Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh that's funny. Peter got the female hero butt shot.

But he's not quite twisted around far enough to do the old 'boobs and butt' shot, so beloved by comic book artists.

I find myself wishing that Maria Hill was in the Nick Fury role, here. They've not given Cobie Smulders enough to do in the MCU.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I am not even convinced there is an actual multiverse, or at least a hole in the universe. I mean why would anyone believe what Mysterio has to say.

Hide contents

He is a villain

But I assume no one know that...

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:31 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only thing that I would say "ruins" it is having Tom Holland telling the audience who are sitting there waiting for Endgame to start, why the preview for this movie will air after the movie. They should have left that out, and just shown the preview at the end. By having Tom say what he did, it sort of spoils what will probably happen, even if it's vague. If that make sense.

Heh. Tom tells spoilers a lot.

(edited)
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Man, they're really going all in on making Mysterio look like a swell guy

It makes me wonder how many people are unfamiliar with him from the comics and aren't going to bother to do a quick wikipedia search before they go see the movie

I'm not familiar with the comics at all and I never do wikipedia searches so I can go in as un-spoiled as possible.  Sorry, but I consider this post a spoiler.  I'll get over it, but still.....

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3

‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Reviews Warn Of Endgame-Sized Spoilers

There’s no spoilers in the article. It’s just a warning that the movie will be more enjoyable if you avoid spoilers. 

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm not familiar with the comics at all and I never do wikipedia searches so I can go in as un-spoiled as possible.  Sorry, but I consider this post a spoiler.  I'll get over it, but still.....

I agree. I think it’s time to leave this thread until after I see the movie. 

Any videos or photos officially released by the studios are not considered spoilers in this forum. However with big franchise movies, it may be a better to stay out of the threads until you've seen the movie to stay spoiler-free. Thank you.

I adore Tom Holland, such a sweet and remarkable young man. I definitely think he has been the best and most believable Spider-Man by far, and that's not a knock against Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield.

The reason I say most believable is mostly due to his youthfulness. You buy him as a high school student, whereas Tobey and Andrew were less credible is due to their roles before Spider-Man. Both played young men in their early 20s and/or college students or graduates, so to watch them go back and play teenagers in high school after the fact... Yeah, it always took me out of their performances.

Whereas Tom had just turned 19 when he was first announced as Spider-Man (June 2015), so you could definitely buy him as a 15-year-old Spidey. Plus, he had such a great presence in his brief appearance in Captain America: Civil War ("Do you guys remember that really old movie, The Empire Strikes Back?" still gets me every time).

Am so looking forward to this! I still haven't seen Avengers: Endgame, but my BF has and he said it was a 3-hour bore, and said I didn't miss much. I'll likely wait for the Blu-ray for that one.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

Am so looking forward to this! I still haven't seen Avengers: Endgame, but my BF has and he said it was a 3-hour bore, and said I didn't miss much. I'll likely wait for the Blu-ray for that one.

1) Your boyfriend is wrong (jk jk but he is) 2) I don't know if you've seen the trailers but you might be a little lost in FFH without seeing Endgame.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

1) Your boyfriend is wrong (jk jk but he is) 2) I don't know if you've seen the trailers but you might be a little lost in FFH without seeing Endgame.

Haha, I'll be sure to let him know!

I'll see if I can catch Endgame during a matinee or something. Also, a very plausible reason is that we have yet to watch all previous 21 films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, thus, he may not have had the same reaction as everyone else who has.

We did talk briefly about trying to catch up pre-Endgame, but considering there are 5-6 day work weeks involved, and maybe 4 hours every evening after work, it just seemed like such an enormous time commitment. Hell, we only watched Avengers: Infinity War for the first time the day Avengers: Endgame was released.

But we both enjoyed Spider-Man: Homecoming, so I think we'll definitely be checking this one out. And I am always down for more Spider-Twink!!

• Love 1

Honestly, you should watch Endgame in order to get an idea where the MCU stands when Spider-Man starts.  Plus, there is at least one scene in Endgame one has to see on the big screen at least once to truly take it in.

• Love 2
On 6/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, HeShallBMySquishy said:

Sorry to disagree with someone you know and presumably trust a lot... but he's incorrect. It's both exciting and a fantastic view. It moves fast too, for all that length.  That said, you'll get a LOT more out of Endgame if you are a devoted MCU film watcher. If you are a casual fan, seeing one or two here and there then there are big areas of Endgame which won't resonate with you, and I suppose that could manifest as boredom if you're constantly playing catch-up on references made in the movie. However, it's been said by pretty much everyone involved that Endgame is a fairly necessary prequel, viewing-wise, for Far From Home.  

• Love 10
(edited)

I need to see this again because thanks to transportation issues I missed the first ten minutes but I was still able to jump into the movie at the point where I started. I liked it a lot. I think the first one was better because it was a bit more straightforward and this one kind of wanders around a bit in the middle. But it was still fun and damn that Tom Holland is super charming. Jake G did a great job as well. It was a great wrap up of the end of Phase 3 and I can't wait for Phase 4.

My only quibble and it is an unpopular one, but I hope the next movie has less of an Iron Man specter hanging over it. I know that he was Peter's mentor in the MCU but I'm hoping that since this is the end of phase 3 we can kind of move on a little bit.

Stick around for both post credit scenes. They were so good! The first one had me in shock and the second made me giggle. Spoilers for the 2nd credit scene

Spoiler

Fury and Maria being Skrulls explained why Fury felt a little off, a little too intense with Peter at times and why they missed out of Beck's lies.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
  • Love 4
Spoiler

I thought it was enjoyable enough. I found it hard to be invested in the "Elemental" stuff in the first half, knowing it was all going to be revealed to be fake. I liked the second half more, when Gyllenhaal is going all in on the villainy.

I also just rewatched Civil War yesterday, and was wondering why they never again brought up the BARF technology, so I loved that reveal.

The post-credits scenes were fun, and I loved the JJJ reveal. Am I misunderstanding, or are we to take it that Hill has always been a Skrull? Either way, it makes Fury's incompetence in the movie make sense.

My problem with the post-credits cliffhanger is the one I have with most of these status quo-changing endings: I want to know what happens right after, but by the time we pick up, it'll likely be a good deal later. I'd rather this had happened mid-movie (even if it's in the next movie) and we actually saw him deal with the consequences.

Saw one of the first showings today.  Overall, I'll probably put it behind Homecoming since it didn't focus as much on the high school aspects of Peter's life, which I had surprising enjoyed in that one, but I still liked this quite a bit, and continue to be impressed over how they'e made this version of Peter and Spider-Man fit into the more modern world.  He's still a nerd, but one that has real friends and can be social with others, and I find that to be more the norm now compared to the sad-sack loners that Peter has been in the past films.  And the smaller characters like Flash, Betty, and the new Brad character all feel like high schoolers from this era, and not relics or cliches from the past.

Having general knowledge of the character's history, I knew that Beck/Mysterio was going to end up being the villain, but I liked how they pulled off the reveal and the reasons behind it, with him being the one behind all of that holographic technology we saw Tony use in Civil War, and was fired due to his behavior, which made him disgruntle to say the least.  And one of his allies being a minor character from the first Iron Man character was great.  Talking about going back!  I thought Jake Gyllenhaal was solid at first when Beck was playing up the "noble" aspects in the first half, but really took off once Beck revealed his true self.

I got nothing much else to say about Tom Holland except that I really do think he is the best live-action Peter Parker/Spider-man.  Just perfect casting.

Jacob Batalon continues to be great as Ned, and one of the best supporting friend characters out there.  Tony Revolori continues to be a perfect jackass as Flash.  Remy Hii fit in pretty well as Brad, and it was nice seeing Angourie Rice get more to do as Betty.  Speaking of which, Zendaya certainly was more prominent this go around, and I thought she shined.  I'm glad there was no fake-outs or twists, and MJ really is going to continue on knowing that Peter is Spider-Man.  And they're already dating!  Aww!

Mixed emotions over the overtly-cheesy "In Memoriam" bit for the Avengers that fell, because part of me was like "Too soon, man!", but another part of me thought it was hilarious, because that is so how a high school news production would have done that.  Complete with the out of focus shot of Vision, since it's doubtful he ever posed for pictures, and no one would have had a good photo of him.

The fight sequences with Mysterio were amazing.  Might even rival the ones in Doctor Strange.

While I think it makes sense for Tony's shadow to loom over Peter right now, I do hope Peter eventually starts becoming his own hero, and the references and mentions will become less and less.

Marisa Tomei was kind of wasted again as Aunt May.  As was Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill, sadly.  Honestly, I'm not sure why they haven't gotten her one of those shows on Disney+, because I feel like she'd be the perfect character for it.

But those end credits sequences though!  I'll spoiler tag those for now:

Spoiler

J.K. Simmons returning as J. Jonah Jameson was the greatest thing ever!  I liked that in this world the Daily Bugle is more of a news show here, and he is one of those ranting talking head pundits you see on every show ever.  It kind of reminds on how they used JJJ in the new Spider-Man game on Playstation 4.  But that was just icing on the big cake: Beck not only set Spider-Man up to be the bad guy, but exposed his identity to the world?  Uh oh!

Meanwhile, Fury and Maria were actually Talos and his wife this entire time?!  I thought something was off about Fury throughout the film, so that explained a lot of stuff, frankly.  But Nick is actually in space, chilling with a bunch of other Skrulls?  What is he up too?  But I'm glad for more Talos since Ben Mendelsohn is so great in the role.

All in all, it accomplished what it needed to do for me: show that there is pretty more life left in the MCU after Endgame, and I'm exited to see where it all goes next!

• Love 10
(edited)

I saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. I will say I missed the energy of the first showing on opening night with a bunch of nerds in Burbank, but oh well, my audience still had a good time. 

Tom Holland is perfection as both Peter and Spidey. I really love that he and his classmates are a bunch of awkward high school kids with all that entails. I was also good with the cursory explanation of what happened after the snap blip. 

I loved revisiting people Tony Stark pissed off with his arrogance, and that he cared enough about Peter to leave him EDITH (and what a perfect abbreviation.) And Jake was great as both the hero and villain. Mysterio setting up Spidey to be revealed by Alex Jones JJJ and saying people will believe anything now is a little too real right now. So kudos to the writers for that. 

Peter and MJ are adorable, and of course MJ had it 67% figured out. 

I was spoiled about Fury so I was on the lookout for him to be a bit off. SLJ was great as not quite Nick Fury. I'm so happy Talos and Fury are still in contact and working together. 

FFH even made me feel sad for Flash when no one was there to meet him at the airport. 

Finally, are we getting Secret Invasion? "Fury" made a comment that no one was supposed to know about the pockets of Skrulls on Earth or something like that. 

ETA: Perusing the IMDB page, I just realized the scientist from IM was freaking Ralphie gonna shoot your eye out? How did I not know this? 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

ETA: Perusing the IMDB page, I just realized the scientist from IM was freaking Ralphie gonna shoot your eye out? How did I not know this?  

He's good friends with Jon Favreau which is how he ended up in the first Iron Man movie.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

I was spoiled about Fury so I was on the lookout for him to be a bit off. SLJ was great as not quite Nick Fury. I'm so happy Talos and Fury are still in contact and working together. 

Finally, are we getting Secret Invasion? "Fury" made a comment that no one was supposed to know about the pockets of Skrulls on Earth or something like that. 

I wasn't spoiled but a big plot point in Captain Marvel had folks speculating when looking back at  the Infinity War post credits scene

Is it weird that the thing I’m most bothered by is that someone lied to us about May not surviving the snap? I know someone official, possibly a Russo brother, said she did. 

Overall I liked the movie. I did like that they got into a few of the consequences of the blip. Especially as that relates to high school students being annoyed at having to repeat half a year.

• Love 3

What caught me about the Blip was Aunt May coming back to find some other family had indeed took over her home. And for further speculation when the band blipped back in to be run over by basketball players does suggest that the collateral deaths from pilot-less vehicles during the snap or coming back in a bad place in the blip back were further victims of Thanos.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Raja said:

What caught me about the Blip was Aunt May coming back to find some other family had indeed took over her home. And for further speculation when the band blipped back in to be run over by basketball players does suggest that the collateral deaths from pilot-less vehicles during the snap or coming back in a bad place in the blip back were further victims of Thanos.

Now I’m thinking about thousands falling from the sky, stuck in the walls of new buildings, run over, and…for some reason…the possibility of a dude on an extended hiking trip who had no idea he was gone for five years until he got to a random ranger station, or town.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, revbfc said:

Now I’m thinking about thousands falling from the sky, stuck in the walls of new buildings, run over, and…for some reason…the possibility of a dude on an extended hiking trip who had no idea he was gone for five years until he got to a random ranger station, or town.

My head cannon is that Hulk wished them all back and alive so maybe the stones brought them back but made adjustments if the place they were returning to would not be good. 

Edited by BooBear
  • Love 7
(edited)

Just got back from seeing this. I loved it probably better than the first. The first was cute this one was more entertaining. I knew Mysterio was a bad guy so I wasn't surprised by that twist. I was surprised by Fury and Maria really being Talos and his wife. Although I was wondering why Fury had such a strong reaction to Peter saying Captain Marvel's name. I know her and Fury are friends but that seemed like a real weird reaction from him. Him being Talos makes much more sense, being she helped his people find a home and is probably good friends with him 30 years later. 

MJ being 67% sure Peter was Spider-man was great because she still didn't know if he was joking when he flat out told her he was Spider-Man. I really like this version of Peter and MJ. I also like how they explained the Blip in the beginning. Although why did they lie about May surviving the snap? 

I did kind of like that Quentin was kind of sincere with Peter. He did like him at first. Then his ambition took over.  

J.K. Simmons returning as J. Jonah Jameson was great and some kind of multiverse level stuff right there. Or they just figured no one else could play that character as well. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

We just got back and loved it!  We needed a Marvel movie that was just funny, especially after the seriousness of the last two Avengers movies.

Plot-hole for me:  I think Tony would have made sure EDITH (hilarious acronym!) would never turn on Spider-Man.  Ever.

I loved the cheesy high school news report at the beginning.  We gasped at the first credit scene.  I was surprised how many people left the theater before the credits rolled; it’s like they don’t even remember how Marvel works anymore.

So Mysterio stole the plot line from The Incredibles?  “No capes!”

• Love 2

I loved this one more than the first. Tom Holland is always good but I think this one made better use of the supporting cast. Everyone felt well developed. The only characters that felt off were Fury and Hill but that makes sense with the end credit scene.

The only thing I really didn’t like was no Karen. 

54 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Plot-hole for me:  I think Tony would have made sure EDITH (hilarious acronym!) would never turn on Spider-Man.  Ever.

I agree. I didn’t think of it until Peter gets the glasses back and is immediately able to take back control. I don’t really believe that Tony would ever build that system and put it a teenagers hand with zero oversight or instruction. 

I was really disappointed how Beck had so thoroughly pulled the wool over Fury's eyes and then the second end credits scene popped. I have to say, I did not see that coming.

Gyllenhall nailed Mysterio and the fights with Peter were perfect. Tony tends to leave a lot of disgruntled people around, doesn't he? Toomes, Beck.

J.K Simmons back as J .Jonah? Mmmmmmwah! J. Jonah and the Bugle as Alex Jones and InfoWars? [Slow Clap]

• Love 13

My whole theater just lost it when J.K Simmons showed up as J .Jonah Jameson, that was so amazingly done. And as some kind of Alex Jones take off/new show talking head!

I thought this was a ton of fun, and just what I needed after the heartbreak and confusion of Infinity War/Endgame. I just love Tom Hollands Peter Parker so much, he is just the sweetest most sincere kid, but also nails the comedy, action, and the drama, especially here as Peter is still reeling from everything in the last movies. Poor Peter, my sweet summer child. He is sadly such an easy target for unscrupulous assholes like Beck, being a rather trusting and naive teenager who just wants to help people, and is also very powerful and has tons of super dangerous tech laying around. One of my favorite of his scenes were the scenes with him and Happy on the jet, from when Peter just fell into his arms crying while Happy looks concerned and a bit freaked out, to the return of Back in Black. "I love Led Zeppelin!" 

I really like that the Spider-Man movies are being kind of used to show how regular people are dealing with and being affected by this huge larger than life comic book events happening, with people apparently being left homeless after being unsnapped and things like the endearingly awful school report on the events. The kid who was freaking out is honestly asking some good questions. "Does anything have a plan?!?" I missed more of the high school setting, but I did enjoy getting to know some of Peters classmates more. I even felt kind of bad for Flash a few times! MJ and Peter are such cuties, I am really liking this version of them. 

So, how many villain origin stories directly involve Tony, or his family at this point? Ultron and the Maximoffs (before they reformed), Toomes and his crew, Obadiah, Killian and Dr. Maya, Whiplash was Howard, and now Beck and this whole cabal of pissed off ex employees (including that guy from the first movie!), and I feel like I might be forgetting a few people. I mean, I love you Tony and this verse is a lesser place without you, but accidentally creating one villain? Understandable. Creating two? Someone to maybe look into? When you have enough people to field a football team? That could be a problem. 

• Love 12
(edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, ApathyMonger said:
  Hide contents

I thought it was enjoyable enough. I found it hard to be invested in the "Elemental" stuff in the first half, knowing it was all going to be revealed to be fake. I liked the second half more, when Gyllenhaal is going all in on the villainy.

I also just rewatched Civil War yesterday, and was wondering why they never again brought up the BARF technology, so I loved that reveal.

The post-credits scenes were fun, and I loved the JJJ reveal. Am I misunderstanding, or are we to take it that Hill has always been a Skrull? Either way, it makes Fury's incompetence in the movie make sense.

My problem with the post-credits cliffhanger is the one I have with most of these status quo-changing endings: I want to know what happens right after, but by the time we pick up, it'll likely be a good deal later. I'd rather this had happened mid-movie (even if it's in the next movie) and we actually saw him deal with the consequences.

I remember in the post Captain Marvel time frame some folks grabbed on to Maria Hill calling "Nick" and not "Fury". I haven't made an Avengers rewatch looking specifically  for the Nick/Maria scenes but it is possible that Talos also had a Captain Marvel pager and that was Talos and Soren who were snaptured in the Infinity War mid credits and blipped back.

Meanwhile with Nick Fury playing the long game in space with a Terrain/Skrull alliance building. So we may have Skrull allies standing in for LMD's that were expended on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. making appearances for key human players.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

J.K Simmons back as J .Jonah? Mmmmmmwah! J. Jonah and the Bugle as Alex Jones and InfoWars? [Slow Clap]

Just before that happened, when Spider-Man was running in the office Windows, I said wouldn't it be cool if that was the Daily Bugle and we flash to J. Jonah being pissed at Spider-Man?

I just about lost it when J.K. Simmons showed up as J. Jonah being all Info Wars.  He really was perfect casting for Sony/Rami's Spider-Man.

I enjoyed this movie, I thought Homecoming was better but, I really liked just about everything about this movie. I loved Mysterious, loved the connection to Tony/Iron Man. I cried at the In Memorial for Tony, Steve, Nat and Vision. Loved how much of this tied back to the Tony/Peter relationship.

Loved MJ in this movie and the MJ/Peter developing relationship. Loved that she was 67% sure but, when he came clean she still doubted her own knowledge.

I wish I was unspoiled but, someone spoiled the whole Mysterio/villain thing last year which was annoying so I knew he was up to something the entire time.

I did love the the final credit scene with Talos and his wife being Fury/Hill the whole time. It does explain a lot because I felt First was off but, couldn't place it. Just figured it was post Snap PTSD.

I liked how they handled the Dusting/undusting (I will never call it The Blip).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Just before that happened, when Spider-Man was running in the office Windows, I said wouldn't it be cool if that was the Daily Bugle and we flash to J. Jonah being pissed at Spider-Man?

I just about lost it when J.K. Simmons showed up as J. Jonah being all Info Wars.  He really was perfect casting for Sony/Rami's Spider-Man.

I enjoyed this movie, I thought Homecoming was better but, I really liked just about everything about this movie. I loved Mysterious, loved the connection to Tony/Iron Man. I cried at the In Memorial for Tony, Steve, Nat and Vision. Loved how much of this tied back to the Tony/Peter relationship.

Loved MJ in this movie and the MJ/Peter developing relationship. Loved that she was 67% sure but, when he came clean she still doubted her own knowledge.

I wish I was unspoiled but, someone spoiled the whole Mysterio/villain thing last year which was annoying so I knew he was up to something the entire time.

I did love the the final credit scene with Talos and his wife being Fury/Hill the whole time. It does explain a lot because I felt First was off but, couldn't place it. Just figured it was post Snap PTSD.

I liked how they handled the Dusting/undusting (I will never call it The Blip).

There was an absolute spoiler about Mysterio? He has been a villain for Spider-Man since the beginning. While it may have been possible for a switch up as with the Skrulls there is no getting away from fan speculation that he was a fake in the promo's

I guess the official movie terms were the Decimation in Endgame and then when Hulk brought people back the cute Blip came into use.

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Raja said:

There was an absolute spoiler about Mysterio? He has been a villain for Spider-Man since the beginning. While it may have been possible for a switch up as with the Skrulls there is no getting away from fan speculation that he was a fake in the promo's

That is 100% a spoiler as far as I'm concerned. Revealing stuff about the comics has always been a spoiler on this forum. So yes someone saying back on page 1 that Mysterio is a villain and faking the elemental monsters is 100% a spoiler (as well as a shitty move, IMO) but, such is the Internet

• Love 5

Just back, I have to say this was not the best Spiderman for me but still good.

The good:

- loved the recap showing the kids being dusted followed by the clip of them returning. 

- loved the origin of the name Mysterio - ie in another country that is how it sounds to americans to say man of mystery and the name stuck.

- loved the effects of Mysterio. That was spot on as to how it is in the comics. I really didn't think they would be able to pull it off.

- loved Peter's melt down. 

- loved the first end credit scene with the daily bugle.net. I couldn't figure out how that would get on a NYC video screen but of course mainstream media picked up the story, as they would. Died laughing at the massive photo of Peter Parker up on the screen. 

- loved that they made it clear that Peter's spider tingle has been, up to now, spotty, fixing the issues with Homecoming.  Also loved that it saved the day.

The bad:
- I am completely tired of watching reluctant hero Peter. That was all the Rami films were about, which is why Homecoming was fun. And I didn't really think it fit. After watching your mentor give his life to be a hero, imho you would be even more inspired. Not wanting to blow things off. Peter would have given those glasses to a homeless man if it meant he could go back on his trip.  That is exactly the Peter who got Uncle Ben killed and I don't like to see it. 

- Everyone talked about Zendaya having more to do here, but I didn't see it. The moment  she figured Spiderman out she became a damsel in distress. IMHO the kids should have just gotten out of there and not been in specific danger.  To that end I thought Ned's character was poorly served the entire time. He so was not the guy in the chair for this entire movie. 

The ummm ok:
- I have no idea what to make of Fury being a skrull? Does this mean at various times the skulls have pinched hit for Fury or even avengers? 

• Love 2

I was a little disappointed that Janice wasn't a disgruntled accountant but they made up for it with her working on the cape.

The impression I have is that Fury went to space after Endgame. Carol was back, they reconnect, she asks for his help with whatever comes next/he volunteers, and they ask their good friend Talos to take his place. Hence Sam playing Fury as off compared to the other movies. I'm assuming Maria either went to space as well or is still on Earth doing another mission and wasn't available for the Mysterio mission so Soren steps in. I don't think we're supposed to think that Fury's been Talos this whole time or even part of the time, just that he was in this movie. An argument can be made for Soren being Maria the whole time but, again, I think she was for just this movie.

Speaking of, loved it! I was glad to see that May got dusted and the report was wrong. That explains why she showed no attachment issues regarding Peter's trip. She never lost him so she won't necessarily feel clingy with him returned. Plus May just seems to be a more positive person in general, what with putting a humorous spin on her return, going right into raising money to help find new homes for the other returned, and enthusing for Peter's trip and his plan with MJ.

I'm glad that, so far, it seems like there is no multiverse going on. Just Mysterio being full of shit.

Going back to Fury in space, I hope this means he's a go for the second Captain Marvel movie.

• Love 9

I just saw this and my opinion as of now is just "meh". I really don't think this is such a great film but I did really enjoyed watching Peter's illusion scene (the one with the zombie Stark) and also the end credit scene with JK Simmons. The JJJ reveal made the movie for me. 

• Love 1

We saw it today. I’d say I liked it about 67%. Actually I told the person I was with I’d give it about a 7.5/10. I do think Tom Holland is wonderful as Spider-Man. I actually thought all the actors fit the roles well.

Some of the illusion stuff started to drag for me, especially the beat up Peter crap. I know the elementals were illusions but they wore on me after awhile too. And, for me personally, I alternated between feeling sorry for Peter with all the Tony talk and being tired of it all. That’s probably because I can only take Tony in small doses.

I strongly disliked the Peter Parker/Spider-Man reveal. And I hated the use of the word blip for the missed years. Hated! It reminded me, as the “five years later” chyron did in Endgame, that referencing the time skip  just makes me want to know more about that five years. 

• Love 3

That was fun . . . and with the future of the MCU not set in stone, the "cliffhanger" was juicy. It also shows Quentin Beck being the ultimate asshole in death. Or maybe he was just that good at playing dead. Either way, not only is Spidey a wanted man, he's been revealed as Peter Parker. It feels like overkill, but nothing says "Spider-Man" like the universe burying its foot up Peter's ass on a regular basis.

And we got another superb MCU Spidey villain in Mysterio. He had the icon bubble-head look, his powerset looked updated to channel Doctor Strange . . . and he had a staff of disgruntled extras supporting his charade as the Next Big Hero. Those who knew the comics probably kept waiting for the other shoe to dropped . . . but when it hit the floor, it was still oddly awesome.

(BTW: Maybe the third movie is Peter on the lam, helped out by Adrian Toomes, who didn't get faded and wants to help the kid out?)

"Blip": I can't. Make sense if you exist in that world, but "Snapture" works better for us. I'm guessing most of the class was ghosted, so that we'd get the same kids from the first movie, as well as Brad. And maybe Betty. Good idea hooking her up with Ned's portly butt for the trip, nodding at comic canon. it didn't occur to me until afterward that Ned going to Europe should not have been a good idea. #GeekKnowledge

I should wrap this up. Good portrayal of MJ from Zendaya (sp?). Nightmare effects were trippy. Didn't think that Fury wasn't Fury, and that he was just being a dick in general to Peter. And I'm still not comfortable with the idea of him as The Next Tony Stark. Peter should be Peter . . . no one's heir apparent. But since we have him going to school with kids as gifted as him (even Flash, presumably), and his aunt is a certified AILF as opposed to being a brittle old lady prone to health problems . .  . I should roll with it.

EDITH = Even Dead, I'm The Hero. Clever. Acronyms can be fun!

• Love 3
(edited)

Saw it yesterday. I liked it, but it was also a bit meh. I'm annoyed that the villain is a disgruntled Stark employee. It honestly felt a bit Scooby-dooish. He would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids! I'm also unsure how I feel about the Fury and Hill reveal. So where was Hill? On the ship with Fury?

My likes -
Tom Holland. He's charming and I love his Spider-man/Peter Parker. 
All the kids. I'll handwave that they all just happened to be snapped so they just happen to be the same age.
The school news. I can't get enough of it! It's so spot on. The In Memoriam was awesomely bad. I'm going with the world at large thinks Cap died in the battle, or didn't make it back, so that's why he's included.
I did like Jake G's performance, even though I didn't love the whole Stark employee thing. 
The nod to Cap fighting with his shield and Mjolnir.
I know some didn't like it, but I did think the presence of Tony Stark looming over was appropriate. It felt like a way to say goodbye.
Happy and Aunt May.
Edit to add - JK Simmons!

OK, now for my logistics gripe. I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Endgame topic or here. The reveal that people who "blipped" came back to the same spot they were in. I know we've assumed Bruce wished everyone back in a safe spot, but what about Dr. Strange, Peter, and the Guardians being on Titan when they were snapped? How did they get back? Did Strange do some sort of portal thing? In which case I've wondered why he didn't just portal Thanos somewhere but whatever. I'm also wondering what bringing everyone back has meant for the universe too. 
Sigh, this makes me wish even more that in Endgame they just undid the snap somehow instead of the five year gap/bring them back. It really raises so many issues. 

ETA - I'm not sure how I feel about Peter being blamed at the end. Obviously it's setting up the next movie, but the poor kid has been through enough.

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I know we've assumed Bruce wished everyone back in a safe spot, but what about Dr. Strange, Peter, and the Guardians being on Titan when they were snapped? How did they get back? Did Strange do some sort of portal thing? In which case I've wondered why he didn't just portal Thanos somewhere but whatever. I'm also wondering what bringing everyone back has meant for the universe too. 

Peter told Tony that they came back through a portal. From what the Russo’s have said the explanation for everything Dr. Strange does or doesn’t do in Infinity War and Endgame is that he knew there was only one scenario that worked and he was simply following that. 

16 hours ago, ramble said:

We saw it today. I’d say I liked it about 67%. Actually I told the person I was with I’d give it about a 7.5/10. I do think Tom Holland is wonderful as Spider-Man. I actually thought all the actors fit the roles well.

Some of the illusion stuff started to drag for me, especially the beat up Peter crap. I know the elementals were illusions but they wore on me after awhile too. And, for me personally, I alternated between feeling sorry for Peter with all the Tony talk and being tired of it all. That’s probably because I can only take Tony in small doses.

I strongly disliked the Peter Parker/Spider-Man reveal. And I hated the use of the word blip for the missed years. Hated! It reminded me, as the “five years later” chyron did in Endgame, that referencing the time skip  just makes me want to know more about that five years. 

I really also didn't like the Peter Parker reveal either. I think it takes away a lot form the core Spider-Man mythos. Now we are not watching Peter Parker/ Spider-Man but just someone pretending to be Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Sucks that Marvel is doing this to their own character.

• Love 1