Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

On 5/3/2017 at 9:04 PM, David T. Cole said:

Was it? Hmmm. I'll double check next record to see what's going on, definitely want to keep those in.

"Get off your ass, Alan Alda!" 

On 5/2/2017 at 2:23 AM, SnideAsides said:

(3) the entirety of the "event series" minus that one episode that was merely mediocre instead of aggravating beyond belief.

Testify!

Was sorta sad to hear Sarah and Dave indicate they did not like Six Feet Under, since, despite its flaws, one of my favorite shows of the "prestige" era. So rare to have a good drama that doesn't focus on a man who either kills or cheats or both. I also hate this episode, but I hate all torture, and why I won't watch Dexter, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Fargo, certain seasons of Breaking Bad, and the list goes on . . .Actually kinda thought TV writers had become desensitized! So nice to hear everyone on the podcast still horrified by this one.

Incest is pretty inevitable when you talk about Noah & his family (or Adam & Eve, come to that). Everyone's going to be related to some degree (though cousin marriage was - and is - allowed in many countries, less sure about uncle/niece marriage).

8 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

GOB Bluth. I mean, he took 4 years of Spanish and lived with a Spanish-language soap actress--he must know the language pretty well. 

(Buster voice) "Hey hermano."

4 hours ago, smmoe1997 said:

Is anyone else having problems downloading this episode?

I was having trouble getting the episode to run initially (see on the Home page under "Bugs") but it's running OK for me now.

If you expand this to children, Meg Griffin on THE FAMILY GUY. Never was there a more legitimate case for family massacre. That poor girl has suffered so much.

Aw crap, I didn't know Sweet/Vicious was canceled until I listened today. For some reason I thought it had a great chance of coming back. It's such a damn good show, Taylor Deardon is so damn funny and the two leads play off each other so well. They had more story to be told dogdamnit! I don't know most shows that are on that channel but I'm sure Sweet/Vicious written a hell of a lot better than most.
I'm hoping it gets picked up by another network, I would love to see it on Netflix, there's a million new shows on there already, what's one more that's GREAT already!
Since it's not streaming on the MTV site or on Demand anymore, I'll just buy the eps....I never do that so you know it has to be good.

Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs goes and takes over Survivor.  He has an infinite number of "You think this is tough?  I've done ______" comebacks at his disposal.

Jeff Probst goes on to do The Apprentice.  It's exactly like his current gig except the women aren't wearing bikinis. Expect Rupert and Russell to the win the first two seasons.

That means Donald Trump goes on to do Dirty Jobs, because we could all stand to see him waist deep in shit every week.

• Love 4

Let's just enjoy this sentence from David T. Cole again:

"I watched three episodes, because I could not change the channel, because the remote was behind a guy's head, and he was sleeping... and I really wasn't comfortable getting anywhere near him, because he was old, and... y'know, something would've happened..."

This sounds so much like something Kim Reed would say that I think he was possessed by Kim when he said this.

Dave, I'm with you on the Anne credits. For me, the opening credits just add to the confusing tonal shifts throughout the show; it wavers too much between a supposed "grittiness" (to quote several other critics' assertions) and Montgomery's foundational humor and optimism.

I agree, the Anne credits don't match the tone of the show at all. I cringe every time they begin.

In terms of Anne being annoying, it's certainly true, and Alex is right that she gets better as the episodes progress. But I think that's a purposeful reflection of her current state of mind. Her chatter is so much worse when she's feeling uncertain and scared, as in the first episode when she's being taken to a new home and hoping that for once she will be liked or even loved. The more insecure she is, the more annoying. There's an episode where she completely forgets about a pie she's supposed to be watching, instead sinking into one of her Princess Cordelia fantasies, but it's because of her school-related anxiety. The more the outside world is horrible and scary, the more she retreats into her own head or into her stream of consciousness ramblings. When things are going a little better, she finds it tolerable to stay in reality and interact with people in a relatively normal way.

blankPaige hit the nail on the head, Montgomery's optimism is largely missing here. This Marilla seems to always be on the verge of tears. I was glad she got a good cry in when Gilbert's dad died, but she's holding back tears in almost every episode. Both she and Anne seem to be lacking that core strength and pride Montgomery gave them that allows them to hold their heads high when the townsfolk are being assholes.

I actually like this Rachel Lind, and her relationship with Marilla, more than in the original series. It's more apparent why they've been friends for so long.

Overall, I like it. I'll always love the original more, and this isn't something I'm going to watch more than once, but I'm enjoying it.

The trouble with President Palmer was he was too ready to trust Sherry Palmer - even after they divorced. It was her actions that brought him down in the end. President Logan was too much of a weak reed - if I wanted an EVIL President, I'd go with somebody evil AND competent like Frank Underwood (or the Mark 1 version, Prime Minister Francis Urquhart).

But for me, if I was choosing a fictional President, it would have to be President Bartlet (The West Wing). Oh for the days when you could describe a President as principled without being ironic...

Just want to add that I thought Alex was a great valued guest, haven't watched Anne, but her review made me want to watch, and loved her commentary on Six Feet Under. I hope her Gross Equalize Challenge goose eggs don't scare her off from returning to the show!

Win Ben Stein's money - Ben Stein should do Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Terry Cruise should do Jeopardy!
Jeopardy! - Alex Trebek should do Win Ben Stein's money

This fall, on Siffy. Four strangers are transported to a bizarre land where they are now the lowest rung on the food chain. Together, they journey down a multicoloured path to what they hope is freedom, finding many hostile environments and inhuman creatures behind the land's sugary facade. Life is cheap, but victory is sweet in.... Candy Land.

• Love 1