Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I have to wonder...is there anyone legitimately excited for Ant-Man? The response seems very lukewarm, even the response to the latest trailer was more "Well, it looks better than the first trailer...". 

I wonder why Marvel seems so hellbent on making this movie. Scott Lang isn't even the most well-known character to carry the Ant-Man title (he might be the best regarded Ant-Man but Hank Pym is the better known character), it's just weird that they're so determined to make this movie into a thing. The plot comes across awfully generic in the trailers and the humor is so...ha ha things are small!

I can't imagine who would have patience for two hours of small jokes. Kevin Hart enthusiasts?

Possible Age of Ultron end credits scene leaked. Even though it has been reported there won't be one, the article actually includes video of what is reported to be at the end of the credits. http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/20/avengers-age-of-ultron-may-have-an-amazing-post-credits-scene/

If true, it is awesome! 

You see someone window-washing a tower in NYC. As the grime gets cleared away, it reveals Spiderman, who shouts he missed a spot.

Possible Age of Ultron end credits scene leaked. Even though it has been reported there won't be one, the article actually includes video of what is reported to be at the end of the credits. http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/20/avengers-age-of-ultron-may-have-an-amazing-post-credits-scene/

If true, it is awesome! 

You see someone window-washing a tower in NYC. As the grime gets cleared away, it reveals Spiderman, who shouts he missed a spot.

SuperheroHype said its fake. Apparently one of the companies listed in the credits changed their logo a few years back, and the old one was used in that video.

(edited)

I'm also pretty sure that's fake.

I don't know why Whedon would categorically say there wasn't one at the end credits if that was untrue.  That just makes him look like a jerk. 

From the EW article posted on the last page:

“There is nothing at the very end. And that’s not a fake-out,” Whedon says. “We want people to know so they don’t sit there for 10 minutes and then go: ‘Son of a bitch! I’ll kill them!’”

Edited by vb68

I wonder why Marvel seems so hellbent on making this movie. Scott Lang isn't even the most well-known character to carry the Ant-Man title (he might be the best regarded Ant-Man but Hank Pym is the better known character), it's just weird that they're so determined to make this movie into a thing. The plot comes across awfully generic in the trailers and the humor is so...ha ha things are small!

A lot of the marvel movies seem to be more a means to an end (at least Phase 2). It seems like one of the big reasons they made Guardians of the Galaxy was so that they could establish storylines that take place off of earth, and so they could establish The Kree and Thanos (pieces they needed to have in place for future movies).  Same with Winter Soldier. It was an awesome movie, but it seemed like it was having pieces in place so they could bring down Shield and reestablish Hydra (again for future movies). For all I know there could be some big plot point in Ant Man that sets things up for The Infinity War or something.

• Love 2

At a certain point, Marvel simply invested too much into Ant-Man to make it feasible for the movie to be dropped--it would have been way too much egg on its face. I really think Marvel has been so hellbent on getting it made largely to save face and try to play it off like Everything Is Always Planned Perfectly in the MCU.

Edited by stealinghome

So, all the reviews for the new Avengers movie

,while overall positive, seem to point out the problem that nobody is getting enough screentime for actual development...which is exactly as I feared. Honestly, I don't know how they want to pull off Avengers 3, with even more superheroes crammed into it.

Just got back from AOU. Good, but longer than it really needed to be. Also a little overstuffed with characters. I prefer a larger focus on a smaller cast. There was a midcredits scene but not a postcredits scene. Not something I'll see again in the cinema, but when it comes out for home viewing in six months, yes.

Okay, so why was Ultron trying to create Vision? My attention drifted in the last half hour.

Best line: Ultron multiplying faster than catholic rabbits.

No big deal! I'm just nervous to go looking for spoilers online elsewhere for the answer because I don't want to be super spoiled. Thanks though!

Just got back from seeing it

No, there's none of the major characters from Agents of Shield in the film

Apparently, both Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner were quoted as describing Black Widow as a slut, and making fun of her for allegedly having a prosthetic leg. My source was BuzzFeed which isn't the most reliable, but, if so, ick.  I get that they were just trying to be funny and all, but it's not as if the movie is just stacked with six or seven women superheroes, or that a Black Widow MOVIE is even *planned!*

It just ticks me off that, with everything they could say about Scarlett's character, they zero in on her sexuality, as if that's the only thing that matters.

• Love 1

I don't take their responses seriously. I mean, it was clearly a stupid joke that was made in response to the question. It didn't bother me.

The interviewer basically reducing Black Widow to who she might or might not hook up with and questioning two guys about that... that irritates me more than stupid, punchy responses to it. They apologized for their response so I'm cool with it all. But why does no one question the interviewer in the first place? It's the same situation as the ones continually asking Scarlett what her diet was or what she wore underneath her costume because it was so tight. Did this person ask SCARLETT the question about Natasha allegedly jumping from Clint to Bruce?

Hey, Black Widow gets around, Doesn't bother me, that's who she is... but why is this question being asked at all? Natasha made it clear what she thought of 'love' in the first Avengers movie. "Love is for children. I owe him a debt." Granted, fandom will pair up characters that have a bond no matter what (it's all out there... Tony/Steve; Tony/Bruce; Clint/Coulson; Steve/Bucky; Steve/Sam etc etc etc) but romance is not a factor in these movies. 

Aside from that, the biggest slut in the Avengers is clearly Tony.

• Love 7

I've just seen it and I liked it. It didn't wow me in the way the first one did, but then I wasn't expecting it to because the "wow they actually made this work and its very entertaining!" thing was to be expected.

The  team divisions and angst were a given in a 2nd movie but it wasn't as bleak emotionally as I was expecting from some of the hints. They argued and punched each other out a lot over it just like in the first. I liked dealing with the downsides of being a superhero in a less grim way than Nolan's Batman did and they still lightened everything up with a few good zingers. I liked the repeated "language" joke.

It could have been slightly shorter and more together, there were a couple of places I felt pace was lost for very little actual character pay off and it began to get navel gaze-y in other places, but overall a satisfying watch.

But one thing I will say is Boy am I ever over the hovering arms outstretched Saviour/Destroyer motif in comic book movies. I get that its an obvious place to go given the fate of the world hangs on them and what they choose to do with their power, but this movie had two of them doing it and it just got a little dull. I think Whedon did pull it off better than others have here, partly because he used humour to pop overwrought dialogue. One of the things I liked about Loki was that he had no illusions about why he wanted to rule Earth, he just wanted to watch humanity burn for the fun of it. And while that's not complex at all, I'd rather that than every comic villain/hero going through a hammy religious comparison, that doesn't automatically make a movie interesting either.

I can't say the new twins made a huge impression on me, but we'll see what Elizabeth Olsen has to offer next time. I have to say for all the "new team" stuff and vague things about Tony and Hawkeye retiring and Bruce going off, it seemed only a half hearted attempt to persuade people that most of the core team won't be back in some capacity next time around, and I'm not sure what the point of that was really. I mean no one wants to see the B Team battle Thanos by themselves.

Edited by Featherhat

Just got back from seeing it

No, there's none of the major characters from Agents of Shield in the film

Thanks Hybridcookie! Now I'm high-tailing it out of this thread. The pull to spoil myself is just too great.

I think the Black Widow stuff was mean to be a "joke" and fairly harmless, but it's still annoying because as we learn:

Not only has Natasha *not* "gone from Hawkeye to Banner" she's the only team member well aware that he has a long standing wife and kids who she loves and they love her completely and as an Auntie. She and Bruce dance around each other until the cows come home and it's all emotional passion and understanding (lullaby scenes) not (yet resolved) sex passion. Whatever her Marvel past, it doesn't come up in this version. She's no more a "slut" than Pepper or Jane are in their roles as women who have lived lives probably including sexual/romantic relationships before they met their current partner. And even if she had it would have nothing on Tony, and none of the others is reticent about joking about Tony/Steve or Tony/Bruce either.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1

Minor spoiler regarding Agents of Shield and Age of Ultron:

One of the Hydra leaders from the recent episode (name is List?) shows up at the beginning action sequence.

General spoilers

End certainly sets up Infinity War, Ragnarok, and Civil War. A bit of a setup for Black Panther as well with Klaw.  Not too sure how I feel about Banner/ Natasha, but it was somewhat nicely done out. Loved Hawkeye having a real family, and the rest of them not knowing how to deal with that.

Wish they had used Thor's line from the comics:

http://www.schotthappens.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/avengers-ultron-we-would-have-words-with-thee-1024x727.jpg

And ending the movie without the final word was just cruel. But the mid-credit scene is *so* worth it.

• Love 1

Apparently, both Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner were quoted as describing Black Widow as a slut, and making fun of her for allegedly having a prosthetic leg. My source was BuzzFeed which isn't the most reliable, but, if so, ick.  I get that they were just trying to be funny and all, but it's not as if the movie is just stacked with six or seven women superheroes, or that a Black Widow MOVIE is even *planned!*

It just ticks me off that, with everything they could say about Scarlett's character, they zero in on her sexuality, as if that's the only thing that matters.

In their defense, the interviewer is the one who zeroed in on her sexuality, not JR or CE.  And, as sad as it is, once the question was posed it was almost 100% predictable that they would joke it off with some good old fashioned slut shaming.  There are like a million reasons why (they were tired/bored/frustrated, cultural norms, blah blah blah).  In not throwing the question back in the interviewer's face to say "why does it matter who Black Widow is banging?" or "those are all different incarnations of a character who has been around for decades and we're happy to follow where the characters take us in this universe" they took the path of least resistance and went with the easy, predictable "joke" and I"m glad that enough people have responded negatively, demonstrating that taking a thoughtful and respectful position is not only AN option but the BETTER option.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 2

I have never call Black Widow a slut. She's more the 'Diane Keaton' of the Marvel Universe in that she just happened to be involved with a lot of famous men. Natasha has been with Hawkeye, Daredevil and Bucky. Diane has been with Woody Allen, Warren Beatty and Al Pacino.

Does anyone know why Fandango is listing showtimes for Age of Ultron for April 30th?

Because theaters are showing the movie on Thursday evening as well as Friday, May 1st. I have tickets. 

Because theaters are showing the movie on Thursday evening as well as Friday, May 1st. I have tickets. 

Same here! 7 pm IMAX 3D baby! Geeking out already! I believe AMC Theaters are giving those at the first IMAX shows posters.

Saw this last night and I felt like it was pretty much an assault on the senses with one major explosive fight scene after another. It did feel like they were trying to cram too much (character development, explosions, witty one liners, fights, lighter and darker moments, etc) into the 2hr + run time. 

That said I quite like The Twins and Scarlet Witch/Elizabeth Olsen was a real standout for me. 

Too much action for me too. Also, at this point the MCU schema feels repetitive to me...there's always a small-ish action sequence in the beginning, action-exposition basically, two or three mid-sized ones in the middle, one of which will end badly or ambiguously for the heroes, leading to them being dejected, only to regain their confidence and spirits for the final big hero action scene in which at least a city, but probably the whole world is at stake and they save the day.

Edited by KatWay

I think the Black Widow stuff was mean to be a "joke" and fairly harmless, but it's still annoying because as we learn:

Not only has Natasha *not* "gone from Hawkeye to Banner" she's the only team member well aware that he has a long standing wife and kids who she loves and they love her completely and as an Auntie. She and Bruce dance around each other until the cows come home and it's all emotional passion and understanding (lullaby scenes) not (yet resolved) sex passion. Whatever her Marvel past, it doesn't come up in this version. She's no more a "slut" than Pepper or Jane are in their roles as women who have lived lives probably including sexual/romantic relationships before they met their current partner. And even if she had it would have nothing on Tony, and none of the others is reticent about joking about Tony/Steve or Tony/Bruce either.

Renner and Evans should've known better.

Wonder if that's why ScarJo wasn't on GMA with them last Friday?

• Love 1

Well, there were rumors that one or both were under the influence...of something during at least part of the promotional tour. If that's true, it's a miracle that something worse wasn't said.

If that's true, very disappointing.

Both actors are doing so well, why fuck it up with drugs?

SMDH...

• Love 1

Renner and Evans should've known better.

Wonder if that's why ScarJo wasn't on GMA with them last Friday?

Not to belabor the point but weren't they in the interview where the reporter asked the sexist question about what Black Widow wears underneath her costume.  I remember that not only did Scarlett dress the interviewer all the way down but her costars faces were telegraphing a look to him that said "you done fucked up now."  

Edited by funkopop

The Ant-Man movie might be the Heaven's Gate for Marvel Studios.  It just makes me nervous.

Also, no Allison Brie as The Wasp, to boot.

So they turned Black Widow into a ho? 

And the comic book industry wonders why women have issues with them.  (Pun unintended)

• Love 1

So they turned Black Widow into a ho? 

And the comic book industry wonders why women have issues with them.  (Pun unintended)

Not really no. There's UST and a dollop of angst, but Hawkeye got romantic angst to. There was no suggestion that she was involved with Hawkeye or Captain in anyway. She has shown interest in one person in however many movies she's been in. In the comics I don't know.

• Love 1

She has shown interest in one person in however many movies she's been in. In the comics I don't know.

Hawkeye, Cap, Daredevil, Iron Man, and her husband, the Red Guardian.  And those are ones just off the top of my head.  She also didn't pursue the romances with the former four (all at different times) until the death of the latter. 

I'm posting this here since it's related to the movie, sort of.

Did any of y'all who ordered tickets, get the free digital comics as well? I did, and I put in the code, clicked on the redeem and everything, but it never showed up--not in the Marvel account I had to create, nor in my comixology account, which I synced with my Marvel account.

Checked the stupid FAQ's and nuttin'. So I've emailed their online support. I have to say, I've never had problems with downloading DC digitals. 

Renner was with Johannsen when the interviewer was asking about what she wore under her costume and his face was very much 'I am so not getting involved in this mess.'

I really do think it was a stupid joke. I don't think either one of them feels that way about the character or the actress, it was simply an off the cuff joking remark that was in no way meant to be taken seriously. Everyone's going to have their own reaction to it, though. 

I mean, personally, I'd probably make a joke like that myself but as a woman I can probably get away with it more. Plus, I'd make similar 'slut' 'whore' comments about Tony... question what Thor has gotten up to in Asgard before he got banished... wonder what Steve got up to with some of the ladies on the various USO tours he was on... and no one wears his heart on his sleeve more than Evans over Hemsworth. And Johanssen has ribbed him about it in interviews as well.

As I said before, Natasha gets around in comics but many characters do. She's got quite a list of lovers -- Daredevil, Bucky, Iron Man... so what? She's awesome and they all know it.

(Tony has also had sex with Gamorra of Guardians of the Galaxy. Gamorra looked utterly bored and Tony looked embarrassed. It was magical.)

• Love 3

That was a delight.

I LOVE everyone talking about Ruffalo's arm hair "and the nice purple t-shirt."

Hemsworth knowing Evans' armpit anywhere... and Scarlett and Ruffalo pointing out that ridiculous upper body curve he's got. What's that called anyway? Whatever it is, Evans has got IT.

"That's RDJ?! Shut! Up!" "Since.. ah..  when?"

"That's Hemsworth?" "Not in this movie, though."

Scarlett's pointing out Hemsworth's pointy elbow 'that we always talk about.'

Somehow, I enjoy the idea of the various Avengers talking about Chris Hemsworth's pointy elbows. And Ruffalo's hairy arms.

• Love 1