Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Big Expectations

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Hannah94 said:
8 hours ago, millennium said:

I'm confused.  Isn't this the thread for last week's Jun 11 episode?

I am not gonna lie. I cannot keep track anymore. Too many versions of this show. If I posted something in the wrong thread, I apologize. And to any mod - please feel free to move or remove it. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, Drogo said:

Jenny arrives in India but Sumit may have cold feet; Paul finally arrives in Brazil and surprises Karine; Laura drops a bomb on her brother, revealing some big news; Tiffany is off to South Africa, hoping she's made the right decision for her son.

Airs 6/17/19.

• Love 1

When you watch an episode, look at the show's title and the episode's title - then come here and find the same show title and episode title to comment about it.  If you're live chatting, it all happens in one thread so that's an easy one.   

There's really no other way to simplify the 90DF collection than the forum consolidation that's already been done, but yes there are a lot of spinoffs with their own episodes.  It might be trickier right now because it's the first time two spinoffs have been airing at once.   

That said:   I've moved many posts but I'm not going to continue doing that. You as posters are responsible for knowing which show and episode topics you're posting in (and not spoiling anything in a prior episode's thread.) You're also responsible for keeping live chatting in the Live Chat thread. 

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, Drogo said:

When you watch an episode, look at the show's title and the episode's title - then come here and find the same show title and episode title to comment about it. 

I did look at the title and the description and thought I was in the right place, but was confused by comments from Thursday and Friday about a show that airs the following Monday.  

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, millennium said:

I did look at the title and the description and thought I was in the right place, but was confused by comments from Thursday and Friday about a show that airs the following Monday.  

TLC makes 90DF episodes available On Demand nearly a week before their air date.  There will likely always be comments from before the air date.  It doesn't mean you're in the wrong place. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Team Daniel...Team May....I feel sorry for the children. Daniel is a child and the fact that he is embracing Ronald as Daddy so quickly is dangerous. That kid is in for a world of disappointment. 

Poor kid.

When he was talking about all the "new candies" he'd get to try in South Africa, my first thought was "Until 'daddy' gambles away all of the money and you're dumpster diving for food to survive, kiddo."  

I just loathe these women who drag their children into these situations.  She should have just left that little boy with her mother and went on a 6-month travel visa to go be with her addiction-riddled Romeo.

34 minutes ago, Angry Moldolvian said:

The grilled cheese sandwich?

LOVE your avatar and screen name 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Didn't Jenny say she had stayed in with Summit in India for 6 months?  What cell phone did she use then?  I don't think TLC needs made up drama.  This shit is fuckery enough on it's own. 

Agreed.

These participants don't normally think with their brains.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

The TLC bull crap that Jenny is shoveling about Summit not meeting her up at the airport – I’m not buying, and neither should you guys.  Another one of these “WE have an audience”.  Hon, you have a camera crew following you, of course you have an audience.  I like the apartment, and did he say it was only $350 a month? Wow!  And culture clashes when they go shopping for saris. Hopefully Sumit doesn’t call her fat. LOL.

Tiffany is another one (like Nicole) who insists that the new dude in the picture is the kid’s dad.  I feel so sorry for these kids on these TLC programs.  If the old Ronald put you through “hell”, why would you go back with your kid in tow to check out the “new” Ronald?  I would have given Roland the heave ho.   Personally, I think Tiffany wants an adventure and some romance, which is cool, but she has a kid.  She cannot have this the way she wants it. Sorry. 

Ludwig is talking for all of us. We all cannot believe that Angela 2.0 married Aladdin after 7 days.  Another love rat from Tunisia.

Pol and Karine. I don’t give two figs about.  Just make them go away TLC.  And sterilize them.

• Love 22
12 minutes ago, Twopper said:

For someone who has visited India before, she seems quite unprepared.  (I really wish I had seen the episode where she visits Sumit and his parents).

I think we all would have wanted to see that.  It happened before the show started taping.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

Overall a pretty boring episode. Felt like 90% of it was filler conversation.

The overweight blonde lady with the abs guy is the Danielle of this season, however, I think Danielle had mental defects and this lady is going in with eyes wide open. Another complete fool.

Paul and Karine are gross, dirty looking people. That's all I got on them. 

Jenny comes across as entirely too desperate and Sumit is going to tire of that. So he's terrified of his family seeing him with Jenny so his answer to that is to lie and move two hours away to a "business hub" in which many of his family members live and work? Okay. He comes across as very sincere renting a nice place and buying all that stuff. What the heck is the catch here?

The lady going to South Africa: her son saying that he's going to hug the guy so much and wants him to be his dad was so sad. She's obviously been telling her son that this is his new dad. Awful.  Way to go dragging your son into this kind of mess, mom.

And just when something worthwhile is about to happen, the show ends....

As an aside: I realize that it is probably manufactured drama for the show but the whole "where are they?" scenes at the airports drives me crazy. Someone is relocating or visiting you and you're an hour or more late to meet them so they get to sit there worrying and waiting? 

Edited by configdotsys
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
(edited)

Is the woman moving to Qatar really thinking that she can have a baby or two at 60 years old?  She's delusional, and I think she's going to be shocked at how they're going to live in Qatar.  

My heart broke at the little boy calling Ronald 'Daddy", and saying he's going to meet his father.     Tiffany actually has told her little boy that a man that she says put her through hell, is going to be his new daddy, and her husband?      Paul is so lucky nothing happened when he surprised his girlfriend in Brazil.    Not much of a surprise, since he walked right in either.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Jenny is like an excited new puppy about to pee on the floor:  "Oh Sumit! You're so amazing. I like EVERYTHING about you! I can't believe this is happening! Is this happening? I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! I mean I really really love you. You are MY EVERYTHING!"

Sumit:  "I don't know if I'll choose Jenny, or my parents."

Best description of Jenny & Sumit!  Truly made me laugh out loud!

• LOL 5
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, Drogo said:

He is.  I want to know if he uses that high chair he has as a desk or if he's got kids.

A grilled cheese with maple syrup and... figs?  What was that?  I need more friends who make me grilled cheese when I show up to tell them my nonsense.

He looked like he was wearing a wedding ring, too.

I'm wondering if it's kind of like a McGriddle sandwich from McDonalds without the egg?  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I was going to say because he makes grilled cheeses with jelly and pancake syrup, but Google tells me that's something people do.

Ludwig is obviously the voice of reason, but I am starting to doubt his sanity -- 

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT???????  I am horrified.  What kind of crazy person puts syrup on a grilled cheese.  I am usually on board with making something sweet and savory but this is horrific.  And so so so much syrup.  Why put ANYTHING on a grilled cheese?  It is perfection with just bread and cheese (and butter).  

4 hours ago, Meowwww said:

This.  To both.  

Jenny and her non-working phone.  I mean, wouldn’t you have contacted your cell provider to make sure it works?  

I cannot believe she wasn't prepared for her cell not working.  I mean, I guess I am not that surprised.  I assume if her cell service wasn't working, she could have found a WiFi hotspot in the airport.  The airport looked fairly modern.  I wonder if she has learned the language.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Ludwig is obviously the voice of reason, but I am starting to doubt his sanity -- 

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT???????  I am horrified.  What kind of crazy person puts syrup on a grilled cheese.  I am usually on board with making something sweet and savory but this is horrific.  And so so so much syrup.  Why put ANYTHING on a grilled cheese?  It is perfection with just bread and cheese (and butter).  

Butter on grilled cheese sounds gross to me. 🙂 Never heard of that. 

I'm joining the "More Ludwig" train though.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

That's exactly what I thought about Americans putting syrup on French toast when I came to America 22 years ago. Yuk! And eating bacon with pancakes and syrup. I still can't do that. I love my French toast salty. On the other hand Americans are repulsed when they hear in my country we put ketchup on pizza. At least that was the way back then when I lived there... But your pizza here is much better so I gave up the ketchup.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

The butter goes on the OUTSIDE, when it's grilled, to give it a nice, crispy, brown coating. Mmm!

Yes and the difference between a buttered bread and a non-buttered bread is huge.  The crispy coating is so good!

• Love 9

What is Paul's status in Brazil? Do we know? His inability to earn money anywhere is a huge problem. How will they live? It's impressive that Karine's English has improved so much in a year. She looked okay in the scenes at her school and with her brother, but then when Paul showed up she was back to looking like hell. He brings out the worst in her.

I don't think Sumit is scamming Jenny. Call me crazy but I don't. I do think that they are headed down the same road as Chantel and Pedro: it starts with a lie and then there can never be any trust. Sumit's English is very good, why can't he move to the US? Were we told why that wasn't an option? He's basically giving up his family anyway, so ...? If Jenny actually learns Hindi I'll be shocked. It's apparently one of the most difficult languages to learn.

I loathe people who bring kids into their mess. The woman who is dragging her young son halfway around the world to live with a recovering addict is a total moron.

I think the woman who is moving to Qatar is an older version of Nicole. I suspect her guy is using her to eventually get to the US. He's a better operator than Azan.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

The TLC bull crap that Jenny is shoveling about Summit not meeting her up at the airport – I’m not buying, and neither should you guys.  Another one of these “WE have an audience”.  Hon, you have a camera crew following you, of course you have an audience.  I like the apartment, and did he say it was only $350 a month? Wow!  And culture clashes when they go shopping for saris. Hopefully Sumit doesn’t call her fat. LOL.

1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

As an aside: I realize that it is probably manufactured drama for the show but the whole "where are they?" scenes at the airports drives me crazy. Someone is relocating or visiting you and you're an hour or more late to meet them so they get to sit there worrying and waiting? 

Someone at Sharp is asleep at the wheel. Every. Single. Episode trots out the same old, tired tropes:

Fiance/e is waiting the airport, all nervous.

Fiance/e's family is deeply suspicious of the newcomer,  advancing from expressing concern to outright hostility and demands to know their ulterior motive in record time. 

The American is shocked and horrified by some local food or custom. 

Foreign fiance/e is bored and lonely. Whines about "leaving everything behind".

American fiance/e has one over invested friend or family member who grills newcomer, is rude, and acts shitty to them in public. Never lets go of their "suspicions". American never, ever steps up and tells them to back off and stop being a jerk.

There are more. I just can't think of them because my brain is turning to oatmeal as a direct result of watching these nincompoops.

If I were Jenny I would LOVE to wear Indian clothes! I don't think I could learn to rock a sari, but I adore salwaar kameez and would love to wear it every day!

• Love 21
10 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

I think the woman who is moving to Qatar is an older version of Nicole. I suspect her guy is using her to eventually get to the US. He's a better operator than Azan.

Their story is such a stereotypical "Tunisian love rat bezness" whatever you call it that its almost unreal. Lonely older blonde overweight woman talks to young, handsome Tunisian who wants marriage. I bet his parents are rooting for it too. 

And from what I know many Indian people in India speak English and intermix English (but a British sounding version) into conversations daily. I believe they call it Hinglish. Im not sure where in India Sumit lives, but there are so many languages in India that he may very well speak something else (not Hindi) but some regional dialect. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

The butter goes on the OUTSIDE, when it's grilled, to give it a nice, crispy, brown coating. Mmm!

18 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Yes and the difference between a buttered bread and a non-buttered bread is huge.  The crispy coating is so good!

Interesting. Never had that. It's just cheese on bread closed in a panini type machine. Doesn't the butter make it taste all greasy?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Random thought:  The music on this shit show is so stereotypical that I always  know where we are going to in the narrative if I'm not directly watching the show.  Weak-ass fake bhangra = Jenny and Sumit.  Theme park middle eastern-y = Laura and Qatar dude.  Jungly annoyance = Paul and Karine.  It's annoying, but it helps half watching the show. Etc etc

That’s how I knew we weren’t going to see the alleged Korean guy/pregnant girl couple! Every time the scene changed I would listen for the music while looking at my work, and when I heard fake stereotypical music for another region of the world, I would resign myself to waiting a little longer. It’s almost as bad as how Chopped plays a super low-rent hip-hop beat for every black chef.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Drogo said:
4 hours ago, Drogo said:

When you watch an episode, look at the show's title and the episode's title - then come here and find the same show title and episode title to comment about it.  If you're live chatting, it all happens in one thread so that's an easy one.   

There's really no other way to simplify the 90DF collection than the forum consolidation that's already been done, but yes there are a lot of spinoffs with their own episodes.  It might be trickier right now because it's the first time two spinoffs have been airing at once.   

That said:   I've moved many posts but I'm not going to continue doing that. You as posters are responsible for knowing which show and episode topics you're posting in (and not spoiling anything in a prior episode's thread.) You're also responsible for keeping live chatting in the Live Chat thread. 

I remember back in the day, TWOP called the original Trading Spaces the tapeworm of TV shows.  It had so many variations that it kind of wore itself out.

90 day is sort of the same thing.  I appreciate the mods for keeping things straight as this tapeworm continues to grow.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Laura is in for a world of hurt. If her Tunisian love rat is living and working in Qatar.

4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

You meant Guitar, right?

• LOL 9
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I was going to say because he makes grilled cheeses with jelly and pancake syrup, but Google tells me that's something people do.

Thank you for posting this.  I wasn't watching super closely and couldn't figure out what the globs of stuff were on the cheese sandwich.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Didn't Jenny say she had stayed in with Summit in India for 6 months?  What cell phone did she use then?  I don't think TLC needs made up drama.  This shit is fuckery enough on it's own. 

I swear I heard her say that she stayed at his parents.   It was during one of the conversations about the hot water. 

The little boy going to South Africa ... I thought it was cute when he said he was going to get to eat all kinds of new candies.    But the preview of him jumping in "Daddy's" arms made me very sad, too, as did the scenes of him leaving his friends. 

• Love 6

Possible: Ludwing met Laura in 1999 when he was living in Peru and sent Laura a love letter/invitation to marry with this picture of himself enclosed...

5512958298_67cbecc855_b.jpg

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

Interesting. Never had that. It's just cheese on bread closed in a panini type machine. Doesn't the butter make it taste all greasy?

It's pretty greasy but worth it!

12 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

TLC's twitter account posted the recipe for Ludwing's grilled sandwich last night:

buttered bread, kalamata olives, honey and cheese

Must not have had any honey and used syrup.

Horrified by this recipe, but LESS SO than with the syrup.  

Now I am hungry for olives.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, nr65000 said:

My take on that was she was just so relieved it was Paul (gross) instead of an intruder.  He kept talking about what a dangerous neighborhood they lived in, murders are commonplace, etc. so what does he do?  He arrives unannounced in the middle of the night and quietly unlocked the door to let himself in; no knock, no announcement, no "honey it's me".. and just ever so creepily opened the bedroom door in the dark scary little apartment.  If I had been Karine, I would have been terrified (even after I saw who it was, or maybe especially when I saw who it was...but that's just me).  She even said she thought it was "thieves".  

Too bad she didn't just clock him!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

TLC's twitter account posted the recipe for Ludwing's grilled sandwich last night:

buttered bread, kalamata olives, honey and cheese

That actually sounds yummy  - Greek? I had a roommate who ate toast with Cheez Whiz and grape jelly. Now that made me gag.

1 hour ago, LilaFowler said:

I loathe people who bring kids into their mess. The woman who is dragging her young son halfway around the world to live with a recovering addict is a total moron.

Yes. And TLC needs to stop exploiting these situations with people who have small children.

I wonder if Sumit and Jenny ever took the plastic off the furniture?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

It's pretty greasy but worth it!

Horrified by this recipe, but LESS SO than with the syrup.  

Now I am hungry for olives.

If the pan is hot, it should not be too greasy. If you put it on a cold pan it will definitely be greasy. I want it nice and caramelized

• Love 6
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Butter on grilled cheese sounds gross to me. 🙂 Never heard of that. 

I'm joining the "More Ludwig" train though.

Butter the outside of the bread so it browns nicely. Delicious!! I’ve heard that some use mayo instead, but I gag at the thought of hot mayo. Never considered maple syrup on grilled cheese, but my friend’s brothers used to put maple syrup on cottage cheese. Gross!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

d04638cb05a6d1433f63004a00264ffbb03eb0c0

90-Day-Fiance-Before-the-90-Days-Angela-

Look how far you've come, TLC.

Oh yes.  Laura of this season does remind me of Angela.... A LOT.  Maybe, it's the hair and penchant for younger men. lol  Laurie's friend was delightful.  If TLC has any sense at all, they'll find him a spin off show.  

Another thing I finally figured out.  If you close your eyes and listen to COREY talk....he sounds just like Adam Levine.   Not sure why I care. Just some free trivia if you're interested. lol 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Jenny...honey...you did absolutely no research before moving to India. Your "American attitude " will get you nowhere and spineless Sumit will run back to his parents faster than you can say Coltee.

Bangs and South Africa swindler....hey bangs leave your poor child in the US until you can determine if this will work out. Poor child is already overly attached and clearly craves a father figure. A thief and gambling addict fresh out of rehab is not the one. 

Platinum Blonde...listen to Ludwig. Why did you marry him so quickly? 

I wish Karine pulled an Oscar Pistorius on Paul. He complained about how dangerous Brasil is then proceeds to sneak into his pregnant wife's apartment to 'surprise' her.....she was likely terrified you idiot. Did he pack momma's hair or leave it behind? 

I can't believe these people.

I wonder if his name is in fact Ludwig (which is much more common) and the chyron person misspelled it as Ludwing.  I like maple (maple ice cream especially), but not sure about it on grilled cheese. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

South Asian gal checking in again...I SAW all those gossipy auntie-jis eyeballing Sumit and Jenny when they got to the apartment, and by the time these idiots got up the stairs, I can guarantee you that word is back to Sumit's parents.  The apartment itself isn't bad.  I do wonder what his plan is when they run out of money to pay rent.  Also, Mr Trini and I were eating a quick dinner while these two were kissing.  I was totally grossed out.  Make it staaaapppp.

I don't get why Jenny and Sumit are disgusting to some people.  

I do think Tiffany is awful for bringing her son to meet Ronald.  She needs to go to SA for a few months to see how it is before she brings her son there.

I have no words for the woman heading with her son to South Africa.  Actually, I have words but I shouldn't use them in polite society.   I liked watching the little boys on the merry-go-round thing, but I hate how she is wresting him from his friend and her family to move in with this person he has never met.  I guess maybe they skyped.   The dating pool in Maryland cannot possibly be so bad that she cannot find someone better in the US that she has to settle for  an addict and criminal from another country. 

The dating pool sucks if you don't look like an Instagram model. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Lily247 said:

And from what I know many Indian people in India speak English and intermix English (but a British sounding version) into conversations daily. I believe they call it Hinglish. Im not sure where in India Sumit lives, but there are so many languages in India that he may very well speak something else (not Hindi) but some regional dialect. 

I think Delhi, not sure why tho.

i was thinking about why Sumit didn’t come to the US. I don’t think that Jenny could meet the minimum requirements for sponsorship, I’m sure her age would be a factor also.

Immigration would also be on high alert for scammers ( although this show has  shown me anyone can get a k1 visa except for Loren and Alexei)

i don’t think that he wants to marry her, or he’s at least conflicted about it. Going to the US would be the ultimate FU to his family

• Love 1