Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

A big amen and hallelujah to that NONAC submission. I've been hoping that one would be submitted for a long time. I didn't do it myself because I'm not sure I could sit through the episode again. I absolutely love this show, and periodically rewatch it, but I always skip this episode.

It was supposed to be the catalyst for David's story arc and character development for the remainder of the series, but this was such a stupid way to set that in motion. Plus I never believed David would have stopped for that guy, since he was transporting someone back to the funeral home. In the first season he was furious with Nate for stopping off to have a drink with Brenda on his way back with someone, and gave him an extremely detailed, up close and personal description of what had happened to that person sitting in the van, out in the hot sun, for an extra hour. So I always thought it was completely out of character for him to have stopped in the first place. OMG. Stupid, stupid, terrible episode.

My runner-up is Phineas Gage, the man who survived an iron bar being blown through his skull.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage  Things didn't go great for him after the accident, possibly due to parts of his brain being, you know, missing.  

But my #1 choice would be an examination of the doctor-patient relationship of Dr. William Beaumont and "hunter-turned-living-science-experiment" Alexis St. Martin.  http://www.radiolab.org/story/197149-holey-cow/  Here's a summary from Radio Lab:  "In 1822, an accidental shooting left St. Martin with a hole in his gut that wouldn't heal, but didn't kill him either. Instead, the opening gave Dr. Beaumont a one-of-a-kind window into the human body. And the strange relationship that developed between doctor and patient changed the way we understand digestion." 

Couple thoughts:

1) The West Wing: "Two Cathedrals" or "Shibboleth" or hell most of season two remains great television. But then there's say, "Isaac and Ishmael" or anything in the White House after season four that is just utter garbage.
2) Buffy. Fairly self-explanatory, hell, there are probably even consecutive episodes that make sense in this category, especially if you think "Once More With Feeling" was a peak episode.
3) I'll go off board with Survivor: on the one hand, the episode in Fiji where Edgardo is booted remains the most entertaining hour of reality TV ever. On the other hand, Richard Hatch sexually assaults Sue.

I'm rereading the Handmaid's Tale right now because I am a sadist. (Read it by law as a high school kid in Canada.) Anyway, the newest edition (must be early 2017 or late late 2016 at the earliest) that I got from the library on my Kobo has a new foreword from Margaret Atwood. I'd highly recommend it. She basically says that it wasn't a prediction, but a hope to stop the possibility but looking at how the world is now, it's even more important. And she mentions that she is in the scene with the aunts on the show but she never mentions another scene. So I think it must not be her in the publishing house. 

I am personally offended by The X-Files being mentioned in this mini without actually being considered. Because... seriously. The same show that gave us Squeeze and Irresistible and Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and Home and Memento Mori and Bad Blood and How the Ghosts Stole Christmas also gave us (1) a virtual-reality episode featuring Constance Zimmer that somehow seemed to pre-Gamergate Gamergate by about fifteen years, (2) Bud Bundy getting killed by Ben from Lost in the Brady Bunch house this is a thing that actually happened, and (3) the entirety of the "event series" minus that one episode that was merely mediocre instead of aggravating beyond belief.

If I was going Trek, I'd probably offer DS9 for the greats like Duet or In the Pale Moonlight (both Canon Submissions) but also the Godawful Profit and Lace and Let He Who Is Without Sin.

I only watched Six Feet Under when it aired, and I remembered every second of that horrible episode as she went through it for the Nonac. Excellent presentation, so deserved. Ugh. 

Not that anyone's interested at this point, but I just remembered the TV show line that has most come in handy to me in real life.  It's from The Office (U. S.) and was spoken by Jim about Dwight:  "This is the smallest amount of power I have ever seen go to someone's head."  Seriously--so useful. And it always gets a big "IKR?" response.

My first thought was BSG (with the episodes the David T. Cole said), but since that is taken, I'll go with Torchwood. Season 3 "Children of Earth" is as good as Sci Fi has ever been on tv, it's outstanding! And then there is everything else, I found the first 2 season pretty unwatchable, and the 4th season set in America (Miracle Day), was truly awful.

Regarding Game Time, I did mean to say that knowing the names of the victims didn't always help. If there were any doubles, it was accidental (I always aim for that, don't always succeed). And sorry if I inadvertently allowed some Britishisms into the descriptions - I do try to avoid them, but they can slip through.

Spoiler for the Game Time result:

Spoiler

Sarah - you're welcome!

Maybe just because I've been watching a lot of it lately, but Doctor Who is pretty variable.  Not just in the long run (where you pretty much have 100% turnover in cast and crew every few years) but even within seasons you can have some of the most poignant and thoughtful science fiction ever on TV within a few episodes of absolute gibberish.

I was thinking more along the lines of The Sopranos -- which was sooo amazing the first three years, then kind of started believing its own hype and toward the end gave us some crap- like Christophuh goes to Hollywood.

Or possibly Mad Men, which gave us "Shut the Door, Have a Seat" which was such an amazing payoff to three seasons worth of stories-- but also gave us "The Crash" in Season 6 (the one where everyone does drugs and Cosgrove tap dances)

I LOVE that EHG puts episode rundown times in the show description.  However, two of the last three weeks it hasn't been there.  Please don't tell me you're eliminating the small feature that is so valuable!

On 5/3/2017 at 3:30 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

I LOVE that EHG puts episode rundown times in the show description.  However, two of the last three weeks it hasn't been there.  Please don't tell me you're eliminating the small feature that is so valuable!

Was it? Hmmm. I'll double check next record to see what's going on, definitely want to keep those in.

9 hours ago, Monty said:

I don't think there's a better answer than The Simpsons. Incredible highs, incredible lows.

I agree.  Just by sheer volume it'd have to be The Simpsons. They created The Canon originally to highlight the best Simpsons episodes. And there's a podcast solely devoted to figuring out what is actually the worst Simpsons episode (Worst episode ever) that is currently running and at 101 episodes long.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, Kerfuffler said:

I always thought that it was Sarah doing the "Yeah" and "Nope" from winner and loser of the week!

Me too! Though having heard Sarah & Mark (Blakenship, holder of the Blankenship Chair) consistently fail to co ordinate saying "...and this is Mark & Sarah talk about songs!" at the end of each episode of MASTAS, I should have been more suspicious of how well timed it was.

Rosita, la Monstrua de las Cuevas from Sesame Street. Yes that's the light blue Muppet's full name. It means Rosita, the Monster from the Caves. http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Rosita?file=Rosita2.jpg <--- her.

On 5/3/2017 at 8:40 AM, Kip said:

My first thought was BSG (with the episodes the David T. Cole said), but since that is taken, I'll go with Torchwood. Season 3 "Children of Earth" is as good as Sci Fi has ever been on tv, it's outstanding! And then there is everything else, I found the first 2 season pretty unwatchable, and the 4th season set in America (Miracle Day), was truly awful.

I actually feel the opposite about Torchwood. I like seasons 1 & 2 but despise season 3. I stopped watching after that.

On 5/3/2017 at 4:40 PM, BobH said:

Maybe just because I've been watching a lot of it lately, but Doctor Who is pretty variable.  Not just in the long run (where you pretty much have 100% turnover in cast and crew every few years) but even within seasons you can have some of the most poignant and thoughtful science fiction ever on TV within a few episodes of absolute gibberish.

Yep, Doctor Who was my first thought for this. There are other examples for either end, but mine are "Blink" and "Love and Monsters".

(edited)

It's for damn sure the kids on Malcolm in the Middle would have been better behaved with Walter White as their dad. Although I'm guessing Reese would have probably become a meth addict. Lois would have been a wiz at laundering drug money, and certainly less annoying than Schuyler.

Edited by sacrebleu

Well, he's bigger than a pair of kittens, but my older daughter's Belgian Shepherd is named Munch! He's also known as the "fun police"--he stops the other dogs if they get too silly or boisterous.