Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Aspyn's Royal Wedding

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, suomi said:

It's usually related to self-esteem. Being overly shy, being socially awkward, wanting to blend in and not stand out or be noticed, not having rhythm, fear of failure and not measuring up to others, etc. For some people dancing in public is almost like going naked in public and in their minds both are rated equally as difficult. 

OMG, I had no idea. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They had plenty of time to get someone to officiate who could speak.  I wonder why they didn't.  I know there was the family connection, but, still.......

I was fully expecting Kody to insist on stepping into the breach and wax poetic with his garrulous homilies.  After spending days on end refreshing his memory by reading diaries about Maddie, the best he could come up with was reminding everyone how Maddie "failed to thrive", due largely to more neglect by the Brown bunch.  Treasured memories.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Bucket said:

They all looked terrible.  All of them.  Christine is heavier than I thought; her green dress was hideous.  Janelle, it is caftan time.  Meri, no just no.  Aspyn, surely they had gowns that did not show back fat. Robin you look like part of a xmas pageant.  None of them dressed for the season; satin is not warm weather fabric. 

I was surprised to see the different dress lengths.  Shouldn't they agree on the dress lengths?  But, yes, they all looked bad (bride included).  

I'm not a student of the show but I was surprised by the "Moving to Flagstaff" ad hoc committee.  Robyn:  I just rented a 6500 sq ft house.  Christine:  Oh, I bought a house.  The hell?  And then I get suckered in because I believe the fix was in with Robyn moving to Flag.  The story would be so much more compelling if TPTB showed Robyn as the queen and the others just dealing with all of it.  Gabe, you have a reason to be angry; you aren't the first choice kid in the family.  Neither is your mother.  Deal.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ehall1052 said:

Did I understand correctly that Mitch and Aspyn did the hand-fasting tradition INSTEAD of rings because, for Mitch, “the ring ceremony doesn’t necessarily hold any special meaning to him”?  What? My wedding ring holds very special meaning to me .  I have no problem with them doing the hand-fasting ceremony, but they should have rings, too. Is it so Mitch can appear more available to a possible 2nd wife?

I love my rings too. But my husband is even more attached to them than I am, lol. It bothers him that I take them off while at home - I know most people don't take theirs off, but I wash my hands frequently, clean and do other things around the house and I don't like to have them on while doing so. I have a ring holder on our entryway shelf, and that's where they go so I don't misplace them, and I can grab them and put them on as I leave the house.

• Love 2

Christine seems like a nice person but she is an attention hound like Kody.  She loves to plan these stupid dance shows and skits for the children life events.  She loves to say outrageous things during the couch  sessions.  She especially loves to shut down Kody by telling him "that's enough" and "shut up".  With the exception of Janelle the wives try much too hard to appear fun and happy.  Aspyn is different than I would have imagined only seeing the little of her we have prior to the wedding planning etc.  She might have just been very nervous especially that the whole thing was going to be on TV.  The smashing of the cake I just don't get, that has nothing to do with being nervous.  It does seem that Kody's favor has now fallen on Christine, they seem very "friendly" and he is with her a lot during this season.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Gothish520 said:

Yep, seems Janelle suffers from this as well, she never wants to dance or participate in anything because she is too self-conscious.

I used to be that way. I always enjoyed dancing in private but was too shy and embarassed to do it publicly, especially when my weight was up. Somewhere in my early thirties I decided I needed to start living, dammit, and I made a conscious effort to lose weight, and I looked around and realized that not everyone who was out dancing and having fun was a supermodel. Attitude is everything. So I got over worrying about looking like a fool and decided to go out and have fun and other people's opinions be damned. I started having a blast at weddings and social events. Even as my weight has gone up and down over the years, I never lost that finally-found self-confidence and I still dance like no one is watching!

That is a major accomplishment.  I decided many years ago not to be shy anymore.  It changed my life.  Also, I realized that even the folks I looked at and maybe in my younger years criticized or judged, I would never see them again and they didn't know or care.  So I wised up as far as judging and do what I want in public, whether dancing, wearing a bathing suit, etc. - no one cares, really.  Very freeing.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Which immediate family member wore a dress with an ugly Silly String print that didn't include blue? Which adult sister didn't wear blue? 

Meri wore the ugly Silly String print.  The adult sister who didn't wear blue is Mariah; she wore cream and her partner Audrey wore pink.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

That is a major accomplishment.  I decided many years ago not to be shy anymore.  It changed my life.  Also, I realized that even the folks I looked at and maybe in my younger years criticized or judged, I would never see them again and they didn't know or care.  So I wised up as far as judging and do what I want in public, whether dancing, wearing a bathing suit, etc. - no one cares, really.  Very freeing.

I agree, so very freeing, and kudos to you as well! 

• Love 7

In this episode ,I think it was Christine that Kody said he told everything to. I don't think that is true. I think Robyn gets all the info, Christine & Janelle get bits and pieces. Meri is on a need to know basis. 

Regarding dancing-

Screenshot_20190318-201523_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Chris Knight
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

Back to Flagstaff. In the future, we find Kody working in the plague dirt with his boys.

Wonder what boys. Don't think it will be Gabe.

Wonder what he will be doing in the dirt.

I can seriously picture Kody in a small sandbox by himself.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Back to Flagstaff. In the future, we find Kody working in the plague dirt with his boys.

Wonder what boys. Don't think it will be Gabe.

Wonder what he will be doing in the dirt.

I can seriously picture Kody in a small sandbox by himself.

I can't picture him doing anything at all.  Maybe sitting in an armchair watching TV.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

So Christine just announces at the family meeting, that she put an offer down on a home in Flagstaff and got it? So I'm taking it, that she didn't have to put a down payment on the house, cause one would think, the entire family would have to discuss it, and find the resources, you know the same resources they couldn't find, earlier for Meri's BnB.

I mean she bought a half million dollar home!

I in no way feel sorry for this family, and any future money problems that they may have.

• Love 16

Okay, I just caught up with the episode, and I haven't read the entire thread yet. So if I'm repeating anything that anyone had already written, I apologize in advance.

Robyn crying stating that the "piece of paper" didn't matter; but the eternal covenant did. Gag!

Easy for Robyn to say when she HAS that piece of paper. If I were on that couch, I would have unabashedly given that chick the side-eye.

Does it matter to Janelle? Of course not! She and Kody are more like buddies rather than husband and wife. After she had the kids she wanted, their relationship probably became what it truly is. Plus, she had that "piece of paper" with Adam Barber. But we know what happened with that...

I still wonder what she saw in Kody or why she married him since their marriage seems to be a very platonic one...

On a shallow note, I WISH Meri would get rid of those damn eyebrows and that eye shadow. It's not flattering on her AT ALL.

I kept looking for the Alldredges, because I knew they were in attendance. One of the wives (I believe it may have been Vanessa) had photos on her Facebook page. Maybe I missed them. I did see their name on the guest list/seating cart, or whatever it was.

It was nice to see an "if you blink, you'll miss it" appearance of Logan and Michelle. On the other hand, I do admire them for staying out of the spotlight. Ironic, huh?

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

I love my rings too. But my husband is even more attached to them than I am, lol. 

Aspyn got the piece of paper.  Mitch will probably give her future sister wives rings.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I was fully expecting Kody to insist on stepping into the breach and wax poetic with his garrulous homilies. 

I was too and for that reason didn't mind the whisperer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I have no problem with them doing the hand-fasting ceremony, but they should have rings, too.

Meh - every couple is different. I never take off my wedding ring. Neither does my husband. My mother wore hers all the time; my father never wore his. He adored my mother and was completely devoted to her but he just never wore a ring. I think that Aspyn and Mitch intended the hand fasting ceremony to be instead of rings but I don't read much more into it than that. Then again, though they didn't exchange rings during the ceremony (that we say) it could be that they wear wedding bands in the future.

And WHOOO cannot slow dance?  I've never heard of that.  We were able to slow dance  as a kid in school.  I don't understand the challenge. 

*Raises hand* I cannot slow dance. I mean - I can, I suppose, if by slow dance you mean "put arms around partner and sway more or less to the rhythm of the song without falling over." My bigger issue is being the center of attention. I hate it. We didn't have a "first dance" at our wedding but we did dance - just without great announcement and fanfare. I couldn't stand the idea of being the only two people on the dance floor with everyone staring at us but I was thrilled to have everyone out there dancing with us. 

• Love 19
10 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

What makes Meri think she's edgy? Is LulaNo for the edgy crowd? Maybe edgy Mariah told her she is. These people really do love themselves. 

I like the way Edgy Meri keeps all of them frustrated. Will she live in downtown Flag? Will she move with the rest of us? Why hasn't she found a rental yet? How long will she stay in Vegas? Is she quietly planning to leave us? I swear I think she gets a kick out of seeing them freak out over her holding her plans close to the vest. I'm enjoying the hell out of it! Especially Janelle telling Meri " We want you with us, don't stay in Vegas for too long, we all need to be together". Yeah, sure, Janelle. Meri's biggest supporter. 

I might be remembering this wrong but I thought that when they were visiting Hannah, someone else (Christine?) said, “meri’s edgy” and she said, “oh, right” and kind of rolled her eyes. I don’t think she claims that. 

Re:rings

In the People Mag article, it said they didn’t do rings since they’d already been wearing them.  And they are in the pics.  I seem to recall Christine saying a while back that they did that when they got engaged. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 3/17/2019 at 11:43 PM, Sandy W said:

I thought the purpose of the trip to Seattle was to get a feel for what the women would feel comfortable wearing.  Meri declared herself edgy, so Hannah took her at her word.  There should have at least been emails back and forth showing what Hannah was planning and how the hats would coordinate with the dresses.  No one should have been assembling the completed look the day before the wedding.

Agreed. I knew as soon as I saw the flowers that it wasn't Meri.  Nothing about Meri screams flowers. Meri seems to be about textured fabrics.  I think I recall some hideous brown material that looked like pleather that she had chosen for the commitment ceremony that she was thankfully talked out of.  And, the dress she wore  to Aspyn's wedding looked like a silly string explosion. 

Perhaps if Hannah had went with a trio of different textures and stayed away from flowers it would've been alright. Meri's hat turned out okay, although it could've used just a touch more poof, for it looked like a couple of starched napkins atop her head.

Everyone else's hat looked lovely, and fun. Wanna bet Robyn picked out one design in front of the SWs, and then had Cootie help her tweak it later?  😛

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Cootie's hair has become a character all of its own on this show.  Wonder if Cootie gets paid a haircare stipend?

So the hair secret that Robin saved Kody’s  year of bad hair by showing  him how 20 minutes of upside down fluffing results in what looks like a perm to me. Can anyone here verify that his head is due to running his fingers through his hair with product? I never saw that on the little girl during the wedding. 

i love  how Kody impulsively uproots the family and then they get all get upset  because Merri isn’t whooping it up excited like it’s not a shit show move   Robin is responsible for the whole thing unless balloon payments were due but who then would give then mortgages??

Christine is the favored one for sure. The hi wonderful man in the morning and yeah BABE she is on the receiving end of the Leader. 

It was the perfect wedding for the couple.  I’m thinking Mitches mom didn’t have to money to pay for rehearsal dinner. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Okay, I just caught up with the episode, and I haven't read the entire thread yet. So if I'm repeating anything that anyone had already written, I apologize in advance.

Robyn crying stating that the "piece of paper" didn't matter; but the eternal covenant did. Gag!

Easy for Robyn to say when she HAS that piece of paper. If I were on that couch, I would have unabashedly given that chick the side-eye.

Does it matter to Janelle? Of course not! She and Kody are more like buddies rather than husband and wife. After she had the kids she wanted, their relationship probably became what it truly is. Plus, she had that "piece of paper" with Adam Barber. But we know what happened with that...

I still wonder what she saw in Kody or why she married him since their marriage seems to be a very platonic one...

On a shallow note, I WISH Meri would get rid of those damn eyebrows and that eye shadow. It's not flattering on her AT ALL.

I kept looking for the Alldredges, because I knew they were in attendance. One of the wives (I believe it may have been Vanessa) had photos on her Facebook page. Maybe I missed them. I did see their name on the guest list/seating cart, or whatever it was.

It was nice to see an "if you blink, you'll miss it" appearance of Logan and Michelle. On the other hand, I do admire them for staying out of the spotlight. Ironic, huh?

Alldredges were sitting with Aspyn and Mitch at the rehearsal meal and Vanessa was shown taking a photo of two women at the wedding. It was during a moment when the narrator said her daughter's were wearing hats she's made.

• Useful 1

am I the only one that finds Aspyn completely annoying, the way she has to laugh and hunch over and flip her hair after everything she says drives me nuts, she completely ruined her wedding vows , your not funny Aspyn, stop laughing after each thing you say

• Love 15
6 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

So the hair secret that Robin saved Kody’s  year of bad hair by showing  him how 20 minutes of upside down fluffing results in what looks like a perm to me. Can anyone here verify that his head is due to running his fingers through his hair with product? I never saw that on the little girl during the wedding. 

I thingk that Robyn has Cootie twirl his hair upside down in order to get some oxygen to his brain.  😁

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, suomi said:

Which person does not "belong" in this photo? Which mother is not wearing solid green or solid blue to complement the colors in the two kilts? Which mother's dress is fighting the intended image? Which mother ruined the theme of this family photo?

13 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Ah yes.  LuLaNO spoiled it, whether dear mother Meri intended it to, or not.   She didn't waste time showcasing that ugly print crap, did she?  Ugh.

You cannot convince me that this was not Meri's plan ALL ALONG...to have a sudden moment of "Oopsie!  The solid color dress I was gonna wear SUDDENLY doesn't fit - oh noes, what to do, what to do...HEY!  I'll just wear this LuLa dress that I had on standby all along because I am a rep and I have a reputation as a top seller to uphold and who cares if I don't blend with the others!"

5 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

aa hats.jpg

OMG who is this person and where did she come from??  I am LOL-ing!!  Meri's color is SPOT. ON.  The facial features on all of them are perfect!

• LOL 7
  • Love 15
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

OMG who is this person and where did she come from??  I am LOL-ing!!  Meri's color is SPOT. ON.  The facial features on all of them are perfect!

Except Robyn's chin.  It should have been MUCH bigger!!    Meri and Janelle look EXACTLY how they look in real life!!   lol

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

You cannot convince me that this was not Meri's plan ALL ALONG...to have a sudden moment of "Oopsie!  The solid color dress I was gonna wear SUDDENLY doesn't fit - oh noes, what to do, what to do...HEY!  I'll just wear this LuLa dress that I had on standby all along because I am a rep and I have a reputation as a top seller to uphold and who cares if I don't blend with the others!"

Which didn't fit. 

Oh that's perfect. Dead ringers!

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

aa hats.jpg

* The look on Christine's face, "everything's peachy no matter what". 

* Robyn could have used a larger chin (someone already mentioned this). 

* Meri's orange bronzer, LOL! I wonder if Meri even realizes she's made fun of for her orange shade. The sourpuss expression she seems to have around the family is spot-on. 

* OMG Janelle's "I'm smiling but still frowning" face. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! 

Overall, funny AF! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Adiba said:

I didn't hear it, but I was only half-watching. I think they (Kody and the wives) just want it decriminalized--not legal as in you can legally marry one wife, but if you choose to cohabit and call more than one woman a wife, you are not a felon? I agree with that btw, even if I don't think polygamy is a great life choice.

In her talking head Christine WAS saying that polygamy should be legal - not that it should just be decriminalized.  (She was going on about the fact that she will never be allowed to have a legal marriage certificate.)  It's already been essentially decriminalized as most states will only use it as a charge when charging a person for other things - like marrying under age little girls and food stamp fraud.  I honestly don't believe the majority of people care what others do in terms of calling any number of people husband, wife, whatever but I do think most people would have a major problem if polygamy was legal and sanctioned by the state.  This is because, to avoid discrimination, the state couldn't just say it's OK for a man to marry several women - the state would have to pretty much say that ANY configuration of consenting adults can be legal.  Imagine the logistical nightmare of writing legislation dealing with all possible configurations.  How about the tax code?  What about divorce laws?  How do you go about deciding custody and visitation?  Child support?  Family court would become much more complicated than it already is.

On a semi-related note, if you've ever watched the Lifetime show Escaping Polygamy the girls frequently mention things like uncles/half-uncles marrying their nieces.  Other than being REALLY creepy I'm sort of surprised this is not also used as a way to prosecute these men.  Maybe because they never acknowledge it?

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I am late to the party, but I do have a few comments.

I was a little surprised when Kody mentioned paying for the  rehearsal dinner. ( I am sure I have bored everyone with comments about my daughter's wedding a few years ago, which was rather traditional with our paying for most of the wedding, some costs picked up by the bride and groom,  and the groom's parents paying for the rehearsal dinner.)  But after I thought about it, almost everyone at that dinner was a part of the Brown family so it was more like a dinner for the Browns.  It made sense for him (or TLC) to pay for it.

Aspyn had mentioned that at one point she just wanted to elope.   Well, that wasn't going to happen as Kody needed this wedding for use in this otherwise dull season.   That being said, the location was absolutely lovely.   My major complaint was the cake smashing.  The only weddings where I have seen this done are on tv.  I don't know if it is because most of the weddings I go to are more formal, but I haven't seen it done at less formal ones, either. 

Speaking of formal,  I really didn't expect long dresses for the mom's at the wedding as it looks like it was fairly early in the day rather than a late afternoon or early evening one.   I think Janelle had the right idea, but the dress she picked didn't work with her figure and  the material didn't look like the best choice from what I saw on tv, but I think her shoes were okay and so was her hat.   Christine appears to be in two shades of green that don't quite go together, but she can recycle that hat every St. Patrick's day.  (I did think it was funny we were watching on Saint Patrick's day when I saw her)

Oh, Meri.  So that's another Luluroe (sp?) dress?  (Is all their stuff as bad as what Meri has in her collection?  I know a young woman who sells or sold it, and she always looks very good so maybe there are some better pieces or else she never wears what is in her inventory.  I am not sure I want to ask).   Dress is too tight, and I thought the print was an awful choice for a wedding.   And the shoes didn't work with the rest of her look.

Hats--  did they not send pictures of their dresses to Hannah so she could match up the hats a little better?  Janelle's was okay, but Christine's looked too light for the dress.  Ideally, they would have sent her a swatch, but I guess the dresses were off the rack.

Shoes--No, to Meri's.  Janelle's were okay,  I don't recall what Robyn and Christine were wearing as they were in long dresses.  The one thing I hate about outdoor weddings is figuring out what shoes to wear, and I usually end up wearing flats just because I worry about the ground being uneven unless I know the place has those stepping pads underneath the grass.

All the people in kilts looked good except for Kody.   His was too short, but I am beginning to wonder if Americans wearing kilts tend to wear them shorter.  There was a Scottish event here recently, and I saw one of the attendees in a parking lot, and his kilt was way too short (he also was wearing dreadlocks so the whole look was very strange).  I did not enjoy watching Kody get dressed with the guys, and I really hated his reference to the honeymooners' bed (I don't recall his exact words, but it was very cringe-producing).

I don't remember a thing about what Robyn wore except she had a hat and wore a long dress.

I basically liked Aspyn's dress, but I think she might have gained a little since she bought it, and for a moment I thought it wasn't going to fasten in the back.  I did wonder if she had a microphone under it.  Instead of a bare back, she probably would have looked better in a dress that was one-shouldered.   I did enjoy watching Truely carry the train.

I am not always keen on people writing their own vows.  (Totally, unrelated--the vows Naomi and Vint exchange on "Mama's Family" are funny).   I don't think the priest gave us that option at ours.  They should have written them earlier and rehearsed them.  Actually, it would have been much better had they memorized them, and discussed them beforehand with the silent officiant. 

It did not look as though many of the 400 invited guests were there, but maybe they were and just didn't want to be shown on tv.

I did love the flower girls as the only attendants.  That was the only part of the wedding that looked "royal" to me.  And I loved that they were all but one the nieces of Mitch.  Also  I loved the youngest Brown (whose name escapes me) tossing the whole basket.  That was the best part of the wedding for me.  I could watch those few seconds over and over. 

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I forgot to mention this.    I think part of the problem for Christine now is that she is the only one of Kody's  "wives"  who has not had a marriage license and certificate.  Janelle had one, although it was to her first husband.  Robyn has had 2 (her first husband and Kody) and Meri also had a legal marriage to Kody.  Plus Christine has now had two daughters legally married.  I am sure she feels left out, despite her belief that her spiritual marriage is better and the only one that counts.

The other thing I forgot to comment on was Kody's hair.  It seems like he wants his hair to look like Meri's.   I don't think that style looks good on middle age people, but I know a few young people that wear their hair like that and look fine.  Probably the younger people have hair that is in much better condition to start.  (In college, we used to braid our wet hair to get a wavy effect which probably was awful for it).  (It also reminds me of how people and their dogs start to look alike)

For that last remark, I will show myself out......

Edited by Twopper
trying to catch spelling mistakes
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

In her talking head Christine WAS saying that polygamy should be legal - not that it should just be decriminalized.  (She was going on about the fact that she will never be allowed to have a legal marriage certificate.)  It's already been essentially decriminalized as most states will only use it as a charge when charging a person for other things - like marrying under age little girls and food stamp fraud.  I honestly don't believe the majority of people care what others do in terms of calling any number of people husband, wife, whatever but I do think most people would have a major problem if polygamy was legal and sanctioned by the state.  This is because, to avoid discrimination, the state couldn't just say it's OK for a man to marry several women - the state would have to pretty much say that ANY configuration of consenting adults can be legal.  Imagine the logistical nightmare of writing legislation dealing with all possible configurations.  How about the tax code?  What about divorce laws?  How do you go about deciding custody and visitation?  Child support?  Family court would become much more complicated than it already is.

On a semi-related note, if you've ever watched the Lifetime show Escaping Polygamy the girls frequently mention things like uncles/half-uncles marrying their nieces.  Other than being REALLY creepy I'm sort of surprised this is not also used as a way to prosecute these men.  Maybe because they never acknowledge it?

Ok, I didn’t hear —Or maybe pay attention to Christine. I had always though Kody (and the othe polygamists at the rallies) just wanted it decriminalized.

You are right, though—I have always thought it would be a logistical nightmare for our legal system if polygamy were to be legalized.  Can you imagine all of the different combinations of people who could be married?

Between non-closely related consenting adults—polygamy should not be a crime. If there is fraud, abuse, coercion, incest—prosecute that.

Christine should just print out a spiritual certificate of marriage if she is into a piece of paper. I thought they didn’t really care about the civil earthly marriage so much, anyway. Maybe she’s angling for Kody to divorce Robyn and give her a turn to be the legal wife, lol.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Christine should just print out a spiritual certificate of marriage if she is into a piece of paper. I thought they didn’t really care about the civil earthly marriage so much, anyway. Maybe she’s angling for Kody to divorce Robyn and give her a turn to be the legal wife, lol.

If they need that to happen to stay on the air,  I am sure we will see that.  I would definitely watch.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I am late to the party, but I do have a few comments.

I was a little surprised when Kody mentioned paying for the  rehearsal dinner. ( I am sure I have bored everyone with comments about my daughter's wedding a few years ago, which was rather traditional with our paying for most of the wedding, some costs picked up by the bride and groom,  and the groom's parents paying for the rehearsal dinner.)  But after I thought about it, almost everyone at that dinner was a part of the Brown family so it was more like a dinner for the Browns.  It made sense for him (or TLC) to pay for it.

Aspyn had mentioned that at one point she just wanted to elope.   Well, that wasn't going to happen as Kody needed this wedding for use in this otherwise dull season.   That being said, the location was absolutely lovely.   My major complaint was the cake smashing.  The only weddings where I have seen this done are on tv.  I don't know if it is because most of the weddings I go to are more formal, but I haven't seen it done at less formal ones, either. 

Speaking of formal,  I really didn't expect long dresses for the mom's at the wedding as it looks like it was fairly early in the day rather than a late afternoon or early evening one.   I think Janelle had the right idea, but the dress she picked didn't work with her figure and I the material didn't look like the best choice from what I saw on tv, but I think her shoes were okay and so was her hat.   Christine appears to be in two shades of green that don't quite go together, but she can recycle that hat every St. Patrick's day.  (I did think it was funny we were watching on Saint Patrick's day when I saw her)

Oh, Meri.  So that's another Luluroe (sp?) dress?  (Is all their stuff as bad as what Meri has in her collection?  I know a young woman who sells or sold it, and she always looks very good so maybe there are some better pieces or else she never wears what is in her inventory.  I am not sure I want to ask).   Dress is too tight, and I thought the print was an awful choice for a wedding.   And the shoes didn't work with the rest of her look.

Hats--  did they not send pictures of their dresses to Hannah so she could match up the hats a little better?  Janelle's was okay, but Christine's looked too light for the dress.  Ideally, they would have sent her a swatch, but I guess the dresses were off the rack.

Shoes--No, to Meri's.  Janelle's were okay,  I don't recall what Robyn and Christine were wearing as they were in long dresses.  The one thing I hate about outdoor weddings is figuring out what shoes to wear, and I usually end up wearing flats just because I worry about the ground being uneven unless I know the place has those stepping pads underneath the grass.

All the people in kilts looked good except for Kody.   His was too short, but I am beginning to wonder if Americans wearing kilts tend to wear them shorter.  There was a Scottish event here recently, and I saw one of the attendees in a parking lot, and his kilt was way too short (he also was wearing dreadlocks so the whole look was very strange).  I did not enjoy watching Kody get dressed with the guys, and I really hated his reference to the honeymooners' bed (I don't recall his exact words, but it was very cringe-producing).

I don't remember a thing about what Robyn wore except she had a hat and wore a long dress.

I basically liked Aspyn's dress, but I think she might have gained a little since she bought it, and for a moment I thought it wasn't going to fasten in the back.  I did wonder if she had a microphone under it.  Instead of a bare back, she probably would have looked better in a dress that was one-shouldered.   I did enjoy watching Truely carry the train.

I am not always keen on people writing their own vows.  (Totally, unrelated--the vows Naomi and Vint exchange on "Mama's Family" are funny).   I don't think the priest gave us that option at ours.  They should have written them earlier and rehearsed them.  Actually, it would have been much better had they memorized them, and discussed them beforehand with the silent officiant. 

It did not look as though many of the 400 invited guests were there, but maybe they were and just didn't want to be shown on tv.

I did love the flower girls as the only attendants.  That was the only part of the wedding that looked "royal" to me.  And I loved that they were all but one the nieces of Mitch.  Also  I loved the youngest Brown (whose name escapes me) tossing the whole basket.  That was the best part of the wedding for me.  I could watch those few seconds over and over. 

I like your take on things. I agree about couples writing their own vows. They usually turn out to be some version of traditional vows anyway, so unless they are coming up with something sweet that dazzles the spouse, I say just stick with the script, lol. My husband and I didn't even entertain the idea of writing our own. But I agree, if you are going to do it, get them down pat before the ceremony! 

I didn't mind Kody's kilt because I think he had to wear it a bit higher as it was too tight to wear at the proper length. I believe he commented a time or two about it being a bit small.

This hasn't been mentioned much, but regardless of how one feels about things, I think Mitch's father basically ignoring Kody during the reception speech was rude AF. Even if you think he's an asshat, crack a smile dude, it's your son's wedding!

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

This hasn't been mentioned much, but regardless of how one feels about things, I think Mitch's father basically ignoring Kody during the reception speech was rude AF. Even if you think he's an asshat, crack a smile dude, it's your son's wedding!

Or look at Kody when he's speaking or something.   That was really uncomfortable.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Between non-closely related consenting adults—polygamy should not be a crime. If there is fraud, abuse, coercion, incest—prosecute that.

I think most of the people on this board (and most people in general) feel exactly the same way.  We REALLY don't care what you do in private.  Kody just really wants to be a martyr on the altar of polygamy.  They ALL act like they are in imminent danger of arrest every time they enter the state (i.e. Robyn's weepy talking heads when Day'un went to the rally with Kody) yet do so with amazing frequency.

4 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I didn't mind Kody's kilt because I think he had to wear it a bit higher as it was too tight to wear at the proper length. I believe he commented a time or two about it being a bit small.

I could be wrong, but I think the Kilts are adjustable to a small degree.  Kody was asking Mitch if his was too tight - like it could be loosened.  His also seemed to be a bit higher on the waist than the other men's.  Mitch replied to wear it however he was comfortable.  Kody could have worn it a little looser, it would have sat a little lower, and been a little longer.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

Or look at Kody when he's speaking or something.   That was really uncomfortable.

I'm sure HE was very uncomfortable.  I'm not sure if he was in attendance with his current wife/wives? but if he was, they may have been in the same category of dowdy, frumpiness as the Brown wives.  Seeing Hannah there all glamorous and sophisticated may have been a painful reminder of what he had lost.

s

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I'm sure HE was very uncomfortable.  I'm not sure if he was in attendance with his current wife/wives? but if he was, they may have been in the same category of dowdy, frumpiness as the Brown wives.  Seeing Hannah there all glamorous and sophisticated may have been a painful reminder of what he had lost.

I thought Mitch said his parents never practiced polygamy.  I think he was probably just really uncomfortable with being part of the Brown Family Shit Show!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, suomi said:

For some people dancing in public is almost like going naked in public and in their minds both are rated equally as difficult. We don't expect anyone to walk around nude but we expect everyone to dance. 

THIS!  I don't slow dance.  I was not raised dancing, and it's not something I ever cared to learn.  I have nothing against it; it's just not in my skill set.  And I know I would feel TERRIBLY awkward.  But, alas, our son is getting married in November and, gosh darn it, I AM gonna dance with him.  So Mr J will teach me and hopefully it won't be a frightening as Christine's version of "Let Me Call You Sweetheart." All this to say...I'm sure there are lots of people "WHOOOOOO don't slow dance". 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

I did wonder if she had a microphone under it

She did. It was very obvious in the dancing scenes. Black box partway shoved into the back of her dress. You would think that TV crews would find a way to attach/camouflage those things by now.

• Love 5