Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

This does seem very familiar, because I was about to post exactly the same thing again (but didn't).

Still say the Scrubs musical episode is better than the Buffy one - the songs are just more memorable (#Everything Comes down to Poo!#)

• Love 1

Cersei really is a terrible ruler. Not only did she blow up a big piece of her capital in order to avoid facing trial, she alienated the Tyrells, leaders of the most fertile region of Westeros. As Jaime pointed out, her subjects are going to have a tough time managing low supplies of food during the winter.

• Love 1

I can't believe it will be anyone other than Jon Snow who ultimately wins the Game of Thrones: he's the lost heir who's come back from the dead. I suspect he'll marry his aunt Danerys (whether he knows the relationship or not) and she'll die in childbirth (like her mother before her). Who do I want to win? Starting to root for the White Walkers (the good characters are too dumb, the smart characters are too evil - and hey, the White Walkers were there probably there first), so #TeamNightsKing!

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Portia said:

Aren't Dany and Jon just first cousins?

No - assuming Jon is Rhaegar (and Lyanna's) son, Dany is his aunt, which I'm pretty sure is illegal in most places (Dany was a LOT younger than her brother, as he had heirs of his own at the time of her birth). Not a problem for the Targaryens though, since they practiced brother/sister incest.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, John Potts said:

No - assuming Jon is Rhaegar (and Lyanna's) son, Dany is his aunt, which I'm pretty sure is illegal in most places (Dany was a LOT younger than her brother, as he had heirs of his own at the time of her birth). Not a problem for the Targaryens though, since they practiced brother/sister incest.

Whoops--showing my ignorance.  Thanks for schooling me! 

So much good dancing on tv! My favorite is Hal and Lois on Malcolm in the Middle, in the episode where Lois is taking ballroom dance lessons. It's just so sweet that he sees her as graceful as she sees herself, even though the reality is that they are both terrible dancers.

As for tv musical episodes, I always thought the Buffy episode was the start of the trend, and its success lead everyone else to think they needed to do one too?

(edited)

I am also a former library employee and I found Sam's shelving scenes maddening! Why are they storing chained books on the same shelf as unchained books? Where are the tables/shelves for reading the chained books, which seem to be on very short chains? Why aren't the special forbidden maester books chained up?

And anyways half the point of a chained library is that you don't have to reshelve!

Worst chained library since Doctor Strange!*

*(In which the chains seemed to be basically little book seatbelts, not actually locked or attached to the books.)

Edited by mskyle
  • Love 2

I always feel like such an outcast when I proclaim my dislike of Game of Thrones. Everyone i know seems to love it, even the bookish girls who worship Anne of Green Gables. So it's always comforting to hear that Sarah and Tara don't watch it, I feel validated! I thought Tara's comment about the entire episode feeling like a bunch of meetings was spot on about most of the series. And I gave the show a good chance, watched the first three seasons. My husband still watches, so i catch a bit here and there. To me, it feels like watching The Young and the Restless, a lot of stilted, dull dialogue between two people standing still in a room with very little wit, except sometimes from Tyrion, and very little heart.

But, since I am a twitter and podcast addict, I do try to keep up vaguely with what's happening, so I am not completely out of the nationsl conversation.

Has anyone read or written a really clever good takedown of the show? Would love to read one. 

I know you probably don't really care, @David T. Cole, but not only do Murdoch Mysteries and Republic of Doyle exist in basically the same universe, they actually had a quasi-crossover. The ancestor of RoD's lead character (played by the same actor) turned up on Murdoch Mysteries for an episode, and not long after, the descendant of MM's lead showed up on RoD. The episode plots didn't really have anything to do with each other, but the climax of both episodes took place in the same location, and a few of the action beats in those scenes paralleled each other.

Surely, in the Baywatch-verse, being young & pretty = life worth living, being old & fat = kill yourself. You can't say they're inconsistent about that. But I would have loved it if Mitch had been run down by Goliath (Garthe Knight)!

Never watched Murdoch Mysteries (I think I've seen occasionally on UK schedules), but why would anyone think building a faux Nessie would REDUCE tourism? It's the foundation of Invernness' tourist industry!

It would be a scurrilous rumour to suggest I only include names like Zeliko Ivanek (with some accents) or Raxicorifallipatorios purely to hear how Dave mangles them.

In answer to Dave's question, the inventor of the Frisbee was indeed named Frisbee. Or Frisbie - he was a baker, whose pie plates were then turned into a toy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisbie_Pie_Company I think I went to college with one of his great-grandchildren? I can't remember why I actually knew that.

I feel like Murdoch Mysteries sounds like the kind of show that, if I were in high school, I would love to get high and watch with my friends - it's not good, but its wholesomeness can be fun, in a gently mocking kind of way. 

Angie Tribeca I really like, but because so many of the jokes are visual, I feel like it's something I have to really pay attention to even though it's so, so stupid. So it's not a great binge show, but it's a very good take a break from everything and laugh for 22 minutes show.

#TeamRaisin 

Stephanie - I grew up off of 15 Mile Rd!  And I love Boston Coolers.  They are the best.  And yes, Detroit Coney's are different, too.  I love it all.

I actually grew up off Maple, which I guess is technically 15.5 Mile Road? (I'm from Birmingham). Woo hoo Metro Detroit!

2 minutes ago, eteffi said:

I actually grew up off Maple, which I guess is technically 15.5 Mile Road? (I'm from Birmingham). Woo hoo Metro Detroit!

Maple is 15 mile.  All the "Mile" roads get renamed in Oakland County, iirc.  Although, Maple may be a little different.  There were some oddities. FYI, I was in Macomb County, Sterling Hts specifically.  

9 hours ago, John Potts said:

It would be a scurrilous rumour to suggest I only include names like Zeliko Ivanek (with some accents) or Raxicorifallipatorios purely to hear how Dave mangles them.

Dave actually has said Raxacoricofallapatorius on the podcast before - it was one of the planets in the "Is this a Doctor Who alien or planet?" round in the first Is This Anything? game.

So glad Father Ted made it into the Canon! I submitted the version of the video from the dream to KODTTM but it didn't get used. It's such a delightfully bizarre show at that times, like the fact that they share a dream, and this fact just goes un-commented on? One of my very favourite clips for cheering myself up is Ted trying to explain perspective to Dougal:

Sadly, Dermot Morgan, who plays Ted, died very young. They were contemplating a fourth series at the time, after originally planning to end with the third.

The show is largely written by Graham Lineham, who also wrote Black Books and The IT Crowd, and therefore is responsible for some of my favourite comedy ever. He also used to write a hilarious column for the film mag Neon, and I just found them all scanned here. They are all pretty wonderful:  https://neonmagazinescans.wordpress.com/category/graham-linehan/page/2/

7 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Dave actually has said Raxacoricofallapatorius on the podcast before - it was one of the planets in the "Is this a Doctor Who alien or planet?"

I think I included it in my "America, the World and Beyond!" Game, as well. I can be a cruel question setter at times! 

4 hours ago, helent said:

So glad Father Ted made it into the Canon! I submitted the version of the video from the dream to KODTTM but it didn't get used. It's such a delightfully bizarre show at that times, like the fact that they share a dream, and this fact just goes un-commented on? One of my very favourite clips for cheering myself up is Ted trying to explain perspective to Dougal:

Sadly, Dermot Morgan, who plays Ted, died very young. They were contemplating a fourth series at the time, after originally planning to end with the third.

The show is largely written by Graham Lineham, who also wrote Black Books and The IT Crowd, and therefore is responsible for some of my favourite comedy ever. He also used to write a hilarious column for the film mag Neon, and I just found them all scanned here. They are all pretty wonderful:  https://neonmagazinescans.wordpress.com/category/graham-linehan/page/2/

Yes, I didn't have time to mention the untimely death of Dermot Morgan. Frank Kelly, who played Father Jack, recently passed away, too (on the same day as Morgan, which is weird). Good old Ardal O'Hanlon is the only one of the trio still kicking around (and Pauline McLynn, of course). I also love Graham Lineham's comedy. I'm so glad we have three seasons of Father Ted to cherish!

4 minutes ago, eteffi said:

Yes, I didn't have time to mention the untimely death of Dermot Morgan. Frank Kelly, who played Father Jack, recently passed away, too (on the same day as Morgan, which is weird). Good old Ardal O'Hanlon is the only one of the trio still kicking around (and Pauline McLynn, of course). I also love Graham Lineham's comedy. I'm so glad we have three seasons of Father Ted to cherish!

Father Ted is one of those shows where, if I'm browsing through channels and it happens to be on, I'll often stop there and leave it on. Same with The IT Crowd... those shows can just make me chuckle anytime.

Like most Canadians, I don't watch a lot of Canadian TV -- I've made it through maybe one episode of Murdoch Mysteries -- but I LOVE the plot. It's so Toronto that someone would be freaking out about people using the beaches. Just this week the Toronto Star had an article about residences of The Beache(s) (City calls them one thing, they insist on calling themselves something else) being up in arms about a kayak kiosk being an eyesore. Because Lake Ontario belongs to the home owners.

Using Murdoch Mysteries to point out that people who live near the Beaches have always been exclusionary wingnuts is both hilarious and crazy passive aggressive.

I was excited to see Angie Tribeca's Beach Blanket Sting-O get featured - I've been catching up on the series this summer and saw that episode a few weeks ago. I keep saying "I'm not saying I'm gay or a necrophiliac, but if I was, I certainly wouldn't tell you guys" probably much to the chagrin of my husband.

6 hours ago, David T. Cole said:

Hmmmmm.

Don't tease me, Dave. My heart can't tale it. (Also: I strongly feel the terminology should be "Force for Good" and "Force for Evil.")

2 hours ago, StatMom said:

Wasn't it Stephanie who was (accidentally) Forcened by Dave to watch Dorf on Golf? I feel like she should get a revenge Forcening for Dave.

I think that was Stephanie Cangro (and it wasn't a forcening per se but rather placeholder text for a mini that didn't get replaced).