Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I just got back from Antman, and I agree, it flows much better than Avengers 2, and a heck of a lot funnier.

I saw it in 3D, and trust me it is not worth the extra money, I only saw it in 3D b/c it was the first showing of the day. 

I too was reminded of Adventures in Innerspace from the Disney parks during Scott's descent into the microverse. One of the best attractions ever. Bring it back Disney.

I loved seeing Hayley Attwell as 80's Peggy Carter, she is the best thing that has happened out of the MCU. I was also surprised they stuck w/ Slattery as Howard Stark. I thought they might switch him out w/ an aged Dominic Cooper.

Just an FYI there are two post movie scenes, one mid-credits and one post-credits.  Everyone left after the mid-credits in my showing, so nobody other than me got to see the post-credits.  It sets up Phase 3 of the MCU.

I'll spoiler my thoughts b/c the movie just opens today.  Mods, you can un-spoiler it when you feel enough time has passed if you wish.

I really don't care that MCU is killing off all their villains, I mean yes essentially anyone can step into the Yellowjackets suit, but I really wish they would start putting these people in prison or something.

I noticed when Scott was on his way to the microverse you could see Janet/the Wasp in shadow so we know for sure she is still alive.

I was shocked they had the Scott/Hope pairing at the end, there didn't seem to be any hints it was going that way. It really didn't feel earned to me. It was more like "Oh Scott, you saved my dad's legacy and the world, i'm going to swoon and then make out w/ you."

I was really hoping on Scott's journey back he wouldn't be able to stop and we would get Giant-Man. I'm guessing they are saving that for Captain America 3.

As for Hope's Wasp costume, I love the colors, let's just work on making the helmet streamlined so as to not hide Hope's pretty face ;-)

Scott's battle w/Falcon at the Avengers compound was awesome, it showed why he has what it takes to join the team.

Edited by CMH1981

This is why Marvel is really screwing us by not giving us a Black Widow movie.  I have a feeling the only way we will get a Black Widow film is when they switch out the actress and somebody else steps into the role of Natasha Romanoff.

A real shame when Scarlett Johansson actually CAN act (even if it's been years since she challenged herself with a role that demanded it), and who knows if a future cast actress will be near as good.

I have a feeling whenever Scarlett decides she is done w/ the role that they will bring in Emily Blunt to take over considering she was the first choice.  

You think?  I seriously doubt it.  Emily is great and everything but I seriously doubt that Marvel would re-cast with an older actress even if she was their first choice.  It is one thing for Emily to age with the character but Scarlett will be on screen for the next five years at least and I don't see them offering the role to a 38 year old Emily Blunt.

By the way was she really the first choice?  My understanding is she was offered the job but turned it down due to another movie/scheduling.  I just don't know if that indicates that she was the first choice.

• Love 1
(edited)

You think?  I seriously doubt it.  Emily is great and everything but I seriously doubt that Marvel would re-cast with an older actress even if she was their first choice.  It is one thing for Emily to age with the character but Scarlett will be on screen for the next five years at least and I don't see them offering the role to a 38 year old Emily Blunt.

By the way was she really the first choice?  My understanding is she was offered the job but turned it down due to another movie/scheduling.  I just don't know if that indicates that she was the first choice.

Bingo.  

No disrespect to CMH, but everytime I see these speculations about a big multi-movie franchise bringing on any actress not in their 20s, I shake my head.  Blunt IS on the young end at 32, but Johansson as you say won't be going anywhere for at least another 4-5 years (I mean she's only 30 now--younger than Blunt) and yes, by then Blunt will be in her late 30s. Heck, I'm still shocked the 30 year old Gal Gadot got Wonder Woman.

If Black Widow is recast it will be with someone who's probably not even in our heads yet. Someone who if they're working now at all is in their early 20s.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Don't bring up Emily Blunt, it still hurts my heart that she had to turn down the Avengers because she was already attached to Gulliver's Travels (who? what? Exactly) of all things.

I really will never understand the desire to see a BW movie. SJ is truly awful in the role (when she's asked to emote anyway, I enjoy when she makes Steve uncomfortable) and I just don't care to know more about the character on any level.

Maybe some of us think SJ is good in the role and are genuinely intrigued by the character and want to see more of her story?

Just without Hawkeye, please. Avengers 2 tried, but he's still hella boring.

And without that stilted, cold, forced quasi-romance with Banner, from Avengers 2. Even Hawkeye was more interesting than that.

I liked that romance, and didn't find it forced. In Avengers 1, Hulk is the only thing that scares Natasha, as far as we see. By A2, she's gotten closer, trying to learn more and overcome her fear. To me, it's not surprising that she'd end up getting close to him in a romantic way. She's overcoming her conditioning and is turning into a genuine person. Good stuff.

Another topic. I haven't seen Ant-Man yet, I'm trying and to work up the enthusiasm. Someone please tell me it's either great and I need to go, or it's shit and I can save my time and my money.

• Love 1

It's not groundbreaking cinema or anything, but I found it enjoyable and well worth afternoon matinee prices. There's some amazing special effects in the first few minutes of the movie that will have you wondering how they did it.

• Love 1

I liked that romance, and didn't find it forced. In Avengers 1, Hulk is the only thing that scares Natasha, as far as we see. By A2, she's gotten closer, trying to learn more and overcome her fear. To me, it's not surprising that she'd end up getting close to him in a romantic way. She's overcoming her conditioning and is turning into a genuine person. Good stuff.

Another topic. I haven't seen Ant-Man yet, I'm trying and to work up the enthusiasm. Someone please tell me it's either great and I need to go, or it's shit and I can save my time and my money.

Consensus seems to be great and two post credit scenes set up next films. 

(edited)

We really enjoyed Ant-Man and the post credit scenes were great. 

In regards to Hawkeye and Black Widow, the only reason I'd like to see him in a movie with her as the main character is because they definitely have a history and I'm interested in it (the conversation after he was cured of Loki's spell and the Budapest comment).

Edited by Shannon L.

Thanks. Let's see how I feel on Tuesday.

I'm not opposed to Hawkeye working with Black Widow, they work well together. But I don't want them as a couple. However, I'm also the type of person who's fine with the occasional noodle incident. I don't need to know about Budapest.

People seem so focused on the word solo when others say they want solo movies for Black Widow in the like. People say that there is no point to Black Widow movie but is there a point to a lot of these movies. Some of them could have been covered in group in group installments.

Let Widow and Hawkeye form a team and go on missions. Get some SHIELD agents. Widow, May, Mockingbird & Daisy kicking ass on the big screen. Sign me up. I'm not a FEMALE POWER type of person. I just want to see good movies/good characters period. But, those four on screen kicking ass would be awesome. They are some of the best fighters the MCU has.

We just saw a fun a heist movie is with Ant Man and how good a spy thriller in the MCU can be with Winter Soldier (IMO). Nothing wrong with a smaller scale kick ass action movie from Marvel. I don't know why anyone resists the prospect of any MCU movie really. You don't have to see them all. It's like complaining about a show being on years and years that you never even watch. Doesn't bother me.

I will disagree with Hawkeye being boring seeing as he was one of the better developments of Ultron. And he gained a lot of fans through the movie so even generally speaking, I don't see him as boring.

Scar Jo kills it as Black Widow. She's fun, she's sexy, she's a great fighter, she's smart. Scarlett plays all up great. She's been a scene stealer in every movie they put her in while making people crave for more. A solo outing for character that successful with fans seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Love 1

I want Emily Blunt for Carol Danvers.

Not to turn this into a who I want for whom list, but Katee Sackhoff is who I picture as Carol Danvers.

Do we think that Bobbi/Mockingbird will ever crossover into the MCU or is she stuck on Agents of Shield now since Hawkeye is married off?  I would love to have her cameo in Civil War, but I just don't see that happening.

• Love 2

Ant-Man is going to be in the next Captain America movie, Civil War.

I miss the Marvel One-Shots.  But I think with their movies and television shows going full blast, there just isn't a place for it.  I actually though a Howard the Duck Marvel One-Shot would be a fun place to bring back the character.

And they could do a movie while not hurting anybody and making more money too.

Movies take a lot of time and money. Easier to do a one shot and tell the story that way. Its why Agent Carter later came to tv due to the popularity of the one shots with her. Same with Coulson.

Movies take a lot of time and money. Easier to do a one shot and tell the story that way. Its why Agent Carter later came to tv due to the popularity of the one shots with her. Same with Coulson.

And making a comparison between non-movie stars and movies stars. If you are going to do a Black Widow vehicle, you do it on the big screen. Scar Jo isn't doing a limited series or any tv series for many reasons. And they don't have to break the bank to make what I have said would be a smaller scale movie. Even is they dropped 150 mill on the movie it will make more than that international and at least that much domestic easy. So, I don't see why money would be an issue here. And, I don't care about the money. I'm not a studio executive. Speaking as a fan, I and others see a good opportunity for another different time of Marvel movie. Nothing wrong with a good spy romp. Instead of Cap at the head, it's Black Widow. Another popular MCU character. Still not seeing an issue here.

Not to turn this into a who I want for whom list, but Katee Sackhoff is who I picture as Carol Danvers.

Do we think that Bobbi/Mockingbird will ever crossover into the MCU or is she stuck on Agents of Shield now since Hawkeye is married off?  I would love to have her cameo in Civil War, but I just don't see that happening.

The ABC TV shows and Netflix shows are part of the MCU. Theoretically Joss Weedon was mad that someone else was a universe runner doing the same thing to him as he did as a show runner on his TV shows so from the Age of Ultron end the integration with Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter as The Winter Soldier and Ant-Man are.

And making a comparison between non-movie stars and movies stars. If you are going to do a Black Widow vehicle, you do it on the big screen. Scar Jo isn't doing a limited series or any tv series for many reasons. And they don't have to break the bank to make what I have said would be a smaller scale movie. Even is they dropped 150 mill on the movie it will make more than that international and at least that much domestic easy. So, I don't see why money would be an issue here. And, I don't care about the money. I'm not a studio executive. Speaking as a fan, I and others see a good opportunity for another different time of Marvel movie. Nothing wrong with a good spy romp. Instead of Cap at the head, it's Black Widow. Another popular MCU character. Still not seeing an issue here.

And the "movie star" thing is why Starbuck won't be chanced as a Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers unless the movie plans are dropped for a TV series. She is not a proven box office draw.

So what female actress is a proven box office draw other than Melissa McCarthy at this point? I would say ScarJo is, based off Lucy, but obviously not enough that Disney/Marvel wants to take a chance. In terms of Captain Marvel I don't think Emily Blunt is a box office draw. With this character casting a big name isn't the key imo. The major draw is the character and how connected it is to the MCU. I would say 50 to 75% of the draw to MCU movies is bc they are all somewhat interconnected. You feel if u miss one cog/film then u are missing a puzzle piece to the entire overall MCU story.

And the "movie star" thing is why Starbuck won't be chanced as a Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers unless the movie plans are dropped for a TV series. She is not a proven box office draw.

Who had heard of Chris Hemsworth before he was cast as Thor? Okay, Joss Whedon vouched for him, but still. Chris Pratt was best known from TV. The franchise is bigger than the actors at this point. You could get Uwe Boll to direct Adam Sandler as Stilt-Man and people would still go and see it. Yes, Sackoff is best known for TV. But she's a solid and known actor.

• Love 2

I really will never understand the desire to see a BW movie. SJ is truly awful in the role (when she's asked to emote anyway, I enjoy when she makes Steve uncomfortable) and I just don't care to know more about the character on any level.

It could probably be good if they made one. But with 75+ years of history they can draw on there are so many other great stories and characters they could turn into movies as well. Plus from the last interview I read with Scarlett Johannson about it she seemed pretty indifferent about a Black Widow movie. Not at all pushing for one, just very diplomatically saying that if there was interest in one she would do it.

Let Widow and Hawkeye form a team and go on missions. Get some SHIELD agents. Widow, May, Mockingbird & Daisy kicking ass on the big screen. Sign me up. I'm not a FEMALE POWER type of person. I just want to see good movies/good characters period. But, those four on screen kicking ass would be awesome. They are some of the best fighters the MCU has.

I really hope none of the actors from Agents of Shield show up in the movies. I mean some of them are talented, but even with those ones seeing them show up would just remind me how that show is nowhere near as good as just about any of the movies. I mean the show is ok, but I would rather rewatch Iron Man 2 than a lot of the episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)

Who had heard of Chris Hemsworth before he was cast as Thor? Okay, Joss Whedon vouched for him, but still. Chris Pratt was best known from TV. The franchise is bigger than the actors at this point. You could get Uwe Boll to direct Adam Sandler as Stilt-Man and people would still go and see it. Yes, Sackoff is best known for TV. But she's a solid and known actor.

Agreed.  The Marvel brand would be the drawing point for this film and if you're still worried about not having a big name, then hire a big-name to play the villain and fill the supporting cast with more "recognizable" actors.  I'd love to see KS as Carol.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

It could probably be good if they made one. But with 75+ years of history they can draw on there are so many other great stories and characters they could turn into movies as well. Plus from the last interview I read with Scarlett Johannson about it she seemed pretty indifferent about a Black Widow movie. Not at all pushing for one, just very diplomatically saying that if there was interest in one she would do it.

I really hope none of the actors from Agents of Shield show up in the movies. I mean some of them are talented, but even with those ones seeing them show up would just remind me how that show is nowhere near as good as just about any of the movies. I mean the show is ok, but I would rather rewatch Iron Man 2 than a lot of the episodes.

The shows isn't always the best (although some people acting like it's this terrible show are people I can't agree with) has nothing to do with the talent actually on screen. Ming Na and Adrianne Palicki have already proved on the show and elsewhere that they have the chops. Cloe Bennett is progressing every year. I've seen nothing to show that the main cast couldn't handle a supporting role in a movie. Which is all I'm saying. Have a expendables style team up at some point in the movies bringing some of the MCU's best fighters together. Maybe FitzSimmons helping on tech. I don't personally see a problem with this.

Tons of people that watch the movies don't watch the show and have no intention of watching it. The movies are already beyond crowded with a bazillion characters, there's no way the average audience is going to follow if they have the TV characters pop up randomly.

There's no point in paying them the salary if they can get cheaper extras or fill the role with an existing movie cast member. Marvel is notoriously cheap. They probably won't even have Chloe Bennett in the Inhumans movie (at least that's what I hope).

• Love 2

The shows isn't always the best (although some people acting like it's this terrible show are people I can't agree with) has nothing to do with the talent actually on screen. Ming Na and Adrianne Palicki have already proved on the show and elsewhere that they have the chops. Cloe Bennett is progressing every year. I've seen nothing to show that the main cast couldn't handle a supporting role in a movie. Which is all I'm saying. Have a expendables style team up at some point in the movies bringing some of the MCU's best fighters together. Maybe FitzSimmons helping on tech. I don't personally see a problem with this.

The problem I have is sort of the mental association. They could have the greatest living actors starring in Agents of Shield,  but if they showed up in one of the movies, it would annoy me anyways, just because my brain would associate it with the show and remind me how the show typically is not as good as the movies.

Which is kind of funny since if Matt Murdock showed up in one of the movies, I would totally be ok with it (other than wondering why no one is bleeding when he gets into a fight).

(edited)

The shows isn't always the best (although some people acting like it's this terrible show are people I can't agree with) has nothing to do with the talent actually on screen. Ming Na and Adrianne Palicki have already proved on the show and elsewhere that they have the chops. Cloe Bennett is progressing every year. I've seen nothing to show that the main cast couldn't handle a supporting role in a movie.

Heck, Iron Man or Cap beating the ever living shit out of Ward at the beginning of a movie before the main story starts would be just fine with me. Have the Hulk rip him in two.

So what female actress is a proven box office draw other than Melissa McCarthy at this point?

Well obviously Jennifer Lawrence, but I don't think it will be her.  Personally I still want Charlize Theron.  I could care less about her age.  She looks the part, has the bearing, and is enough of a movie star.

Edited by vb68

Here's how I would use Agents of Shield in an Avengers movie, which mirrors how they'd be used in the comics. 

In scene 1, the Shield Agents, which we'll say are as good a force as a group of non-powered group of heroes can be, in a normal seeming mission come across a villain or artifact X.  They get their ass kicked in short order since they're not in the weight class of a major villain, which builds the villain as a major threat. One of them escapes long enough to call Nick Fury who in turns brings in the Avengers. In the final scenes they are fighting the minions while the big team are going after the big boss.  5-10 minutes of screentime, but all to a purpose.

Here's how I would use Agents of Shield in an Avengers movie, which mirrors how they'd be used in the comics. 

In scene 1, the Shield Agents, which we'll say are as good a force as a group of non-powered group of heroes can be, in a normal seeming mission come across a villain or artifact X.  They get their ass kicked in short order since they're not in the weight class of a major villain, which builds the villain as a major threat. One of them escapes long enough to call Nick Fury who in turns brings in the Avengers. In the final scenes they are fighting the minions while the big team are going after the big boss.  5-10 minutes of screentime, but all to a purpose.

Except part of the problem is that most people who go to the movies, probably don't watch agents of shield or care who those characters are.  They might remember Coulson but as far as they knew he was dead.Like KatWay said a lot of these movies are already super crowded, I am not sure I want them to waste time explaining who the hell Sky or May or whoever are to get the audience up to speed.

• Love 1
(edited)

They probably won't even have Chloe Bennett in the Inhumans movie (at least that's what I hope).

I'm hoping when the Inhumans movie comes along that the royal family mentions Daisy/Skye in passing but they do it in a condescending way, like she was the "red-headed stepchild" of the family.  I could see Medusa say something like "Oh....her?"

Well obviously Jennifer Lawrence, but I don't think it will be her.

Again, she is the part of two different franchises so not really proven.  To me, a proven box office draw, is an actor or actress that draws big box office numbers and the film isn't part of a book series or comic book franchise.  It's why I brought up Melissa McCarthy, b/c no matter what film of hers comes out where she is the top billing star it has opened number 1.  Don't get me wrong, I love J-Law.

I'm not sure how I want any of the AoS showing up in the MCU, but I know Bobbi/Mockingbird needs to show up at some point so she can have some awkward interactions w/ Hawkeye.  They have to acknowledge to the Avengers at some point that Coulson is still alive though.  I'm not saying he has to show up in the film, but Civil War would be the best time to do it.  It would make them distrust Fury even more.  I know Whedon never intended Coulson to survive Loki's attack and that reviving him was the only way that Disney/ABC would allow AoS to go forward.

I am not sure I want them to waste time explaining who the hell Sky or May or whoever are to get the audience up to speed.

They wouldn't have to explain to the audience if they used them sparingly, and made sure they were in SHIELD uniforms or have the insignia somewhere on their clothes.  It could be just a nod/wink to the people who watch the tv series, an easter egg...albeit a large one.  

Edited by CMH1981
(edited)

They wouldn't need to explain who the Agents of Shield people are. Those of us who watch the show will know who they are, to those who don't they will be just like any random Shield agents only with names and a few more speaking parts. It doesn't need to be a big deal. Just a scene or two. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I've read some previous comments on this board (I try to keep up), so sorry if this has been brought up before...

But what are your general opinions about Black Widow and Bucky? Like/Don't like/Love/Loathe Entirely?

I feel like i have unpopular opinions concerning these two, and I know they seem to be loved on the internet...blah.

I'll just say it. They aren't my favorite characters and I find them a bit...overrated? That's probably a terrible word and I hope I don't offend anybody.

Don't get me wrong, they are good characters (they certainly aren't my least favorite). And if you love them then good for you. It's just...I feel like the internet is what sort of turned me off a bit about their characters?

People on the internet seem to almost literally worship them. They're great characters and deserve lots of love, but I don't know. It kind of bugs me, probably because I don't share the same intensity of love for the characters as most people do. The same with all the Tony Stark hate. It's completely understandable if you dislike his character, but i feel like he gets more hate than what he deserves? I don't know.

I'd be fine with never getting a Black Widow movie. She's been in a number of the MCU movies, and she's awesome in them, but I'm not really interested in a solo movie for her. I'd rather have the Captain Marvel movie we're getting.

• Love 1
To me, a proven box office draw, is an actor or actress that draws big box office numbers and the film isn't part of a book series or comic book franchise.

Jennifer Lawrence's movies with David O. Russell have done well, and aren't part of a book series or comic book franchise.

People on the internet seem to almost literally worship them.

My guess is that this is coming from the comic books, particularly the Winter Soldier story line.  Sometimes the enthusiasm of the comic fans can be a little wearing on us non-comic fans.

(edited)
Well obviously Jennifer Lawrence, but I don't think it will be her.

Again, she is the part of two different franchises so not really proven.  To me, a proven box office draw, is an actor or actress that draws big box office numbers and the film isn't part of a book series or comic book franchise.  It's why I brought up Melissa McCarthy, b/c no matter what film of hers comes out where she is the top billing star it has opened number 1.  Don't get me wrong, I love J-Law.

By this metric, though, I don't think Marvel has cast any proven box office draw as a movie lead except for RDJ (and it's easy to forget he was a huge risk at the time) and maybe Paul Rudd. Why would Captain Marvel be different?

Edited by stealinghome

Again, (Jennifer Lawrence) is part of two different franchises so not really proven.  

She has an Oscar.  That's not proven?  In any case, I can't think of any reason why she would want to jump into another superhero franchise.  

• Love 1

I think the Black Widow problem really came to a head in Age of Ultron. What we know of the character is that while she's a kick-ass spy who's totally deadly with an uncertain moral code behind her unwavering confidence, she uses her sexuality to extract gain access. We saw it in Iron Man 2 to get close to Tony. It was the opening scene of the Avengers, and she played it off Steve to make him uncomfortable in The Winter Soldier. Add in the fact that Scarlett naturally oozes sexuality and to your typical movie going fan it looks like she's there to coddle up next to these guys.

Thus the relationship with Banner in Age of Ultron came off a bit like, "She's onto the next one..." as opposed to "Two tortured souls are finding comfort in their shared problems." Then the "So, who's the real monster?" line was done so poorly that it was easy to interpret it as "I think I'm a monster because I can't bear Children" as opposed to the "I'm a monster for letting myself be submitted to this life and everything it entailed."

Where she had been built up for a couple movies, Age of Ultron undid a lot of that, and really showed how little Marvel has done with it's female heroines on the big screen.

An Oscar doesn't make anyone a huge box office draw, nor does it prove anything anymore considering they can basically be bought at this point...Weinstein anyone?  If I recall J-Law's films w/ Russell always open in limited release...unlike my example of McCarthy's comedy films that seem to always come in #1 opening weekend.  When I say huge box office draw, i'm saying that the film opens at #1 opening weekend and it's not tied to a franchise/book series.

If Marvel were to take a chance on Katee Sackhoff as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel who know, maybe they might kickstart her film career ala Chris Pratt.  I just think Katee looks the part as well as she has the draw of bring in some Battlestar fans along as well.  Wasn't there talks a year ago or so where Katee met with Marvel and there was a photo of her having a cast taken of her head that looked exactly like that helmet/headpiece that Carol now wears as the Captain.

(edited)

I am 100% indifferent to Bucky. I love Sebastian Stan from his role on Once Upon A Time, but I don't see a need or place for the Winter Soldier in the broader MCU outside of Captain America's movies. I do wish the next Captain America was going to be an actual Captain America with a focus on the Captain America-specific characters instead of the Avengers-in-all-but-name it appears its going to be. If it were going to be that, I'd certainly expect and be interested in more of Steve and Bucky dealing with the post-brainwashing Bucky healing. I'd also like Falcon being more central to the team and seeing specific Bucky/Natasha stuff that gets into their shared history. Winter Soldier was basically perfect to me in terms of the balance of characters and action/character development.

I'd be fine with never getting a Black Widow movie. She's been in a number of the MCU movies, and she's awesome in them, but I'm not really interested in a solo movie for her. I'd rather have the Captain Marvel movie we're getting.

I don't see it as an either/or and I don't think it should be seen that way. Captain Marvel's movie seems like its coming at exactly the logical point for her character and strengths. But we should have had a Black Widow solo outing as part of Phase II.

In fact, I would argue that there's a precise when for when we should have had the Black Widow solo: after CA: Winter Soldier and before Age of Ultron. Winter Soldier ended with Black Widow making a huge sacrifice by letting a bunch of her secrets be exposed as part of blowing up Hydra. She then leaves the movie in this liminal state where she needs to deal with the fallout from this but we don't know exactly how. That was perfect set up for a Black Widow solo that showed us the repercussions of the exposure and gave us some much needed backstory and character development on Black Widow. That would then set her character up for the Age of Ultron events better. I mean heck, Black Widow is one of the only and the longest superheroines in the MCU and we literally don't even know whether or not she has superpowers. (I know the default assumption seems to be that she doesn't, but we don't actually know that. Her portrayal has been ambiguous enough that her kick-ass fighting abilities and resilience could be standard movie action hero gifts or could be from her having her comic-book counterpart's enhanced agility and healing powers. I think Agent Carter's portrayal of the Black Widow program strongly hinted at super-serum enhancements but they didn't commit one way or the other either)

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 2
(edited)
I don't see it as an either/or and I don't think it should be seen that way. Captain Marvel's movie seems like its coming at exactly the logical point for her character and strengths. But we should have had a Black Widow solo outing as part of Phase II.

Agreed. There's no reason it has to be an either/or. Again--Marvel bumped back a good part of its upcoming slate for a Spiderman movie no one was asking for. They didn't have to drop Dr. Strange or any of the other planned movies to do so. I'm pretty sure they could squeeze in a Black Widow movie if they wanted to, especially considering that everyone has been clamoring for one. Marvel is actively choosing not to. Instead we get...Ant-Man.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1
(edited)

Then the "So, who's the real monster?" line was done so poorly that it was easy to interpret it as "I think I'm a monster because I can't bear Children" as opposed to the "I'm a monster for letting myself be submitted to this life and everything it entailed."

Here's another unpopular opinion of mine (please don't hate me, and please educate me if needed). I guess I'm confused about the rage over that particular line being interpreted into her thinking of herself as a monster for not being able to bear children. Is she a monster because she can't have kids? Certainly not. We know that. But if she did think of it that way though, then those are her own thoughts and feelings. Like, I feel that's a legitimate issue that happens in real life. Some women probably do or have felt like monsters, or feel inadequate about not being able to have kids. Should they have to live/grow up with that mindset of "no kids=monster"? absolutely not! I just don't see how it particularly demeans Black Widow's character. Whether or not that line was supposed to be interpreted as such, I just...I don't know. I just don't understand how this BW issue turned AoU into the spawn of satan for so many.

And sorry for bringing up this subject again, I don't want to cause trouble. I've just resigned myself to having a lot of unpopular opinions within the MCU.

If BW had a movie/gets a movie then I would have been or would be fine with that. Good for BW. But if she doesn't, I'll live.

You do raise a good point that the BW movie should have happened in phase II or even phase I for that matter.

I like Hawkeye, i love both Starks to death (though I recognize that they have issues), BW and Bucky are okay. Thor has grown on me, I still don't really care for Jane or Darcy. I loved how campy Ronan was, I like Loki even though I can understand why some people think he's overused. I don't mind all the villains getting killed off. Fury is awesome but I still think he's sketchy. I prefer Tony and Pepper being independent of one another (but they're fine together too I guess). Rhodey and Sam are cool.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

You do raise a good point that the BW movie should have happened in phase II or even phase I for that matter.

A lot of the problem with that is scheduling though. I like that for now Marvel has stuck to 2 movies a year. If they had kept that policy which movie from Phase 1 or 2 gets deleted or pushed back so that there can be a Black Widow movie? Considering that most of the movies are set up for something else, and that Avengers movies pretty much have to have an early summer release, the only movie that they could maybe lose is Thor 2. They probably could have made a Black Widow movie instead of one of the Iron Man sequel, but the Iron Man movies are usually the best box office performers in the MCU (and with the amount they are paying RDJ I am not sure they would want to shelve one of his movies).

Here's the thing about not having a female-centric movie until 2020 or whenever Captain Marvel is coming out.  With the success of Ant Man and, to a lesser extent, Guardians of the Galaxy, it's clear that Marvel can pick and choose most any property in their catalog and make it succeed.  Guardians was a title that was dormant for four decades and was barely in the top 100 sellers. Ant Man was a character that has NEVER as far as I know headlined a solo title before the one just started to capitalize on the movie, and the Scott Lang version of the character is a complete nonentity who is the third most prominent Marvel Superhero with shrinking powers behind The Wasp and the Hank Pym Ant Man, both of whom were founding Avengers. The Wasp led the Avengers for notable amounts of time. Cap, Iron Man, and Thor deferred to her during her reign in the late 80's. Scott Lang is just a name you pull from the shelf when you need a random scrub to, say, date Jessica Jones in Alias or kill off for unearned gravitas in Avengers Disassembled.  He was literally no one I gave a second thought to before Edgar Wright decided filming shrunken action scenes would be cool and didn't want Hank Pym's domestic abuse baggage (I'm guessing).  His profile was right around that of Jack of Hearts.  (Who?  Exactly.)

Here's my attempt to classify various Marvel projects in terms of their profiles in the Marvel Universe. This isn't my preference, but just my view of their importance in the company's eyes.

A List (Foundational characters of the comic book universe. Always has multiple titles going on simultaneously, frequently guest stars on other characters' titles)

Spider Man (Would be alone in the A+ list), X-Men, Avengers, Wolverine

B List (Usually has a longstanding ongoing title. Important characters in the universe.)

Fantastic Four, Punisher, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Hulk

C List (Characters and properties who have sustained titles in the Marvel Universe for 100 issues or more. Titles may have periods of greatness and success that may not survive eras with lesser creative teams [leading to cancellation].)

Thunderbolts, X-Force/X Factor, New Mutants, Exiles, Black Panther, She-Hulk, Runaways, Spider Girl, Silver Surfer, Defenders, Luke Cage, Alpha Flight, The Thing, Deadpool

D List (Characters and properties that are usually supporting characters that sometimes have a limited series or short lived ongoing series)

Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, Cloak and Dagger, Dazzler, New Warriors, Moon Night, Inhumans, SHIELD, Spider Woman, Defenders, Nightcrawler, Black Cat, Kitty Pryde

E List (Strictly supporting characters that may disappear from the Marvel Universe for long stretches of time)

Ant Man, Jack of Hearts, Wasp, Wonder Man, other random solo Avengers, X-Men, and other various team members

F List (Joke characters we're not meant to take that seriously)

Squirrel Girl, Impossible Man, Big Hero 6?

Others may disagree here and there, but I don't think I'm more than one level off in any of my assessments. The point is that picking Ant Man of all characters and making it into a success means that they aren't bound by going by a comics characters' profile anymore to make successful movies. There were a lot of properties that were more prominent that they could have chosen, but they turned this nothing character into box office gold.

The time when we have to be sold by a title is over. The Marvel stamp and track record is now the selling point. They could paint Amy Adams green, give her CGI muscles, and call her She Hulk in an Ally McBealish romantic comedy and it will work at this point. They could make an Alpha Flight movie with Northstar's wedding as the centerpiece and it will work at this point.  There really isn't any reason that they can't make the Marvel movie universe somewhat inclusive by giving someone other than white guys the chance to headline a movie. (Thank goodness for Black Panther in 2018 and Luke Cage on TV) That's why it seems like such a slight to not have a Black Widow or another high profile female hero on the movie docket. The longer they wait the more the first woman centered flick will have to stand in for all women, everywhere, and thus be set up to fail.

• Love 2
(edited)

If Marvel was planning a list of movies they are going to make, they decided to choose some obscure ones with Guardians and Ant-Man. So it does look like they just decided to exclude making a Black Widow movie. Not because they didn't have room for her movie. They had a script that was being written for it. They choose not to make it and make a bunch more white male lead movies.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2