Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Aftermath of Brexit

Athena
  • Start Topic

Welcome back, John!

I totally thought we were going to get John Oliver's version of a British boy band during the whole response to this Brexit craziness at the end there, and I'm rather sad that didn't happen. 

That businessman who voted for Brexit without considering how it'd mess up his life pretty much sums up these past couple years. Way too many voters making horrible political choices because of selfishness/ignorance/stupidity. I feel for those of you who are going to be directly impacted by this (the bit about the risk to the stability of Northern Ireland was particularly frightening). I hope there's a miracle around the corner for you guys, but yeah, certainly not holding my breath on that. If not now, maybe somebody else down the line will be bold enough to fix this? 

As for Trump's "national emergency" speech, I heard that at work the other day, 'cause my boss had on something that was playing it, and I honest to God had to try and cover my ears as best I could after a few moments. Forget about all the complete and total bullshit that was in that speech, his voice alone is like nails on a chalkboard. 

And regarding New Zealand, I feel for them being ignored. That country is on my dream list of places I want to visit at some point in my life. 

• Love 12

Good to have John back, with tweaked credits! Marlon Bundo is at the very beginning! And there's Gritty-as-Kavanaugh!

I really wish us Americans had the high ground about the UK voting for Brexit. Such a total clusterfuck, or whatever word they'd use over there. The bits with Ireland and borders alone should have dissuaded voters.

10 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And regarding New Zealand, I feel for them being ignored. That country is on my dream list of places I want to visit at some point in my life. 

Minimum, they've given us Peter Jackson, Phil Keoghan, Flight of the Conchords, What We Do In The Shadows, and an endless flock of sheep. At least move New Zealand on the map into Australia or something.

• Love 7

I missed this show soooooo much! Over the past three months, there were just too many instances where it was direly needed.

I've never heard of Gogglebox, but it looks like it could become my new addiction.

Whose voice was that at the end? The credits didn't list it, but it sounded like Stephen Fry.

• Love 2

I don't get the purpose of the Brexit survival boxes. If you think there are going to be food shortages why not just but more dried goods and regular tinned items? If the main issue will be with fresh food the Brexit boxes won't help.

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Good to have John back, with tweaked credits! Marlon Bundo is at the very beginning! And there's Gritty-as-Kavanaugh!

Don't forget the addition of Russell Crowe's jockstrap -- Downunderus Downunderum

Or the UFO flying by the Scientology church.

• Love 6

Was that John Lithgow as Winston Churchill’s voice at the end?

I missed this show so much. There’s a huge issue with people making shortsighted political choices without really considering the long range ramifications.   It’s not just the UK but in the US as well.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That businessman who voted for Brexit without considering how it'd mess up his life pretty much sums up these past couple years.

Not just the UK. Here too. 

I've been following the issue a lot, so there wasn't much new here for me. One thing that is interesting is that Scotland was going to vote out of the UK and one of the reasons they didn't was because they'd have to go through the process of getting back into the EU. 

The border issue in Ireland is also complicated because I think Dublin can veto and plan that London puts out, so they both have to agree. 

I think the thing JO missed about the national emergency isn't that the courts are going to rule on whether it's actually an emergency or not. It's clearly not an emergency, but under the law, it is if he says it is. They're going to rule on the use of the funds, so it's going to be very narrow. 

• Love 3

I know this makes me a terrible awful ethnocentric ugly American, and I know John is British and the show airs in the UK, but doggone it, I wish the main story in his first show back after three months off would have been something related to Stupid Watergate.  He's done Brexit before, and the segment would have held up if he'd shown it next week.  It was a good segment, don't get me wrong.  I just needed some extended humor about the shitstorm that keeps raining on us here.

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

Was that John Lithgow as Winston Churchill’s voice at the end?

No.  It was hard to see in the credits, but it was Stephen Fry.  Also good to know that Voice-Over Guy David Kaye didn't actually leave as was hinted at last season.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 6

Gogglebox is popular in the UK and some of the participants have become minor celebs as a result of it. It's interesting that Oliver spoke about it this week because it's actually returning for a series premiere in a few days.

The Brexit issue is very complicated. I've lived in the UK and was recently in the UK when they held May's vote of no confidence from her own party. It divided the Conservatives as well as the whole Parliament. I am close to people who are pro-Brexit and still have not changed their opinion. I've started to understand why people do want to leave. I would say it's more an emotional stance, but there is a belief system that is distinct and relates to Britain's view of itself.

John is right about the referendum being flawed to begin with. There is a large population of Britons who feel left out. Even those who do are a bit more knowledgeable about the EU have issues with it and still want to leave. I don't think Britain is alone in that. France is having similar issues as well. However, the whole aftermath has not gone at all what anyone expected or wanted. Representative democracy has suffered a lot in Britain as a result.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Hello there John. Welcome back to commenting on the constant clusterfuck that is our lives now. I know you had to at least briefly address the Trump Temper Tantrum disguised as a National Emergency Declaration, but it was a nice change from the US media’s wall to wall Trumpalooza coverage for you to do a deeper dive into Brexit. They are truly fucked, aren’t they. 

• Love 5

I didn't see the Brexit story yet, I was infuriated by tv news people "shit talking the winner of Westminster Dog Show".

I know we all have our favorite breeds that we root for, but FFS.   What a bunch of assholes.

And who was that idiot woman who didn't know Chester Arthur was President. 

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, attica said:

I was yelling at tv "THEY FILMED LOTR THERE!!!"  

I'm all in for Jermaine Clemente and What We Do In The Shadows, film and tv show. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Yes, and not only wasn't smart enough to admit her ignorance, but doubled down on her stupidity.  It's as if we've ceded teaching of American history to "just google it" as the default learning activity.

44 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I was yelling at tv "THEY FILMED LOTR THERE!!!"  

Never having seen LOTR, I'm reduced to, "It's the home country of the guy who wore John Oliver's jockstrap, dammit!"  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And an updated version of Ollie, standing there, arms crossed, and turning. Although this time, he looked awkward when his back was to the camera.

I knew that seventysomething toddler flew out to Florida after declaring his temper tantrum national emergency over border funding. But him standing at that omelet bar? Christ on a cracker! I wonder if Ollie's missing the potential bigger picture in that Drumpf's national emergency could be a way to consolidate more power to himself in a slow moving coup.

Minimum, they've given us Peter Jackson, Phil Keoghan, Flight of the Conchords, What We Do In The Shadows, and an endless flock of sheep. At least move New Zealand on the map into Australia or something.

Not to mention their men's rugby team, the All Blacks. The pride and joy of that country.

I'd hate to be a citizen of Great Britain right now. I'd probably be on a suicide watch. I'd be willing to suggest it's better in the U.S. right now if only there's an opportunity to fix things ASAP with a presidential election, or even an impeachment. What's going to happen in the U.K. will linger like a rotting stench for at least a generation.

Welcome back Ollie.

• Love 2

I was in the UK in the fall of 2016.  I was in a small museum in Arundel, and struck up a conversation with one of the volunteers, a pensioner.  He asked me a lot of questions about the upcoming election (and Donald Trump), and the topic of Brexit came up.  He told me he had voted yes.  The main issue for him, and evidently a lot of yes voters, was the open borders that come with being part of the EU.  Britain is small and densely populated, there is a housing shortage, but because they are part of the EU they cannot control the influx of Europeans who are moving into the country.  He said he (and many others) were tired of being told what they could and could not do as a nation by TPTB in Brussels.  The main concern was the loss of sovereignty as a nation.  I found it fascinating, especially since he was appalled at the notion that Donald Trump could be elected president of the US.  I guess the populist parallels were lost on him.

Glad John is back.  I much prefer him to Bill Maher these days.  

So much happened over the weekend.  I would guess they had been preparing the Brexit story for a while, and had little time to devote to the "National Emergency".  But surely next week we will get a mention of #MarALardAss trending.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Athena said:

I am close to people who are pro-Brexit and still have not changed their opinion. I've started to understand why people do want to leave. I would say it's more an emotional stance, but there is a belief system that is distinct and relates to Britain's view of itself.

John is right about the referendum being flawed to begin with. There is a large population of Britons who feel left out.

I heard a piece on NPR explaining that there is a significant population who have not felt heard and who have mostly given up on voting. But they turned out for the referendum, so the reluctance to call a new vote comes from not wanting to prove to this group that their vote indeed does not matter—“We'll just keep redoing it until we get the ‘right’ result.”

I did not know until John's piece that there isn't actually time to schedule a new election, so it really is up to the elected officials to grow a backbone and say that they refuse to wreck the country. There’s a good argument to be made that the vision of Leave does not match the reality, but I don't hold out much hope for political will. I'm most worried for everyone dependent on imported medicines. 

• Love 6

I know Chester A. Arthur because of Die Hard with a Vengeance. It was the answer to one of the clues from Simon. 21st President. Seinfeld drilled in that Martin Van Buren is the 8th President. Funny how those tid bits stick with you.

Glad to see John is back, but was hoping for something closer to home than Brexit. Still interesting to watch with no idea how this is all going to play out.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I know Chester A. Arthur because of Die Hard with a Vengeance. It was the answer to one of the clues from Simon. 21st President. Seinfeld drilled in that Martin Van Buren is the 8th President. Funny how those tid bits stick with you.

So true.

Jerry Parks: "Chester A. Arthur. 1881 to 1885. Nominated Vice-president in 1880. Did you know that he was Collector of Customs right here in New York ?"

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:16 PM, Lantern7 said:

I really wish us Americans had the high ground about the UK voting for Brexit. Such a total clusterfuck, or whatever word they'd use over there. The bits with Ireland and borders alone should have dissuaded voters.

Also Crowded House!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I didn't see the Brexit story yet, I was infuriated by tv news people "shit talking the winner of Westminster Dog Show".

I know we all have our favorite breeds that we root for, but FFS.   What a bunch of assholes.

She was so certain about Arthur that I was starting to doubt myself!

I know it's ridiculous, but the fact that some of them were talking negatively about the winner in front of him made me even more offended.  Like it would hurt his doggy feelings or something...I know, I know.  But still.  RUDE!

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I know it's ridiculous, but the fact that some of them were talking negatively about the winner in front of him made me even more offended.  Like it would hurt his doggy feelings or something...I know, I know.  But still.  RUDE!

Agree!  I'm disappointed every year in the toy group when the Lhaso Apso wins over the Pom (my dog).  But I don't say rude things about him.  Other than, How can they think he's cuter than a Pomeranian??!! 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Also Crowded House!

No no no no no. New Zealand has given the world many wonderful things, but I must claim Crowded House for Australia (where I live). Two out of the three main members of Crowded House were Australian, and they wrote their most successful songs in Australia.

I laughed loud and long at Ollie's line chiding mapmakers for leaving NZ off their maps as if it were 'Australia's imaginary friend'. Bwah! The thing is, for many years here in Australia we kind of thought of NZ as our little brother/sister and made lots of sheep jokes about it. These days, many of us wish we could be NZ, with its excellent prime minister, its treaty with its Indigenous people, and its kindness towards asylum seekers. We haven't had any of those things for a long time, and it's depressing.

Edited by purist
  • Love 8

Met some English tourists at a Thai restaurant in NYC this winter. The older lady was very pro Brexit. Had t the heart to get into it with her- she made some comments about not wanting to be part of the EU in the first place.

i think some people want a Return to just English money and things like that. It hasn’t been thought through- I wish John had shown thenappeal. You can’t go back in time to the 60s. I did like his comments about how you shouldn’t HAVE to understand it all, we elect politicians. 

Actually while I love stupid watergate and I’m sure we’ll get more I do enjoy his takes on what’s going on in the rest of the world because it gets completely ignored over here.

neithet Rachael or Lawrence said one word about the 8 MPs who left labour to be independent because of antisemitism, and I still don’t understand what it means.

• Love 3
On 2/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, snowwhyte said:

I don't get the purpose of the Brexit survival boxes. If you think there are going to be food shortages why not just but more dried goods and regular tinned items? If the main issue will be with fresh food the Brexit boxes won't help.

I think the issue was the feeling that they wouldn't be able to get "foreign" food.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:38 AM, Athena said:

Gogglebox is popular in the UK and some of the participants have become minor celebs as a result of it. It's interesting that Oliver spoke about it this week because it's actually returning for a series premiere in a few days.

I'll definitely be checking out Gogglebox. How long has it been on the air?

On 2/18/2019 at 2:44 PM, Victor the Crab said:

And an updated version of Ollie, standing there, arms crossed, and turning. Although this time, he looked awkward when his back was to the camera.

I thought that was new. Thanks for confirming that.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:43 PM, biakbiak said:

Fun fact he did not have a dog. 

Something in common with Trump. Makes me think of the rally where one guy yelled out that Obama had a dog, as if dog ownership is shameful.

• Love 2
On 2/19/2019 at 6:38 AM, Athena said:

Gogglebox is popular in the UK and some of the participants have become minor celebs as a result of it.

We have a version in Australia too. IMO it's one of the best shows on TV.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'll definitely be checking out Gogglebox. How long has it been on the air?

Since 2013 with two series (seasons) per year. They are about 15 eps per series. I'll be honest; I've never watched a full episode. I've seen clips over the years, but John reminded me to try and watch a full episode or two.

The US/Canada adaptation they made was "The People's Couch" which has since been cancelled. I never saw any of that so not sure if it stuck to the original adaptation. I think the Australian one is supposedly much more aligned to the UK model.

• Love 1

The Breunion Boys may sound like a stunt, but the group has grabbed more attention than most activists in the bitter debate around Brexit, as Britain’s departure from the European Union is known, including in British media outlets that support the withdrawal. Since posting the clip for their debut song, “Britain Come Back,” online in December, they have appeared on daytime television and in tabloid newspapers.

The video for the song has also appeared on several comedy TV shows, especially a part when Seyed Hosseini, 22, raps “look at what you leave behind” while showing his abs. (John Oliver showed it on HBO’s “Last Week Tonight” then called the band “a pretty solid argument for leaving the E.U. on any terms necessary.”)

The woman behind the group, Julia Veldman, 30, an animator from the Netherlands, said in an interview that she genuinely believed the Breunion Boys could have an impact. “I’m very sincere,” she said. “People have tried a lot of facts and arguments and they haven’t moved the debate one inch. So we can but try with emotion.”

“We know this is funny,” she added. “But that’s the strength of it. There’s no light or air anywhere in the Brexit debate. Now people talk about us, and then we can say how we feel. We’re a bit like a Trojan horse.”

Trying to Stop Brexit, Using Catchy Songs and Washboard Abs

• Love 1

I'm glad they focused on Brexit, Love Island clip notwithstanding. I read what I can about it, but I still don't ever feel like I fully understand all of the layers of European trade agreements and social politics and parliamentary procedure involved, so it's helpful to me. Meanwhile, I get plenty of coverage of our own political garbage fires over here, and a break to think/learn about something else is welcome.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:48 PM, Athena said:

The US/Canada adaptation they made was "The People's Couch" which has since been cancelled. I never saw any of that so not sure if it stuck to the original adaptation. I think the Australian one is supposedly much more aligned to the UK model.

I first learned about Gogglebox because of The People's Couch (and I still miss TPC). It can be kind of hard to find over here in the US, but it's well worth watching.

Not only did that idiot TV presenter double down on her Chester A. Arthur denying (100% sure!), but she was so obstinate that the guy was almost conceding by the end.  Dude, you don't have to look it up.

I never catch all the little things in the credits, but I did see Marlon Bundo. I'll have to look out for the jock strap.

In conclusion, all terriers are the best.

• Love 5