Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I assure you, anyone who's followed CBS's attempts to make The Amazing Race more social-media-friendly (read: hashtags and selfies in place of character development) over the past two years to counteract its shitty timeslot are not shocked at all - at all - by how much of a disaster CBS All Access has been.

*whispers* I like CBS All Access! NCIS is one of my "bill paying/on in the background" shows and they have the new episodes up right after they air so I don't have to wait for Netflix... also because I became a Big Brother live feeds junkie over the summer. We use it through the app on our Fire Stick and Roku so it's on the actual TV. And sometimes on the phone during the summer when maybe we would fire it up at a pool party to see who won the HOH competition because we're normal healthy adults. We may also have streamed the live feeds driving both to and from said party. 

4 hours ago, StephanieR said:

Wait, Ben is Frank? I watched 7 seasons of Buffy and 2 of HTGAWM and never put that together. Damn that is some good casting.

So wait. Ben is Glory?

I'm strongly considering buying ad time on the podcast solely to have Dave pronounce a series of old timey baseball names.

Like Tara, I thought In the Woods* was the episode when Buffy & Riley were screwing for the entire episode (which would probably be my vote for the Nonac) - I guess, as a guy, I was just less offended by the sexual politics. It's still an awful episode.

Sometimes I feel that the players should be given a sheet (well, presumably an E-mail) with the rules for the week's Game Time clearly set out, because it was clear that it took several questions before anyone got the idea of how it was meant to work. Still, I'm always pleased when I actually outdo one of the players, though it helps being the same age as Dave & Sarah (probably Tara too, but I don't think she's mentioned her age on air), whereas Eve is somewhat younger and was clearly struggling with the older shows. Age may not bring wisdom, but it does bring more knowledge of what shows were on in the 70s!

And congratulations, Tara!

*Wasn't it Into the Woods? I could google it, but it's just not worth it

You are correct, it's Into the Woods and this big Buffy fan can confirm that without even checking because it's one of my least fives of S5. Yes, I'm one of *those* fans that can tell you what every ep is about by the title... with exception to Season seven because I loathe the majority of eps(they started to run together in my head, yeah...don't won't get started on that season)
anyway, I'm giving it a thumbs down even before listening to the pitch just because I dislike it so much. Anything Riley centric is a resounding Nope! But I'll be interested in hearing why it deserves to make it.

Being of a similar age and similar interests to Dave I DO remember computer magazines that simply printed out code (I'm not quite as nerdy: I only typed out the ones in BASIC). Still remember a simple version of Pac-Man that I typed in by myself (and even modified slightly). 

Not only were there magazines dedicated to code, kids, there were ENTIRE BOOKS containing listings of game programs, usually in BASIC. While this forced everyone to type in the game for him/herself, pretty much every home computer in the 1980s ran BASIC, so the games, if they didn't use computer-specific code, could be ported (and modified to one's content) to pretty much any random home computer brand. 

Here's an example: the first in the BASIC Computer Games series put out by Creative Computing. If the name David H. Ahl means anything to you, then you most likely have a well-worn copy of this book stashed somewhere in your basement. http://atariarchives.org/basicgames/

I remember those BASIC books and magazines (my dad subscribed to a couple when I was in first or second grade and sometimes I would type in programs on our Apple IIc and modify them so that any onscreen text would insult my sister and/or her friends and stuffed animals). In spite of getting such a strong(?) start in STEM that ended up being my only programming experience until I became a software developer in my mid-thirties.

This one is for Dave. I would replace Santa and Scrooge with dogs in the Canadian Tire commercials, to help people give like Santa and save like Scrooge.

As a Marvel reader but not Agents of SHIELD watcher, I was super confused in Game Time by the One Tree Hill mashup with the director of SHIELD, which I thought should be...Maria Hill.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:18 PM, Jesse said:

How dare you. 

(I wish I had more of an explanation here, but not tonight.)

Cosign! Ruffalo > Rudd. He could coast just on You Can Count On Me in my book, but hasn't. I really enjoy him as Bruce Banner, btw. Rudd is cute and funny, but I he doesn't hold a candle to Ruffalo acting-wise, IMHO. Plus he's hotter. 

(edited)
On 3/2/2017 at 11:19 PM, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

Also, attention Kim Reed, who wrote the most hilarious recap of an old Battle of the Network Stars episode as one of her most awesome things I saw on TV last week back in the TWoP days. 

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.tv/AuzQAT-3j_M

Edited by Onfire444
2 hours ago, PatternRec said:

If your taking a bath with Amy Pond why do you need a Tardis? Seems extraneous. :p

Getting a ride on the Tardis is like 3% of the reason I picked her.

You guys. I love you all and have since the way back of the TWOP days, so I know you're good funny people who punch up. So I can only ask: "Dave, are you OK? What's going on?" It's not like any of you to make a joke at the expense of an oppressed group and yet in back to back mini's Dave called a double amputee "a stump of a man" and then said about Phil Collins believing in past lives, "he struggles with depression so you never know what's up with him." while the rest of the room laughed in support. I'm sure you meant to make fun of the respective targets - Bates and Phil Collins - but by invoking disabilities to do it you are punching straight down and I know you know better. Depression does not make your testimony suspect. And having lost two legs, especially since that happens so often to veterans in war, does not render you so invaluable or emasculated that you are a stump or, I mean, come on, a croquet hoop? We've got a president leading the way on this kind of mockery, please don't break my heart by following suit.

I wasn't making light of Phil Collins' depression. Believe me, I'm all too aware of that state of being. I was making light of his redic past lives (which BTW, are always interesting lives, never like a night guardsman) and just remarking the guy has issues beyond it (depression, personal relationship stuff, things that go into a show).

Bates is a terrible TV character who's the recipient of 50% of my bad things happen to TV people scenarios. If turning a shitty Edwardian TV character into a crochet hoop is punching down, punching down has lost all meaning.

I totally see how you intended the Phil collins thing, but you might want to listen back to how it actually came out. The words you used in the off the cuff description gave a different impression. 

How has punching down lost all meaning when you are laughing at a double amputee as a croquet hoop and not the rich assholes or terrible writers who would put him in that position? The joke was literally that he was a "stump of a man."

Please take this as someone who actually *does* have a sense of humor and *is* extending you the benefit of the doubt, I'm not trying to get aggressive or shaming, I'm just trying to say, "Hey, maybe this joke didn't land the way you meant. And the risk/reward for disability jokes are pretty high, so it would bum people out less if you gave this kind of thing a little more thought."

10 hours ago, Kip said:

Getting a ride on the Tardis is like 3% of the reason I picked her.

I'm just saying I wouldn't want to have to split my attention. Can't it be bathtub one night, Tardis the next? 

I have to admit I was a little taken aback by the depression comment in the podcast because it did sound like you were equating "believing in past lives" and "depression" but I'm also a long time fan so I know this isn't a podcast where I hear detrimental things about MI and such. 

Just want to thank you Dave for getting me to look up the wikipedia entry on Starlight Express, otherwise I would never have known that it's basically a coked-up musical ripoff of Thomas the Tank Engine.

7 hours ago, Kip said:

"Wicked" would make a great dramedy.

Or potentially a prequel to Emerald City (maybe.  I'm not watching so I have no idea.)

But I believe I have the actual best answer to this question.  In one word:  Rent.

Hey! I remember Forever! Though I don't think I ever saw it until after it was cancelled.  Ioan Gruffudd (Mr Fantastic in the last but one Film adaptation of Fantastic Four) was the immortal (Henry Morgan), Judd Hirsch played his colleague who was "in the know" about his power - a boy Henry had adopted in Europe during WW2* (he posed as a colleague of Henry's "father" in the present day) and Burn Gorman played the series villain "Adam" (I think he was suggested to have been Jack the Ripper, too, but he was certainly a serial killer).

Really sad I don't get The Americans any more - loved that show.

* It turned out he was distantly related to Henry, in an acknowledgement that "We're all related, if you go back far enough"

Great episode guys! And fun news about the new podcasts. It did remind me, though - is there any chance we'll ever hear the soap opera podcast Sarah D. Bunting and Joe Reid were noodling over a looong while back? As a OLTL fan, I'd love to hear Joe's take on Hos vs. Mos.

Holy blast from the past! I grew up in Madison (graduated HS in 1991), and I am 95% sure I was in a community musical with Bayne Gibby. That name sounds soooo familiar. How cool she is still acting and doing so well! I'll need to ask my mom about her way back when.

The next The Muppet Show should have the Muppets working day jobs (office temp work, retail, serving), and trying to make it. I would really love to see Kermit dealing with his 16 year old boss at hot topic.

But also everyone at Powerless should be working at an Insurance company, Kara from Supergirl should be in University learning how to be a Journalist, and Marge on the Simpson could use a full time job (for real, not another 1 off thing. I think offering daycare out of the house make the most story sense, but an office job would be the more relatable).