Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Eddie Spaghetti Crane on FRASIER because he would look at his human's sons, Niles and Frasier Crane, and they would just wither. Could they tell a Jack Russell Terrier had utter contempt for them? "I lick myself and eat my own poop, but I'm STILL your dad's favorite!"

14 hours ago, itainttippithebird said:

Strongly believe that So You Think You Can Prance and It's Always Sunny in Foal-adelphia absolutely fit the clue and were cruelly denied!!!

[ETA: ok, SYTYCD is in LA not NYC, so fine, but Foal-adelphia totally works and I stand by it!]

Not to mention that 'filly' is a term for young /female/ horses, so you can even argue that Foal-adelphia makes more sense!

The syncing for Jeff was bad in this one, to the point where there's a loooooong pause after Dave cues Jeff, and then I miss the animal that Sarah picks, because Jeff is still talking.

Tara, so glad you talked and wrote about Better Call Saul's fan service. I am also not enamored of Breaking Bad: The Prequel; I'm here for Jimmy/Saul. But the comment boards are rife with "Squee!! I saw the chair that was in the diner where Walt ate breakfast at minute 39:43 in Season 3, Episode 9. And Lydia! OMG I hope this show tells us her story!" No. Just No. Not in this show. I am not a crackpot.

My first thought is the Bachelorette live would be pretty terrible, but I fear they would be able to manage the people quick enough to get some drama (even if losing most of  the power of editing). So I will go with the Flash, because missing the 10% of the show which is special effects, just leaves the 90% of pep talks and keeping secrets).

Nina Theroux from Alphas. Her (we are not allowed to call it) mutant ability is to mentally "push" people to do whatever she wants. I have a feeling this power will lead to high jinks, once she confirms no one is there for the right reasons.

(edited)

A cold cap is a real thing in chemotherapy - the cold temperatures cause the blood vessels to the crown to constrict and so less of the poisonous chemo chemicals go to hair follicles and cause them to die off. I presume it's simple availability & cost that means it's not universally available (it is essentially a cosmetic measure rather than a medical one).

Some info. It can also be fairly uncomfortable (no personal experience, just reading around)

And not that Dave Points aren't entirely at Dave's discretion (and were reset in any case post this episode), but I would have thought the Dave who devised this week's Game time was Dave point worthy!

Edited by John Potts

A cold cap is a real thing in chemotherapy - the cold temperatures cause the blood vessels to the crown to constrict and so less of the poisonous chemo chemicals go to hair follicles and cause them to die off. I presume it's simple availability & cost that means it's not universally available (it is essentially a cosmetic measure rather than a medical one).

Yes, it's cost and availability. I was in chemo in 2013 and 2014, and it was offered to me. I opted not to because it was several thousand dollars, and is extremely uncomfortable physically, and doesn't guarantee you'll preserve your hair. My shortest infusion was three hours. I did twelve weeks where they took ten hours each. Having an ice cold thing encasing my head for that long sounded like hell, especially since there's no guarantee it will actually work. It was available at Stanford if I wanted it, but not at the other infusion center I used for 20 weeks.

The double Dave-Hate segments reminded me: Have you guys ever talked about how the "Will Dave Hate This" song came to be? I've always found it to be a really catchy, fun tune, and I'd love to know more -- Is it based on another song? How did you record it (i.e. why does Tara's voice sound far away/old timey)? What are those lyrics?
Thanks!

Forgive me if this has been talked about before, as I did not hear the first These Are The Daves I Know, but I really think not calling it Daves of our Lives is a missed opportunity.

Also, it's shocking that I am now a year older than George Wendt was in the first season of Cheers. And no one believes me when I tell them this, but hand to God I once saw George Wendt jogging down the street, back in the late 90's, He and my family are from the same neighborhood and his sister still lives there, so I'm 99% certain it was him.

Darkton Abbey. The show is revealed not to be set in the early 20th Century, but in a 23rd Century post Apocalyptic world. With great foresight, the 17th Earl had managed to place it in a radiation proof bubble, which it has existed in ever since.

Question for Kim Reed, did Michael Landon have a thing about little people? I distinctly remember a Little House episode in which Harriet is a bitch to a little person who is or used to be in the circus.

Prequel to Life on Mars featuring a proto Gene Hunt in the 1960's. It would need a David Bowie title, so let's go with The London Boys, which appears to be his first career single (1966) and is an appropriate sounding title and of the time period. Either that or The Laughing Gnome, which would also be appropriately bizarre.

Ewan McGregor could star as the young Gene Hunt. Maybe for a change a cop gets his or her bell rung and wakes up in the future that is the 1960's. So a 1888 detective on the trail of Jack the Ripper gets knocked out and wakes up in the 1960's as a young, headstrong detective. Hijinks ensue.

So, my mom/best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 months ago and she sailed through everything.  But I kept crying throughout this season because it handled the terror exactly like we did. Light hearted flippant conversation because that's how we process. So this portrayal on Playing House Rang so true for my experience. She didn't want me at the hospital because it would make it a Big Deal. I have so much respect for addressing the instinct to treat it like any other roadblock while also being freaked out at the implications.

That being said, I thought this season was a bit erratic in tone. I binge watched 1-3 over the last week and 3 was really missing a solid story arc in comparison. Mark was on the periphery; he was previously an important piece of the puzzle. I still loved every second of this season though. I don't think I could ever dislike anything these ladies offer me.

On 6/29/2017 at 4:30 PM, Kerfuffler said:

Question for Kim Reed, did Michael Landon have a thing about little people? I distinctly remember a Little House episode in which Harriet is a bitch to a little person who is or used to be in the circus.

I think that one is coming up later this season and it features Billy Barty. I don't know if it was Landon's prejudice so much as the prejudices of the time, but I will keep an eye on it!

I just binged a bunch of Minis, and your trashing of LOST in this one inspired me to create my first profile. I am pretty sure I'm screaming into the abyss (no one else is on this episode thread, after all), and you are certainly not alone in your hatred of LOST, so I'm not attacking you guys in particular (actually, I'm not really attacking anyone), but here is a bit of a Danifesto on the subject (cuz my real name is Dan, so...is this thing on?). I originally put it in my profile page, but I decided to share it here, too. It made me feel better to get this off my chest:

LOST doesn't suck. There, I said it. It wasn't perfect, but it was innovative and exciting, like nothing on TV, before or since. LOST was on the air around the dawn of podcasting, and by the end of the series, I was listening to at least 4 different LOST-related podcasts each week. I couldn't wait to hear people's theories, as well as learn about Easter eggs I may have missed in that week's episode. By the last few seasons, I began having some of my friends over to watch each episode together. I usually MST3K'd my way through it (though not in a disrespectful way--I just like to make jokes during TV shows), but no one seemed to mind. A group of 10 or so of us watched the final episode at my house (after completing a LOST trivia quiz that I put together). The ending came and went...and we all looked at each other and went..."Huh?" It was hard to wrap our brains around what had just happened. The next day, I watched the finale again, knowing what I didn't know when I watched it the first time. SPOILER ALERT: Besides the mythology (some of which was resolved well, some of it not), the show was ultimately about being part of a community, creating a society with the people you were put together with through circumstances (usually beyond your control). I thought about the super-fans I silently bonded with through the podcasts. I thought about the friends that I grew closer to through our LOST-watching parties. And I cried like a baby. If that makes me weird, so be it. Your mileage may vary, but I will not be convinced that LOST was a waste of my time. P.S. They were not dead all along (stupid ABC and their end-credit footage of the plane wreckage!). (/rant)

BTW, I do enjoy the podcast. Keep up the good work!

• Love 1

As a Trekkie, I feel Dave's Star Trek question deserves an answer:

Fuck Discovery. Not seen it yet, don't want to commit a long term relationship, don't mind giving it a couple of minutes an hour of my time.

Marry Badger's spec script. It sounded fine, from what I recall.

Kill ST-TNG's The Game. I actually like the episode, but I could bear to lose it. 

• Love 1

The whole idea that children need to be protected from (Gasp!) hearing swearwords has clearly never actually heard any kids speaking - they LOVE to swear. Maybe parental controls should be put on to prevent the parents hearing them? Bunch of melon-fudging Poochies!

I keep thinking I ought to watch Cat-astrophe, but I've never got round to it, despite thinking most of the clips I've heard were funny. I've also never watched Prime Suspect 1973, mostly thanks to Meh reviews.

So the "villain" in GLOW is the promoter? Totally not based on Vince McMahon and the WWF then!

4 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

I guess I missed the Dave points kerfuffle during last episode's game time. Would someone please fill me in?

Just that the game itself didn't really matter and Sarah got 2 points and VG 1 simply for having the most Dave points to date.

Download link is missing the file extension.

On swearing and parenting: Australia has the perfect solution of an opt-out system, where TV shows have warnings before they start (and in miniature after every commercial break) for any potentionally objectionable content (swearing, people getting their dicks out, Gordon Ramsay, the nebulous category of 'adult themes'), plus a classification system that delineates between adult content so that more severe stuff (the American Horror Storys and the Game of Throneses and the The Sopranoses) has to be broadcast later at night while low-level stuff (the Melrose Places and the Losts and the The X-Fileses) can be shown from 8:30.