Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E08: Week 8 - Hometown Dates

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

It really bugged when Caelyn said to Cassie "I love you. Go get engaged." WTF was that? Those two irritate me to no end.

That did add a bit of credence to The Katie and The Monotones Theory of Cassie and Caelynn as Wrong Reasons co-conspirators. But based on both girls’ reactions, it appears the master plan was for Caelynn to be the winner and Cassie to be The Bachelorette. But Caelynn will flip the switch real fast—okay now YOU get engaged and I’ll go audition in the limo. Or, frankly, I don’t think any of them are actually into Colton, but you’re just going to root for your friend. Or, third alternative, Caelynn is a pageant girl, so that seems pretty status quo behavior. You hold hands with a fake smile while waiting for the finalists to be announced, and when you don’t make the cut, you give a big hug and endorsement to the girl standing next to you—you’re totally going to be Miss America!!! Alright, I’m going with my final theory there.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Tatortot said:

The previews for next week showed Cassie in the car crying!!!

Don't believe everything you see in previews. Too many times we never see that scene in the show, it's just in previews to get us to come back next week.

45 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I haven't seen a series yet where there was any confirmed banging of multiples.

Nick Vial caught all kinds of online hell for asking (was it Andi? JoJo?) why she had sex with him in the FS if he was going to be sent home the next day. I doubt anyone wants that hate to happen to them.

I personally don't care what anyone does behind closed doors, but if I were one of the three b-ettes, there would be no sex happening in my FS. If I got sent home afterward, at least I would be going home with a clear(er) conscience.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8

I found it interesting when Caelyn told Cassie to “go and get engaged” given that there were two other ladies still there. It does add credence to what the other ladies said in that they thought they would or should be the final two.  If I could ask Caelyn one question it would be “why does she believe it’s bull sh$t that Colton would give a rose to Taysha before her and Cassie?” 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I found it interesting when Caelyn told Cassie to “go and get engaged” given that there were two other ladies still there. It does add credence to what the other ladies said in that they thought they would or should be the final two.  If I could ask Caelyn one question it would be “why does she believe it’s bull sh$t that Colton would give a rose to Taysha before her and Cassie?” 

I saw that comment more as, I don't really care for the other two girls and you're my bestie, so I hope you win the prize (though the prize is subjective lol.) Although it's lookin like Cassie's prize would be to be the bachelorette. She has no interest in Colton and it shows.

• Love 4

I thought Caelynn's exit/Bachelorette audition was LAME. The girl has no lack of self-esteem and I am afraid we will be seeing the first Beauty Pageant Bachelorette.  Also, Colton is so dull ... did they show him offering her any kind of excuse? I know they couldn't really show what he was thinking "Hope Position 4 is good enough for your Bachelorette chances!"

What was with the skydiving? Seriously. What kind of an insurance policy does ABC have on its lead that allows for SKYDIVING? 

Hannah G's mom was not what I expected ..... all I could think of was her tearing up the front lawn in her car.  

I love Cassie. She can't bring herself to lie to Colton but couldn't really get the message across to her Dad with the cameras rolling that she wasn't going to do anything permanent or rash. Just roll with it as long as she was able to and then break it off after hitting 600000 Instagram followers.  But why don't these girls explain it all to their Dads before they leave for the show? These girls owe this show nothing ... and if the Bachelor wants to take them along I'd go along too. It's a Use/Use situation at this point, and I don't blame these young women for capitalizing/making $$$ from Fleiss/ABC, which basically holds them hostage for however long they are there.   

• Love 3
17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Will some dad ever be like "I mean, I support your relationship, but its not up to me if she marries you, its up to her. She isnt a tractor your borrowing for the weekend." Or something. I mean, I get why they dont wanna say that on TV (step dad John looked kinda confused!) but what?

15 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I didn't hear a word Caelynn's sister said because of her eyeshadow and eyelashes weighing her eyes down like a shiny metallic glop.  She came ready for her 1.2 minutes of fame with the boobs out.

She also looked like she'd spent hours in front of a mirror practicing her best angles. She spent the whole conversation with her head angled up in an awkward way to avoid a double chin or something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

First time posting here, I did want to reply to the question that Tennisgurl (and others) asked. Yes! This did sort of happen, it was Sean's season as The Bachelor, the "hometown" dates were fairly atypical for this show.

So...Sean had his selection down to four women. AshLee, Catherine, Desiree, Lindsay.

AshLee's  parents were a bit concerned in that she had been married before, they did not want to see her "heartbroken" again. Otherwise, they did not seem to mind Sean, figuring (if I recall correctly), that even though he was from Texas as they were, he was from a different city so no resulting accidental awkward meetings if it didn't work out (and it didn't). AshLee was a bit older than Sean and the other contestants, she likely moved on with her life after finishing (3rd?). Did appear for a while on BACHELOR IN PARADISE, I think.

Catherine, the father was dead and/or divorced. No "asking the dad's permission/blessing" therefore. I do remember Catherine's sisters objecting, not so much to "The Bachelor format" or Sean, to the idea of a man breaking up their all-female family (mother seemed neutral). Was a bit put off by Catherine just standing there and not "fighting for the relationship" (what she said to the sisters off-camera I don't know). Of course, Catherine did wind up with Sean and they are still married.

Desiree, the problem was not the parents but her brother. The brother threatened to punch Sean in the mouth (and it was the parents who were warning him to "cool it" and avoid wrecking Desiree's and their "big chance" for fame and fortune). Sean (not surprisingly) eliminated Desiree after the hometowns. He said her brother was not the reason (truthfully?) and she said later that her brother liked Sean (?!). However, Desiree did become The Bachelorette and end up marrying Christopher Siegfried so things worked out for her, also still married. Did her brother appear on Desiree's Bachelorette season?

Lindsay, her father was a Commanding Officer, a General in the U.S. military. Sean met him, appropriately, at a military base. The General took Sean to a bar in his home (I suppose when you have high rank you get these things). I (and Sean probably) thought the General was going to put Sean through "boot camp," an obstacle course and so on. But no, the General was amused by that idea and said if they wanted to get married, they had his blessing. Yet like soldiers in the field they were going to have to be adult and responsible enough to think for themselves, make their own decisions. He was very wise. Sean ultimately did not choose Lindsay, she did not appear on any subsequent Bachelor shows, hope her life has gone well.

There you have it. Four hometown dates, no Bachelor groveling/asking for permission. Even with brother/sisters objections (this was why I would have gone with AshLee or Linday over Catherine or Desiree). Two resulting marriages, again atypical.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Mswldflwr said:

So what do you do if they only have one butter plate on the table?  Can you imagine having to ask them to pass the butter 17 times just so you can get through dinner?

How to put butter on the bread is covered in lesson 2.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This is the first ep we watched of this season in the MML house. Colton and Caelynn are a really cute couple—he looked like he had instant deep remorse and regret. We did not sense any chemistry with the other three. 

I would watch a whole season of the fence jumping. 

Jojo’s mom still wins the hometowns Oscar for drinking champagne straight from the bottle.

• Love 3

When Colton asked about meeting Caelyn's parents, she made a point of saying that her dad won't be there, he's not in her life, but her stepdad will, and he's been around forever.   Then she tells stepdad that he's been her dad most of her life, the only dad she ever had, or something to that effect. 

SO -  why couldn't she just say to Colton that her PARENTS will be there?  why does she have to say that her father won't be there, but her stepfather will?   it seems to me, your dad is whomever fills that role for you, and there's no reason to qualify it by mentioning your biological father.  

• Love 13

I used to watch The Bachelor many moons ago and stopped watching because of it's total fakery and formulaic story lines. Last night I was flipping the channels and saw it was the hometown visits episode so I decided to watch a bit of it. Since I haven't watched this season I don't have comments because I don't know any of the people. Just wanted to make two quick observations. The pageant queen's makeup was too much. I know that's the pageant look but it makes her look way older than early twenties. Tone it down. Also, the segment during the credits of that white family from Alabama rapping and the Dad beat boxing was creepy and weird. Ugh. That is all. Back to the snark, folks.

Edited by Matty
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

What kind of an insurance policy does ABC have on its lead that allows for SKYDIVING? 

Oh man, I didn't even think about the insurance aspect of that "date." Although I'm guessing the skydiving-company owner has massive insurance to cover everything. But that could have been The Most Drah Matic Episode EVAH if Colton had broken his leg (or something).

Opportunity missed!

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh man, I didn't even think about the insurance aspect of that "date."

I think I noticed a bunch of other people in the plane, taking iphone movies. So they couldn't even spring for a "private" skydiving experience?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Hmmmm I don't know any of these people.   I guess that's why the whole fantasy suite thing seems anticlimactic (pun intended) to me because it seems to be all for show.   I haven't seen a series yet where there was any confirmed banging of multiples.   I thought what's his face whose name I already forgot banged Raven but it turned out to not have happened apparently.   But I remember when I first started watching I was incredulous at the premise of Fantasy Suites and either the Bachelor or Bachelorette having sex with all 3 people that week and then picking a winner.   And also getting rid of someone right after LOL.   Just seems odd and cruel.   

I mean I guess IRL you can be dating several people and sleeping with some of them and then decide that one is really the best out of the lot.....I think this format is so compressed though so it seems strange.   Plus you are living with and knowing the other girls/guys.....that makes a difference to me.   It seems different when you don't know the other people or what's going on.  

I have never been able to understand how a bunch of women can date the same guy, know they are all kissing him and maybe more, and how they are so supportive and loving with each other. I guess it is stockholm syndrome. I kissed an old boyfriend of my best friend at a wedding like a zillion years ago and she was furious with me. It is so interesting.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Don't believe everything you see in previews. Too many times we never see that scene in the show, it's just in previews to get us to come back next week.

Nick Vial caught all kinds of online hell for asking (was it Andi? JoJo?) why she had sex with him in the FS if he was going to be sent home the next day. I doubt anyone wants that hate to happen to them.

I personally don't care what anyone does behind closed doors, but if I were one of the three b-ettes, there would be no sex happening in my FS. If I got sent home afterward, at least I would be going home with a clear(er) conscience.

I thought what Nick did was GREAT!!!!! Andi cut him off, refused any explanation and he was devastated, and it was the first time he had to talk to her. ---she should have spoken to him, although her Bachelor pick (forgot his name) looked so mad lol, I did feel a bit sorry for her.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Eh tomato , tomotto. That might mean something different on this show , but in real life it would still make you an asshole for saying it to all 4. 

Colton did not tell any of the ladies that he loves them.  He told them he was "falling in love" with them.  Big difference.  If memory serves, Ben was the only Bachelor to ever tell two women he loved them.

Actually, good old lunkhead Andy Baldwin told Bevin on their overnight that he "frikkin loved her" and she was so blindsided when he dumped her and he told Tessa he loved her too. Back in the day it was VERY Much BIG news. 

5 hours ago, dleighg said:

She also looked like she'd spent hours in front of a mirror practicing her best angles. She spent the whole conversation with her head angled up in an awkward way to avoid a double chin or something.

Im mortified because last nite I actually thought she had a deformity on her left side. Im still wondering about it. Im telling yu=ou, she looked like a distorted brit from Chris soules season

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

Colton did not tell any of the ladies that he loves them.  He told them he was "falling in love" with them.

Later he amended that in a VO: "I FEEL LIKE I'm falling in love with them." Yet another difference! But it made me wonder, since love is a feeling, if you are feeling you are falling in love, wouldn't that translate to you feel like you have a feeling? *drink*

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Matty said:

I used to watch The Bachelor many moons ago and stopped watching because of it's total fakery and formulaic story lines. Last night I was flipping the channels and saw it was the hometown visits episode so I decided to watch a bit of it. Since I haven't watched this season I don't have comments because I don't know any of the people. Just wanted to make two quick observations. The pageant queen's makeup was too much. I know that's the pageant look but it makes her look way older than early twenties. Tone it down. Also, the segment during the credits of that white family from Alabama rapping and the Dad beat boxing was creepy and weird. Ugh. That is all. Back to the snark, folks.

Yes, yes....the dad doing the shh...shh sounds, trying waaay to hard to be, cool?!  I felt embarrassment for him, and Hanna trying to do rap.  Rap is bad enough when rappers rap!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Last night's show was the first one I watched this season because I think Colton is a bore.

I liked Cassie the most because she seemed the most natural, but the main reason I liked her was because she was the only one who didn't run up to Colton and wrap her legs around him. 

51 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Caelynn's sister looks like she had a lazy eye and then I realised Caelynn has a droopy eye on the same side. It was really distracting and could not be unseen. At least we can see and know those two are definitely sisters. Family resemblance is a blessing and a curse. 

I noticed that too.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

You take a chunk of butter and put it on your bread plate....then each time you want a nibble you have your own butter stash.

Or you can just shove the whole roll in your mouth and chase it with a knob of butter and skip the pretenses.

I’m pretty sure “knob of butter” is my favorite phrase in 8 weeks of threads this season. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Why can’t I warm up to Tayshia?  I get no feels with her. 

Yeah, it’s like she’s following a script titled “How to be a Fun Girlfriend!” I imagine her parents and cool brother are completely embarrassed to be on this show. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

SO -  why couldn't she just say to Colton that her PARENTS will be there?  why does she have to say that her father won't be there, but her stepfather will?   it seems to me, your dad is whomever fills that role for you, and there's no reason to qualify it by mentioning your biological father.  

I disagree, if for no other reason than because on hometowns, there is a very good chance that childhood stuff will be talked about, and it would be needlessly embarrassing for Colton to inadvertently put his foot in his mouth with an innocuous comment to/about the stepfather regarding father-ish things from when Caelyn was very little.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm finishing up watching the episode. Caelynn's sister looks odd, I can't put my finger on it.  And the name is Caelynn, isn't it? I could swear I could hear Colton say Caitlyn. I like Cassie's dad.

12 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

What was with the skydiving? Seriously. What kind of an insurance policy does ABC have on its lead that allows for SKYDIVING? 

You are more likely to die from a bee sting or lightning than tandem skydiving. Bungee jumping is about the same. I thought it was a good payback for the earlier date of bungee jumping. I like Tayshia the best still. She seems the most fun and seems the most natural around Colton. Quite attractive too.

Hannah continues to be a waste of airtime. I really don't get the love for her. 

Glad Caelynn is out. Didn't see anything between them and the horse carriage ride along with ice cream in the face was the lamest of the dates. Oh wait, I forgot about the etiquette thing. Ok, second worse. 

Cassie's family hit the genetic lottery that's for sure. She did seem to be trying to convince herself that she was ready while talking with her dad. Not a good sign. She should just chill and enjoy life. She could get someone way better than Colton. 

I haven't watched before but do any of the main Bachelors or Bachelorettes have a sense of humor? Everything Colton does seems very scripted, stiff and frankly boring. The first time it felt like he had the personality of a normal person was when he said "who has time to butter every piece of bread you eat?" 

What I caught onto was that Colton wasn't always saying he was falling in love, he kept saying "I think I'm falling in love." I feel bad for all of the women and families that watch this back. I guess they know what they signed up for, except maybe the families themselves. Good for the multiple fathers asking the real questions.

Just bring on the fence jump. We are ready!

• Love 2
On 2/25/2019 at 6:36 PM, saber5055 said:

Just once I wish a parent would say: "Sally was such a brat growing up, like she knew everything and did whatever she wanted regardless of what we tried to tell her or teach her. If she gets her ass kicked by marrying this jerkface Colt-ton, then it serves her right. Be careful what you wish for and good luck with that you little snot. Now git off my lawn."

Something similar happened with Catherine and Sean. When her sister(??) said Catherine was a huge slob.

3 hours ago, lynxfx said:

he did seem to be trying to convince herself that she was ready while talking with her dad. Not a good sign.

I thought so also. I know this is a rhetorical question, but why do they have to have a proposal/engagement at the end? Why not choose one to "be with"? And the ones who get sent home, it's not like they are being sent to Australia on sail ship, never to be seen again. If you think you made a mistake, just pm them and start up again (yes I know, that's exactly what happened with Arie). I guess we all have to believe in the princess/diamond ring fantasy stuff.

Also, speaking of fantasy, I only started watching last week, but what is Colton's back story for being a virgin? I had assumed it's because he has a strong belief in waiting until marriage. If so, why on earth does *anyone* think he would give that up for anyone, not to mention three women, before marriage?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I thought so also. I know this is a rhetorical question, but why do they have to have a proposal/engagement at the end? Why not choose one to "be with"? And the ones who get sent home, it's not like they are being sent to Australia on sail ship, never to be seen again. If you think you made a mistake, just pm them and start up again (yes I know, that's exactly what happened with Arie). I guess we all have to believe in the princess/diamond ring fantasy stuff.

Also, speaking of fantasy, I only started watching last week, but what is Colton's back story for being a virgin? I had assumed it's because he has a strong belief in waiting until marriage. If so, why on earth does *anyone* think he would give that up for anyone, not to mention three women, before marriage?

We aren't 100% sure why he chose to remain a virgin but he has said he is not saving himself for marriage.

• Love 2
On 2/25/2019 at 7:23 PM, JenE4 said:

No rose for sister and her horrendous orange eyeshadow and fake lashes somehow possibly on backwards (thicker and longer on the inside of her eyes).

Maybe that's what made her look odd. There was something off about her and I couldn't figure it out.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:30 PM, JenE4 said:

It totally is. Yet, I laughed so hard at Colton’s incredulous, “Who has time  to butter ONE BITE of BREAD!?!”

I know that is how you eat a baguette slice (that's how they do it in France) but I didn't know you were supposed to eat a dinner roll that way, too.

22 hours ago, the eskimo said:

I thought last night made it obvious that Hannah is the "winner." With all of the other Dads, he carefully phrased his question "if it ends up that your daughter is the one, would I have your permission?" With Hannah's Dad he just straight out asked "can I marry your daughter?

Yes yes yes. This! I'm not spoiled, but that stuck out like a sore thumb and I decided she has to be the 'winner.'  He also seemed much more at ease with her family than the others...if I'm remembering correctly.

I am very happy that two dads (as I recall) basically said "No" to giving a blessing. I mean, what the hell, I just met you and have spent 2 hours watching how you and my daughter interact. AND you're dating three other women! 

I can't imagine being a parent and having my daughter take home a guy who she's been on 2 dates (tops) with, knowing he's dating 3 other women and having him ask for my permission to marry her. That's just bananas. And all of the families every season just seem la dee da about it. Even when the parents question the bachelor, they still end up sounding A-ok with it by the end of the hometown date. 

I honestly don't see any of the girls in the top 4 being a good bachelorette. Hannah and Cassie seem sweet but we haven't seen any sort of personality from either of them the whole season. Tayshia gives me Andi and Rachel vibes with the strong personality that is a little endearing when they're one of 25 but is annoying as hell when they're the lead.. and Caelynn's face bothers me to no end. Also, how is she 23?? She looks like she's at the very least in her mid thirties.

• Love 8

Yeah, I liked the dads withholding permission and I hate that anyone even asks anymore.  If they aren't old enough to make that decision on their own, then they aren't old enough to get married, IMO.  But even better, back in Mesnick's season, Melissa's parents refused to even appear on the show.   Even better, when she went on Dancing with the Stars, they sat proudly in the audience for every episode, making it clear that it was the Bachelor they objected to, not being on television.

(I know Rachel's dad didn't appear either, but that seemed to be because of his job as a judge)

• Love 3

I guess if I had to choose, I would want Cassie as the Bachelorette. She's so naturally beautiful, so that helps. I also think she would attract some interesting types of guys. I could definitely see a lot of men truly falling for the "surfer girl" type, and it makes for a much better season when the guys actually give a crap about the lead. She definitely doesn't seem that into Colton, but it might be fun to watch her actually fall for someone. BUT, not sure she has enough charisma and/or the ability to hold a conversation (though when has that ever been a requirement...)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

.. and Caelynn's face bothers me to no end. Also, how is she 23?? She looks like she's at the very least in her mid thirties.

She's 23???????   That IS shocking.   She does look like mid thirties easy but I knew she was in her twenties...late twenties I thought.  Too much thick pageant makeup at too early of an age.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, bosawks said:

I wonder if we could nominate the fence for bachelorette?

We’ve had worse....

I've got to hand it to Colton. It was an impressive jump. He made it look effortless. 

I could not figure out what was going on with Caelynn's sister's eyes. Was it poorly applied eye makeup or has she had too much filler? Her cheeks looked full and high, which I've seen in women with filler. It pushes their cheeks up and makes their eyes look smaller or distorted. 

Cassie's sister is really pretty! And Cassie is clearly thirsty, but not for Colton. 

Colton did not tell any of the ladies that he loves them.  He told them he was "falling in love" with them.  Big difference.  If memory serves, Ben was the only Bachelor to ever tell two women he loved them.

Yes, the "falling in love" is a copout and is used all the time. I wonder if Fleiss and Harrison had a meeting at some point and decided this was approved Bachelor-speak. It's enough to lead the woman on but not commit, whereas "I'm in love with you" or "I love you" is (was) only allowed for the final pick until Ben broke the rules. I guess all bets are off now. 

Just once I'd like to see a woman leap into handshake position and the Bachelor not grab her, just leave her hanging there like a crab. Or maybe he topples over. Oh but I'm easily amused. 

I missed the two-on-one date. There are so many creative ways to leave a person stranded and humiliated. How could they skip it? 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Sweet-tea said:

Yes, the "falling in love" is a copout and is used all the time.

yeah, what does that mean. It means "I like kissing you and feel warm and fuzzy when I kiss you and I can maybe imagine a life with you, but I'm still considering other options."

And speaking of imagining a life, I think it was his first date (I can't even remember which girl it was) and he was talking about kids, and a house, and a dog, and she's like "Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm imagining too!" Isn't it amazing that two fairly standard people are imagining EXACTLY the same future which includes a house, kids, and a dog! I guess it's meant to be!

Edited by dleighg
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

I could not figure out what was going on with Caelynn's sister's eyes. Was it poorly applied eye makeup or has she had too much filler? Her cheeks looked full and high, which I've seen in women with filler. It pushes their cheeks up and makes their eyes look smaller or distorted. 

I honestly assumed it was some sort of birth defect/facial disfigurement that she was trying to minimize with makeup (and distract from by showing her boobs) .   When she and Caelyn were sitting on the bed talking, it was clear that the positioning was to not show her swollen eye.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I still___ don't understand why Colton keeps giving her a rose?????

They seem to like each other and she’s pretty.  But it does seem platonic most of the time 

2 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I missed the two-on-one date. There are so many creative ways to leave a person stranded and humiliated. How could they skip it? 

Well we did have that kind of end to the date for 'Never Been Kissed' who was sent off alone on an empty train to who knows where...

• LOL 2