Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I was surprised at first when they introduced Mockingbird in AOS and that she and Hunter was her ex. Then seeing Age of Ultron and how Hawkeye was happily married and had with kids with someone else it makes sense. Jed and Maurissa couldn't do the fun "Mr. and Mrs Smith" stuff that Bobbi had with Clint Barton in the 616 comics so they used Hunter as a substitute.

It is kind of too bad, because now that Rhody is an avenger, and Scarlett Witch and Vision have been introduced, plus with Ant-Man coming, we have a pretty solid West Coast Avengers team. And I totally loved the West Coast Avengers.

I am curious to see how the movies will do Wakanda, since it is supposed to be the most technologically advanced nation on earth. But every country in the MCU already has a crazy level of tech.

Like who? We have seen other corporations attempt to clone Tony Stark's and Howard Stark's work or Hydra having what they kept when SHIELD was broken up. But most seem to be US based before Iron Man does his vigilante patent enforcement.

Like who? We have seen other corporations attempt to clone Tony Stark's and Howard Stark's work or Hydra having what they kept when SHIELD was broken up. But most seem to be US based before Iron Man does his vigilante patent enforcement.

Just off the top of my head, Tony has a computer more advanced than anything in the real world (Imagine Jarvis on Jeopardy), SHIELD has a helicarrier, plus the ability to cloak things from radar completely and make them actually invisible. They also have flying cars. A doctor in South Korea has the ability to regenerate human tissue and basically build a whole human body. Shield and the avengers also have jets that can appear to go around the world in almost no time.  Even the Extremis project seems crazy advanced. I am just wondering if when we see Wakanda, how much more advanced can it be without approaching levels like they showed in Asgard.

Shield stuff came from Stark. The doc from South Korea is employed and supported by Stark. 

Extremis project it baffled me how people didn't understand why it caused people to explode. Massive amounts of cell regen or activity generate heat. The problem is this heat does damage to the body causing extremis to heal the damage. So the heat production is not regulated you set up a cascade of heat building up more heat till the temp goes into the thousands of degrees causing all the molecules of the body infected by extermis to explode.  

(edited)

I am an avid comic-book fan and enjoy most things Marvel. I will admit the first half of season one of AOS was not to my liking, but I think the show has gotten much better once I realized that there would be very few superheroes on the show. I think the show is good. If you are looking for a TV avengers, you will not like it. I think most folks who abhor the show expect it to be something that it is not and assumed it would be because of the movies that Marvel put out before it.

Edited by Enigma X

Shield stuff came from Stark. The doc from South Korea is employed and supported by Stark. 

But my point wasn't really where it came from, more that, if Stark can invent and fund the invention of stuff that is that much further advanced, and if Wakanda is supposed to be the most technologically advanced country in the MCU, then what the hell are they going to have? Are we going to be seeing some Rocket Racoon kind of stuff?

I think they'd be far smarter by making Wakanda a fast developing country, rather than a super advanced one. A country that has recently begun to exploit it's natural wealth, and to use it for the betterment of the people and technological advancement. That way, they could keep things closer to the realms of reality, and they could give T'Challa some natural enemies in the form of international corporations, trying to muscle in on his country's natural resources. They could also tie in some parallels to companies in our world exploiting these countries and taking their resources for peanuts.

With the way it looked in Age of Ultron, Wakanda seemed more a city on the rise than a well established technology powerhouse.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am an avid comic-book fan and enjoy most things Marvel. I will admit the first half of season one of AOS was not to my liking, but I think the show has gotten much better once I realized that there would be very few superheroes on the show. I think the show is good. If you are looking for a TV avengers, you will not like it. I think most folks who abhor the show expects it to be something that it is not and assumed it would be because of the movies that Marvel put out before it.

The with issue most viewers who tuned into AOS was they had no idea what SHIELD was despite it being in every recent Marvel movie, They were expecting Iron Man and got the guys in the marvels extras on the dvds. Hell you had people complaining about how Shield couldn't go into a country claiming that said country was a UN member ignoring that SHIELD in the marvel movie universe is not a UN agency and even if it was Latveria under Dr. Doom is a member of the UN and shield doesn't do operations there.

what the hell are they going to have? Are we going to be seeing some Rocket Racoon kind of stuff?

You should watch the great Avengers Earth's Mightest Heroes cartoon as well as the two animated movies based on the Ultimate Marvel universe so for an idea as to how they could show Wakanda's use of tech,

Edited by nobodyyoucare
  • Love 1

If the set pictures from Cap 3 are any indication Wakanda isn't going to be very advanced, more like typical "movie Africa" (you know, poor run down, full of shanty houses, people in dashikis)...but we'll see.

Well, the comics often have people in loincloths and bone necklaces living in futuristic skyscrapers that look like they belong on Krypton, so that doesn't necessarily rule anything out.

• Love 1

Well, the comics often have people in loincloths and bone necklaces living in futuristic skyscrapers that look like they belong on Krypton, so that doesn't necessarily rule anything out.

But how else would you know they're African?

I'm still not that interested in Black Panther, because I think it's criminal that Chiwetel Eijofor isn't playing him. They missed out on the most perfect opportunity ever, there. But I wasn't that interested in Daredevil until I watched the show, and was blown away.

Still, I said a few days ago that I'm ready for Marvel to move some of their established heroes out of the door, and focus on different characters. Age of Ultron seemed to suggest they're going to attempt that, but I want to see more. More Falcon and Scarlet Witch and Bucky Barnes, for starters. I'd love to see them finally introduce Balder into the Thor movies (and not just so he can die in Ragnarok), and I want more Sif and Fandral too (because Fandral is played by Zach Levi, who is awesome).

• Love 2
I think most folks who abhor the show expect it to be something that it is not and assumed it would be because of the movies that Marvel put out before it.

I don't think that's necessarily fair--and, frankly, sounds like the excuses people involved with the show made during early/mid S1 to justify why it was massively tanking.

Personally, I was always very clear that the show was going to be about SHIELD, not superheroes. My problem with AoS is that the first 16 or so episodes of S1 were, frankly, abysmal, and the show was painful to sit through. It's not that it didn't have superheroes, it's just that the show itself sucked.

• Love 3

I'm still not that interested in Black Panther, because I think it's criminal that Chiwetel Eijofor isn't playing him. They missed out on the most perfect opportunity ever, there. But I wasn't that interested in Daredevil until I watched the show, and was blown away.

I want to see the movie just because of how they do it. My ideal panther is the one I know from the Priest run, who is as smart as Stark, and as good a strategist/fighter as Cap. I wonder if they will go there for the movie considering that RDJ and Chris Evans are huge stars. On of my favourite little bits from the comic run is a scene where they are in BP's office and one of the things they show on his desk is a report which is basically a contingency plan for Wakanda in the event of an attack by Galactus.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am an avid comic-book fan and enjoy most things Marvel. I will admit the first half of season one of AOS was not to my liking, but I think the show has gotten much better once I realized that there would be very few superheroes on the show. I think the show is good. If you are looking for a TV avengers, you will not like it. I think most folks who abhor the show expect it to be something that it is not and assumed it would be because of the movies that Marvel put out before it.

Coming back to this, I was all for the idea of the show ignoring superpowered heroes and just being about a group of low-on-the-totem-pole agents who dealt with relatively mundane cases, but ended up being caught up in events bigger than them. That's what I wanted.

I remember reading Civil War: Runaways vs Young Avengers, and there's a scene early on where a Z-list villain called Flagsmasher causes a ruckus in a park. The Runaways, a bunch of superpowered teens who were definitely on the other side of the Superhuman Registration Act, stop him, but not before he breaks the ribs of some poor SHIELD agent who tries to stop him. The SHIELD agent's partner lets the Runaways go rather than arrest them, because he saw that they were doing good, and instead calls for medical assistance to help his buddy. I wanted a show about those guys. The beat cops of the SHIELD world.

Instead, I got the blandest leading man there has ever been, writers who weren't even trying to hide how special a snowflake their heroine was, and a few other cardboard cut-out characters who were not worth the effort, but were clearly Special themselves, to be on this Special team. I stuck with it long after other people had given up, but by about the last third of the first season. I realised I just didn't care about any of them. Except Simmons, and that was just because Elizabeth Henstridge's performances were so charming and fun.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
(edited)
I'd love to see them finally introduce Balder into the Thor movies (and not just so he can die in Ragnarok)

Shouldn't Balder be the only one NOT to die in Ragnarok? I mean, AFAIK, that's how it is in the mythology.

Edited by FurryFury

I want to see the movie just because of how they do it. My ideal panther is the one I know from the Priest run, who is as smart as Stark, and as good a strategist/fighter as Cap. I wonder if they will go there for the movie considering that RDJ and Chris Evans are huge stars. On of my favourite little bits from the comic run is a scene where they are in BP's office and one of the things they show on his desk is a report which is basically a contingency plan for Wakanda in the event of an attack by Galactus.

Huge star,

Chris Evans or Chris Hemsworth?

Shouldn't Balder be the only one NOT to die in Ragnarok? I mean, AFAIK, that's how it is in the mythology.

I'll bow you to on that one, I don't know any more than the basics about Norse mythology. But Balder was a really great character in John Michael Straczynski's Thor run, a few years ago. He really took centre stage and owned it, so I'd like to see him turn up in the movies.

Actually it's Baldr being killed with a mistletoe spear or arrow that sets off Ragnarok, though he's reborn to rule the post-apocalyptic golden age that follows.

Dammit Loki. I just don't understand Tumblr at times.

Reading what is believed to be the plot of CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR it now makes sense that it's a Cap movie and not an Avengers one.

Reading what is believed to be the plot of CAPTAIN AMERICA:CIVIL WAR it now makes sense that it's a Cap movie and not an Avengers one.

Here's a very interesting potential casting spoiler for the Dr. Strange movie.  I like it.  It makes me more excited for the movie.

It is being reported in all the major websites so I don't know if the casting counts as a spoiler.  I'm not really sure how the rules work here.

An alternate take on the Arnim Zola scene from CA:TWS, mostly taken from storyboards:

http://youtu.be/eUfskBYmEoo?t=455

Marvel moviegoers may remember the key scene in Captain America: The Winter Soldier in which Cap and Black Widow stumble upon the phalanx of ancient computer hardware that made up the preserved "brain" of the villainous Arnim Zola. However, in some newly-surfaced storyboard animatics chronicling an alternate take, things go down quite differently than the scene we saw.

Animation artist James Rothwell, who as of late has been posting a number of alternate scene recreations from The Winter Soldier, also recently introduced this intriguing take on the computerized Arnim Zola, played by Toby Jones in his HYDRA exposition scene. Cobbling the scene together based on storyboards, Rothwell depicts a sequence that not only renders Cap more wistfully fixated on his past, but a version of the digitized Zola whose existential motivations are radically different.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Watch-An-Alternate-HYDRA-Scene-From-Captain-America-Winter-Soldier-71684.html

I wonder how they plan to avoid the same problems as the comics once the continuity gets too convoluted and restrictive for future movies. I don't think a reboot would be as easy as the comics. You're basically asking for the audience to sign up for the same adventures again, but with different actors.

I wonder how they plan to avoid the same problems as the comics once the continuity gets too convoluted and restrictive for future movies. I don't think a reboot would be as easy as the comics. You're basically asking for the audience to sign up for the same adventures again, but with different actors.

is

I think just as it took courage to make movies with their second tier characters. If the MCU continues at some point Tony Stark ages, retires and they must have the courage to let another character steps in.

I'm assuming that when we get the last Avengers Infinity movie that we will be saying goodbye to a lot of the original characters and actors.  We have already started sprinkling in the "new" Avengers.  I think the Infinity movies will be a big culmination of all the Marvel characters with a simultaneous "ushering in/ushering out" plot.

• Love 2

Oh dear, this is worrying. James Gunn thinks the way to make a MCU movie is more focus on less characters, rather than less focus on more. That's why Cap 2 was so terrible, right? And AOU is pretty much the best movie ever? He needs to throw Captain Marvel, Quasar, Adam Warlock, and at least four different Inhumans in there! If he could manage to make the villain feel like a complete cipher, so much the better. And I hope he's thinking of the most important part of the experience, the toys. He'd better make sure to not give the women too much to do, he doesn't want people clamouring for their toys. Better make it a male Captain Marvel.

Oh dear, this is worrying. James Gunn thinks the way to make a MCU movie is more focus on less characters, rather than less focus on more. That's why Cap 2 was so terrible, right? And AOU is pretty much the best movie ever? He needs to throw Captain Marvel, Quasar, Adam Warlock, and at least four different Inhumans in there! If he could manage to make the villain feel like a complete cipher, so much the better. And I hope he's thinking of the most important part of the experience, the toys. He'd better make sure to not give the women too much to do, he doesn't want people clamouring for their toys. Better make it a male Captain Marvel.

I am not sure what the problem is. I read the story and it seems like he wants fewer characters. Isn't that a good thing? Age of Ultron was good, but it was really getting to the point where there was too many characters to keep track of. At least someone in Marvel is recognizing that.

• Love 1

Slow day at work for me, so I'm going to spend time listing Marvel Properties that I believe have no adaptations in the pipeline, but that I'd like to see in some form or another.

1. Strikeforce Moritori.

This odd standalone title (no affiliation with the mainstream universe at all) is about a near future world in which an alien race called The Horde parks itself in orbit and raids the planet for resources at will. Humanity has just begun to strike back by creating a process that gives people super powers.  Which is great except that they have a limited lifespan. I.E. they'll explode violently in a year or so.  Incredible world building and character work in this series for the first couple of years.  Would be great for a live action TV series in the Battlestar Galactica mode.

2. Runaways or Young Avengers

These two recent-ish titles have picked up the mantle for kid's superhero titles. In Runaways a group of Los Angeles teens learn that their parents are actually the group of supervillians which control the city and have dark plans afoot.  In Young Avengers, during a point in which the Avengers have disbanded a backup system recruits young superheroes to form a new group.  They're both pretty fresh takes on superheroing. Both titles have potential to occupy the TV space that CW shows like The Flash and Arrow are in, or to be animated TV titles. For young heroes, I think that fits better than the "Avengers Arena" title of a few years ago which is basically an acknowledged knockoff of The Hunger Games.  Supervillian Arcade kidnaps a group of teen superheroes and makes them fight and kill each other.  The other possibility of New Mutants is too tied up with the X-Men franchise for Marvel Studios to do.

Speaking of too tied to the X-Men franchise to do:

3. Exiles

The "Sliders" of the Marvel Universe.  We will never see it most likely because of rights issues, but the premise is that a group of heroes recruited from different alternate universes work together to fix universes that have gone wrong. Formerly minor characters like Blink, Morph and Mimic join created newbies like the daughter of Scarlet Witch and Nightcrawler. Will never happen, and would probably only be feasible as an animated series as you have to build a new slightly twisted world every single episode for the group to interact with.

4. Thunderbolts

The only good thing that came out of the Heroes Reborn mess.  While the Avengers and Fantastic Four were presumed dead for awhile, a new team of superheroes step in to take up the mantle. They become an immediate sensation.  However, when the adoring public aren't there, we see them behind the scenes and realize that they are a repackaged Masters of Evil, the Avengers' greatest rivals.  DUN DUN DUN! This one could be a movie if there's ever a movie in which the Avengers are wiped out/disbanded.

5. X Factor

Remember that Multiple Man guy who was in the X-Men movies?  Well, in the comics, he's kind of one of the lower level X-Men affiliated good guys.  He broke off from superheroing to open a Mutant detective agency, working with a motley supporting cast including a 12 year old girl who knows the future and drives everybody crazy.  It's pretty much the only Marvel title I've bought for the past five years or so until it recently came to its conclusion. Witty and sharply written by Peter David, and it keeps to itself for the most part rather than crossing over every other month. Could be a good weekly detective show with occasional superheroics and eventually a weird but awesome romance.

Other adaptation recommendations:

The current Ms. Marvel is apparently awesome. 16 year old Pakistani girl named Kamala Khan. I haven't read it yet, but the reviews have been pretty great.

There were two New Universe titles that could possibly be salvaged: Psi Force and DP7.  Both group titles which could be detached from their New Universe baggage to be standalone movies.

Dazzler. If the Marvel movie universe ever gets to the point where it can outright parody itself, go full camp and do a 70's romp where this sequined superhero disco singer on rollerskates takes on the world. Someone can do something awesome with that.

I...think you misread what he said.

• Love 1

That picture made me chuckle. I thought it was humorous too because obviously Chris Pratt is also riding the Marvel gravy train. I now want to see Peter Quill attempt to pick up Thor's hammer.

That picture made me chuckle. I thought it was humorous too because obviously Chris Pratt is also riding the Marvel gravy train. I now want to see Peter Quill attempt to pick up Thor's hammer.

I think Groot would have a better shot at lifting it than Quill.

But that was probably my favourite gag in the entire Age of Ultron movie. Cap moving the hammer a millimetre, to Thor's surprise, got a nice laugh from the audience I was with. The Vision casually grabbing the hammer and handing it to Thor brought gasps of surprise and stunned murmurs from the audience. 

Oh I don't think Quill has a chance of picking up the hammer unless it's a situation like the stone at the end of Galaxy where it was a complete selfless reaction.

I'd rather see Cap, Widow, or Gamora pick up the hammer before Quill though. I was sort of disappointed that it was Vision who picked up the hammer in Ultron. I thought with Widow declining the attempt and Cap moving it just a hair was the preview before it actually happened with one of them in the heat of battle. I know why they had Vision lifting the hammer, but I wish it had been someone else.

• Love 1

I think Groot would have a better shot at lifting it than Quill.

But that was probably my favourite gag in the entire Age of Ultron movie. Cap moving the hammer a millimetre, to Thor's surprise, got a nice laugh from the audience I was with. The Vision casually grabbing the hammer and handing it to Thor brought gasps of surprise and stunned murmurs from the audience. 

. For an android or artificial life form it must be judged worthy. A machine cannot pick up the hammer for instance unless it had a mind or soul that was judged worthy.

Cap is one of the few mortals worthy of the hammer and has wielded it a few times. The hulk struggled to lift it and seemed surprised. Some real hardcore science nerds have come up with an explanation that the hammer is made out of a neutron star material and can turn off and on it's heavy gravity field. Remember Thor's people have science so advanced its like magic. 

. For an android or artificial life form it must be judged worthy. A machine cannot pick up the hammer for instance unless it had a mind or soul that was judged worthy.

Cap is one of the few mortals worthy of the hammer and has wielded it a few times. The hulk struggled to lift it and seemed surprised. Some real hardcore science nerds have come up with an explanation that the hammer is made out of a neutron star material and can turn off and on it's heavy gravity field. Remember Thor's people have science so advanced its like magic. 

Yes, I know Cap has wielded it (and probably will in the movies, when the Avengers finally face Thanos). As has Beta Ray Bill, an alien who became a good friend and ally to Thor (but who should probably never appear in any Marvel movies, because he looks pretty daft).

I'd rather see Cap, Widow, or Gamora pick up the hammer before Quill though. I was sort of disappointed that it was Vision who picked up the hammer in Ultron. I thought with Widow declining the attempt and Cap moving it just a hair was the preview before it actually happened with one of them in the heat of battle. I know why they had Vision lifting the hammer, but I wish it had been someone else.

I did think Cap even moving it slightly was a powerful statement about his worthiness, which was enough for this movie. As I say, I think Cap will wield Mjolnir in the next Avengers movie, in some big dramatic moment. I

Horse Thor is actually one of the most powerful Cosmic Marvel characters. He would need his own movie not related to anything else except the Guardians of the Galaxy. Here is one example where Beta Ray Bill could be used in a movie along with a few other important characters. 

Annihilators1_cover_300.jpg

For an android or artificial life form it must be judged worthy. A machine cannot pick up the hammer for instance unless it had a mind or soul that was judged worthy.

Er, no. In the comics robots and other unliving things can pick up the hammer just fine. It's living, sentient beings that are capable of being judged worthy or unworthy. I would imagine that being self-aware the Vision would actually be treated like a human being, and in fact don't recall him ever being able to lift the hammer other than this new movie version. Of course, this version's mind isn't based on the brain patterns of a formerly treacherous arms dealer competitor of Stark's.

Horse Thor is actually one of the most powerful Cosmic Marvel characters. He would need his own movie not related to anything else except the Guardians of the Galaxy. Here is one example where Beta Ray Bill could be used in a movie along with a few other important characters. 

Annihilators1_cover_300.jpg

He's still an alien with the face of a horse skull, dressed up as Thor. I don't think he's a very good movie candidate, unless they change his look significantly. And his name, because honestly, not even being a Marvel production could get droves of uninitiated excited about a movie called Beta Ray Bill.

Sadly, Marvel don't own the rights to the Silver Surfer, and I wonder whether they own the rights to Gladiator, given that he's always been primarily an X-Men antagonist.

(edited)

Er, no. In the comics robots and other unliving things can pick up the hammer just fine. It's living, sentient beings that are capable of being judged worthy or unworthy. I would imagine that being self-aware the Vision would actually be treated like a human being, and in fact don't recall him ever being able to lift the hammer other than this new movie version. Of course, this version's mind isn't based on the brain patterns of a formerly treacherous arms dealer competitor of Stark's.

Nope. Non living things cannot pick up the hammer when the worthiness enchantment is active.

A crane for example cannot move the hammer. Andy the Awesome Android emulated Thor's mental patterns. Some characters can nullify the enchantment. 

This marvel comic published in 1990 has Wonder Man picking up the hammer. http://marvel.wikia.com/Marvel_Comics_Presents_Vol_1_45 but this may be a case of a loophole at work due to the thing about becoming a god.

And his name, because honestly, not even being a Marvel production could get droves of uninitiated excited about a movie called Beta Ray Bill.

I remember people saying the same thing about Guardians of the Galaxy and the same should hold true of Ant-Man. Plus Captain America. Even it was said of Iron Man.

Edited by nobodyyoucare