Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E10: What Do You Care About?

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, little black cloud said:

Some of the T-shirts had good designs, but the actual fabrications were janky.  Venny’s in particular was a craft store printable iron-on executed badly. 

That’s not the designers’ fault, of course, but it bugged me. Be better, show. 

Yeah, his was REALLY bad. Part of the problem was that he had such a large area of white on the black fabric which made it really obvious. But it also looked like instead of just using white letters on the black fabric for the other half of his design, they printed the black part of the rectangle, so the entire area of the logo was a stiff rectangle.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Sebastian is a victim of his own excellence.  The judges expect Sebastian to be good every week so they don't give him credit for the fact that he's good EVERY WEEK!

I liked when Brandon didn't understand Sebastian's design and Nina broke it down for him in a way that sounded like she got how impressive the technique was.

I would have liked to see Hester go before Venny (her design this week looked like something from the Delia's sale pages, and that's not a compliment), but Venny's days were numbered. I like him and would like to see more from him. (He's also handsome.)

When Bishme (who is also cute) was rambling in Mood, my jaw was on the floor. He sounded like an auctioneer!

• Love 22

If you google “tulle ruffle jacket”, you see things ranging from major designers to some that even look worse than Hester’s jacket.  Her only original thought may have been the formal pasties.  catalog0003_1296x.jpg?v=1545911304

• LOL 7

Did anybody else notice that at the beginning of the critique, Hester's hat said "Plz Die" and then (still during the critique) it said "Cutie Pie"?  Why do I insist on believing that anything on shows like this is "real"?

4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

To me,  Sebastian's layered organza "skin tones" dress AND the accompanying "DNA" T-shirt were hands-down Best of Show. Not only was his use of the fabric totally brilliant, but his concept of all skin colors' being ONE was beyond. 

I understood the concept, but noticed that his design didn't include anywhere near all skin colors, and in fact had only the lighter ones.  I'm surprised nobody made an issue of that, although all of the judges' skin tones were represented, so maybe that's why.  But when everybody's all about inclusion all the time, it seemed like a glaring omission.

3 hours ago, sunshine23 said:

As it began I also thought "only politically correct/popular opinions allowed". That is not saying the designers' causes were not important, it is saying if a designer chose something less popular like anti-abortion, reverse racism, judging people today for past behavior,  etc. (examples off the top of my head)) the cause wouldn't have been allowed. 

I hate these challenges, and my mind went to someone choosing White Nationalism.  You'd be committing auf suicide if that's what your cause was, and it would have nothing to do with your design.  Or your design could get more approbation if you had a big enough sob story to go with it.  Or they could be afraid to cut someone with a sensitive story.  Or your cause could be environmental and the judges could be dismissive.

Bleh.  I'm here for the clothes.

14 minutes ago, dleighg said:

did he explain what he was going for with "# = DNA"? I may just have missed it.

I think it had to do with his contention that everyone has the same DNA, or equal DNA, or something.

But we don't have the same DNA.  Well, maybe identical twins do, but not the rest of us. 

I thought the front of Garo's shirt looked like a vampire bat from any distance at all.  And I thought his hastag was wearebees and I was wondering what the hell "e bees" are, and why is wearing bees, whether regular or electronic, helpful in the quest to find out why their hives are collapsing?  Then this morning it occurred to me that it was "We are bees," and I got it--without bees, we cease to exist.  Only to look at the shirt on the website and realize I misread it all along, and there's no "e" in the middle, so it's "Wear bees" after all, which I still don't understand.  At least I've cleared up the electronic bees issue.

• LOL 8
  • Love 15

I REALLY want Bishme to win this whole thing.  I'm liking him more and more every week.  He's talented AND self-taught which is impressive.  I love the fact that he's a young Black man who worked his way out of his situation and is now reaching back to help and inspire young people. 

Jamal could take a page from Bishme's book.  His ongoing angst appears to be part survivor's guilt.  He has issues with being the one who 'got out'.  If he's having issues with his place as a Black man, perhaps he should stop with the navel gazing and go back to the Black community to help young people who might be having the same issues he has.  He'd also find that there's more to being Black than wearing puffer jackets.

I believe Sebastian is the best designer and is a lovely man but Bishme is the best reality show contestant and that internship would mean so much to him. 

At this point, Garo and Tessa are redshirts.  And Hester has over-stayed whatever welcome she had.

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I understood the concept, but noticed that his design didn't include anywhere near all skin colors, and in fact had only the lighter ones.  I'm surprised nobody made an issue of that, although all of the judges' skin tones were represented, so maybe that's why.  But when everybody's all about inclusion all the time, it seemed like a glaring omission.

I noticed that too.  I'm not surprised that the judges didn't because, as you say, THEY were represented.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Not to diminish any causes and I love Christian but when I wasn’t looking at the tv, I realized Christian sounds like the Church Chat lady.

Whenever I look at Christian I see Chris Kattan's Mango! Every. Time.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:
12 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

The guest judge asking Tessa what was behind her design felt exploitative and like producer manipulation.

Definitely!

That's how the show works. It seemed the same as when Nina asked Mondo about the plus signs in his design, way back when. The producers feed some of these questions from what they learn in filming. She made the design with the intent of explaining its origin.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I noticed that too.  I'm not surprised that the judges didn't because, as you say, THEY were represented.

Well, I was represented, and I somehow managed to notice.  And honestly, how can you not notice, especially when your point is about all skin colors? 

Then again, I'm kind of literal, so maybe that's the difference. 

But still, if you're going to say all...

4 minutes ago, stormy weather said:

I agree. When Elaine told him in the workroom she didn't know how important bees are I was like "for real, girl?!" I think every cause is a a valid cause, if it has meaning to you. And there's no need to always use one's personal struggles to deliver a point. 

But there probably is in a competition like this, which is why I don't l like this challenge.  Like Chris Rock says, "Pretty girls have problems, too."  But they'll never win them a challenge like this. 

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

Not that Tessa should be ashamed of being a sexual assault survivor, but she shouldn't be put on the spot to reveal it on national television.

She revealed it herself first, though.  As soon as she said on camera that she hoped she wouldn't have to say it on the runway, I knew she'd be saying it on the runway.  I did like her explanation of taking her body back as hers, but I'm not sure it came across on the garment.

What is wrong with the judges in not awarding it the clear winner again (IMO), Sebastian?  WTF?  I loved his look, although I think it could have been even more beautiful with darker tones added.

I can't also believe the praise for Hester's.  That was completely unimaginative.  YMMV.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I thought the front of Garo's shirt looked like a vampire bat from any distance at all.  And I thought his hastag was wearebees and I was wondering what the hell "e bees" are, and why is wearing bees, whether regular or electronic, helpful in the quest to find out why their hives are collapsing?  Then this morning it occurred to me that it was "We are bees," and I got it--without bees, we cease to exist.  Only to look at the shirt on the website and realize I misread it all along, and there's no "e" in the middle, so it's "Wear bees" after all, which I still don't understand.  At least I've cleared up the electronic bees issue.

Hahahahaha, this made me laugh, so I looked at the site, too! You're right that the product title is #wearbees; luckily, the T-shirt itself has it correctly spelled.

1450089149_ScreenShot2019-05-17at12_15_13PM.thumb.png.95044963d5b8368ac8e720cc096a36b0.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So Kate (the model who usually can't walk worth a damn) did a good job with Tessa's look. It seems she's the only survivor of the plus size model group.

I think Garo's 'sticking up' shoulder straps were representing antennae, which makes the whole thing even more costumey. The fact that Karlie didn't know about the bee crisis is shocking. 

Glad Jamal's Moncler imitation/homage has now been called out twice. And if he had gotten Kate instead of that super skinny model (can't think of her name), it wouldn't have been a top look.  

Did I hear correctly? The guest judge was trying to call out Tessa because the 'body outline' on her dress wasn't inclusive enough? Or something? Idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Love 12

while I've joined y'all with the being over Jamal's sleeping bag clothing, I actually liked his this week and understood what he was going for. And honestly kind of hated Bishme's purple prom dress.

• Love 13

Hester was shown buying yards and yards of tulle in multiple colours. What happened to all of it?  And her skirts are too short I mean the ones she wears. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, little black cloud said:

Hahahahaha, this made me laugh, so I looked at the site, too! You're right that the product title is #wearbees; luckily, the T-shirt itself has it correctly spelled.

1450089149_ScreenShot2019-05-17at12_15_13PM.thumb.png.95044963d5b8368ac8e720cc096a36b0.png

God dammit!  Why can't anything be accurate any more?  I actually tried to see the back of the shirt because I really did remember WEAREBEES, but I couldn't figure out how to do it so I stupidly believed the product description would be spelled correctly. 

Slightly off topic, but I used to have an email address at the domain Texas.net.  I had a friend trying to email me and kept insisting he was typing it right but it wasn't getting delivered, and I finally figured out that he was using TX.net.  Because TX is the same as Texas, right?

Come on, people.  Words matter.  Letters matter.  And it's especially important to get them right in hashtags, FFS.

Thank you, @little black cloud.  

I should probably contact Garo and tell him he should work on his messaging, because I'm back to my original misunderstanding about wearing e-bees.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

27 minutes ago, little black cloud said:

Ha, I was just coming back to post about the We Are Bees vs Wear Bees so I'm glad you guys caught it too!

I would like to add as a PSA to anyone who wants to create hashtags to market their brand/message/company, that's why using capital and lowercase letters can be helpful. #WeAreBees is easier to read than #WEARBEES (I'm still picturing someone wearing a shirt made of bees).

Meanwhile, Hester's shirt is missing an apostrophe.

hester.thumb.jpg.6a8f48194c28dcdfea8b765af7352308.jpg

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 10
47 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Meanwhile, Hester's shirt is missing an apostrophe.

Oh, for crying out loud.  It's vulgar AND poorly punctuated?  And why is "Be" capitalized in the slogan but not "Totally"?

And lest you say, "She's a designer, not a grammarian," the F isn't centered (which I did notice when watching the show, but I'm ashamed to admit I didn't notice the "its").

• Love 24
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

So Kate (the model who usually can't walk worth a damn) did a good job with Tessa's look. It seems she's the only survivor of the plus size model group.

No, that wasn't Kate, it was Asia. Kate was the other plus-sized model, who appears to be gone.

• Like 1
  • Love 17
15 hours ago, dosodog said:

I just don't get how Hester's dress told her cause.

Short skirt, crop top, fluffy jacket.  What am I missing that makes it different than an outfit you can put together from a dept. store?  And highlights gay equality?

I hated this look...it just looked cheap and uninspired. Tulle, crop top and a rainbow. Hester's mediocrity is being propped up by the judges who would have never done so in earlier renditions of this show. Nina, Nina, Nina! What the hell????

• Love 22
(edited)
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Only to look at the shirt on the website and realize I misread it all along, and there's no "e" in the middle, so it's "Wear bees" after all, which I still don't understand.  At least I've cleared up the electronic bees issue.

But you didn't misread it.  I remember as I watched it was WEAREBEES because I thought that was really clever and I thought I might kind of like to buy the shirt. And I have to admit I'm impressed. I fully expected them not to go into plus sizes but they go xs to 5xl.  But now that I know what is being printed says WEARBEES that's not nearly as clever.  

I do agree Hester's was awful and I think she definitely should have gone home.  

I think the judges were kind of dismissive about Garo's look because it was just bees and no personal story.  I didn't hate the bee dress nearly as much as I hated Hesters. 

I love Bishme's model. I think she's the best one there. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 12

I liked Bishme's look, but didn't think it should win.  I likes Sebastian's too, and with the layering technique, and t-shirt probably would have given him the win.  However, I did think large portions of it looked thick, heavy and unmoving, not very graceful. (like the flair thing over the shoulder, and part of the skirt)  It looked like it should move better, but didn't.  I know that's also due to the layering, but I still didn't like it.   As for Garo, I kind of liked it, more than i thought I would, it was just way too stiff.  And I don't mean the bodice which I know was a corset, but the whole thing was way too stiff.  I'd like a little less starch, a little more length, and a little flowiness in the skirt. 

• Love 2

I don't think that this challenge was very original...there is a whole clothing line built on this premise. The jacket that Melania Trump wore that had "I Don't Really Care, Do You?" written on the back of it was made by a company that has sort of cornered the market on this. I forgot the name of the company...maybe someone else knows it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Venny is a lovely man but his design wasn't good at all

It would have made sense if he had the hoodie, which he ran out of time I guess, and then underneath a simple beautifully tailored business dress.   His thing was kind of about judging a person before finding out what's underneath. 

• Love 4

I LOVED what Bishme had on his dress form, although it would not fit the challenge.

Not understanding the love for Hester, my husband--who is getting really good at commenting--said hers looked like something Cindy Lauper would wear. And it did look really cheap. That is clothing that is not going to last a year, you buy it, wear it for fun, then throw it out.

I always wonder what I would design for each challenge, I'm not a designer, that takes a huge amount of creativity, but for a bee outfit I would have gone camp and done a black and white dress with a huge 50's skirt and huge hat. But then, I find myself loving a 1950's/I Love Lucy type style. I would be kicked off PR pretty early.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Well, I was represented, and I somehow managed to notice.  And honestly, how can you not notice, especially when your point is about all skin colors? 

My skin colour wasn't represented and that's why I noticed.  He spent a lot of time talking about wanting to represent ALL skin colours but didn't include DARKER skin colours.  He spends hours with men who are dark skinned so it's not like he's not aware they exist.  And I happen to know that there are lots of dark-skinned Columbians, who happen to catch hell because of that dark skin.

53 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I love Bishme's model. I think she's the best one there. 

She's fantastic. 

• Love 6

I was braced for the exploitation 'cause we get it every season. Some of these contestants have been traumatized but are not above exploiting their own trauma.

Garo's t-shirt was better than his dress. The shirt has a heart full of tiny bees (I think). His cause was my favorite, as I'm an avid gardener. And I coo at the bees in my garden. They have their own bee-appropriate perch in my bird water thingy.

I liked Tessa's cutout "Mine" and I relate.

Not so crazy about Bishme's purple number.

I'm still enjoying the refreshed series. Now can we just get more time for each challenge so we can see less mistakes and more pretty? How about less challenges but more time on each one?

• Love 10
(edited)

I haven't liked Tessa since I met her and she is wearing on my last nerve.  She is very unkind to the models and to her fellow designers.   It seems to me she spends more time critiquing and hanging around the other designers than she does in her own work space.

She can go anytime now

Edited by Tatortot
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Oh, for crying out loud.  It's vulgar AND poorly punctuated?  And why is "Be" capitalized in the slogan but not "Totally"?

And lest you say, "She's a designer, not a grammarian," the F isn't centered (which I did notice when watching the show, but I'm ashamed to admit I didn't notice the "its").

Ha, ha, ha! I have all the same pet peeves as you!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

My skin colour wasn't represented and that's why I noticed.  He spent a lot of time talking about wanting to represent ALL skin colours but didn't include DARKER skin colours.  He spends hours with men who are dark skinned so it's not like he's not aware they exist.  And I happen to know that there are lots of dark-skinned Columbians, who happen to catch hell because of that dark skin.

He was short of fabric.  If he had put less fabric in the skirt he would have had more to layer on - making it darker.  He miscalculated - but because he is so talented otherwise no one called him on it.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I guess I'm not as cynical as I thought I was.  I thought Tessa was genuinely fretting about taking that risk and putting herself and her painful story "out there."  Yes, doing a  sexualized design like that was certainly going to grab attention, and I think she knew that.  But like many of us who extend ourselves out in a fit of bravery and risk taking, there were second thoughts and "OMG, OMG, OMG, I'm not ready....why did I do that? .....  I'm not ready....  They're going to make me talk about it....maybe they won't ask, please don't let them ask....why did I do that?  I'm not ready...." was where Tessa was at.

I do not doubt her genuine pain.

Tessa hasn't won many friends over the past weeks and her admission of her sexual abuse doesn't change that she's been very unpleasant at times.  But it DOES prove that everybody has a story and there's often a reason why people are the way they are.  I admired her courage in telling her story and I really liked her dress.

• Love 21
19 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Bishme is scaring me.

I support Garo's choice of causes because I understand how important bees are to humanity but I REALLY wish he wasn't making a yellow and black dress.  With a CORSET.

The more Garo discloses about himself, the more I wonder why what he's doing in this competition.   This week, for example, we learn he has "a place in the Adirondacks." 

I always thought PR was about struggling or up and coming designers.   If you're boasting you've designed for Beyonce, Madonna, etc., and you have "a place in the Adirondacks," you're not what I would call struggling.

• Love 20
11 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Bingo. "I can't believe I just shared my story" Um, yes you can. You made a design that featured it. You know you were going to be asked about it. Case closed. 

I'm not being unfeeling here, but if you put it out there, don't be shocked if you're asked about it. She knew. She was gunning for the attention and a win for revealing this about herself.

I'll be honest, and I know this is not a popular opinion, but I don't believe Tessa and her "story" of molestation or whatever it was. I think she chose that "cause" because she knew she would get sympathy and not be auf'ed. Based on what I have seen on the show, she is a phony and self promoter.  I am offended that she would claim to be molested to gain advantage in this competition. In my mind, her dress was not appropriate for a woman who claims to have been molested and it was offensive. I know of what I speak. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Hester with  another tortured ‘clown caught in a blender’ look.  Isn’t she precious? Watch, she’s gonna win this thing.  It’s Gretchen 2.0 on acid.

It really is and Hester’s outfit was her regular clothes. 

Mysteries I would like solved include how many suitcases were involved in Hester’s hat collection. I think it might compete well with the number of suitcases “real” housewives need for a two day trip.

• LOL 10
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, millennium said:

The more Garo discloses about himself, the more I wonder why what he's doing in this competition.   This week, for example, we learn he has "a place in the Adirondacks." 

I always thought PR was about struggling or up and coming designers.   If you're boasting you've designed for Beyonce, Madonna, etc., and you have "a place in the Adirondacks," you're not what I would call struggling.

The early seasons of PR featured mostly highly accomplished designers, for example Chris March, Seth Aaron, Cloe Dao, and many others whose names escape me right now. Many had their own lines or their own store. Some worked for big name houses. But, you're right, this season is a bunch of unknown, struggling, uninteresting, untalented designers. I

I know many don't agree, but I really miss Heidi and Tim. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I loved Sebastian’s dress (as I do with most of his designs). 

He did have limited time so he went for a lot of shades and I thought he made his point,  but you are correct in that he did not represent darker shades adequately. I, like Tessa, am on the other extreme where  I am mostly translucent (I burn in florescent lighting) and I wasn’t represented either. Which is much less important than darker shades not being represented given the history of our country. However, I do take umbrage a a previous poster who slammed Tessa about her not being represented in the design. Just because I was born a certain way doesn’t mean I’m an awful human being or don’t care about others who are different than me.

If he had more time, I think he would have done a better representation.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, stormy weather said:

First of all I want to say I apologize in advance for what might be a very unpopular opinion. I respect everyone and their struggles and these are only my personal thoughts on the individuals, not the causes they represented, which are all great and which I wholeheartedly support.

Well, I find Tessa insufferable. The comment she made to Sebastian pointing out she didn't feel represented in his dress because she is ultra white ("very pale and translucent" were her exact words) was just as awful as she is.

I do, hopefully understand where your perspective although I haven’t lived your personal experience. As for Sebastian’s dress - remember that we only see snippets of what goes on. I can’t stand Tessa either, but she was not totally serious and it was only a snippet of what we see that goes on in the workroom.

I am translucent also and I personally thought Sebastian’s dress should have had more darker shades represented. But he only had 2 days to come up with a concept an execute it...

If I was a judge critiquing based on the challenge time and criteria, I would suggest that if he had more time he should have incorporated darker shades not my translucent shade. However, if I was a friend in the workroom, I might have made the same comment   (Not extremely serious)

i know us translucent people have had more advantages and opportunities in this country (which I don’t take for granted) but we still exist.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

I'll be honest, and I know this is not a popular opinion, but I don't believe Tessa and her "story" of molestation or whatever it was.

I believe she said it was a recovered memory--please someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Those always give me pause.  Maybe they should, and maybe they shouldn't.  Just saying how I react to them.

Humans are complicated.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I am translucent also and I personally thought Sebastian’s dress should have had more darker shades represented. But he only had 2 days to come up with a concept an execute it...

He didn't have different shades of fabric. He only had one shade (other than the white) that he layered to create the darker colors. I know he said something about not having enough fabric, so he might not have had enough to layer for the darkest shades.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I believe she said it was a recovered memory--please someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Those always give me pause.  Maybe they should, and maybe they shouldn't.  Just saying how I react to them.

Humans are complicated.

I didn't hear anything about recovered memory. Only that it happened five (?) years ago.

Edited by carrps
added the white
  • Love 2