kick right there. And the sister...did she really bite Chantal's brother? Lord put a hand. More points lost.

Pedro's self "vacation" to the DR. Pedro boy I think you go be in some trouble when Chantal sees that.

So much more coming to mind as I'm writing but I don't want to make this too long. Suffice it to say I'm enjoying 90 Day and it's offshoots. I can't get enough of it. It reels me in like magnet.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Christina said:

I didn't watch this show, but thought some of you might want to see this.

I also don't plan on watching season two.

I wonder if they will show the dinner fight scene again?

• LOL 4
On 7/23/2019 at 2:14 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't get this obsession here with River's hair.  It's twists, black people wear them. 

Actually his hair is not twisted.  His curls are a tighter coily pattern.  My curl pattern is pretty similar.  I don't care for when he wears it hanging in his face simply because it's unflattering, but folks comparing it to Sideshow Bob, who pretty much had freeform locs,  are just ignorant assholes!

• Love 1
On 10/8/2020 at 12:09 PM, Christina said:

Family Chantel got bad ratings. The 90DF shows are selected and this show is at the bottom

AFAIK, that was just a short clip; not a full episode. S2/E1 doesn't air until Monday night, Oct. 12.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

AFAIK, that was just a short clip; not a full episode. S2/E1 doesn't air until Monday night, Oct. 12.

Ahhh, I wondered why it was soooo much lower than the others. I don't watch it but it did about the same as Darcey and Stacey last season.

Ugh.  These people.  We are watching for chuckles and WTF else is on Mondays?  

Chantel's family continues to be dysfunctional.  I don't have a great read on Royal yet, but my initial thoughts:  I think Royal is always going to get away with more because he is the oldest and a male.  I've been out of the dating game a long time, so I don't understand randomly friending someone from a different country in order to pursue a romantic relationship.  Weird that everyone seems totally fine with it b/c watching the 90 Day franchise for years gives me pause.   Royal does seem a bit controlling.  I get the drinking and clubbing b/c she may not be used to that lifestyle and giving her some info, but the curling hair and such is a lot.  Royal showing up seems VERY producer driven (like he would have gotten in dressed like that)...that club seemed empty, so I bet it was still early in the night when they did the whole thing.  His demeanor, while caring, b/c Angenette was drunk, was a bit controlling.  IMO, he doesn't seem like anyone that hasn't gotten what we wanted when he wanted it.  He also seems to have little to no respect for Chantel.   You would think that normal people would find kinship in the K1 process with their sibling in a similar situation, but obviously they aren't going to do that here.  It is going to be competing, and insulting. 

Chantel and by extension Pedro are always going to pay for that original lie of who Pedro is and why he was here, and the subsequent issues of Pedro's family "hunting an American".  While I get it, Chantel's parents were never going to welcome Pedro in the same way they seem to be open to Angenette.  Plus, they have been married for 4 years; calm the fuck down, Family Chantel.  I can see that Pedro is hurt and even a bit jealous of that.  I get that, and Chantel is too immature to understand that she needed to address that properly with everyone.

I can't wait to see Nicole's big secret about her bf.  Homeboy seems a little shady and he def isn't my type.  One of my best friends is Dominican and she theorizes that he is a catch b/c he is in America with that American dollar, as well as being lighter skinned and more European than Afro in look. Nicole continues to be a selfish bitch, so I can't wait for her to have problems. It's karmic that her judgy ass is about to catch some pain. 

Nicole and Chantel both need to calm the fuck down with how they talk about each other.  I def was petty and chuckled at "client" referring to Nicole's bf, but it seems counterproductive and honestly unfair to Pedro. 

• Love 9

I didn't realize it was on, and then looked up and saw it.  Uggghhh...I opted for the new season of Fargo On Demand.  If you need a big laugh, check it out.  Season 4 Episode 3.  

Spoiler

After getting violently ill from eating Ipecak laced pie, two women commit an armed robbery, whilst vomiting and pooping all over the money!  Rarely do I ACTUALLY lOL.  

• Love 1

Royal is a controlling bitch, takes after his mother Karen.

Winter in that beatnik combo of a red beret and black turtleneck is so cringey...what look is she going for here, Jack Kerouac?

The best thing Pedro and Chantel could do is move far, far away from either of their families...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Only in America would these fools get a tv program and watching it shows how much is going on in my life!

It's hard to believe Winter and Chantel are sisters.  Where did Royal come from?  I don't remember him ever being mentioned.

Pedro's sister is flat as a pancake.  I'll be watching her for new boobies.

The saga continues!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2020 at 11:08 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Where did Royal come from?  I don't remember him ever being mentioned.

My guess is he asked to not be named or involved in the previous shows but once he got himself a foreign fiance, TLC waved some cash around and he changed his tune.  I am only guessing as I can't take this family.  

• Love 3

This show is so utterly contrived.  The “dialogue” sounds like the script from a high school play.  It’s nothing but exposition and scene-setting.  The only reason Nicole and her friends don’t sound as bad is because their delivery is a little better.  Chantel’s entire family (especially Mother Chantel) speaks so poorly.  I certainly don’t deliver Ted Talks every day, but damn.  Chantel’s performance at her job interview was . . . bless her heart.

My heart goes out to Winter.  The decision to have the surgery is a big one (pun unintended) and it must be that much harder to be displayed in front of the whole world.  I would imagine that the price tag figures into her decision to showcase it on this show.

The mother continues to be an absolute poison to this family with her hateful bullshit and unceasing judgment.  If I really needed one, I wouldn’t mind receiving a dust mop for a Christmas gift at all, KAREN.  They make some really cute dust mops now.  Ugh, this bitch. 

(Crap, I think I just admitted to watching this show. 😬)

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I mentioned earlier that Chantel and Winter look nothing alike!  

Now I'm noticing Royal and River are complete opposites.

A brother from another mother or daddy???I

Speaking of which...where do they get these names?

57 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Some of the names are fake (like Chantel’s).

Mama said Winter was named because they got married in winter.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

While I think Chantel has a pleasing countenance and River doesn’t so much, Chantel turned to the side and her profile was River!  They look very similar and like their mother. Winter and Royal take after the father and look alike, imo. 

Isn’t Chantel’s given name nature related the the younger two? 

• Love 3