Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Chimney Begins

ESS
  • Start Topic

Great episode! I love Chimney's backstory. I teared up when he was talking to Kevin's mother in his new apartment. Don't die, Chimney!  Kenneth Choi is so talented.

Beat the shit out of him, Maddie! Get him for yourself and for Chimney!

• Love 12

I was spoiled, so I knew we aren't seeing his fate until next week. This episode was on the mild side of suspense, but hit the gross factor and the teary factor. I got attached to Kevin pretty quickly and kind of felt he was a gonner.

Very cool direction in the hospital with him bleeding with his hand, and the guy who played Eli was really good.

• Love 8

That was a total let down. I loved the story and more of Chim is always great but when last week’s episode and this week’s episodes both literally ended the same way, I couldn’t appreciate it. At least Hen’s single episode wasn’t when she was dying. I do hope we can see more of Mrs Lee in the future (current) and also we still haven’t learned the origin of his nickname. I would also love to see Eli some more, as I was worried he was going to be toast during this episode also. 

• Love 6

Well on the bright side, they wouldn’t bother telling us all that back story of Chimney was going to die. 

On the other hand...come on, writers! That’s just cheap manipulation!

• Love 9

Huh.  I thought I'd like Chim's origin episode more than I did.  It was ok, but I was more impatient to get the forward momentum going on Maddie ad Chim.  So I couldn't really appreciate it as much. 

I did like seeing all the returning characters from Hen's origin episode.  The terrible captain has always been terrible apparently.  Mark Derwin can still get it!

• Love 12

The station really was just dickhead central before the show started, wasnt it? Between this and the Hen episode, it seems like the old Captain couldn't have left soon enough. I mean, they couldn't even let Chim sit at their table for dinner? Talk about petty, even if it is supposedly for self preservation of some kind, like they said. 

Liked getting Chims backstory, but I want to know whats going on with him and Maddie in real time damn it! After all that time on his backstory I am sure he wont actually die, but I dont want to wait a whole other week to see what happens! And not many wacky rescue incidents this week, which is always sad. I mean, I saw not one single shark being released majestically into the ocean! Not even one!

Fun seeing younger Athena for a second interacting with younger Chimney. 

Poor Kevin. The guy who played him was really good, he really came off like a full character, even in s small amount of screen time. I knew he was probably dead now, as we haven't ever seen or heard of him before, but still. Ouch.

So is this just a thing now? Someone almost dies (but not really) and then they get a backstory?

• Love 11

I saw it the other way, I was panicking bc I thought we were seeing Chim’s life flashing before his eyes-at least the part of his life he loved the most. Chim and Hen are my favorite characters so I was excited to see their origin stories, but let’s talk about preview fakeout. Kinda disappointed we didn’t actually see Buck find him. I kept watching the clock expecting him to be walking up to Maddie’s (for some reason. Didnt he know about the date? Why would he be over there?)

Loved the hospital part, where Chim is flashing between his past and what was happening to him in real time. The blood in his face, dripping off his hand, I just loved it. Love Kenneth Choi-he owned this episode. 

I’m concerned about the preview:

Spoiler

Buck said “He could kill again.” AGAIN?! Why did he say again? Chim is my favorite he better not be dead.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Poor Kevin. The guy who played him was really good, he really came off like a full character, even in s small amount of screen time. I knew he was probably dead now, as we haven't ever seen or heard of him before, but still. Ouch.

Yup.  Poor Kevin.  The minute he announced to his parents that he too was going to be a firefighter I said 'Welp, Kevin's gonna die'

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 15
17 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I knew he was a goner the minute he enthusiastically blurted out how low the death rates are for firefighters. I mean, this is a Ryan Murphy show after all.

How are you gonna give us a Chim backstory and not explain the nickname? C'mon now.

Other than that, it was so ok I guess, but just so obviously filler.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

hat was a total let down. I loved the story and more of Chim is always great but when last week’s episode and this week’s episodes both literally ended the same way, I couldn’t appreciate it. At least Hen’s single episode wasn’t when she was dying.

I thought it was way too similar to Hen's story. They both had a crisis in how they were employed. They both went to the fire fighter academy and did well. They both were treated like utter ass by the douchy chief. They both proved themselves to the other fire fighters. I mean the whole storyline with Kevin was a nice touch but its really the same storyline.

• Love 20

So this episode gives Chim a family but they weren't there when he had a pipe in his head and almost died. 

When did Bobby join the house? For some reason I thought he was always there and the others were added after. Maybe he shows up after the ahole captain gets fired. 

All these origin stories do is makes me wonder where are all these people now. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

When did Bobby join the house? For some reason I thought he was always there and the others were added after. Maybe he shows up after the ahole captain gets fired. 

After Hen joined, the bigoted captain was replaced and the house got a temporary captain. Bobby must have been the permanent replacement after that temp.

• Love 1

I guess I'm easy. I liked the episode, it got pretty dusty in my house. Sure, it was pretty clear Kevin would be a goner, and yes there are similarities to Hen's story (as I recall, Chim even commented on the similarities to her in that episode). But, I liked it. While I wish we would have gotten more of a resolution to Chim's current situation, I was okay with leaving it for next time.

I love Kenneth Choi. I'm not sure I've seen him before, but he is a terrific actor - and if that's his singing voice, a pretty decent singer.

• Love 16

I feel a little manipulated because the previews were obviously trying to make us believe that Chimney, or at least one of the regulars died.  But, I still teared up.  The loss of a firefighter on duty hits way too close to home since my husband is a Fire Captain and we have had too many firefighter deaths near us.  Recently, a firefighter in the town next to us died in a house fire and the arsonist was charged with murder, which I am very glad that he is being charged with the appropriate crime.  So, yeah, I cried when Kevin died and when I saw the funeral procession as it brought back memories to the funerals we have attended.  I thought this episode did a great job getting inside the heads of firefighters and first responders.

I liked seeing Chimney’s backstory, but all the loss and stuff kind of recon’s his attitude when we first met him.  I don’t know, I just find it hard to believe, after seeing all this, that he was still just going for all of the glory when we first met him.  But, I think Kenneth Choi is a strong actor and I did really enjoy this episode.  I’m just glad Chimney has grown since we first met him as he really annoyed me then lol.

I really thought they were going to let us know if Chimney survives or not at the end of the episode.  I think he will, but I thought it was going to be revealed that the words “you’re going to be ok” were going to be echoed by someone rescuing him.  I also thought they were going to finally reveal how he got his nickname. 

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The station really was just dickhead central before the show started, wasnt it? Between this and the Hen episode, it seems like the old Captain couldn't have left soon enough. I mean, they couldn't even let Chim sit at their table for dinner? Talk about petty, even if it is supposedly for self preservation of some kind, like they said. 

I feel like that self-preservation thing is bullshit.  Made up by the writers.  Because they can't both state how low the death rates are for FF and then say that they treat the new recruits like crap because of self-preservation.  The new boots always get shit.  It's just the way it's always been done.  I, personally, don't get it despite having been in the military.  I always hated that mentality, but the new guys coming on to the Dept always get teased a bit more than everyone else and gets made to clean up after dinner, etc.  It's nowhere near hazing, mind you (at least not in my husband's station), but it is a little ruthless (IMO) to see how tough these guys are.  

10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I knew he was a goner the minute he enthusiastically blurted out how low the death rates are for firefighters. 

I admit, I don't know that national statistics, but one big fire can take out several firefighters all at once, which is horrifying.  Also, with the rate of cancer and other smoke/building material/etc inhalation illnesses affecting FF's, it is a pretty dangerous job overall.  Of course, I find even one incident too high as I have a vested interest so I am basing this on my bias and not numbers.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I love Kenneth Choi. I'm not sure I've seen him before, but he is a terrific actor - and if that's his singing voice, a pretty decent singer.

Kenneth Choi was in The People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story. It was one of the best anthologies that I have watched, full of strong acting performances and he stood out.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

How are you gonna give us a Chim backstory and not explain the nickname? C'mon now.

For that reason I knew he wasn't going to die yet!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Kenneth Choi was in The People v. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story. It was one of the best anthologies that I have watched, full of strong acting performances and he stood out.

Oh, of course, he was Judge Ito. I had forgotten.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

Overall, I liked it. I was engaged and entertained. His history was similar to Hen's but not too much IMO could be the reason that they are good friends. Loved Mrs. Lee and hope she reappears. I really liked Chim's mentor. 

• Love 7

I actually thought that Chimney acted like a pompous idiot (calling himself entrepreneur, venture capitalist, etc.).  Really didn't like him in this episode until the funeral at the end.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, cameron said:

I actually thought that Chimney acted like a pompous idiot (calling himself entrepreneur, venture capitalist, etc.).

I kinda agree.  Although I didn't have quite the same degree of negative reaction you did.  But it was a little disquieting to see that over the top, blow-hardy character he was.  And also, well, the 'Sleeved Blanket' did make someone a lot of money once it became  the Snuggie/slanket so he was on to something. 

On the other hand, I think that was kinda intentional.  They did the same thing with Hen.  Showed someone so different from the Hen we know and love.  I think they want to shock with how different they were before becoming a firefighter.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I guess I'm easy. I liked the episode, it got pretty dusty in my house. Sure, it was pretty clear Kevin would be a goner, and yes there are similarities to Hen's story (as I recall, Chim even commented on the similarities to her in that episode). But, I liked it. While I wish we would have gotten more of a resolution to Chim's current situation, I was okay with leaving it for next time.

Kenneth Choi is great. I remember him as Chester Ming from The Wolf of Wall Street.

• Love 1

I get what they were going for with the lady and her baby showing up at the station, but shouldn't she have been thinking of the firefighter who died to save them first, and not look like she had no idea who that was or where that name came from?  And even if you're not in love with "Howard" as a name, don't be so obviously repulsed.  The guy did save you and your (then) unborn child from burning alive. 

• Love 12
23 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

also we still haven’t learned the origin of his nickname.

I'm imagining that while attending a fire, the only safe access to a building is down a chimney. Howard, being possibly the smallest man on the team, is the only on that can fit down there, hence the nickname. Of course, I could be waaay off 😛

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

I know there's an element of hazing among firemen but I am admittedly off put by the idea that the fire chief was sidelining the fully qualified Asian male firefighter by refusing to let him go on fire calls and no one questioned that or having to shoulder all the work while Asian guy washes dishes.

I mean, I'm not an idiot, I know blatant racism exists but honestly, first the Asian guy is treated like ass, complete with insisting he not sit at the table with the white folks, and then pretty much does the same thing with the black, female, lesbian firefighter and like.... again, I wasn't raised in magical happy land, I know racism happens but this level of blatant abuse, in Los Angeles in what 2006? How was this not a massive lawsuit?

I'm also intrigued as to what happened to the near angelic paramedic who took both Chimney and Hen under his wing (it was the same guy right?) and the various douchebags who enjoyed the hazing.

• Love 10

I'm also intrigued as to what happened to the near angelic paramedic who took both Chimney and Hen under his wing (it was the same guy right?) and the various douchebags who enjoyed the hazing.

I for real thought the twist was going to be that this guy was dead and that he was going to be leading Chimney to heaven.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I know there's an element of hazing among firemen but I am admittedly off put by the idea that the fire chief was sidelining the fully qualified Asian male firefighter by refusing to let him go on fire calls and no one questioned that or having to shoulder all the work while Asian guy washes dishes.

I mean, I'm not an idiot, I know blatant racism exists but honestly, first the Asian guy is treated like ass, complete with insisting he not sit at the table with the white folks, and then pretty much does the same thing with the black, female, lesbian firefighter and like.... again, I wasn't raised in magical happy land, I know racism happens but this level of blatant abuse, in Los Angeles in what 2006? How was this not a massive lawsuit?

Luckily enough this was already addressed that the Captain was a racist and chauvinist and he's already had his comeuppance.  I am glad they were sticking true to the characterization of these people that we've already met. 

• Love 9

While I like Chimney I was so bored by this episode. It just wasn’t needed and completely interrupted the story telling. I ff’d thru a lot of the video montage crap. I love this show because it’s over the top soapy badness but this ep was a dud. Can’t wait for next week to resume where we actually left off, a brutal stabbing and kidnapping. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

I wonder if I am in the minority when I say how much I loved this episode. Superb acting by Kenneth Choi. I think after this episode, Chim’s my favorite character on this show. Well done!

I enjoyed it too. Honestly the only character who I find off-putting in the show is Maddie. I loved seeing Chimney's origins. He really has been put through it. Obviously his mother died and his father remarried and had a second, clearly more important child. I enjoyed his growth from brash 'entrepreneur', to the guy who wanted to be a firefighter for the heroics of it, to an actual hero after his almost-literally trials by fire. I will seriously quit watching if they kill him off.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
Maddie, not Maggie. I blame a mental block.
  • Love 8

Total rip-off. If they were going to pull something like this right after leaving us on a life and death cliff-hanger, they should have at least told us how "Chimney" got his nickname. I spent most of the episode thinking, "well, at least we'll finally find that out," which would have mitigated the disappointment and frustration somewhat. But nope. We didn't even get that. Complete waste of time IMO.

• Love 4

I personally am not waiting to hear about the origin of Chimney's nickname. I am fine with waiting for it. I was much more interested in his back story. For me, back stories add texture. Unless it's an entire episode about Jack's tattoo. Then I am a bit salty.

• Love 3

I personally am not waiting to hear about the origin of Chimney's nickname. I am fine with waiting for it. I was much more interested in his back story.

Shouldn't that be part of his backstory? Why haven't they explained it through the course of two seasons? And if not now, when? Yeah, backstories can be good episodes but this was a frustrating place to insert one, right after a cliffhanger. They could have a least given us that little crumb but no. You could have skipped this episode altogether and never known it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Shouldn't that be part of his backstory? Why haven't they explained it through the course of two seasons? And if not now, when? Yeah, backstories can be good episodes but this was a frustrating place to insert one, right after a cliffhanger. They could have a least given us that little crumb but no. You could have skipped this episode altogether and never known it.

Oh sure, it is a part of his back story, just not a part that particularly interests me. I was fine with having this episode after a cliffhanger, and personally thought there were plenty of crumbs, as it were. But mileage varies, and I do understand that others have different reactions. Just expressing my own.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I looked it up and, sadly, not the same paramedic. But Chimney's paramedic friend Eli was so awesome that I am sad that this was his first, and possibly only, episode. I'd love to see him come back because he was great. 

I liked the episode a lot. Focusing on Chimney was great, and Kenneth Choi is such a fantastic actor. I cared about him and his friend Kevin. I felt so bad for Chimney, especially with the "fun" montage which was dripped with sadness due to why he had so much time at the station to dance and practice his skills. 

His dad's a dick. I agree that his father and Athena's mother could probably get together for a cup of coffee one day. 

I, too, wish we got to know why he got his nickname, but Chimney did tell that new mom at the end of the episode that it was time to look for a new nickname, so I guess we'll see how he got his nickname at some point.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I personally am not waiting to hear about the origin of Chimney's nickname. I am fine with waiting for it. 

I don't understand your comment. Can you help a girl out?

12 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I enjoyed it too. Honestly the only character who I find off-putting in the show is Maddie. I loved seeing Chimney's origins. He really has been put through it. Obviously his mother died and his father remarried and had a second, clearly more important child. I enjoyed his growth from brash 'entrepreneur', to the guy who wanted to be a firefighter for the heroics of it, to an actual hero after his almost-literally trials by fire. I will seriously quit watching if they kill him off.

...and the next episode will be all about and her husband. The actor who plays Chimney is getting attacked for taking away the attention from "the plot of the show". Excuse me, the "plot" of the show is the story of Athena, Hen, Abby, Bobby, Chimney, Buck and even Eddie. They made the show the succes it is, not her. If anything, maddie's story takes so much away from the show. Proof is in the ratings. Most people can't wait for "maddie's story" to be over. But the sad thing is, she's not getting killed off, Chimney is in danger of dying and the actor might be leaving the show and next week's episode will be all about JLH's character and her husband and barely about him. Of course her fans (all 2 of them) don't see a problem with this. They think Chimney's last ever episode being all about her is perfectly ok. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, rhys said:
17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I personally am not waiting to hear about the origin of Chimney's nickname. I am fine with waiting for it. 

I don't understand your comment. Can you help a girl out? 

HAH! That was poorly written, wasn't it? A clearer statement would be that it's not of particular interest to me (as it seems kind of self-evident in general), and am fine with not hearing the specifics.

9 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

. The actor who plays Chimney is getting attacked for taking away the attention from "the plot of the show".

I really have to ask where this is happening. 

9 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

Excuse me, the "plot" of the show is the story of Athena, Hen, Abby, Bobby, Chimney, Buck and even Eddie. They made the show the succes it is, not her.

In fairness if you're going to claim this then you need to put Eddie in the pile with Maddie. He wasn't in season one either, therefore he did not make the show a success. And the actress playing Abby always intended her role to be one season and done. It's not like she was forced out for a new actress to take over.

If Kenneth Choi is leaving the show, then he is. That's the nature of the acting business. His character got a show piece episode and that's actually nice - trust me, it could be worse. Downton Abbey wins the award for crummy character endings. 

More seriously, based on the previews, I think it's as likely that Maddie gets the death scene. The scene of two bodies in the snow or whatever makes me wonder. 

• Love 6

If anything, Maddie's story takes so much away from the show. Proof is in the ratings.

Huh? The ratings are good this season. It won its time slot and is a safe bet for renewal. 

• Love 4

I feel a little manipulated because the previews were obviously trying to make us believe that Chimney, or at least one of the regulars died.

Honestly, I haven't watched a TV preview since I was a child.  They either steer you wrong or ruin a surprise.

@aussieinsydney, until this show, I never noticed how petite Chimney was. When I saw him lined up with his fellow firefighters, I had the exact thought you did. I would add that maybe he got stuck in the chimney, too, which makes his nickname even more amusing.

That actor is sure a good crier. He was called on to do it around five different times.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I really have to ask where this is happening. 

In fairness if you're going to claim this then you need to put Eddie in the pile with Maddie. He wasn't in season one either, therefore he did not make the show a success. And the actress playing Abby always intended her role to be one season and done. It's not like she was forced out for a new actress to take over.

If Kenneth Choi is leaving the show, then he is. That's the nature of the acting business. His character got a show piece episode and that's actually nice - trust me, it could be worse. Downton Abbey wins the award for crummy character endings. 

More seriously, based on the previews, I think it's as likely that Maddie gets the death scene. The scene of two bodies in the snow or whatever makes me wonder. 

Ryan is a hot young guy, he attracted many 18-35 yo viewers to the show. Check out the #911onfox tag on tumblr, twitter and instagram, there are Buck&Eddie shippers everywhere :) Meanwhile Hewitt only brought negativity and haters to the show.

Sadly, maddie is like the only character who's not in danger of dying. Hewitt said she's staying until the end of the show, she's probably signed for more than 1 year, not to mention she's posting BTS stuff ALL THE TIME. She doesn't care about giving away spoilers. She basically doesn't give a f about the show or the hard work others put into it. Someone mentioned on twitter that Kenneth Choi hasn't been seen on set since February.

this conversation should be moved to the spoilers & speculation thread , i think