Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Blasts from the Past

The good: Phil and Claire being close, affectionate, on the same wave length. They're honestly my favorite married couple on TV. Well, tied with Jake and Amy on B99.

The bad: Mitch and Cam are sniping at each other over something stupidly minor. That makes it, what, 9 seasons?

The ugly: The writers still forcing us to believe Manny as a ladies' man. No. Just no.

Just ugh. I second WhosThatGirl's opinion.

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

The good: Phil and Claire being close, affectionate, on the same wave length. They're honestly my favorite married couple on TV. Well, tied with Jake and Amy on B99.

The bad: Mitch and Cam are sniping at each other over something stupidly minor. That makes it, what, 9 seasons?

The ugly: The writers still forcing us to believe Manny as a ladies' man. No. Just no.

Just ugh. I second WhosThatGirl's opinion.

Yeah. Phil and Claire were good but I never doubt they love each other, even when they have moments. Unlike the other two married couples. I know this isn’t that kind of show but the last couple of seasons really just makes me think jay and Gloria were a couple that got married because hit and heavy and now are finding they don’t like each other much. Also cam and Mitch just seem to tolerate each other all the time.

• Love 10

I must admit I did get a good chuckle of Dylan's mom being an 80s vixen in a typical Whitesnake/Cinderella ripoff band. I had a good laugh about that. I know I wasn't supposed to chuckle at that, but I love the whole cheesy 80s hairband vibe that most videos like that had.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 13
46 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I must admit I did get a good chuckle of Dylan's mom being an 80s vixen in a typical Whitesnake/Cinderella ripoff band. I had a good laugh about that. I know I wasn't supposed to chuckle at that, but I love the whole cheesy 80s hairband vibe that most videos like that had.

Plus, to show where Dylan got his original: "I have to be a rockstar!" when he was in high school and his odd singing choices. Dylan is as much a product of his parents nastalia or having to "parented right" just like Haley is a result of Claire's helicoptering and Phil's "parent as friend" raising. It backfired on all of them and got two 25 year olds now soon to be parents that have NO idea on how to be adults. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

I did like the librarian telling Manny how hurtful it was to learn he was dating someone with two “Shh”s in her name. 

• Love 16
3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Ugh. Everything was annoying this episode. 

Yup. I hate when shows celebrate characters who take advantage of other people. Hence my Sheldon hatred. I don't know if this show will be on again next year, but if it is, I won't be watching. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I really liked the scene where everybody was looking for Claire and one of the bikes had disappeared.

Can't believe 5 uninvited guests would move in at the same time, time to pull a runner.

Well, it was haley and Dylan who just up and decided to move in and then threw all “their” guests along for the ride. Welcome to your future, Claire and Phil.

This is going to happen everyday for the rest of their lives.

And this is supposed to be funny, still. Also where are Alex and Luke? Does Alex liven at school again? Luke for sure doesn’t, pretty sure he goes to community college.  Were they mentioned at all or seen and I missed it?

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 7

If Cam & Mitchell were real people, I guess I'd be happy for the rest of the universe that they found each other.  It frees up two unsuspecting people from being damaged by their incessant neediness and immaturity and pettiness and egomania and shallowness.  

I'm confused by Gloria's "uncle" story.  Gloria is Columbian.  The Alamo was a battle between Mexico & the US.  Did General Santa Anna recruit Columbians (and maybe other South Americans) to fight?  Or Gloria has a Mexican branch in her family tree, and some ancestors settled in Columbia at some point?  

Who has Davy Crockett AND Santa Anna costumes (perfectly tailored for a 5 year old) just hanging around the closet?  

Did Manny break up with the little blonde Canadian mime he was living with in his parent's house?  Where'd she go if he's making out with librarians now?  

Did we know Dylan had (twin??) step-daughters before?

Did Alex and Luke see the warning signs of this sinking ship and swim for shore?  Those two actors have been MIA for a couple of weeks.

• Love 12

I liked the Cam/Mitchell story mostly because I too harbor a long standing and forever David Duchovny crush, and I recognized the cover photo of that Playgirl immediately. I kept hoping he'd show up at the gym or something, cuz the man still looks fiiiine.

I am bugged by the Haley/Dylan having to live with Claire and Phil storyline...where is everyone going to GO? it's a big house, but it's still full of people and adding three more to the mix is kind of horrifying to think about. As has been mentioned, them not setting Haley and Dylan up in Cam and Mitch's upstairs apartment seems like a missed (and more rational) opportunity.

We knew Dylan had step kids but I'm not sure we knew they were twins. Who played his mom? I loved that she was a video vixen who is now channeling DeeDee in a big way.

• Love 7

I fell asleep about halfway through and it sounds like I did not miss much.  I kida tuned out when Claire and Phil announced they were going on four week cycling tour through Italy.  Because we can all afford to do that.  So they are going to house Dylan now?  Why?  House your daughter and her babies, then get her one of those implant things in her arm that lasts for five years.

6 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Well, it was haley and Dylan who just up and decided to move in

In all fairness, Phil and Claire invited them, not sure why Dylan was invited.  I would have laid down some firm ground rules before anyone comes back, though.  

10 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

The writers still forcing us to believe Manny as a ladies' man. No. Just no.

Yeah, he is kinda NOT a ladies man, isn't he?

• Love 7

I'm confused by Gloria's "uncle" story.  Gloria is Columbian.  The Alamo was a battle between Mexico & the US.  Did General Santa Anna recruit Columbians (and maybe other South Americans) to fight?  Or Gloria has a Mexican branch in her family tree, and some ancestors settled in Columbia at some point?  

Who has Davy Crockett AND Santa Anna costumes (perfectly tailored for a 5 year old) just hanging around the closet?  

Uncle Alvaro was Columbian, and was not at the Alamo. It was kind of confusing because the story had them pitting the two ancestors against each other, and Manny even made a crack about how they were likely to find out that the uncles inevitably killed each other. But point in fact, they were merely being contrasted against each other for their merits as "heroes", and not as enemy combatants in a specific battle.

Speaking of that battle, how was it not a huge tipoff to Jay that his ancestor might not have been the hero he thought, if his uncle's claim to fame was that he "survived the Alamo"? 

(There were in fact survivors, but it was non-combatants, such as women and children, Others who had left the Alamo prior to the battle, are also considered survivors. But someone like Jay's uncle, would have absolutely met their demise. Unless of course they went the route that was uncovered on the show. Though in fairness, I really don't know if something like that even happened.)

• Love 1

I missed the first 15 minutes, but I did crack up at Cam trying to hide the hot guys from Mitchell who started to drool when he saw them. Clare and Phil should go to Italy now. Gloria and Jay can watch over Haley. Too bad Manny and his most recent girlfriend broke up. I loved how she took on Gloria. The librarian girlfriend is proof that Manny isn't a ladies man though he obviously has a type.

• Love 5

I feel like a broken record, in a sense, but so does the show, so:

Am I really supposed to believe that Haley and Dylan make a good pair, when between the two of them, neither one thought to even tell Clare and Phil that they needed to move in months early, much less that they were bringing along a grown-ass adult woman, his two former stepchildren and their pet? I get that new sets are expensive, but to echo everyone who's posted here for at least two weeks, the producers could have accomplished much the same thing by having Haley and Dylan move into the apartment above Cam and Mitch, paying a reduced rent but still enough to remind us that these are two grown adults, one who just got a promotion at her job.

As for Manny, he had a precocious charm as a kid, but that has not translated into adulthood. Of course, for some reason the MF writing staff just can't write for any of the original kids, so whatever.

I was actually pretty impressed by the Mitch and Cam storyline, and how they went to the exact same places regarding the dialog about their sex life as a show would for any M/F couples. We don't get to see them being physically loving, but the dialog would never have been so blunt about their sex lives back when the show began. Mitch and Cam may not be the poster boys for gay couples, but they are making progress, at least IMO.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Ugh. Everything was annoying this episode. 

Yup.

Even Ed O'Neill, who I love, can't sell this garbage anymore. That entire storyline was so cartoonish and unfunny. 

I much prefer when the family storylines intertwine, this was just 3 separate, unrelated vignettes, none of which were interesting or funny. 

• Love 7

LIke the above poster - to have Hailey get pregnant with Andy's baby (babies) and live above Cam and Mitch would have been great!  Now we Dim and Dimmer inflicting children upon us.  Anyone remember the storyline years back how Phil did not want to get "clipped" as they may have wanted a fourth baby?  Well here ya go, Phil and Claire!!!  Surprise!!!  You get two babies!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

I have been a sporatic viewer the last few years.  Can someone tell me why Cam's sister Pam went to jail and when and who Dylan was married too?

Thanks

I thought she attacked her ex husband.

2 hours ago, reggiejax said:

Uncle Alvaro was Columbian, and was not at the Alamo.

Uncle Alvaro had nothing to do with the Alamo.  Jay brought up the Alamo because Gloria/kids can never have anything of their Colombian culture.

In the opening shots with the families and family they no longer feature Cal, Pam's son, and didn't see either of them on the episode.  I do zone out though.

1 hour ago, jumper sage said:

I thought she attacked her ex husband.

I thought it was theft?  To be honest I don't care about her or her big farm toddler so I am probably wrong.  I tuner out.

1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I much prefer when the family storylines intertwine, this was just 3 separate, unrelated vignettes, none of which were interesting or funny. 

Me too!

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I thought it was theft?  To be honest I don't care about her or her big farm toddler so I am probably wrong.  I tuner out.

Me too!

It was shoplifting, which turned out to mean picking up someone else's purse and walking out of the store with it. 

I also miss when the families all intertwined. Even now when they have big group events together, everyone feels so disjointed.

I don't even need the big group gatherings, I just like when members of one family are mixing in with the other families, like Mitchell stopping by Jay's house for some reason, Jay going over to help Mitch and Cam build something or whatever. I feel like so many of the characters become more interesting and less cartoon-y when they've got different actors to play off of.

Random thought inspired by typing "Mitch and Cam", but does anyone actually call him "Mitch"? I feel like he call himself Mitchell and so does everyone else, but it becomes "Mitch" when referring to "Mitch and Cam." 

See, this is the completely ridiculous BS that I end up thinking about when the show itself isn't worth discussion, lol.

• Love 6

Stop trying to make Manny seem like a ladies man, show. Its not going to happen. 

Claire and Phil were cute, even as their house is taken over by annoying goof characters. I did laugh at the realization that Dylan's mom was a 80s video vixien. I wonder of the Sexy Kitten name was a reference to Tawny Kitaen, the video vixen from the Whitesnake video that this seemed like a pretty obvious parody of. 

Cam and Mitch bicker about stupid petty stuff, rinse and repeat. At least Pam wasn't around, thank the TV gods for small favors. It was funny to see that old super 90s edition of Playgirl. Oh my god, the 90s of that one imagine!

• Love 6

Unlike last week's episode, I have a few positive things to say about this one:

1. No Pam!

2. It continues this season's trend of Manny having romantic interests who actually look like women you might see in everyday life, and not like Victoria's Secret models.

3. Mitch and Cam were depicted as sexual beings! Who have sex with each other! And on at least one occasion, actually enjoyed it!

However, there's also the bad:

1. Jay did the right thing by letting Joe believe in the legend of Alvaro, but as soon as Joe was out of the room, Jay should have told Gloria and Manny the truth. They were way too smug about the whole thing.

2. Cameron remains unbearable. "Yes, I threw a fit about you doing something I was guilty of myself, but it's because I was feeling insecure about it!" Could someone please just call out Cameron on what a terrible person he is before the series ends? That would be delicious.

3. There were a lot of bits that could have been funny, but were just wasted. Phil trying to injure Dylan? The librarian coming on to Manny at the end? The "sexy kitty" song? It was like the writers threw those things in, without even trying to make them funny.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, jmonique said:

I feel like a broken record, in a sense, but so does the show, so:

Am I really supposed to believe that Haley and Dylan make a good pair, when between the two of them, neither one thought to even tell Clare and Phil that they needed to move in months early, much less that they were bringing along a grown-ass adult woman, his two former stepchildren and their pet? I get that new sets are expensive, but to echo everyone who's posted here for at least two weeks, the producers could have accomplished much the same thing by having Haley and Dylan move into the apartment above Cam and Mitch, paying a reduced rent but still enough to remind us that these are two grown adults, one who just got a promotion at her job.

That's the problem, the writers could have just nixed everything with Dylan's previous marriage and just moved on basically going: "Hey, I married a moron and I'm taking the kids and running." Instead now, we are to get that he has partial custody and has to deal with all of this? In Claire and Phil's house? You are throwing us 4 more background, useless characters that are NOT going to add anything else but show just how much, Dylan should be no where near Haley and also show that he should not reproduce AT ALL! Then add in seeing Dylan's upbringing and then his parents apparently had a problem with him? He tried to be like them! Of course he ended up a moron and doing stupid things. Just like YOUR kids Claire can't function by themselves, you DID EVERYTHING for them!

• Love 8

Another lame episode.  The problems with it have already been pretty well detailed.

I didn't love Andy, but he was an adult with enough intelligence to function well. With him, Haley seemed to start to show a semblance of adult behavior.  She might have started toward adulthood in that relationship.  With Dylan, it is the dumb, leading the dumber.  It's not funny. It's pathetic.  Claire and Phil just accept that she is a perpetual child, needing their care and will continue to take care of her and raise her children.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, reggiejax said:

It was kind of confusing because the story had them pitting the two ancestors against each other, and Manny even made a crack about how they were likely to find out that the uncles inevitably killed each other. But point in fact, they were merely being contrasted against each other for their merits as "heroes", and not as enemy combatants in a specific battle.

To add to the confusion after Manny’s joke is that their family does have ties to Mexico, Jay, Gloria and Manny attended some big family wedding in Juarez a few years ago. 

• Love 1

I was just confused the entire time about Dylan's mom as I thought she threw him out of the house and they did not have a relationship.  Now she's moving in with them?  I just didn't find this episode fun or funny.  I am so tired of Cam going off on Mitchell about something that he himself is also doing.  It's tired.  

I agree with an above poster that Gloria and Jay seem like they don't like each other.  Or, maybe the writers are writing them the same way they write Mitch and Cam...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I was just confused the entire time about Dylan's mom as I thought she threw him out of the house and they did not have a relationship.  Now she's moving in with them?  I just didn't find this episode fun or funny.  I am so tired of Cam going off on Mitchell about something that he himself is also doing.  It's tired.  

I agree with an above poster that Gloria and Jay seem like they don't like each other.  Or, maybe the writers are writing them the same way they write Mitch and Cam...

No, apparently it was Dylan's father who threw him out saying he couldn't take his dead end life anymore. Now, apparently we are learning that Dylan took after his mother who didn't do squat and his father couldn't deal with both him and his "seperated" wife. I don't care at this point, I would have had Phil and Claire going: "Oh no! It's Haley and Dylan and our future grand children. The rest of you get the hell out of here!" 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

To add to the confusion after Manny’s joke is that their family does have ties to Mexico, Jay, Gloria and Manny attended some big family wedding in Juarez a few years ago. 

Its fully possible that they have family in multiple places in Mexico and South America, but a lot of times, it comes across as "lets shove in as many Latin American stereotypes as humanly possible into these characters and their family, and have pretty much all of Latin American be the same place with no differences what so ever! Its all basically the same thing anyway, right? Salsa, sombreros, and drug cartels?"

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Its fully possible that they have family in multiple places in Mexico and South America, but a lot of times, it comes across as "lets shove in as many Latin American stereotypes as humanly possible into these characters and their family, and have pretty much all of Latin American be the same place with no differences what so ever! Its all basically the same thing anyway, right? Salsa, sombreros, and drug cartels?"

Yep that’s the sense I got when they were listing all of her uncles exploits. If it happens south of the US throw it in! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, readster said:

No, apparently it was Dylan's father who threw him out saying he couldn't take his dead end life anymore. Now, apparently we are learning that Dylan took after his mother who didn't do squat and his father couldn't deal with both him and his "seperated" wife.

Did they say on the show that it was Dylan's father, and not his mother, who threw him out?

• Love 1

Yep that’s the sense I got when they were listing all of her uncles exploits. If it happens south of the US throw it in! 

The tall tale just kept getting more and more ridiculous. Here is her uncle's watch that stopped a bullet fired by a very drunk and very jealous Florence Nightingale.  And that's what finally made Jay suspicious.  50 years later, Gloria's uncle would teach Friday Kahlo how to tango. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Blakeston said:

1. Jay did the right thing by letting Joe believe in the legend of Alvaro, but as soon as Joe was out of the room, Jay should have told Gloria and Manny the truth. They were way too smug about the whole thing.

But Gloria and Manny are always right and Jay is always wrong and Jay just needs to learn to live with it because Gloria is so hot and Jay is lucky to be with her and if Jay contradicts her, Gloria will get angry and make Jay's life miserable.  I think that is every episode.  Gloria and Manny are always smug about everything and never wrong even when they are wrong.  For people who supposedly came from humble backgrounds, they sure think highly of themselves, and poorly of Jay, who they depend on for their comfortable lifestyles.

This brings up that most of the MF characters don't like each other.  I would like to specifically point out that Mitchell and Cameron don't really like Lily.  At most they like the idea of her, but don't like her as a person and the feeling seems kind of mutual. 

Why is Dylan being thrust on us now?  In small doses he is OK, I guess, but now he is basically a regular and that is too much Dylan.  He is not funny or that likeable.  Is it misguided nostalgia for the early seasons?  Was the only possibility allowable that Haley end up with Dylan?  Like with HIMYM, Robin was always endgame even if she was not the actual mother in the title.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 10

When Dylan and Hailey were teenagers, their dumb relationship was very cute.  As adults, not so much.  I actually thought when they introduced the professor character that he would end up with Hailey. I enjoyed that actor, but that plot just fizzled out.  I didn’t like Andy but I would have preferred even him to Dylan.

I think this show needs to just wrap it up.  It was great, but it’s really gone downhill.

• Love 5
On 1/16/2019 at 10:36 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I must admit I did get a good chuckle of Dylan's mom being an 80s vixen in a typical Whitesnake/Cinderella ripoff band

Yeah, but did that go anywhere? I felt there was too much going on in the Claire/Phil story. I get it was supposed to be chaotic, but the random step daughters and the mom coming to stay was odd. And are they still going to Italy? I feel that was dropped too.

19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It was funny to see that old super 90s edition of Playgirl.

It's sad that I saw the cover and immediately knew it was David Duchovny (had quite the crush on Mulder too back in the day and have seen that picture), so until the reveal, I was wondering why they used a Playgirl from 20 years ago. And I'm fairly sure Playgirl isn't published print anymore...and I have commented way too much on Playgirl.

So Manny and Sharona are totally over? I admit I half-ass watch this show so I didn't get they were 100% done after the last episode she was in. But, apparently he had time for a rebound fling with a librarian? Okay.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bazinga said:

But Gloria and Manny are always right and Jay is always wrong and Jay just needs to learn to live with it because Gloria is so hot and Jay is lucky to be with her and if Jay contradicts her, Gloria will get angry and make Jay's life miserable.  I think that is every episode.  Gloria and Manny are always smug about everything and never wrong even when they are wrong.  For people who supposedly came from humble backgrounds, they sure think highly of themselves, and poorly of Jay, who they depend on for their comfortable lifestyles.

This brings up that most of the MF characters don't like each other.  I would like to specifically point out that Mitchell and Cameron don't really like Lilly.  At most they like the idea of her, but don't like her as a person and the feeling seems kind of mutual. 

Why is Dylan being thrust on us now?  In small doses he is OK, I guess, but now he is basically a regular and that is too much Dylan.  He is not funny or that likeable.  Is it misguided nostalgia for the early seasons?  Was the only possibility allowable that Haley end up with Dylan?  Like with HIMYM, Robin was always endgame even if she was not the actual mother in the title.

I agree with all of this, but especially about Mitchell and Cameron not liking Lily.  This has particularly bothered me.  In real life, a child this unliked and unappreciated would likely be acting out in some serious way.  How we are supposed to consider their neglect and disregard of her funny?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I agree with all of this, but especially about Mitchell and Cameron not liking Lily.  This has particularly bothered me.  In real life, a child this unliked and unappreciated would likely be acting out in some serious way.  How we are supposed to consider their neglect and disregard of her funny?

I agree - I remember thinking this when they found a picture of Lily with the governor of CA - how would you not know that your child is meeting the governor?  How can it be a surprise that your daughter is talented, smart and popular?

• Love 9
21 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

It was shoplifting, which turned out to mean picking up someone else's purse and walking out of the store with it. 

But didn't she attack her ex husband too?  So many crimes to keep up on.  She was out then went back in.  

This is the last season right?  I think they are tying up loose ends.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

This is the last season right?  I think they are tying up loose ends.

No, they announced next year will be the FINAL season, even cast saying that they are ready to move on. However, they don't have an episode count. As doing a half season and burning through the fall or breaking up like a normal full season. With Splitting Up Together pretty much up on the choppping block. The Sue Heck Spin-off nixed and unknown if The Connors, Fresh off the Boat, Single Parents or A Million Little Things, getting a renewal for the fall. It is still a waiting game. 

• Love 4

Still hate-watching, although I don't know why. This was awful.

I did crack up at Cam trying to hide the hot guys from Mitchell who started to drool when he saw them. 

This was the only thing I chuckled at.

Claire has all the receipts nicely organized on the kitchen table. Oh! They get blown around in a farcical manner!  How funny.  NOT!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, readster said:

No, they announced next year will be the FINAL season, even cast saying that they are ready to move on. However, they don't have an episode count. As doing a half season and burning through the fall or breaking up like a normal full season. With Splitting Up Together pretty much up on the choppping block. The Sue Heck Spin-off nixed and unknown if The Connors, Fresh off the Boat, Single Parents or A Million Little Things, getting a renewal for the fall. It is still a waiting game. 

I am not trying to be Miss Right, but I thought this season is the last, like when the last episode airs in May that is it.  Am I wrong?

• Love 1