Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Yeah, the first movie was kinda silly. The Red Skull especially was hard to take seriously. Although Peggy is probably the best MCU love interest - in fact, i like her way more than Steve.

• Love 3
(edited)

Comics writer Peter David(Incredible Hulk, X-Factor) tweeted a few weeks ago that the first Captain America movie now feels like a two hour long Agent Carter episode!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Apparently there will not be any post-credits scene in Ultron...

http://www.ew.com/ar...oss-whedon-says

But....but.....damnit.  I mean, I understand their point, but still.....  :(  At least there's one part way through.

From wlk68:

I am so excited for this movie! *flails*

Seriously, I cannot even ... *flails again*

I am taking May 1 off from work and will spend the day at the theater where there will be even more flailing. I've already got my tickets.

Bought mine the other day and, man, are they going fast!  I got distracted and timed out while putting in my credit card info, started over immediately, and had to choose new seats because the ones I originally wanted were taken.  I've never been this excited for a movie opening--especially a sequel.  I've never pre-ordered tickets for a movie.  This one, though....I can't wait.  We're going to the IMAX theater at Universal City Walk--that's a 7 story screen.  Squee!! 

• Love 1

I'm excited for it, even though I won't be seeing it until it's rentable (cinema's are too expensive these days).

I guess there are some spoilers floating around on tumblr that deal with a comic, that are making people rage, especially at Joss Whedon. I just don't understand the hate. I don't think I've seen anything of his except the Avengers, and I thought he did just fine with that. But apparently he destroys characters and changes things, etc., etc. even though I can't see it (I've never read any of the comics either). Like, the MCU is a separate universe all on it's own. I have no problem with them changing stuff or whatever, because I see it in the sense of when a comic gets rebooted (things get altered, etc.)

(edited)

I think it's weird about there being no-post credit scene.  Feels like kinda a cop out to me.  I mean at the very least they could do a good tease up for Ant-Man, which I'm thinking could use the help.  That could send some extra eyeballs to it.

It is interesting that both Linda Cardellini and Julie Delpy are now confirmed members of the cast.

Edited by vb68

I think it's weird about there being no-post credit scene.  Feels like kinda a cop out to me.  I mean at the very least they could do a good tease up for Ant-Man, which I'm thinking could use the help.  That could send some extra eyeballs to it.

It is interesting that both Linda Cardellini and Julie Delpy are now confirmed members of the cast.

My understanding is that there is a "post movie" clip, I'm assuming previewing the next movie in the MCU, but that there isn't a "post credit" scene.  So we are getting one clip and not the usual two that we have gotten with the last movies.

• Love 1
I guess there are some spoilers floating around on tumblr that deal with a comic, that are making people rage, especially at Joss Whedon. I just don't understand the hate. I don't think I've seen anything of his except the Avengers, and I thought he did just fine with that. But apparently he destroys characters and changes things, etc., etc. even though I can't see it

Just forget it. There are people pissed off with some of Joss' decisions in his previous works, or those convinced he "destroyed" some of MCU characters, etc. I do admit I'm a big Whedon fan and will defend most of his work to the end, but still, the vast majority of the critique I've seen is simply laughable.

I think it's weird about there being no-post credit scene.  Feels like kinda a cop out to me.

Seriously? It's just placement. You can easily perform the same function in a different way.

(edited)

Seriously? It's just placement. You can easily perform the same function in a different way.

Well, it's something they have gotten people looking forward to and expecting. It got to where it was just an exciting part of seeing the movies in the theaters.  Like last year, getting a look at  Scarlet Witch/ Quicksilver  for the first time at the very tail end of Winter Solider.  It was just fun.  But like someone else said, there will be one part way through.  But those tend to tie up the preceding movie like Winter Solider seeing himself in the museum or Baby Groot.

I still think a clip at the end featuring Ant-Man would  would be just about the best advertising for the movie that they could do.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Well, let's be real... there was no reason on Earth to have that Shawarma scene at the tail end of Avengers... save that it was hilarious. I'm trying to think of when they started tossing two in there... and I think it was Avengers because they first had Thanos and then the Shawarma. After that, Iron Man 3 only had one post credits scene, but Dark World, Winter Soldier, and Guardians had two. They certainly aren't obligated to do two but are they saying they aren't doing ANY kind of teaser in Ultron?

• Love 1

there was no reason on Earth to have that Shawarma scene at the tail end of Avengers.

That's what I was getting at saying it was a cop out.  That  clip was so good that they can't top it?  Please.  But yeah,  at least there is one.

That's what I was getting at saying it was a cop out. That clip was so good that they can't top it? Please. But yeah, at least there is one.

Have Robert Downey jr in a bathrobe telling us to all go home.

• Love 10

They've said they're doing one. Which is what every MCU movie up to Avengers had, just one.

Okay... I'm all right with it then. Iron Man 3 only had one as well. (I loved it though... Tony using Bruce as his own personal therapist but Bruce slept through the whole thing? Science Bros! But also... yeah, as if Bruce has time for Tony's whining.)

Science Bros! But also... yeah, as if Bruce has time for Tony's whining.)

Does Bruce Banner have anything better to do? I mean it is not like he has a job/secret identity or anything. If putting up with your best friend's boring story for a few hours means you get to stay for free in his mansion and have access to Stark Industries labs/research/equipment it sounds like a pretty good deal to me. 

Well, Bruce himself said he didn't have the right temperament to be 'that kind of doctor.' Not that Tony cared as he decided that his issues started way before the storyline in question and started up all over again. And I would imagine that a mind like Bruce's can be put to much, much, much better use than to be Tony's sleeping sounding board. Other than a good nap, Bruce should probably be poking around the lab and just being all 'Not paying attention, Tony, better if I don't anyway!'

So I hear that the new Female Thor comic is selling better than the regular old male Thor. Do you think that Marvel would incorporate that in the movies? Like at the end of Thor: Ragnarok. Thor makes a heroic sacrifice, dying in the process. Mjolnir falls down out of his hand. The last shot of the movie is a female hand reaching down and picking it up... I wouldn't mind seeing that.

• Love 2

IDK, pretty much half of the appeal of Thor for me is Chris Hemsworth. Not sure if I'd love a female Thor. Why can't they just include more actual female superheroes? They have enough of those, yet continue to ignore or marginalise them (Janet van Dyne being the token "dead wife" in Ant Man...).

Also, out of all the superheroes being genderswapped, or otherwise changed, Thor is the one that I don't like to see changed, because Thor is the character's actual name, not a superhero persona. I don't see how getting Mjolnir makes you the new "Thor". You get his powers, but why should you get his identity? Even without his hammer, he's still Thor, that's what his parents called him at his birth. It just rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 5

IDK, pretty much half of the appeal of Thor for me is Chris Hemsworth. Not sure if I'd love a female Thor. Why can't they just include more actual female superheroes? They have enough of those, yet continue to ignore or marginalise them (Janet van Dyne being the token "dead wife" in Ant Man...).

Also, out of all the superheroes being genderswapped, or otherwise changed, Thor is the one that I don't like to see changed, because Thor is the character's actual name, not a superhero persona. I don't see how getting Mjolnir makes you the new "Thor". You get his powers, but why should you get his identity? Even without his hammer, he's still Thor, that's what his parents called him at his birth. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I take your point. But if Hemsworth doesn't want to return after his contract is up, whenever that is, this is a way to keep going. Also, in the comics Thor is a name, but it's also a title. Four other people have become Thor. Red Norvell, Dargo Ktor, Eric Masterson, this new mysterious woman.

This is just a fun idea, I have no idea what they'll do. But it occurs to me that since Ragnarok is scheduled for 2017, there must be some discussion about this going in in Marvel right now.

I don't know who the woman in the comics is, but if Hemsworth were to bow out and Jaime Alexander picked up the hammer in his place I'd be a guaranteed opening night ticket purchase. Bonus, no more Natalie Portman as chemistry-free love interest!

• Love 3

I don't know who the woman in the comics is, but if Hemsworth were to bow out and Jaime Alexander picked up the hammer in his place I'd be a guaranteed opening night ticket purchase.

DUH. I mean, who wouldn't want to watch Lady Sif kicking ass? I'd just still call her Sif and not "Thor". Maybe it's my love of germanic mythology that makes me so cranky on the subject (but still, it's his actual name...Captain America is a title, Iron Man is a title, Thor is a freaking name). No more Natalie Portman might also be a plus. I don't mind Jane, but she really serves no purpose other than the token love interest.

If they'd genderswap the actual Thor (I don't know...Loki/science/magic/aliens made it happen) then I could get behind it.

There's no genderswap in the comic, though. During one big crossover, someone whispered something in Thor's ear that made him drop the hammer in the Blue Area of the Moon (it's a Marvel thing) and he was no longer able to pick it up. Someone else came along and... pretty sure we still don't know who she is. (I'm a little behind.) Thor has acknowledged that she's worthy and so now has decided to go by 'Odinson' while she goes by 'Thor.'

Technically, he's still "Thor Odinson" but if he's not able to carry the hammer that grants the wielder the 'power of Thor' than Odinson he will remain... for now.

Although who the hell knows what's going to happen during this "it all ends" storyline they're building up to. Hell... I think Thor sacrificed himself on the outer reaches of the universe in a recent issue. Not that it will last but still...

I don't know who the woman in the comics is, but if Hemsworth were to bow out and Jaime Alexander picked up the hammer in his place I'd be a guaranteed opening night ticket purchase.

She's the first person I thought of. 

Gah!  I want to say something about Agents of Shield, but it doesn't belong here, so.....Speaking of Shield, has anyone heard anything about Coulson making an appearance in Age of Ultron?

I heard something about Ages of Ultron that is upsetting to me, but I'll put it in spoiler tags, just in case:

A romance between the Hulk/Banner and Natasha?  REALLY?  As a firm member of Team Hawkeye, this is very upsetting to me.  He is my favorite Avenger, and she is a close second - and I LOVE the bond between them.  In the original Avengers movie, their scene together when he is recovering from Loki's possession is one of my favorites in the whole movie.

I love Jeremy Renner, anyway.  He's one of the most underrated actors out there.  I thought he deserved the Oscar for "The Hurt Locker."

If this is true, I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about this movie.  Of course, the fact that he has the best role, as stated above, is a huge point in its favor.

• Love 2

Sophia, the other part to that rumor is

There's no Clintasha because Hawkeye is married with two kids. (Which I guess means he was married in the original movie?  That part's unclear to me.)  All the Clintasha people on tumblr have officially lost their shit, and now hate Joss, hate Renner, hate Scarlett, and think they were lied to. I wish I was kidding.

OMG, kattybiz, is that true?  I guess I'll let other folks see the movie for me first and decide if I can deal.

If it *is* true, I should have known better than to get attached to a specific outcome in a Josh Whedonverse.  I still haven't forgiven him for killing off some of my favorite Firefly characters. 

Sophia -

I've seen at least one review from a critic that mentions what you brought up as definitely true, so I'm assuming so.  I have a friend who's seeing the movie on April 14th as part of the European press, and I should know then. 

I'm more upset over Clint having a family, because I just don't think that fits AT ALL.  I know this isn't the comics, but I think he fits more with having a relationship with another agent.  I have a feeling Joss is going for "Clint wants the life he didn't have as a kid - happy family time in Iowa," and I've never seen that as part of his character.  Bruce/Nat doesn't bother me as much, since I was always a Nat/Steve and Clint/Phil shipper.  All that said, I'm thrilled Clint has a bigger part this time, I'm still going to see the movie, although I may wait until video.

Edited by kattybiz

Wow these spoilers are upsetting. I am not hugely invested in The Avengers though, thankfully, but it still annoys and disappoints me. 

I do kinda ship Clint/Natasha, but I could live with Steve/Natasha if I had to... But Bruce, seriously? Feels like a crack pairing.

Edited by FurryFury

Hawkeye's most defining trait is that he's just a regular guy. In a team full of gods, supersoldiers, geniuses in armor, and robots, he's the normal person with no powers who can also step up to be a hero(and yes, I'm aware there's a quote in the recent EW that says the same thing but I've thought that or a long time before).It's what makes him one of the great Avengers. If the movie stays true to that, then the rest doesn't really matter.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

Likewise.  Mine just plummeted through the floor.  That's too big of a reach for me.  I'm completely bummed. 

Natasha and Bruce?  Give me a break.  Who in their right mind would want to have a romance with someone who could turn into a ginormous green monster and flatten them with one meaty fist?  ESPECIALLY someone with her issues? 

Also, I loved the sense of Hawkeye as the lone warrior, with his one real connection being with Natasha, built in their shared experiences.  The idea of him having this second life with a happy family is completely incongruous - and yet another example of why Joss Whedon makes me nuts. He seems to delight in setting things up so the fans want things one way, and doing the exact opposite.  It's as if he deliberately sets up a sacred cow and then gores it.

It wouldn't bother me if everyone stayed completely platonic, either, like the Agent Carter show, but this latest development is a huge disappointment to me.

Yeah, I don't care one way or another about Clint and Natasha actually being a couple. I'd be fine with it if it stayed an implied thing like in Avengers and Captain America, but I'm fine with it being made canon that they're not.

But I HATE Bruce/Natasha with a fiery passion. It's an out of left field thing that personally, I don't think makes any sense. Also, while I know I shouldn't prejudge a movie I haven't seen, it is hard for me to imagine how Bruce/Natasha can be in Age of Ultron without being a significant part of Natasha's storyline. I don't want romance to ever be a significant part of her storyline unless she's leading the movie. It can be a B-plot to an A-plot of her saving the world.

• Love 1

Nobody seems to be that upset about any of these developments from the screenings, so either there weren't any die hard shippers in there or Joss managed to make it work.

My final thoughts on this are

Hawkeye was married in the both 616 and Ultimates so I can believe him married in the MCU. As for Bruce and Natasha I don't believe it came "out of left field" because in the first Avengers, a big character element was Natasha's fear of the Hulk and Banner's distrust of her, both of which got resolved by the end of the movie.

Edited by VCRTracking

Regarding the spoilers, I could potentially see it, if done well. It would all grate far less, if they'd just give her a solo movie already. They have one female character,

she shouldn't have to be another major male character's love interest. I have the same issue with Reboot ST Uhura: the one kickass female character they have in a sea of men and basically 97% of her storyline is "Spock's girlfriend". That said I cautiously trust these writers more than the ST ones, so...we'll see

Well in regards

to the Star Trek reboot and Spock and Uhura, that did come out of left field when they suddenly showed that they were couple even though they weren't in the TV show or previous movies. Their was mild flirtation in one episode but that's it. We didn't see them meet, flirt or any development up to that point. In AoU it doesn't seem like Bruce and Natasha are together in the beginning, and that it happens only as the movie goes along.

I'm really interested most in seeing the Vision and how that will look. I like Paul Bettany as J.A.R.V.I.S. and finally seeing him and not just hearing him will be great.

While I would prefer Hawkeye's characterization to be like that in the Matt Fraction/David Aja comics, nothing I'm reading rumors about bothers me, so as long as this movie doesn't engage in more genuflecting to Phil Coulson's alleged awesomeness. I've made my peace with Wanda and Pietro's origin being scrapped, and Tony Stark being responsible for Ultron rather than Hank Pym, and those were the big potential sticking points for me.

As for

Natasha and Bruce being an item, well, Natasha doesn't strike me as a person who's averse to living dangerously.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

I enjoy a lot of things about Tumblr but the fangirl dial gets turned up to eleven there. I recall all of the wailing and rending of garments about Loki in The Dark World as well as the vitriol against Jane and how everything bad that happened was her fault. She hit Loki! Frigga died! Loki died! Jane's fault! We have no more beautiful Loki manpain!

So... whatever. Now they're going to get all up in arms for whatever's going on in Ultron because they latched onto an idea and decided it was real. That's on them. And, somehow, I don't think it's going to affect the movie or how it does at the box office at all.

• Love 4