Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/7/2017 at 0:44 PM, Monty said:

Speaking of Lucy Liu Flu:

SUCH a blast from the past! Back in the 1.0 days Tara and Dave played this for Joe!

(And I couldn't remember what the podcast was, so sorry if I was stepping on your reference.)

Edited by J0nas3
Mea culpa
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2017 at 7:16 PM, Halo said:

I want to know where Dave thinks Wyoming is if North Carolina is a "close" guess. 

I thought he was saying Omar was close to getting the extra points, since he got 2 questions right. If he had gotten Wyoming right, he would have won that challenge.

So, so excited for the all game time podcast! I signed up to play, but I'm more excited about playing along with the episodes. Game Time is my favorite part of EHG.

• Love 2

The God of Newfoundland, Lord Thundering (or, as we locals call him, "Lahrd T'underin'"), who ensures safe passage over the ocean, and who ensured the fish in the seas were plentiful, at least until he was forced into semi-retirement about 20 years ago. To this day, many a Newfoundlander raises his arms to the heavens and shouts, "Lahrd T'underin', where's all the fish at, b'y?" And, of course, he's played by legendary Newfoundland actor Gordon Pinsent.

On 6/7/2017 at 5:08 PM, jima said:

Really? They used the Laughing Record for the credits?

The record is from 1923, which totally makes sense that they used it in a series about 1970s standup comedy....

I knew I had heard this somewhere before! I think my stepgrandfather used to play it for us. 

Loved the Hinterland Who's Who music! Naturally it follows that my Canadian god would be the Common Loon, played by Donald Trump, because he is both common and a loon (neither in the good sense).

Hi All,

Sorry, not sure how this works. I remembered seeing Old Milwaukee commercials featuring lobster in the 80's. Here is one, beginning at minute 1.03.

That sparked my memory--that was part of a whole series of Old Mil commercials, all centered around fishing (and other outdoorsy stuff like skiing, white water rafting, airboating, and log-rolling, sure why not) in great American locales, with almost the exact same script, ending with something like "Hey guys, it doesn't get any better than this."

A few others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzIEHkHrc8 (Cape Hatteras, NC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQb8qeQ_gA (Snake River, WY)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjKzkVqNN4o (Crow Wing, MN)

I propose an ongoing webseries in which, through the magic of greenscreen, Scrubs' Dr. Cox is on the Enterprise giving Ensign Wesley Crusher a withering rant at one thing or another. Just two minutes an episode of John C. McGinley giving Wesley the business and calling him girls' names.  

Dylan McKay as Dr. Julian Bashir from DS9. I've liked Alexander Siddig post Star Trek work, but back in the day I would dismiss him as a guy who should have been on 90210 instead. Dylan's low energy would hopefully make Bashir less annoying.

5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I propose an ongoing webseries in which, through the magic of greenscreen, Scrubs' Dr. Cox is on the Enterprise giving Ensign Wesley Crusher a withering rant at one thing or another. Just two minutes an episode of John C. McGinley giving Wesley the business and calling him girls' names.  

Yes. Star Trek: Jessica but the subtitle changes every week.

(edited)

I recall a comment saying when I did my theme song quiz, "Dammit, that was my idea!" - I guess that was this Game Time (it's happened to me before now - I've got a couple in the tank that I'm hoping won't get pre-empted). Was there a Flash (Aaa-aaah!) TV show, because that was the film's title song? Also, there were WAY too many that had me going, "I know this... with the thing in the cup and he kisses the woman....what is it!?"

Also, I think I've become a horrible person, because I used to be glad when user submissions made it, now I keep wanting them to fail (yes, it's sour grapes, but you can tell almost from the start of the discussion which way the Canon vote is going to go once you look out for it). Wasn't it Gore Vidal who said, "Don't try to keep up with the Joneses  - drag them down to your level, it's a lot easier"? Or was his one, "It's not enough to succeed, others must be seen to fail"? Either way, it was all about schadenfreude.

Edited by John Potts

I want to agree with the recommendation of iZombie. As much as I enjoyed Steve Weber in the first two seasons, dropping Max Rager really opened up the storytelling possibilities - instead of focusing on where the zombies are coming from, now it's what they're actually up to in the world. And they are up to some crazy stuff!

I would also say that, while the Veronica Mars similarities are inevitable, what it most reminds me of is the 4th season of Angel - there's just plot building on plot on plot, and it may not all pay off, sense-wise, but it's clear that everyone involved is having a lot of fun.

So, @Sarah D. Bunting, how do you really feel about your "winner of the week"? :-D

LOVE the Barney Miller canon submission!  I agree the show holds up very well.  As for who's dead - 4 are still alive: Hal Lindon, Max Gail, Gregory Sierra and Barbara Barrie.  And, Abe Vigoda and Ron Glass died just last year.  

That was a really great canon submission! I'd always avoided Barney Miller - I was a little bit young when it originally aired, and always associated it with Hill Street Blues (which was an upsetting show for a child to have watched accidentally one time.) But this episode sounds very entertaining, and I'm excited to check it out.

As for the beer & seafood ads, was Old Milwaukee investing in the commercial seafood industry? Did they have some kind of deal with parks department? It just seems like such a weird theme to build a series of ads around.

(edited)

Strongly believe that So You Think You Can Prance and It's Always Sunny in Foal-adelphia absolutely fit the clue and were cruelly denied!!!

[ETA: ok, SYTYCD is in LA not NYC, so fine, but Foal-adelphia totally works and I stand by it!]

Edited by itainttippithebird
37 minutes ago, itainttippithebird said:

Strongly believe that So You Think You Can Prance and It's Always Sunny in Foal-adelphia absolutely fit the clue and were cruelly denied!

I had "Eyrie, Indiana" as an alternative to "Freaks & Beaks", though as I've never seen either show, other parts of the clue might rule it out.

Hooray for Barney Miller! While listening today I realized why I named one of my imaginary friends "Barney". Because my parents watched this show religiously and I was -2 when it started and 6 when it ended.

I have to raise my hand sheepishly as someone who hasn't watched Breaking Bad, but loves Better Call Saul. I started the first season with my husband and after a few episodes needed a break from the darkness. He kept watching and I didn't. I think it says a lot about how good these characters and stories are that I can watch and not need to know what the sequel to all of this is. However, now I do want to watch Breaking Bad.