Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

I hope the movie doesn’t treat Mysterio stage-managing all this to make himself look cool as a big twist, since it’s pretty obvious to anybody who knows anything about the character.

It looks like a lot of fun.

Nick Fury so faded into the background in Phases 2 & 3 that I initially thought he might be a permanent casualty in Infinity War just because he was a recognizable character that they no longer seemed to have much use for.  But he’s coming back in a big way in 2019.

We even go the fishbowl.  Really looking forward to this movie, plus it has Venice which is always a treat (I was there a couple years ago so it's fun to see if I can spot familiar locations).

5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Happy's kinda outkicking his coverage there.

I'd never heard that phrase before until my husband used it talking about our own son and his girlfriend. We're horrible parents. ;)

• LOL 2

I cannot wait.  I'm all for Aunt May being Peter's Spiderman publicist there.  I LOVE the souped up Spiderman Marvel music!  And I will happily take Zendaya's non-canon MJ over Kirsten Dunst's whiny bitch Mary Jane Watson any damn day of the week.

• Love 14

GAH!!! I'm at work and I was in a big huge hurry this morning and didn't see that the trailer dropped. Too many people around and I can't watch! Might have to go watch it in the bathroom. Fucking dying over here. I cannot wait for this movie!

38 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I will happily take Zendaya's non-canon MJ over Kirsten Dunst's whiny bitch Mary Jane Watson any damn day of the week.

Yeah, I completely agree.  Also, this version of Flash Thompson has grown on me. At first I was very meh on him.  But this version certainly fits with this group of kids more than some over muscled  jock/frat boy cretin would for sure.

I hope Betty has more to do in this one. I really enjoy the actress. A cute little romance with Ned would be nice.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Might have to go watch it in the bathroom.

You should. lol. And to think there used to be a time when I didn't watch trailers.

16 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Yeah, I completely agree.  Also, this version of Flash Thompson has grown on me. At first I was very meh on him.  But this version certainly fits with this group of kids more than some over muscled  jock/frat boy cretin would for sure.

I like that these kids look like normal high school kids, not the CW version of that.

• Love 4

This looks so delightfully charming! I can’t wait to see Aunt May as Spider-Mans PR person, more of Peters relationship with MJ (I love Kristen Dunst, but her MJ was a whole lot of boring), and seeing Spider-Man in a new location! And I geek out every damn time I hear the old Spider-Man song! 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This looks so delightfully charming! I can’t wait to see Aunt May as Spider-Mans PR person, more of Peters relationship with MJ (I love Kristen Dunst, but her MJ was a whole lot of boring), and seeing Spider-Man in a new location! And I geek out every damn time I hear the old Spider-Man song! 

Doesn't that give away to secret though? I mean it's cute and, all but, seems a bit weird now that i think about it.

I had concerns about Spiderman showing up in Europe but this looks like Spidey really won't. Like most of the time Peter is trying to be on the down low. 

Loved Aunt May embracing Peter as Spiderman.

Don't love Happy and May but the thing is... early reports made it seem like it was a thing in progress. But it seems like EVERY man can't help but flirt with May and that was all that was happening. 

I just love MJ, "I am just messing with you." she clearly likes him but may not know how to react to such things and always reacts but pretending like she doesn't care. 

The teenager / John Hughes vibe is still strong and if Betty is there seems like she might have joined academic decathlon?  

Do have to side eye at Peter not getting any spider sense at Nic Fury sitting in his room but maybe it is because Nick isn't a threat to him. 

One thing, what happened to Peter's bedroom? It was wayyy bigger in the last movie. 

3 minutes ago, BooBear said:

she clearly likes him but may not know how to react to such things and always reacts but pretending like she doesn't care. 

Aw, I think she comes across as pretty confident even though it's obviously still a new-ish thing for them.  I like that she teases him and challenges him, and challenges the 'standard flirting dialog' (which I think is kinda more of an anti-John Hughes vibe and I love that too!).  Especially when she tells him he's pretty too.  :-D  

I wondered about Fury and Peter's SpidySense too, but I like that idea... that he doesn't sense him because Fury' isn't a threat.  

• Love 2

I wish the Marvel movies cared more about romance, because I do think this Peter and MJ have the most potential as a couple than anyone in the MCU since Tony and Pepper.

But I'm pretty sure what's going to happen is flirting that doesn't go anywhere.

I think Marvel gave up on romance since the ones they tried flopped big-time (Thor and Jane, Black Widow and Hulk). Now any kind of romance is a jokey side plot (even Tony and Pepper have been reduced to that, and don't get me started on Ant-Man and the Wasp) or nothing.

But that means they'll never do a movie where the love story is actually central to the movie and the plot, like in the early Superman movies, and the early Spider-Man ones. If they have an actual good couple at the center there could be real potential there, and I think these two could have it. But they won't do it.

• Love 1

Although I was not a big fan of Homecoming, this does look like it has some fun moments. The Happy/May scene looked pretty funny, but hopefully Happy isn't quite such an asshole in this.

Also, thoroughly enjoyed the part where Fury shoots Ned with a dart gun. Hopefully that happens multiple times and Ned isn't in this much.

I wonder if the Nick Fury is alive secret got out after Sokovia, the world know about or remembers the decimation  or it was the cut of the trailer that explains Peter's  lack of shock of a dead man showing up to recruit him.

7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I wish the Marvel movies cared more about romance, because I do think this Peter and MJ have the most potential as a couple than anyone in the MCU since Tony and Pepper.

But I'm pretty sure what's going to happen is flirting that doesn't go anywhere.

I think Marvel gave up on romance since the ones they tried flopped big-time (Thor and Jane, Black Widow and Hulk). Now any kind of romance is a jokey side plot (even Tony and Pepper have been reduced to that, and don't get me started on Ant-Man and the Wasp) or nothing.

But that means they'll never do a movie where the love story is actually central to the movie and the plot, like in the early Superman movies, and the early Spider-Man ones. If they have an actual good couple at the center there could be real potential there, and I think these two could have it. But they won't do it.

I don't agree.  They've been taking a slow build with this potential relationship; it's clearly meant to be important.

I wouldn't say that Marvel gave up on romance either before -- Star-Lord and Gamora would be another case of a slow build relationship, one that was given a ton of weight in Infinity War and was certainly central to their tragic story there.  How that will play when/if the movies continue further remains to be seen, of course.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Unusual Suspect said:

Is there a reason it's Fury instead?

I suspect that post Endgame, Fury is back in charge of SHIELD. 

But I feel like Tony is probably fine (just otherwise occupied) since Happy is flirting with Aunt May... it just seems like that would be kind of awkward otherwise.    

• Love 1
14 hours ago, festivus said:

I like that these kids look like normal high school kids, not the CW version of that.

I could see a girl who looks like Angourie Rice on the CW, but she'd have to be aged at least a few more years. Zendaya, maybe, but I'd think she'd have to be playing an adult on a Flash type of show.

But yeah, they (and I guess Laura Harrier) are the only ones that come even close to fitting the mold.

The previous two Flashes were muscle-bound 26-year olds so it's still interesting to me how they remade his character.

Wasn't Jake Gyllenhaal offered Spiderman when Tobey Maguire decided to leave the franchise? This feels full-circle.

Edited by methodwriter85
5 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

But I feel like Tony is probably fine (just otherwise occupied) since Happy is flirting with Aunt May... it just seems like that would be kind of awkward otherwise.    

One weird thing about it is that it seems to give away the idea that no one is traumatized about what happened with Thanos.

Just in case

Spoiler

There is also mention of Iron Man and Thor at the end like they are still superheroes and no one is sad about them. Nothing like "this guy is like Thor and how Iron Man used to be" so it does seem to suggest that having the snap undone will be in a way where infinity war might never happen. (you would assume heavy damage from the snap in every major city but you don't see it) I heard there was a disagreement between Sony and Marvel about releasing this. My best guess is that Marvel didn't want to give that away.  But I am ok with it.  Also a person from Sony says this takes place right directly after End Game so it would seem there wasn't time to fix infastructure. I would think everyone, including happy, would be very upset if Tony was dead. People have speculated that when Happy says to Peter in the jet, you're all alone, that means Tony isn't coming/ dead. But I think it just means he is too far away / retired and there is too little time to call in the calvary. 

• Love 2

Seems a little silly to spoiler warning this, but just in case:

Spoiler

Mysterio is a very popular villain for Spider-Man, but I've never really liked him.  I thought that the idea that everything he did were movie stunts and special effects was pretty ridiculous, and stretching the bounds of credibility.  I mean, it's one thing to have the powers of a spider, and it's another to create an illusion that you have the powers of a spider.

So are Sandman, Molten Man, and HydroMan just special effects?

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Seems a little silly to spoiler warning this, but just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

Mysterio is a very popular villain for Spider-Man, but I've never really liked him.  I thought that the idea that everything he did were movie stunts and special effects was pretty ridiculous, and stretching the bounds of credibility.  I mean, it's one thing to have the powers of a spider, and it's another to create an illusion that you have the powers of a spider.

So are Sandman, Molten Man, and HydroMan just special effects?

To the spoiler, that is one theory. Also that the characters are different preexisting  Marvel  characters but with similar powers to the ones you named

• Love 1
On 1/16/2019 at 12:17 AM, Wynterwolf said:

Speculation but, just in case...

Spoiler

I am wondering how post Endgame Fury is back in charge of SHIELD and in Europe, I am wondering if the timeline hasn't changed so what Hydra didn't get into SHIELD.  Perhaps Cap goes back to the 40s at the end of end game and naturally, with Peggy, makes SHIELD legit (and then in the future much more powerful and global).

Also, there is widespread speculation that the End Game trailer is in some part false to avoid spoiling people. I am wondering if this trailer has done that too. Specifically the Aunt May opening homeless fundraiser part. It seems off to me. Perhaps a fake scene to throw us off of events in End Game.  Such as Tony passing away in that movie.  So Happy being so.. happy, is there to throw us off. 

I thought that was Thor in the screenshot. Lol. 

So they are going there with it being after Hulk's snap, so its 2023 in the MCU now. Its good to see Maria Hill again she hasn't done much since Winter Solider. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I thought that was Thor in the screenshot. Lol. 

So they are going there with it being after Hulk's snap, so its 2023 in the MCU now. Its good to see Maria Hill again she hasn't done much since Winter Solider. 

Where to place her into the story would be a question. Nick Fury was also missing in that period. They both showed up above Sokovia, and Maria Hill had contacts with Phil Coulson on TV where as Nick Fury showed up in the action on Agents of SHIELD.