Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Hitchcock & Scully

• Start Topic

I laughed so hard at the end of this one that I was still crying when The Good Place came on and I kinda missed the first few minutes. I don't know who young Hitchcock was but I remember young Scully. That was Aquaman from Smallville. Good to see that Holt is keeping 'hoot' going strong.

• Love 10

A long time ago, someone gave me a mnemonic device to remember which of the guys is Hitchcock and which is Scully, and it worked. But now I can't remember what the mnemonic device was and I'm back to not knowing which one is which. Can anyone tell me how they remember?

• Love 5

Good gravy, I love this band of dorks! It's so good to have them back in my life.

I enjoyed diving into the backstory of Hitcock and Scully. Would have loved to have seen them cross paths with 80s Holt through some fashion. We've really only seen him from the 70s. 

I really enjoyed that all the stories tied together. That's when the show is at its best. The strength of the cast is when they can play off each other.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, possibilities said:

A long time ago, someone gave me a mnemonic device to remember which of the guys is Hitchcock and which is Scully, and it worked. But now I can't remember what the mnemonic device was and I'm back to not knowing which one is which. Can anyone tell me how they remember?

Hitchcock is the balding one (like Alfred Hitchcock) and Scully is...the other one.

It works for me.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I remember young Scully. That was Aquaman from Smallville. Good to see that Holt is keeping 'hoot' going strong.

He was on American Idol, too! Season 3. 

I would have traded some Charles and Drogomir (?) stuff for more Amy, but I still thought it was a fun episode. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Who were the guys playing young Hitchcock and Scully? They were hot.

Alan Ritchson (Blue Mountain State, Smallville's Aquaman) played young Scully, and Wyatt Nash (whose previous IMDb credits include the characters "Hot Naked Guy" and "Hot Doctor") was young Hitchcock - and Daniel di Tomasso (Witches of East End, Timeless) was the young crime boss Gio Costa.

• Love 1

Young Hitchcock and Young Scully eating those wings is now up there with the flashback in Taxi where we see young Reverend Jim(Christopher Lloyd) when he was a bright, clean-cut Harvard student trying a pot brownie for the first time!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
8 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I enjoyed diving into the backstory of Hitcock and Scully. Would have loved to have seen them cross paths with 80s Holt through some fashion. We've really only seen him from the 70s. 

You’re not alone! 

CF4632E7-20CE-4497-BA9C-1ADD1FDD4FB0.jpeg

• Love 15

Not a bad episode. I didn't love it per say, but I am pleased to have a Hitchcock and Scully backstory. I do tire of their gross sexism and rampant behaviour a bit but this show does give them their good qualities, and it showed with the ending. I thought it was a good way to have a rare Hitchcock/Scully story and show that they were competent at one point and that's why they're still cops. 

The Upstairs/Downstairs subplot was hilarious. I cackled when Amy accidentally blew up the microwave. 

Chelsea Peretti is excellent at physical comedy, so her shot of her on TV making those wild hand gestures was hilarious. 

The Boyle stuff was the only weak part, mostly because I thought it was a really dumb episode for Boyle thinking that the guy in the picture was 15, rather than him naively thinking that he wasn't getting scammed. However, it was a nice turnaround that the 35 year old was actually Nikolaj's half brother and not some random dude so it did pick up for me. 

I will never tire of Jake calling Holt his Dad, and now I can listen to Jake calling Amy his wife for the rest of the series. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I will never tire of Jake calling Holt his Dad, and now I can listen to Jake calling Amy his wife for the rest of the series. 

He said "My wife and My dad" and before even thinking about who that actually is, I pictured Amy and Holt. I guess he's his dad to me. I didn't even think it was wrong for a half second or so.

• Love 9

I realize this is completely superficial but Rosa's makeup was completely distracting this episode. Why were her eyebrows so penciled and why was she wearing black lipstick? I like the natural look on her much better. 

I love it when they give Hitchcock and Scully storylines where they're not complete boobs; I love that they can have depth.

I thought all the other storylines were "meh" which is a rarity for me with this show. After how amazing last episode was, this one was a downer for me. Oh well. It can mostly go up from here!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

13 hours ago, Pamela said:

Hitchcock is the balding one (like Alfred Hitchcock) and Scully is...the other one.

It works for me.

Or, Scully is the flat-top and Hitchcock is ... the other one. Whatever floats your boat. Or drives the Beaver Trap.

Funny episode. Love seeing young S & H [greenstamps! If anyone is old enough to remember those]. Also great that it turned out not to be the new Commish actually sending IA to go after Nine-Niners in revenge on Holt going to the Mayor. Of course, now he's been given the idea.

The upstairs / downstairs plot was great as well. Rosa getting the widow to sign the document disallowing Amy and her downstairs crew from using the microwave. That's right Amy, you  banned!

Yeah, the Charles story was week. I don't have any comment about that one. Hopefully he'll get a better story next week.

• Love 3

The reveal that the flashback was actually a young Hitchcock and Scully was probably the high point of this episode. I didn't get a lot of laughs out of the rest of it to be honest. Not as good as last week's. The mannequin in the van was just disturbing.

The funny thing is, you can almost see a resemblance between the actors they picked to play younger versions of Hitchcock and Scully and the ones we know - well, mostly Hitchcock. Something about the face. And of course young Scully still had the flattop. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

22 hours ago, Pamela said:

I think I had said that Hitchcock is like Kojak, who was also bald. But Hitchcock would work, too.

Loved the bit with Holt saying he didn't or did "give a hoot." Great continuity.

Scully: You're joining in the witch hunt.
Hitchock: You're fake news! Sad!
Jake: Yup. That's definitely the language of the innocent.

• Love 8
On 1/18/2019 at 1:02 AM, giovannif7 said:

Wyatt Nash (whose previous IMDb credits include the characters "Hot Naked Guy" and "Hot Doctor") was young Hitchcock.

He was also on Season 22 of Survivor (Redemption Island a.k.a. the one that Boston Rob won) using his real name of Matthew Wyatt Elrod. I had to look him to remember this, but he was the Christian guy who had a mild flirtation with Andrea Boehlke.

• Love 3

I've got another mnemonic! Scully's nickname was Flat Top, which reminds me of mesas, which are tall, and Scully is taller than Hitchcock. That may seem too convoluted, but I think it'll work for me. Hey, Scully is also a singer.

10 minutes ago, Panopticon said:

... I’m a little sad that it was all downhill for Hitchcock & Scully after the chicken wings. 

Yes, that was really a tragic ending to the story. A little puzzling, because I've always thought of chicken wings as a relatively healthy fast food option, but I guess they were the gateway drug and a whole lot of terrible eating followed.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sharna Pax said:

Yes, that was really a tragic ending to the story. A little puzzling, because I've always thought of chicken wings as a relatively healthy fast food option, but I guess they were the gateway drug and a whole lot of terrible eating followed.

They are actually quite unhealthy, they're fried and drenched in sauce after all. Although if you stopped eating after maybe four wings they wouldn't do much damage.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:06 PM, possibilities said:

With his flat-top and his height, Scully kind of reminds me of Frankenstein (yes, I know it's actually Frankenstein's monster). So SCully is SCary like Frankenstein.

• Love 1

Cold open - These are two pretty good approximations of romanticised versions of Scully and Hitchcock. And the 80s style background music was great. The idea of them just becoming these tired, sloppy old shells was interesting. Makes you wonder whether this might have been Jake's fate, if he'd not met and fallen in love with Amy.

I did enjoy Hitchcock paraphrasing Trump, and Jake saying "yup, that's the language of the innocent."

But here is where I'll say it - I do not get chicken wings. They're scraps of meat and skin, wrapped around greasy bones and covered in sticky, messy sauce. How the hell did so many people get convinced that these cheap, crappy cuts of meat were amazing?

Oh boy, the "downstairs people?" "It's just where you came from, some of my friends were downstairs people" was funny. And I really like seeing Amy stick up for her squad, and go toe-to-toe with Terry, who she's now the equal of. Loved her being petty and snarky towards him. Terry and Rosa as two upstairs bullies was fun.

But I realised watching this that I'm really going to miss Amy and Jake working cases together. She does look good in a uniform, though.

Dragomir was the perfect name for the Latvian guy scamming Charles. And I did like that Jake finally called Charles out on his creepy Jake obsession. "Show me."

Phil Reeves as the interchangeable John Kelly? But he's too charismatic for that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

But here is where I'll say it - I do not get chicken wings. They're scraps of meat and skin, wrapped around greasy bones and covered in sticky, messy sauce. How the hell did so many people get convinced that these cheap, crappy cuts of meat were amazing?

Thank you!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Meat near the bone tastes better than something like those garbage, flavorless chicken breasts that some people like and they present a superior tactile experience.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't think the meat itself is amazing, but I like certain wings. It really depends entirely on the sauce. The crappy meat is just a conduit for the sauce :) I like the parmesan garlic at Buffalo Wild Wings, for example. Apparently this Slut Sauce is DA BOMB.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 1

Been out of the town since Thursday, so I finally got around to this!

Not quite as good as the premiere since I find Scully and Hitchcock better in smaller doses, but I'm not against them getting an episode or two to shine, so I didn't mind.  Loved how they were suave, badass hotshots in the 80s, but they were done in by those chicken wings!  I figured there would be more to the missing money then them simply taking it, but I can't fully blame Jake for being suspicious.  And Boyle really was letting his emotions get the better of him here.  I usually don't mind him being wacky, but him denying that Dragomir was totally not a teenager was a bit much even for him.

The "Upstairs vs. Downstairs" feud was fun, and I do like that even though we really haven't seen them yet, Amy really is protective of her squad.  Of course, I can't really blame Terry or Rosa, because microwaving soup without a cover is a major offense!  But I'm glad they are past and are planning to back up Holt now.

I love that Holt hates John Kelly for how fake he is, with the pretend laughs and carefree attitude.  That would be something Holt would despise.  Guy is totally a snake!

Hitchcock's Pervert Van has to make a return!

I just started binging this show a few months ago. I’m finally almost caught up. I just watched this episode.  I loved the twist that Scully and Hitchcock used to be “studs” when they were younger.

Anyway, fwiw, I say “Hitchcock isn’t heavy” (at least compared to Scully) to remember who is who. 

• Love 1

Honestly, I loved seeing the story of these two. 

It is cute how they saved the lady and she keeps on spoiling them with fried food <3 I like seeing that side of both Hitchcok and  Scully.